PDA

View Full Version : FireRed and LeafGreen, satisfactory?

Guy
February 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM
FireRed and LeafGreen left a lot of mixed reviews from players. For those who cherished the original Red, Blue, and Green probably felt that playing through FRLG was like reliving their golden days when they first got into the gaming franchise, but this time with a whole better visualization. At the same time, there were those who were fans of the original games, but thought FRLG was too much like the original versions and believed the newly released remakes weren't satisfactory to say the least.

How did you feel when you first played through FRLG compared to playing RBGY? Did you feel more should have been done with it? If not, were you fully satisfied with FRLG as a remake? If you could change one thing with the game, what would that be?

Jak
February 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Probably my least favorite games in the main series. At the time they were released and all, I thought they were fine and did good sticking to the original story. As time went on and I played RBY more and more again, I started to enjoy them more and more. Preferring the original music, the original TMs, the sprites...um THE MUSIC. Then when stuff was being leaked about HGSS, I read and thought "wow, there's a lot of changes." At that point, I started to realize that FRLG were just...remakes without their own flair, except for the Sevii Islands. But when you compare just the Islands to all that HGSS offered that was different from its original game, it made a bold statement, and still, in my opinion, retained that charm from the original. FRLG was just a revamped RG with hardly anything on its own.

Hope this makes sense. ...Did I mention I hate the FRLG music?

bobandbill
February 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I agree with most of the above - I didn't hate the music, but certainly it was not as likeable as other games in the series for me overall. I also thought that FR/LG were much weaker remakes than HGSS - much less to do. The Sevii Islands were pretty uneventful and just felt like they were tacked on for all events and purposes, as well at that 'Battle Tower' it had as well, which was a rather lame challenge IMHO.

Overall I did like the game but it is probably my least liked game in the main handhelds for all intents and purposes.

The Sly Fox
February 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I thought they were both boring, especially those Sevii Islands. That was just a pain to do just for trading with other generations :/

Calamity
February 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I personally liked these games, due to the fact it was my first 'proper' playthrough of Kanto, the 1st 3 sevii islands were a nice feature but I felt the others were uneeded to unlock trading to RSE -_-

Azure
February 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think FR/LG was very impressive and are, so far my least favourite games, the originals we're much better, because atleast HG/SS are intresting, and have alot of features and a long storyline ect.
FR/LG were fun to play at the time, but I guess the spark has just flickered out. I think HG/SS will be popular for a good while, aswell as B/W. Just wonder what a R/S remake will be like.

Nintendork15
February 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Well , really as much reference there was to johto i was kinda confused
you find out by celio that Johto has been discovered and is real at this time
put there is no evidence that kanto and johto are connected for travelling
even if it was a inaccessible exit with a police gaurd guy saying you cant reach johto
at the moment there is contrusction going i wouldnt of been bothered :D

sab
February 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I'm satisfied with them. I do think they should have done a little more with small things like growing berry plants, and secret bases and such. If I could change one thing it would be to add either of those things since I can't choose both. I also have to say that I'm glad that they only added things instead of changing existing things. The one exception I can think of is moltres, and I think they should have left him where he was in the originals.

GlitchCity
February 8th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Well I didnt get a chance to play any of the 1st generation games until after I completed leafgreen and sapphire. But I absolutley loved Leafgreen. The music was awesome.
Trainer Battle 10/10
Route 2 10/10 <3
Route 11 2000/10 (best version out of the 4 generations)
and of course, the epic, and I mean EPIC Champion theme 10000/10
But Im a 3rd generation nuthead so I think everything is awesome 8D

TrilbyMenetti
February 9th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I loved them at first, but I dislike how the game automatically assumed you didn't know what to do and the non-evolving of Golbat, Chansey, etc sucked until you had the National Dex really was a backwards idea. Oh and the Sevii subplot was irritating, despite how useful One Island is for training purposes. HG/SS were definitely much better in remake terms.

Nevertheless, the graphics looked nice and smoother than R/S/E

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
February 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Leaf Green is probably my second favorite game behind Platinum. A big part of it is the games featured the most attractive female playable character to date, and this triggered an obsession that continues today.

Other than that, I thought they were okay. As remakes, they were about as good as HG/SS. They didn't have as many innovations as HG/SS, but then again they didn't mess up as much as HG/SS did either (like the lack of Vs Seeker and being unable to delete phone numbers).

The introduction of the Vs Seeker was one of my favorite gameplay elements. The Sevii Islands felt tacked on, and restricting new 3rd generation Pokemon was a bit frustrating, but nothing that really detracted from my enjoyment of the game. And overall, the music remixes were better in FR/LG and of course I got to revisit all of my favorite characters from the past... Lt. Surge, Giovanni, Blaine, Lorelei...

And as I said I really enjoyed playing through the game with my character being a complete cutie :) That factor alone is a big part of FR/LG's appeal for me.

Perrie ✿
February 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I actually enjoyed the remakes, they were fun and brought back memories 8D

I still enjoy playing them today just to give me a bit of Nostalgia.

Being the first Pokemon remakes they did pretty good, but compared to Remakes we have today they can't match up, I'm hoping for a Red & Green Re-vamp in the future :'3

My favorite element of the game was well, being back in kanto and doing the Kanto storyline without Johto lingering over you <:

GSCyndaquil19
February 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Well when I was like 6 and had Blue Version, I was too impatient to ever train more than my starter, and as a result, never beat the Pkmn League. By the time I got LG, I was a little older, like 4th grade I think, and I actually knew how to play a Pokemon game so I got more out of it, but some things in FRLG just annoy me.

PlatinumDude
February 13th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I didn't want to get FR/LG at first, but after realizing I never played the Kanto games, I decided to play them, and they turned out better than I expected.

Haowakeorden
February 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Playing FireRed was definitely a step up from playing R/B. We now had natures, abilities, new moves, and everything. The differences in Pokémon availability did cause minor problems at times, but I think the Sevii Islands portion was pretty good.

Unfortunately, since the first Generation III game I every played was Emerald, on the whole I didn't think much of R/S/FR/LG.

Mainkai
February 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
The one thing that I thought FRLG lacked was some of the add-ons that came after RBY. For example, the berries were simply not easy enough to get ahold of (to each his own, but I for one love berries), and there were no options for a secret base. I think that the secret base function was one of the most interesting parts of RSE and I would have loved to see that implemented into the remakes. I understand that there might have been impossible to have a secret base connectivity between FRLG and RSE, but still. Also, if they did not want to ruin the original Kanto layout, they could have had secret bases as a Sevii Islands exclusive.

Despite these flaws, I adore all of the GBA games. I still play them (and Colosseum) a lot more often than the fourth generation titles.

hazard master
February 13th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I actually didn't figure out that they were remakes till after I beat them XD. Now though I think they're better than ruby and sapphire by a lot. I think they really should've added more "foreign" pokemon to the Sevii islands though.

Nameless.
February 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
To be.. totally honest.. I forget often that FRLG are even existent. :x
They really don't have any redeeming value, and they aren't much of anything to the Pokemon franchise. It was just a pure do-over for RGBY and not a very good one either. Everything felt really stiff for some reason.. the sprites for everything felt so lifeless. Even the split second of animation the Pokemon were given felt stiff and almost forced. It really lacks a great deal of effort in the visual department. I don't say this often about video games, but it makes it really hard to play the games. It's like GF was trying way too hard to put a new style into the Pokemon games -- like taking RSE's style and skewing it to be less... energetic.

I know visuals aren't everything, but RGBY and FRLG's storylines are the same. You can't really comment on it. ]:

The music is poop too. I would rather be listening to the 8-bit wonder of RGBY over this "try-too-hard-to-be-good" crap. I'm being honest, no nostalgia glasses on, I don't like it a bit. I wish they would have waited to make FRLG. Maybe then they would have gotten more practice during the transition from GSC to RSE, and could have done overall better remakes. I dunno what they were going for in their style, but I do know one thing.. I prefer the originals over the remakes.

Sad that "remakes" don't even have anything further to comment on. There should be so much more to these games.
FRLG can burn as far as I'm concerned. >>

Ctrl.Alt.Geak
February 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM
My only motivation to keep playing FR/LG was the sevii islands to be honest. I much prefer the originals; Red and Blue (Yellow was good too). Maybe if they added a GB Player I would have felt more motivated to play. I shouldnt complain too much, they're still decent games, I just prefer the originals.

Weavile05
February 26th, 2011, 07:34 AM
One thing that ticks alot of people off about these games are a lack of any sort of Clock System. You don't have to worry about your Battery anymore, and that was a good thing. But thinking about it now, I think the removal of the clock system was just them trying to make them more and more like the original RBY (because it had no clock system either). To be honest, I don't think the music was that bad, and the clock thing doesn't matter too much to me because I have Sapphire anyway, although it does kinda suck that you can't trade with other generations before you get the National Dex and do the Sevii Islands sidequest.

Saryka
February 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM
When FRLG first came out, I really liked it. I never really played the originals (well, I have, but never all the way through - I wasn't allowed a Game Boy when I was younger and by the time I was allowed to play video games, RBY were outdated), so to me, they were my way of enjoying the Kanto Pokémon games. Eventually, though, I was able to play an original game and I liked it more than the remakes.

I agree that there was nothing too special about FRLG that sets it apart from the originals the way HGSS did with GSC. It was just a bare remake of the originals, not an enhanced one. And some of the enhancements they did do were... okay. The Sevii Islands portion of it especially; it felt just tacked on to the end. I found it boring tbh.

The music was okay. I didn't hate it but I didn't enjoy it, either.

Overall, I thought the remakes were just okay. Nothing too special but not the worst remake ever. Just okay. :/

レイジングブラスト
February 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I liked them the first time I played through them. After that it got way too boring for me to play any longer. With all the improvements of the GBA from the GB/C they could have done way better than what FR/LG was. To put it bluntly, these two games were just plain awful and I'd much rather just grab my good 'ol copy of Blue and play through that rather than play either one of these. The Sevi Islands weren't even that great now that I think about it. They should've stuck some gyms(like the orange islands) there or something rather than just going out there to catch a few pathetic Pokemon like Sentret.

Cassino
March 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Satisfactory? Yes. Good? No.

It's "the same but better", relative to RBGY, but unfortunately far less feature-laden than RSE and even GSC.
I actually prefer how the original games look and feel, anyways.

General Bravo
March 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Well, seeing as a lot of people are going at the music, I'll start out by saying that I personally liked it.
I was upset that we got the Sevii Islands instead of the Orange Islands. I mean, sure, we got a little more Team Rocket fighting, but I'll take 4 more badges any day.
Yes, FRLG did not have as many new features as HGSS, but keep in mind this was still the GBA era. There might not have been the capacity on the cartridges to add a comparable amount of content to the games.
And the #1 reason I prefer FRLG over the original, no annoyingly small limit on items. Sure, that's great for a challenge run, but not for the entire game.
Bottom line: good games. Could've been better, but still good.

gregory_turner420
March 3rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
the games were very lackluster. the only thing that made me get them was the sevii islands, which i ended up hating. now all i do is run through the game doing challenge runs.

on the other hand the enhanced graphics and sound was kinda nice

Binary
March 3rd, 2011, 06:28 AM
FR/LG was pretty satisfactory for me. I hadn't really played R/B/Y before at the time, and it was a pretty awesome journey for me through the towns and cities of Kanto. Honestly, I enjoyed most or perhaps even all of the things that FR/LG provided to a good extent. And the sevii islands, in my opinion.. were a nice addition. If I had played R/B/Y before, I don't know. There might've been a slight influence on my perception of FR/LG. But I hadn't, so yeah. I can't really think of anything I'd change. So overall, it was pretty satisfactory.

Forever
March 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I've been playing LG for about 8 or so hours today due to Syd's challenge. I nearly fell asleep playing it like 10 times. Why? Well, battle scenes load slow, music is boring, don't really like the sprite of the running character and well... there's nothing exciting there. At. All. Except maybe the ship, but meeeh. I actually found playing LG more boring than my most hated game (Pearl). Idk, I never liked it that much from the start. Plus, original (and even Johto games Kanto) was muuuuuuch more exciting, because due to lack of graphics quality, there was a lot more mystery to the region (imo). Safari Zone especially. :x

I'm honestly dreading continuing to play through. Oh well! :(

Miss Doronjo
March 4th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Well it wasn't the BEST pokemon game for me; but, it was alright; the music was pretty cool in my opinion, like the remix of the Champion theme was cool, but yeah; I honestly expected more, like the Sevii Islands, instead of the Orange Islands, which, the Orange Islands would of been pretty cool if they made them! Since at the original Pokemon Blue / Yellow / Red I was kind of hoping they put it in there after I beat the pokemon leauge or something. ^^; And other all...the Sevii Isnds weren't VERY exciting to be in really...except for the battle tower; which was pretty easy. :/

Well overall, its an okay pokemon game; I wouldn't mind playing it again.

Lambda
March 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
i really quite enjoyed firered the sevil island were amazing best part of the game

Imperator161
March 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I really enjoyed FR/LG. I suppose part of it was that they brought back many of my favorite Pokemon, which weren't present in RSE, but I also loved getting to play through Kanto again for the first time in years. While it might have been nice to have more add-ons, I liked how the games stuck with the original plotline and map.

I took a very different approach to LG than I did in Red, catching everything I could find and training every single Pokemon I owned perfectly evenly as I went along rather than essentially doing a Blastoise solo run, and that made the remakes seem fresh. While I still haven't gotten around to beating LG yet, sadly (I have several boxes full of level 52 or 53 Pokemon and have seven badges or something), I've really enjoyed the different playing experience this time around.

Mazemeout
March 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I thought FR/LG were great.

I'm doing another playthrough of LG right now and am enjoying it.

Ethan718
March 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I was definitely satisfied by FireRed... if I remember correctly this was the first opportunity to get 2nd gen Pokemon in the advanced games? That was cool.

solarowl
March 11th, 2011, 11:26 PM
LeafGreen was my first Pokemon game. :D
It was very entertaining, especially with the sevii islands as a great addition as well.

Pika-power
March 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I felt like gamefreak should have added more onto the games besides the sevii islands.

Giratina ♀
March 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM
FireRed was my first Pokémon game. Har har. Though I have played the original version of Red as well, and even though my situation is reversed -- FireRed gives me nostalgia points, Red doesn't -- I still think they're both legitimately good games. They're similar, yes, but there's remakes for you. ...If this holds any relevance, I actually didn't enjoy HG/SS all that much. So yeah.

Cadance
March 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Personally, I like RBY better than FRLG. The Sevii Islands on FRLG were too late and they should have been added in the earlier games. The only good thing about FRLG is that you were able to catch second generation Pokemon at the end of the game.

Maelstromk
March 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I acually really enjoyed FireRed and LeafGreen, It's the game I've put in the most hours on (out of the new gens) I also think it did a better job then HeartGold/SoulSilver at bringing the game to audience with adding all the new features that Gen II and III brought to the table, without losing it's classic Red and Blue feel. I loved the Sevii Islands, I just wish it would of been a bit more expansive, and be called the Orange Islands like it should of been. For some reason I really liked the Fame Checker item, and was very dissapointed when it didn't make a return (for such a small item anyways)

Blaze The Hedgehog
March 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Overall I though it was pretty good. Brought back the nostalgic value in the form of refreshed visuals, and also souped it up for first time players. I hoped that they could have done more with the Sevii islands but otherwise it was a satisfactory addition to the series.

Dark Piplup
March 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I think it was great as a remake. Though it is nice to have just Kanto Pokes. But better graphics really made it shine!

Pidgeotto
March 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Well when you compare them to HG/SS and W/B then they come up short feature wise, but as straight up remakes, I love them.

SV
March 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
No Pokemon game was terrible, but this one wasn't my favorite either. I'd say it lacked something, but I really don't know what that something is.

Big-Davey
March 28th, 2011, 04:17 AM
It was decent, but not particularly brilliant.

The only great things about it were the music in some areas (particularly the Champion battle music!) and a few other things like being able to see how much more EXP you needed to level up without having to go into the profiles (like you had to back in R/B/G/Y)

Daikenki
March 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I never got the chance to play FR or LG when they first came out due to us being poor and my brother and I already had Ruby and Sapphire. But recently I tried to do a nuzlocke run on a rom of FR and I think I can give my opinion on how much I liked/disliked it.

I liked that I was able to play a girl. The graphics were indeed a very nice stepup from the original days, they stayed true to what made me love pokemon in the beginning, and they added some after game features so I wouldn't get bored too easily.

However, I felt like the game was being rushed. I don't know why, but all of third gen games felt rush. I also disliked the sprites because they looked chunky and blurry. The music was too slow, but it wasn't annoying. I just wish the GBA had better sound mechanics. Maybe it would have made it a nicer experience for others?

And that's really all I had to say about it. The originals and the remakes are the same in my mind, besides one having enhanced graphics than the other. The game didn't give me a jolt of nostalgia though, HG kinda stole that one.

BenjiTheKid
March 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I liked them. I didn't think they were better than R/B/Y, but I didn't expect to since R/B/Y fill me with a lot of nostalgia. None of the Pokemon games will ever be better than the first in my eyes. Nevertheless, FR/LG didn't disappoint me. The only complaint I have about the games is the lack of long term enjoyment. Once I beat the Pokemon League, that was it. Granted, it was the same for R/B/Y... but since FR/LG were part of the advance generation... idk, I just expected more. The Sevii islands were a great idea and all, but they were really boring. Someone mentioned the Orange islands... that would have been a nice addition instead of Sevii. I've always wanted to see the Orange Islands in a game... FR/LG was the perfect opportunity and instead we got boring Sevii islands.

LatiasSoulDew
March 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM
I like FRLG, but not too satisfied. I would like to add Johto and Hoenn after sevii island, and the last efflux with rival (really hard one).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
March 31st, 2011, 09:27 PM
I didn't like them as much as HgSs and thought they could have added a whole lot more to FrLg if they did (maybe they can remake it again in gen 5...)...

Anti
April 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I've played both FR and LG a lot. I'm a little surprised they're getting panned a lot, but then again, my main hobby is raising powerhouse Pokémon and the last few Sevii Islands are much better than anything RSE offers for training. As someone who played Pokemon Blue before these came out, it was definitely a step up. Of course, my first Pokemon game was Ruby so I naturally preferred a more visually appealing game, and there was no nostalgia factor with me.

That being said, they are definitely inferior games. Once I got Emerald and really started striving for Pokedex completion and crushing the Frontier, it became more apparent how much deeper Emerald is, to stick to the same generation. Even Ruby and Sapphire are deeper...the storyline is more compelling and everything was just a little bit more fresh. FR/LG didn't even have a traditional Battle Tower, which probably made them boring for people who don't like training a Tyranitar to level 90 just for the heck of it.

I have never played HS/SS so I can't compare =(. I will say though, I really fell in love with the last four Sevii Islands because of their music. It was instantly familiar (even though this was not a conscious realization) and very catchy. As it turned out, I recognized them from Gold and Silver since they are remixes, and then the nostalgia really did set in! I have listened to HG/SS remixes and I must say that I wasn't particularly impressed, so at least there was that one bright spot. Pokemon Gold was a game I played and loved a lot, and those remixes (imo) did them justice.

But yeah, they're inferior games. They're still not boring though. Even though I mostly exploit them for TMs and such nowadays, they're still nice. Also, thank the lord for the Vs. Seeker...Trainers' Eyes and Match Call are painfully bad.

Antebellum
April 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
LeafGreen, to me, has always been that game that I play through, when bored, using a different team of Pokemon, each time. HeartGold had easily replaced LeafGreen in that regard. While I could type a whole paragraph on how and why FRLG is outclassed by HGSS, that's not the topic of this thread. The soundtrack is average at best, the best tracks being saved for the Gym Leaders and Champion, other than those there aren't any other great themes that stand out from the rest. The graphics are a huge improvement from R/B's (obv), in the regard that they give each city a unique "feel". The post-game quests are horribly drab and nowhere near as exciting as visiting Kanto, the Battle Frontier, or the eastern portion of Unova. The part that really killed FRLG for me, goes back to using varied teams, each playthrough. I really didn't like how we were denied access to Pokemon like Kingdra and Crobat, until we beat the Pokemon League. I even own a "FireRed and LeafGreen Handbook", which includes the Johto evolutions and pre-evolutions of the Original 151, quite the means of trick kids, eh? HGSS did a much better job at embracing the Sinnoh evolutions of their Pokemon, going so far as to adding them to the regional dex. The best part of FRLG would have to be how ridiculously easy it is to grind, all you have to do is fire up your Vs. Seeker and go fight the Lv. 40 Machokes on Kindle Road. All in all, FRLG was satisfactory, but it was also outclassed by games, such as HGSS.

ZetaLegacies
April 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I used to really like leaf green, but after playing blue it wasn't the same.

Eпvy
April 4th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I am not bothered by how similar to the original versions they are. I can't stand to play R/B/Y these days because my GBA SP broke and I no longer have any way of playing them with a lit screen, which is... a huge pain. I could tolerate it 12 years ago, but now it's too much for me. lol

However, I certainly did prefer the music of the original. I don't particularly think that the remixes are bad. I loved the G/S/C remixes they did for the Sevii Islands actually.

SonGohan
April 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I got Fire Red a few weeks after it came out and I consider it a bigger waste of my money than Pearl was. The game was just flat out boring and I could barely play it for half an hour without falling asleep. I think the game had way more potential than what they put into it. I give them credit for making a way better version of Kanto in HG/SS but that's a remake of my two favorite games of all time rather than red and blue.

Fire Walker
April 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I loved FireRed. It is one of my favorite games - IMO, better than D/P/Pt. I feel like they did just the right amount with it, like the E4 Rematch and the Sevii Islands. One thing to change... include some R/S/E Pokémon, perhaps more legendaries, etc. More rival battles, too.

cbd98
April 9th, 2011, 02:26 PM
well, i played FR first, then i played yellow. And i liked YELLOW more. It was before pokemon was a bunch of numbers. and i love the originals.

Echidna
April 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM
i felt quite excited. It was great to play them, because theywere the first remakes, and came as a surprise to me !!

ausnick
April 25th, 2011, 02:03 AM
As an old-timer poke-fan (I watched the the first aired epi of season 1 pokemon in australia, lol) I have to say I LOVE FR/LG as it's let me relive that part of my youth when I was a poke-addict. It's a really good remake in my opinion (and spares my eyes the pain of ancient R/B graphics) as it largely stays true to the nature of R/B; which yes is a little basic but that's the way it's meant to be.

2Cool4Mewtwo
April 25th, 2011, 07:08 AM
As an old-timer poke-fan (I watched the the first aired epi of season 1 pokemon in australia, lol) I have to say I LOVE FR/LG as it's let me relive that part of my youth when I was a poke-addict. It's a really good remake in my opinion (and spares my eyes the pain of ancient R/B graphics) as it largely stays true to the nature of R/B; which yes is a little basic but that's the way it's meant to be.
This. (except the growing up in australia part)

Pika-power
May 9th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Well, I'm 12 so I never got Red, Blue or Yellow, so fire red was great to me.

SuperSaiyanII
May 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I wasn't too happy with them because they just seemed way too slow paced for me. I didn't get Fire Red until after I got Emerald in 2005 and Fire Red just couldn't compete with Emerald's music,animated sprites,in-field graphics and storyline.

wonjoon0330
May 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I was fully satisfied with FR/LG, same goes for HG/SS.

I doubt GameFreak would remake 3rd gen games, but if they do, I know I'll be satisfied with it too! ^^

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
May 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I'm the same as SuperSaiyanII, I got Emerald first before I got my copy of Leaf Green. I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed Emerald way more, however, if you don't compare the games, I find Leaf Green to be perfectly satisfactory in its own right, and a really enjoyable remake, for example, the inclusion of the Sevii Islands this time around.

bcrobert
May 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
The few changes that were made between FR/LG and the original games were actually really annoying. The constant barrage of tutorials and reminders in the game was just horrible. I didn't want plot changes, but they could have at least had some 2nd and 3rd generation appear in the wild THROUGHOUT the game instead of only in the post-game.

If I'm gonna have access to only one generation for most of the game, I'll stick to the games that came before the gimmicky "natures." Catch the level 70 Mewtwo, nature sucks, reset, repeat indefinitely. No thanks.

TheGr8
May 21st, 2011, 05:56 AM
I'm going to say nothing beats the classics. I mean it was great to relive R/B/Y in FR/LG but as many people said the game was just meh compared to well HG/SS or even the original experience which may be a personal thing. I did play it out, and I had a lot of pokemon to pal park which was prob the greatest usage for LG/FR

Seeds Horizon
May 23rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Fr/Lg was a bit..Blegh. Of course, when you compare it to Hg/Ss, it seems quite...Horrible. But I liked the graphic change, and I like looking at my Pokemon with better color. Personally, I dont give a Pikachus tail about the music, since I usually listen to other music while playing Pokemon (No, im not donwplaying the Pokemon franchises music, its actually quite good, im just not that into instrumental since I like to sing along D:). The way I see it, its like putting your toe into a pool to test and see if its cold or warm. Thats what GameFreak was doing, they were testing the water. They wanted to see the reviews of a remake of an old game, especially the first ones, the ones that were the vangaurd of the Pokemon franchise. They also wanted to see if it would work, if people would like the graphics change and if people who played the old ones would like remakes, and for new players as well.

Since they didnt know exactly what to do, they pretty much just took the old game and gave it better graphics.

But, when you compare HG/SS to Fr/Lg, of course you would hate on Fr/Lg and love HG/SS, because of the endgame being so much more...More. But hey, I like both, and if Fr/Lg kick started the remakes, then I wont be one to diss them XD.

AllentheGuitarist
May 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Loved it, I just wish that there were more to it like in Gold and Silver (getting 16 badges just feels like there's more in the game)

saraerose
June 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Since the eternal battery of Pokemon Red died since it was so old, I never really got to finish. I got up to the E4.

But it's kind of a half-and-half battle here. In FR/LG, I can play as my gender, the graphics are better, and some of the soundtracks sounded nice.

On the other hand, nothing can be more nostalgic then watching your rival's triange hair sweep side-to-side when he walks or the lavender town and lavender tower music.

..See a lot of people would ride on their bikes in lavender town but I actually liked it :3

elementalkeeper
June 8th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I find these games interesting but the sound is repetitive. It's like you hear it in every POKeMON game. The graphics are better than the RSE versions. Story is considerable. It would be nice to play it again cause there are new quests after beating the E4. Overall the game would be great except for the sound.

Flashmeteor
June 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I played Firered before I played the original Red. And I really enjoyed it. I never have beaten it though. xD

shenanigans
June 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM
In some ways, I guess. Perhaps it was the art or something but I wasn't very impressed with FRLG's general feel when I was playing it. It almost felt tacky or plasticy, if that's a word to describe it. It's a hard one to say really.

However, one thing I was hugely pleased with was the Sevii Islands. I think that just because of these, it has one of the best post-E4 storylines in the Pokémon franchise outside of HGSS and GSC.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
June 19th, 2011, 03:49 AM
How did you feel when you first played through FRLG compared to playing RBGY?
It felt amazing, better graphics and seeing the male and female sign on the Pokemon

Did you feel more should have been done with it?
It was great that they put the Sevii Islands onto the games, but I wish that they put a Battle Frontier in the games

If you could change one thing with the game, what would that be?
To Put a Battle Frontier in the game

:t354:TG

Amore
June 19th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I can agree with the above - Battle Frontier was definitely needed. However, I also think people who originally played Gen I games need to stop comparing them, and think of them as two completely different games, just with the same setting - happy memories are always going to override the beauty of the games, which is why I expect to end up hating any Hoenn remakes they produce. If you just appreciate them as two then-new games, rather than two remakes, they're pretty good.

Winter Wonderland
June 19th, 2011, 08:12 AM
To be honest, I really liked Leaf Green. ... I just never knew it was a remake of R/G/B until I beat the Elite Four and was like "Why does this feel so familiar?!"

OscuroSky
June 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I personally loved FR/LG, everything about it was great. Yeah Sure the Sevii Islands were a pain, but I really didn't mind it. The only thing I really hated about FR/LG is the fact you have to Catch 60 DIFFERENT Pokémon.

DiscoGlacier
June 28th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Seeing this thread reminded me of my initial reaction to Fire Red. When I first played, I was underwhelmed by the difficulty and the pacing of the game. The presentation also felt bland, and lacked the spice of Ruby and Sapphire. Its tendency to aggressively help the player (the LR buttons, the Teachy TV; etc.) didn't help, as part of the fun of the originals was learning how the game works. I almost gave up on it early like I did Emerald (which I thought would be an entirely new experience from Ruby/Sapphire; stupid advertising!).

Years later, it proved to be a decent time waster. Whenever I went on vacation or was working with my dad, I always loved playing this during periods of inactivity, such as in the car. Side by side, I prefer the quirks of the originals over the tweaks of the remakes; as good as FR was, it just doesn't have the personality as the one with constant critical hits and a lopsided typing balance.

DJClass
July 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
I personally liked these games, due to the fact it was my first 'proper' playthrough of Kanto, the 1st 3 sevii islands were a nice feature but I felt the others were uneeded to unlock trading to RSE -_-

Pretty much the same here. Remakes tend to give the newer players the chance to see what the older players saw, through fresh lenses.

Onyx_X
July 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
I like them...sort of. They really let me down, though. I was reminded of the sickening mystery dungeon series...and I dislike the BIG HEADS. Nintendo, seriously: stop.
Music wasn't great either, I'm agreeing to that. Should have made Johto accessible, rats to sevii.

ThePokeBoss
July 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM
i just didnt like it... its set back into the day, and i know its suppose to revive the 1st gen pokemon... but no, you shouldnt do that unless it was for a good reason.. i know that the metal versions were bad, and thats a reason to bring them back. but they get boring after awhile.. or at least thats what i think

moonlightning
July 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
I loved FR and LG because of their crisp clean graphics and they are great games to nuzlocke with the potential teams at the end being extremely varied. The whiff of nostalgia from them I get from them is a bonus and I'm happily replaying LG for about the 5th time. The in-game dialogue is pretty sweet.

"Hey, you're not wearing shorts!"

Also, that strange feeling when the gym trainer in Celadon Gym asks if you were peeking in here when you are the female character. :/

The 100 Mega Shock
July 29th, 2011, 01:58 PM
They were pretty cheaply made, probably because they were an experiement in this whole remake stuff.

The music was ho-hum rearrangements of the Gameboy music using the same instrument set as Ruby and Sapphire, and there was hardly any new real compositions - even the Sevii Isles uses recycled Gold and Silver compositions.

The graphics were probably the high point of the game compared to Ruby and Sapphire (that's not hard) and clearly show the artists knew their way around the GBA betterm but we can see that most of their time spent on making FR/LG's overworld with a new style and improved battle sprites for Kanto Pokémon, hence the general lack of graphical improvements to Emerald version.

The story is...there's no story, again. Hardly any effort was put in to bring the game up to the storytelling standards that they settled in to with Ruby and Sapphire aside from a short post-game area.

New game play features are few and far between aside from a comprehensive help system that should've been made standard in subsequent games.

Basically FR/LG proved that the idea could work, and HG/SS was what Game Freak could make when planning a remake on a much better budget and not dividing their team between two games as much (Emerald and FR/LG came out in the same year)

UltimaSilva
August 5th, 2011, 12:14 PM
FR/LG were satisfactory for me, probably because I didn't like the old games as much. I prefer the 3rd generation to any other generation today.

IAshKetchum
August 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM
FR/LG were okay, but not a patch at all on the original R/B/Y games. I liked how they added the islands onto the game as an extra, that was pretty awesome. This game was what kinda started pushing me out of playing pokémon a few years ago when it was released.. definately my least favourite pokémon game. :/

Megapang
August 6th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I think that overall, the remake could've been done alot better, like HG and SS. It didn't seem very exciting, that's all.

The Best there was
August 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Fire Red Leaf Green

My first thoughts when these games were released was great! I had good memories of Red & Blue, and these remakes did justice to the classics IMO.

Updated Pokedex (after Elite four are beaten)
The games were in colour! Which is also a step forward lol
Extra Islands
Sprites had a lot more effort put into them
Male & Female Pokemon
The only thing I would of liked is a little bit of an extra story line and thats because I didnt want the game to end!

Sire
August 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I liked how Kanto pokemon were now available, but the game was insanely hard, too hard.

Aeonz361
August 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I loved FireRed mainly because it was my first GBA Pokemon game, so it holds a special place in my Pokemon gaming heart!

psyanic
August 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
It was an okay remake. I loved how it took me quite a while to complete the story, mainly because I had failed to realize how to open the door in Ruin Valley.

I also liked the Elite Four and Gary/Blue in this one. They had the boost, and I was completely unprepared for it. And, I was unprepared for Gary/Blue's Tyranitar in the re-match, so I was completely swept until I got a Golduck for Surf.

And there was the major improvement in graphics compared to the other games.

The Best there was
August 7th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Also one thing I forgot was you get Running Shoes.

DualGaming
August 8th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I personally liked FRLG. For me it had just enough twitches and changes to it to still make it interesting.

Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
August 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Personally, I'd liked it a lot.

Of course it had barely any storyline besides "GET BADGES AND OMG TEAM ROCKET IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD AND THE SECRET TWIST IS THAT GIOVANNI IS THE EIGHTH GYM LEADERRRRRRRRRR~"

But the graphics left R/S/E in the the dust, and the Sevii islands added to the game somewhat.

An enjoyable game, and it's a great engine for hackers. If they added more unique features, it would've been dynamite.

Rio448
August 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I really enjoyed Fire Red and Leaf Green, they were great games in my opinion

Duskwire
September 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
FRLG are my favorite Pokemon games of all time. I staretd Pokemon with the first gen, and have kept it up ever since. I always go back to playing FRLG because the game is basically still the same, the graphics and such are better, and I have problems playing new games (I usually don't get too into them).

cazzler
September 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I didn't mind that they had original music, graphics and what not, I liked it since I got to travel through the Kanto region again, also the Sevii islands impressed me alot.

Khall
September 13th, 2011, 11:58 PM
FR/LG are just too boring for me. There's no real storyline, and I've played through R/B/Y so many times, it's just not fun anymore. The music is also a little annoying.

One thing I like about it? Getting my favorite Pokemon of all time as a starter (Bulbasaur).

AresTheAwesome
September 25th, 2011, 06:24 AM
FireRed and LeafGreen left a lot of mixed reviews from players. For those who cherished the original Red, Blue, and Green probably felt that playing through FRLG was like reliving their golden days when they first got into the gaming franchise, but this time with a whole better visualization. At the same time, there were those who were fans of the original games, but thought FRLG was too much like the original versions and believed the newly released remakes weren't satisfactory to say the least.

How did you feel when you first played through FRLG compared to playing RBGY? Did you feel more should have been done with it? If not, were you fully satisfied with FRLG as a remake? If you could change one thing with the game, what would that be?

Lol, dude, it was red blue and yellow. There was never a pokemon green version XD.
But leaf green posed as one of my favorites in the series. With the wide variety of good pokemon, plenty of legendaries, and a storyline long enough tho last for a good while. So i think everything about LG/FR is beast.

~Ares~

miju-kun
September 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM
The tiles, the sprites, the overworlds were great but the plot was just plain ol' 1st Gen. They should have added the day/night system or at least the time clock in R/S/E. Sevii Islands were nice though.

chella182
October 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I absolutely LOVE FireRed, I don't care what anyone says. It was nice to have the better graphics, since I replaying Blue recently and just couldn't get over how bad some of the sprites are! That, alone, made it worth it for me.

ohHeyVaporeon.
October 8th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Honestly, I really like Leaf Green. I missed the whole Kanto feel... So it was nice to go back through it, and to have another chance to go crazy with the Eevee Evolutions (which I oh-so love to do!). To some it wasn't... Great, but overall, I was very happy with what it offered. The Sevii Islands were interesting to me-- Not fantastic, but interesting.

PelipperMail
October 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM
In FR/LG, you start your adventure in Pallet Town. Subsequent towns are named after colours - Saffron, Pewter, Cerulean, etc.

In my mind FR and LG were nothing more than an improved pallet, and nothing else. Sure, there were the Sevii Island, but what did they really contribute to the game, other than a few simple things that could have been implemented into the mainland instead. Especially the daycare.

legendarypokemon
October 8th, 2011, 10:03 AM
There was never a pokemon green version XD.
^
Green was in Japan only, so i dont know where you got that from

Beaute
October 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I LOVED FR/LG !! FireRed was the 1st pokemon game I ever owned, so I cherished it greatly. I was satisfied with it....

echolocated
October 9th, 2011, 07:20 AM
FireRed, was, to me, nice actually. It was my first Pokemon game actually(i went kind of nuts when i finally played it, haha). The sprites looked great, better than R/S/E's, and the Sevii Islands were great because they had the Johto Pokemon there. But seriously, TWO daycares(Were there? I forgot.)? So yeah, it was a pretty cool game, but it could've gotten more features implemented then it would have bested Chuck Norris.

sherreamethyst
October 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I loved it! I got Pokemon Yellow as my first game when I was real little, and enjoyed it so much and played it to its fullest! Then when FR/LG came out, I was majorly happy that it was the same game almost but with lots of colors and realism. I loved it! I can't believe people are complaining that they didn't add anything new to it. I actually am glad they didn't, I just wanted it to be a revised version with better graphics.

The 100 Mega Shock
October 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
So you're happy you paid the same price for a game with substantially less depth and substance than Ruby and Sapphire.

KoolKat vs. Lucas
October 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Well when I was like 6 and had Blue Version, I was too impatient to ever train more than my starter, and as a result, never beat the Pkmn League. By the time I got LG, I was a little older, like 4th grade I think, and I actually knew how to play a Pokemon game so I got more out of it, but some things in FRLG just annoy me.

Same here. When I got Crystal, I only trained Cyndaquil so I ended up only beating the league once. My main enjoyment of the game was learning that you could be a blue boy character if you knew how. I restarted now and trained my pidgey and cyndaquil

AquaticWartortle
October 24th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen were my favorite games of all time! I liked the music & sprites a lot! The extension of the Sevii Islands was nice & it just continued the gameplay! :)

ben cousins
October 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
nope i hated it because they decided to add non kanto pokemon. having the original 151 would have been awesome huh but then again nintendo are bunghole's

Yoshikkko
October 25th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I didn't like it at all. I mean I played it and I got Deoxys throught he event and was really thrilled and all, but looking back on it, it really sucked. Especially since I played the first games when I was young, and those were just so much better. They were more of a challenge; in FR/LG EVERYTHING got explained. Like EVERY SINGLE TIHNG, and it was starting to get on my nerves. I can understand why they might have done that but still.

RichterSnipes
October 26th, 2011, 09:34 PM
The first time I played FireRed I really enjoyed the experience. It was a great refresher to go back to lands I was familiar with after feeling a little let down by the lack of original Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire. Needless to say I was able to breeze through the game since I knew everything ahead of it occurring. Since I started playing Pokémon right from the start, I'll always have a special attachment to Kanto.

After having much time pass by and playing through Heart Gold, though, I've realized that FR/LG were more of a letdown than I once thought. Very little was done to change the game besides the Sevii Islands (but those were supposed to be in RGBY in the first place, weren't they?), and even those were a bit underwhelming. Other small changes just annoyed me, like the holding-your-hand tone of the game (Help menus? Teachy TV? How condescending!).

I'm fine that not much was added to the gameplay aside from what R/S brought to the table; this was in the same generation, after all. And I actually have a soft spot for the music from it. This is my nostalgia kicking in, but I have trouble playing the game today having to listen to the remixed music. I could just mute the game and imagine the 8-bit tracks playing or just listen to my iPod, but that's just too much of a hassle with Pokémon.

One thing's for sure, though: the games provide a great foundation to create hacks from!

Sephirothxx
October 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I really enjoy R/B/Y but I also liked FRLG. I agree with you on the music not being as good, as well as it being a revamp w/out the... how should I put this..... NOSTALGIA. The added features were a good touch, and I enjoyed playing through the Sevii Islands. They really should have put in some kind of reward for catching all of the unown, though....

Probably my least favorite games in the main series. At the time they were released and all, I thought they were fine and did good sticking to the original story. As time went on and I played RBY more and more again, I started to enjoy them more and more. Preferring the original music, the original TMs, the sprites...um THE MUSIC. Then when stuff was being leaked about HGSS, I read and thought "wow, there's a lot of changes." At that point, I started to realize that FRLG were just...remakes without their own flair, except for the Sevii Islands. But when you compare just the Islands to all that HGSS offered that was different from its original game, it made a bold statement, and still, in my opinion, retained that charm from the original. FRLG was just a revamped RG with hardly anything on its own.

Hope this makes sense. ...Did I mention I hate the FRLG music?
I really enjoy R/B/Y but I also liked FRLG. I agree with you on the music not being as good, as well as it being a revamp w/out the... how should I put this..... NOSTALGIA. The added features were a good touch, and I enjoyed playing through the Sevii Islands. They really should have put in some kind of reward for catching all of the unown, though....

The Author
October 29th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I considered them quite satisfactory, actually! I loved them! ;)

Azure
October 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM
At the time... yes but as features & graphics have advanced they are becoming slightly dated.

Snivy063
November 2nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Before, I was really thrilled to play the game as it reminded me with the older ones, but of course, with a different graphics, sound and that sort of stuff. But as Nintendo keeps making advanced stuff, guess the feeling just fades away like instantly. o.o;

Jubilation
December 25th, 2011, 05:38 AM
They were quite fun to play, I must admit. But to me, they weren't as much fun as Emerald in that once I beated LG, I didn't really play it again and again like I have Emerald.

Markichuuuuu
December 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
When they first came out, I loved them. Now, I'd rather play the originals.

Jak
December 26th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Sorry, this tread is over a month old. :(

Locked.