PDA

View Full Version : Tiles

Andrut
January 15th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I noticed a huge style diversities in many hacks, some of them use original FRLG/RSE tiles, some use a mix of Advance Generation games, but some use assorted DPpt and HGSS style.
Also, some people use completely custom tiles, which aren't based on any generation.
Well, i was very curious which do you like the most.
Personally, i like original FRLG/RSE tiles with some tile mixes and adjustments, but i really dislike DS generation games style, as i think that they're the least aesthetic.

Binary
January 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I personally prefer the use of the default FR/LG tiles. A few slight palette and tile adjustments which work well with the rest of the tileset looks good too.

Or ..I'd just prefer custom tiles. Depends on how well you use the different tiles to fit with a suitable environment for your hack.

PKMN Trainer Alison
January 16th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I personally love the FR tiles, but I dislike the Ruby ones. DP/HGSS tiles can be okay, but I like them with a mix of custom tiles.
Complete custom tiles? I really only like them if they remind me of original Pokemon game tiles, if it's coloured badly and looks like a Mario game (Which I HAVE seen) Then its a no.

DrFuji
January 16th, 2011, 03:45 AM
So long as the assorted tiles don't clash with each other and aren't troublesome while mapping, I have little to no problems with any of them :)

I also find that the mapping style used can influence the way I feel about the tiles - e.g. I feel that the default R/S/E tileset looks far better when used in the 'natural' style of mapping whereas FR/LG doesn't comparatively. It is one thing to look at some tiles out of context and say that they are bad, but you really have to see how good they can be when used appropriately.

Spherical Ice
January 16th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I love the FireRed tiles, and some people can pull off maps absolutely stunningly in that style. Adding in some tiles from Emerald and Ruby can be great. I agree with Doctor Fuji though, different tiles suit different maps and mapping styles.

sab
January 16th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I like the style light platinum uses, but It's too much work for me to insert them, so I map with nintendo-ish tiles.

Poster
January 16th, 2011, 07:27 AM
For my taste, I'm going:

1. FR/LG with custom FR/LG themed tiles
2. FR/LG defaults
3. FR/LG with a blend of R/S/E tiles
4. R/S/E tiles
5. Other, completely new tiles
6. D/P/Pt/HG/SS defaults

About mapping, I can't really say anything, because imo tile choices =/= mapping. BUT, palettes do come down on a great combo with any kind of tile.

SwirlyBirds
January 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I like FR/LG with a few R/S/E tiles, I think some of the r/s/e tiles are pretty good, just not the trees.

Quilava's Master
January 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
The r/s/e houses are hideous. WIth the exception of Verdanturf Town. I prefer FR/LG styled tiles anyday. A few block edits and BAM! Great looking game!

NintendoBoyDX
January 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
All gen 3 tiles are terrible. RSE were worse than frlg, but all 5 games had terrible tiles. I personally like many of wesleyfg's tiles, but more than anything kyledove's newest. Gen 4 was a step up from gen 3.

Rayce
January 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
The thing is it really matters on the mapper, some people can make amazing maps, where as others should just stay with the origonals because they tend to make flaws and their maps aren't very complex

For the most part though I enjoy completely origonal tiles as long as they are good

Ninja Caterpie
January 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Basically, I like matching. I don't mind new tiles, as long as all the graphics that'll be on the screen at any point in time all match it. That means changing the all the sprites to the new style and possibly menus. Because nobody ever really does that, I prefer generally unchanged (or Nintendo-style) tiles and graphics. (although the majority of RSE tiles are fairly hideous o_e)

Quilava's Master
January 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
All gen 3 tiles are terrible. RSE were worse than frlg, but all 5 games had terrible tiles. I personally like many of wesleyfg's tiles, but more than anything kyledove's newest. Gen 4 was a step up from gen 3.

The way I see it HG/SS > FR/LG > D/P/Pt = R/S/E

I don't know whu but I think Diamond & Pearl had some of the ugliest textures known to man! They're just as bad as R/S/E. HG/SS hands down had the best looking tiles, though I'm not a fan of the grass.

Kevin
January 17th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I like the default FR/LG tiles with the palettes edited a bit. They look pretty nice.
Although some custom tiles in some hacks I see look appealing also.

Hermione Granger
January 25th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I favor a mixture of advance generation tiles. It seems to fit well with each other.

KitKat13
January 25th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I like the original FR/LG Tiles, adding some emerald tiles, they look perfectly good.

Full Metal
January 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I for one actually love the d/p tiles. I don't particularly care for the plat. ones though. Some of the platinum tiles were OK, but I really do like the d/p ones. And the HG/SS ones are a small step down for the most part [although, the tree is ugly IMO]. FR/LG are really good tiles, but the problem is that they just seem so...integrated, and almost bland. It's like eating a tasteless gourmet meal: It would be so much better with some spices {eg brighter palettes more dynamic shading,etc }

Shiny Quagsire
January 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I prefer fire red styled tiles, with some extra tiled that fit in with them.

Corvus of the Black Night
February 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Pokemon Jupiter had tiles that were edits from the Golden Sun: The Lost Age's tiles. They're 16 colours each so it's quite easy to import them in most instances, although they are much larger. So yeah, I like more custom tiles because they don't look like everything else.

Blaziquaza
February 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Honestly, this is how it goes for me-

HG/SS > Pt. > D/P > FR/LG > R/S/E > B/W

Black and White's tiles are terrible. That damned grass is so ugly :/

R/S/E would have been great with their palletes and FR/LG tiles, and vice versa. D/P were pretty good, but some of them were too small.

Platinum's were great, and HG/SS's were pure epicness.

NejiForce
February 5th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I hate Fr LG tiles (RSE are ...ok....)
I love Revamps and Custom Tiles and I work just with them

G00dbye
February 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I don't like the houses of dppt/hgss because most of the time they doesn't look good because of the 16 colors. I like custom tiles if they are made nicely, like that ones in the signature from DrFuji I like them

Echidna
February 19th, 2011, 07:01 AM
using the old fr/lg tiles is boring...using dppt tiles is great giving the game a gen 4 feel... but using custom tiles is trhe best...it gives a certain feel of uniqueness to the hack.... as long as they are gd tiles.....

Alias-
March 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM
Each style is different; comparing different styles of tiles is similar to asking yourself which kind of food is better, Mexican or Chinese? Generally, you don't mix the two. The same goes for tiles. Don't mix fourth generation tiles with third generation, it just looks bad. And it's not like they work can easily put into the game as fourth generation tiles that are altered to be two dimensional are based on a ones that come from a 3D engine.
I wouldn't say a Picasso is any better than a Moneau. As long as they are skillfully created, I can see the purpose and appreciate the work the creator put in to make their project aesthetic.

masterquestmq
March 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I think that the FRLG tiles are beautiful just the way they are.

Although if i were to insert something to them it would probably be that sideway staircase on routes. (they only have vertival staircases)

other than that as it is. as it is.

The Noob Hacker
March 2nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Personally, I prefer either 3rd or 4th gen inspired tiles. As in, tiles that match a style, but have a different look. And in many cases, this is necessary. Because chances are there aren't tiles that match your specific needs, like most any forms of snow in FR, a certain unique building, ect. But I do like new tiles, not something that is required in the most basic of hacks, but most hacks need tiles made specifically for the game itself, in my mind at least.

Pokepal17
March 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Well, I like the Fire Red tiles with a bit of palette editing. I also like R/S/E tiles that match the Fire Red style. However, I'm not fond of the Fired cave tiles; I prefer the D/P/Pt cave tiles. :3

LePoisson
April 1st, 2011, 12:39 PM
HG/SS > Pt. > D/P > FR/LG > R/S/E > B/W

I most definitely have to agree with this.

Pogeygothaxed
April 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
1) : Stop bashing the R/S tiles. THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're not that plasbad. No one complained when the Blanket first came out. You're just comparing it to the newer tiles, which obviously is going to have differences. It's a different style, completely. Look at the 3rd gen Pokemon. Look at the 4th / 5th gen Pokemon. THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're the things that are hideous, imo.

2) : It's not the tile itself that isn't appealing to you, it's the pallet. Your eyes interpret colors and form images based on the reflections, etc etc. You could make tiles look "better" by simply replacing them. Go try it for yourself. Usually, the "tiles look better" when THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're placed in places that seem more realistic. Because again, you're comparing it to what you see irl.

3) : The 3rd Gen Pokemon, the 4th/5th, compare them to the originals. You can see the differences, THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're huge. Personally, I hate the new Pokes because THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're so different THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER don't even feel like Pokemon anymore. That's why most people dis-like Fakemon. But that's not my point. My point is: different styles are different. Just like any crazy form of -art-. Even if it's the same Pokemon (i.e. new re-spriting of old pokes, tiles, etc) people just have their own way of seeing things. You'll never find something that everyone prefers.

4) : Accept it for what it is. Play the hack or don't. Tiles aren't that important, it's just a way to represent a picture the mapper has in his/her mind.

P.s. I don't like how every new hack has to have new tiles, pallets, and have them as features when THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're almost monitory anyway. I've played a lot of older hacks that were mere "edits" of the original Blankets, and THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER were just fine. All of this was my opinion, and you're in no way obligated to agree. All I ask is that you don't start an argument over anything that I've said, because it's my right to say it. :)

Echidna
April 3rd, 2011, 03:01 AM
ok, might be a little off topic, but someone commented on my post asking me

what ar 'gd' tiles ?

In answer to that, 'gd' tiles is not some type of tiles, gd is short for good.

~Anbuja
April 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM
i like fr/lg tile rse not that much as for other tiles i like hg ss tile very much too:D
as for custom...i like alucus coz they are hg ss stylish and when i saw the first time alistair tiles those with some big tree i really hated them and didnt like them...when than i saw a firend working with those and than i started to use them myself ans yeah they are wonderfull and can look awesome too:D

Crimson Stardust
April 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I love fr tiles but at the same time most custom tiles like the previous poster put,
alistair tiles, i am using them in my hack, even though they are over used i don't think that is a problem since i mixed alistair tiles with others and also some custom tile of my own and the tiles itself don't really bring out the quality of the hacks but the pallete and the mapping style/quality which brings out the most of the tiles.
That is what i think that is why i don't mind in the overused tiles since it is beautiful hence overused.
It is still a matter of what each person thinks..xD

~Anbuja
April 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
yeah the poster before me is rightXD
but i don't think that alistair tiles are that much overused i know some poeple that have very much difficulties in using the tree tile because they don;t know how to map with them because they are bigger than 32x48.
i for myself had difficulties too when i just get them but wheni inserted them i get use of them:D and with other pallets and maybe some other tiles and some custom they look pretty awesome:D