PDA

View Full Version : Musical instruments?

Miss Doronjo
February 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Soooooo...is there any musical instruments you guys played before? Is there any you are playing currently? Is there any you would like to play?

I play the used to play the recorder at grade 5; and entered the band there. :3 I'm currently playing the saxophone, because I have a love for jazz. <3 What I would like to play is the base guitar; because right now, I'm trying to see if I could learn that. :3

Absola
February 18th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I used to play the recorder too, but I then switched to the piano.

Also, I want to learn to play the guitar because I have one but can't play on it.. :)

Eliminator Jr.
February 18th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I play guitar, bass guitar, drums and the piano.

Piano I started when I was five and stopped when I was twelve, so I'm not as good as I was but I can still learn music and play it well enough providing it's not incredibly hard.

I started teaching myself guitar when I was twelve, and about a month ago I started getting lessons, mainly because over the past six years I've been happy with my skill level (like when I'm in a band I can play what needs to be played) but now I want to start playing jazz guitar at wineries to make some extra money and I don't consider myself that good to do it yet.

Bass guitar was pretty easy to pick up after playing the guitar, because it's pretty much just the top four strings of the guitar except thicker. Again, self taught, but I don't know how to do slap bass or anything, mainly because I think the style's a bit obnoxious (I actually prefer playing bass in bands to guitar because it's in the background and subtle). To give an idea of where I'm at, the most complex thing I've played is Hysteria by Muse, so I'm definitely not amazing at bass but I can play the sort of bass lines that are in most genres.

Drum kit I started just before I turned thirteen after inheriting an old drum kit that used to belong to my uncle. I'm self taught and out of all the instruments I'm probably most confident on drums, although again there are many better players. I usually play unaware of how I'm playing if that makes sense - like a skilled drummer would know exactly which hand would be hitting which drum whenever they do a beat or a fill, whereas I just play whatever sounds good.

Alternative
February 18th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Soooooo...is there any musical instruments you guys played before? Is there any you are playing currently? Is there any you would like to play?

I play the used to play the recorder at grade 5; and entered the band there. :3 I'm currently playing the saxophone, because I have a love for jazz. <3 What I would like to play is the base guitar; because right now, I'm trying to see if I could learn that. :3
Are you trying to copy me fool?
Anyway, in the past when I was in grade 5, I played the guitar, for about 2 years in grade 8-10 I played the Saxophone with some keyboard on the side, and I tried out Bass Guitar for a while, which I loved, but I wasn't really into learning with a teacher, so I quit that.

I've had goes at playing Drums, Piano, Radio and Piano-Accordian before as well. :D

Alinthea
February 18th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Grade 5 in theory & playing on Piano.
Self taught guitar and drums.

And I can sing! XD

shadowmoon
February 18th, 2011, 06:58 AM
i only play one...the violin...

started in 4th grade.

you guys are so lucky, learning all those different instruments

JeXsus™
February 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I can play guitar and every now and again I go out by the train station (Because I live in New York ^_^) And just play to the people who have a rough morning. And I tend to make a little money on the side. ;)

ShinyMeowth
February 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I played the guitar for 7 years, but I got bored of it and stopped. I recently started playing the piano, and got bored this time too. But instead of giving up, I thought of simply jacking up the difficulty, by playing harder and harder pieces. It worked out, and I'm now working on the 3rd movement of Beethoven's moonlight sonata, after just 5 months from my first lesson. I also thought that perhaps that was what caused me to give up on the guitar, so I gave it another chance, this time going for a transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. I simply loved it, and so I am now working on both pieces, on both instruments.

Saryka
February 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I've been playing the piano since I was six and it's pretty much the only instrument I'm good at. I bought this guitar when I was ten, tried learning it on numerous occasions to no avail, and gave up multiple times. XD I just can't grasp it, I guess. Two Christmases ago, I got a violin from my parents because I've always wanted to play, and I haven't played it in a loooong time, but I'm grasping it a bit better than guitar. I'd love to get some violin lessons one day once I'm done with piano.

Sora
February 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM
When I was in Middle/High School, I was in Band (normal concert band for Middle School. Both Concert and Marching Band for High School). During those seven years, I played the Clarinet. I never became a really great player, but some of my fondest memories and best friends came from playing that darned instrument in the band. Other than that, I can only play simple songs on the piano (like 'Mary has a Little Lamb', 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' and so on and so forth).

Cassino
February 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I've tried and fail to see what's fun about music beyond listening.
I keep a harmonica I happened across, anyway; very simple thing.

Katalyst
February 18th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm currently trying to learn how to play guitar by myself, but I'm failing so far.

Amore
February 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I can play guitar...and saxophone...and the main piano riff from a certain song by Muse...

I have no grades in guitar, because I got messed around by my teachers, and when I got the chance to doing grades, the teacher wanted to change my style...which I refused to do. I do, however, have a Grade 2 in Saxophone. But I'm way above that level, I just never got round to doing more grades...

I want to learn piano though. Mainly because it's so versatile, like a non-portable guitar xD

Cooker
February 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM
In middle school I played the trumpet. In 6th grade I was just as crappy as everyone else. 7th grade I was average, I think I was always like 6th chair out of 10. Then in 8th grade I actually was pretty decent and was 4th chair all year long. Then came high school, and I started to completely fake playing the trumpet because I was lazy. I wish I would've kept playing it =P

zappyspiker
February 18th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I've played Piano since I was 5 and I'm still playing it now! I played Classical Music till I was 10 and Rock School Music till about now, Just changing to more modern now.
I started teaching myself guitar less than a year ago and I really enjoyed it - I want a new guitar soon.
I played Harmonica and Glockenspiel as well for 2-3 years XD

PlatinumDude
February 18th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I currently play the piano. I used to take drum lessons for some time while I was in the US.

Backup
February 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I've been playing trumpet for 7 years now. :D Awesome instrument.

I also taught myself how to play clarinet and the ocarina. :)

I've always wanted to play the piano ever since I was little. It's just so beautiful and you can play so much on it. ^^

I've also wanted to be able to play saxophone after joining the jazz band. Though trumpet parts are fun, the saxophone parts always seem so epic and bold.

And so today I was taking an algebra quiz in the commons area in my school and this kid was playing his violin the whooooole time (an hour) and playing epic songs from Pirates of the Caribbean and other coolieo songs.

I had never realized how beautiful it sounds and I had such a hard time concentrating on my quiz. I could have just put my head down and listened to that kid play. :)

I now have a burning desire to play the violin now. XD; I just love being able to play instruments.

Drekin
February 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I've been playing Alto/Tenor Saxophone for 8 years (6 years in school band) and it is my best instrument for sure. When I play it's usually songs from past band concerts or video game music. (memorized a few Super Mario themes :D )

I've had a crappy keyboard for a few years and a really good one for 5-6 years. I'm self-taught and I only know a few songs (mostly video game songs lol)

I also have a harmonica that I can play a few songs on. I've had it for a few months.

I really want to learn to play the guitar or a violin but I don't think I'll be able to get one for a long time.

Rai
February 18th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I played the Violin 3rd grade through my senior of high school. I stopped now that I'm at college, I don't really have time anymore.

Kyoko
February 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I can play a song on the guitar and piano :( gosh I wish I was more musically inclined than I am, I have such big hands too, everyone says they're meant to play piano!

I did however play the recorder in 4th grade, then from 5th-8th grade I played the oboe which was fun. I kinda miss it sometimes~

one day soon I'd like to pick up on the piano again and the harmonica since it's one of my favorite instruments :)

GirlieNinjaRose
February 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I know how to play the organ, piano, flute, guitar, and violin. It's fun! I'd like to know how to play drums, it seems cool.

비스트
February 21st, 2011, 04:21 PM
I play the violin and the piano ;A; 7 painful years out of my 13 years OTL
I really want to learn the guitar though

Haowakeorden
February 21st, 2011, 09:35 PM
For a short time (maybe two or three years) I played the recorder in elementary school.

Then in Grade 6 I learned trumpet for my school band. I stayed in the elementary and high school band until I graduated, and I still try to find time to play once in a while.

Axeliira
February 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM
Played the recorder in 4th grade. I was forced to do it. >_<

8th grade, I joined Band Class, and played the flute. I loved the flute, it was my best friend back then. I was going to sign up for Concert Band in high school, but the Band instructor denied me because I needed more practice. I wished I went back to it, though. :/

Dartht33bagger
February 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
I did recorder in third grade, then clarinet for 5th grade and some of 6th. Then I switched to tenor saxophone a few months into 6th and then played that from 6th-8th grade.

I was going to keep doing it into high school until I got there the first day and found out the band teacher at my high school was an old hard ass that was super into music. I mainly did music because it was fun and I didn't have to put a lot of effort into it since my middle school band teacher was awesome and we still won first in competitions. Never played an instrument after that first day, dropped the class the next day and sold the sax.

Zvezda
February 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
i play the piano and i can sing :)
i'd love to learn how to play the cello and violin.

Black Ice
February 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Aside from a bunch of random instruments I picked up because of music classes, I am pretty much piano only. I played guitar for a few years, but I just gave up because I didn't feel like I was going to get anywhere with it.

BBA_Beyblader_321
February 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM
The Drums!! Ah yeah!! I love keeping everything in beat, making it flow, and makin' some noise~!

donavannj
February 24th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I at one point knew how to play the clarinet, but I dropped band after two years of being in it. I also was in choir for much of my scholastic career, if the human voice counts as an instrument for the purposes of this thread. And I played the recorder in elementary school.

groteske
February 25th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Did the recorder thing in 4th grade, then violin and piano for a few years until I grew bored of both. Now I'm learning bass and (electric) guitar. I'd love to learn drums as well, but my hands can't move fast enough for what I'd want to do.

HinaBaby
February 25th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I used to play the piano, but I forgot to play it now due to the fact that the piano that I am playing was broken. And my dad didn't buy me one since then.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
February 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I can play the guitar and the piano :)

Eпvy
March 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
The "main" instruments I have played are bassoon and trumpet. I played trumpet for high school and before, and I have played bassoon for college.

I've learned piano in college, but honestly I'm not all of that great at it. It makes me sad. D:

Really, really, really want to learn tenor saxophone because I want to march again and trumpet just won't work for me anymore.

Heliotrope
March 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I played the piano throughout grade school, but never really was into any of the band instruments... just didn't interest me.

Now I play the bass guitar and sing, though... I love the bass guitar more than regular guitar. I've played both, but the feeeeel of the bass guitar just... has more soul.

Captain Hobo.
March 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I can play the recorder and I am pretty good at it:D

Vrai
March 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I played the sax for three or four years until I realized that I didn't enjoy playing it enough to overcome my hatred of the band director guy. :(

Eurydice
March 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
i played the recorder in grade school music class then i learned the flute and now i am learning the ocarina

King Of The Blues
April 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Don't know if this is the right place or nor but anyway.

Do you play any musical instruments?

As for me. I do. I play an electrical guitar. I haven't been able to play it as much as I would of liked though through a finger injury. (which is fine btw now.)

batmon
April 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I play guitar and a little bit of bass

But I haven't practiced either in awhile

moments.
April 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I'm a singer primarily, but I have a ukulele sitting there in my room which I'd like to learn properly!
I also wouldn't mind learning a tiny bit of drumming, just because I think I'd be good at keeping time and the coordination of it all.

Vahn
April 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Trumpet is my main instrument. I also played Baritone and I do know how to play piano, but I don't play it very well. I've been lead trumpet in every band that I have been in. :D I do sing, but not well enough to do it professionally.

PlatinumDude
April 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I play the piano primarily, but I used to take drum lessons.

Thomas
April 10th, 2011, 08:52 PM
The only thing I've ever tried to play is the piano. I've just taught myself over the years....not the best with reading sheet music, but I've never really taken the effort to really learn though...

King Gumball
April 10th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I play the clarinet, and have been for around seven years now. I started in primary :3 I'm not very passionate about it now though and only play it for the sake of playing it XD

Oryx
April 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I have an acoustic guitar that sits next to me in my room :3 I can also sing pretty alright as well, which I didn't know until a few months ago.

Mr Cat Dog
April 11th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I play piano, and I'm pretty good, but used to be a lot better. Technically been playing since I was 4-years-old, but stopped taking lessons about 5 years ago. Now I just improvise jazzy pieces and try to learn the occasional TV theme. (Current task: Murder, She Wrote!)

I've had one drum lesson, and can play a good rock beat... but that's about it for musical experience! Tried learning guitar but I just didn't take to it at all. I like to learn saxophone eventually, but I think that's slipping away with time. Shame...

NurseSerenity
April 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I play piano, violin and acoustic guitar. (・u・) I'm a singer. I loovee music!

Shake
April 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I play guitar, bass, and my voice. And I have been in mutiple bands metal bands!!

Lily
April 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Piano for all my life, planning on majoring with it. I think. I hope.

I try my best to sing but it often doesn't cut it.

TiTaN.JuStIn
April 17th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I know how to play Piano, Violin, Drums and Guitar. Recently, I stopped learning Violin and Guitar. It's very hard to learn and master four instruments at the same time. Also, I can sing. How about you, someone who is reading this thread?

NamelessGuy
April 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I sing and play guitar, viola, and the occasional harmonica and piano.

WhiteWizard
April 18th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I play the piano! orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I guess the keyboard.

FlyingHatTrick
April 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I play the clarinet and violin... maybe a bit of cello. I just fail at violin though. >_<'

FalconsDrummer
April 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
How have I not found this thread before? I'm actually a music student at a university, studying to be a music teacher. Specifically, my goal is to be a band director, but I intend to teach all kinds of classes and ensembles at various levels.

My primary instrument is percussion - drums, keyboard percussion, etc. I've also played piano since I was 6 years old, and that's really where I got my start to where I am today. As a Music Education student, I take classes where I learn to play pretty much all instruments (got to learn something before you can teach it!); so far, I can play trombone, tuba, baritone/euphonium, flute, clarinet, and saxophone. I also sing a little. So yeah . . . don't mean to brag or anything, but that's me! :P

Pokemon Trainer Touko
April 20th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I used to play the recorder, guitar, Viola and Cello. Now, I play the Piano, Violin and xylophone. And I am planning to learn the double bass and clarinet. :>

shenanigans
April 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have been playing guitar since I was 7, so nearly 10 years now. That's my main instrument. I never really had the money for lessons in it so I'm completely self-taught and in all honesty I think I've come on quite a way. I can play almost anything you give me now and I know a good amount of musical theory too, so it's pretty fun.

As a second instrument, I'm also learning keyboard. School have been awesome and given me free lessons, and it's coming along pretty well!

jira-chan
April 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM
My main instrument is the recorder (flute), since it was the instrument that Sir Ciloy had taught us in my previous school, and the one instrument I'm playing in the Campus Ministry in my current. xD But I do know some basic Piano and Guitar skills (though unfortunately for the Piano.. I can only do the right hand things they've been talking about?). I'm trying to learn how to play the Piano, but I never do quite get it. -_-

I really want to play the drums as well! :) My favorite instrument -- and mostly played in the Virtual Games department of the Music Corner in the arcade. xD I wanna play, even when it's virtual. :>

Binary
April 25th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not much of a musical person. But I've been playing the guitar for around two years and I think I'm pretty happy with the amount of progress I've made. Well, I can play better than some of my friends who have been playing for a lot longer than me. I only pick my guitar up once in a while these days though, which is a shame. Yeah, I should start strumming and picking again. >>

I want to learn how to play the drums and piano too.. which I will do sometime around this year, hopefully.

MegaSlowBro.
April 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I learned the recorder in 3rd grade, but only played it for a short while - it didn't interest me enough to keep going with it. I still remember the tunes though: Hot Cross Buns, Amazing Grace, Mary Had a Little Lamb...

Yep. :I

I took up orchestra in 6th grade though - still playing the violin to this day (that is...until my bridge needed replacing, still need to get a new one D:). I'm thinking about learning the cello and piano later on.

agentwaffle
April 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm learning bass guitar right now c:
but i learn so slowly D:

After this I'll eventually aim for upright bass...

But I need to focus on bass first >:D

Avey
April 28th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I've played guitar since I was ten and I took up piano this year. I've also been known to dabble with the harmonica and the ukulele but right now I'm feeling more curious towards synthesizers so I might pursue that during the Summer.

institutions
April 28th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I've played the guitar for 4 years. Honestly, though, I don't really like it.
I love solo guitar music and all of the incredible tones of the guitar, but it's not really what I want to play.
So i'm quitting.

I'd really like to learn how to play the Harmonica and the Saxophone.

Pekin
April 28th, 2011, 05:57 AM
How have I not found this thread before? I'm actually a music student at a university, studying to be a music teacher. Specifically, my goal is to be a band director, but I intend to teach all kinds of classes and ensembles at various levels.

My primary instrument is percussion - drums, keyboard percussion, etc. I've also played piano since I was 6 years old, and that's really where I got my start to where I am today. As a Music Education student, I take classes where I learn to play pretty much all instruments (got to learn something before you can teach it!); so far, I can play trombone, tuba, baritone/euphonium, flute, clarinet, and saxophone. I also sing a little. So yeah . . . don't mean to brag or anything, but that's me! :P

I had the exact same feeling when I came across this thread, hahah. I'm also studying to be a music teacher, and I had absolutely no idea there were so many musicians here! I don't feel like being a band director, but I would love to teach music to smaller children, teaching them different rhythms, playing together and just let them be creative. Stuff like that. :D

I've been studying music theory on my own for a long time, and I play self-taught piano, drums, harmonica and bass guitar. My main instrument is the guitar, which is also mostly self-taught. I've now been studying Music for one and a half year at a Danish Gymnasium, and I'm learning much more rapidly now! I wouldn't say I'm a wonderchild or a masterly, musical genius or anything, but I'm definitely skilled, (hahah) and I'll keep practicing 'til I die.

Demigod
May 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I play the electric guitar and I also plan to eventually play bass guitar.

Owl
May 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Played the recorder from 1-6th grade because it was mandatory for music class, and I played the guitar for 4 years (3rd-7th) before quitting music instruments altogether.

Kaori
May 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
→ Are there any musical instruments you guys played before?
Yes, and I have been since I was 7 years old.

→ Is there any you are playing currently?
I currently just like playing the piano, and have continued since when I've first started. Though I like singing all the time as well, but that's not an instrument, just my talent. ;)

→ Is there any you would like to play?
I definitely want to learn how to play the guitar. However I couldn't spend time practicing on one nor learning the chords and whatnot, when I don't even own one at the moment. :(

Maple Leaf
May 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Always had the interest for the drums and the piano, but never got around to doing anything.

I think that guitars are also cool, but I won't think about playing it. >_<

ElectricScyther
May 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Can't play any instruments, but I'd like to learn the drums though.

Unknown#
May 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I learned to play the guitar when I was 7, and even now I'll take it out and play it, though I haven't been able to lately.

My main (and favorite) instrument is the Cello. I learned to play it in the fifth grade and still play it to this day.

As for insturments I want to learn, I'd say the Piano. My parents have this nice one that my dad inherited and I've always wanted to be able to play it.

lx_theo
May 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I've played the Saxophone since middle school

Schmutz
May 15th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I don't know how anyone can play a viola, with that freaky alto clef you have to learn to read.

My two main instruments are piano and clarinet. I've been playing piano for seven years and clarinet for six. I also can play guitar well, but I haven't picked one up for a long time. I would LOVE to play the violin, but I kinda need to get one first... :l

gameplayer56
May 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I still currently play the Flute (I used to play the clarinet), but what I'm interested is in the Piano & the Viola.

Mukkamoto
May 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Play the Piano/Keyboard. Would love to learnt to play the Acoustic Guitar or Drums :)

Eucliffe
May 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
/and after watching 11 episodes of an anime about musical instruments I finally notice this thread

I currently play trombone, and have been doing so since fourth grade :3 I don't plan on stopping, even in college. Heck, if all else fails regarding what I want to major in, I'm considering getting some kind of music degree.

I have also played a little bit of recorder, and I self-taught myself some ocarina and piano, the latter using my trombone music to do so. Next year I hope to take a Piano class so I can further my studies in piano.

Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog
May 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I can't play any instruments, but I would absolutely love to be able to play the keyboard. I have a keyboard program for my computer, but I can't find the actual keyboard to go with it, just the disks.

Netherfury
May 17th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I play guitar and bass but I've been too busy to play either recently and my skills are probably lacking because of that.

Xyrin
May 17th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I play Viola. Next year I'm hoping to switch to the Violin because they get all the good parts. I would also like to play Cello some time in my life. Guitar is awesome too. We have a piano so I'm thinking about learning that.

Pokepal17
May 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm currently trying to learn guitar, but it's kinda annoying as my fingers are too big for the fretboard. I'd love to try and learn the drums as I've messed about with them before, and I find them pretty easy, but we don't have the money for a drumkit. >:

Eliminator Jr.
May 17th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm currently trying to learn guitar, but it's kinda annoying as my fingers are too big for the fretboard. I'd love to try and learn the drums as I've messed about with them before, and I find them pretty easy, but we don't have the money for a drumkit. >:

Dude, if you want to get good at drums I'd really recommend getting a second-hand kit on eBay or whatever trading site you use in America. They don't sound amazing, but they do the job and they're great to practice on. My friend managed to score one for $180. Unless you're going to be playing gigs as a drummer (and you can't just use the drum kit of one of the bands you're playing with) then not having a great sounding drum kit isn't a big deal.

Aurora01
May 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I can play guitar and I recently started playing piano.
It's going good, but my progress is slow... -_-;

solarowl
May 17th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I play Bass Clari. Yeah, Syd!
It's pretty awesome. XD
I also play a bit of guitar, but I wish I could spend more time on it.
I also dabble in piano a bit, but I'm not very good.

olih
June 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I have played the piano for seven years, the trumpet for four years, and the guitar for half a year.
I want to learn these instruments (in order): french horn, cello, trombone, bassoon, saxophone and tuba.
Yes I know I'm a band freak.