PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Radio and TV commercials

Otter Mii-kun
February 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I know threads like these have appeared before, and they've all died... but list the radio and TV commercials that annoy you or just plain hate.

TV

All prescription drug ads, especially Lipitor, Crestor, Celebrex, Stelara, and the like.
All of these structured settlement payout companies, including Peachtree, J.G. Wentworth, Imperial, and Novation Capital (yes, I know everybody's desperate for money in this bad economy)
All of these "technical institutes" and other private higher education institutions, such as Ross Medical Education Center, Everest Institute,, and especially Brookline College (why do they always have to run two different commercials from this institution always back to back?)
Idzior Furniture (a furniture store just north of Pinconning, MI)
Anything from McDonalds
Check into Cash (and other similar payday advance and check-cashing places)
All of these law firms advertising about impending drug lawsuits.
5 Hour Energy
MoneyMutual
All of these "government-assisted cellphone" services (SafeLink, ReachOut, Assurance, etc.)
FreeScore.com, especially the one where this car dealer checks this young man's credit and finds a bad score.
Medical Weight Loss
All of these ads promoting life insurance and supplemental Medicare insurance

Radio

Northern Michigan Medical Marijuana
Business Trade Exchange

Ayselipera
February 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I love the 5 hour energy commercials! Especially the one where the guy gets out of bed for work and gripes to himself. Reminds me of my own morning experiences. :D

I only listen to the radio on my way to and from school and that period of time is usually radio commercial free so I can't think of any at the moment.

As for TV, I hate the Progressive commercials. They're so unfunny. :( Not to mention the lady Flo is extremely odd looking to me. I really can't place which animal she looks like yet, but it's something hideous. Plus the purple headband and red lipstick outfit they always have her wearing bothers me more than anything. It just doesn't go!

Also I can't stand the commercial of little babies sleeping while Silent Night plays in the background. I think it might be a diaper commercial, but I'm not positive about that. I've always found little babies to be gross in some weird way and on top of that I feel like that commercial is a good two minutes long of just baby close ups. It feels like forever. ;o;

The only other commercial I can think of is the new baby Gerber commercials where the lady at the end will say, "The Gerber Generation." Something about it makes me cringe. I'm guessing it must be her voice. D:

Serperior
February 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Weight loss commercials annoy me. Seriously, do they want a cookie or something?

Also, OP should refrain from watching TV if she hates every single type of commercial.

Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog
February 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Adverts don't really get to me much, I really mostly notice the ones I like.

But I do dislike those that want you to donate to animal shelters, because the animals look sad and they play sad sounding music, and then they talk about the animals not having much time to live. ;_; I just don't like them because they're making me feel guilty about not donating to them, even though I totally would if I had any money.

Eliminator Jr.
February 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I think anybody from Melbourne would agree with me that the most annoying radio ad ever is "HELLLLLOOOOOOO, FRRAAANK WALLTERRR FROM NATIONAL TILEEEESS".

As for television ads, the most annoying are probably just the infomercials or the ads for Glee or something. I don't really have a particular one that gets to me more than others.

Saryka
February 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM
HEAD ON, APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD.

...Annoys me to no end. Seriously, we heard you the first time, you don't need to repeat yourself eighty billion more times.

I don't like Proactiv commercials, either; especially the ones with Avril Lavigne and Justin Bieber. Maybe it's because I've seen far too many of them in my lifetime, but every time one comes on, I switch the channel to something else. XD;

I don't listen to the radio often enough to single out a particular advertisement that I don't like.

The Corrupt Plague
February 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I have a special hatred for the computer scams that prey on people who are technologically inexperienced. I mean really, since these are still going around, people are still getting duped and just one is too many. It should be common sense to read independent reviews before you download anything. FinallyFast? Ha! More like Finally Slow!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
February 17th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Progressive Insurance

Nutrisystem

Proactiv

Prescription drug commercials when they list EVERY SIDE EFFECT. Why do we need to know these side effects if we're not the ones taking the stuff?

Any of those "As Seen on TV" products with "And we'll double your offer! Get two and just pay separate shipping!"

Those new McDonald's Happy Meal commercials that have the look and feel of a bad acid trip

Anything with Anthony Sullivan

Captain Fabio
February 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I don't know what it is, but I have been listening to some American rock radio shows and the adverts are the most annoying things in the world. ALL OF THEM! Well, the ones I have listened to anyway.

I don't know how you guys put up with them. O_o

jab2033
February 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Geico. They really need some new material.

"Could 15 minutes save you 15% or more on car insurance? [Insert second obvious question here]"

The only one I really like is the drill sargent/therapist one.

PlatinumDude
February 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I hate those commercials that interrupt other commercials right in the middle (for instance, a Colgate commercial interrupts a commercial featuring a TV show).

Anti
February 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM
The "Here We Go" Bug Light ads are pretty annoying. Oh cool, let's insert a slacker/beer freak/couch potato guy and have some stupid gimmick where they will do anything to enjoy some Bud Light. If these were funny, of course I wouldn't mind, but usually they're drawn out and stupid. Beer ads have gradually gotten worse over the years imo.

Besides that, not a whole lot. Usually I watch recorded shows so I get to skip ads. Sadly, watching live sports can get a little obnoxious. Especially since a lot of beer ads come on during games...

Oh, LeBron's ad, though I haven't seen it much, is just stupid. I mean the one where he's like "what should I do?" blah blah blah. We get it, you're upset that everyone is upset at you. Aren't ads supposed to try to sell you something? x_x

.Fenris
March 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
I don't know why, but that little blond 'cool' kid in Toyota's commercials annoys me to death. Or better yet, those 'Swagger Wagon' raps, NOONE IS GOING TO LIKE MINIVANS! SO GET OFF MAH TV!

-Jared-
March 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I don't know why, but that little blond 'cool' kid in Toyota's commercials annoys me to death.

UGH! I hate those, that kid (or rather, the character) is a brat! I can't stand those commercials, partially because he is so annoying, and partially because anytime it comes on, my parents complain about it, which makes them even more annoying. -__-

Aside from that, commercials that are really noisy tend to annoy me. I know a lot of them are, but I am, talking mainly the ones that try to be REALLY NOISY, like commercials for action movies, or ones that use loud music. It makes me want to mute the channel. XD

Silver Soul of Johto
March 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Marine land commercials every time I go to Canada. The same jingle for practically 15 years. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh *explodes*

WriteThemWrong
March 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
geico commercials anyone? i'm not your daddy i'm your grandpa.

Mr Cat Dog
March 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Almost anyone with a television in the UK will probably express unreserved vitriol at the GoCompare series of commercials shown on TV (and now on radio as well). For those unfamiliar, the basic premise of each advertisement is to have a benign scenario about people wanting to change their car insurance, only to be interrupted by an opera singer who proceeds to make inanimate objects start humming along sycophantically to his derivative, irritating jingle. They always end with a pun so bad, not even Bruce Vilanch would think of them.

So... yeah. That's my vitriol unreservedly expressed!

mondays suck
March 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM
None of you probably ever had to see/hear this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB59N3A4WNg) commercial,but I did plenty of times. It's annoyingness and commonness are so extreme, they earned the commercial an almost memetic status here. This makes it slightly less annoying, but still, aaargh. Kill whoever created it with fire.

Ice Car
March 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
HEAD ON. APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD. HEAD ON. APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD. *Headdesk* *Headdesk* *Headdesk*

Galukxy
March 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I think the only commercials I can not stand at all are the Go compare ones and the ones were they advertise for shows such as ones based on Teen aged girls that have to look after children of about 2 or younger.

The reason I don't like the Go compare adverts or that I find them annoying because well, would you like it if some obese looking man started singing like an opera singer come on your Television and start bouncing around singing this catchy song that will be stuck in your head? I certainly wouldn't. Hence, why I find it irritating or in other words annoying. "Go Compare,
Go Compare,
When in doubt check them out go Compare,
(Dog barks 2x)
With just a few clicks save your spondoliks and you'll thank your stars that you went to go compare,
Lady: Good sound system.
(Man nods)
Yes you'll thank your stars that you went to go compare."

and for the Teen aged girls looking after their kids ads/commercials. I find it annoying because all these Girls do is whine about how miserable their lives are and how noisy their kids are. A simple thing I would usually say when those type of advertisements come up on TV is that "Simple, love. Don't have kids; if you can't be up for it."

and those are the only adverts/ commercials I find annoying.

Anti
March 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
March Madness has seriously been ruined by the NAPA know how ad. (Just Youtube search 'NAPA know how' and prepare to feel great pain.) It seriously sets western civilization back about 300 years. I...I'm just a little speechless. You have to see it to comprehend its sheer horror. I seriously don't know who thought a crappy country music song was a good commercial idea.

Eпvy
March 25th, 2011, 06:45 AM
We have this airport parking here called "Fine Airport Parking" and they have commercials on the radio like every commercial break. They play two in a row. They've used the same commercials for like a year now. There was actually a time where they took them off and I was like "Thank God" but then they were back, and they weren't even new!

There are tons of other annoying commercials as well, but that one is the worst at the moment.

I haven't seen any really bad ones on TV since Head-On.

HemlockLegend
March 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I hate the proactiv commercials, anything with bieber in it (except the best buy one). I LOVE Billy Mays commercials.

jonicito
March 30th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Shows that I don't like, Justin Bieber or other bad singers, drug warning, college commericals in Teennick, and commericals with too mature stuff.

jcsimpson
March 31st, 2011, 05:42 AM
"CALL 1-800-267-2001! ALARM FORCE!"

"Alarm force is listed on the TSX"

That is the most annoying for me.

Kirozane
March 31st, 2011, 06:57 AM
Insurance commercials... they try too hard. I'll admit I thought they were good at first but the ideas they use have been done... and done... and done.. and done again. New material please....

Also, this one spans both categories... COMMERCIALS WITH SONGS THAT GET STUCK IN MY HEAD... Honestly.. they make me wanna bash my head in....
"More funrniture for less, at Moooooooor!
At Mor there's more, than you've ever seen before
More than any other store!" *headdeskheaddesk*

For a video example of songs that get stuck in my head....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFFYROOMG10

Honestly, I haven't seen this commercial very often but after the second time the song was stuck in my head... and it bothered me oh so much.

And (I'm pretty sure these are local where I live) the Grover's Electric and plumbing.... *shudder* So bad...

Better yet, does anyone know of the zamzow's commercials on the radio? The background music/voice volume ratio is WAAAY off...

And (probably another local one) Gary's Electric. I think they're gone now but the guy seemed like a total creeper....
"♫At Gary's electric we'll rewire homes for you.♪ HI!"