PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: The Last Airbender

Shanghai Alice
December 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm sure many of you have seen it. I'm sure some of you have forgotten about it.

I had to, for quite a while.

However... I'm recently thinking about the show more, catching re-runs, arguing on Avatar forums...

The show is fantastic, deep, and all around awesome.

Discuss.

otaku-dono
December 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
From what I've seen of this show (which isn't as much as I would like it to be sadly), it's pretty amazing. I should get around to watching it all sometime.

AshPikastar
December 22nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Now this was a great show that I have watched. They are making a new season but it's not going to be on the characters that we are use to seeing. The first two books where my favorite out of the three.

Shanghai Alice
December 22nd, 2010, 10:16 PM
I prefer the last two, actually. Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai were... Awesome. As was Toph.

SamuraiMaster
December 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
The show was decent. The live action movie shoulda never been made.

AshPikastar
December 22nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
The live action was horrible. I didn't want to see it but my mom's BF wanted me to go with him to see it. The graphics where alright in the movie but I loved the ending credits. Azula was one villain I actually liked. Ty Lee and Sokka were my favorite.

King Gumball
December 22nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
The action was awful, the acting was terrible some of the worst I've ever seen, the movie was horrendous. There was just too much to put in one movie, and it was a mistake making it. The Anime was more than excellent, but the movie... I regret letting my eye's view such a monster piece. Sorry to be so harsh, but everything about the movie was bad (except the fire bending, the only thing I liked).

Mew~
December 23rd, 2010, 07:59 AM
One of my most favourite animated shows ever.

I didn't really like the live action movie, I hope they make Book II(Earth) much more better.

AshPikastar
December 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Did anyone use to play the video games? I only played the third one. I hope they don't make a second live action movie to follow the books.

Otherworld9)
December 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
To me, the Avatar: Last Airbender is the best anime show I ever saw. Decent characters that mature and change and know their places and mistakes. Good mix of action and drama, and excellent art and animation. No mistakes, no bad episode, epic and awesome. Too bad it was short.

Kelp
December 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
The animated series was amazing. <3 I still watch the reruns any chance I get.

But yeah, the movie was below par. I don't think M. Night was right for the job. :3

Izanagi
December 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
anime
I hate to be "that guy" but it's not an anime.

Anyway, it's one of my all time, if not my, favorite cartoon ever.

Mew~
December 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I hate to be "that guy" but it's not an anime.

Anyway, it's one of my all time, if not my, favorite cartoon ever.
Well, the creators themselfs said in an interview that the series was based on Japanese animation anyway, so it practically is.

Trap-Eds
December 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yay! I loved this series. It was creative, had engaging characters, and FUNNY. I've played the first videogame on DS and enjoyed that too. Despite the REALLY annoying bosses, it was fun to play through...but it ends really abruptly though. :[
I haven't seen the live action movie, but I want to. Just to see how bad it is. xD

MysticFlames
December 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
@Izanagi: If it makes you feel any better, I thought the same thing, but I wasn't going to point it out.

Anyway, I loved the show; it just had such a well thought out story, setting, and mechanics. And by mechanics I mean all the details about bending and how it worked. (I just liked all the cool ideas like water benders being able to bend blood, or how earth benders can't normally bend metal, or how Toph sees things through vibrations; stuff like that)

It was just all well thought out. I'm glad it had such an epic end, although I'm sad it did have to end.

Now, the movie. Ugh. That movie. I don't even want to rant about it.

Shanghai Alice
January 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
To revivify this thread...

What are your opinions on Korra? (The series)

Dubstep
January 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM
One of my favorites!

As for the new series, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm worried it's going to be botched horribly, or I won't come to like the new batch of characters as much as I did the originals. On the other hand, I'm excited for the possibility of another epic show with some of the same people involved in making the first.

A Pixy
January 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM
An amazing show.

Amazing animation.
Amazing characters.
Amazing moments.
Amazing plot.

I would call this the best piece of Western children's animation of last decade until you get to the biggest Deus Ex Machina the series ever had in the finale.

How did Aang's chakra get opened up on that rock? I kinda get the logic behind it, kinda like a pressure point and all the pressure Azula locked in there was released, but even then it's a stretch. What's worse, I find it kidna lucky that the rock pillar Aang happened to be hiding in front of happened to have a small rock capable of hitting Aang right where he needed to be hit. A centimetre higher and it would've snapped his spine. What kind of monkey writing is that? It's the biggest let down this show has ever had IMO.

Oh well, Phineas and Ferb can have that honour I guess. :(

Oh, and I don't have any thoughts on tLoK, it could go either way. :U

Shanghai Alice
January 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Yeah, that was kind of... Well...
I don't want to use destiny, or any sort of mystical powers as an excuse, but I don't think I'd be too out of line in doing so. All of the coincidences and improbably events are handwaved as "Destiny." I mean, the series does give a "Screw destiny!" message, but...

As for tLoK...

The fanbase will have grown up a few years, and, if taken into account, that could wreck or save the series.

Will they shoot for a new generation, making it aimed at younger children? Doubtful.

Will they shoot for the old fans, making it Darkier and Edgier? I... honestly don't know. The original series was already pretty dark for a Nick show... Well, nowhere near Invader Zim. But.

zekes
January 11th, 2011, 11:57 PM
The anime is great but the movie wasn't. I am not satisfied how the story was being portrayed at the big screen but still I like the cartoon version of it.

Noblebeastx
January 20th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I used to love the show intill i saw every episode and now it seems like on nick that it is on almost everyday a few hours and they just over play it to much.

GlitchCity
February 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
The show is pretty addicting. It doesnt show on the main Nickelodeon channel anymore, but it comes on nicktoons (in the US) I have seen every episode about 7 times, and I just love to watch the re-runs. The action in this show is amazingly awesome for a cartoon nicktoon. Also did you guys hear about the next saga ;] Avatar the Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra. Im so excited :D

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/07/21/legend-of-korra-the-creators-of-avatar-the-last-airbender-on-the-new-spinoff/

Captain Hobo.
February 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I love the show, video games and movie.

It is so awesome one of my favorite shows ever.

I have seen every episode of the show. I love the characters and the storyline and everything.

Shanghai Alice
February 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I love the show,
:D

video games-_-

and movie.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xuElav5dIVQ/S7dq91r4ERI/AAAAAAAADXw/FyQORXtaY4o/s640/%5BANISAB-RAW%5D+Angel+Beats%21+-+01+%E3%80%8CDeparture%E3%80%8D++%281280x720+x264+AAC%29.mp4_snapshot_00.31_%5B2010.04.04_00.19.21%5D.jpg

Naaaah, joking...

TheAppleFreak
February 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Ah, Avatar. I loved that series. They did an awesome job making it, and I commend them for that.

Also, I got to meet Jack DeSena (Sokka's voice actor) at a family reunion. Because we're family. That's pretty sweet.

Hermione Granger
February 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I liked the movie. They missed many things and skipped right directly to the Northern Water tribe. Still, great movie.

Vyro
February 14th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Don't even TALK about that movie.

I HATE the movie.

The show was okay though.

DustyFray
February 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM
movie = no..

show = win..

I can't wait till the spin-off comes around, that will be very interesting to see how they do it. I hope they dont make it like the movie, and/or ruin it..

Margaux
February 27th, 2011, 08:23 AM
That animated series was amazing. It was just.. omigosh, it was so good. And now that I'm a little older and re-watching parts of it, I'm really starting to appreciate all the effort put into characters, animation, story-line, etc.

My favorite was Zuko, I think I was rooting for him since episode one (not to catch the avatar, just for him to have some sort of happy ending.)

Also did you guys hear about the next saga ;] Avatar the Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra. Im so excited :D

I know I'll watch this just because its avatar, and I know I'll get all nostalgic for the old series. I hope this is good.

Kuromi
February 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I enjoyed the animated series greatly. It was one of those shows that left you wanting to know what happens next. Though, there were a few episodes that were okay. But I'll be sure to watch the spin-off when it comes out.

As for the movie, it wasn't that great of a movie, they could have better or not made a live action at all. It had a few flaws with the casting, but I enjoyed who they had casted for Aang.