PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Anyone stayed pure?

Rathalos
February 18th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Who hasn't read about the game and looked at spoilers, new pokemon, just to increase satisfaction on your first playthrough?

Blue
February 18th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I've played Pokémon White, but I stopped after a short while and ever since then, I haven't looked at the list of new Pokémon Names, Gym Types, Alot of the Soundtracks ect. so kind of.

Forever
February 18th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I've looked at the new Pokemon, I've found out gameplay features, I know some of the storyline, BUT! I haven't looked at many sceenshots of the Unova region. Soooo... in a way I've avoided the important spoilers. I just want the region to look new, the other stuff doesn't matter as much for an exciting first experience. :x

Pokemon Trainer Touko
February 18th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I've played through Japanese Pokemon White~ I finished the game twice~ So I don't need to look up the new places and stuff~

Gary Oak FTW
February 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM
For the most part. All I've looked at are the Pokemon and the map.

ohinvisible
February 18th, 2011, 07:45 AM
The only things I've really looked at are the new Pokemon and the updated gameplay features. I don't know much about the storyline still, so that part (which is the most important for a fresh first playthrough for me) will be a surprise.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
February 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I haven't spoiled it as much as I did with Sinnoh...I have yet to see all the routes of Unova so I look forward to exploring it :)

Perrie ✿
February 18th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I've spoiled myself through & through. I said to myself I wouldn't but I did V_V

I've played and completed Black 4 times lmao. Stalked Serebii during the release of names and such, so yeah...

skyluigi2
February 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM
All I've looked at are the Pokemon. :D

s4rg10
February 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
All i checked was trailer and pokemon starters, nothing else to spoil the game

i even carefully look trough forums to not spoil anything

Boarbeque
February 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GAMES

TheAppleFreak
February 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I've already spoiled myself. I've played through Japanese White once, but stopped at the post-game. Not to mention I barely understood anything, so I guess that's good... sorta...

Backup
February 18th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I've only skimmed through the new Pokemon and listened to the rival music. ^^

It's been getting tougher and tougher not to look up info but at least I'll enjoy the game more when I get it. :)

Crimson5M
February 18th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I've played some of Black, viewed all the stuff on Serebii, watched videos on youtube...but is this something I'm gonna regret? Was it really worth it? Was it a good idea to spoil myself as opposed to waiting for the English release?
Yes.

MysticFlygon
February 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I played through the main game of white but stopped because I didn't want to spoil anymore of it for myself. It was just too irresistible for me not to play.

Kendosis
February 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I played to the first gym, so I'm mostly pure lol.

Archipelago
February 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I've checked out a couple of things about the games, although I can't remember a huge amount of what I have learnt, so I guess I could be thought of as slightly tainted in the ways of Pokemon Black and White. I'm not planning on checking out a huge amount more until the games come out though.

butterbiscuit
February 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Haha.

No. XD

I do plan to just kind of hide from the informational sites and stuff once the new 3DS Pokemon game is announced, I'll just ask someone the release date and head down to the store that day and be surprised by what I find.

Well, that's the plan, but it probably won't work.. :p

Bluerang1
February 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Stuff I planned to avoid I found out by mistake and I'm still denying some things as true until I play the games myself. I don't know the storyline and I don't want to. I've seen the released gameplay footage but know user stuff. I know all the Pokemon through and through, so I could plan my team. I know all Gym Leaders and unfortunately Elite 4 too. I didn't want to find that one out.

Astinus
February 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
If I wanted to avoid any sort of spoilers, I would have stayed off the Internet entirely.

Instead, I stayed mostly up-to-date with new information. The only part of the game I'm not too knowledgeable about is anything concerning the storyline. But no one has really talked about it in places that I go to, so that's the reason why. Everything else, though, I know some things about them.

Also played Black for a while. Didn't complete it, but I know the plot of the beginning.

Timbjerr
February 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I made it a point to avoid storyline spoilers. I already learned all of the pokemon names and most of the town and NPC names, but in Japanese...so learning their English names will be just as good as learning them fresh. XD

Dark sandslash
February 18th, 2011, 12:47 PM
i havent looked at anything at all lol

dithyrambos
February 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I made it a point to avoid storyline spoilers. I already learned all of the pokemon names and most of the town and NPC names, but in Japanese...so learning their English names will be just as good as learning them fresh. XD
I've done the same thing. :D I don't know much about the storyline, but I know the names of pokemon and gym leaders/elite four members, I've seen screen shots that were released on the official website, and I know the names of a few locations (thanks to the anime).

Oh, and I've listened to the soundtrack.

And that's pretty much everything I know.

Sabrewulf238
February 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I'm not pure....but I'm not completely spoiled either...

I know all the pokemon and I have a fairly good understanding of the first two/three towns. However my understanding of the Team Plasma storyline is vague at best. There's a lot of locations I don't know anything about and some towns/cities I've only seen one picture of.

I think I did pretty well considering how bad I am at keeping things unspoiled.

I'm ok at keeping spoilers away even by coming to this forum, I usually try to steer clear of the character discussions since they're usually filled with storyline spoilers.

King Gumball
February 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I have checked all the pokemon, the names, the gyms, badges, E4. However I have not checked out the Dream World in detail, I dont care much about soundtracks and I only know what about 10% of Unova looks like, from screen shots of gyms and bridges, and I have also avoided the story line of Team Galactic threads. I don't really want to know that until I play.

Alli
February 18th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I kept my BW virginity til the Japanese release, since I imported White. So I served my time as being pure. Good luck everyone else. :D It's totally worth it.

Livewire
February 18th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I looked at all the spoilers as soon as they were available. You don't have to keep your "B/W virginity" ololol, in order to fully enjoy the game. I know almost everything about the games, and I'll still love it when I walk into gamestop in 2 week to pick it up. n___n

Feibizen
February 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I have already played until the 4th badge, don't really care about spoiling stuff its not like Pokémon has a deep, intriguing story anyways. And preparing your team on beforehand is one of the things I enjoy the most. xD

Tree_x
February 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Ah i just looked at the new Ghost types cause there are all those new non mono types so i was curious :O other then that i do not know anything

Rai
February 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I've looked through all of the pokemon, but that's it. I haven't looked at maps or features or anything.

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I couldn't possibly stay out-of-the-loop during the leadup to the Black/White Japanese release, so I tried to look for whatever I could. It didn't stop me from really liking the stuff I saw in the game, and of course there's still a lot of things the trailers, website and stuff never ended up showing, so your experience in-game was mostly safe.

There's some really nice air about just being shoved with all-new species in the game to which you have zero idea of how to evolve, or the moves they're going to learn, or how you should simply train them.

Shining Raichu
February 18th, 2011, 03:20 PM
It's impossible in this day and age to remain totally spoiler-free, but I've tried as hard as I can. I've seen a lot of the Pokemon and I've looked at the map and a few screenshots, and I know all about the starters, but that's it. I only know one thing about the storyline.

PlatinumDude
February 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I looked at the Pokemon's names, moves and and designs, gameplay features and bits of the storyline, making me a tad spoiled in a way.

Guy
February 18th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I've kept myself from the storyline details, game details, features, screen shots - other than what was shown in trailers - and everything in specific about the games. My goal for this generation was trying to keep it fresh, so when I played it, I wouldn't know what to expect.

As far as the Pokémon go, I've seen them all. Being on the forum online, it's kind of hard to try and avoid them as people are using them in their themes, profiles, or somewhere where it can be easily seen. Plus, the temptation to not see what they all look like was just too difficult to resist. I can say though that if you call out their name, I probably won't know who you're referring to; pardon a few.

Dillon_68
February 18th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I'm pure on the storyline, region, most characters and their purposes, and I haven't played it yet. I am not pure when it comes to Pokemon and their names. I know the names of some of the cities/places, but I don't have a clue as to their locations or appearances. I'm curious to see Icirrus Moor.

PokéSwimmer
February 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I try to avoid as many of the spoilers as I can. I still haven't looked at all of the new Pokémon (though I've definitely seen quite a few), know almost nothing about the storyline, and I know virtually nothing about the region (aside from the map of the region). Since I've read the game was intended on recreating a similar experience to Red and Blue (or Green), I've decided to allow myself the same amount of exposure as I did way back when I first picked up Blue version.

vaporeon7
February 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM
No.

I am weak. I've looked out everything. The Pokemon, the maps, the videos, etc.

PiPVoda
February 18th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I haven't really been paying attention to pokemon lately, so that meant no exposure to black and white whatsoever. I just saw the entire pokedex about two weeks ago, and found out the release date. Man it's coming up so fast. I don't know why but this seems like the fastest any pokemon game has come out to me....Or maybe this year, as opposed to 2007 and gen four's release, is going by faster!
I kept my BW virginity til the Japanese release, since I imported White. So I served my time as being pure. Good luck everyone else. :D It's totally worth it.
I know which is why I'm waiting! :D

fenyx4
February 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I've played Pokémon White, but I stopped after a short while and ever since then, I haven't looked at the list of new Pokémon Names, Gym Types, Alot of the Soundtracks ect. so kind of.

I know a bunch of the new Pokemon's sprites as well as some Japanese and English names. I had the names of a few Gym Leaders, two E4 members, and the Champion spoiled for me, and a bunch of the sprites (player character, N, Gym Leader, Elite 4) spoiled as well. I know about 5 of the Gym specialties and one of the E4 specialties. I've only gleaned screenshots through one of the English trailers and via Serebii, PokeBeach, and Bulbapedia move articles.

I've avoided the storyline for the most part... Unfortunately, by viewing a YouTube vid pertaining to earlier games -_-, I had two major parts about N spoiled for me. T_T I've completely stayed away from hearing the BW soundtrack, thank goodness.

I've spoiled myself through & through. I said to myself I wouldn't but I did V_V

This. Not thoroughly, but way more than I intended to.

is this something I'm gonna regret? Was it really worth it? Was it a good idea to spoil myself as opposed to waiting for the English release?
Yes.

Unfortunately, you may be right. T_T

I do plan to just kind of hide from the informational sites and stuff once the new 3DS Pokemon game is announced, I'll just ask someone the release date and head down to the store that day and be surprised by what I find.

Well, that's the plan, but it probably won't work.. :p

I wish I could do that with all games - as in, the only info I know about the game prior to release is the title, the pre-release, and the premise (to an extent). Ideally, I wish game companies didn't reveal anything until the games are actually produced/shipped out, but modern demand and certain annoying insatiable fans who wants things yesterday tend to cause excessive early release of game info. People who leak stuff from the games (via being a developer or game tester) are no good in resolving the matter either - why can't they just let us wait in peace?!

And I don't quite understand the mindset of leakers and spoiler-people... "Getting told" info is way worse than discovering it for oneself. If I were to describe a portion of Stars Wars as:

Luke Skywalker doesn't know his father Anakin; it's presumed Darth Vader killed him.
His enemy is Darth Vader.
Spaceships blast each other.
During conflict, Luke finds out Darth Vader IS his father. It's revealed that Anakin fell to the Dark Side and assumed the guise of Darth Vader.

...the experience is bland. What reason do I have to enjoy the movie as one of the main plot points has been spoiled? (Btw, I've only seen portions of one Star Wars movie, and the plot point spoilered above was spoiled for me years ago (not "very long ago", but in recent years). :()

If I wanted to avoid any sort of spoilers, I would have stayed off the Internet entirely.

That's a definite option (and the main reason for why no one, including myself, can't really say that 'it's not their fault for getting spoiled', because we do have options of avoiding prerelease info), but it's kind of unfeasible, especially if you just want to talk about earlier games. Even restricting yourself to the earlier games is a problem, because some user might blab about the most recent iteration on the older YouTube vids, and people use the new Pokemon's sprites in avatars, signatures, and profile pics. Personally, I don't think one should have to avoid an entire medium just to avert game spoilers.

There's some really nice air about just being shoved with all-new species in the game to which you have zero idea of how to evolve, or the moves they're going to learn, or how you should simply train them.

That's the joy I experienced with Sapphire Version, and I wish I could replicate it with BW...

It's impossible in this day and age to remain totally spoiler-free, but I've tried as hard as I can.

Darn Internet age...

My goal for this generation was trying to keep it fresh, so when I played it, I wouldn't know what to expect.

Since I've read the game was intended on recreating a similar experience to Red and Blue (or Green), I've decided to allow myself the same amount of exposure as I did way back when I first picked up Blue version.

These posts address my goal exactly. Since the game was touted as a "Pokemon rebirth" and attempts to emulate the original Red and Blue/Green (FR/LG to an extent) in various aspects, I was preparing to discover Unova via a fresh start, sans spoilers. One major drawback of the Internet is the nearly-constant exposure to people who dig for the tiniest morsels of news, or people who unearth leaked tidbits and wish to share them with everyone.

Ugh...back when I first played Sapphire Version, I didn't have to worry about leaks, spoilers, the "Japanese version of Pokemon", etc. All I had was a dark blue cartridge brimming with potential while sporting a whale as its mascot :t382:, and I feel that it's one of my most cherished videogaming experiences.

And I want to yell at other forum websites which skimp out on/don't implement the spoiler function - the lack of a spoiler feature on one certain website is essentially the main reason for why I got the Gym Leader names spoiled... Thanks for implementing the spoiler function here, PokeCommunity webmasters - it is much appreciated.

Most likely, I'll attempt avoiding info on the next main series Pokemon game...

I actually intended to only get exposed to Zoroark, the first-revealed Pokemon of Unova, since he was "the first". I planned to completely avoid BW spoilers until the English release.
How miserably I have failed. :cer_cry: (then again, I kind of have Forever and Kaori to thank, since they've made such an awesome and intriguing subforum with their scavenger hunts and holiday events and such that roped me into this forum. And now I hear that another event is being planned... Well, keep up the great work, BW mods. :cer_nod:

Simultaneous worldwide release(s), Nintendo! PLEASE make it happen!

PiPVoda
February 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. I sort of agree with you that game developers should keep quiet on the games; however, some people really can't wait for the games to come out, thus cherish spoilers, leaks, etc. I mean I like them too, but at the same time I don't want to learn too much about the games before I actually have them in hand.

Speaking of which do any of you plan on getting the strategy guide or will you go through on your own? I more than likely won't get it, and that's mainly due to the reason of me being cheap and not wanting to fork over an extra $20 bucks. Also, we're blessed with the internet nowadays. No need to be killing trees with guides.

Rathalos
February 19th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I guess many of us have been tainted by the splendors of the new games, I have no clue of this N guy, all I know he has green hair, and is a king or something, I saw a trailer on a website, besides that I know about white forest and black city, and the starters, which i'm not too keen on. Yet :P
Hopefully, the game lives up to it's 10/10 ratings!

pockeyfox
February 19th, 2011, 02:44 AM
All I have seen from the new games are the commercials, and my curiosity leading me to search the internet for info on the main legendaries.

So I know relatively nothing.

Regeneration
February 19th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Stay pure? Too bad, it's not possible for someone like me. I think I went in and played Pokemon: Black the day it came out.

Even if I hadn't done so, I think it would have been really difficult to completely avoid spoilers. They somehow come up in conversations or one might have the temptation to look at a few screen-shots at least. ;;

~GodricGryffindor9~
February 19th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I tried to stay pure, but I ended up looking at the gym leaders and looking at some pokemon. T^T

Loophoo
February 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I looked at all the new Pokemon and the Gym Leaders. That's about it. I'd never play it until it came out in English though. I honestly don't see why anyone would? :/

Perrie ✿
February 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I honestly don't see why anyone would? :/

Because we couldn't wait for the games and to experience what they had to offer ~

Axeliira
February 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I tried out the Japanese version of Pokemon Black and it was something that's worth waiting for. I only played through the first gym leader as if I was playing a demo. I'd rather wait to play it all-through once I get my English copy of Pokemon White. I did get to see the Gym Leader information and some screenshots of the game, though.

Nakuzami
February 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
If not knowing anything about the games is staying pure, then i'm very impure. I know basically everything that has been leaked, released, whatever.

This is the first generation I even knew existed before the games were already out. Until DPP I was little and payed no attention to the future, so this is the first time i've been 'impure' on a new generation.

PiPVoda
February 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I guess many of us have been tainted by the splendors of the new games, I have no clue of this N guy, all I know he has green hair, and is a king or something, I saw a trailer on a website, besides that I know about white forest and black city, and the starters, which i'm not too keen on. Yet :P
Hopefully, the game lives up to it's 10/10 ratings!
I think it will. The people who didn't stay pure probably can attest to that, I'm sure. ;)
I looked at all the new Pokemon and the Gym Leaders. That's about it. I'd never play it until it came out in English though. I honestly don't see why anyone would? :/
I could never play them before they came out in English. Well that is unless I learn Japanese someday. I remember when diamond and pearl came out, I had a Japanese neighbor and I'd always watch him play diamond. But the thing is, even though I was more exposed to gen 4 than I am gen 5 before its release date, it was more thrilling to play the games in English than in Japanese.

Camara
February 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I've just seen the pokemons and movepools as well as the anime.

As for other ingame things (gymn teams, trainers, roads, TM locations, pokémon locations, etc) I have not seek them to have fun discovering when I play it.

BenjiTheKid
February 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I wanted to avoid all spoilers possible, because I wanted the game to be completely new upon my first play through. The way Sapphire was the first time I played it. But I was younger when I got Sapphire, and didn't have access to the internet. With the internet, it was hard not to look up spoilers. I took a few peeks at the games. I peeked at the site, looking at some of the features and I went to Serebii and peeked at the Pokemon. Mostly I wanted to plan my team. Or, rather, that's what I told myself. Of course, after I already picked my six, I kept looking, anyway. I've tried to refrain from looking at other spoilers. I've done good so far. But... it's been tough. u_u

fenyx4
February 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM
^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. I sort of agree with you that game developers should keep quiet on the games; however, some people really can't wait for the games to come out, thus cherish spoilers, leaks, etc. I mean I like them too, but at the same time I don't want to learn too much about the games before I actually have them in hand.

Speaking of which do any of you plan on getting the strategy guide or will you go through on your own? I more than likely won't get it, and that's mainly due to the reason of me being cheap and not wanting to fork over an extra $20 bucks. Also, we're blessed with the internet nowadays. No need to be killing trees with guides.

I wanted to avoid all spoilers possible, because I wanted the game to be completely new upon my first play through. The way Sapphire was the first time I played it. But I was younger when I got Sapphire, and didn't have access to the internet. With the internet, it was hard not to look up spoilers.

This. Regarding Sapphire Version, I can relate to essentially the exact same experience. I remember deriding the RS commercials as I hadn't grown out of being anti-Pokemon upon their release. But eventually I took a liking to Pokemon again and jumped into it in as Generation 3 had already been underway for some time. Basically spoiler-free, with new discoveries around the bend.
At the time I almost went ballistic anytime someone brought a Ruby/Sapphire player's guide to school, because it had tons of interesting tidbits and had the detailed movesets of all of RS's available Pokemon (sans Jirachi and Deoxys, IIRC) - something I almost take for granted now due to the Internet being more modern and accessible, as well as Bulbapedia, Veekun, and Smogon having extensive movesets and breeding lines. As PiPVoda said, no point in wasting trees and money when the content of guides can easily be featured online in this day and age.

LOL...I remember when Deoxys actually seemed like a "never-before-seen Pokemon" on Pokemon.com, because at the time of its release I was unfamiliar with the practice of "extracting (hidden) data from ROMs". And now here I am, knowing every single normally-accesible and event Pokemon of Generations 4 and 5, both of which I haven't even played yet. :cer_cry:

olih
February 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I've tried not to spoil it, but I have looked up all the new Pokemon, and I've watched videos and I practically know the whole storyline. So I completely spoiled it. I have weak resistance when it comes to bread, videogames, and shiny things.

Heart Gold
February 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
I've looked at some of the new Pokemon and moves and sort of pre-planned a team out based on what I've seen. Other than that I didn't look at any of the storyline, videos, screenshots, etc. So basically I've stayed pure except for the Pokemon. I'm excited to play it without knowing anything.

Haowakeorden
February 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM
Looked at the Pokémon, a few parts of the region, but I'm pretty "in the dark" about the storyline, characters, and some of the features.

At this time I'm trying to restrict myself to seeing only officially-released material, such as the Skyarrow Bridge/Castelia City showcase that was released recently.

Nameless.
February 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Though I knew a lot about the game as a whole, I really wasn't all that spoiled. I knew all the Pokemon, their general locations, bits and pieces of the storyline, and how some of the areas looked. But somehow, Black and White kept that surprise effect, so I wasn't really bored or anything when I played through it. :3 Now, that is a first!

I guess you could say I stayed about half-pure, just because the information delivered online wasn't all that spoiler-rific until after the games were out. By then, I knew most of the stuff. XD;

DarkVhozon
February 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
I've naturally looked at the new pokemon, mostly Dragon, Steel, or Dark in type. I can safely say I am still in the dark for about 70% of them.

Wuchuhurd
February 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
I tried so hard to avoid it and was successful for 4 months avoiding it completely, then one day I got so curious that I couldn't help but play both versions and now I've pretty much seen everything in the game. God I have no discipline, lol

bwburke94
February 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Given that unmarked spoilers are common here, I'd say no one here is completely in the dark... if you want to stay pure, go to GameFAQs instead.

institutions
February 23rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I've only seen a few spoilers so far, and idk if they even count as spoilers.
I took a few looks at the list of Pokemon so I could see which ones were cute/cool and which were ugly.

Oh, and I watched one episode of Black and White on that Saturday when I woke up early for some reason as it was coming on. It was the episode with all of the Meguroko (I think that's it's name. The sand crocodile thing.)

Kendosis
February 23rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
I beat pokemon black already lol, no pureness for me >.<

Cyndaquil312
February 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
I've checked out the Pokemon, and news on some of the features, and I ended up reading about the gym leaders types, but not their actual Pokemon. I'm still mostly in the dark, with the exception of English names of locations, and 60% of the Pokemon.

Elise
February 23rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
I have Black in Japanese, so all I know of the game is in a foreign language, and I'm far from proficient in the Japanese language so my understanding is pretty sketch, at best.

So as far as knowing anything about the game in English, yupp, I'm pretty much as pure as the driven snow. I'm really excited to play the game in English, I feel like it will still be enough of a surprise because I didn't complete the game in Japanese yet... ^_^;

Chadlington
February 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
I was pretty bad with the lead up to the realease, screen shots, videos, game play, maps, Pokemon, etc etc. BUT i refrained from getting the Jap versions and the emulations. So Go me!!!

ManhattanTheStarr
February 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
The only thing that I haven't spoiled for myself already is the towns/cities/routes. I pretty much know all the characters, Pokemon... even the music. >< But eh, it's way better than when D/P came out, and I spoiled the entire game. T_T