PDA

View Full Version : "The Semi-Final Frontier!" Review Thread

Blue_Drifblim
January 22nd, 2011, 05:11 AM
The (awesome) Ash vs Paul match is finished, but the Sinnoh League isn't quite over yet....

Gumball Watterson
January 22nd, 2011, 05:35 AM
I let you have this one~

Turned on TV during theme song...
Oh damn Tobias's voice XD
Ash probably lost all because of that stupid Torkoal. I would've gotten Snorlax
A good draco meteor?
I wonder if these people ever considered Pokemon restrictions like in the games...
"what what what proves we don't deserve to have pants?!" o_0
Awesome, Sceptile.
Eeeeewww CN ads >__>
Poor Sceptile...
Oh yeah. What do you want to say to that? Darkrai?
Ugh, this guy is an uber hacker >__>
One more Pokemon? We all know what's gonna happen.
OMG HAT-FLIP
ew, more ads >__>
Prepared to be disappointed, Meowth.
Eew, face close up
Holy crap walking on purge anyone? XD
and...we lost. Of course.
"First time Ash made it into the top 4" >__> of course
This is what tropers call: "The final that should have happened"
Damn Brock, damn.
Stupid Barry >__>

No no no. What happened here was pretty stupid. This episode was a disgrace to the Metagamers and to the real anime fans. Oh well. Let's look forward to the end of this.

Kirbychu
January 22nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
This is actually one of my favorite episodes! After all these years, Ash and his Pokemon have gotten pretty powerful. Now we get to see how strong him and his Pokemon are compared to such powerful legendaries and their skillful trainer.

This battle had some wonderful scenes, like Swellow vs. Latios, Sceptile's dream, and Pikachu riding Latios. This is the last time we get to see Pikachu at peak performance for a while. I am very disappointed with how they handled Torkoal. I wish he got at least one hit in, or manage to survive one move. It would have been remarkable if Torkoal was the one to take out Darkrai, he deserves a win! Not only that, but I hate Torkoal's new voice. He use to sound like a senior citizen (Which worked for him. xD), but now he just sounds like a complete buffoon. Sceptile and Swellow's voices were great though. I actually might prefer Sceptile's new voice to the old one, this one is more intimidating.

It's kind of funny to see Barry just run off like that. I guess it fits his personality. Even though I'm disappointed about Brock's departure, it's definitely time for him to do something other than parental control.

matt0044
January 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
This is actually one of my favorite episodes! After all these years, Ash and his Pokemon have gotten pretty powerful. Now we get to see how strong him and his Pokemon are compared to such powerful legendaries and their skillful trainer.

This battle had some wonderful scenes, like Swellow vs. Latios, Sceptile's dream, and Pikachu riding Latios. This is the last time we get to see Pikachu at peak performance for a while. I am very disappointed with how they handled Torkoal. I wish he got at least one hit in, or manage to survive one move. It would have been remarkable if Torkoal was the one to take out Darkrai, he deserves a win! Not only that, but I hate Torkoal's new voice. He use to sound like a senior citizen (Which worked for him. xD), but now he just sounds like a complete buffoon. Sceptile and Swellow's voices were great though. I actually might prefer Sceptile's new voice to the old one, this one is more intimidating.

It's kind of funny to see Barry just run off like that. I guess it fits his personality. Even though I'm disappointed about Brock's departure, it's definitely time for him to do something other than parental control.

That and there wasn't a piece of dub music present in this episode. Though TPCi picked a strange time to use only Japanese music when Ash and Paul's previous battle needed it.

joacen
January 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
This battle was a real rip-off. Tabias obviously had the upper hand with all legendary Pokemon on his team (although we only saw Darkrai and Latios). He shouldn't have even been allowed to enter.

Anyway, Ash did an excellent job despite the odds. Plus, this episode saw Ash doing his trademark hat-turn for the first time in a while. That was pretty cool.

Now, both Ash and Dawn are determined to continuen following their dreams. But, what about Brock?.................

Guy
January 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm with Kirbychu on this one. This was actually one of my favorite episodes in a long while, pardon the three-part arc between Ash and Paul's final face off. To be honest, I think my views changed on this battle since seeing it in Japanese and then seeing it once more now.

While it may be arguable that putting Ash against a trainer who uses Uber-type Pokémon like Darkrai and Latios isn't fair. I think in return it allowed the writers to play with Ash's strength and bring out a lot of how much he's grown since. The only downer, which Kirbychu mentioned earlier, is how they wrote out some of the Pokémon like Torkoal - which was the worse. I think they did a nice job showing his Flamethrower got stronger, but not getting any hits in and being knocked out in one blow was poor.

I was eager to see Sceptile back in action again and getting a victorious win in return. Swellow versus Latios was also a nice addition in the line up. I'm always one to enjoy a battle of the sky.

I absolutely loved how they gave Brock a foreshadow near the end. It wasn't much, but it was something. Then there was Barry, haha, I'm going to miss him. Saying his last few words and then running off is very much his style. XD

Amore
January 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Oh god, they gave Torkoal the Torterra treatment. Only Torterra would've fainted as it exited its' poké ball, they've screwed him over so badly.

Still, this is one of my favourite episodes. Makes me glad I watched it. Pikachu's ability to hold onto Latios is impressive (he must have invisible/retractable claws). I loved how they showed Latios' jet-plane-rivalling speed by making it incredibly windy (unlike when he flew on Swellow in Hoenn, where he looked like he was joy-riding). It was definitely a nice touch to have Latios defeated, even if it did emphasise Pikachu's over-powered abilities even more. After all, the only other pokémon that would have stood a chance was Charizard (or possibly Infernape, but he's inexperienced), and Ash didn't really use his Kanto pokémon as much in the Sinnoh League, so it wouldn't have fitted to randomly bring in Charizard.

I'm glad Tobias appeared nice...if you've noticed, Ash always gets defeated by somebody nice.

Sadly Serebii ruined it for me, as I knew the exact moment Darkrai had fainted (Sceptile facing forwards having just side-swiped it with a Leaf Blade). That bit inside Sceptile's mind was pretty good (apparently heading towards the light at the end of the tunnel works differently for pokémon to how it does for humans xD).
I would've been really disappointed if Ash hadn't used Heracross, having previously shown its' ability to Sleep Talk, but only displaying one attack - now we know all four :)
Another thing we've finally been shown is the ending of a Pokémon League tournament. Yet another nice touch.

Brock's foreshadowing was un-necessary, but needed. If that makes any sense.

God the parallels to Johto were even more evident here:

- Ash's fully-evolved formerly (partially in this case) disobedient fire-type starter overheats the battlefield to help itself against his main rival.
- Ash goes out quickly to another strong trainer in the next episode, but not without an epic battle (Pikachu vs. Latios, Charizard almost killing Blaziken).
- Brock leaves (temporarily in the original).

But they're not really on topic, so, overall, a really good episode, rounding off a saga that really picked up in the final stages (after murdering it with almost a year of fillers and no gym battles) quite nicely. Cue kinda necessary fillers to explain everything :P

Kirbychu
January 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
The only downer, which Kirbychu mentioned earlier, is how they wrote out some of the Pokémon like Torkoal - which was the worse. I think they did a nice job showing his Flamethrower got stronger, but not getting any hits in and being knocked out in one blow was poor.
I really wouldn't be so concerned if Torkoal wasn't always the fall guy. Let's get real, the only notable thing Torkoal ever really did was when it battled against Brandon's Registeel. Thing is, it still lost. Other than that, it won once ore twice in the Hoenn league. I'm pretty sure that Torkoal has one of the worst win-loss records out of all Ash's Pokemon. Poor soul.

Oh god, they gave Torkoal the Torterra treatment. Only Torterra would've fainted as it exited its' poké ball, they've screwed him over so badly.
It's as if Ash got nervous and forgot that Torkoal and Torterra are defensive Pokemon. Well, that's assuming that Torkoal could live through one of Darkrai's moves. They always could've given him protect! :D

This is also the last time we're going to see Pikachu at peak performance for a while. You all better have enjoyed it. :|

WaterSplash
January 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
"what what what proves we don't deserve to have pants?!" o_0
Meowth was pointing out that since Team Rocket is always getting the pants beaten off them by Ash, and that Ash is now getting his "pants" beaten off, Team Rocket wouldn't even have pants if they went up against Tobias. Basically Meowth was saying in a weird way that they suck.

Pretty good episode. I felt sorry for Ash that his normally able Pokémon were getting crushed by Tobias' Darkrai, and major props to Sceptile for finally beating it. Having Darkrai and Latios is a cheap shot in a tournament anyway (you listening, Wi-fi Battlers?) and I certainly wouldn't be cheering for him to win after I lost to him. But, on the bright side, at least it wasn't a dragged out arc just to see Ash lose.

Like I said, pretty good episode, just 2 more left in DP saga, then on to Unova!

GlalieX
January 22nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Despite Tobias's clear advantage and how much I like Ash, this was still a great episode. It seems like a good precursor to BW, and Ash didn't seem to have any hard feelings about it, and Tobias turned out to not be a bad guy after all.

Best part of the episode? Pikachu on Latios's back and Tobias getting super frustrated. Specifically, "Pikach, Thunderbolt, you can do it!"

vaporeon7
January 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
One thing that annoyed me was Torkoal's voice as soon as I heard it I was like o.0 but Pikachu vs Latios was awesome. I was waiting for there to be a big explosion and at the end I got one :). It was so frustrating for Torkoal only getting 18 seconds of screen time (that's right I counted) and get knocked out by one measly hit. I wanted to see some of Ash's Pokemon use new moves as well. However I still loved this episode.

Jorah
January 23rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Aha! After months, and months, and months, I have finally caught up with the dub! XD

Although I still do find it cheap that Tobias used all ubers, apart from Ash's poor choices in Torkoal and Gible, now watching it for the second time in the dub, he did pretty well. I have to say this is one of those episodes where Pikachu shined and shown us he actually is powerful :D I enjoyed the whole of Pikachu vs Latios, and Pikachu did amazingly against it.

- Doesn't Heracross know any buy-type moves? >_>
- I have to agree, why on earth did Ash choose Torkoal. What a waste.
- Jesus. Torkoal...Gible...it's like Ash wants to lose
- Gible out.
- Sceptile, thats good
- Din't any of them research Tobias's Pokemon on the computer?
- Haha, Swellow nd Latios yelling at each other
- Ash turned his cap around :D
- Ash spamming Thunderbolt is probably the best thing he's done...
- Even though Pikachu lost, I have to say, it done amazingly well. Pikachu vs Latios was actually realistic (anime-wise) as well, which makes it better.
- They should all be angry at Tobias for using ubers >_>
- Barry just ran out the show T.T

Music kept:

All :D

I wish TPCI did the same with Ash vs Paul, because I'd argue that battle was more important.

Serene Grace
January 23rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
Did anyone else smile when Ash turned his hat?

Absolutely enjoyed this episode for sure. I have to give it to Tobias, he's such a good trainer and that Darkrai of his.. I wouldn't want to face that thing for sure. If Ash knew that Tobias had another strong Pokémon like Latios up his sleeve, Ash would have been a little more selective with his choices. I agree with everyone who says that Torkoal was a bad choice - I think Charizard would have feared much better in any situation situation. I also think Ash was relying too much on Draco Meteor in Gible's case and when Darkrai simply dodged it, we all knew the outcome.

I think Pikachu vs Latios was absolutely amazing. It brought back memories of Pikachu vs Dragonite in the Orange Island and I think Pikachu deserved to win it at the end. It's a shame but I guess Tobias deserved it, albeit he did walk all over what was meant to be a tough, prestigeous league.

Lexxy
January 23rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'm entering this as I watch this.
Am I the only person who, when Laitos was sent out went:
"WHAT THE FLYING F***!?!!?!?!?!"

Anyway, I just finished this and I would have to say I'm not fond of the episodes where Ash doesn't win the League. I understand they want a "catch" but it's happened a few times now that I just want him to be a hero and win it all.

Guess it was too much to ask for him to actually use his decent Pokemon [Do not like Torkoal] and defeat all of the legendarys and becoming boss.

Kirbychu
January 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
I don't think people give Torkoal and Swellow enough credit. Just because a Pokemon isn't big or lacks three stages doesn't mean it's bad. D:

Ash obviously made his selections based on previous battles with legendaries.

You guys seem to be forgetting that Torkoal nearly defeated a Registeel that was trained by the strongest Frontier Brain. Torkoal definitely has improved since its many losses in Hoenn. The thing is, somebody has to be the fall guy. If all of Ash's Pokemon got a couple hits in it wouldn't have made Tobias seem as intimidating.

Swellow also is a very powerful and speedy Pokemon, it managed to keep up with Deoxys while it was in its speed form. Gible finally has mastered its incredibly powerful Draco Meteor and Heracross has a great type-advantage going on along with Sleep Talk.Sceptile took on Regirock (Kind of) and Deoxys, plus he needed his time to shine. Pikachu defeated Brandon's Regice, even though it would've been included in this battle anyways. I don't think Ash's team selection was that bad, it's actually pretty reasonable. Come on, let's give some other Pokemon a chance to battle. Ash would have lost with Charizard and Snorlax anyways.

Mew~
January 24th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Loved the actual episode, Ash failed though.

Im not sure I was happy with tobias's voice actor, Im not sure why... "^.^

Wasn't happy with the battle field, grass, really? Quite boring.

Heracross was a good choice, it battled pretty well. Hyper Beam was a big suprise for me, I didn't like how Darkrai's ice beam attack was quite equal with it. I was glad it got a hit in when Ash used sleep talk, pretty good.

Wasn't happy with Torkoal being knocked out in one move. Like Amor said, it's been given torterra treatment.

Gible really, really suprised me, I mean - what the hell, he hasn't even had it for that long... It preformed okay, Ash's quick thinking on brick break was good. I was suprised Darkrai doged all the draco meteors though, but then again, it is a legendery after all...

I got all hyper when Secptile was sent out, it didn't disappiont, in my opinion it preformed the best out Ash's team in this match. Sceptile's dream reminded me a lot of when "Evil Ash" battled brandon, that bit with Ash watching the battle going on. Sceptiles leaf storm was a bit of a fail, but it was great when sceptile took darkrai out with leaf blade.

I loved Latios's entrance, it looked so epic coming down from the sky going past sceptile really fast.

Poor Sceptile was knocked out by that giga impact. I was suprised out easily it took down Leaf Blade though.

It was really cool to see Swellow, the whole sky battle thing seemed really awsome and I got excited, only to be disappointed to see it faint in one hit...

Like everyone else has mentioned, it was pretty cool to see Ash turn his hat around again.

Pikachu battled pretty well, I couldn't question writers choice on it, after all this was his last battle and pikachu is his most trusted pokemon. I think the whole jumping on the other pokemons back has gotten pretty boring now, it's been so overused now, but at least it worked well.

The end to the battle was pretty intense, Pikachu's running on luster purge was cool, and then Ash told it to used Iron tail, and I have to admit, that combo was cool, I feel like giving it a name, Volt Tail? Anyway, I was happy with it ending in a draw. It would have been cool to see Ash at least reach the finals though...

Barry running off was him all over, im sure i'll miss him though. Lets hope he gets a special like Dawn and Brock.

I don't think people give Torkoal and Swellow enough credit. Just because a Pokemon isn't big or lacks three stages doesn't mean it's bad. D:
Im sure no one is saying that, but seriously they did do very bad.

Ash obviously made his selections based on previous battles with legendaries.
Reaaalllllly? :\ (Sarcasm)

You guys seem to be forgetting that Torkoal nearly defeated a Registeel that was trained by the strongest Frontier Brain. Torkoal definitely has improved since its many losses in Hoenn. The thing is, somebody has to be the fall guy. If all of Ash's Pokemon got a couple hits in it wouldn't have made Tobias seem as intimidating.
Honestly, that just gives it more reason to have done a bit better against Darkrai.

Swellow also is a very powerful and speedy Pokemon, it managed to keep up with Deoxys while it was in its speed form. Gible finally has mastered its incredibly powerful Draco Meteor and Heracross has a great type-advantage going on along with Sleep Talk.Sceptile took on Regirock (Kind of) and Deoxys, plus he needed his time to shine. Pikachu defeated Brandon's Regice, even though it would've been included in this battle anyways. I don't think Ash's team selection was that bad, it's actually pretty reasonable. Come on, let's give some other Pokemon a chance to battle. Ash would have lost with Charizard and Snorlax anyways.
I do agree with that. He did actually think these through, including type advantages etc.. The only problem was Tobias's pokémon were just way too strong.

Really though, there should be some sort of uber rule. :(

Kirbychu
January 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Im sure no one is saying that, but seriously they did do very bad.
I think many of Ash's Pokemon are horribly underrated and overshadowed by the likes of Sceptile and Charizard. Come on, once Taillow evolved he won nearly every battle he participated in and often defeated multiple Pokemon in one battle. If you ask me, Swellow is probably one of Ash's most powerful Pokemon. I wouldn't include Torkoal in Ash's dream team, but I think he's a very underrated as well. Yeah, they preformed pretty badly here, but that's probably because the writer's were screwed for time and like you said, Tobias is a monster. Torkoal was probably used in place of Charizard because Sceptile and Charizard battling in the same episode would just be insane.

Reaaalllllly? :\ (Sarcasm)
I felt the need to point that out since not everyone has watched the anime completely through.

Honestly, that just gives it more reason to have done a bit better against Darkrai.
I agree with this. I guess one of the writers just hates the tanking tortoises.

I do agree with that. He did actually think these through, including type advantages etc.. The only problem was Tobias's pokémon were just way too strong.I agree.

luf100
January 25th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I just watched this right now, it's defintiely one of my favourite battles, maybe even my favourite, which is saying a lot because I usually don't give two craps about the battles. Even though it was obvious Ash was going to lose because of Tobias' legendaries (even though we only got to see Darkrai and Latios) it was still pretty epic. I liked the Pikachu vs. Latios part the most though, when Sceptile defeated Darkrai I almost missed it it went by so quickly.

The backwards hat Ash and his "Pikachu I choose you!" and then Pikachu's volt tackle in the air, into iron tail. I thought it was awesome! And all his thunderbolts. And the fact that Pikachu beat Latios even though he fainted as well was pretty cool. Gah I just loved it, lmao.

The music was awesome (I think someone said that they kept all the original Japanese music in, which they should do more often because even though I don't realize it when I'm watching, I usually like the original music more) and just the way everything was drawn or animated or whatever you'd say was great.

Brock's little inner monologue at the end, makes me sad. I've actually watched that upcoming episode in Japanese, it makes me sad. xD I'll miss Barry too, for being so annoying I really liked him.

I don't really overanalyze these types of things, like which Pokemon were used and how they were handled (like what seems to be going on in this thread :P ) I just really loved this battle and this episode. ^_^

Meduza
January 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I think Tobias shouldn't of had another legendary. And it also bugs me what his last four Pokemon are.

Masquerainisthajam
January 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Okay, several questions:

Didn't Ash, Brock and Dawn already know that they ran into a Darkrai BEFORE?!?!? TWICE?!?!? (The Rise of Darkrai & Sleepless in Pre-Battle)

I wonder what other "Legendarians" Tobias has...

Anyway, this was a good matchup. Too bad Ash lost; I don't think that Torkoal was a good choice. However, it would've been funny if Gible's Draco Meteor failed.

And what about Brock? This will be interesting.

Looking towards the end of the season!

9/10

Jorah
January 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I think Tobias shouldn't of had another legendary. And it also bugs me what his last four Pokemon are.

It's possible that the Entei and Lucario in the Saikou Everyday opening were Tobias's, since Darkrai was included in one of the battles alongside them in that opening. Who knows :S If only Ash bothered to look at the computer data before his battle.

Blue_Drifblim
January 29th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I really don't have much to say.... Well, Pikachu's battle against Latios was awesome. The animation, like the last two episodes, was great as well.

Music kept:

All :D

I wish TPCI did the same with Ash vs Paul, because I'd argue that battle was more important.

TPCI is weird.

Just.... weird. -__-

I'm glad they kept the music, though!

X Latios
January 30th, 2011, 04:54 AM
The thing that most bugs me about this episode is not Ash losing, but that Ash lost to a guy with at least two legendaries who they just threw in there with no mention of such a trainer before the tournament. Surely someone that powerful would have been mentioned by someone at least? It would have been nice to get some sort of backstory as to how Tobias managed to catch at least two legendary pokemon or for him to have made a cameo in another episode.

That being said, the battle between Pikachu and Latios was really well done and it was good Ash went out with a bang (literally) rather than just being swatted aside. Could have been a different story if Ash had at some point caught one of the legendaries he has managed to befriend over the years :P