PDA

View Full Version : What age do you think you should stop playing pokemon?

Solodomo
January 15th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Its a random question that came to mind lol

aglaya
January 15th, 2011, 08:41 AM
...There's no age limit if you like it, I guess.

Miluiel
January 15th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I agree, there is no limit. As long as you continue to enjoy the games and enjoy the experience, play on!

Haberdasher
January 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Whenever I get bored with it. Which might take a while. Until then, I'll keep playing, and I won't care whether people think it's improper my age to be doing so.

ShinyMeowth
January 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I intend to keep watching the anime and playing the games for the rest of my life. I really see no reason in stopping it.

iLike2EatPiez
January 15th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Play it until you get bored of it and don't want to play it anymore. Forcing yourself to stop playing just because you've reached a certain age is... silly. Never mind what other people think. If you enjoy something, regardless of your age, it's none of their business.

Purple Materia
January 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Well, when you get sick and bored of playing it, that's when.

Haowakeorden
January 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I don't believe the reason that you "should" drop Pokémon is necessarily related to age.

Amore
January 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Whenever you just don't want to any more. Although if you're a parent who neglects their kids for your pokémon, then you ought to quit right away, or at least cut down, and give them a better life :)

Eliminator Jr.
January 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Why does there have to be an age limit? As long as you keep liking the games you don't ever have to stop.

The Noob Hacker
January 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Whenever you lose interest. Weather it be at 12 or 21.

NamelessGuy
January 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I don't plan to stop playing Pokémon anytime soon. I may drift away from it, but that won't be intentional.

cyan.
January 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
whenever you feel is right, and in a few years you'd still remember it, be like "hey, i loved that show and the games so much"
although ive never actually seen anybody just stop with pokemon completly and forever. like, everyone i know has been like POKEMON IS FOR LITTLE KIDS and just returns to it a few months later. :/

ash catch em
January 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
umm no way im stopping playing pokemon.

tnguye3
January 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM
No age limit.
Play when ya want to.
Don't play when you don't want to. ^^

PlatinumDude
January 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
There's no age limit in which you stop playing Pokemon. It's a matter of when you choose to stop playing it.

Ryan Hekk
January 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't say there's an age limit. I guess there's a limit to how much from the universe you accept. I know people that would never consider buying Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Black, White, and some even Ruby or Sapphire. But if you offered them to have a shot at FireRed, LeafGreen, Red, Blue or Yellow, they'd go "hell yeah, I love those games".

There'll be a time when everyone who likes Pokemon currently will stop liking new products but newer fans will. The older fans will probably continue to play with the "vintage" titles until they get bored of them.

TJgamer
January 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM
There is no age when one should stop.
That's the choice of the player himself.

iCoffee~♥
January 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Anyone can play Pokemon, it's just that others think that if you do still play they would think that your too childish and if that's it you'll stop playing..But seriously, Pokemon is for any age, not just for children but for adults as well.

coolcatkim22
January 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
If you decide that you should stop liking Pokemon at any age, then truely you aren't a Pokemon fan.
In fact, if you decide you should stop liking anything simply because you've gotten older, then you probably never cared much for it in the first place.

The 100 Mega Shock
January 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
At whatever age you first develop a sense of self-awareness.

Ghostie
January 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
That's right, there's no age limit. You shouldn't stop something because you think others will think you're childish. If you like it, and you aren't hurting anybody, then play it for as long as you want to.

I don't think that quitting means you didn't like it much in the first place, which someone said earlier.
How many of you still watch Sesame Street, or Dora the Explorer?
I'm guessing none, unless you have kids and you watch it with them. Even then, I doubt that you'd watch those shows for your own entertainment.
My point is, you can really love something, but then grow past it later. It doesn't mean you never really loved it.

But if any of you guys DO watch those...more power to you I guess. XD

Eurydice
January 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
hmmm age to stop playing pokemon? *thinks* Never! i will prob play pokemon till the day i die ^_^

DoctorFred
January 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
hmmm age to stop playing pokemon? *thinks* Never! i will prob play pokemon till the day i die ^_^

That's it? Hmm... I'm still gonna be playing it in the afterlife. :P

On a more serious note, i agree with everyone who posted here. There is no age limit although many probably will stop once they hit college or somewhere around that time to start a career and live a more serious life. And even then, although most won't admit it, they liked it before, and still like it now.

이큐리
January 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM

I completely agree. <3
I don't think I'll ever stop completely. Maybe take a break for a few months...maybe a year. I always end up right back into it.

ShinyFufu
January 16th, 2011, 03:08 AM
I don't believe the reason that you "should" drop Pokémon is necessarily related to age.
Agreed. Just play/read/watch/etc. something for as long as you have interest in it. Don't drop something because society deems it "kiddy" and says that it's only "acceptable" to like it up until a certain age, and that someone liking it when they're past that age automatically makes them immature/childish/irresponsible/etc. or that it's "evidence" that there's something "wrong" with them(maybe because they -gasp- don't only like things that have a ton of sex, swearing, and nudity and have blood and gore flying all over the place).
Also don't drop something because a "friend" or gf/bf/etc. treats you like crap or threatens to disown you as a friend/gf/bf/etc.; someone who would disown you because of something so petty and trivial is not any kind of real "friend".
And besides, liking so called "mature" things like Grand Theft Auto and Halo is not necessarily a sign that the person that likes such things is "mature".

Andrew McKenzie
January 16th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Age is just a number, mate.
It shouldn't factor into this at all.

The reason the games are aimed at younger audiences is because of their playability.
The age rating means that that is the YOUNGEST age at which you should play.
ANything after that is a free for all!

I'll quit Pokemon when it gets too boring.
So far, it hasn't.

If it is a case of bullying over this, this is how I see it.
These games were a part of my childhood, therefore I see justification in my keeping that one part with me.
For people my age (20 going on 21) trying to get into the games, that's another story because they don't have the childhood factor and just seem embarrassed to want to play them.

But it DOES NOT MATTER about age. Ever.

MEGAS
January 16th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I doubt I'll ever stop. But even if I do, it'll be a short break only. Pokemon is the best thing ever now. :P

GlitchCity
January 16th, 2011, 05:06 PM
For me there is no limit :] actually my parents asked me the same question. I told them never :D

Gero50
January 16th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. I know people who are a half a decade older then me and they still love Pokemon including the gamers. I say you should if you like it.

TheDrummer16
January 19th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I've played the first and second generations off and on since their release... They're great games. Why stop if they're fun?

ngik...
January 19th, 2011, 05:46 AM
why stop playing??
pokemon is fun!!
no stopping, no stopping~

★Symbiosis★
January 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
You should stop playing when you feel you know longer have no intrest in it and are no longer having fun.There is no age limit on any kind of hobbie.

Lexie_Larue
January 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
I agree with everyone else, there really isn't an age limit, as long as you love something why stop :)

Lickeh Lickeh
January 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM
Like all good games should, when you start to get bored of them.

I can see myself playing video games for a long time.

Otherworld9)
January 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
When I die I'll be able to play games for infinity.
-Never will I stop except for my mate. 0_o

RYOUKI
January 21st, 2011, 09:17 PM
I don't know, oddly enough, I picture myself still playing Pokemon at age 25. So yeah, it wont be for a very long time.

Serene Grace
January 22nd, 2011, 03:02 AM
I don't think that there should be a specific age where you stop playing Pokemon. It's a franchise that you should enjoy if it's your kind of thing and once you get bored of it, stop engaging in the franchise.

However, seeing as you're talking about the video games, this thread looks like it belongs in General Pokemon Gaming since that's what houses Pokemon video game discussions.

danzen
January 22nd, 2011, 04:11 AM
Elementary School - everyone plays Pokemon
Middle School - only nerds/geeks play Pokemon
High School - no one plays Pokemon
College - everyone plays Pokemon

Jak
January 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
I think age is irrelevant to when I should stop playing. I guess I'll stop when the franchise no longer interests me.

The Sly Fox
January 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Age doesn't matter. I am probably going to keep playing for a long time, until I get really tired of it.

Cherrim
January 28th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I certainly hope there isn't an age limit because one day I'm sure I will breach it. :(

I say you only stop playing when you get bored of it. Otherwise, there's no reason to stop.

Tonko
January 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Stop when it's not fun. Why would there be any other reason? Stopping because people tell you it's lame or something is... well, lame.

Someone upthread said, though, that if you stop playing for good it means you aren't a true fan, and that, I disagree with. I used to love anime in general and some specific ones in particular when I was younger. I don't care about them now, but I LOVED them then. My tastes changed (I won't say I outgrew them, because tastes can change for many reasons) and I don't love them now, but it doesn't make what I felt then erased from my history. It's possible to be a true fan for a period of time, and for the feeling to wear off.

Man, I think it would be tragic if someone kept faking to enjoy something out of some kind of obligation or guilt about it. I can't think of a worse way to ruin something you used to love. And even if I am not an OTAKU OMG of, say, Sailor Moon, any more, I remember it very fondly.

Depending one what it is about Pokemon that a person really loves, they might keep playing forever, or it might not keep their interest anymore.

vudw
January 29th, 2011, 12:54 AM
This is a question I reminisce about often.
TL;DR - Never. Literally. Completely serious here.

I don't think I'll drop it. Even if I were to get bored, I wouldn't toss the franchise aside like an old ragdoll; it's grown on me FAR too much to do that now, and it's essentially a part of my daily thoughts. Seems a bit obsessive at first, and, well, maybe it is, but that's just how it's going to be.

You don't throw away your friends when you get bored with them, do you? (deja vu with that question right there, what...) Hope not. Guess that's just how Pokemon feels with me. Just not quite the same, obviously. ;p;

KitKat13
January 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I won't stop playing Pokémon, it's already part of my life. ^.^

Aquacorde
January 30th, 2011, 12:38 PM
There is no "should". The question really is "When will you stop playing Pokemon?"

As for me, I will stop playing... never, as far as the foreseeable future is concerned.

CHAZ The Cat
January 30th, 2011, 04:15 PM
This is actually an interesting theme.

But I mostly agree with what has been said. Pokémon will always be an interest to us all when we're 25, 30, 40, maybe even 50 and so on. But then we probably won't have the availability to play, or be as involved. It's not an age thing, it's just that life has a way to change priorities.

Anyway, when I get to 70 and I retire, I plan on playing videogames (especially Pokémon, GEN100000) on my ancient GameBoyAdvances and Nintendo DSs, and still have a blast.

Folkedahl
January 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM
74. That's the natural way.

white lancer
January 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Elementary School - everyone plays Pokemon
Middle School - only nerds/geeks play Pokemon
High School - no one plays Pokemon
College - everyone plays Pokemon

Haha, that's exactly how it works. I played like crazy in Elementary School, intermittently in Middle School, and rarely if at all in High School (usually only on long car rides). Now I'm in college, and I'm back to it! I think I can appreciate the nostalgia factor more now than I could in High school.

Ryden
January 31st, 2011, 12:59 AM
Pretty much what everyone else has said.

... there... really isn't much more to be said XD The only age that'll stop me from playing Pokemon, and any games for that matter is the age I die at. unless there is an after life and they got Pokemon/games, then well an eternity of awesome awaits me.

eylkkyle
January 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM
Odds are if it's kept your interest as long as it has kept mine, then you'll probably never grow out of it. I see absolutely no reason to stop playing for the sole reason of getting older.

Patchisou Yutohru
February 1st, 2011, 05:47 PM
I'm probably going to stop playing Pokémon after Generation V, unless something really special comes out next generation. I estimate I'd be about 20 around that time. But I don't think there's a set age you should stop playing Pokémon - or any video game for that matter.

Minerva
February 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM
To me, I have no idea when I'm gonna stop playing. I might revisit every generation in the future when the time comes.

daigonite
February 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
What a silly question... there's no answer to that. It's a game. You can play it no matter how old you are. I met an 85 year old woman who played Pokemon every day when she was taking a break from cleaning in the lunchroom, so age isn't a restriction, obviously.

Brohan
February 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
There really is no limit.
Albiet you really shouldn't be participating in kids tournaments when you're 30, lol.

Blaizie
February 5th, 2011, 05:13 PM
doesnt matter realy, its like other anime series/games.

ex: Naruto is: anime and playable too like Pokemon so there wouldnt be any reason to stop in any age.

Espuwott
February 5th, 2011, 05:24 PM
NOONE WILL TAKE AWAY MY POKEMON OBSESION!

vaporeon7
February 7th, 2011, 01:47 AM
There is no age limit. Just stop playing when you don't want to. Wether that's 12 or 32.

Beechlgz
February 7th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Probably when you stop having time for it, and unless you continue to live off your parents/benefits, you probably will stop having time for it. Except, maybe, the odd play once in a while.

Catholic Nun
February 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I'm 20, I see no end in sight. The age I will stop playing the games will be the age I am when they stop making them.

Relith
February 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I will stop playing pokemon when they stop making the games. Until then, this is my main game.

s4rg10
February 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Well i´m 23 and i just got recently into Pokemon games, i was collecting trading cards and watching anime when i was younger, but dint play games for some unknown reason (maybe because i was playstation kid) anyway long story short, you´r never too old to do what you like!

mikethemaster
February 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I THINK ALMOST everyone stops watchin the anime, but ur NEVER 2 old 4 the games

Cat
February 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM
There's no real age limit to playing Pokémon games, its when you feel the need to stop playing or that you've grown out of it. Like alot of video games, it's when you decide you don't feel like playing them no more, Pokémon is no different to any other video game, you see adults playing games like Halo, Call Of Duty and Pokemon is no different, young or old.
Pokémon has been a part of my life for, what.. 11 years now, so that obviously means something, like alot of people out there I don't see myself just stop playing anytime soon, it's a part of my life and will remain a part of my life, for lots years to come, especially the fact that I've played it for 11 years of my 17 year old lifetime.

s4rg10
February 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM
This remind me of one picture

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1863/143730.jpg