PDA

View Full Version : New Hayao Miyazaki Movie?

pokemongarnet
December 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
There is a new Hayao Miyazaki Movie coming out and I wondered what your guys opinions are on what information is released of it. You can check it out here (http://www.ghibliworld.com/).
I myself am looking forward to it alot, I've never seen one of his movies in theaters, plus this sounds interesting.

jigglyppuff8
December 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Actually, it's directed by Goro Miyazaki, not Hayao. JSYK.
Eh, I don't particularly care for theatrical releases anyway until BD/DVD season.

Weeaboo Name
December 23rd, 2010, 05:29 AM
I hope it's a decent film, mainly because how people will constantly compare his works to his dads. I feel a bit sorry for him. ^^

I read the MaL page for it a wile ago and I'm not overly hyped for it to tell you the truth, i guess I need to mature my taste in anime a little.

pokemongarnet
December 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Wait, you mean Arietty is directed by Goro? Darn. Not really a bad thing i just thougt it was by Hayao, or at least that it was. I haven't seen many of Goro's Movies, any actually.

EDIT: I checked Wikipedia, and I know it isn't very reliable, and it said it was written by Hayao Miyazaki, not directed by him though.

jigglyppuff8
December 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Arietty? What's that? I thought you were referring to Kokurikozaka Kara (http://myanimelist.net/anime/10029/Kokurikozaka_Kara). Only other film Goro directed was Gedo Senki, btw.

Esper
December 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm confused on which movie we're talking about. Hayao Miyazaki hasn't directed anything recently except Ponyo.

Gedo Senki, directed by Goro and a few years old now, is the "newest" Ghibli movie to come out in theatres. Arrietty is the most recently completed Ghibli movie. Kokurikozaka Kara is the newest project that Ghibli's announced.

Gedo Senki was bad. It had nice music, and was pretty, but that's the best you can say about it. It didn't hold up as a movie and it certainly didn't resemble the books it was "based" on.

Arrietty is good from what I heard from someone who's seen it. Better than Ponyo, so I have high hopes for it.

Kokurikozaka Kara, if it's going to be directed by Goro, even if Hayao is has done the script, makes me uneasy. I really hope Goro has learned something from his mistakes and it turns out to be a good movie.

pokemongarnet
December 24th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I was talking about Arriety: The Borrower. Sorry if things were hazy there. If it is supposed to be better than Ponyo I'm excited for it because dispite the extremely strange idea for ponyo I enjoyed it.

adhdguitar
December 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
The only two Miyazaki films I've seen so far are Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro,(loved both) but I've been told Spirited Away is the best. Anyway, I look forward to he new one coming out and hope it gets the American release it deserves, unlike the treatment most films got here.

Ninja Caterpie
December 27th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Arriety sounds interesting, and I really have to watch every Ghibli thing that comes out from now on anyway :)

icomeanon6
January 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Arrietty is by a new director named Hiromasa Yonebayashi, the youngest to direct for Ghibli. Hayao Miyazaki wrote the screenplay for Arrietty, but he isn't directing anything right now. I remember reading The Borrowers as a kid, so I'm really looking forward to Arrietty.

Better than Ponyo, so I have high hopes for it.

Better than Ponyo? That would be fantastic, but I think you might be undervaluing Ponyo. That was a magical little movie, I'm so glad I saw it in a theater. (I remember how all the little five year olds started giggling when they saw Totoro in the Ghibli logo. Just goes to show what a genius Miyazaki is, if you ask me.)

Esper
January 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Better than Ponyo? That would be fantastic, but I think you might be undervaluing Ponyo. That was a magical little movie, I'm so glad I saw it in a theater. (I remember how all the little five year olds started giggling when they saw Totoro in the Ghibli logo. Just goes to show what a genius Miyazaki is, if you ask me.)
Yep, that's what I've heard, and that coming from someone who's seen all the Ghibli movies, too, so I'm inclined to believe it.

Don't get me wrong. Ponyo is good. I like it. I own it. But I don't think it's the absolute best thing to come from Miyazaki and that's sort of the feeling I've gotten from other people who've seen a lot of his work.