PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Nintendo DS Music Hacking [LOOPING INCLUDED, FULLY EXPLAINED]

Team Fail
December 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
The Nintendo DS is a file-based system that can be modified easily if you understand what is happening. I will attempt to get this all into something that is easy to understand, even if you are beginning the Nintendo DS Music scene.

My tutorial will be separated into several parts. Each part will be explained in-depth.

Part One- Accessing The Song You Wish To Modify
This program will require the use of VGMTrans. You can find it in the Music Hack Pack. There is a link at the end of the tutorial. Note- The program is rather unstable and can crash. It is normal and will not damage your computer. You can find other copies and builds of VGMTrans by searching on Google.

Getting the MIDI and DLS files
These are files that are the heart and soul of this tutorial. A MIDI file is a set of sequenced sounds that can be played as a song. A DLS file contains wave samples that are used in conjunction with MIDI files to play these samples with certain instruments to generate sounds that MIDIs by themselves cannot generate. You'll get the idea later on. To get these files, there are two ways. I'll give you the best way because it will save you heartache later on. Open CrystalTile (In Music Hack Pack) and open your Nintendo DS rom image. From here, at the top, click on the third icon from the Right (The little DS Icon). It will open up a list of files. Now, click "View a List Of" and click on "Directory". Now, you will want to look for the .SDAT file within the game. Keep in note that some games have more than one. It will have an icon of a speaker. Right-click on it and click on "Export". Save it to a location of your desire. Now, open VGM Trans. Minimize CrystalTile because you won't need it until much later. Take your newly-extracted .sdat file and drag it on the VGMTrans window. You CANNOT use the "Open" command from the file menu, as the program is not complete. This stage will most likely be the most painful, as the program is rather unstable. It may take a minute to open the sdat file, and it may even quit responding. Just be patient, it will eventually open it and grant you access to it's controls. From here, browse the list of songs to extract. Note that the songs will not loop in the program, but you can simulate a loop in FL Studio. You can click on the song and press play at the top, but who's lazy? I know I am. You can use the arrows on the keyboard and the spacebar to choose a song and play it. How convenient? Once you choose a song of your liking, you have a few options here. Your best option is to right-click on the song and select "Export as MIDI and DLS". Save those to a location of your liking as well. You can now close VGMTrans, but this is optional. It's best to, though. Now, you have your .dls and your .midi files. Now, what will you do with those?

Part Two- Modifying Music- and knowing what it will sound like
This part of the tutorial has a little-known trick I found and I thought it would be nice to explain the process.

FL Studio
For this tutorial, you will need the program FL Studio. I have a download link in the Music Hack Pack at the end of the tutorial. You will want to download it and let install the programs, including ASIO4ALL. It is a MIDI driver- required for FL Studio to work.

FL Studio- Importing and Editing music
This is the easier part that requires use of the imagination. Open FL Studio. Keep in mind you cannot save as projects in the Demo. You can, however save files as MIDI to get around that. Or, find a crack on Google. It's up to you. Click and drag the midi file to the program (You can also use File... Open) and import all the tracks, by pressing OK on the window that will pop up with the numbers 1 through 16. Now, you have your midi open! But, there is one problem, no, wait. Two problems. How will you know what it will sound like? And how will I simulate a loop? It's easy. I have included images to assist you.

When you import a midi file, it will open an additional window called Fruity LSD.
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/6570/fruitylsd.jpg
I have opened up the file SEQ_ROAD_SNOW_D, but that's besides the point. In the image, there is a folder button. Click on that. From here, browse to the .dls file you extracted with VGMTrans. Open it, then press play. Ta-da! It sounds... Game-ish! Now, there is a little restriction. Not all 126 instruments are used. If you need an extensive tutorial on how to use FL Studio, click here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=215852). It also explains looping.

From here, you can do all your editing. You can modify many of the game's song's aspects, like panning, volume, patch and whatnot. This is done through the Piano Roll in the program (Click the bar with the lines.) Do note, though, that you cannot insert bytes for loops in FL Studio, but you CAN insert note placeholders to indicate where you want to have your loop. Look at Looping (Preliminary) for more info on how to use note placeholders.

FL Studio- Exporting the final product
Now, you've finished, eh? Click on File and go to Save As... . Now, save as the type .midi and name it. When it's done, you can close FL Studio. You've exported it, and it's almost ready to be inserted!

Part Three- Inserting the song
This part of the tutorial will use a NEW version of MIDI2SSEQ that is much better than the original. Click here to download it. (http://fincs.drunkencoders.com/files/2011/07/SSEQPlayer_demo.zip)

Looping
For this, you will need Anvil Studio. Open the MIDI and view any track in the Piano Roll editor. It will make it far easier if you use a track in which you know where the loop point is. Right after the final note plays, place the marker there and the program will record the time at which the marker is. Click EDIT -> Insert MIDI Event... . Under Kind Of Event, make sure both boxes have a check mark beside them, then look for "Marker" in the drop-down list. After you find it, you will just have a blank text box. Type "loopEnd" (This is case sensitive. Just don't use the "".) Now, this is the slightly difficult part. Go to the point in the song where it loops to, and select it. Now, go to EDIT -> Insert MIDI Event... . Make sure you are using marker, BUT, look at the time. You need to peel off one frame so the loop will sound correctly.

How do I do that?

When looking at the time, It will go 29:30 (29 seconds, 30 frames.) to 30:00. Meaning that there are 30 frames in 1 second. So, if your time for the loop point is on an exact second, go to the previous second, and use 29 frames.

Now, use the Marker "loopStart". Remember that it is case sensitive. Keep in mind that you only have to do this on ONE track, and it saves you time. The revised MIDI2SSEQ is smart enough to place the loop point correctly on all tracks. Now, go FILE -> Export MIDI-Format 0 File... and save it to a directory. IT IS RECOMMENDED that you save it in the C:\Users\[Name] along with MIDI2SSEQ because you WILL NEED to use a command line to convert it. You can now close Anvil Studio.

NOTE! When looping, the program will NOT insert events at loop point to fix tempo and patch number to what it is supposed to be. Those must be applied manually during the MIDI editing process. If you don't fix them, the song may play incorrectly after it loops.

Converting
The revised MIDI2SSEQ uses a command line and is very easy. Now, you might be asking, why am I supposed to save the song to C:\Users\[NAME]? That is because you won't have to type a very long file address when using the command. MIDI2SSEQ also must be in the same place as the MIDI too. Note, you CANNOT drag-and-drop, because it will be missing an argument that it requires to convert. Open a Command Prompt window and type "midi2sseq nameofmidi.mid nameofsseq.sseq" without the quotes. You'll be telling the program to take the file nameofmidi.mid (nameofmidi will change, obviously) and convert it using the named program into nameofsseq (which is defined by you). When done, it will spit out a .sseq file. Don't worry about any errors on tempo. It's normal. The SSEq will be saved in the same directory that the midi is in.

Inserting
There are 2 ways to insert, but I'll make it simple for you. Open your .SDAT in both CrystalTile and VGMTrans. Find the song in VGMTrans that you want to replace. Now, find that song in CrystalTile. Right-click on it and click "Import" and browse to the MIDI that we just made. Double-click on it and it will attempt to insert it. IF it gives you an error, that means that the file is too large, and CrystalTile cannot repoint files. Therefore, you will need to make it smaller. It is possible to repoint files, but I am unsure as to how yet. Then, save the .sdat file and import it to your game. Test it in an emulator or a flashcard.

If you have followed all the steps correctly, you can make some good music. Like my song, for instance:
vILvXGhur9Q

Hack Pack link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34957059/Hack%20Pack.zip
If this worked for you, then good job. If not, keep reading. If something is unclear, don't hesitate to ask! I thank you for your time. If you want to repost this tutorial, please PM me or VM me.

MAY 31/11: 2500 Views! Keep up the work! Go ahead and ask questions!
JULY 2/11: Added preliminary information on looping. I hope to expand it and find a better alternative in the near future.
AUGUST 15/11: Added much better info on looping.

shaqattacks
January 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Yes, now I can get my songs to work. I've tried this a long time ago but now I can finally fix the tempo problem when inserting the songs. Thank you for the tutorial.
There is a guy on youtube called utuber6061‬‎ and does music hacks and knows how to loop the music. You might know him already, but the point is I don't think he has told anyone how to loop the songs.

Team Fail
January 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, now I can get my songs to work. I've tried this a long time ago but now I can finally fix the tempo problem when inserting the songs. Thank you for the tutorial.
There is a guy on youtube called utuber6061‬‎ and does music hacks and knows how to loop the music. You might know him already, but the point is I don't think he has told anyone how to loop the songs.

Yes, I've heard of him- I have asked him, but I haven't gotten a reply as of yet.

shaqattacks
January 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I asked him but he said something like "there is a flstudio patch called magicsseq that lets you loop and play the .sseq files without converting it, it is on gbatemp". I searched for it and it did not exist, I think he was tricking people or something because he never gave anyone the link. Well hopefully looping will be figured out, great tutorial btw.

Spiky-Eared Pichu
January 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I asked him but he said something like "there is a flstudio patch called magicsseq that lets you loop and play the .sseq files without converting it, it is on gbatemp". I searched for it and it did not exist, I think he was tricking people or something because he never gave anyone the link. Well hopefully looping will be figured out, great tutorial btw.

It exists, because I have it installed in my FL Studio 9 :D. But I don't know how it works because it crashes and I'm not going to distribute it because I don't know if the creator wants this...

Oh, and I know how to loop tracks. Just add 94+XXXXXX at the end of each SSEQ track (XXXXXX = offset to where you want to start the loop, in reversed hex).

Keep in mind that files CANNOT BE REPOINTED!

Who said that? Because I have like 6 tracks in my Diamond track repointed, and some of them are even bigger than the originals! At the start of the SDAT, there's a table with the size and the offset to each of the files, and you can edit it with a hex editor. Also, you can extract a SDAT with NDS Editor, edit the files and repack it.

shaqattacks
January 6th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Oh okay it does exist I thought he was making a joke. Now there is a problem I am currently having when using hxd. When I try to search for FF C0 and replace with FF C7 hxd says "Can't find FFC0" and doesn't do anything after that.

Team Fail
January 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM
It exists, because I have it installed in my FL Studio 9 :D. But I don't know how it works because it crashes and I'm not going to distribute it because I don't know if the creator wants this...

Oh, and I know how to loop tracks. Just add 94+XXXXXX at the end of each SSEQ track (XXXXXX = offset to where you want to start the loop, in reversed hex).

Who said that? Because I have like 6 tracks in my Diamond track repointed, and some of them are even bigger than the originals! At the start of the SDAT, there's a table with the size and the offset to each of the files, and you can edit it with a hex editor. Also, you can extract a SDAT with NDS Editor, edit the files and repack it.
You'll have to teach me DS repointing. I've read billions of times, if not more, that it cannot be done. And that magicsseq, I've found the .dll of it, and I am yet to try it.
Oh okay it does exist I thought he was making a joke. Now there is a problem I am currently having when using hxd. When I try to search for FF C0 and replace with FF C7 hxd says "Can't find FFC0" and doesn't do anything after that.
Click on the first byte in the .sseq in the HxD, then make sure you are searching as Hex Values, not Text strings. They exist in the .sseq because they are track pointers.

shaqattacks
January 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Nevermind. The mistake was I was using a midi edited from anvil studios and not fl studio. The hex values are different when exporting from fl studio and the file size of the midi is larger too.
I tried to transport the hgss champion midi and changing the instruments to import to dpp but the tracks were still not working right when I changed the hex values. I edited it anvil studios first and then exported the midi in flstudio.

Team Fail
January 7th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Nevermind. The mistake was I was using a midi edited from anvil studios and not fl studio. The hex values are different when exporting from fl studio and the file size of the midi is larger too.
I tried to transport the hgss champion midi and changing the instruments to import to dpp but the tracks were still not working right when I changed the hex values. I edited it anvil studios first and then exported the midi in flstudio.

It shouldn't be- you must convert it to sseq before opening it in HxD.

shaqattacks
January 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I did I edited as a .sseq after I exported it. I did however get a couple of songs working properly it's just that one didn't work when I edited in anvil studios and then exported in fl studio.

Team Fail
January 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I did I edited as a .sseq after I exported it. I did however get a couple of songs working properly it's just that one didn't work when I edited in anvil studios and then exported in fl studio.

Well, I'll post a reminder to not use AS then. Thanks.

Shinamori
January 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Would you mind doing a tutorial on this?

Team Fail
January 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Would you mind doing a tutorial on this?

If he does, If he wants to, I can copy/paste one he sends to me in the bottom of this thread and make a YouTube (Possible) of it, and credit him for it. I'll try it, too, but I have one question. Is that pointer in reverse hex the address in the .sdat, .sseq, or the .nds image?

Shinamori
January 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Also, I have no idea on how to use magicsseq. I put it in the plugin folder, but no dice. I have FLStudio 8?

Team Fail
January 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Also, I have no idea on how to use magicsseq. I put it in the plugin folder, but no dice. I have FLStudio 8?

Well, I tried scanning for it, and FL 8 won't even read it. I need to do some more...

Shinamori
January 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, the readme said to put in the plugins folder, but there's like 4 different ones. FL8/Plugins
FL8/System/plugin
FL8/Data/Patches/Plugin database
FL8/Data/Patches/Plugin preset
Never said which. The instructions in the readme or simplsitc.

The one I have is fake. I looked at in a hex editor and it's completely blank. I got mines from the yamihoshi link. It's either fake or got messed up on the upload.

Team Fail
January 8th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah, the readme said to put in the plugins folder, but there's like 4 different ones. FL8/Plugins
FL8/System/plugin
FL8/Data/Patches/Plugin database
FL8/Data/Patches/Plugin preset
Never said which. The instructions in the readme or simplsitc.

The one I have is fake. I looked at in a hex editor and it's completely blank. I got mines from the yamihoshi link. It's either fake or got messed up on the upload.

Ok. So is mine, then. I'll look some more into it.

The 100 Mega Shock
January 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
FL Studio is set up by default to also use Program Files\VstPlugins (Program Files (x86) if you're using a 64-bit OS) as a search folder for VST Plugins, of which I assume it could be.

As it stands though, it will appear in the plugin list but as stated does not work.

Team Fail
January 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Well, I followed instructions to allow it to be used. It told me to place it in C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 9\Plugins and use a custom folder, then change some settings and scan for new plugins (CHANNELS -> ADD ONE -> More...) and click refresh at the bottom. It tells me,

FL Studio 9: FL (extended memory).exe - Bad image

C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 9\Plugins\Custom Plugins\MAGICsseq\magicsseq.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for more support.

[ OK ]

Shinamori
January 9th, 2011, 03:01 AM
If we cold get the actual plugin, then it might work.

Team Fail
January 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM
If we cold get the actual plugin, then it might work.

That's what I'm thinking. But what if it's a hoax?

Shinamori
January 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM
MagicSseq being a hoax all together? That's certainly a possibility.

Team Fail
January 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM
MagicSseq being a hoax all together? That's certainly a possibility.

Yup. 'Tis it is. :'(

If Spiky-Eared Pichu could help teaching me the art of looping, I could throw it in here, with his credit, of course.

Shinamori
January 20th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I would love that. I really would love to loop music.

Team Fail
January 31st, 2011, 06:07 PM
I added a step that I missed.
Just a minor adjustment here...
This, along with other steps, is a crucial step to getting this to work. Once the MIDI is exported, open it in HxD and look for the 0x0D byte. It should read, "60". Change it to "C0" and save. Re-open it in FL Studio and listen to it. It should be about 2 times faster. DO NOT ADJUST THE TEMPO! Instead, export it, again, as a MIDI, and you can overwrite the old one, you won't need it. Once it has done so, open your new MIDI in HxD. Change the 0x0D byte from "60" to "30". Open it in Windows Media player, and it should sound normal.

If your song did not sound right after inserting it, try re-doing it following this newly added step, mmkay?

HarmfulDesign
April 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to replace tracks in Pokemon Black/White with tracks from Pokemon D/P/Pt/HG/SS. If so, could someone instruct me on how to do this? Also, could someone please how to edit the game files so that one track plays instead of another. (I want to swap the Elite Four theme with the Kanto Champoin theme) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Team Fail
April 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to replace tracks in Pokemon Black/White with tracks from Pokemon D/P/Pt/HG/SS. If so, could someone instruct me on how to do this?

That's why you can extract the songs from BW and edit them. They will not sound the same unless you export the samples. I intend to add that at a later time.

Also, could someone please how to edit the game files so that one track plays instead of another. (I want to swap the Elite Four theme with the Kanto Champoin theme) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That would require editing pointers. I do not know where this pointer is. Your best bet is to use Action Replay codes for now.

Team Fail
May 31st, 2011, 08:50 AM
Okay. I have been working and talking with many people, including ヤミホシ, and I may have some more new info to add on LOOPING. (yay) If I can get this working correctly, I will be adding a massive looping update to this tutorial.

(Excuse me for the Double Post)

darkdarkrai
June 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
My game crashes after I insert the SDAT file

Team Fail
June 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
My game crashes after I insert the SDAT file

Hm... It shouldn't. Did you make sure that nothing else is overwritten?

darkdarkrai
June 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks Team fail, it worked

Spiky-Eared Pichu
June 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Did you know that you can also insert non-midi music in a DS game using SSEQs? I have a proof video, showing Super Monkey Ball DS playing a song from the GameCube version. SMB DS uses the SDAT system, exactly the same as Pokémon.

CqLjT8dP2M4

Moreover, you can make it loop :)

Team Fail
June 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Did you know that you can also insert non-midi music in a DS game using SSEQs? I have a proof video, showing Super Monkey Ball DS playing a song from the GameCube version. SMB DS uses the SDAT system, exactly the same as Pokémon.

CqLjT8dP2M4

Moreover, you can make it loop :)

Oh. Wow. You must tell me how you did this. I can expand this even more.

Spiky-Eared Pichu
June 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I can't fully explain the "Pichu Method" to insert a MP3 song into a DS game, as it's the most complicated thing you can do with a SDAT (it's ten times worse than looping a SSEQ). But I can tell you it involves soundbank editing. I'm sure you can discover the method I used easily.

The 100 Mega Shock
June 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Doesn't sound too surprising - I'd guess that by splitting a track into small parts and playing each "sample" in turn you can work around any RAM limitations that may occur - until cart size starts rearing its ugly head.

Team Fail
July 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Okay. I have added a new portion to the tutorial. Take a good look at... LOOPING!

Looping (Preliminary)
Now, I have gathered various different techniques, but I found one that seems a little easy to do. I haven't mastered it completely, but I will profile it here, in case there are people brave enough to try it.

Before exporting the MIDI, you will want to use note placeholders to indicate where the loop is, if the loop is not at the beginning of the track (example: Jumping to the 6th beat, or something to that extent.) To use a note placeholder, make a note (best if used as a shorter length, for safety's sake) that uses the following characteristics: C0 pitch, volume 100. Put a note with these characteristics at the same point on each track (Which means at the same position in time, or else the .sseq's loop will not be correct) and export it.

Now, repair the midi. When done, keep it open. Highlight all the FF C7 bytes for later reference. Run a search for the bytes "00 64." This represents the volume and pitch of the C0 notes in hex. This means that the offset of these notes is where your loop is! Now, you will want to open Windows calculator for this next part. Take your offset (without reversing it, just yet) and subtract 1C from it. To enable the calculator to do this, set it to Hex mode (F5 if you are using Vista.) This gives you the absolute offset, because when looking for the loop, it skips a portion of blocks 1C in size, so you must compensate for that. Write down your result and flip it.

Note: Flipping an offset is easy. Let's use the offset 0x123456 for an example. To flip it, split it into 2 letters each. (12 34 56) Now, take the last group (56) and put it first. 34 stays in the middle, and 12 goes at the end. You don't change the ordering of the numbers, just where the sets of letters go. Keep in mind, you don't need the 0x though.

Now, taking that number, and your highlighted FF C7, insert bytes before the FF. Insert 94 and your flipped offset. Insert those bytes, and repeat for each track! It may take a few tries before you get it, but you might just do it.

IF your track loops at the beginning, you have it easy. Take your cursor and place it in between the FF and the C7. Take that offset, subtract the 1C from it, and flip it. That is the loop offset you want to use. Then, just insert the 94 and the flipped offset at the end of that track, and repeat it for the rest of the sequence.

Credits go to Markitus95 of DShack forums for this amazing way of explaining it.

Look at the tutorial for the sequence of events.

Spiky-Eared Pichu
July 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Nice explanation, and thanks for giving me credit for the placeholder method. Hope it helps people having trouble with the offsets.

Team Fail
July 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Nice explanation, and thanks for giving me credit for the placeholder method. Hope it helps people having trouble with the offsets.

Oh, you're Markitus95? I can change that credits awful quick so we all know who we're talking about. :P

Team Fail
August 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I have updated with much better looping information. It is now easier than ever to loop!

Team Fail
August 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I've added a new video that shows what can be done using the latest techniques I have found.

pgimps
August 23rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
I am not sure if this has been asked, but is it possible to record a song on GarageBand and replace them in the ROM image?

Team Fail
August 23rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
I am not sure if this has been asked, but is it possible to record a song on GarageBand and replace them in the ROM image?

I haven't really worked with GarageBand (As I don't own a Mac) but, if you can export .mid files, you should be fine. It's best to use Wine and FL Studio as you can use samples from the game for the most accuracy.

Ninja Lamb
August 25th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Where can i find the "View a List Of" in CrystalTile2? I can't find it :)
Thanks BTW.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. First time i opened Crystal Tile it didn't show it O_o.

Team Fail
August 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Where can i find the "View a List Of" in CrystalTile2? I can't find it :)
Thanks BTW.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. First time i opened Crystal Tile it didn't show it O_o.

It happens with me from time to time as well. It's a glitchy program from time to time , but should require a simple restart of CT2.

KevinSephiroth
August 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Hi Team Fail. You have made a great tutorial.

I could find and listen to tunes in mario kart for exemple using the softwares you gave.

My problem is that I wanna use the songs in Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor and put them (not all but some) inside Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey...

Sound files are in .adx format, listenable using AFS Explorer (tool for PES editing IIRC), there is a SDAT file but only in Strange Journey, there isn't one for Devil Survivor.

SSEQ files are "hidden" when I try to find them in VGMTrans. (cause the songs are indeed the .adx files in both cases)

I used nitroexplorer to extract and replace some .adx files, but when done there are two problems:

In Strange Journey, if I try to click on "Load Game" on title screen it freezes (or even if I try to move the cursor) , only on flashcart , on DeSmuMe there is no problem.
And, there is no sound except for the area level theme, menu, cursor sounds have vanished ... Which must be the reason why the games hangs when trying to move the cursor/load a save on the flashcart, cause the sound is missing...

Really strange.

EDIT: in fact, by just extracting sdx and reinserting them for any music that is not a sector theme it works like a charm. But when I wanna reinsert some files to replace sector themes nitro explorer gives me a "error 52 bad file name" thingie. Dunno why.

IIRC, if I start by replacing sectors themes it should be fine, but I'd run into this problem when trying to replace other themes I think. Didn't try for now.

Maybe it's because of a limit in size files. Strange cause the files I reinserted are like between 300ko and 1500ko max, whereas original files are between 1200 and 2600 ko...
If I try to insert files under 900 ko to replace sector themes nitroexplorer doesn't give an error but instead I get the "title screen no sound hanging if I try loading game" >_>
Maybe because I run a virtual PC under Mac OS X to run NitroExplorer and other things (don't have bootcamp)

Anyway I changed all battle/event themes , only left are sectors' themes, which aren't THAT bad. This'll allow me to finish this game now, I was sick of hearing those bad tunes.

pgimps
August 29th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I haven't really worked with GarageBand (As I don't own a Mac) but, if you can export .mid files, you should be fine. It's best to use Wine and FL Studio as you can use samples from the game for the most accuracy.

Sorry to bother you, but is it possible to add pokemon R/S/E music in?

Tan and Teal
September 5th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Hey Team Fail. I don't use Crystal Tile 2 too much, and the button for save, doesn't work. After I edit the music, when I try to close it, it says:

the file has been modified! Do you really want to shut down?(you can click cancel to save it.)

Team Fail
September 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Sorry to bother you, but is it possible to add pokemon R/S/E music in?
Yes, it is. Use Sappy to rip the .midi from the GBA game and then modify it and insert it. :)
Hey Team Fail. I don't use Crystal Tile 2 too much, and the button for save, doesn't work. After I edit the music, when I try to close it, it says:

the file has been modified! Do you really want to shut down?(you can click cancel to save it.)
There is an issue with some versions of CT2, but if you Google it, you may find a version that does save. I dunno why it won't save, it must be some bug or something. :\ I ran into the issue myself a few times.

pgimps
September 7th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Alright thanks so much for all of your help that you have provided

froozenbond
September 28th, 2011, 06:29 AM
hello Team Fail...
I was searching how to make this for long time and finally I found it...
I was reading the instructions but I can´t understand how do you make the loop in Fl Studio...
please, can you make a video explaining how we make the loop, please...

sorry if I misspelled, my english is not very good...

thanks for the tutorial :D

Team Fail
September 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM
hello Team Fail...
I was searching how to make this for long time and finally I found it...
I was reading the instructions but I can´t understand how do you make the loop in Fl Studio...
please, can you make a video explaining how we make the loop, please...

sorry if I misspelled, my english is not very good...

thanks for the tutorial :D

Yup. But you don't use FL Studio to insert the loop. You use Anvil Studio.

Epic-Latios-Fan
October 11th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Um, theres a problem with CrystalTile2...

Like, when I download and opened it, my anti-virus software thinks it's a virus or something like that... Have you checked on it recently?

Team Fail
October 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Um, theres a problem with CrystalTile2...

Like, when I download and opened it, my anti-virus software thinks it's a virus or something like that... Have you checked on it recently?
There is nothing wrong with it. It might be a false positive. What is your anti-virus? I made the .zip files so there isn't any viruses in it.

Epic-Latios-Fan
October 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
There is nothing wrong with it. It might be a false positive. What is your anti-virus? I made the .zip files so there isn't any viruses in it.

The anti-virus (Or firewall) software I use is Norton 360.

Team Fail
October 12th, 2011, 05:03 AM
The anti-virus (Or firewall) software I use is Norton 360.

I've heard of N360 giving false positives, I've had it myself. I've ensured that it is virus free, because I'd be getting a pretty big infraction here if I intentionally put one in there. If you want, search Google for another copy of CrystalTile2 and see if that one does the same thing.

Oxnite
October 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
When I try to use the ''new'' midi2sseq.exe, it tells me that two .dll files are missing (libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and libstdc++-6.dll).

I tried searching for them, but I couldn't find any download links. Besides, I guess this shouldn't be needed at all since this tutorial doesn't mention them.

How do I solve this problem?

Team Fail
October 26th, 2011, 08:03 AM
When I try to use the ''new'' midi2sseq.exe, it tells me that two .dll files are missing (libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and libstdc++-6.dll).

I tried searching for them, but I couldn't find any download links. Besides, I guess this shouldn't be needed at all since this tutorial doesn't mention them.

How do I solve this problem?

You do need them. I'll find some links for them later. When you get them, put them in the same directory as MIDI2SSEQ and try running it again.

libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll (http://www.down-dll.com/index.php?file-download=libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll&dsc)
libstdc++-6.dll (http://code.google.com/p/wtfu/downloads/detail?name=libstdc%2B%2B-6.dll&can=2&q=)

Tsukimaru
January 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM
GUYS, I NEED URGENT HELP!!! :( i`m stucked in the part of FL exporting midi :(
i did all as it say, but the file doesnt export with all the extra sound effects, it just export the original midi, and im about to rip my hair because i`ve tried everything!!! :S the song im trying to export is from Castelvania: Dawn of Sorrow, the battle theme when you fight Dimitri (i really dont expect that all of u stand what i mean, no offense), but the point is that im getting pissed at trying :( plsss help meeee... T-T

Team Fail
January 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM
GUYS, I NEED URGENT HELP!!! :( i`m stucked in the part of FL exporting midi :(
i did all as it say, but the file doesnt export with all the extra sound effects, it just export the original midi, and im about to rip my hair because i`ve tried everything!!! :S the song im trying to export is from Castelvania: Dawn of Sorrow, the battle theme when you fight Dimitri (i really dont expect that all of u stand what i mean, no offense), but the point is that im getting pissed at trying :( plsss help meeee... T-T

That's what it's supposed to do. The patch numbers will match up with values in the soundbank file in the DS rom and it will sound like it did in FL Studio once you insert it.

Tsukimaru
January 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
That's what it's supposed to do. The patch numbers will match up with values in the soundbank file in the DS rom and it will sound like it did in FL Studio once you insert it.

ohhh... rly? well then, i`ll continue my project and if something goes up, i`ll letcha know. thx ;)

hey, new issue :S i did everything and inserted the file, but when i try it, no sound is displayed :S there was a strange message when using the sseq converter saying (tempo is too fast). d u think that it is thte problem?

Renegade
January 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Whenever I try to download the Pack, it says "The item you are downloading is either unavailable to you or has just been deleted by the owner". Solutions? Please respond!

Tsukimaru
January 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Whenever I try to download the Pack, it says "The item you are downloading is either unavailable to you or has just been deleted by the owner". Solutions? Please respond!

well, it pretty obvious that the file is no longer hosted in the download page that you`re using. try googling another site where to download it ;)

droomph
January 23rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Also, could someone please how to edit the game files so that one track plays instead of another. (I want to swap the Elite Four theme with the Kanto Champoin theme) Any help would be greatly appreciated.Okay, I'm not one to talk about these things, and no one has seemed to answer your question, but in a FileViewer (Like Tinke) you can find the main .sdat file that directs the game to all of the songs.

Whatever. Just find the file.

Then, you look at the box, where it lists the file information.

Look for "offset", and in HxD (what a wonderful program) go to that offset.
Then, using the "search" button, find the pointer-offset (reversed offset) of the file you want to edit. Remember to use the "search forward" option.

If you want to replace, do a "search and replace" for the first file, and then do a "search and replace" for the second file.

Now, I don't know if this works, but all the files listed seem to correspond to the ones I found after the offset...

Team Fail
January 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
ohhh... rly? well then, i`ll continue my project and if something goes up, i`ll letcha know. thx ;)

hey, new issue :S i did everything and inserted the file, but when i try it, no sound is displayed :S there was a strange message when using the sseq converter saying (tempo is too fast). d u think that it is thte problem?
You can't just cut the MIDI from one game and paste it into another and have it work. You'll have to edit it using the DLS file from the game you plan to put it in.

Oh and be sure to use the new version of MIDI2SSEQ if you aren't already.
I don't think I've deleted it, but I plan to make a new Hack Pack as the one that there already is, is incredibly outdated since I have written the original tutorial quite a while ago. I plan to include all the new tools and any needed files to it.

I might get it together sometime soon, but I'm not sure when.

fortwaffles
February 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM
@Tsukimaru ... and everyone else I guess. SSEQ's fail to play correctly when the tempo is higher than 240. I've done a ton of stuff with the sseq format... including hacking them into the actual official cartridge.

droomph
February 9th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I noticed that VGMTrans exports the SSEQs to their respective General MIDI sounds. Does MIDI2SSEQ do the same, but in reverse?

(I'm asking because FL Studio doesn't quite work for me with MIDIs)

Team Fail
February 10th, 2012, 09:08 AM
@Tsukimaru ... and everyone else I guess. SSEQ's fail to play correctly when the tempo is higher than 240. I've done a ton of stuff with the sseq format... including hacking them into the actual official cartridge.
How would you put them in an official cartridge?
I noticed that VGMTrans exports the SSEQs to their respective General MIDI sounds. Does MIDI2SSEQ do the same, but in reverse?

(I'm asking because FL Studio doesn't quite work for me with MIDIs)
Pretty much, yes. It just takes what's there for MIDI code and converts it into the SSEQ format that the DS can understand. VGMTrans does the opposite- converting SSEQ code into MIDI code.

ipatix
February 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Can somebody upload the "Hack Pack" again, the link is offline...

Team Fail
February 10th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Can somebody upload the "Hack Pack" again, the link is offline...

It's horribly, horribly outdated. I plan to make a new Hack Pack when I next update the tutorial. idk when that will be, but I plan to get around to it soon. It will clear up one thing that limits this tutorial: file size restrictions.

TheHackster
February 16th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I'm still curious on how Markitus95 does the .mp3 hacking in his DS games. I did most of what was instructed. For example, I'm trying to insert a 1:14 long .mp3 file into a Pokémon White game. The filesize of the .swar seems to be larger than that of the previous one, by a lot (1.56 MB). Inserting that will result in either a drastically increased filesize (which causes a blackscreen) on the game, or it will delete as many .swar files as the file will need to fit the game's filesize (which mutes the song, perhaps for breaking the game's music system). I was thinking maybe compressing the .swar would work, but I'm not quite sure.

Also, I don't know what to do with the .sbnk. As for looping, is it the same method that is instructed here? And the .sseq, it has only has one track, which means it will be smaller. Is that normal? Tell me if I'm close.

Team Fail
February 16th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I'm still curious on how Markitus95 does the .mp3 hacking in his DS games. I did most of what was instructed. For example, I'm trying to insert a 1:14 long .mp3 file into a Pokémon White game. The filesize of the .swar seems to be larger than that of the previous one, by a lot (1.56 MB). Inserting that will result in either a drastically increased filesize (which causes a blackscreen) on the game, or it will delete as many .swar files as the file will need to fit the game's filesize (which mutes the song, perhaps for breaking the game's music system). I was thinking maybe compressing the .swar would work, but I'm not quite sure.

Also, I don't know what to do with the .sbnk. As for looping, is it the same method that is instructed here? And the .sseq, it has only has one track, which means it will be smaller. Is that normal? Tell me if I'm close.

You're correct. The SSEQ format is a generic tracked format, so it should work. As for filesize, Don't worry about it changing the size. SWAR and SWAV files are loaded on the fly from the SDAT, so even if the SDAT is 20 MB (Not that it would be) in size, it'd load properly. A good idea, though, is to take your rom, and unzip it using a DS rom decompresser, kinda like what PPRE does when you go to open a new Rom (Where it goes in the TMP directory). That way, you can just copy/paste in your new SDAT and zip it back up with no regards to the filesize.

And yes, the SSEQ would be smaller. It just instructs the DS to play certain samples with certain properties.

darkdarkrai
February 22nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Where can you find Magicsseq.dll? I tried on youtube (It is not on gbatemp , utuber6061 tricked us all:disappoin) and I saw this video saying a guy called 'Edwidge' made it. The only mirror today that hosts it is down and the files are corrupted. If someone has a link please post it or PM Me.

Team Fail
February 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Where can you find Magicsseq.dll? I tried on youtube (It is not on gbatemp , utuber6061 tricked us all:disappoin) and I saw this video saying a guy called 'Edwidge' made it. The only mirror today that hosts it is down and the files are corrupted. If someone has a link please post it or PM Me.

As far as I know, it does not exist. I found a copy of it once upon a time, but it was a null DLL- it was all zerobytes. You don't need it to loop anyways, the new MIDI2SSEQ and Anvil Studio can do that for you.

As for that YouTube video, I saw it once (I can't seem to find it again :\) but it looked a little outdated. I'd go with using the method illustrated in this guide until I can find an actual, working copy of MagicSSEQ and test it. If I do find it, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

darkdarkrai
February 23rd, 2012, 10:24 AM
As far as I know, it does not exist. I found a copy of it once upon a time, but it was a null DLL- it was all zerobytes. You don't need it to loop anyways, the new MIDI2SSEQ and Anvil Studio can do that for you.

As for that YouTube video, I saw it once (I can't seem to find it again :\) but it looked a little outdated. I'd go with using the method illustrated in this guide until I can find an actual, working copy of MagicSSEQ and test it. If I do find it, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks for the help Team Fail!

shadebattle
February 25th, 2012, 11:22 PM
How do I exactly insert an mp3 into FL to make a loop? Whenever I try and save to Midi, I get no sound.

Team Fail
February 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM
How do I exactly insert an mp3 into FL to make a loop? Whenever I try and save to Midi, I get no sound.

You don't use MP3 files. MP3 is streaming audio, and MIDI is sequenced. You cannot convert streaming audio into sequence unless you made a manual conversion by using MIDI instruments and remade the song yourself.

Jacusiek
March 12th, 2012, 04:45 AM
OMG! IT'S BLACK MAGIC!!! Can you explain that with pictures or movie, please? I just want to put some music into game... I can't understand any of this part ;/

Team Fail
March 12th, 2012, 04:49 AM
OMG! IT'S BLACK MAGIC!!! Can you explain that with pictures or movie, please? I just want to put some music into game... I can't understand any of this part ;/

The whole thing? Or any point in specific?

Jacusiek
March 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I Know how to extract the song from NDS, so that is only first point. Then I don't know what to do, how to import it into game. Do I really have to change the music with programs you used in tutorial? What if I want just put my music, without changing it? Just extract, replace files, import and play.
@Edit:
I want to do this:
Replace normal trainer battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VU6NcExcAU
Replace Rival battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulkDzzSF_Ss&feature=related
Replace N battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ruYfRBa7tQ
Replace team Plasma battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3yc7qBrhvk
Replace Ghetsis battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUGjKmP2aY
Maybe could you explain me how to do certain moves to replace that or maybe could you do that for me in pokemon White? I really can't understand this ;/

Team Fail
March 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I Know how to extract the song from NDS, so that is only first point. Then I don't know what to do, how to import it into game. Do I really have to change the music with programs you used in tutorial? What if I want just put my music, without changing it? Just extract, replace files, import and play.
@Edit:
I want to do this:
Replace normal trainer battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VU6NcExcAU
Replace Rival battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulkDzzSF_Ss&feature=related
Replace N battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ruYfRBa7tQ
Replace team Plasma battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3yc7qBrhvk
Replace Ghetsis battle music for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUGjKmP2aY
Maybe could you explain me how to do certain moves to replace that or maybe could you do that for me in pokemon White? I really can't understand this ;/

Well, you can use any MIDI editor of your choice that supports .DLS files, but FL Studio has a lot of features as well as plugin support. As for extracting, replacing and playing, it's not as simple. Not all songs are made the same way. That's why if you replace songs with another, it won't sound right. If you're lucky, it might, but it depends. It will usually require some kind of effort to get your music just right.

And if you want to replace those songs you listed, you will need MIDI versions. You cannot use MP3s. And I cannot stress that enough.

Jacusiek
March 13th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Well, you can use any MIDI editor of your choice that supports .DLS files, but FL Studio has a lot of features as well as plugin support. As for extracting, replacing and playing, it's not as simple. Not all songs are made the same way. That's why if you replace songs with another, it won't sound right. If you're lucky, it might, but it depends. It will usually require some kind of effort to get your music just right.

And if you want to replace those songs you listed, you will need MIDI versions. You cannot use MP3s. And I cannot stress that enough.

OK, thanks, I will try to do something with that.

Team Fail
March 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
OK, thanks, I will try to do something with that.

Thought I'd quickly add on to my train of thought as I recently recalled some of my old videos on YouTube that involved a direct copy-paste.

Here is an example of it working completely and perfectly. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8qlQ_Wc1pc)

Here is an example of it completely backfiring. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILzqth9lPs)

KingDrapion
April 6th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I dont know why but when I try to convert my midi with the new midi2sseq file it says that my midi is corrupted? This happened after I looped in Anvil Studio.
Can you help me out with this? I have used another midi and it says the same thing.

Team Fail
April 7th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I dont know why but when I try to convert my midi with the new midi2sseq file it says that my midi is corrupted? This happened after I looped in Anvil Studio.
Can you help me out with this? I have used another midi and it says the same thing.

Does it still give you a .sseq file?

KingDrapion
April 8th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Does it still give you a .sseq file?

Sadly No, it doesn't even give me an sseq file for the non looped midis. I must be doing the command prompt wrong, so can you explain how to do it specifically?
Also, the older midi2sseq file works with the NON looped midis, but not with the looped ones.

Team Fail
April 9th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Sadly No, it doesn't even give me an sseq file for the non looped midis. I must be doing the command prompt wrong, so can you explain how to do it specifically?
Also, the older midi2sseq file works with the NON looped midis, but not with the looped ones.

Yeah. That's why I recommend using the new one. Try re-exporting your original MIDI and try looping it again. Be sure you're using the proper commands too.

KingDrapion
April 10th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Yeah. That's why I recommend using the new one. Try re-exporting your original MIDI and try looping it again. Be sure you're using the proper commands too.

Yep tried it again. Didn't work... I definitely did the right command prompt. It says that the midi is corrupted even when I re-exported it and looped it using your guide.
I dont know if this is too much to ask but can you try converting and looping it it for me? Maybe you could figure out how to avoid the corruption.
here's the download link: http://www.filefactory.com/file/3qi8so5jvp9p/n/Rival_battle_RSE_mid
Id greatly appreciate if you could do it, but if the problem happens to u don't worry about it.

Nurse Kevin
April 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
There is a question I have about editing the .midis in FL Studio. I notice some tracks have more than one instrument playing in 1 track. Is it possible to change the instruments for both of them? If so, how?

Also, people use the HGSS and BW Soundfonts in FL Studio. Is that required to make your .midis sound good in-game after converting to .sseq? The .dls files don't seem to help me at all when it comes to changing the song's instruments.

Team Fail
April 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
There is a question I have about editing the .midis in FL Studio. I notice some tracks have more than one instrument playing in 1 track. Is it possible to change the instruments for both of them? If so, how?

Also, people use the HGSS and BW Soundfonts in FL Studio. Is that required to make your .midis sound good in-game after converting to .sseq? The .dls files don't seem to help me at all when it comes to changing the song's instruments.

When in FL studio, there is an option to change the patch of the instrument when in the keyboard view. That's where you can toggle instruments on a track. As for DLS files, they contain the game's sound samples, and if you don't have them, you'd better have a good memory. The DLS files extracted vary from game to game as well.

KingDrapion
April 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I don't mean to be annoying but have you downloaded my midi and tried to loop it? Because I still have the same trouble with different midis now

Team Fail
April 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I don't mean to be annoying but have you downloaded my midi and tried to loop it? Because I still have the same trouble with different midis now

I tried looping it and had no problems at all. All I did was add the loop information. Are you sure you're adding the loop information correctly?

KingDrapion
April 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I tried looping it and had no problems at all. All I did was add the loop information. Are you sure you're adding the loop information correctly?

Really? It worked? Hmm... I must be doing the looping wrong somehow. I have followed all your steps on how to loop, but i don't know where I went wrong. Did you convert my midi into an sseq file? If so, can I have it back because I want to change the music in my game. Thanks.
Ok I'l try again and see if I can figure out how to make it work properly. Maybe if you put pictures on how to loop on Anvil Studio, then maybe that will help me and even the Command prompt bit because I do not fully understand that.

Nurse Kevin
April 14th, 2012, 11:15 PM
When in FL studio, there is an option to change the patch of the instrument when in the keyboard view. That's where you can toggle instruments on a track. As for DLS files, they contain the game's sound samples, and if you don't have them, you'd better have a good memory. The DLS files extracted vary from game to game as well.

Yeah, your right. The .dls files are necessary. However, I had to manually change the notes to the channels with the corresponding instruments. If this works with the midis from RSE (as commonly), then the last thing that I will have to put into practice is the loop.

Anyways, I give you my thanks for your reply. It gave me crucial answers to other questions that I was about to ask. I'll be back if anything happens.

Team Fail
April 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Really? It worked? Hmm... I must be doing the looping wrong somehow. I have followed all your steps on how to loop, but i don't know where I went wrong. Did you convert my midi into an sseq file? If so, can I have it back because I want to change the music in my game. Thanks.
Ok I'l try again and see if I can figure out how to make it work properly. Maybe if you put pictures on how to loop on Anvil Studio, then maybe that will help me and even the Command prompt bit because I do not fully understand that.
Here is your looped SSEQ:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34957059/result.sseq

It should loop correct, I haven't tested it on a DS yet because idk what game it's for.
Yeah, your right. The .dls files are necessary. However, I had to manually change the notes to the channels with the corresponding instruments. If this works with the midis from RSE (as commonly), then the last thing that I will have to put into practice is the loop.

Anyways, I give you my thanks for your reply. It gave me crucial answers to other questions that I was about to ask. I'll be back if anything happens.
Ok will do. The only downside to the DLS files is that it uses samples from the game, and it doesn't pick up the direct square sounds that the DS itself generates (Any GB Sounds song from HGSS uses this engine) so they won't generate a sound in FL Studio. I hope to find a fix but that may not be possible.

KingDrapion
April 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks heaps mate, I appreciate it.

machomuu
April 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks TF, I'm gonna give this a shot. If I can replace my BW battle music with "Love-Colored Master Spark" I'll be a very happy man.

Team Fail
April 22nd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Thanks TF, I'm gonna give this a shot. If I can replace my BW battle music with "Love-Colored Master Spark I'll be a very happy man.

IIRC, the drumkit in most BW soundbanks is Square Wave 1. Except for Cynthia's battle theme, which is a stripped-down DP soundbank.

Nurse Kevin
April 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm back. Anyways, there's something that's confusing me here. After repacking the SDAT Folder, many keep suggesting to use CT2 or PPRE rather than Nitro Explorer to insert the .sdat file. Do those 2 programs have something that Nitro Explorer doesn't have?

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
I'm back. Anyways, there's something that's confusing me here. After repacking the SDAT Folder, many keep suggesting to use CT2 or PPRE rather than Nitro Explorer to insert the .sdat file. Do those 2 programs have something that Nitro Explorer doesn't have?

CT2 is buggy in the fact that it cannot replace a file if it's larger than what the target is. Even if it's just one byte, it will complain that it cannot insert it because it's too large. I'd use PPRE mostly because it rips the rom apart, then reassembles it, regardless of any size limitations.

Nurse Kevin
April 23rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
CT2 is buggy in the fact that it cannot replace a file if it's larger than what the target is. Even if it's just one byte, it will complain that it cannot insert it because it's too large. I'd use PPRE mostly because it rips the rom apart, then reassembles it, regardless of any size limitations.

Understood. Thanks dude.

Speaking of SDATs, there is a funny question I have. Is it possible to insert music data (.sseq, .sbnk, .swar) from a different game into the SDAT folder? For example, say we have the Pokémon White SDAT folder. If I wanted to change the Elite Four theme with a song from a different game like say... the Jungle stage from Contra 4 (which also uses the SDAT system), would taking the song data from its SDAT folder and putting it into the Pokémon White SDAT folder allow it to work in-game?

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Understood. Thanks dude.

Speaking of SDATs, there is a funny question I have. Is it possible to insert music data (.sseq, .sbnk, .swar) from a different game into the SDAT folder? For example, say we have the Pokémon White SDAT folder. If I wanted to change the Elite Four theme with a song from a different game like say... the Jungle stage from Contra 4 (which also uses the SDAT system), would taking the song data from its SDAT folder and putting it into the Pokémon White SDAT folder allow it to work in-game?

In theory, yes. It should work. I'm currently trying to do that, but I don't want to change any other songs that may rely on the replaced SBNK and SWAR, so I need to figure that out too.

Blazaking
April 27th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I was wondering if you could provide a different mirror for the Music Hack Pack, because the download link currently up isn't working for me.

Edit: Ah, just read back on the thread. Any idea when you'll be making the new tutorial yet?

I've been trying to music hack for a while, but I've failed... every time. The problem I'm currently facing is that when I repack the files into the .sdat (using the kiwi editor), everything is jumbled up. I found out that it was because kiwi repacks them in alphabetical order and then renames all the files according to how they were listed originally in the rom. The only method I found to fixing this was renaming all the files with numbers according to their original listing, but that's way too much work, especially with a game like BW (there are like 800 sseqs!)

Can you help?

Team Fail
April 28th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I was wondering if you could provide a different mirror for the Music Hack Pack, because the download link currently up isn't working for me.

Edit: Ah, just read back on the thread. Any idea when you'll be making the new tutorial yet?

I've been trying to music hack for a while, but I've failed... every time. The problem I'm currently facing is that when I repack the files into the .sdat (using the kiwi editor), everything is jumbled up. I found out that it was because kiwi repacks them in alphabetical order and then renames all the files according to how they were listed originally in the rom. The only method I found to fixing this was renaming all the files with numbers according to their original listing, but that's way too much work, especially with a game like BW (there are like 800 sseqs!)

Can you help?

Yeah. Once I have time, I plan to add more.

As for using KIWI DS, don't ever use it. It's buggy in that way. I've found a newer, better alternative that will be added in my update. When I get around to it.

AquaFred
May 19th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Tuto Is done well, I managed to make:p thank you

My chaine YouTube: TheFredWTF

hack music

Team Fail
May 19th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Tuto Is done well, I managed to make:p thank you

My chaine YouTube: TheFredWTF

hack music
Français:
Merci. n_n
(Moi, je parle un peu français.)

English:
Thanks. n_n
(I speak a bit of French.)

KingDrapion
May 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM
hey team fail. I don't know if you already knew this but if you export a sseq file directly from another ROM for example Platinum and convert it into a midi, it keeps the loop point. This doesn't really help learning how to loop, but some people can just edit an already looped midi and convert then insert it into a ROM without having to loop it again.

Team Fail
May 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
When it's converted to MIDI, looping data is lost. Unless there's some new alternative.

KingDrapion
June 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
^Sorry, my bad. The MIDI does lose its data. Anyways, this guy here knows how to change instruments directly of an SSEQ file from a DPPt/HGSS Rom. It also keeps the loop as an added bonus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPZbEG92tV8&feature=channel&list=UL

Team Fail
June 8th, 2012, 09:50 PM
That's by only editing the SSEQ directly. This way would be easier.

KingDrapion
June 9th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I know this way would be easier, but it so confusing for me. The part Im mostly confused about is the looping part, since you don't really explain well on how to do it. And it doesn't work for me, since when I try to convert the MIDI I looped according to your instructions, it doesn't even give me an SSEQ file from MIDI2SSEQ. I suggest updating the Tutorial for newcomers to understand it properly. I don't know, maybe add some screens? Or maybe a vid?
But I do give you my thanks for starting it in the first place. Ill probably try the other method of changing instruments from an SSEQ file, but you wouldn't happen to know what the instrument Hex numbers are, would you?

Oxnite
June 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I have a question on music hacking. There's a certain music file in the B/W .sdat file that's not looped yet (I don't think it's used in the game but I'm not sure). However, I want to have it looped because I would like to use it (it's an encounter music). Where do I have to start? Is it possible to loop a .sseq file without having the .midi file?

The .sseq file I'm talking about is 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq.

OronDF343
June 12th, 2012, 03:20 AM
The download link for the hack pack is not working...

Team Fail
June 27th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Alright. After tons of procrastination on my part, I have finally got around to updating the Hack Pack. You can get it here! (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34957059/Hack%20Pack.zip)

You can also find it in the bottom of the first post as well.

I have a question on music hacking. There's a certain music file in the B/W .sdat file that's not looped yet (I don't think it's used in the game but I'm not sure). However, I want to have it looped because I would like to use it (it's an encounter music). Where do I have to start? Is it possible to loop a .sseq file without having the .midi file?

The .sseq file I'm talking about is 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq.
You can loop an SSEQ without having the MIDI. Just export it from BW as a MIDI with VGMTrans.

TheHackster
August 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I just finished my first sample of a midi. However, I'm having trouble with the new midi2sseq.

Whenever I try converting it, it just gives me this in the CMD:

Usage:

midi2sseq midifile sseqfile

When I add looping information it does the same thing. Both .dlls are in the same directory. Also, if it matters, after exporting my midi I made a copy of it and used the copied one for editing and converting.

Team Fail
August 9th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I just finished my first sample of a midi. However, I'm having trouble with the new midi2sseq.

Whenever I try converting it, it just gives me this in the CMD:

Usage:

When I add looping information it does the same thing. Both .dlls are in the same directory. Also, if it matters, after exporting my midi I made a copy of it and used the copied one for editing and converting.

You have to type nameoffile.mid (And you need to add .mid), then put nameofsseq.sseq (You must add .sseq). To use it, you must point a Command Prompt window to the location of it, but it seems you've done that already as you're seeing that message.

Example:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq
C:\<location on your hard drive>\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq

TheHackster
August 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM
You have to type nameoffile.mid (And you need to add .mid), then put nameofsseq.sseq (You must add .sseq). To use it, you must point a Command Prompt window to the location of it, but it seems you've done that already as you're seeing that message.

Example:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq
C:\<location on your hard drive>\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq

Yeah, it already had both extensions and it gave me this:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Folder\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq
Usage:

But now it's being crazy and giving me this:

Warning: note on on active note! Track 13, pos 99
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 13, pos 102
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 173
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 176
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 179
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 182
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 185
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 188
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 191
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 194
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 197
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 200
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 203
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 206
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 209
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 212
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 215
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 218
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 221
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 224
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 227
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 230
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 233
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 236
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 239
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 242
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 245
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 258
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 251
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 254
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 257
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 260
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 263
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 267
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 272
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 276
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 279
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 284
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 287
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 292
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 295
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 300
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 303
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 308
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 315
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 316
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 321
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 322
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 325
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 330
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 333
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 334
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 339
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 340
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 343
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 348
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 351
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 356
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 359
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 364

By any chance, is this even supposed to happen?

Team Fail
August 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it already had both extensions and it gave me this:

Usage:

But now it's being crazy and giving me this:

Warning: note on on active note! Track 13, pos 99
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 13, pos 102
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 173
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 176
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 179
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 182
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 185
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 188
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 191
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 194
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 197
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 200
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 203
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 206
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 209
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 212
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 215
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 218
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 221
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 224
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 227
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 230
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 233
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 236
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 239
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 242
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 245
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 258
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 251
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 254
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 257
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 260
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 263
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 267
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 272
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 276
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 279
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 284
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 287
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 292
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 295
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 300
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 303
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 308
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 315
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 316
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 321
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 322
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 325
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 330
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 333
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 334
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 339
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 340
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 343
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 348
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 351
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 356
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 359
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 364

By any chance, is this even supposed to happen?

And you've changed input.mid and output.sseq to their appropriate names? Try re-exporting your MIDI from FL Studio and try the loop process again. You might have switched the loopStart and loopEnd commands.

Oxnite
August 11th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Alright. After tons of procrastination on my part, I have finally got around to updating the Hack Pack. You can get it here! (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34957059/Hack%20Pack.zip)

You can also find it in the bottom of the first post as well.

You can loop an SSEQ without having the MIDI. Just export it from BW as a MIDI with VGMTrans.

Thanks for your help. However.. I tried and I still can't get it working. I've edited about everything of Pokémon Black / White but music hacking still doesn't seem to work for me. Very strange.

I tried to loop the midi of 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq, but it didn't work. Everytime I try to add the looped .sseq file to CrystalTile, it gives me an error. Apparently, the new file is too big. OK, I understand that, but how can I make it smaller? I just want to have the original .sseq file, but looped.

Could you please help me with this? [ I need two music files edited for my Pokémon White Deluxe hack, and I really need that before I can release the final version. ]

If somebody could loop 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq for me, that would be amazing, thanks in advance.

Team Fail
August 12th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for your help. However.. I tried and I still can't get it working. I've edited about everything of Pokémon Black / White but music hacking still doesn't seem to work for me. Very strange.

I tried to loop the midi of 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq, but it didn't work. Everytime I try to add the looped .sseq file to CrystalTile, it gives me an error. Apparently, the new file is too big. OK, I understand that, but how can I make it smaller? I just want to have the original .sseq file, but looped.

Could you please help me with this? [ I need two music files edited for my Pokémon White Deluxe hack, and I really need that before I can release the final version. ]

If somebody could loop 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq for me, that would be amazing, thanks in advance.

If it's too large, use Tinke to insert it (Take a look in the latest hack pack for more info on Tinke and download links). I'll have to update the tutorial for usage of Tinke to import larger files, but for now, just browse to the SDAT in it, then find the SSEQ to replace.

Oxnite
August 13th, 2012, 05:13 AM
WOW! It works! Thank you SO much, Team Fail! It's so amazing yet easy.. Thanks again!!

Platinum Lucario
August 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
STRM files are much like SWAV files, they are pretty much the un-archived version of a SWAV file. Editing them may not be as easy as you think it is. 'Cause there can be some people that will import their .wav file into the STRM file using Tinke and noticing that the pitch is higher than it should. So you think the answer to it is "decrease the speed and pitch in a .wav editor" right? Well of course you need to do that, but it'll still not sound the same in Tinke though.

And to be honest... the real developers at Tecmo Koei made the same mistake when converting their .wav into a SWAV without fixing the sampling/frequency using a hex editor. No wonder the Pokémon's cries sound higher pitched and faster in the game than in other games. lol

So to avoid making the same mistake as what Tecmo Koei did with the SWAV files... here's what you'll need to do:

Step 1: Open up the .wav file that you'd like to insert into the game with a .wav editor, I'd generally use Wavepad Sound Editor for this, it's also freeware.

Step 2: Click the Sound and Pitch Change button and change it to 98 and click apply.

Step 3: Save the .wav file, upon saving the .wav file... you'll also be given options on what you want the .wav file format to be, make sure the Format is set at "PCM Uncompressed" and the Attributes are set to 32000 Hz, 16 Bits, Stereo. Then click OK.

Step 4: Once your .wav file is saved in the correct format with the sound and pitch changed, open up Tinke, load the ROM you wish to import the .wav to and import the .wav file to any STRM or SWAV that you desire.

Step 5: As you may have noticed... the SWAV or STRM will sound the same as it does from what you edited using the .wav editor, but it will sound correctly in the game, but wait... we're not done yet. Next you need to extract the SWAV or STRM that you imported the .wav file to and close Tinke, this is to prevent a minor bug in Tinke that corrupts the .sdat when changing a file or importing a .wav file for the second time.

Step 6: Open up the SWAV or STRM with a hex editor, I'd normally use HxD for hex editing.

Step 7: Go to offset 0x1C - 0x1D (or 0x1A - 0x1B with an SWAV), this area is the sampling rate for the STRM or SWAV file. Change the bytes to "D8 7F", remember... bytes are written in reverse, so in reality it's 7FD8... which is 32728 in decimal, but on the SWAV or STRM, it's D87F. But remember, SWAV files are mono only.

Step 8: Save the SWAV or STRM and import it into the ROM using Tinke.

I would also recommend adding this to the tutorial as well.

KingDrapion
August 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Hey TF, I don't know why but is there still a chance of the SSEQ file de-syncing even when you have done the steps to fix it? I inserted it with Tinke due to the SSEQ being larger, so would Tinke be the problem of why it is de syncing?

Team Fail
August 25th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I've never had issues with track synchronization before. Perhaps try re-looping the file and try re-inserting it.

KingDrapion
August 27th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Oh I didn't loop it, do you reckon that is the reason why the instruments and tempo are stuffing up? Anyway, Ill have to wait until my mate converts my SSEQ file for me since my Command Prompt says the MIDI is corrupted.

Edit: Could spaces in the MIDI file cause the desyncing? Becuase in the MIDI files that are stuffing up, they each have a large amount of space at the end, while the MIDI files that are working don't.

Team Fail
August 28th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Oh I didn't loop it, do you reckon that is the reason why the instruments and tempo are stuffing up? Anyway, Ill have to wait until my mate converts my SSEQ file for me since my Command Prompt says the MIDI is corrupted.

Edit: Could spaces in the MIDI file cause the desyncing? Becuase in the MIDI files that are stuffing up, they each have a large amount of space at the end, while the MIDI files that are working don't.

It shouldn't be caused by that. I haven't had that issue before. If it doesn't get fixed, try opening it in another MIDI editor, exporting it from there, and try converting it.

KingDrapion
August 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM
^Ok Ill do some experimenting and tell you if I could fix it just incase a problem like mine pops up again.

Team Fail
August 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Alright. If you can, I'll make a troubleshooting section and add it.

KingDrapion
August 29th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Ok, from my research, the MIDI files that do not work properly are the ones sent to me from my mate. They change instruments during the track playing. The ones that do work are the ones that don't change instruments and are composed by me (but they aren't very good). It seems that the changing instrument thing should not be the problem since it works on the SSEQ file that Hypershadicx made on Youtube, so I have no idea why it is still desyncing with the MIDI files my mate sent me. That is all I got at the moment but atleast I got this looping and converting thing working properly for me.

Team Fail
August 30th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Alright then. I'll look into this synchnorization issue. I have yet to replicate it, but I'll try to, and then provide a fix.

KingDrapion
August 30th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Alright then. I'll look into this synchnorization issue. I have yet to replicate it, but I'll try to, and then provide a fix.

lol after all that, I figured that it was my .sdat that was stuffing up, I also got the loop to work but for some reason it does not loop in VGM trams but it does during normal game-play.

Team Fail
August 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM
lol after all that, I figured that it was my .sdat that was stuffing up, I also got the loop to work but for some reason it does not loop in VGM trams but it does during normal game-play.

Yeah. Loops won't play back at all in VGMTrans. Hopefully, someone will take initiative to update it. If I knew programming languages, I'd try myself.

Nurse Kevin
November 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
There something I just realized about editing midi files, and this is making me think right now that maybe I did everything wrong from the start. There's this guy called HyperShadicX on YouTube who remixed a song from Pokémon R/S/E to replace the trainer battle theme for Pokémon B/W. I checked the midi file he used and it has only 9 tracks in contrast to B/W's trainer battle theme which has 11 tracks. I always thought you had to add the notes from the R/S/E midi into the B/W midi (the one you extract from VGMTrans) and replace its original notes with the notes of the R/S/E midi.

Also, I thought that these R/S/E notes had to be placed exactly on the B/W track that plays the intrument that you want the notes to play. I thought this because as far as I'm concerned I can't seem to change an instrument from a channel (track). For example, Channel 3 (of a random midi) plays the Harmonica but I want it to play Synth Bass 2 instead. You (Team Fail) did say something about changing the patch numbers in FL Studio, but the only 2 areas (as far as I know) that mention the patch numbers are:

1. Fruity LSD (Insert 1) box (where you open the .dls file).

2. Channel Settings box.

On the Fruity LSD box, I click on one of the channels listed in the box and it gives me an option to click on a patch number (supposedly to change the instrument). I click on it, but instead of hearing the new instrument play, it either plays a different sound instead of the game sound or it just doesn't play any sound at all. The Channel Settings box does kind of the same thing, only that sometimes it does play the instrument from a game after changing the patch number listed there. However, when I click "Stop" to halt midi's playback and clicking "Play" again, it resets all changed settings to its original settings.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to remix a midi file with less tracks than the original midi which has more tracks using the game's .dls file?

2. How do I change instruments from a channel to play a different instrument rather than the order that the instruments play?

3. How do I save the changed settings? (As far as I'm concerned, the only changes made in a midi file that save are the notes and its settings. Sound settings don't seem to change at all prior to saving, which makes it difficult for me to determine how the song will sound like in-game. The only way I can determine how a song will sound in-game is by placing the new notes into the channels that play the instruments in the order that it came in.)

Team Fail
November 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Whoa. Okay. I'll split this down a bit here.
There something I just realized about editing midi files, and this is making me think right now that maybe I did everything wrong from the start. There's this guy called HyperShadicX on YouTube who remixed a song from Pokémon R/S/E to replace the trainer battle theme for Pokémon B/W. I checked the midi file he used and it has only 9 tracks in contrast to B/W's trainer battle theme which has 11 tracks. I always thought you had to add the notes from the R/S/E midi into the B/W midi (the one you extract from VGMTrans) and replace its original notes with the notes of the R/S/E midi.
No. You can have as many tracks as you wish, up to the MIDI limit of 16. I may rewrite the first part of the tutorial, though. However, filesize will be an issue, however, if you insert using Tinke, you'll be fine. Just be sure to back up your files before using Tinke because there is a rare chance it may corrupt your rom.
Also, I thought that these R/S/E notes had to be placed exactly on the B/W track that plays the intrument that you want the notes to play. I thought this because as far as I'm concerned I can't seem to change an instrument from a channel (track). For example, Channel 3 (of a random midi) plays the Harmonica but I want it to play Synth Bass 2 instead. You (Team Fail) did say something about changing the patch numbers in FL Studio, but the only 2 areas (as far as I know) that mention the patch numbers are:

1. Fruity LSD (Insert 1) box (where you open the .dls file).

2. Channel Settings box.

On the Fruity LSD box, I click on one of the channels listed in the box and it gives me an option to click on a patch number (supposedly to change the instrument). I click on it, but instead of hearing the new instrument play, it either plays a different sound instead of the game sound or it just doesn't play any sound at all. The Channel Settings box does kind of the same thing, only that sometimes it does play the instrument from a game after changing the patch number listed there. However, when I click "Stop" to halt midi's playback and clicking "Play" again, it resets all changed settings to its original settings.
That's a common issue I ran into at first, but here's what you do:

Open your Piano Roll, and near the top, you'll see a small (Small is an understatement depending on the song) dropdown list, like so:
http://i.imgur.com/n03JV.png
There will be properties for each track based on the name, and if some are missing, don't worry! Select another track with the property you're trying to edit, then select your original track once again. It will then change the bottom part of the piano roll, and you can edit tracks, tempo, velocity, and whatnot. And they'll stay set to what you want them to be.

Nurse Kevin
November 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
That's a common issue I ran into at first, but here's what you do:

Open your Piano Roll, and near the top, you'll see a small (Small is an understatement depending on the song) dropdown list. There will be properties for each track based on the name, and if some are missing, don't worry! Select another track with the property you're trying to edit, then select your original track once again. It will then change the bottom part of the piano roll, and you can edit tracks, tempo, velocity, and whatnot. And they'll stay set to what you want them to be.

OK, I'll check on that part. Thanks again.

Team Fail
December 4th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I've added a new tutorial that covers a new method of looping, however, it uses official Software Development Kit tools, but it covers a looping method that BOTH the GBA and NDS tools support. Anyways, this method of creating a SSEQ file will allow you to use modulation, and almost everything else the DS engine supports. Once the tutorial gets approved, I'll be adding a link to it.

Edit: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=292547

Jacusiek
January 6th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Is there a way to change some music files that exist in game in Pokemon White 2? I mean to change trainer's music (eg. Hiker) to Kanto Gym Leader music? If it is I would like to change some music:
Trainer named Hiker will have Kanto Gym Leader Music,
Youngster - Johto Gym Leader,
Worker - Hoenn Gym Leader,
Lass - Sinnoh Gym Leader and with champions:
Waiter (not Waitress) - Kanto Champion (Blue),
Dancer - Johto Champion (Lance),
Psychic (man) - Hoenn Champion
the last music: music which plays, when you fight the last, final battle in world tournament and that music for a Doctor.
Please, help me in doing it, just explain how to change music for Hiker, then for the others I will try allone to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Team Fail
January 6th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Is there a way to change some music files that exist in game in Pokemon White 2? I mean to change trainer's music (eg. Hiker) to Kanto Gym Leader music? If it is I would like to change some music:
Trainer named Hiker will have Kanto Gym Leader Music,
Youngster - Johto Gym Leader,
Worker - Hoenn Gym Leader,
Lass - Sinnoh Gym Leader and with champions:
Waiter (not Waitress) - Kanto Champion (Blue),
Dancer - Johto Champion (Lance),
Psychic (man) - Hoenn Champion
the last music: music which plays, when you fight the last, final battle in world tournament and that music for a Doctor.
Please, help me in doing it, just explain how to change music for Hiker, then for the others I will try allone to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Doing this would require you to edit and add to a table that is within the arm9, if memory serves.

Jacusiek
January 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Doing this would require you to edit and add to a table that is within the arm9, if memory serves.
Well, I don't know how to do it (if it is possible), so could You help?

Team Fail
January 6th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Well, I don't know how to do it (if it is possible), so could You help?

I wouldn't know where that table is, so I couldn't help. This is for editing the actual music, and nothing more.

AndresMDQ25
January 5th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Hello, i've been trying since yesterday to insert a .sseq file i've made. The MIDI sounds perfect, so i converted it to .sseq and using Tinke i've replaced the bycicle theme sound. The problem is, when i listen to it ingame, it sounds in slow motion. If I extract again the .sseq file from the modified ROM, it sounds perfect. I've no idea what i'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks.