PDA

View Full Version : [Weekly Poll] Elemental Monkeys: Welcome addition or overkill? [ #16 ]

Forever
January 16th, 2011, 02:01 AM
[CSS-DIV=background-color:#ffffff;height:440px;width:700px;-moz-border-radius:10px;-moz-box-shadow: 5px 5px 8px #b1afaf;border:black solid 1px]★★★★★★★
B/W Weekly Poll #16[css-div=margin:10px]Were the Elemental Monkeys a good idea?
Pansage (Yanappu), Pansear (Boappu) and Panpour (Hiyappu), along with their evolutions, were introduced as the three elemental monkeys representing "hear no evil", "see no evil" and "speak no evil". Due to the fact that they influence who you face in the first gym, these monkeys are considered somewhat important, although they could be seen as fillers, because there are six of them, as opposed to the original thoughts of only just one. What's your take on them?

→ The idea is nice but I don't like the designs
→ I love pretty much everything about them
→ They're overrated
→ They're just fillers
→ I don't have an opinion on them

If you have any poll ideas, feel free to PM Kaori or myself with them. We may not use them the following week after you have suggested them, but we're likely to consider them in the near future.[/css-div]★★★★★★★[/css-div]

Zorua
January 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I like the elemental monkeys, and the concept behind them. Initially, I thought they were legendaries, but knowing that they're regular pokemon has no effect on my opinion of them whatever. I guess I can say that their designs are only slightly odd to me, but it's nothing I can't look past, because they're just simply that adorable. ♥

MeerFall
January 16th, 2011, 02:05 AM
they are soooooo overkill

Mod note: Next time don't try to bypass the character limit with the o's, but since it's only 3 characters, I'm leaving it.

Ynfiniti8
January 16th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Eh, the idea's just as good as any. I don't see anything wrong with them.

vaporeon7
January 16th, 2011, 02:22 AM
They are just another Plusle and Minun to me except they don't have an ability specifically for Tripple Battles. I think they are a bit overrated.

Blue
January 16th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I think it's a clever idea and they look great IMO.

pokewalker
January 16th, 2011, 04:46 AM
They are awesome! Plus I heard somewhere that Panpour was first a rock-type in the prehistory, but that it now became a water type. I think I heard that at the Dento's gym English Dub episode :P

Regeneration
January 16th, 2011, 04:48 AM
They're just Pokemon. Normal Pokemon. I do like the concept behind them, that's all.

Miss Doronjo
January 16th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I do like the concept of the chimps. They can be seen as fillers, but the same thing can be said about the Eevee family in that case. @-@; I like how in the dream world you can get them with Blaze, Overgrow or Torrent like the origonal starter pokemon. :3 The thing I have problems with them though, is that they probably should have the same names; and have their alt. forms be found in specific places (?) kind of like burmy's different forms; like the Trash cloak, etc. Also, I wasn't a big fan of evolving pokemon via stones. @-@; I dunno, I wasted so much time looking for these stones, and figuring out what pokemon to evolve it with....but, overall, I do like them.

Alternative
January 16th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I like the concept behind the Monkeys, and what they're all meant to mean, but the fact that they're all easily found in the wild baffles me and isn't really needed. I'd like it if the concept was later in the game either Dent, Pod or Cornn (depending on who you batled) would trade you their monkey for something different like Ishizumai.

Bluerang1
January 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I voted fillers but I realise that they were made for the whole first Gym trio thing so they aren't so bad. If they weren't monkeys, I'd have liked them better, probably.

Mew~
January 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I think they're all pretty cute. :3 Im not sure I really like any of their evolutions, the blue one looks pretty awkward. All the first stages are cute though anyway.

I love the whole consept, I remember seeing a picture on Pixiv which made them out to be sorta like the Blind, Deaf and non-speaking monkey thingees.

I liked how you could get given one early on in the Games to help against the first Gym Leader, very helpful indeed...

I also don't think you could call them fillers, well because, all the first gym leaders are based on them.

Haowakeorden
January 16th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I don't feel I have a real opinion on them. This kind of thing was bound to happen sooner or later.

Cooker
January 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I think the grass one looks cool but the other ones are pretty ugly, but I thoroughly enjoy that they brought back the stones for evolution-- and not some new kinds of stones, but the original water, fire and grass ones =D

Toshiro.
January 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I like those monkeys =P

The evolutions though, pretty ugly :/

Vrai
January 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
It's a cool concept and I'm a fan of all of the first stage ones but not so much with the evolutions. The only cool one is the Grass monkey evo. :(

Miluiel
January 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have no real opinion on them. Their designs are a little odd yet nice, but I really don't see the big deal with them. Perhaps I just haven't done enough research.

rocky505
January 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM
They learn odd and useless moves they are ok but to me are a no go.

solarowl
January 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Their basic forms are fine, I like them, but I don't like the evolutions' designs.

loliwin
January 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
The elemental monkeeeeyyysss are cool and cute at the start, some of em learn decent moves. Then use a element stone then ACK! Some of them lose their cuteness. :(

Yamikarasu
January 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I think more time could have been spent on the designs, because there's nothing really unique about any of them.

Gamefreak: "Oh, it's a fire type monkey? Just make it orange and give it hair shaped like a flame."

So I chose "The idea is nice but I don't like the designs."

Kevin
January 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I don't have an opinion on them. To me, there just another trio of Pokemon in a new game. Although I must say that their evolutions are real ugly.

Perrie ✿
January 17th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I think there just gimmicks in a way :/

There the Plusle and Minun of Triple battles. However they are overly cute <3

PsychoJigglypuff
January 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Pfft, I see no problem with them. Heck, I used my grass monkey for a good portion of the game, until I realized I had no need for a grass type. o3o;;

Gulpin
January 17th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Those two for me basically. I like some of the designs but some of them are just a little weird looking to me. I really like how no matter what there is another unusual early game type available to everyone, and you don't even have to battle to get it. They help you with the first gym and are fairly good throughout the rest of the game at least until you find someone else that does the role better (for example I replaced by Boappu - I still havn't learned the English names - with the much awesomer Hitomoshi). What is also nice is that you can actually get any of them soon afterwords in the forest before Hiun City.

chaos11011
January 17th, 2011, 01:13 PM
In my opinion, they are are Eevees (Pansage, Panpur, and Pansear) and when they evolve they become like Leafeon, Vaporeon, and Flareon (Yanakki, Hiyakki, and Baokki respectively) Since Eevee wasn't comming along for this Generation, they where made for Grass, Water, Fire coverage. (Keep in mind, I am exculding the other Eeveelutions for this summary.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
January 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I like the concept they are based on and their designs evolutions included.

Solaceon Glaceon
January 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
ah well their cute, but they cant kill anything X.x

PlatinumDude
January 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
The elemental monkeys are cool because they help you against the first gym leader (the monkey you get depends on your starter and that monkey is strong against the gym leader's monkey). I like Pansage and Panpour but not Pansear.

Twiggy
January 18th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Heh... I always find these funny in a good way! So... maybe I'm in the "I like them" camp. I loved everything about them. It's a fun addition to the usual.

Blue
January 18th, 2011, 06:39 AM
And it's another set grass, fire & water Pokémon.

Dent
January 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I quite like the monkey trio, and what they are meant to represent. Their designs are oddly adorable, in my opinion.

deneric
January 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I hate them so much *RAGE*

Alinthea
January 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I do like the concept behind it, the whole hear/see/speak no evil.

They don't look that great though. I know it is just ragging on the pixel art of them, but they don't look like anything special to me.

Spherical Ice
January 18th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I love their personalities, and the conept is really great, though I think the evolutions aren't that nice and don't really maintain the see/hear/speak no evil themes as much :/

Nakuzami
January 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I absolutely love their design and concept, and just everything about them. They are very welcome.

Except for the evolutions, they can go home. They suck in my opinion.

Blue
January 18th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I like the way you can obtain the one that is an advantage to the first gym, I also like the concept of the first gym, the way each one has an Elemental Monkey and who you battle depends on your starter, I wonder if in the 3rd game you battle them all.

Guy
January 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
The concept behind the Elemental Monkey Trio was a good one. Not that I ever thought about it, but it would be an idea that GameFreak would take from a realistic concept and use it as their own. I think my stand on them would be that their concept is good, but the designs (at least for Pansear and Panpour) could have been better; more so for their secondary stages. Even if I didn't like the design or concept however, I still liked the idea of how the game developers used them in a different tactic for the first gym.

Pansage being my favorite by the way.

Blue
January 18th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Pansage being my favorite by the way.

Hiyakki is my favourite, (water final evo)

Alli
January 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I don't like the evos, but the basic forms are kinda cute. And I think they're a welcome addition. I have nothing against them, except how overrated they are. But that's not their fault.

インフェルノの津波
January 19th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Oh my god I love them. Not to fond of their English name, but I love their origin. Its so...ERGH...

But yeah, Monkeys to Genies.

Pokestick, good times.
January 19th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I'm not a big fan of their designs, but then again, I'm not a monkey person to begin with.

The concept is fine, sure. It's not like I have to use them. I just have to beat the crap out of them from time to time:3

Blue
January 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I like the design, it adds something new to the game I guess.

bwburke94
January 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Filler. Just like the entirety of Johto in the anime.

Sabrewulf238
January 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I voted for both the first and second option, because my opinion is a mix of both.

I love Pansage and it's evo too.....but Pansear and Panpour seem too similar to me. Although Plusle and Minun didn't have much differences either.

I like the idea....and I do quite like these monkeys, however the designs could be a little bit better.

Quilava's Master
January 19th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I love the elemental monkeys in both design and concept. Their evolutions however are pretty weak (in terms of design), with the water monkey beign the ugliest!

KurcioDurcio
January 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I just used them as my HM Slave.

Rawrinism
January 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I think that the first evos are adorable! But the evolves? Not so much... :\

Sabrewulf238
January 20th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I do really like most of the pokemon....and it's probably becoming a bit cliche but I'm not mad about the water monkey's evo...

Something about....I think it's leg area with the dress (like a dress anyway) just seems a little......like that part was designed in a rush. I like it's head, but it's body seems off.

Devil Flamingo
January 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
They're interesting, and I do like the designs (except for the Fire one) and the concept, but in the end they're just another useless gimmicky thing. Ofc, out of all the crappy stats they could have had, 98 / 98 offenses and 101 speed is actually pretty amazing (Plusle and Minun wish they had these stats!). But with their crappy abilities and shallow movepool, they aren't very useful.

MrsNorrington
January 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I love them! I used the fire monkey throughout my entire playthrough of white. I plan on using the water one on my next playthrough.

But I hate their English names.

GlitchCity
January 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I love the idea and concept, and the designs except for
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/Sora-XIII/GIF-Pokemon/516.gif
I just dont like its design, everything else about it is good.

fenyx4
February 17th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Basically this. I love the first-stages of these monkeys, but the evos are quite strange. >_> Especially the Water and Grass evos. The concept behind them is great, though it kind of seems more fitting if these guys were legendaries. Pretty cool that they gain access to the starter Pokemon abilities in the Dream World. I don't know if I'll go with those abilities or the Gluttony ones...

For some reason, I see "Aipom and Ambipom" as pseudo-members of the trio, to represent the lesser-seen fourth monkey Shikaru of the "do no evil" concept (their specialty does involve their extremities/arms, after all). And the Chimchar line is still the better fire monkey line. ;)

Solice
February 17th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I love what they represent, but their designs could have been much better. I feel like the evos should have been more aggressive. Simisage could have been screaming to the sky, Simisear could have been hunched over clasping his hands against his ears as if a terrible sound was hurting him. I'm not sure about Simipour but they could have still done better. It has the worst design overall.

Rai
February 17th, 2011, 09:18 PM
My favorites out of the trio is Pansage/Simsage, but yeah I agree that the designs could have been much better overall.

Weber
February 17th, 2011, 09:20 PM
i do not like them at all, i think they are highly overrated in my opinion, going to keep it as that so i dont steop on any toes.

ohinvisible
February 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I'm usually not a fan of monkeys, but I love these guys. I think their designs are really well done, and I love the evolutions as well. I don't like their English names too much, but that's not a big deal to me.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
February 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Personally, I like the idea behind them, but the only two I really like are Pansage and Simisage.

Xander Olivieri
February 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
The Elemental Monkeys concept is very cute. I love how they act like secondary starters too. Even the first Gym which uses them relates to your starter choice. I laughed at their Evolutions. Grass = Elvis, Fire = Spitfire from Air Gear, Water = Mimi from Digimon. XD

Kendosis
February 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I like the idea they were going for but the designs fail. Monkeys seriously ?

Loophoo
February 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
The concept behind them is really cute. The designs are ... absolutely terrible. The water one especially just looks like a stoned hobo with greasy hair. But yeah, I do like them generally. None of them will get into my party and after I defeat them I probably won't give them a second thought.