View Full Version : B/W: Which protagonist?

February 5th, 2011, 12:07 AM
So, for those that imported, which protagonist did you play as? And if you haven't played, who do you plan on playing as? I'm playing as the chick in White since she's probably my favorite heroine. I like her design a lot more than past female players. And I'll play as the guy in Black since well...I'm tired of the girl sprite, and I really should quit playing as the opposite gender. lol

So, how bout y'all? :) No I don't know their names I'm a horrible person. ;o;

February 5th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I plan on playing as the female protagonist. For a while, I was on the fence about who I was going to play as, but it's final. I'm put off by her shorts, but that's something minor compared to what I have to deal with in the male protagonist. :(

February 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I'll be choosing White/Touko! I'm in love with her. ;P

King Gumball
February 5th, 2011, 12:13 AM
If I do get both games than I will be both :)

Otherwise the guy. I always choose on which sprite looks best. I think the guy's sprite looks slightly better but nothing beats Dawns sprite

February 5th, 2011, 1:31 AM
I played the female because the male looks like evry gen...
(and I played(without RSS)just the female because the male are always liitle boys with a hat)

February 5th, 2011, 2:46 AM
As always, I'm playing as the male protagonist (Touya) because he looks like Jaden Yuki from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.

February 5th, 2011, 6:54 AM
As I have for the past few generations, I'll be playing as the female protagonist. I've always done this, and I'll probably even end up calling her Hayley.

February 5th, 2011, 6:58 AM
I'm going to play as the girl. Her sprite is muuuch better than the guy's. I still don't like how the male looks, so yeah. Plus I usually play as the girl. :x

February 5th, 2011, 7:03 AM
Whilst playing Japanese White, I played as the male protagonist, however now I'm considering (when I get the english version) playing as the female protagonist, I think she looks awesome and I rarely play as the female, so I might give it a try!

February 5th, 2011, 7:29 AM
I'll play as the male protagonist in White...

and then when I get the third version I'll play as the female protagonist.

It was like that in the 4th gen too.

I like these new protagonists, they both look better than any previous ones.

February 5th, 2011, 7:45 AM
*sigh* -shemellon- if i picked the female , my brothers would tease me to infinity -shemellon- so i would pick the male -shemellon-

February 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM
The only time I played as the male protagonist was in the RSE games. Mostly because of Rubys/Brendans outfit. If I get ahold to another copy of pokemon White, I will play as him. But for now, Im going as the female protagonist in Black.

February 5th, 2011, 7:15 PM
I'll be playing as the guy just because I really don't care, and would rather play with a character that matches my gender. I do like the girls design more, however, but probably won't ever play as her.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
February 5th, 2011, 7:18 PM
I'm going to be playing as the guy as he looks like the main character of Yu-gi-oh GX, lol irony that the two mascot of these games remind me of two Yugi-oh cards themselves...

February 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
The female cause I love her design, and also purely because I love playing as my own gender :D Also not as keen on the design of the male this time around, which makes it an even easier decision lol :D

February 6th, 2011, 1:19 PM
While I admit that the male character is somewhat generic and the female seems to have a more refreshing design, I'll still probably pick the male, as is my custom. however, I may have a change of heart of get the opposite/third version to play as the female.

February 6th, 2011, 5:14 PM
Blair or Whitlea?

I'll go with Blair

February 6th, 2011, 5:33 PM
I'm gonna play as Touko cuz her pants are hawt & Touya is not.

February 7th, 2011, 4:07 PM
Its been on my mind a little bit on who to play as, the male or female Protagonist, and because I never go the female protagonist, purely because I'm a male, but now I think there's nothing wrong with it and it's a change so I'll be playing as the female, Touko :) she's also hot IMO ;)

February 7th, 2011, 4:41 PM
I honestly don't know. :x
I'll probably play as White, but I'm not a fan of her design...her pony tail looks like it's glued on the top of her hat and I hate shorts.
Black's design is...alright. Eh. He kinda looks like he's trying to be Ash, but not really.
But, I'll stick with White. Her design isn't fantastic, but she's got same-gender bonus. ;P

...I'd love it if there was a generation where the guys wear short-shorts and the girls wear baggy jeans. That's something I can get behind.
...Gamefreak, you have until the eighth generation (PFFT! As if their creativity will last that long) to do this.
I'll be sending you letters to check on you.
I've got your cell phone number (Don't ask me how, you won't like it). I'll call you once a week.
K? K.

The Red Chain
February 7th, 2011, 5:05 PM
I'll be choosing miss Touko, the female protagonist. :3
I love how the male looks, but Touko is just adorable. Gotta go with cute being the girly person that I am.

I used to not be too fond of Touko actually.. then came all the fanart of her, and that's where she finally caught me. <3

February 7th, 2011, 5:19 PM
I will as usual will be playing as the male protagonist - I dont care too much for what they look like and they're largely one-dimensional characters, Pokemon protagonists so I'll just stick to my rl gender. =p

February 7th, 2011, 5:48 PM
I have to play as the female protagonist! Easily the best new female protagonist since Leaf. :D I'm sure after 243432 plays of the female I'll then move on to the male. Fortunately I have a feeling these games won't turn into HG/SS where I was forced to play as the male due to the female character's sprite annoying me to death. :(

Anyways! The female sprite is just so adorable and captures a more mature looking female player perfectly! :D

February 7th, 2011, 6:28 PM
I'll be White.... I'm a girl so ... ya know that's what i'll play... but I don't really like either of the protagonists -w-"

February 7th, 2011, 6:35 PM
female because i always play girls unless the guy is super sexy. theres a lot of good art of her as well

February 7th, 2011, 7:13 PM
I'll be choosing the Female. :)
IMO, the male's clothing are pretty sloppy looking. :\

February 8th, 2011, 2:54 AM
I am going to play as the boy! He is really cool! I am choosing him because I am a boy and I am naming him Travis, because that is my name.

February 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I'll play the guy. Black was it? White's hair is just too freaky and i love Black's design.

February 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Male, because I am one, and that's pretty much my reason.

February 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
All visual appearances aside, for obvious reasons I'll be playing as the male role - I don't know his name either. XD;

It took me awhile to grow fond of the male character's design though. He looked so generic at first, and his sprite (still getting used to that) was still poor for me. The female protagonist definitely got the better looks this generation.

Maybe one day when I get bored, and decide on starting over on White, I'll play as the female for the fun of it.

Get Weird
February 8th, 2011, 1:56 PM
I refuse to use the names they were given, they are simply Black & White to me <:

I played as Black during my first run-through now I'm playing as White again <:

My English play through I'll be playing as White to :3

February 9th, 2011, 8:33 AM
Gonna be the female protagonist cuz, it looks better than DP.

February 9th, 2011, 9:41 AM
Playing as the girl for both. I almost always play as the girl because...well, I am a girl. (: I might play through one of them as the guy when I start restarting the game so I can play challenges and stuff, though, just for kicks.

February 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'm gonna use the guy in Black, and the girl in White.

February 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I'll be playing as the guy because I an one even though I prefer the girl's design. The guy is wearing a hoodie though and I think that's awesome.

February 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I love both Protagonists for this Generation.

Went the guy in Japanese game
going the girl in English White :)

February 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I like the Male Protagonist a lot, so I'm playing as him. But when I get White, I'll play as the Female.

February 9th, 2011, 1:34 PM
Since I'm a girl in real life I will play as a girl in Pokémon. But this new girl character is so... not me at all haha. Those shorts and that huge brown hair...

February 9th, 2011, 1:45 PM
On Pokemon Black I'm choosing the guy hero. In Pokemon White I'm going to choose the girl heroine. I honestly don't care for the designs much, but I have a gender for each game.

February 9th, 2011, 3:01 PM
I'll probably pick the girl. I like how she's not pigeontoed, unlike practically every female in the games.

February 10th, 2011, 2:24 PM
So yeah, even though im a boy I'll go the Female.

February 12th, 2011, 1:55 PM
I took girl character in White and I'm going to take guy in Black, lol.

February 12th, 2011, 2:00 PM
I usually play as the male because the girl hasn't had a good sprite since R/S. But now I'll probably get both and play as both.

March 6th, 2011, 9:41 AM
Well I picked the male protagonist in both versions for obvious reasons if I say so myself, that obvious reason being I'm a male myself. xD

Noah Ridgewood
March 6th, 2011, 9:56 AM
I've always played as the male protagonist in Pokémon games. This generation is no different.

March 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Obviously playing as Touko. Maybe in my second run, I'll play as the guy protagonist (I keep forgetting his name). But I might end up playing as Touko more since I really love her.

Iron Mankey
March 9th, 2011, 8:00 PM
I've used the girl characters ever since Gen 3, simply because the guys look like total douchebags.

Sarcastic Prince
March 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'll play the guy. Black was it? White's hair is just too freaky and i love Black's design.

The guy is Hilbert and the girl is Hilda.
Those are the official names that Game Freak gave them.

I chose the girl because I don't like playing as a guy.
I named her Hilda, the official name that Game Freak gave her.

Matt 24
March 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm a male, I picked the male. Makes sense, eh? :)

March 10th, 2011, 10:46 AM
so far in my games i always use the female character tho in my english copy of black i might play as the male just because i like his design but probably not

March 10th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I chose to play as the male every time. Nothing against the female player character, but the male player character is quite possibly my favorite design out of all the player characters across the generations. So I pick him every time because I like the design. And now I also pick him every time because I can't picture playing the game as anyone else.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
March 11th, 2011, 3:58 AM
I am Touko so obviously I'm gonna choose her! XD

March 11th, 2011, 4:05 AM
i like the chick, so she wins.

her hair probably adds a foot to her height...

March 16th, 2011, 4:12 AM
I am playing as a boy because I am a boy.

Sweet Visions
March 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I am playing as the girl because, you know, that ass.

March 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I'm playing as Hilda THE FEMALE PROTAGONIST. >__> I can't stand the default names in this generation as I've stated multiple times, but I love her design. :D Plus, I am a girl and it just feels awkward for me to play as a dude, so... yeah.

March 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I always play as my gender, as I find doing otherwise to be rather off-putting...
But I definitely love the girl character this time around. Its refreshing to have a female trainer that doesn't dress like a puritan from the 17th century ;)

March 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
GUY! Why? Because I'm a guy! I used to play as the girl in Crystal though... Funny...

March 16th, 2011, 1:47 PM
I dislike the male's appearance, so I play as Touko (No, I will always refuse to acknowledge her English name.). I mean, seriously, they seem never to get the male right. What's up with that?

March 16th, 2011, 2:05 PM
I chose the male. :3 Reason being is because I wanted to name him after a character from YGO GX.

March 16th, 2011, 2:05 PM
I always play as the Female. :)

March 16th, 2011, 2:10 PM
I'm going to play as both. I like to be mysterious. (Even though I'm a girl.)
I don't like the protagonists English names, so I'll name myself... Akari (or Mistuki) in White. And Kohaku in Black.

The Noob Hacker
March 16th, 2011, 3:12 PM
I chose the girl in my Black version. The reason why is because where the girl looks different and separates herself from the rest of the female protagonists, the boy just looks rather basic and not unlike from any other male protagonist.

March 16th, 2011, 3:13 PM
Choice between Miley Cyrus and Ashton Kutcher... I chose Ashton

March 16th, 2011, 3:26 PM
I picked the girl because I think she is cuter than most protagonists in the series! ;)

March 16th, 2011, 3:37 PM
I would have been the girl but i chose the boy for some reason idk Terra

March 16th, 2011, 3:48 PM
Girl, because I am a girl and the one for B&W actually looks like she can stand on her two feet.

Unknown Entity
March 16th, 2011, 4:08 PM
I chose the Male, because I'm a guy and have ALWAYS played as the Male character, don't think I've ever played as the Female character.

March 18th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I play as the male, mostly because I am also a male myself.

I've never felt an urge to use the female characters, and in B/W I feel no different.

March 19th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'm getting Pokemon Black and I am playing as a girl because I am a GIRL.

BlooMilk C.
March 21st, 2011, 4:49 PM
I'll be playing as the male protagonist. I usually choose the male protagonist becuase I am male, but in Emerald I liked the female protagonist better, so I chose her, plus my friend borrowed my game and restarted it to make me female >:C

I don't like Touya/Black's pants, by the way. I do not like the color, and they're tight like Cheren's :3

March 21st, 2011, 4:58 PM
I chose the male protagonist.

Sorry, but there are a lot of better things to *cough* to than a video game character.

March 21st, 2011, 5:04 PM
I like the Male character's color scheme. So I choose him.

March 26th, 2011, 7:58 AM
I play as the male protagonist Hilbert in both Pokémon Black & White never thought of having a run through with the the female, Hilda.

March 26th, 2011, 9:59 PM
I have both versions and am playing as both protagonists. On my main game, I play as the boy.

March 27th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I was originally going to play as the girl, but the influence of a certain webcomic led me to choose the male character. :3

March 28th, 2011, 1:22 AM
I play as the boy because that is what I am. I always play as the boy.

Red Scizor
March 28th, 2011, 4:02 AM

Because I prefer blue themed menus over pink ones.

Joey's Rattata
April 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Female. Her overworld sprite is much better than Lyra's. Lyra's overalls looked awkward. White, however, has an amazing design. I like everything about her~ <3

April 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I am playing as the female protagonist. I love the way she looks. She is so cute!

April 4th, 2011, 7:00 PM
I almost never learn their names but both times I played, I played as the girl. I don't see them as different characters at all since nothing changes depending on the one you pick, but the guy's design is just... too generic? He's really boring, imo. Not bad or anything, but nothing special either. I loved the girl from the moment I saw her though so I'm happy to have her sprite representing me on the screen and having awkward ferris wheel rides in my place. :D

Azure Revolver
April 4th, 2011, 7:22 PM
I picked the guy on my first playthrough. I restarted halfway through because I hate him. Chose Touko. Best Female Protagonist ever. Dunno why.

April 4th, 2011, 8:55 PM
I usually play a the main game for each pokemon game at least twice, and I play as the male in one playthrough, and then female the next playthrough.

April 5th, 2011, 5:48 AM
I always play as the girl, because that's what I am. I haven't played a boy since Gold and Silver, back when there wasn't an option. XD

In general, the girls' designs are better than the boys', at least in my opinion. It took me a few minutes to even remember what the DPPt guy looked like, whereas everyone remembers Dawn. I loved the way my player looked in Fourth Gen, and I love the way she looks in Fifth Gen. ^_^

April 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I like the dude. The dude in pkmn Sinnoh looked gay, as did the one in hoenn. Basically, so far the dudes have sucked image wise, while the girls are awesome. I don't really like White, but I LOVE Dawn. The dude looks awesome in BW

April 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I always play as the guy just because I am a guy

April 9th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Choice between Miley Cyrus and Ashton Kutcher... I chose Ashton

Since when does Hilda (Touko) resemble Miley Cyrus and Hilbert (Touya) resemble Ashton Kutcher? Weird...

April 9th, 2011, 2:40 AM
I chose the male protagonist. I mostly choose the boy, I only chose the girl a) when I was playing crystal and b) when I was playing diamond because I didn't like the nerdy look of Lucas.

April 9th, 2011, 2:58 AM
I don't have to choose because I usually play the games several times so that I get to try each gender out at least once. In HG/SS and DPPt I think I chose the male character more often because the girl designs were not exactly my favourites (the HG/SS girl could lose that stupid hat, really).
The BW designs I think are equally cool so I've used them in a more balanced manner.

April 15th, 2011, 1:08 PM
I have played both Pokémon Black and Pokémon White as Hilbert the male protagonist as I always do.
I think I tried Hilda, the female and reset after leaving Nuvema Town.

April 15th, 2011, 1:36 PM
Well I'm always the guy, so i'll be Black :)

April 15th, 2011, 1:52 PM
I played as White/Touko/Hilda because well I am a girl so I'm going to play as the girl character but as much as I like her design I wish they would stop with the pink on the characters. I'm a girl and personally I like the colour blue better but I suppose its just a sprite.