PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Dubbing Company?

A Pixy
December 23rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
So, what's your favourite dubbing company? Seems simple enough. As for me...

Buena Vista Home Entertainment.

Yes, Disney does count as a dubbing company. n_n

Whenever I see a Ghibli film in English, I know I have nothing to fear because BVHM's dubs are the most flawless and perfect dubs I've ever seen. It's like every dub is another dubbing company on a good day. Another thing they do differently, is, instead of other companies which have a repitoire of actors to choose from, BVHM has oodles of money to spend so they can get not only big name actors like Christian Bale, Shia LeBeouf, Mark Hamill and Tina Fey but they also have access to some of Disney Channel's VAs like Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers' younger siblings. One way or another, each actor does their role perfectly.

Another thing BVHM tends to not suck at is making music. Almost all Ghibli films had a different OST used. The English OST is made longer and is going on almost all the time. Personally, I think this small change doesn't change the fact that Joe Hisaishi's scores are still amazing. Also worth noting, in the original dub of Kiki's Delivery Service, the J-pop songs that opened and closed the movie, Message in Rouge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbfzFCnnzU) and Wrapped in Gentleness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5-lH8BHc8) were changed to Soaring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgfPXbXTdA) and I'm Gonna Fly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NVjVJPjj4). Those aren't dubbed covers, they're original compositions made by someone who had a name in 1998.

The 100 Mega Shock
December 23rd, 2010, 08:21 AM
Clearly it's Manga Entertainment

people who like gratuitous swearing in their animus

bVpwJbLLivU

digi-kun
December 26th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I'm gonna say no to Disney mostly because it's Disney, and thus separate it's not primarily a dubbing company as it is general (American) cartoon making. I'd probably say Saban anyways for starting up Power Rangers in that case.

I wanna say Geneon, mostly for what they brought over. Yes, they were the first of the big companies to shut down. However, I generally think most of the series they brought over were good (couple exceptions of course), and they generally did a good job on the voice acting, though some of the meme scenes were taken edited, notably Archer's UBW chant in F/SN, but otherwise amazing dub. I appreciated the mainstream anime being pushed out, but seeing a few stuff that weren't quite mainstream being brought over was nice. Other companies have their gems, but from the amount they push out, they're quite few, especially now that they've stopped dubbing most of the shows in general.

PatJamma
December 26th, 2010, 03:06 AM
none. dub sucks. need i say more?

A Pixy
December 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I'm gonna say no to Disney mostly because it's Disney, and thus separate it's not primarily a dubbing company as it is general (American) cartoon making. I'd probably say Saban anyways for starting up Power Rangers in that case.

I wanna say Geneon, mostly for what they brought over. Yes, they were the first of the big companies to shut down. However, I generally think most of the series they brought over were good (couple exceptions of course), and they generally did a good job on the voice acting, though some of the meme scenes were taken edited, notably Archer's UBW chant in F/SN, but otherwise amazing dub. I appreciated the mainstream anime being pushed out, but seeing a few stuff that weren't quite mainstream being brought over was nice. Other companies have their gems, but from the amount they push out, they're quite few, especially now that they've stopped dubbing most of the shows in general.

But I didn't say Disney. I said a subsidiary of Disney. Walt Disney Studios (Buena Vista) Home Entertainment is Disney, yes, but they still dub and distribute anime. Just because they release other, non-anime movies still means they're a dubbing company. FUNimation releases live action movies sometimes, does that mean they're not a dubbing company?

digi-kun
December 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
But I didn't say Disney. I said a subsidiary of Disney. Walt Disney Studios (Buena Vista) Home Entertainment is Disney, yes, but they still dub and distribute anime. Just because they release other, non-anime movies still means they're a dubbing company. FUNimation releases live action movies sometimes, does that mean they're not a dubbing company?

That's what "primarily" is in there for. Also note that I'd be choosing Saban for Power Rangers (and digimon >>), which is a live-action show in the first place.

It's not that I'm not allowing choice of it, I'm just eliminating it from my options ^^;;

adhdguitar
December 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Who did Cowboy Bebop? I think it was Bandai, so, yeah Bandai. Although I have to through Funimation's name out there simply because they license so many anime and thus make a lot of anime more available.

Weeaboo Name
December 27th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Madhouse? is that it...?

Anyway, i very rarely watch dubs. The one i remember being good is Death Note (even though i watched a second time with subs and enjoyed it more) and that was Madouse i think. If i've gotten this right the same company also did Black Lagoon which looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdqfLov8Gk

So yeah, them.

Graceful
January 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I quite like the dubs by Bandai (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, etc) and I also like the Ghibli film dubs too (Buena Vista Home Entertainment) are pretty good too!
Usually I don't go for dubs, so I find it a little hard to watch a dub, but these are usually good! ^^

The 100 Mega Shock
January 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Madhouse? is that it...?

Anyway, i very rarely watch dubs. The one i remember being good is Death Note (even though i watched a second time with subs and enjoyed it more) and that was Madouse i think. If i've gotten this right the same company also did Black Lagoon which looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdqfLov8Gk

So yeah, them.

Madhouse is an animation studio.

RYOUKI
January 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Animax dubs (if it's a subbing company)

Sure they re-use the same voice actors over, and over, and over again but still. The first season of K-On, Mugi, Azusa and Sawako-sensei have the SAME voice.

I do like how they make the best use of the English language. They replace japanese oriented jokes with english jokes and make it more funny.

Bela
January 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM
My favorite dubbing company of *ALL TIME* has to be 4Kids! Don't you just love how they look out for those of us with concerns about this here foreign animation and what it could do to destroy our family values?

I do like Funimation a lot for all the anime they provide.

~Ryukaa
January 23rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
My favourite dubbing company would have to be "Bang Zoom! Entertainment".
They did really awesome jobs on Haruhi and Lucky Star.

Rokusasu
January 24th, 2011, 08:41 AM
My favorite dubbing company of *ALL TIME* has to be 4Kids! Don't you just love how they look out for those of us with concerns about this here foreign animation and what it could do to destroy our family values?

I do like Funimation a lot for all the anime they provide.

Indeed, they saved us from the abomination which is the riceball. Even Ash knew they weren't jelly doughnuts.

Mew~
January 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I'm not too keen on much dubbing companys, but Funimation did a good job on Soul Eater.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
January 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Animax dubs (if it's a subbing company)Animax doesn't dub the anime per-se, seeing as it is a broadcasting company. However, they do manage to find incredibly awesome people to do the dubbing. Case in point, Animax Asia used Red Angel Media to do the dubbing for both seasons of Hayate no Gotoku. While I do admit that they're not fully consistent with dub voices between seasons (Animax changed the dubbing company/voice actors for Tsubasa Chronicles at the start of season 2), they at least manage to choose awesome voices.

~Ryukaa
January 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Oh God. Red Angel Media. I tried watching their K-ON dub. I was shocked. And not in a good way.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
January 31st, 2011, 05:04 PM
Oh God. Red Angel Media. I tried watching their K-ON dub. I was shocked. And not in a good way.
I didn't say Red Angel Media was any good. I said Animax chose good people for certain anime that they want dubbed. RAM might not be good for K-ON, but it worked for Hayate no Gotoku. The cultural jokes were all perfectly understandable, and I commend them for that.