PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Düsseldorf "Feel Your Heart Beat!"

Tailor
February 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
In a few months the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 will take place in Düsseldorf, and as a huge fan of the ESC I decided to make a thread for the fans of the ESC and have a place where you can discuss it!
I will update posts with updates ASAP.
Some facts (Source: Wikipedia):

1st Semi-Final

The first semi-final will take place in Esprit Arena in Düsseldorf on 10 May 2011.

The ten countries in this semi-final with the highest scoring points, probably according to a combination of televotes and jury votes from each voting country, will qualify for the final.

01: Poland - Magdalena Tul - Jestem
02: Norway - Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba
03: Albania - Aurela Gaçe - Feel The Passion
04: Armenia - Emmy - Boom Boom
05: Turkey - Yüksek Sadakat - Live It Up
06: Serbia - Nina - Čaroban (Чаробан)
07: Russia - Alexej Vorobjov - Get You
08: Switzerland - Anna Rossinelli - In Love For A While
09: Georgia - Eldrine - One More Day
10: Finland - Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam
11: Malta - Glen Vella - One Life
12: San Marino - Senit - Stand By
13: Croatia - Daria - Celebrate
14: Iceland - Sjonni's Friends - Coming Home
15: Hungary - Kati Wolf - What About My Dreams?
16: Portugal - Homens Da Luta - Luta É Alegria
17: Lithuania - Evelina Sašenko - C'est Ma Vie
18: Azerbaijan - Ell & Nikki - Running Scared
19: Greece - Loucas Yiorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance

2nd Semi-Final

The second semi-final will take place in Esprit Arena in Düsseldorf on 12 May 2011.

The ten countries in this semi-final with the highest scoring points, probably according to a combination of televotes and jury votes from each voting country, will qualify for the final.

France, Germany and Italy must broadcast and vote in this semi-final.

01: Bosnia & Herzegovina - Dino Merlin - Love In Rewind
02: Austria - Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love
03: The Netherlands - 3JS - Never Alone
04: Belgium - Witloof Bay - With Love Baby
05: Slovakia - TWiiNS - I'm Still Alive
06: Ukraine - Mika Newton - Angel
07: Moldova - Zdob și Zdub - So Lucky
08: Sweden - Eric Saade - Popular
09: Cyprus - Christos Mylordos - Son Aggelos S'Agapisa (Σαν Άγγελος Σ'αγάπησα)
10: Bulgaria - Poli Genova - Na Inat (На инат)
11: F.Y.R. Macedonia - Vlatko Ilievski - Rusinka (Русинкa)
12: Israel - Dana International - Ding Dong
13: Slovenia - Maja Keuc - No One
14: Romania - Hotel FM - Change
15: Estonia - Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street
16: Belarus - Anastasiya Vinnikova - I Live Belarus
17: Latvia - Musiqq - Angel In Disguise
18: Denmark - A Friend In London - New Tomorrow
19: Ireland - Jedward - Lipstickeller Street
14: Ireland - Jedward - Lipstick
15: Israel - Dana International - Ding Dong
16: Latvia - Musiqq - Angel in Disguise
17: FYR Macedonia - Vlatko Ilievski - Rusinka (Русинкa)
18: Romania - Hotel FM - Change
19: Slovenia - Maja Keuc - Vanilija

Final
The final will take place on 14 May 2011.

Only the "Big Five" countries will automatically qualify for the final

From the two semi-finals on 10 and 12 May 2011, twenty countries will qualify for the final. A total of twenty-five countries will compete in the final.

Televoters and a professional jury in each country have a 50% stake in the outcome.

01: Finland - Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam
02: Bosnia & Herzegovina - Dino Merlin - Love In Rewind
03: Denmark - A Friend In London - New Tomorrow
04: Lithuania - Evelina Sašenko - C'est ma vie
05: Hungary - Kati Wolf - What About My Dreams?
06: Ireland - Jedward - Lipstick
07: Sweden - Eric Saade - Popular
08: Estonia - Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street
09: Greece - Loukas Giorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance
10: Russia - Alexey Vorobyov - Get You
11: France - Amaury Vassili - Sognu
12: Italy - Raphael Gualazzi - Madness Of Love
13: Switzerland - Anna Rossinelli - In Love for a While
14: United Kingdom - Blue - I Can
15: Moldova - Zdob și Zdub - So Lucky
16: Germany - Lena - Taken By A Stranger
17: Romania - Hotel FM - Change
18: Austria - Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love
19: Azerbaijan - Ell & Nikki - Running Scared
20: Slovenia - Maja Keuc - No One
21: Iceland - Sjonni's Friends - Coming Home
22: Spain - Que Me Quiten Lo Bailao
23: Ukraine - Mika Newton - Angel
24: Serbia - Nina - Čaroban (Чаробан)
25: Georgia - Eldrine - One More Day

Enjoy!

Tailor
February 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
San Marino's broadcaster SMRTV revealed the artist that is going to represent San Marino in Düsseldorf is Senit!
http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/b8/74/3a/2a/27/fe/cb/69/50/02/c5/6c/e9/43/35/05/senit.jpg

weeman10
February 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
I only usually watch the Eurovision Song Contest for the laugh. And to see the United Kingdom fail miserably once again.

Tailor
February 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
I only usually watch the Eurovision Song Contest for the laugh. And to see the United Kingdom fail miserably once again.

I actually liked last years entry of the UK, but if you ask me the worst song on the esc last year was from the Netherlands, and the rest of the Netherlands will probably agree with me :P

Graphical
February 3rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
Us in Ireland are getting to choose between 5 acts by vote. And one of them is Jedward. They're still going to get lots of votes from obsessive fangirls all over the world (They are definitely going to be our act - obsessive fangirls). I'd like Ireland to actually come near the top for the first time in yeeeears.

Went
February 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM

Replace "United Kingdom" with "Spain" and that's me.

I really think that we'd take it more seriously if we weren't qualified by default. We still have to choose the entry and I can bet it will be as suckish as our previous 20 ones XD

Tailor
February 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM

I really think that we'd take it more seriously if we weren't qualified by default. We still have to choose the entry and I can bet it will be as suckish as our previous 20 ones XD

Makes me remember that weirdo on stage last year XD
Luckily Spain got a second chance.

weeman10
February 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
I actually liked last years entry of the UK, but if you ask me the worst song on the esc last year was from the Netherlands, and the rest of the Netherlands will probably agree with me :P

I can't remember the Netherlands entry to be fair, which probably proves you right. My favourite in about the last 5 years was this bloke from France called Sébastien Tellier, who looked like Jesus, so that won me over :)

None of the 'big five' so to speak ever do well in Eurovision (bar Germany last year). I hate the fact that our country usually gets to choose the entry, because the people don't have a clue :P I was surprised to learn that our entry was chosen internally.

I never usually like any of the actual songs anyway XD

Grassmen
February 4th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Me and my friends had a Eurovision party last year, and we're thinking of having one again this year. None of us really liked Germany's entry last year (though it was way better than ours >.< ) - the act with the pelvic thrusting saxophonist should have won :P

Will have to hear the song before I make any judgements, but it has to be better than last year. I felt sorry for the guy who sang it, because he was alright vocally, it was just that goddamn awful song Pete Waterman wrote that was just shoved on him.

mondays suck
February 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM
It's that time again already so soon? Well, I can't wait for everyone and everything being "LENALENALENALENALENALENA" again. Not like it wasn't annoying enough last year.
By the way, I did actually not hear her song yet so i can't judge it, I just hate overhyping.

Arma
February 4th, 2011, 06:23 AM

You're absolutely right!
Man, How come we always end up with the lamest songs representing our country? -.-

Tailor
February 4th, 2011, 10:14 AM
It's that time again already so soon? Well, I can't wait for everyone and everything being "LENALENALENALENALENALENA" again. Not like it wasn't annoying enough last year.
By the way, I did actually not hear her song yet so i can't judge it, I just hate overhyping.

Lena was good, but she isn't going to win again... (I hope)

You're absolutely right!
Man, How come we always end up with the lamest songs representing our country? -.-

I like the 3JS with Je vecht nooit alleen, but I prefered De Stroom!

Tailor
February 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Amaury Vassili to represent France, with the song: Sonniu
http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/18/c1/f6/59/44/9d/69/93/76/9b/0e/fe/c0/0d/c2/93/Amuary_Cantero_Booklet_031.jpg

Tailor
February 12th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Yesterday the Azeri selection was won by Nigar and Eldar. The song is not yet confirmed...
http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/71/4b/8e/44/11/7c/9b/3f/5b/cb/92/b5/10/49/8b/d0/EldarGasimov2.jpg

And Ireland will be represented by Jedward with the song Lipstick
http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/a5/ca/31/c5/9e/83/68/ac/6e/97/07/08/34/37/0e/91/Jedward2.jpg

Weeaboo Name
February 12th, 2011, 03:31 AM
What are Ireland doing?....i guess this is never really a singing contest anyway but Jedward. -.-

Grassmen
February 12th, 2011, 04:25 AM
If the UK were voting in the second semi-final, Jedward might stand more of chance of making the final. When was the last time Ireland even made the final? I can imagine that they'll score highly from the UK if they make the final though.

I actually don't know if Jedward going to Eurovision is a disaster waiting to happen, or sheer brilliance :P

Graphical
February 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
If the UK were voting in the second semi-final, Jedward might stand more of chance of making the final. When was the last time Ireland even made the final? I can imagine that they'll score highly from the UK if they make the final though.

I actually don't know if Jedward going to Eurovision is a disaster waiting to happen, or sheer brilliance :P

We made the final last year with Niamh Kavanagh. Came out near the bottom though. =/

I'm disappointed that they're representing us; they're terrible. We seem to have no talent in this country, with the way they're making us a laughing stock.

NurseBarbra
February 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM
What are Ireland doing?....i guess this is never really a singing contest anyway but Jedward. -.-
I was watching the Late late show with Ryan Tubitery last night which was the show for the voting and we went BRAINDEAD when they came on. I personally think the votes were rigged.

Tailor
February 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM

I was watching the Late late show with Ryan Tubitery last night which was the show for the voting and we went BRAINDEAD when they came on. I personally think the votes were rigged.

Am I the only one who actually likes that song. But I heard them live at the Late Late show and it didn't sound amazing. But I still kinda like it.
I always like the silly songs, for example in 2007 Ukraine "Dancing Lasha Tumbai" and 2008 Ireland "Irelande Douze Points"

Big update guys:

Iceland will be represented by Sigurjón's Friends with the song "Aftur Heim"

http://www.eurovision.tv/img/upload/news/2011/Iceland/VinirSjonna.jpg

Norway chose for Stella Mwangi with her song "Haba Haba" (WTF Haba Haba?)

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/21/02/f3/f2/3d/a9/68/74/e9/a2/bd/15/e2/2a/26/19/5d39LKUZse4EISFnGIpJHQnRSw5sCpKL1tH97OGQ6ZMQ.jpg

Glen Vella triumphs in Malta with the song "One Life"

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/88/3c/40/ca/ab/6b/0c/80/71/04/78/bd/97/6b/49/d7/DSC_0471.jpg

Belgium picks Witloof Bay wich song is "With Love Baby"

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/74/62/2c/90/63/3c/41/53/6c/09/97/d7/ea/8e/e3/cc/witloofbay2.jpg

And last, but not least Finland will send in Paradise Oskar with the song "Da Da Dam"

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/6b/54/d4/55/a5/cb/04/a1/3e/73/3f/26/68/96/49/ad/paradiseoskarfinaali620.jpg

Tailor
February 15th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Update: Poland will be represented by Magdalena who will perform her song "Jestem"

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/cc/b8/a2/4b/9d/75/0b/67/2c/c0/ab/6f/17/fe/de/f9/MagdaTul_Marcin_Kobrasinski.jpg

Tailor
February 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Another update!!!

The song that won "Unser Song für Deutschland" is Taken By A Stranger.

http://web12.twitpic.com/img/244385461-8a0b3031acc8ca52633e09995655c0ac.4d5ff710-scaled.png

Eldrine was triumphant in Georgia with "One More Time".

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/8a/42/9b/37/23/38/6b/32/1f/ab/c2/a3/79/30/12/89/Eldrine.jpg

And Lucía Pérez will represent Spain with Que Me Quiten Lo Bailao.

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/3e/a7/c4/0a/31/71/51/22/c9/80/34/b8/54/a3/5d/6e/Lucia_winner.jpg

Tailor
February 22nd, 2011, 01:25 AM
Bosnia & Herzegovina will send Dino Merlin with "Love in Rewind"!

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/e8/92/22/06/f7/9d/d7/08/8a/83/b8/a4/dc/f2/74/3e/Dino_Merlin_promo_koncert2.jpg

Tailor
March 10th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I've updated the list with all contestants. (finally)
And almost all the countries have chosen their entries!
65 days to go and the Eurovision Song Contest begins!

Nuke
March 10th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Oh no, I had a feeling it was that 'Blue'.

I dont like the fact that Ireland have Jedward simply because it means if they get to the final, we'll give them 12 points and they won't give us any. It is nice to actually have some acts I've heard of though.

I'm going to take a random pick and say it'll win -

7: Russia - Alexey Vorobyov - Get You

Russia are always up there thanks to tactical voting so why not?

AshyBird
March 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I say : Belgium rocks & Belgium'll win !

*Go sleep* ... Or not !

Sora's Nobody
March 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Just saying, Denmark is gonna win. Don't ask why i know, just do. *Cough.* Also the fact that germany chose the same contestant this year is kinda... loser-ish. I mean, do they seriously think their gonna win with the same one? relying on the same person to lead them to victory..

Tailor
March 10th, 2011, 01:28 PM

I dont like the fact that Ireland have Jedward simply because it means if they get to the final, we'll give them 12 points and they won't give us any. It is nice to actually have some acts I've heard of though.

Russia will be in the final as always, I hope we get a final with countries that have never been in the final, never won or countries like the Netherlands that just don't go to the final anymore.

I say : Belgium rocks & Belgium'll win !

*Go sleep* ... Or not !

I hope for you that Belgium will win, I mean they only won the ESC once.
But I myself want the Netherlands to win, but I don't think that's possible...

Just saying, Denmark is gonna win. Don't ask why i know, just do. *Cough.* Also the fact that germany chose the same contestant this year is kinda... loser-ish. I mean, do they seriously think their gonna win with the same one? relying on the same person to lead them to victory..

I think Lena is a great singer but her song kinda sucks if you ask me.
But Denmark isn't bad, they will go to the final I think.

Sora's Nobody
March 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Tactical voting? Hah. The only reason their up their, is because the other ex-soviet country's vote for them. Everyone knows that. And it doesnt matter how bad the songs are, they will always go to the final.

Mr Cat Dog
March 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Tactical voting? Hah. The only reason their up their, is because the other ex-soviet country's vote for them. Everyone knows that. And it doesnt matter how bad the songs are, they will always go to the final.As much as tactical voting happens every year of Eurovision, it's surprising that Russia has only won once given the sheer number of borders it has. It always seem to place relatively highly (two 2nd place finishes and two 3 place finishes since 1996), but this suggests that genuine affection for a song is what is the 'tipping point' from just a podium position into the gold medal slot.

As for the entry that I've heard - the UK's Blue, with 'I Can' - it feels strangely familiar and mundane, but that's sometimes what the rest of Europe goes for! All I know is that I'm looking forward to the 14th of May!

Tailor
April 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I've updated the list with songs so that now every song is in it. (I know I'm late. blame my school for it.) 5 weeks to go and the ESC 2011 will start!

Mr Cat Dog
May 5th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Slight bumpety bump, as if no one's going to post in this until the semi-finals start, I'd have to close it due to the 30-day revival rule.

Anyone looking forward to the big day? For me, I just watch the final; don't like being 'spoiled' about the other songs until then, so I've still got just over a week to go!

mondays suck
May 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Never change a running system :D
What could possibly go wrong? If she wins, fine, why not? If she loses, even better, it means I won't have to endure yet another Lena hype.

Tailor
May 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Slight bumpety bump, as if no one's going to post in this until the semi-finals start, I'd have to close it due to the 30-day revival rule.

Anyone looking forward to the big day? For me, I just watch the final; don't like being 'spoiled' about the other songs until then, so I've still got just over a week to go!

I think this might get more popular when the Semi-Finals start, and if that doesn't happen, that would be a shame... But rules are rules.

Nuke
May 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
It can't die now anyway, there is only nine days until its over.

Never change a running system :D
What could possibly go wrong? If she wins, fine, why not? If she loses, even better, it means I won't have to endure yet another Lena hype.

I think that Lena song was the first eurovision song I thought was at least okay.

Tailor
May 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Okay guys, hope you liked the 1st Semi-Final, results will be known in around 30 minutes and I will then post a list with all countries that will go to the final this Saturday.

These countries failed to get to the final...
Better luck next year, guys!

01: Poland - Magdalena Tul - Jestem
02: Norway - Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba
03: Albania - Aurela Gaçe - Feel The Passion
04: Armenia - Emmy - Boom Boom
05: Turkey - Yüksek Sadakat - Live It Up
11: Malta - Glen Vella - One Life
12: San Marino - Senit - Stand By
13: Croatia - Daria - Celebrate
16: Portugal - Homens Da Luta - Luta É Alegria

These are the result of the 1st Semi-Final and are placed in the order they appeared on stage! Congratulations with passing the Semi-Final!

06: Serbia - Nina - Čaroban (Чаробан)
07: Russia - Alexej Vorobjov - Get You
08: Switzerland - Anna Rossinelli - In Love For A While
09: Georgia - Eldrine - One More Day
10: Finland - Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam
14: Iceland (http://www.pokecommunity.com/#) - Sjonni's Friends - Coming Home
15: Hungary - Kati Wolf - What About My Dreams?
17: Lithuania - Evelina Sašenko - C'est Ma Vie
18: Azerbaijan - Ell & Nikki - Running Scared
19: Greece - Loucas Yiorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance

Grassmen
May 11th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Some surprising results last night! Turkey and Armenia have never not made the final before, and both Norway and Poland were seen as pretty much guaranteed qualifiers. Poor running order didn't help them one bit.

Probably in for more surprises on Thursday :)

Nuke
May 11th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Well my random pick to win (Russia) are in the final, so far so good. :D

Hope Ireland get through to the final.

Mr Cat Dog
May 11th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I don't know if the rest of Europe are going to going to understand Jedward, to be honest. Their lack of appeal is quite strange amongst English-speaking countries, and I'm unsure if they'll be able to transcend language barriers, but good luck to them I guess?

Nuke
May 11th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I don't know if the rest of Europe are going to going to understand Jedward, to be honest. Their lack of appeal is quite strange amongst English-speaking countries, and I'm unsure if they'll be able to transcend language barriers, but good luck to them I guess?

If not then they'll just look like that Spanish dude either last year or a few years ago doing all the dance moves.

El Michael Jackson, El Robocop etc.

Which is funny anyway so, no negatives really. :D

Grassmen
May 11th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Apparently there's been a rapidly growing hype around Jedward, particularly in Germany in the past week, so much so that they're now the second favourite in the betting. I really can't see them winning, but I'd say qualifying was pretty likely :D

France are still the favourite >.<
Such a boring entry and an incredibly smug singer. I hope they don't win.

The 2nd semi final juries performance begins in about 15 minutes. It'll be interesting to see how the jury and public opinions differ.

Tailor
May 12th, 2011, 01:14 PM
The results are in, these countries will advance to the big Final!
Congratulations! And Europe, shame on you for making such horrible choices in this Semi-Final.

01: Bosnia & Herzegovina - Dino Merlin - Love In Rewind
02: Austria - Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love
06: Ukraine - Mika Newton - Angel
07: Moldova - Zdob și Zdub - So Lucky
08: Sweden - Eric Saade - Popular
13: Slovenia - Maja Keuc - No One
14: Romania - Hotel FM - Change
15: Estonia - Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street
18: Denmark - A Friend In London - New Tomorrow
19: Ireland - Jedward - Lipstick

These countries didn't go to the finals, but the most were great!
Better luck next years guys...

03: The Netherlands - 3JS - Never Alone
04: Belgium - Witloof Bay - With Love Baby
05: Slovakia - TWiiNS - I'm Still Alive
09: Cyprus - Christos Mylordos - Son Aggelos S'Agapisa (Σαν Άγγελος Σ'αγάπησα)
10: Bulgaria - Poli Genova - Na Inat (На инат)
11: F.Y.R. Macedonia - Vlatko Ilievski - Rusinka (Русинкa)
12: Israel - Dana International - Ding Dong
16: Belarus - Anastasiya Vinnikova - I Love Belarus
17: Latvia - Musiqq - Angel In Disguise

Grassmen
May 13th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Wooh! Jedward got through :p

I'm surprised Moldova got through though, it was such a weak entry! Sweden deserved to get through despite the vocals - the giant pokeball in the background makes it a worthy winner :D

Tailor
May 13th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Wooh! Jedward got through :p

I'm surprised Moldova got through though, it was such a weak entry! Sweden deserved to get through despite the vocals - the giant pokeball in the background makes it a worthy winner :D

Well, Jedward has this thing that I kinda like about their song.
But I don't get why other good countries such as Israel and the Netherlands didn't get to the final.

Grassmen
May 13th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I can't really remember the entry from the Netherlands, apart from they were called 3JS or something like that. If I remember rightly, they went 3rd. They probably just got forgotten about - even though you can vote straight away, it's likely most people wait to hear an entry that really stands out, and you can't really judge the quality of the songs until lots have gone. I wonder how the jury voted.

I was very surprised Israel didn't get through, especially since Dana International won the contest before. The song wasn't brilliant, but I'd say it was worthy of a place in the final at least. Over Moldova, definitely.

King Of The Blues
May 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I was glad to see Ireland get through obviously. I do think that Jedward have a good to get up high the leaderboard but I don't think that they'll win it.
I can see Sweden winning it. Why? They have a real catchy song, good choreography, good lead singer who has the looks, I'd be surprised if they didn't win.

As much as I complain about the Eurovision at times, It's something I always watch.

Mr Cat Dog
May 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Just over half an hour to go! Excited, anyone?

While the Contest is ongoing, feel free to use this thread as a general Chit-Chat of your experiences watching it; don't be afraid to just post stuff... you don't have to wait until the end of the show to comment.

Nuke
May 14th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Just over half an hour to go! Excited, anyone?

While the Contest is ongoing, feel free to use this thread as a general Chit-Chat of your experiences watching it; don't be afraid to just post stuff... you don't have to wait until the end of the show to comment.

I was kind of hoping that would be how people posted anyway.

I'm not particularly excited but it should be a good laugh.

EDIT: Wow really still no posts?

Mr Cat Dog
May 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I'm so happy Italy came second. For a while towards the end, I was hoping they'd beat Azerbaijan... damn them with their bland entry and relatively attractive female singer!

King Of The Blues
May 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Ireland finished eight which is quite good,

Fecking Aazerbaijan though. I didn't like them at all. I was hoping and expected Sweden to win.

Nuke
May 14th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Why does everyone post now!? >:( Oh well.

Anyway, its good to see UK and Ireland do reasonably well compared to most years.

Still a shame Azerbaijan won though.

King Of The Blues
May 14th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Why does everyone post now!? >:( Oh well.

Anyway, its good to see UK and Ireland do reasonably well compared to most years.

Still a shame Azerbaijan won though.

I was too busy watching it lol.

I enjoyed it this year. I thought the presenters were very funny and entertaining and just good overall. Was disappointed that Azerbajan won it and Italy coming second. I din't think much of them and Jedward did us proud. Finishing 8th was good and it was nice seeing the UK get a relatively high place on the leaderboard as well.

Nuke
May 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Lena's song was pretty good again.

I thinks she may be the only good act ever to grace eurovision.

Overlord Drakow
May 14th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Azerhax country winning was bull. Didn't even know it fricking existed LOL. Georgia's act was the best in my opinion. United Kingdom got owned which amused me but not my friends >=D

CliveKoopa
May 14th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Great song by Azerbaijan and am happy it won. In fact, almost all the songs this year have been great apart from one or two and very interesting results too.

Grassmen
May 15th, 2011, 01:34 AM
There was some really strange voting this year! France, the bookies favourite, came 15th. Italy came out of nowhere to take 2nd. The female Azerbaijan singer was out of tune for most of the song and they still won. The Netherlands came last in their semi, and Poland in theirs (both of which did NOT deserve last place), yet Belgium's awful entry was one point away from qualification!

UK scored from a lot of countries, but all low scores, whilst Ireland got less countries but higher points. Quite distinct boos when Ireland only gave the UK 6 points. I mean, they gave us 4 last year! 7 for Scooch, 8 for Andy Abraham. Far worse entries scored better :p

Azerbaijan didn't win their semi final (Greece did). Ireland only came 8th in their semi (and only by a few points), but then came 8th overall in the final despite a far worse running position.

In comparison to other years which have been fairly predictable, the voting was just insane. Still have to wait for individual jury and public voting. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a massive difference of opinion.

Chiar
May 15th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I'm really happy Sweden hasn't won. Their song was way overrated and disturbing.
Georgia deserved a better place in my opinion, they had one of the best entries, but 9 is still alright.
Also, "great five" have made it way worse than I expected, with Spain and France on mediocre places, UK and Germany at just the middle. Italy made it fairly well, though.

Grassmen
May 15th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Yeah, there were a few countries who deserved better places than they got, and others who did NOT deserve to do so well. But this always happens. This year especially, there seemed to be a lot of political voting. After last year, I thought we'd moved on a bit, but it seemed to go back a lot this year.

I don't think the jury system works, because it's still not objective enough.

shenanigans
May 15th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Haha, who else here played the Eurovision Drinking Game last night? I might have taken it a little too far. x)

Anyway, I was dissapointed that Germany didn't win, although I know the song wasn't exactly Eurovision material. It was executed pretty well, and in all honesty it was one of the best songs I've ever heard in the contest. Smooth beats, catchyness, character. Not to mention that Lena looked stunning as usual.

I was actually pretty pleased by how well the UK did. We got at least some votes from most countries.

Grassmen
May 15th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I just drank :p

The UK got votes from most countries, but they were generally low scores (Bulgaria and Italy aside). Interestingly, Azerbaijan did really poorly in the Western countries, but really well in the East.

Sweden seemed to win in the West, Azerbaijan in the East, and Italy did fairly well in both. But since there are a lot more Eastern countries, Azerbaijan won.

Alinthea
May 15th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Normally the Eurovision's voting is just one big political show, but it wasn't so much this year.
I wasn't happy with Ireland giving us 6, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

However, I am happy Italy came second since I liked the song, but the crowning song was Moldova! XD

CliveKoopa
May 15th, 2011, 04:13 AM
get I just drank :p

The UK got votes from most countries, but they were generally low scores (Bulgaria and Italy aside). Interestingly, Azerbaijan did really poorly in the Western countries, but really well in the East.

Sweden seemed to win in the West, Azerbaijan in the East, and Italy did fairly well in both. But since there are a lot more Eastern countries, Azerbaijan won.

I was very surprised that Azerbaijan didn't get many western votes as it's a very western sounding song. Serbia got a lot of western votes when they won and that was an ethnic song. Anyway, I'm happy Azerbaijan won as they had a very good, memorable song.

Tailor
May 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
However, I am happy Italy came second since I liked the song, but the crowning song was Moldova! XD

Don't say that if you come to the Netherlands, almost everyone here thinks that the Netherlands should be in the final instead of Moldova...
I didn't like Zdob si Zdub in 2005 and I don't like them this year...

Grassmen
May 26th, 2011, 11:40 PM
The split votes from the UK, and the overall split jury/televote have been revealed. There were some huge discrepancies between the public and the juries. Azerbaijan was one of the few countries to do well in both.

UK Voting (Jury/Televote/Combined)

12: Switzerland | Ireland | Ireland (20)
10: Italy | Moldova | Switzerland (12)
8: Ireland | Iceland | Moldova (10)
7: Austria | Lithuania | Italy (10)
6: Denmark | Spain | Lithuania (9)
5: Serbia | Sweden | Denmark (9)
4: Georgia | Greece | Iceland (8)
3: Sweden | Denmark | Sweden (8)
2: Lithuania | Hungary | Austria (7)
1: Azerbaijan | Germany | Spain (6)

Apart from Ireland, the UK public and jury generally disagreed. Switzerland, Moldova, and Italy all did well in the combined vote, despite only doing well in one of the two votes. I'm surprised Georgia didn't do better in the public vote really.

Overall Split Votes (Jury/Televote/Combined)

1st: Italy (251) | Azerbaijan (223) | Azerbaijan (221)
2nd: Azerbaijan (182) | Sweden (221) | Italy (189)
3rd: Denmark (168) | Greece (176) | Sweden (185)
4th: Slovenia (166) | Ukraine (168) | Ukraine (159)
5th: Austria (145) | United Kingdom (166) | Denmark (134)
6th: Ireland (119) | Bosnia+Herzegovina (151) | Bosnia+Herzegovina (125)
7th: Ukraine (117) | Russia (138) | Greece (120)
8th: Serbia (111) | Georgia (138) | Ireland (119)
9th: Sweden (106) | Germany (113) | Georgia (110)
10th: Germany (104) | Ireland (101) | Germany (107)
11th: Bosnia+Herzegovina (90) | Italy (99) | United Kingdom (100)
12th: France (90) | Moldova (98) | Moldova (97)
13th: Romania (86)| Serbia (89) | Slovenia (96)
14th: Greece (84)| Romania (79) | Serbia (85)
15th: Moldova (82)| France (76) | France (82)
16th: Georgia (79) | Spain (73) | Russia (77)
17th: Finland (75)| Hungary (64) | Romania (77)
18th: Estonia (74)| Denmark (61) | Austria (64)
19th: Iceland (72)| Iceland (60) | Lithuania (63)
20th: Lithuania (66)| Lithuania (55) | Iceland (61)
21st: Hungary (60) | Finland (47) | Finland (57)
22nd: United Kingdom (57) | Slovenia (39) | Hungary (53)
23rd: Switzerland (53) | Estonia (32) | Spain (50)
24th: Spain (38) | Austria (25) | Estonia (44)
25th: Russia (25) | Switzerland (2) | Switzerland (19)

Again, some major differences of opinion. Russia and the United Kingdom were in the top 10 of the public vote, yet ranked in the bottom 5 of the jury vote. The opposite can be said of Austria and Slovenia. Italy was the clear favourite of the jury, but 11th in the public vote pushed it down to second. Surprisingly, Ireland did better with the juries than with the public!

The results show Azerbaijan was a clear and deserving winner. The results show would have been have been incredible had Sweden done better with the jury, given how close the public vote score was.

A few other countries (Finland, Germany, Estonia) have revealed their jury votes, but not the individual scores of the public vote.

Tailor
May 26th, 2011, 11:55 PM
The split votes from the UK, and the overall split jury/televote have been revealed. There were some huge discrepancies between the public and the juries. Azerbaijan was one of the few countries to do well in both.

UK Voting (Jury/Televote/Combined)

12: Switzerland | Ireland | Ireland (20)
10: Italy | Moldova | Switzerland (12)
8: Ireland | Iceland | Moldova (10)
7: Austria | Lithuania | Italy (10)
6: Denmark | Spain | Lithuania (9)
5: Serbia | Sweden | Denmark (9)
4: Georgia | Greece | Iceland (8)
3: Sweden | Denmark | Sweden (8)
2: Lithuania | Hungary | Austria (7)
1: Azerbaijan | Germany | Spain (6)

Apart from Ireland, the UK public and jury generally disagreed. Switzerland, Moldova, and Italy all did well in the combined vote, despite only doing well in one of the two votes. I'm surprised Georgia didn't do better in the public vote really.

Overall Split Votes (Jury/Televote/Combined)

1st: Italy (251) | Azerbaijan (223) | Azerbaijan (221)
2nd: Azerbaijan (182) | Sweden (221) | Italy (189)
3rd: Denmark (168) | Greece (176) | Sweden (185)
4th: Slovenia (166) | Ukraine (168) | Ukraine (159)
5th: Austria (145) | United Kingdom (166) | Denmark (134)
6th: Ireland (119) | Bosnia+Herzegovina (151) | Bosnia+Herzegovina (125)
7th: Ukraine (117) | Russia (138) | Greece (120)
8th: Serbia (111) | Georgia (138) | Ireland (119)
9th: Sweden (106) | Germany (113) | Georgia (110)
10th: Germany (104) | Ireland (101) | Germany (107)
11th: Bosnia+Herzegovina (90) | Italy (99) | United Kingdom (100)
12th: France (90) | Moldova (98) | Moldova (97)
13th: Romania (86)| Serbia (89) | Slovenia (96)
14th: Greece (84)| Romania (79) | Serbia (85)
15th: Moldova (82)| France (76) | France (82)
16th: Georgia (79) | Spain (73) | Russia (77)
17th: Finland (75)| Hungary (64) | Romania (77)
18th: Estonia (74)| Denmark (61) | Austria (64)
19th: Iceland (72)| Iceland (60) | Lithuania (63)
20th: Lithuania (66)| Lithuania (55) | Iceland (61)
21st: Hungary (60) | Finland (47) | Finland (57)
22nd: United Kingdom (57) | Slovenia (39) | Hungary (53)
23rd: Switzerland (53) | Estonia (32) | Spain (50)
24th: Spain (38) | Austria (25) | Estonia (44)
25th: Russia (25) | Switzerland (2) | Switzerland (19)

Again, some major differences of opinion. Russia and the United Kingdom were in the top 10 of the public vote, yet ranked in the bottom 5 of the jury vote. The opposite can be said of Austria and Slovenia. Italy was the clear favourite of the jury, but 11th in the public vote pushed it down to second. Surprisingly, Ireland did better with the juries than with the public!

The results show Azerbaijan was a clear and deserving winner. The results show would have been have been incredible had Sweden done better with the jury, given how close the public vote score was.

A few other countries (Finland, Germany, Estonia) have revealed their jury votes, but not the individual scores of the public vote.

Thanks for the information, the only things I can find is wich points were given to wich country... (Only checked for the Dutch votes)
But if you want to know:

Dutch voting:
Austria 1 point
Slovenia 2 points
Serbia 3 points
Romania 4 points
Ireland 5 points
Azerbaijan 6 points
Germany 7 points
Bosnia & Herzegovina 8 points
Sweden 10 points
Denmark 12 points (Le Danemark, douze points!:D)

Grassmen
May 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Here are the second semi results. Sorry it's not better news about the Netherlands Tailor. I'm typing it all out myself, so it takes a while. I might edit this post with the first semi later.

Semi Final 2 Voting (Jury/Televote/Combined)

1st: Slovenia (146) | Sweden (159) | Sweden (155)
2nd: Denmark (129) | Bosnia+Herzegovina (131) | Denmark (135)
3rd: Sweden (99) | Romania (121) | Slovenia (112)
4th: Austria (95) | Denmark (115) | Romania (111)
5th: Romania (85) | Ukraine (96) | Bosnia+Herzegovina (109)
6th: Estonia (83) | Ireland (78) | Ukraine (81)
7th: Ukraine (76) | Slovenia (68) | Austria (69)
8th: Belgium (71) | Moldova (61) | Ireland (68)
9th: Slovakia (71) | Belarus (54) | Estonia (60)
10th: Ireland (66) | Austria (52) | Moldova (54)

-------------------------- Qualification Boundary ------------------------

11th: Bosnia+Herzegovina (65) | Israel (51) | Belgium (53)
12th: Bulgaria (59) | Belgium (50) | Bulgaria (48)
13th: Moldova (53) | Estonia (46) | Slovakia (48)
14th: Macedonia (47) | Bulgaria (43) | Belarus (45)
15th: Belarus (38) | Latvia (43) | Israel (38)
16th: Israel (36) | Slovakia (40) | Macedonia (36)
17th: Cyprus (24) | Macedonia (33) | Latvia (25)
18th: Netherlands (22) | Cyprus (23) | Cyprus (16)
19th: Latvia (11) | Netherlands (17) | Netherlands (13)

Belarus was the only country that would have made it to the final had it been televoting alone, whilst Belgium and Slovakia would have made it based on jury votes alone. Generally there was a lot of agreement between the jury and public as to who should qualify - the main exceptions to this being Bosnia+Herzegovina (2nd in televote, 11th in jury) and Estonia (6th in jury, 13th in televote).

Interestingly, Denmark still did well in this public vote, despite doing poorly in the final televote. The running order may have been very significant, given that they went 18th in the semi, but 3rd in the final.

Tailor
May 27th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Sorry it's not better news about the Netherlands Tailor.

The TROS should have known better than to send the 3JS, they do make nice music and the lead singer sings very well, but they just can't perform on stage and that is necessary if you want to go the final.

Grassmen
May 27th, 2011, 03:18 AM
The TROS should have known better than to send the 3JS, they do make nice music and the lead singer sings very well, but they just can't perform on stage and that is necessary if you want to go the final.
I think the main problem was that everything about the performance was just 'OK'. It wasn't the worst song, or the worst performance, but it just wasn't distinctive enough for people to actually vote for it. Worse performances can do better because they're more gimmicky and interesting enough for people to vote. Generally, gimmicky performances with stand-out features don't have enough to win, but end up mid-table (see Ireland, Moldova, Ukraine).