PDA

View Full Version : Albums of 2010.

Barney.
January 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
So, a reasonably good year for music has just passed us by, and hopefully, this new year will bring us some popular music that wasn't written in 5 minutes by a middle aged man for a young high pitched teenage girl's (or boy's) wet dream.

So, let us review this year in music by celebrating our top 5 albums of the last year!.
They don't have to be in order, and you don't even have to put 5. But here are mine for some loose guidelines..In order, favourite first and so on:

1. Four Tet - There Is Love In You.

The pinnacle of Four Tet's music so far. Every track is beautifully crafted, and just leaves such a massive lasting impression. Just brilliant.

2. Foals - Total Life Forever.

Stupidly, I initially passed on this album after hearing "This Orient" and thinking that this will be a massive disappointment compared to the outstanding "Antidotes". And while I still don't like that track much, the rest of the album more than makes up for it. Each one has a very echo-y quality and while they may not be super fast paced, they're still as catchy and beautiful as ever.

3. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening.

More magic from James Murphy and co. each track is an epic, and really gets you into an almost trance like state. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

4. Holy F*ck - Latin.

Not as good as their other two albums (Holy F*ck and LP), but it's still a very good album, with a lot of genius thought been put into it and just as much creativity.

5. Errors - Come Down With Me

An album made with real heart, synth beats mixed with minimalistic plinks and plonks. Fine instrumental music from a fine instrumental band. Go check it.

Those are mine, what are yours?

Captain Fabio
January 13th, 2011, 09:00 PM
For me, this year hasn't been as exciting, band wise, as the previous years, so my album list is going to be short.

After the Burial - In Dreams
Even though I have only just discovered this band in early 2011, their album was still released in 2010 and boy, what an album. They are just completely amazing.

Alter Bridge - AB III
Great band with another amazing album from 2010.

Daath - Daath
Their first main album and just heavy as they come.

They are the only ones that really stand out for me this year, unless I have forgotten some!

Eliminator Jr.
January 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Copy pasta:

Cloak and Cipher by Land of Talk

2010 was so good a year in music that it was borderline impossible to make this decision. There were a number of four and five star albums released and to be honest the deciding factor that drove me to choose Land of Talk's new album as my favourite of the year is beyond me. They're a Canadian indie-rock outfit with a female vocalist whose voice sounds like a cross between Emily Haines of Metric and Lisa Mitchell, and have very catchy songs. The album kicks off with a very catchy title track and then an equally pop-style tune in Goaltime Exposure. Quarry Hymns was the first song I heard by Land of Talk but strangely enough it's the least played of all of the songs on the album - when I first heard it I was amazed, but the rest of the album blew me away as well. If I had my choice I would have made Swift Coin (track 4) the single from this album. It's definitely the catchiest song on the album. Color Me Badd is a pretty sad song and it gets to me every time I listen to it. Some of Land of Talk's lyrics I find hard to interpret, but this song is pretty clear :( But if anything can get me out of temporary depression it's more Land of Talk - The Hate I Won't Commit is an amazing song and a nice contrast to the track before it, especially the second half where it goes into a heavy-ish math rock breakdown sort of thing. At first I payed little attention to Hamburg, Noon, but just the way the drums go from quiet and backgroundish into a regular beat along with the lyrics "I wasn't following you" just change the entire song. Very catchy. Okay, I'll try and finish this off quickly (I'd be surprised if anyone is still reading): Blangee Blee is a nice song. The least-good song on the album, but still miles above most of my music library. Playita is great, and has a great feel, same goes for the album closer Better and Closer.

Ahhh. Done. tl;dr the album was good.

Very Honourable Mentions:
Beach Fossils - Beach Fossils
Crystal Castles II - Crystal Castles
Past Time - Grass Widow
Nothing Hurts - Male Bonding
Teen Dream - Beach House

A lot of other bands deserve mentions (Black Keys, Foals, Blonde Redhead) but the albums above were the best ones.

MaStalee
January 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I'm a big fan of Kanye's new album. There are a lot of haters but it has some great production value.

otaku-dono
January 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Hmm let's go through all the 2010 albums I have...

Acid Witch - Midnight Mass: Yet to listen; shall edit later.

Apocalyptica - 7th Symphony: Only listened to it once, but it seems like a solid album. Apocalyptica are pretty consistent, but imo they need to lay off the vocals and stick to the pure instrumental approach.

Bullet for My Valentine - Fever: Again, only the one listen but at least it's better than Scream Aim Fire. ~_~

Constantine - Shredcore: Basically guitar wanking but it sounds good and that's really all that matters.

Cynic - Re-Traced: Not as fond of this as Traced in Air, but it's nice to have some non-vocoder vocals for a change. Wheels Within Wheels is a great track, but the rest are all inferior to their album counterparts imo.

Disturbed - Asylum: Yes Disturbed, we know what you sound like. Perhaps you would like to release an all-round good album now? Although the intro track is a nice change (instrumental).

Edenbridge - Solitaire: Don't really remember this one, need to give it a few more listens.

Ef - Mourning Golden Morning: Don't really remember this one either but iirc it was some solid, mellow post-rock.

Eisbrecher - Eiszeit: Album of the year for me, and Eisbrecher's best. They are so so consistent, and the individual tracks are basically all great.

Eton Nir - Tales from Tamriel: Really liking the potential here. All of the tracks are instrumental at this stage (some band difficulties with the vocalist or something), and hopefully vocals don't ruin it because this is a very good album.

God is an Astronaut - Age of the Fifth Sun: Another solid God is an Astronaut album, but am yet to give it a really good listen.

How to Destroy Angels - How to Destroy Angels: EP of the year for me. Sounds like The Fragile era Nine Inch Nails with arguably better vocals, which is good enough for me. Really looking forward to a full-length from these guys.

Ice Dragon - The Burl, The Earth, The Aether: Need to give a good listen, but first impression was a solid doom album.

Intronaut - Valley of Smoke: Fantastic album, Intronaut really got their stuff right here. The mellow parts are gorgeous; the heavy bits are glorious; the transitions between are seamless; just great listening all round.

Khuda - Palingensia: Solid post-rock album, with some nice innovation.

Mühr - Shepherd/Blood: Need to give a better listen.

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy: Pretty average by Nevermore's high standards, but still a decent album.

Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies: Not as good as Elect the Dead, but it had its moments and was nice to see Serj singing with some lighter music even if his voice doesn't fit it terribly well.

Solar Scream - Bare to the Bone: Pretty solid album from what I remember, but I need to give it a couple more listens.

Tarja - What Lies Beneath: I honestly don't mind her leaving Nightwish because her solo stuff is just as good, seriously.

Thorun - Thorun: Instrumental doom metal? Yes please. Quite a good EP with some humorous track titles to boot.

UnSun - Clinic for Dolls: Only listened to it once, but from what I remember it's an improvement on The End of Life, especially in the vocals department.

Zoroaster - Matador: Such a good album. Not sure if I like it more than Voice of Saturn, but it's still very good and solid all round.

2 Times Terror - Equals One Sudden Death: Not a bad album, but I need to give it a few more listens before I can judge it better.

I thought 2010 was pretty decent, but by no means amazing (which I expect 2011 to be).

Gold warehouse
January 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Favourite Album

The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monáe

An easy choice for me. As this isn't just my favourite of 2010, it's one of my all time favourites. Funk, hip hop, soul, classical, jazz, rock, all in one album, and still manages to sound great. The album is far more creative than any other in the genre, Janelle's singing is brilliant, the instrumentation is interesting throughout. Every song on the album is unique due to it's diversity, yet they still manage to tie in to each other instead of sounding like a compilation album full of different artists. The result is a very well presented and interesting concept album. I'm sure she's the best thing that's happened to soul music since Stevie Wonder. Even my least favourite track on the album (Tightrope) is very good. The lyrics are wonderful despite their simplicity, she shows that you can make a creative album whilst still staying in the pop music category. For lack of a better description, it's intricately simple. The first half of the album is an upbeat, politically themed dance music section, the second being a much more relaxed, love themed finale. I won't evaluate every single track because I'd be here forever, but anyone who likes either R&B, soul or funk, listen to this album!

Honourable Mentions:
Pins and Needles by The Birthday Massacre: Generic synthpop + generic emo hard rock = awesome synthrock. Love the singing, love the synth. The guitars are simple and dull, but I'm too busy listening to the other aspects to even care.

Belus by Burzum: One of the few people that does black metal properly.

Écailles de Lune by Alcest: Shoegaze metal, brilliant album. My 2nd favourite of 2010.

The Blood of Heroes by The Blood of Heroes: Justin Broadrick never fails to make something great. Industrial + D&B.

Scratch My Back by Peter Gabriel: Gabriel actually makes a cover album that's good, because he uses an orchestra and puts his own unique spin on the songs rather than trying to sound like the original. Probably because they're all such good songs that can't possibly be topped, but he does something original and enjoyable rather than butchering the songs. I love his voice, so I enjoy this album.

Copypasta from Eliminator's thread, but removed The Dead Weather because I decided I didn't like that album. I've also since got some others worth mentioning. n__n

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West.
I was never that big on hip-hop before I heard this album. I'd listen to the occasional track from Graduation or Kid Cudi's debut, and that would be it. Then I heard this and I realised what I was missing out on. It got glowing reviews pretty much everywhere that's notable, and they summed it up better than I can, so if you're interested at all then just look some of them up. Pretty much one of the best hip-hop albums of the decade.
I'm a big fan of Kanye's new album. There are a lot of haters but it has some great production value.
The haters don't know what they're talking about, dude.

Have One on Me by Joanna Newsom
Lyrically and musically excellent. Much like Regina Spektor, she's not just "another indie girl", she actually does something different and this album shows her talents very well.

The Lady Killer by Cee-Lo Green
I've always known of Cee-Lo, but just thought of him as "that guy from Gnarls Barkley" and never really listened to him properly. Then "**** You" came out and he suddenly got a load of hype; I like his voice and after learning he had a new album thought I might as well check it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rest of the album gets far better than just that single, he really did make that song simply for the marketing aspect. The rest of the album showcases his unique voice in a far more tasteful fashion, and is actually one of the best soul albums I've heard in recent times, along with...

New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh) by Erykah Badu
I've liked Erykah Badu ever since her album Baduizm, which I also always thought was by far her best. Until I gave this one a listen. Much better lyrics, much better production and a lot more ambitious than her previous efforts. Plus it has the excellent single Window Seat, which I have to admit does outshine the rest of the songs on the album, but none of them are that far from meeting the same high level.

Man On The Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager by Kid Cudi
Cudi tries way too hard to be Kanye West, which loses him points for originality. He still does a good job though, this is a good contrast to his debut and a much stronger album in that all of the songs tie together to create something whole, which he attempted on the first album, but I don't think he quite managed it. There are a fair few decent songs on here and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes their hip-hop; but as an artistic effort, it just feels like a Kanye album with Kid Cudi doing the vocals.

Pilot Talk II by Curren$y
Curren$y, however, manages to make his own unique sound. This would be the perfect hip-hop album for me, the production is great, the samples are flawless, it takes all that was good from the first Pilot Talk album and improves it; instrumentally it's one of the finest examples of hip-hop, the only let down is the lyrics. The lyrics are nothing special at all, and drag the entire album to the bottom of a pit of easily forgotten records. I still enjoy this album a whole lot, because I can enjoy something for the sound rather than lyrics, but it's still just a big flop. Again, I'd recommend it to someone who likes hip-hop.

Body Talk by Robyn
Robyn's been working on Body Talk for a long time, and now it's finally complete I can say it was well worth the wait. Her music is fun and quirky, it's straight up pop music with all of Robyn's own little quirks thrown into it to make it far more interesting. I love the lyrics, her voice is great and she can still show all the kids that they've got a long way to go before they're the best at pop, the only one who can make the same claim is Kylie.

Cizaña De Los Amores by Omar Rodríguez-López
Anyone that knows me knows that Omar is my favourite musician and that I love all of his albums. Although that said, some of his albums are quite clearly better than his other ones. He released nine whole albums last year, because he creates music as often as he eats. Unfortunately, none of them really wowed me like 2009's Xenophanes did. As the year was coming to an end, I saw he had a few more albums left to go. I wasn't expecting anything too great, but acquired them anyway like I always do.
Then I heard this album, and it was the one I'd been waiting for all year. It's far from being his best artistic effort or from showing off his talents, but he's doing what he does best, which I really cannot describe without using some sort of ridiculous terminology. It reminded me of Old Money, and there was a lot more focus on keyboards too, which I enjoyed a lot because Omar's work on keyboards is great and he doesn't bother with it nearly often enough.

And now I'm getting fed up of writing too much, so I'm just going to list the others.
R.E.T.R.O. by mind.in.a.box.
Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty by Big Boi
Small Craft on a Milk Sea by Brian Eno
Treats by Sleigh Bells
My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky by Swans

MaStalee
January 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I have to agree on Kid Cudi's album as well. It was a lot different than his first but it was still an amazing album.

Jak
January 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Kings of Leon - Come Around Sundown

People don't seem to be big fans of it, but I think it's a more grown up mature sound for them. It's not all about the drugs and sex anymore, it's more of a reflection of love. I love this album. :)

Scytheteen
January 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM

People don't seem to be big fans of it, but I think it's a more grown up mature sound for them. It's not all about the drugs and sex anymore, it's more of a reflection of love. I love this album. :)

kwrejhuw omg I LOVE that album! It's so good!

In addition to that album, I have a couple of other favorite albums of 2010.

Contra by Vampire Weekend

It came out in January, and I'm obsessed with it. It's very happy and cheery, and always put's me in a good mood :)

The Suburbs by Arcade Fire

By far my favorite Arcade Fire album. It's a kind of album where each song seems to blend into each other.

Transference by Spoon

Not my favorite Spoon album, but still a very good one!

Petilil
January 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM
kwrejhuw omg I LOVE that album! It's so good!

Ohhhhh, you're my best friend now<3 (Don't worry, I'm Sydian. lol)

Also didn't mention this before, but...

Eminem - Recovery

I thought this was a great album. Surprised Nica hasn't posted in here to tell us how great Not Afraid is. But idk how to describe it. It's just a great album, and...hell, that's all I can really say. Truly amazing. Eminem came back with a bang.

NamelessGuy
January 14th, 2011, 09:43 PM
There are many contenders for my favorite album from 2010, but only one can take the delicious victory cake. I also took the liberty of adding a small review to each album.

Winner

Eric Clapton - Clapton

Song by song, this album is a flawless flow of blues-rock, never sounding sleepy or monotonous. Although it is mostly composed of cover songs, a couple of them are original compositions. Eric Clapton is one of my favorite guitarists, and this album proves that he has not only not lost his edge, but also that he is still sharpening it. His music is timeless, and has always left a big influence on me, both musically and mentally.

Runners-Up

The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang

It's always refreshing to hear a band paying homage to vintage rock and roll. With his Bruce Springsteen-esque vocals, Brian Fallon leads his band in a musical storm of punk-infused heartland rock. If rock and roll still exists, then it's contained in this album.

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (Remastered Deluxe Edition)

Already one of my favorite albums of all time, it was excellent to see this masterpiece re-released with eleven bonus tracks left off the album's original 1972 release. The bonus tracks showcase The Stones' trademark blues sound, exemplifying it well like always.

Although I prefer to stay away from mainstream "rock" music, this album struck a chord with me. I normally dislike electronic backtracks, but they seemed to fit this album's theme nicely.

Vader
January 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Now this technically came out in late '09, but i didn't discover it until 2010, and it dominated my Ipod/LastFM.

http://www.bringingbandstothefans.com/storage/Sci-Fi%20Crimes.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1252454015938
Chevelle - Sci-Fi Crimes.

It's one of their best ever, and definitely on of their most complete. Every single song is amazing, from the radio stalwart "Jars" to the eerie "Roswell's Spell" One song in particular, just transcends music for me - "Shameful Metaphors" It gives me goosebumps, every time I listen to it. Everything about that song, and the album as a whole is really just mindblowing to me. A great listen.

Barney.
January 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Crystal Castles II - Crystal Castles

This was one that barely missed out on my Top 5. Not as accessable or instantly likeable as the first Album, but I think I've grown to prefer it over it's predecessor.

Man On The Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager by Kid Cudi
Cudi tries way too hard to be Kanye West, which loses him points for originality. He still does a good job though, this is a good contrast to his debut and a much stronger album in that all of the songs tie together to create something whole, which he attempted on the first album, but I don't think he quite managed it. There are a fair few decent songs on here and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes their hip-hop; but as an artistic effort, it just feels like a Kanye album with Kid Cudi doing the vocals.

I didn't like this album anywhere near as much as Man On The Moon: The End Of Day...But still pretty good.

I lost all interest in KOL after the disaster that was "Only By The Night". Yeah that's right. I said it.

Contra by Vampire Weekend

It came out in January, and I'm obsessed with it. It's very happy and cheery, and always put's me in a good mood :)

Another album that I initially just though "It's not as good as the first one". But over time I've come to prefer it more. By quite a bit too.

Forgot to say some "Honourable Mentions". Let me do that.

Avey Tare - Down There - More solo Animal Collective goodness...Just not as good as I thought it would be unfortunately. Still good.
Devo - Something For Everybody - Dumb fun with DEVO! Yeah I liked it. Suck it.
The Drums - The Drums - The beach never sounded so appealing.
Yeasayer - Odd Blood - A much more accessible an poppy Animal Collective..And there's nothing wrong with that.

And, sort of cheating..

Animal Collective - ODDSAC - It's a Visual album that'll freak your mind out. Watch it on 'shrooms.

Amore
January 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Well, it is 1am, so my mind may be slightly clouded, but what the heck, I'm nocturnal over weekends.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d9/Disc-Overy_album_cover.png/220px-Disc-Overy_album_cover.png
Tinie Tempah - Disc-Overy.

Brilliant debut album, loads of catchy tunes, and despite my growing distaste for a lot of mainstream music (I do like some of Rihanna's older stuff, and certain singles) due to the decline of guitar music in our (U.K.) charts, I love listening to this over and over again. My favourite track would be a toss-up between Wonderman featuring Ellie Goulding or Frisky featuring Labrinth.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Danger_Days-album-2010.jpg/220px-Danger_Days-album-2010.jpg
My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys.

It's slightly weird this album, being based on some sort of post-2012 world where everyone is being oppressed and the music is being sucked out of the world, as far as I can tell. It charts the journey of MCR's alter-egos, narrated by Dr. Death Defying. But I do enjoy listening to it, and one of my favourite quotes comes from it (even though it's nonsense) "Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny". Na Na Na has to be my favourite song from it though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/The_Betrayed.jpg/220px-The_Betrayed.jpg
Lostprophets - The Betrayed

I discovered Lostprophets in 2010 with "The Betrayed" and really like it. I can't say why really, but "Where We Belong" is my favourite song, and one of my favourites of the whole year.

And my other favourites, namely "This Is War" by 30 Seconds to Mars, "Only Revolutions" by Biffy Clyro and some others which don't make it into the top 5 were released late '09 and merely gained recognition and air time in 2010. Kinda shows how awesome late 2009 was when the Brit Awards nominees include "XX" by The XX and "Sigh No More" by Mumford & Sons which were both from 2009, not 2010.