PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Unova's "Isolation" from other regions

Antebellum
February 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
It was stated from the start that Unova is far away from most of the other regions in the Pokemon world. This can be proven by the lack of connectivity with the other Pokemon games, until the main game is completed. This was most likely to give Unova a feeling of freshness and to set it apart (figuratively) from the other regions. So, what are your thoughts on the isolation of Unova? Do you prefer all Pokemon games were like this, or would you rather have full connectivity with all of your other games as soon as possible?

neoracer12345
February 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM
i dont like it :P i thought that they would add it like below or to the right of sinnoh or something. although, it DOES give it a fresh feeling to me though

SpeedRave13
February 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I enjoy it. I wouldn't say I'd like ALL of the previous games to be that way, but I think its nice to give Generation 5 a fresh start. Since you can't catch any older pokemon, etc., it makes it feel like a completely fresh adventure.

Erufuun
February 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Well, it definitely was an excuse to add so many new Pokemon~ :3 It fits. As much as I like the older Pokemon, I enjoy seeing the new faces around more! And I can get some new feelings for the newer Pokemon~ (LIKE A NEW HATRED FOR WOOBAT LIKE ZUBAT)

Azure
February 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like it, it's different and it makes it more unique!

Crimson5M
February 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like it. I mean, it only makes sense, since it's based off an entirely different area. It also makes it seem very new, and fresh; exactly what GameFreak where going for.

Snowflakes
February 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I love it when areas aren't connected.
It makes it feel like it really is a new game.

Hoenn had a similar thing with isolation form other regions, if I remember correctly. Despite what others say, I loved the Gen III games/plot and the show for it was great (unlike some current series...Yeah, I'm looking at YOU, Diamond and Pearl).

Back on topic...
The isolation really demonstrates to me that we're entering the next generation. It says "We're moving forward; get on board before the train leaves. And for God's sake, wear your hat right, everyone's staring."
..uh. Right.
So, Unova's isolation is A-OK to me. ;D

MrGriszell
February 7th, 2011, 03:48 PM
It makes sense, i just hope the next couple of regions are near unova and are based off other places in the U.S.

Sabrewulf238
February 7th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I prefer it like this, it gives everything a fresh look when only completely new pokemon can be found....It get's so boring when we have to rely on Magikarps, Zubats and Geodudes all the time.

and anyway, it's not like you can't get an older gen pokemon at all.

PlatinumDude
February 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Since Unova is so far away from the other regions, it feels like a fresh start to me. But what I don't like about it is being unable to use Pokemon from other regions until I get the National Dex.

JP
February 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't want to see this for every generation because I do like the connectivity of the other regions. Every few generations though, I think it's great that they introduce a "new country", far from the other areas. Definitely adds a feeling of freshness.

Forever
February 7th, 2011, 04:56 PM
It makes sense, i just hope the next couple of regions are near unova and are based off other places in the U.S.

Uhhh doubt it. This seems more like a one-off for America. Considering how Nintendo suddenly loves Europe, though... (maybe, we don't know!)

Anyway, I really like the idea of Unova being far away from the other games. It actually makes it seem more exciting imo, because it's primarily based on a popular place that the western society does see in movies, etc, while the majority of the western society (unless they've visited) can't associate with Japan as much as anywhere in the western society, if that makes sense. And it also allows Japanese players to get a taste of western culture, which seems to have been successful - and made the players interested, considering the pre-orders and purchases in Japan anyway.

Hopefully this trend does continue for other western countries but we'll have to see.

Elite Four Lucian
February 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I like that it creates a new fresh feeling for the game, I just hope that the next Regions are connected XDD

Katholic Nun
February 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I think if they were going to be totally realistic about it, then there would be just a couple of Pokemon from previous generations mixed in. Water Pokemon and Flying Pokemon would be the best bets, considering they have the most ready means of transportation between regions, regardless of how far away they are. Tentacool and Tentacruel should have been in water, at the very least.

GlitchCity
February 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I love it. But if all regions/generations were like this, I would'nt be too pleased. But for Unova, it fits perfectly. I love reboots :D

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
February 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Me too plus the US is bigger than Japan so they can make isolated regions like they did with Hoenn in the Japan based regions :) They could make one based on Settle, San Fransisco, Portland, ect.

GlitchCity
February 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
If they were to do that, I would like GameFreak to make the region from the Rocky Mountains, westward to the Pacific ocean (including hawaii). But this would probably take the uniqueness away from Unova seeing that it is the only region based off the U.S. as of now :O

Nateon
February 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I loved the way you could go to kanto and johto in gen 2 and their remakes and would love to see it again, but i love the idea they've had about pretty much starting anew, it's like a whole new start to pokemon =]

Kenshin5
February 7th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Its a breath of fresh air too the series imo. The previous generations local were based in the Japanese area. And Black and White have an American aspect about them. Hopefully they build upon this in future generations by including landscapes unique to the Americas. If they do plan too keep the area based in NA and SA then I would like too see pokemon based of cultures like they did with Shinbora basing them off the Nazca culture or Braviary basing it off the Bald Eagle and a Native American warrior. But at the same time I am glad there is not a complete cut off with previous generations, got to stick too the roots.

bobandbill
February 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Uhhh doubt it. This seems more like a one-off for America.
Maybe the first for Game Freak, but Orre which featured in Pokemon Colosseum and XD back in the 3rd generation is said to be based off Arizona.

Anyways I certainly think it is an interesting idea and don't feel there's much wrong with the idea either. After all sooner or later they would have run out of regions in Japan to used (and if you go by that Offical Pokemon map there's not much left anyways).

Besides, what is there to gain in knowing that a region is next to others if you cannot go to those other regions? GSC is the only game with that in Johto and Kanto, and it doesn't affect when you can trade with past games either.

tmega1990
February 8th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I like it. It is a fresh start and you get to use all new Pokemon.

vaporeon7
February 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I'm on level ground with it. It has its pros and cons for me. But a fresh start is never bad. I will now hate finding Basculin like I did Tentacool.

MrGriszell
February 8th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I cant see Unova being across the world by its self. Even if there not based on U.S locations there should be one or two more regions near it. They did NY city , maybe base a region on california, Lol how about Las Vegas and the criminal organization could be like the mob. Imagine a giant city filled with neon lights, im talking bigger than castella city lol

TheRatBoy
February 8th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I like the idea of an isolated reigon. It truly feels like a new game is on the horizon. Besides their weren't any islands left in japan to base a reigon off

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 8th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Isshu doesn't have anything indicating that it's an island on its own. It's completely feasible that there are adjacent regions around it - this isn't Isshu or Houen, where the islands are not really joined to anything. They've only stated that the region was disparate (or in their words, "far off") from Houen, Kanto, Johto and Shin'ou.

It wouldn't be farfetched to speculate that the games are focusing on a new "country" now. I would be interested to see if they do start a new entry to the Pokémon series around this country with some new region, giving Black and White a sequel of sorts. I don't see it happening anytime soon, though.

February 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah Unova obviously has land to it's "North" and "left" sides they could use in the future :)
Though I hope they don't end up making a return to Unova like they did to Kanto in GS which was all dead...I want a live Unova...

Perrie ✿
February 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I like the feature, however Nintendo hopefully won't make a habit of it. >_>

Maybe Orre and such are close by! <:

I also like how only Unova Pokemon were able to be caught and no others until later on.

Esper
February 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
It's a nice change and I hope that if they continue to make new games they'll spread out to more places in the world. I don't think I'd want to see three more regions based on America. It was fine with the other games since basing them all on Japan was their 'thing' but now that they've broken with that I'd rather they tried new places entirely. A second region connected to Isshu would be okay so you can have a large area in one game, but that's really not necessary and it it never comes to be I won't be disappointed.

RYOUKI
February 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I don't know. I felt like they tried to make a new Pokemon from scratch. But it's a good concept as it introduced more new Pokemon than before.

Nateon
February 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM
We've had four japan-based games and one american, it would be interesting to see what it'd be like elsewhere like England, Africa, even Australia

Venomoth Z
February 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Does anyone else think it would be cool, if in one Generation in the future the new region was split into different continents? So you could get on a Plane and fly from say a Japanese based continent to an Australian based continent or something cool like that.

olih
February 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I like Unova like this. It gives a fresh start. It wouldn't be good with all the Pokemon games though. What I do wonder is how far Unova is from the main regions. Is there a map of all the regions together? I know Pokearth, but that doesn't show where Unova is in relation to all the other regions.

Bluerang1
February 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I like it. It's a fresh feel. I know there are other regions connected I even said it might have it's own Johto. I don't want a fresh start all the time and I would like the next region to be based off elsewhere. Like London, and we can have a long river going through the region like the Thames. Oh and Battle double-decker Buses! :D

PiPVoda
February 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Does anyone else think it would be cool, if in one Generation in the future the new region was split into different continents? So you could get on a Plane and fly from say a Japanese based continent to an Australian based continent or something cool like that.

Hmm, continents are big. For the pokemon world I guess it's safe to say that each region is sort of is a country, and all the regions make up the continent, or pokemon world. Come to think of it I wonder how the pokemon world map would look now that Isshu/Unova is added to it. 4 giant landmasses (since kanto/johto are connected = one landmass) in totally seperate parts of a globe?

We've had four japan-based games and one american, it would be interesting to see what it'd be like elsewhere like England, Africa, even Australia

I'd love an Australia region. It'd be sooo big! Australia is actually closer to Japan than the US, so I'm surprised that they didn't go to Australia for inspiration. Plenty to find there. Isshu could have been based off of Australia. It has all of the geographic features that Australia has(disregarding mountains and snow)....

King Gumball
February 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah Unova obviously has land to it's "North" and "left" sides they could use in the future :)
Though I hope they don't end up making a return to Unova like they did to Kanto in GS which was all dead...I want a live Unova...

That extra land could still be part of Unova, just unvisitable in the games, and unimportant in the Anime. Or it could be like national parks or something to base the future Pokemon Ranger games off. Because pokemon ranger game areas are included in PokeEarth too.

I like that it is based in like a whole knew continent, this will allow many more generations of game play, as they can now build off Unova. I would really like to see a region influenced by Africa ;)

--Pipvoda, we do have some snow and many mountains and ranges ;) We have the biggest variety of Fauna and Flora too due to our isolation, so I hope we get a game based on aus.

BrainChord
February 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
It was stated from the start that Unova is far away from most of the other regions in the Pokemon world. This can be proven by the lack of connectivity with the other Pokemon games, until the main game is completed. This was most likely to give Unova a feeling of freshness and to set it apart (figuratively) from the other regions. So, what are your thoughts on the isolation of Unova? Do you prefer all Pokemon games were like this, or would you rather have full connectivity with all of your other games as soon as possible?
I would want, every time they isolate (4-5 games maybe?), that they should release a game where you travel through all of the regions released in those games, then isolate to a new area for a brand new start :D
Then, when GF is making its last game, make a collab of all regions :D

PiPVoda
February 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM
That extra land could still be part of Unova, just unvisitable in the games, and unimportant in the Anime. Or it could be like national parks or something to base the future Pokemon Ranger games off. Because pokemon ranger game areas are included in PokeEarth too.

I like that it is based in like a whole knew continent, this will allow many more generations of game play, as they can now build off Unova. I would really like to see a region influenced by Africa ;)

--Pipvoda, we do have some snow and many mountains and ranges ;) We have the biggest variety of Fauna and Flora too due to our isolation, so I hope we get a game based on aus.

Wow Australia is even more unique than I thought. :D

And hopefully that extra land in Isshu is used for something, but it doesn't seem like much so...ehh.

Silver25
February 19th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I thought since nobody has yet done this, I'd post a picture showing the north of Unova. Although this is from the anime, I think it accurately represents how much more landmass connected to Unova there is.

It's interesting because I can't see Kanto, Johto, Hoenn or Sinnoh on there. Perhaps there are really that many other regions between them? And of course I doubt this is to scale or anything of that nature, but it does tell you Unova is only one small part of the landmass (such as Kanto and Johto are one small area of a much larger one.)

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b6/Unova_world_map.png

MrGriszell
February 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I thought since nobody has yet done this, I'd post a picture showing the north of Unova. Although this is from the anime, I think it accurately represents how much more landmass connected to Unova there is.

It's interesting because I can't see Kanto, Johto, Hoenn or Sinnoh on there. Perhaps there are really that many other regions between them? And of course I doubt this is to scale or anything of that nature, but it does tell you Unova is only one small part of the landmass (such as Kanto and Johto are one small area of a much larger one.)

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b6/Unova_world_map.png

i noticed it too, i figure the whole pokemon world could be concluded in couple more generations. But it would be foolish just to leave unova by itself , i mean i think people are taking this so called FRESH start a little too far by not wanting any connection to past pokemon regions in the game.

インフェルノの津波
February 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Well it's better, definitely.

I mean, it gets annoying after say 10 years of the same old Pokemon, Gamefreak did pretty well this time around. Though HG/SS made the oldies a bit better, but yeah isolation is much better.

And Unova's isolation reminds me of Japan's isolation too XD

smurf
February 19th, 2011, 09:30 PM
it would be nice if they would make it where you meet like a professor from another region about halfway through the game
and they take you back to another region and that way you can start trading for pokemon on your other games

February 19th, 2011, 10:49 PM
You mean like how Bill took you to the Sevii islands after the seventh Badge in FrLg? That would be awesome if they did that :D

fenyx4
February 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM
I like the idea of an isolated reigon. It truly feels like a new game is on the horizon. Besides their weren't any islands left in japan to base a reigon off

Eh...there's quite a bit of land left that is above Kanto/Johto and south of Sinnoh. There's also a small chunk of isolated land to the left of Johto, which I think could be used as a little bonus Sevii-ish location:

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt161/Phantoon/Pokemon_World_Map_by_Cadellin.png

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll90/agc94/PokemonWorld.png

(first map is larger render of pre-Unova main series regions including Hoenn's "real world" orientation and the Orange Archipelago; second map has Hoenn's "game orientation" of 90 degrees counterclockwise rotation and includes both the Orange and Sevii Archipelagos)

You mean like how Bill took you to the Sevii islands after the seventh Badge in FrLg? That would be awesome if they did that :D

Another mini-region faraway like the Sevii and Orange Islands coupled with the main region of a game would be interesting.

As for Unova's isolation, it fits the whole "rebirth" theme and strengthens the concept of an "only Unova-native Pokemon" game. However, since a lot of Pokemon foreign to Unova can be found after beating the Elite 4, the isolation thing is kind of made pointless. What, was there some kind of mass migration of Pokemon immediately after Adeku's defeat? Flying and swimming Pokemon I can understand, but how did Pokemon like Lairon and Aggron get there? :cer_confused: There's always the excuse of that landmass above Unova, but that detracts even further from Unova's "isolation." IMO, if Unova was a lone island region (similar to Australia), then the whole "isolation concept" would work well, but right now, it still seems implausible that no one in Unova has ever seen fairly common foreign Pokemon like Pikachu.

JP
February 21st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Are those maps the real deal or are they fan interpretations of what the Pokemon world looks like thus far? I was always under the impression that we didn't know for sure where exactly everything was located in relation to one another. I know that the shapes of the regions are based off segments of real world Japan, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're located and situated like that?

Just curious of course.

fenyx4
February 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Are those maps the real deal or are they fan interpretations of what the Pokemon world looks like thus far? I was always under the impression that we didn't know for sure where exactly everything was located in relation to one another. I know that the shapes of the regions are based off segments of real world Japan, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're located and situated like that?

Just curious of course.

I believe they are fan interpretations; I pulled them off of the Rangerboard forum as someone posted them some months ago. For confirmation, I might be able to ask the poster to verify the maps' authenticity, but their filenames seem to be indicating that they are fanmade estimates. They seem to be quite accurate for the most part. :)

インフェルノの津波
February 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
Well I'm guessing Unova is up north, because of our lovable Polar Bears and Deer. The other regions are probably like this:

Hoenn: Equator.
Kanto/Johto: below Equator
Sinnoh: Above Equator.

So I'm guessing Unova is situated like New York, so it's probably very far from our old regions. Plus, look at some of the Pokemon. This may be fantasy, but GF still has to follow the laws of nature and had to keep the Old 4 Japanese-like.

Iceman3317
February 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
XD Gale of Darkness and Collisum are west of Johto according to what most say. Unova is based in America in New York. I have a feeling that there will be more regions in America/Canada if Pokemon countinue after the 5th Gen. It is also stated in Zoroark Master of Illusion that they came from across the great ocean or something like that. Liberty Island is based of the Statue of Liberty.

My guess is that we may get regions around the Great Lakes. Canada,Michigan,Chincago,Ect.

If there is more regions around Unova,we are lible to see even more native pokemon based on native animals. Turkey,Moose,ect.

Sorry,I just got way off topic most likely.

I am going to say 10 Gens will be max if it stays that long.

Barn
February 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM
I really like Unova's setup. Now, I love Zubats and Rattatas and Bidoofs but it's going to be nice to see some other Pokemon for a change.

Chadlington
February 21st, 2011, 10:20 PM
Im loving this speculation. Maybe Gen VI will expand on what exactly is above Unova, like Gen I and II did with Kanto and Johoto.

I hope we get one based on Aus too. Although, we dont have any towns or anything inland, we are all based around the coast. Which is the best coast line in the world BTW. I don't think it would work unfortunately.

Haowakeorden
February 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM
I don't really mind Unova's closeness or isolation with other regions. I'm not bothered by connectivity restrictions as a result, since most of my play time for Pokémon games occurs after the "main story" anyway.

Chadlington
February 22nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
I disagree. I need a goal when I play these games. After I beat the elite four i normally start again. I'm not one for 'collecting them all' either. Never have been.

Boarbeque
February 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM

Unova/Isshu is a refresh of the series and GF designers said that they made the pokemon look different for that reason. There will be a new johto

インフェルノの津波
February 22nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Well if Unova is technically Kanto, then the Johto copy should be above Unova or be somewhere else completely different.

Dunno. All I do know is no more connections to other regions.

iNfEcTeD_mUsHrOoM420
February 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I actually really do enjoy the idea. In fact I have seriously tried restraining myself from looking at any of the new pokemon except for like the starters and their evolved forms(possibly) just to give myself that full effect of a whole new world ya know? I cannot wait to enter the Unova region, especially since it's based off of very close to where I live and I do go to NYC all the time and stay there a lot. so this game really is gonna possibly give me that same feeling I had when I was only but 5 or 6 years old, and opened up Pokemon Red version...my first pokemon game ever(that I still own of course ;p ). now as someone did previously state, maybe they should of put some of the water type pokemon from the other regions(maybe in just the oceans, not the smaller lakes) and certain areas,possibly during certain seasons(such as summer) flying type pokemon come to migrate there for a month or so :). I also saw this idea floating abiout somewhere, but I think the next gen should be based off of somewhere like Hawaii ,or have a mainland with tropical islands off the coast. well,theres my opinion. Still waiting :) i still dont know which I am getting. possibly black. I hope theres plenty of new dark type pokemon

MrGriszell
February 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Why do people think there will be no more connections to previous pokemon games in future generations ? There were actually a good number of connections in BW. I think when the developers said unova would be sepreat from other regions the ment it for the region and pokemon not its story and connection to previousw games. It would be foolish to forget about the past 15 years . This was the reason why I loved heart gold because it showed that all the other places were connected like a pokemon world

Nameless.
February 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I personally enjoy the isolation for Unova, but I don't think that should always be the case for every region here on. I mean, GSC/HGSS were amazing to me because of the connectivity between Johto and Kanto. It really was a great thing to me, and I want it to happen again in the future -- but for Unova and a new region instead.

I want Unova's isolation to only mean that it's the start of another "country" for Pokemon, namely the United States. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh make their own "country" : Japan. I hope this becomes a type of theme for Pokemon. Every so number of regions they start another country by doing the isolation thing that Unova did. But please, oh please, do not keep doing isolation on every region from now on because of Unova. ><;

February 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Eh...there's quite a bit of land left that is above Kanto/Johto and south of Sinnoh. There's also a small chunk of isolated land to the left of Johto, which I think could be used as a little bonus Sevii-ish location:

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt161/Phantoon/Pokemon_World_Map_by_Cadellin.png

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll90/agc94/PokemonWorld.png

(first map is larger render of pre-Unova main series regions including Hoenn's "real world" orientation and the Orange Archipelago; second map has Hoenn's "game orientation" of 90 degrees counterclockwise rotation and includes both the Orange and Sevii Archipelagos)

Another mini-region faraway like the Sevii and Orange Islands coupled with the main region of a game would be interesting.

As for Unova's isolation, it fits the whole "rebirth" theme and strengthens the concept of an "only Unova-native Pokemon" game. However, since a lot of Pokemon foreign to Unova can be found after beating the Elite 4, the isolation thing is kind of made pointless. What, was there some kind of mass migration of Pokemon immediately after Adeku's defeat? Flying and swimming Pokemon I can understand, but how did Pokemon like Lairon and Aggron get there? :cer_confused: There's always the excuse of that landmass above Unova, but that detracts even further from Unova's "isolation." IMO, if Unova was a lone island region (similar to Australia), then the whole "isolation concept" would work well, but right now, it still seems implausible that no one in Unova has ever seen fairly common foreign Pokemon like Pikachu.
They could always add some of that extra land west of Johto in the RS remakes ;)
Well it's possible that Humans bought those pokemon there and act like invasive species like in real life...

Don Daddio
February 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
i guess thats wot the TV ads for pokemon BW meant when they said 'start from a new begining'..!!!!

Togakiss
February 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I like that it creates a new fresh feeling for the game, I just hope that the next Regions are connected XDD

I agree with you, I kind of like how the regions are connected in previous games because I always liked being able to travel to the different regions. I'm hoping that once you beat the Elite Four that you will get to fly to the other regions in the third game. I mean, there has to be a reason that there is an airport in this region other than the fact of the flying-type gym, right? I hope so!

BlooMilk C.
February 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
In Pokemon Black and White, I believe that many new features and graphics were implemented as well as many different Pokemon. I believe that Game Freak may just want a fresh new start for their franchise, and this is what it is. It is has also been a decade since the Pokemon franchise started, and Game Freak has a new audience of Pokemon fans that have more modernized thoughts and life styles, so this is mostly a new start for them. I don't think that this is bad at all, it's just a new beginning, and there will probably be new regions that are close to Isshu also that it is not separate from everything.

PiPVoda
February 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I agree with you, I kind of like how the regions are connected in previous games because I always liked being able to travel to the different regions. I'm hoping that once you beat the Elite Four that you will get to fly to the other regions in the third game. I mean, there has to be a reason that there is an airport in this region other than the fact of the flying-type gym, right? I hope so!
Hmm, well I don't think you'll be able to fly to another region, but I do think there could possibly be an area to the north of Unova that becomes visitable. As long as it's not lame like Sinnoh's battle zone, and by lame I meant it got boring for me after awhile.

MrGriszell
February 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
People talk like unova is in another dimension its just across the ocean. Its like saying japan is isolated from the U.S.. Just because its far away doesnt mean we will never see people or things from other regions. I think people are putting to much into this whole starting fresh thing. I mean there are vast similarities between the 5th gen and first so maybe thats gonna be the extent of this starting fresh thing

Mist_Ketchum
February 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I don't really like the whole isolation thing because personally, the new pokemon seem kinda strange to me and it makes it even worse that you can't even catch the older pokemon. And they probably would be very convenient at some points. But to comment on my own "Strange" comment, I remember looking at the Sinnoh region pkmn when the game first came out and complaining about how different they were and then later getting used to them and growing to like some of them.

TheFattestSnorlax
February 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Uhh... The Unova region is said to be the Tokyo area, so I bet it's not going to be U.S parts until the Japanese have used all of their land area for their pokemon games.

MrGriszell
February 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Uhh... The Unova region is said to be the Tokyo area, so I bet it's not going to be U.S parts until the Japanese have used all of their land area for their pokemon games.
No unova is based of the u.s NY to be exact

インフェルノの津波
February 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM

I'm sorry, but it appears that Junichi Masuda must be an idiot as he says Unova is based off New York City. If you don't believe me, please, read it in all of it's glory dear sir: Click Me! (http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=242)

Oh, did I mention he's a director?

In any case, Unova's isolation brings up many things that could be done for it, and it's descendants. In fact I hope the next region is separated as well.

conesorcups
February 27th, 2011, 09:34 PM
As most have said, I think it will give B&W more of a fresh-start feeling rather than taking off where you left off :)

Adam.
February 28th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I like the isolation. It makes the region feel like how Kanto was. Oh (even though this is miniscule) I like how they've gone back to starting from Route 1; just gives a sense of a fresh start, really!

MrGriszell
March 1st, 2011, 12:39 AM
I used to like it but then two many people started to complain how it wasnt isolated enough i mean did you really want no connection to a previouse game? i think the best thing about a game thats been going strong for 15 years is that and 5 gens ......you have 15 years and 5 gens of connection you can include in it but call me crazy

Austy
March 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
I rather enjoy this magical isolation, for the newness of it all. It also eliminates some of the pesky Pokemon like Geodude, who are just obnoxious after so long. And not entirely sure how relevant this is, but reading some posts I imagined a region that was all a bunch of islands, sorta like LoZ Wind Waker. I kinda liked some of the water traveling of Hoenn, and I think it would be fun to have some game add a new element to that.

MrGriszell
March 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
I rather enjoy this magical isolation, for the newness of it all. It also eliminates some of the pesky Pokemon like Geodude, who are just obnoxious after so long. And not entirely sure how relevant this is, but reading some posts I imagined a region that was all a bunch of islands, sorta like LoZ Wind Waker. I kinda liked some of the water traveling of Hoenn, and I think it would be fun to have some game add a new element to that.

Lol almost the same thing i thought. I imagined the region would be like on great beach or something ....but it is kinda it has many beaches in the game

lamby101
March 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
I guess I'll have to see when I play it. To be honest I think it'll purely depend on how much I like the new pokemon, if I can't find enough that I like I will be longing for the end of the game so I can play with other gen pokemon.

MrGriszell
March 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
I guess I'll have to see when I play it. To be honest I think it'll purely depend on how much I like the new pokemon, if I can't find enough that I like I will be longing for the end of the game so I can play with other gen pokemon.
my problem is that you cant get most really good pokemon until after the 5th badge

gregory_turner420
March 3rd, 2011, 03:03 AM
fresh new start, only new pokes, and interesting story? the isolation was briliant!

MrGriszell
March 7th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Ok having played the english vesion i realized the only thing isolating unova is water lol. There are so many reference's to previous gens , like alot of people you meet come from hoen there are mentions of stuff like poffins in books and one of the bridges is nicknamed the charizard bridge. im so glad the developers chose tto include so much of other gen stuff in the game

D0N3GAN
March 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I like it, when a new generation of Pokemon is released and comes with 150+ new Pokemon, I prefer to just use Pokemon of that generation rather than seeing Pokemon from two generations prior. As long as there is atleast some way with connecting to previous games :D