PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Unova Pronunciation: You-Na-va? or Un-No-Vah?

Llennoccm8
February 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM
What do you Think it is?

On the new TV spots, they said You-No-Va.

But they can pronounce it wrong.

Blue
February 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I noticed that on the recent trailer, I pronounce it differently to the narrator, (Un-No-Vah)

Nateon
February 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I've always called it Un-o-va but i've been wrong before, i guess we'll find out in the english anime maybe?

SSJ4 Furanki
February 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I pronounce it Uno-vuh personally. You-no-vuh sounds wrong to me.

Perrie ✿
February 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I pronounce it ; Is-Shu, because I use that name although I've have to break into Unova.

According to Alternative and one of his blogs Unova will be pronounced Yew-Ne-Vah.

I hope to god someone messed it up on the commercial .___. Cause' if thats true Idk what I'll do ;__;

Venomoth Z
February 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Well l personally pronounce it You-No-Va, that way sounds correct to me.

Crimson5M
February 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Un-No-Va
Any other way just sounds weird IMO.

TJgamer
February 8th, 2011, 01:58 PM
You-no-vah sounds good.

You-na-vu? That doesn't make sense. :cer_confused:

Backup
February 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I've been pronouncing it "You-No-Vah". It sounds right that way but I'm not really sure if it's the right way...

Unova: "Uno-vah" ? Um... That doesn't sound right....

"Youn-oh-vah"? Still odd...

Blue
February 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM
You-Nova.. is how it sounds and should sound.

Virtual Headache
February 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM
You-no-vah sounds good.
That's exactly how I would pronounce it. I never thought of it to be pronounced a different way.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
February 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I pronounce it You-na-va myself so for me it's correct :)

GlitchCity
February 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Is there really another way to say it? I heard people criticizing the english commercials because they pronnounced Unova wrong. But yes, I perfer You-No-Vah. I think the "Nova" part is what makes Unova epic.

February 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM
You-Nova.. is how it sounds and should sound.
I agree...I never pronounced it any other way...the other way people are pronouncing it sounds weird...

s4rg10
February 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM
American people will find You sound better because of their English language
i'm from Europe and i pronounce it U-No-Va and find it best for me

Dillon_68
February 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Neither one of the choices are how I pronounce it. You-No-Vah, as in U Nova.

Boarbeque
February 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
It is Latin so they pronounced it correctly. People are going to complain about it for about a month and then get over it like they did with the designs of the pokemon, and all other changes.

Speed
February 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I pronounce it You-no-vah. I guess we can just wait until they say it on the English anime to see the correct pronunciation.

Forever
February 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
American people will find You sound better because of their English language
i'm from Europe and i pronounce it U-No-Va and find it best for me

That's what I was thinking, that people from diffferent languages will pronounce it differently because of their accent, and generally most of the public from that language would be accepting of that pronounciation because that's how they speak. Except in this case, where Americans seem to disagree with the pronouncation.

Either way, You-No-Va for me. As in U-Nova. I think the narrator pronounces it how most of us say it, just says it really quickly. :(

PlatinumDude
February 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I've been pronouncing Unova as "You-No-Va" ever since it was first revealed.

JP
February 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I pronounce it "U-no-vah".

"You-Na-Vu" just sounds backwards lol.

GlitchCity
February 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM
So I decided to look up the new trailer and my face went like "Whattt? What did he just say? Idiot..." I hope they dont pronnounce it like that in the anime. That would just kill it before it even starts. Doesnt Japan give the US like a pronunciation guide or something?

February 8th, 2011, 06:05 PM
You-na-vah? That does sound odd...
I'm glad it's You-no-va :)

Blue
February 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm surprised how many people noticed this

February 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM
That's what I was thinking, that people from diffferent languages will pronounce it differently because of their accent, and generally most of the public from that language would be accepting of that pronounciation because that's how they speak. Except in this case, where Americans seem to disagree with the pronouncation.

Either way, You-No-Va for me. As in U-Nova. I think the narrator pronounces it how most of us say it, just says it really quickly. :(
Lol your post sounds as if you're saying that Austrilian English and American English are two different languages when they are not...yet...( I know you aren't but the use of the words different languages pronounce it differently sure makes it seems like you are)
How do you get U-Nova from You-No-va? Just wondering?
I think most of us pronounce it You-No-va so yeah he does pronounce it like most of us are :)

GlitchCity
February 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Lol your post sounds as if you're saying that Austrilian English and American English are two different languages when they are not...yet...( I know you aren't but the use of the words different languages pronounce it differently sure makes it seems like you are)
I think most of us pronounce it You-No-va so yeah he does pronounce it like most of us are :)
U-Nova as in Yuh-Nova? Because actually I've been saying it like that xDD whoopsie. So it just You-Nova or Yuh-Nova?

Forever
February 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM

...oh, well you know what I mean. XD

U-Nova as in U = You and Nova as in the actual word Nova, which is... pretty much the same as You-No-Va to me. XD;

February 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Oh I thought you were pronouncing the U as Ooohh instead of You.

Esper
February 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Oh I thought you were pronouncing the U as Ooohh instead of You.

That's how I'd pronounce it. I've studied some French and Japanese and neither language would pronounce a word that starts with 'u' as though it had a 'y' in front of it. Plus:

http://www.mobiletor.com/images/uno-mobile-game.jpg

I can't be the only person that thought of this.

February 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM
That's how I'd pronounce it. I've studied some French and Japanese and neither language would pronounce a word that starts with 'u' as though it had a 'y' in front of it. Plus:

http://www.mobiletor.com/images/uno-mobile-game.jpg

I can't be the only person that thought of this.I know what you mean that why I thought some people prounced it like Oohh-no-vah when they said they pronounced it U-no-vah...
Well we american's are weird like that with are U's being You's...

Kamitsure-chan
February 8th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I seem to switch between oo-no-va and you-no-va. My mind says it you-no-va, but more often than not it comes out oo-no-va. XD

Sabrewulf238
February 8th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I don't exactly pronounce it like either of those:

"You-no-va"

I guess I'll vote the first option though. Not exactly right though.

The Red Chain
February 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM
You-No-Va for me as well.
There are so many ways to pronounce it, but this one is the only one that really makes any sense to me.

Erufuun
February 8th, 2011, 11:50 PM
"You-no-va", definitely. I just said it like that when I first saw it. XD
It seems the most American for some reason~
Still like the name Isshu better, though. :c

vaporeon7
February 9th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Well the new trailers pronounce it You-nah-vuh but I hope it is actually pronounced You-no-vuh. I guess we'll find out for sure this weekend when the anime airs.

Yuoaman
February 9th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Anyone who doesn't pronounce the 'nova' part as 'no'-'vah' is wrong, anyway - seriously, that's just failing at English right there.

TheUnown
February 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
In my head, I pronounce it as 'oo-no-vah' xDD. I never even considered saying it like 'you-no-vah' strangely enough =/

King Gumball
February 9th, 2011, 01:59 AM
You-No-Va for me... It sounds funny saying it differently XD

johnkapid
February 9th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Yuu-noh-baa is what my friends pronounce it but I prefer U-no-va because it gives the mysterious vibe...

G.U.Y.
February 9th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Oo-No-Vuh, Albeit, the correct pronunciation is probably Yoo-No-Vuh

The other way doesn't sound English, it sounds and follows similar pronunciation rules as Slavic languages (Russian, Bulgarian, etc.) The point of changing it from Isshu to Unova was to make it sound English. :3

Twiggy
February 9th, 2011, 03:51 AM
For me, it's neither, though it's closer to the first one. You-no-va, anyone?

Kaori
February 9th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I've pronounced it as "You-No-Vah" ever since the first time I heard the region name. Of course pronouncing it like that all the time I am adjusted to saying it that way, and if it isn't pronounce as so, it'll be pretty weird for me. :( Also keep in mind it just might be that the narrator who pronounced Unova in a different way, their way of pronouncing it. Like I've mentioned somewhere around before, I guess we'll get the official confirmation on how to say it when the anime Black and White is released this week. 'Best Wishes' for "You-No-Vah!" D:

s4rg10
February 9th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Anyone who doesn't pronounce the 'nova' part as 'no'-'vah' is wrong, anyway - seriously, that's just failing at English right there.

But since when Unova is english word?

Blue
February 9th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I always pronounce it You-Nova or You-No-Va, same thing really but that's how it sounds when you say it.

Kaori
February 12th, 2011, 06:53 AM
After seeing it for myself in the the first B&W episode that aired in the US, Unova is pronounced: "You-Nih-Va". I guess I can work with that, but I was so used to pronouncing the "Nih" as "No". u_u It's like saying the first part of Universe with an A at the end, "Univa".

dylkimaloc
February 12th, 2011, 07:19 AM
You-nuh-va = gross

You-no-va = win.

Still, after watching B&W I don't understand why they decided to pronounce it that way. Gonna bug me for a bit, but I'll get over it.

Zhinc
February 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Um, I always thought is was 'Uhn'-'o'-'vah'. But I guess I could change to say it another way; I've never really been happy with that pronounciation anyway. =/

'Univa'? That kinda sounds like part of 'universe' is you say it really fast. xD

RYOUKI
February 12th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I always thought it was pronounced Uu-no-va. ;;

Quite a shick to hear it pronounced You-no-va, which kinda makes sense.

Pink Typholsion
February 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM
on the commerical it says Uni-va

GlitchCity
February 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Well apparently it is now offical that it is "Una-va (You-na-va)" in the US. Gosh, I wanted to be pronounced "You-nova". I guess we cant always get what we want :[ and this proves it. Now I'm sad.

But Im still going to say "You-nova" just because it sounds cooler. I dont care if people give me that crazy look :D

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
February 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Oo-No-Va is the way I've been pronouncing it thus far :)

Vegas
February 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Lol I just say U-no-va. :q
Yay for being lazy Finnish person.

bwburke94
February 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
The name Unova likely comes from the Spanish "uno" and "nova". So it should be Oo-no-va with the stress on the second syllable.

Haowakeorden
February 13th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Going with the anime here (at least temporarily, or what I think I heard them say). "YOO-no-vuh".

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
February 13th, 2011, 10:49 AM
The name Unova likely comes from the Spanish "uno" and "nova". So it should be Oo-no-va with the stress on the second syllable.

Yay I got it right lol :D

BareBones
February 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I pronounce it You-No-Vah, for some reason.

Zorua
February 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I pronounce it "Un-oh-Vah", and always have. This new pronunciation seems to puzzle me slightly, but I suppose...

Derezzed
February 15th, 2011, 03:49 AM
It's weird, because I've never had to say it out loud I haven't thought about how I'd pronounce it. After watching the anime I'm going with you-no-vah though.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
February 15th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I just call it Isshu~ It's easier~~

mzmingle
February 15th, 2011, 06:19 AM
U - No - Vah.
I can't think of it any other way really...

SukoSuNa
February 15th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I always pronounce it "You-No-Vah".
Mostly because there's a street where I live called Nova Vista so I'm used to the sound "No-vah".

Forever
February 15th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I just call it Isshu~ It's easier~~

Yeah but this thread is asking of only the two ways (and any other ways of "Unova" not Isshu) D;

Even after the pronounciation was confirmed official by the anime, I still am going to call it U-no-va. I don't care if the other way is official, it just does not sound right to me. :x /rebel

Rich Boy Rob
February 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Oo-No-Va for me.
I say it with the second syllable stressed like Oo-Nova though, not like Oo-nuh-va

ohinvisible
February 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Oo-No-Va for me.
I say it with the second syllable stressed like Oo-Nova though, not like Oo-nuh-va
This is the way I pronounce it, too.

I really dislike this name... the "ova" part jumps out at me every time. D:

InfernoHo-Oh
February 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Un-No-Vah, thats how I say it~

Serperior
February 15th, 2011, 09:56 PM
You-no-va. Always have pronounced it that way, always will.

Unknown Entity
February 16th, 2011, 06:53 AM
U-no-vah is how I've been saying it, never really thought about how it was actually pronounced until I saw this thread...

~Unknown

Gleam Noiyam
February 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM
It's pronounced UN-NO-VAH. You-na-va sounds wrong. Un-no-vah sounds like Universe the other one doesn't.

WarpstarX
February 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Unum(one)+Novus(new)=Unova, Uno comes from Unum thus it's pronounced Oo-Nova.

Kaori
February 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM
It's pronounced UN-NO-VAH. You-na-va sounds wrong. Un-no-vah sounds like Universe the other one doesn't.

It's actually pronounced "You-Ni-Va," but You-Na-Va is also correct if you pronounce it slightly the same way. It sounds a bit more like Universe in my opinion, and the correct pronunciation has already been confirmed "You Ni/Na Va" after hearing the characters in the B&W anime say it for themselves. ;x

For others, it may just depend on their accent.

February 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
If you pronounce it based on its name origin (Latin, if I recall?), you would pronounce it "Oo-noh-vah", which is how I've been pronouncing it, being the language geek I am ^_^

Axeliira
February 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Ever since the debut of Unova, I've been saying it as "You-NO-Vuh" all this time. But when I saw the first episode of B/W, it's been said "You-Nah-Vuh". So, it's been quite confusing to say which pronunciation is the correct one.

Envioux
February 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I've been pronouncing Unova as "You-No-Va" ever since it was first revealed.

I remember the day it was revealed as Unova. U nited (states) ov (of) a(merica) and thought it was pretty clever. United begins with "You" so I pronounce it "You-No-Va".

tl;dr You-No-Va seems correct to me.

PiPVoda
February 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Oo-No-Va is the way I've been pronouncing it thus far :)
Yep, I'm sure that's the pronounciation. I mean some English words may be hard to pronounce but Unova is obviously oo-no-va. Well to me it is.

The Red Chain
February 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I hate the actual pronunciation, I really do. ;-; You-nih-va just defies the English language.
It's as if they are trying too hard to be different, even if it means making zero sense. ]:
I wonder what it's supposed to resemble when pronouncing it like that...

Mew~
February 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
It's actually pronounced "You-Ni-Va," but You-Na-Va is also correct if you pronounce it slightly the same way. It sounds a bit more like Universe in my opinion, and the correct pronunciation has already been confirmed "You Ni/Na Va" after hearing the characters in the B&W anime say it for themselves. ;x

For others, it may just depend on their accent.

I'm pretty sure it's "You-nuh-vuh," - not "You-niv-vuh,"
v/U6UjJFAq8Nc

I've even just checked BW01 (I have it downloaded on my PC, shhhh), you can hear the "nuh" in the pronunciation when all the characters say it. I hear no "niv".

BenjiTheKid
February 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I've been pronouncing it Yew-No-Vah for some reason. Every time I see it written out, that's just the way my head reads it. ._.

bwburke94
February 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
As I believe I said before, Oo-NO-va is the closest to where it came from. Assuming it really is from Spanish and not Latin, there's some confusion. Also, no va means "doesn't go" in Spanish.

Baibanira
February 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Oo-NO-va is exactly how I pronounced it.

fenyx4
February 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM

Which would be the majority of the anime voice actors..? Because I heard "nih" with each pronunciation, not "no"... :cer_laugh:

After seeing it for myself in the the first B&W episode that aired in the US, Unova is pronounced: "You-Nih-Va". I guess I can work with that, but I was so used to pronouncing the "Nih" as "No". u_u It's like saying the first part of Universe with an A at the end, "Univa".

Where the heck did they get "Nih" from? I could understand if the region was spelled Univa, Unihva, or Unyhva, but come on! There is clearly a 'nOv' right there; how could they possibly get a low-I sound from that? I know Unova is a fantasy word, but we have to follow some sort of language convention, and since this is the English dub, I would assume the dubbers/localizers would be following English conventions for the most part unless otherwise specified. Unless Unova's vocal rendering is derived from a foreign language other than English, they're setting things up so that children viewing will have their vowel sounds possibly botched. >_> Vowels sound certain ways for a reason; they can't just go attributing the "ni" sound to the spelling "nova". Otherwise, I can equally start using pfjgqwww as a textual rendering for the letter A (pronounced "ay").
Ugh...this is why linguistics annoy me, especially the English language which is chock full of words devised by people who don't know their vowel and consonant sounds.

As I believe I said before, Oo-NO-va is the closest to where it came from. Assuming it really is from Spanish and not Latin, there's some confusion. Also, no va means "doesn't go" in Spanish.

Anyway...the three immediate language derivations I can apply to the portmanteau Unova are English (united and nova), Spanish (uno and no va; uno and the English/Latin word nova), and Latin (unum and nova); or a combination of any of those italicized words:

-Provided the origin is English, "You-No-Vuh" would be a valid pronunciation, as the word "united" also begins with the pronunciation of "You".

-Provided the origin is Spanish, "Ooh-No-Va" is more fitting, as the Spanish word uno is pronounced OOH-no, not YOU-no.

-Provided the origin is Latin, "Ooh-No-Vuh" fits again, as the Latin word unum is pronounced OOH-num, not YOU-num.

Anyway, I'm not a language expert, and until we get an actual linguistic origin, pretty much any pronunciation is correct for Unova. And until then, we won't know which language rules the commercial announcer and voice actors are actually violating. if any. IMO, the voice actors definitely are by pronouncing "NO" as "NIH" (language fail T_T). Ugh...this is why I dislike linguistics.

Anyway, I pronounce it Ooh-NO-Va, as in my experience it's rare nowadays to hear a word that starts its spelling with "U" and is pronounced "Ooh". With Ulgamoth, I do a similar thing by leaving out the "Y" from the "U": UHL-ga-moth (uhl rhymes with null).

That poll really needs to be amended, due to the numerous pronunciation possibilities of Unova...

solarowl
February 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I pronounce it You-No-Va, but in the english anime, they pronounce it You-nu-vah, saying the nu part quickly, making it sound somewhat similar to how it should be pronounced You-No-Va.

Guy
February 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
I had been pronouncing it as 'You-No-Va' since the English name for the region was revealed. Ever since the Black and White series premiered on Cartoon Network though, I've kept up the pronunciation as 'You-Nuh-Va.'

Zeph.
February 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
I was under the impression that it was pronounced You-no-vah because there was an O in it. You know:

UnOva

Or have the basics of the english language just been ignored?

cookie_lovr
February 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
You-No-Vuh is correct. always will be

GardevoirNess
February 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Not int he poll, I thought it was pronoounce You-No-Vah

Buttetsu Batou
February 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM
You know Va? Makes sense right?

ManhattanTheStarr
February 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I'm starting to get used to the You-Nuh-Va pronunciation of Unova. It almost sounds like United States of America all squeezed up. :B

Don Daddio
February 27th, 2011, 12:41 AM
i pronounce it you-no-va....just sounds right to me

Kevin
February 27th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Wow I always thought it was You-No-Va...
It sounds better in my opinion, so that's how I'll pronounce it.

Adam.
February 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I pronounce it as You-No-Vah based on how I pronounce the acronym, USA. Although, now I'm getting used to pronouncing it to how it is said in TV adverts and the Anime.
On the other hand, everyone pronounces everything in their own way based on how they interpret the word themselves so I wouldn't go screaming at someone if they didn't say Unova properly...

conesorcups
February 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
You-No-vah is how I pronounce it. Un-No-Vah is just kinda weird, but it depends on preference. It's like that tomato tomata thing :)

February 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Lol it's Tomato, Tomatoe not Tomata xD
Anyways I still think that it's pronounced You-no-va like the commercial narrator says...

soϲks
February 28th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I usually pronounce everything wrong, but I'm fairly confident that you-no-va is the way to go with this. It just feels more right than the other pronunciations.

MrGriszell
March 1st, 2011, 12:23 AM
i usesd to say it isshu lol no but really i thought it was youuuuuunnnoooooova. but i guess the correct way of saying is alright

lamby101
March 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
You-no-vah doesn't sound right. I think it should be Un-no-va but to be honest I'm not too bothered, it won't affect my enjoyment of the game :)

Andrew McKenzie
March 4th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I highly doubt something spelt as UNOVA would be pronounced as "un-oh-va"

"You-no-va" just seems right in my mind.

And usually words like these don't pronounce the "u" and "n" together unless it's words like: "unless" and "unforetunate".

"You-no-va" sounds better to me so I'll call it that.

travisjb1990
March 19th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I pronounce it You-Na-Va. That is how they say it on the show and in commercials so that is how I pronounce it.

MeerFall
March 19th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I always called it U-nov-ee-ah

so i have no idea :S

Aimseed
March 19th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I've always thought it was you-no-va.

Mujahid
March 19th, 2011, 02:38 AM
It's from UNited states OV America right ?..So it should we You-no-va.."U" should be pronounced as in "United"

Binary
March 19th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I don't know. Un-No-Vah sounded right to me all this time.
Well I guess I'm going to start saying You-Nee-Vah or something. :/

Bluerang1
March 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM
They actually say U-no-va in the Anime. They say it the same as most of us but we stretch out the "no" where as they say it quickly.

We say: U-know-va
Anime: U-no-va

See the difference? xD

Giratina ♀
March 19th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I've been saying it you-NO-vah.

Pokemon Master Derrville
March 19th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I say it how it is in the cartoon... "You-na-vah" but before that I was always saying it like "You-nova".

Honest
March 19th, 2011, 08:10 AM
For me, it's You-Know-Va... I really haven't heard any other pronunciations.

Himechi
March 19th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I always pronounce it u-no-va (oo-know-vah).

Eurydice
March 19th, 2011, 08:29 AM
i say it u-know-va or however they pronounced it in the gamestop ads in the store. i hate how they pronounce it in the anime...sounds stupid

Yusshin
March 19th, 2011, 09:46 AM
It's You-no-va.

Based on English grammar, and assuming it follows the normal rules, the vowel+consonant+vowel+consonant+vowel pattern (U-N-O-V-A) produces three long vowels ("U" and "O") and a short vowel ("A"). Therefore, the "N" not followed by another consonant forces the "U" to be pronounced as "You". Similarly, the "V" not being preceeded or succeeded by another consonant forces the "O" to be pronounced as "O" and not "Aw" or "Oo" (only when two "O"s are stuck together does an "O" produce the "oo~" sound).

The "A", being the final letter and no consonant or vowel present afterwards, causes the region's name to end in a short vowel - "Ah" and not "Eh".

You see this pattern in all words in English, except controversial ones based on accents in different countries and regions.

"Battle" is pronounced "Bah-tul" for the same reason. The three consonants after the "A" forces it to be pronounced as "Ah" and not "Eh". The final letter, "E", is short and pronounced as "Euh" instead of "Ee".

"Cool" has two of the same vowels side-by-side, producing the long sound of "Oo". If the word was spelt "Col", it would be the short sound - "Uh" - instead of "Oo" due to being succeeded by a consonant. However, if the word was spelt "Cole", the "O" would again be a long sound - "Oo" - due to the following consonant ("L") being followed by the vowel "E". No letter follows the "E", thus it retains a short sound - "Euh".

When two vowels collide, it forces the first one to be long, and the second to be short, unless the vowels are the same. Examples:

Italian
Dictionary

Italian is pronounced "Ee-tal-ee-an". The "I" is long due to the following "T" being a lone consonant. The first "A" is short due to the following consonant+2(vowel) combo. The "I" is long ("Ee") while the second vowel, "A", is short ("Ah").

Dictionary is pronounced "Deuh-ctee-uh-nair-ee". The "I" at the beginning is short due to being followed by two consonants - "C" and "T" respectively - while the second "I" is long due to being followed by the short vowel, "O". The "A" produces a long sound due to being surrounded by one consonant before it, and one after it. The "Y" in this case is a vowel, and produces an "Ee" sound for it is at the end of this word in particular.

Every word requires a vowel. "Why" is an example of when a "Y" acts as a vowel. Rather than being a long vowel and producing "Ee" like in "dictionary", it produces the short vowel of "Eye" due to the "WH" preceeding it.

Some words that are disputed are "Apple", "Tomato", and "Potato". Following grammar and not regional accents, the correct pronunciation of the word "Apple" is "Ah-pull" (due to three consonants following the "A"). However, the latter two are controversial. Neither "Toe-may-toe" nor "Toe-mah-toe" follow the basic rules of pronunciation (vowel & consonant combinations), thus why it is a disputed matter.

Homonyms are also tricky. "Dove" (white bird) and "Dove" (past tense of "to dive") are spelt the same, mean different things, and are pronounced differently. Neither are pronounced as "Doo-veh"; respectively, they're pronounced "Duh-veh" and "Doh-veh". In the result of a homonym, one of them doesn't respect the rules, while the other does. Like mentioned earlier, the longer sound of "O" ("Oo") only occurs when two of this vowel are stuck together side-by-side. This is not the case. The result should be "Doh-veh", based on the rules, which leaves the first word, meaning the white bird, as the one that doesn't follow the rules ("Duh-veh"). Just like in every language, similar rules apply for pronunciation, and you subconsciencely recognize them when reading, writing, and saying words.

Since "Unova" is a term created in fiction, and is not a homonym of an existing rule, it should follow the basic pronunciation rules of the English language since it's intended for an English audience. Thus why the most logical answer would be "You-no-vah" and not anything else.

I've heard the region name changes per language, thus why I mention the English rules rather than others. Someone mentioned in the Italian version, the region is named Unima. This would therefore be pronounced based on their rules, and not those of the English language.

There's always exceptions, though, and since it's fictional, you can pronounce it how you want. If you want to use the most logical pronunciation, though, then "You-no-va" is the way to go.

Barn
March 19th, 2011, 10:09 AM
When I'm reading the word, my mind says, "You-no-vah" but when I say it out loud it usually comes out as "You-nuh-vah." I say it kind of fast so that must be why.

Hikamaru
March 22nd, 2011, 04:48 AM
Unova - "You-No-Vah" the Region featured in Pokemon Black and White. Home to 156 new Pokemon.

tjb90
March 22nd, 2011, 06:08 AM
I pronounce it You-Na-Va because that is what they say on the show.

XXIII
March 22nd, 2011, 06:47 AM
Isn't it pronounced You-No-Vah by The Pokemon Company/Nintendo?

bwburke94
March 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
By now, it's basically been decided as YOU-no-va, but the apparent origin of the region name suggests OO-no-va (from the Spanish "uno") or possibly oo-NO-va (to make it sound like an English term rather than foreign.)

Sabrewulf238
March 22nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
My pronounciation is like a mixture of those two options:

You-no-vah

FuRrY321
March 25th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Just like Arceus, how I used to say "Ar-seeus" before watching The Jewel of Life, now I must correct my way of saying Unova.

All of my friends and I pronounce it "Uh-no-vah", or "Ah-no-va," but seeing as how apparently the anime pronounces it "You-no-va" I must force myself to change it (I can't stand being considered to be in the wrong...)

I really don't know, I don't watch the anime anymore, as IMO the quality has dropped, but I still watch the movies (those are still excellent).

The Nightmare
March 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I say "Uh-no-vah" which makes it sense for me.

Woobat
March 25th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Ever since the name was revealed I've said it "You-no-vah" and that's the only one that makes since to me, but I guess everyone can pronounce it how they prefer.

D0N3GAN
March 26th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I say it as I've always thought it was.
You-Nov-Ah

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
March 29th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I pronounce it as You-nah-va, I know that its wrong, but there are different ways to prounce English words, so this is one of those "words"

:t354:TG

Hibaru
March 30th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Yup, its Un-No-Vah (maybe). But hear that name made me think that the name Isshu is way more better for me to hear. I love the name Isshu more than this, Un-No-VAAAAAH!

Virgilia
March 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
You-No-Vah.

And you all seem to be like "It's not You-No-Vah, the narrator said it wrong". Well, someone must have told them how to pronounce it, huh? So I guess it's gotta be You-No-Vah.