PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Was the name change needed? (Isshu > Unova)

Forever
February 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Since a few people jumped at the chance to reply to the recently revived thread on this, I thought I might as well ask what people thought now.

As you may know, Unova is named "Isshu" in Japan, and what most of us who were around a few months ago called the region. When it was announced that Isshu would become Unova, many fans had a negative reaction.

When comparing Unova to other regions, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, only a few letters have changed between English and Japanese, unlike Isshu > Unova, which is a complete change and is said to represent the USA by its name. Adding to that, Unova has different names in a variety of languages that aren't just one letter change, either. I'm not entirely sure whether in previous games the names completely changed for other languages, but in this region it changed for almost every language.

Do you think it was a good idea for the Unova region to have a completely different name to what it is in Japan (Isshu)? Do you think keeping name consistency between different languages matters?

Also! Which do you prefer: Isshu or Unova?

(Remember, discussing how Unova is pronounced goes in this thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=242777))

GlitchCity
February 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM
When comparing Unova to other regions, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, only a few letters have changed between English and Japanese, unlike Isshu > Unova, which is a complete change and is said to represent the USA by its name.
Keeping the name consistency between the language doesnt matter to me. I like it that it's Unova. It adds on to the uniqueness to the region. But I have to say, Unova was not expected. But then again that applies to everything in Black and White xD

Dillon_68
February 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Unova sounds cool, I don't have an isshu with the name. XD

Lui++
February 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I don't really have a problem with Unova, but chances are I am going to keep calling it Isshu for a while.

Nateon
February 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I prefer Isshu to Unova, to me it sounds like they're saying 'and heres yet another place for our pokemon games'

Ferraligator
February 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I like the name change :) sounds cool!

PlatinumDude
February 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I was happy that Isshu was changed to Unova. Because of this, I prefer Unova over Isshu.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
February 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I agree with you two, I like the name change so I think it was a good step the translators took :)

Kamitsure-chan
February 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I actually like Unova. It's clear that the games don't take place in anywhere remotely near the other regions, so it makes sense that the region's English name is vastly different compared to the others.

The Red Chain
February 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Do you think it was a good idea for the Unova region to have a completely different name to what it is in Japan (Isshu)?
Initially I thought the name change was really stupid, but then came the theory for {Un}ited States of {ov} Americ{a}. That's extremely clever. :D

Do you think keeping name consistency between different languages matters?
No, not really. As long as there is inspiration behind a name, I don't mind either way. :3

I don't have a preference, they both have their charms.

Regeneration
February 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I preferred the name Isshu over Unova. Isshu has no issues with it's pronunciation.
And it's just a name, so I don't care much about it.

TheUnown
February 9th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Well personally I like when things are consistent so compared to like Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, it would've been nice if they kept Isshu to kind of follow that trend. However, Unova is pretty unique itself. I guess I have no preferences of one over the other since they both sound appealing ^^;

King Gumball
February 9th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Do you think it was a good idea for the Unova region to have a completely different name to what it is in Japan (Isshu)?
I hated it at first, I thought it was unneeded and I was so used to calling it Isshu. But now, like all pokemon names, I have gotten over it and I love it now XD It makes perfect sense re naming it to Unova, considering this region is like a new start after Hoenn.

Do you think keeping name consistency between different languages matters?
No... I guess not. I mean I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be called You-No-Va because it is an English name and that is how Americans/australians/ english should be saying it. But the Europeans saying differently is fine, because it makes sense in their culture.

.... Oh God.... Honestly, I can't decide. Ask me several months ago it would have been Isshu hands down... but now I can't choose XD They are both awesome names <3

~Ryukaa
February 9th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I prefer Unova over Isshu, really. xD;
Anyway, I don't really see the problem in it.
When Unova, I saw the Uno, which was meant to be similar to the I, in Isshu. So yeah, it was a bit of a pleasant surprise. xD;

johnkapid
February 9th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Unova sounds cool, It really separates the 5th gen from all other regions.

Azure
February 9th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I Did like Isshu, I got used to calling it that, but now Unova is starting to settle and I think it's a good name

Forever
February 9th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Just added a poll.
/should've done that before

I prefer Unova now actually. I liked Isshu but it just seems weird now. Plus Christmas in Isshu wouldn't have worked that well.

SukoSuNa
February 9th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I really like the name Unova.
And I didn't really care for Isshu, I never knew if it was pronounced "Is-u", "Is-who" or "Issue".

Also Nova means new. Which is what the whole game is based upon. The new region is said to be very different from all the others.

I don't think its that much of a deal though its not like it makes a difference.

NejiForce
February 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I think Isshu is cool I liked it from the begin when I hear the translated names~.~
(German Einall and US Unova)

bobandbill
February 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM
When it was announced that Isshu would become Unova, many fans had a negative reaction.To be honest, every name change, including for every region that has had one no mattr how minor, has had negative reactions from people. I remember the outburst at Sinnoh's for instance - nothing new there. =p

Also I feel something that warrents mention is that Isshu meant 'one variety' or somesuch. Looking at Unova - Uno for one and va for variety! It isn't that random a change at all when you look at it from that perspective.(And that's ignoring the similiarity to United States of America in the name as well, although that's less fitting within Unova itself as the former).

Zhinc
February 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I liked it when the regions had basically the same name. Also, I like Isshu more because it sounds funny. It made me laugh when I first heard the name for the region. (:

Bluerang1
February 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Wait a second, Unova keeps the "o" sound pattern for the regions which is great, unlike Isshu.

I'm not phased by changing the name but I'd prefer if they kept Isshu but Unova is great!

I don't have a preferrence, they're both great names. Even though I hated it when I first saw it, as I was so used to Isshu, I am now leaning slightly more towards Unova since I've gotten used to it.

Great.

SukoSuNa
February 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
If you say Unova really slow it sounds sexy. ;D

Cherrim
February 9th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Isshu is kind of hard/awkward to say for non-Japanese speakers. :| There's a little hitch in it between the S's and I hate that. (It's not just pronounced issue.) So I have no problem with the change and I actually like the English name better.

Perrie ✿
February 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Depending on how Unova is pronounced I may very well favor Isshu. atm it's 50/50

Pronouncing both names can be a bother for a few people; but it's quite easy to get the hang of, I just say how it sounds, no one else hear's it so what the Hey! 8D

GF had to change the name because if they didn't it would be a sin D8

Haowakeorden
February 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I didn't really care.

We wouldn't be able to change the translation decision no matter what Game Freak/Nintendo did, and there would be loud protesting voices either way.

olih
February 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Isshu should have stayed as Isshu.

RivalGator
February 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I dislike how they have to change names and worry about that crap... But I do like Unova better than Isshu. Unova just sounds better to me... Rolls off the tongue a lot better. (I don't think name changes are ever needed, but that's just me. I will call it whatever I like best, whatever I hear the most or whatnot.)

Relith
February 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I was in love with Isshu, TBH, but then Unova came out and I was like 'wtf?' so, it was a weird change..

Sabrewulf238
February 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I like Isshu slightly more than Unova, however I've gotten used to Unova now I think it's a fairly decent name.

I still voted Isshu though.

darkpokeball
February 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
At first, "Isshu" was just another name. Isshu was just like Kanto, Sinnoh, Johto, Hoenn...kind of like, meh, just another region name. WHen Unova came out, I had no clue about it until I preordered the game. Although, I prefer Unova. Isshu sounds like...well...people playing the game have issues. Kind of like how Guardian Signs, "Oblivia" sounded like oblivion, as if everything was going to be blasted into Oblivion(which Dolce Island was...but anyways...)

Porygon Z
February 10th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I like Unova, but I don't think the change name was needed.
Also, I found out that in my Italian version (IDK if it will be for all European games) the region will be Unima.

vaporeon7
February 10th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I prefer Isshu. I got used to it and it sounds better to me.I don't know why they changed it.

Kaori
February 10th, 2011, 04:13 AM
My first impression on the change of name from Isshu to Unova was more questioning; why would they differ the region name from the Japanese version in this generation specifically and why now? Isshu was a great name, and I enjoyed making the lame puns for it. However, Unova wasn't half bad as I had looked at it. It still has a pun within either way (Unova know what's gonna happen) but aside from all the lame puns for it, Unova has meaning. You can't really image/get a feeling of Isshu whereas with Unova, you get the meaning of a nova (star) and the idea of { United States of America }. The name represents the fact that the region is based off of New York more than Isshu gives you that message too, and so I do believe the name change was needed so long as it was good, and that it was.

PiPVoda
February 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I prefer Isshu, to be honest. I have no problem with Unova but it's just drastically different. I think the name will grow on me, but Isshu sounds more unique to me than Unova--which seems stale in creativity.

daigonite
February 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I honestly don't care that much. I mean, they change the name of pretty much every other aspect of the game...

fenyx4
March 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Do you think it was a good idea for the Unova region to have a completely different name to what it is in Japan (Isshu)? Do you think keeping name consistency between different languages matters?

(Remember, discussing how Unova is pronounced goes in this thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=242777))

At first I was a bit against, but then I delved into the many meanings that Unova is layered with. "United States of America", "one new/new one", "star explosion", "one/new egg", "no go (humorously in Spanish)", something with the Greek letter gamma (I'll repost the "gamma" finding here if I can scour for it later; busy with the process of hunting Deerling right now). Not to mention the various puns accompanying Unova that seem to be the equivalent of Isshu's "issue", "tissue", and "Best Wishes" puns. "Unova know what you might find", "s-Unova _____", etc.
Plus, "Unova" retains the traditional "O" sound and doesn't sound as Japanese as "Isshu" does.

I prefer keeping consistency among languages so that original meanings can be preserved, but in this case, I guess the changes were a little warranted from Japanese to English. I felt every region except the Spanish-speaking ones could have kept "Unova", though. Teselia was a nice way to avoid Unova's construed "no go" meaning...though I figure even Unova could be used in Spanish just as Dialga (reminiscent of word for algae in Spanish) was. As long as the more positive English and Latin meanings are more prominent, it shouldn't be too much of a problem... :\

Personally, I've now become accustomed to and even prefer Unova over Isshu (I mean, even when I first heard and liked "Isshu", I anticipated that calling a region the exact same thing as a homophone to "issue" and not that far from "tissue" would have been a bit weird...).

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
March 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
At first I was like ARGH but I've gotten used to it now - I really like Unova :) I actually think of it more as Unova now than Isshu :)

Eurydice
March 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
i like unova so im glad they didnt stick stick with isshu. i just wish they prounounced it differently in the anime

Notworking15
March 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
it was called Isshu? I always knew it as Unova, its what is most familiar to me, so i'd rather stick with it

Sasuke.
March 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
.____.; I like Unova better.

Hikamaru
March 19th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I love the name Unova. It comes from USA (being based on America) and Nova (meaning new, referring to Black & White's "restarting" of the Pokemon Series). Isshu (the Japanese name) just doesn't have a ring to it.

I watched the BW anime and I found that Unova is pronounced "You-No-Va"

Yusshin
March 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Unova has isshus.

Had to rofl

I personally like Isshu better, though.

I watched the BW anime and I found that Unova is pronounced "You-No-Va"

If that wasn't obvious enough of a pronunciation, following English grammar, than I will facepalmz.

lamby101
March 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Probably not, I actually prefer the name Isshu to Unova. I haven't got a real reason for this, it just sounds like a better name, I'm not really a fan of the name Unova.

Dark Piplup
March 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I don't think the change was necessary. Though as I like patterns, with the name Unova keeps all regions with the letter O.

Hamilton
March 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I personally don't care what the name is... though i am mad that all my puns are pretty much dead now...... (i mean really, uknowva, what's the big isshu?)

Zorua
March 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM
No, I don't really care about the name changes at all. :D; In fact, Unova has a nice ring to it!

Air Pichu
March 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
At first I liked the idea of the name of Isshu, but until I heard about the new region being Unova, I liked Unova more, and now I think of Isshu as to being like "this region has many issues with it".

Skymin
March 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I like Unova better actually. Not the pronouciation I've heard on TV though (Uno [like the card game]-va), I say Oo-nova. Or Yew-nova. Whatever.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
March 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I think Isshu is better than Unova. Because I got used to it. XP

Charmageddon
March 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I voted yes. Well it wasn't needed, but I like the new name.

Kendosis
March 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Unova sounds a lot better.

Perrie ✿
March 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I actually preferred Isshu, but over time I got to like Unova, then I heard the pronunciation for Unova and went of the name completely and went back to Isshu, then actually heard the pronunciation on the Anime and went back to it :3 Madness, sheer madness. :D

hausofarmond
March 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I personally prefer Unova, because when I read Isshu in my head I say "Issue" :P

G.U.Y.
March 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Yes, because people saying "Do you have an Isshu with Isshu?" despite the fact that Isshu is not pronounced like "issue" really annoyed me.

King Gumball
March 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I voted Neutral. I don't really care now if it w as changed or not, I love both names. I would be happy if it were still Isshu but Unova sounds really cool.

Advertisements on TV keep calling it Un-a-Va though @_@