PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Do you like the PokeTransfer in B/W?

Tetra
February 22nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Really I dont like it. The better the Pokemon, The more hard to catch but its useful for transfering pokemon you cant get in B/W.

bwburke94
February 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
The lack of a 6-Pokémon limit is good, at least.

Tropical Sunlight
February 23rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
It's a shame I can't transfer my cloned Master Balls from Emerald onto Diamond or HG and the to Black and White. :P
But at least there's no annoying time limit. :D

Tetra
February 23rd, 2011, 04:31 AM
The most annoying Pokemon i caught sent to the Pokeshifter today was a Mewtwo. Still havent caught it!

Perrie ✿
February 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
I actually like this better than the Pal Park; because of the No restrictions on how many Pokemon a day ~

It's a bummer that you have to bloody have to have the same regions for games though, I hope American & English versions are not the same >:(

JP
February 23rd, 2011, 06:15 AM
I actually like this better than the Pal Park; because of the No restrictions on how many Pokemon a day ~

It's a bummer that you have to bloody have to have the same regions for games though, I hope American & English versions are not the same >:(

Yeah, I'm very annoyed that they're region locked when trying to migrate from a previous Gen. I was really looking forward to using my English game team on my Japanese cartridge. Oh well, at least I'll be able to trade my 5th gen Japanese Pokes over to my English 5th gen game.... I hope? lol

SukoSuNa
February 23rd, 2011, 06:41 AM
I don't really have an opinion on this one.
I can say its probably going to be more fun than the pal-park.
I thought it was really boring. But I'll have to wait until I get my White version to have a say!

pokewalker
February 23rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Really I dont like it. The better the Pokemon, The more hard to catch but its useful for transfering pokemon you cant get in B/W.

Really? :'( It will then be extremely difficult to send all the Pokémon I want to sent to Black...

I haven't tried it so far, but I looked at some videos and it seems better as the Pal Park. It is more challenging, and it's funnier I guess. I hope it'll be addictive! :D

Haowakeorden
February 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
As a method of one-way transfer from Generation IV to V, I wish they'd have an option of transferring items as well. They could have just kept all the first 92 TMs the same and then added the new TMs on top of those.

Of course, I wish it were two-way. From what I can tell there wasn't any "mechanical" impossibility in doing that. We still had the same Pokémon data structure, only possible difference being that the same data is stored differently.

fenyx4
February 23rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
As a method of one-way transfer from Generation IV to V, I wish they'd have an option of transferring items as well. They could have just kept all the first 92 TMs the same and then added the new TMs on top of those.

Of course, I wish it were two-way. From what I can tell there wasn't any "mechanical" impossibility in doing that. We still had the same Pokémon data structure, only possible difference being that the same data is stored differently.

I agree with the idea that the Generation 4 TM list should have been retained. Or, they could change the sucky TMs with the more useful ones that Generation 5 introduces (yes, "sucky" TM is subjective). I mean, it's not like a lot of people are going to favor Canon over Stealth Rock... Why don't they replace the pretty-much-never-used TM Frustration instead? I don't see why the list had to screw us over with transferring all the other items as well...

And yeah, the two-way thing seems like it should work... I mean, if Generation 2 can do it with the Time Capsule, why can't BW of Generation 5 do it? Even Crystal is able to implement the Time Capsule and trade with the RBY Game Boy games, and its cartridge is a different model than all of its predecessors (that, and Crystal can't be played on systems prior to the Game Boy Color)! Pokemon Black and White Versions even have an advantage, as they're on the exact same platform as the Generation 4 games, unlike Pokemon Crystal Version's case.

PokéSwimmer
February 23rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
While I would prefer to have a "time capsule" feature rather than the Pokéshifter in Black and White, I'm just glad they're not cutting us off like they did between Gens II and III.
Also, I guess it's a good thing they didn't allow the transfer of items. It was WAY too easy to find methods of cloning items without AR in Gens III and IV. I have been guilty of this myself :P Yay Pokémon Emerald!

Tetra
February 26th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Yup, I hate it how it won't let you transfer items.

skyluigi2
March 2nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I'm very annoyed that they're region locked when trying to migrate from a previous Gen. I was really looking forward to using my English game team on my Japanese cartridge. Oh well, at least I'll be able to trade my 5th gen Japanese Pokes over to my English 5th gen game.... I hope? lol

This is my downfall too, since I have an American copy of both Diamond and Pearl, but everything else is English (because I am English :))
But I can trade all the Pokemon to my English Heartgold, and then to White :D
Hehehe...

Perrie ✿
March 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
This is my downfall too, since I have an American copy of both Diamond and Pearl, but everything else is English (because I am English :))
But I can trade all the Pokemon to my English Heartgold, and then to White :D
Hehehe...

Actually it's only the Japanese BW that won't connect with other English/American versions. I think English/American versions will let us though ~ :3

Although I have an English copy of HG I'm not bothered, ~ :3 but all my other Pokemon games (D/P/PT/SS) are americanzzz.

woo english people :3

Boomburst
March 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
I prefers Pal(kia) Park because you can transfer items. In the Shifter you can't. :(

adhdguitar
March 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I love it expect for the HM rule.

Goodbye Surfing Pikachu. :'(

Dr Caterpie
March 7th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I love it expect for the HM rule.

Goodbye Surfing Pikachu. :'(

Gotta hate that one, Probably one of the worst things for the transfers...

The Corrupt Plague
March 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm going to be hacking all of my items in Black because I have already hoarded a ton of them in the previous generations. It isn't fair to have to work for all of them again when they had been sitting in various games for the past two generations.

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 8th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I wish GameFreak got the clue that one-way "transfers" are not the way to go. While some people would celebrate the removal of crap like day limits, they still placed restrictions - no HMs, and the tradeoff that Pokémon can't be returned to the original game. I would assume the reasoning behind keeping them in Black/White is purely technical.

…it's basically Pal Park with a mini-game attached. It was even internally referred to as Pal Park.

Giraffe
March 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I can't access the Pokeshifter as I'm yet to complete Black.

It does sound good.
Though the only big downfall is the fact you can't send items, I guess.
Oh, & a Pokemon with HM moves. {Surfing Pikachu ;_;}

Raichu1988
March 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I already knew about the no item rule and that they wouldn't return to their games once you transfer. But, the no HM rule too? Jeez, as if I didn't think it was annoying enough to not be able to attach items to them.. >_> What? Well, not like I was going to use a pokemon with an HM anyway but the items thing was pfft. I have a lot of evolution stones in Platinum I was hoping to share some of them on Black. :/ I have yet to use it though since I'm not that far into the game but it already sounds like a drag to me in most ways.

Lateon
March 8th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I just cleared everything out of my HG cartridge to Black. It was boring after a little while- granted, I did send 210 Pokemon over, so that's probably from the repetitiveness of it. I understood the no TM/HM rule because they did change, but I missed transferring items- even if they could have programmed a list of items that the pokeshifter couldn't transfer, it would have been nice to be able to move my masterball collection over to Black. I didn't find the mechanics of catching them too difficult (I got all 6 every time). I decided to give myself a break before moving things over from Platinum.

I haven't tried it yet, but does anyone know what happens if you try to trade a previous generation pokemon over to BW (as opposed to through the pokeshifter)?

pokegirlsam
March 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
How do you poketransfer in Pokemon black and white? Ive got 2 dsi's and one has heart gold the other one pokemon white and i really want to get my pokemon from heart gold to white.

Lateon
March 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM
How do you poketransfer in Pokemon black and white? Ive got 2 dsi's and one has heart gold the other one pokemon white and i really want to get my pokemon from heart gold to white.

Talk to the man in this house on Route 15 after beating the main game:

http://monsterdungeon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pokeshifter.jpg

Follow the directions.

Phototoxin
March 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I think it sucks to be honest. Keeping the whole thing 'internal' (must use new pokes) sucks a lot. Sometimes you just want a bulbasaur or whatever and you can't have one until AFTER the main game.

I can see one side to it - stopping people trading over uber pokes from the get-go and crushing through the game - but if they do that it's only their own game/fun they're *wasting*.

Additionally the lack of items is annoying... I save masterballs and tms. Essentially they're forcing a 'hard reset' with the exception of the pokes themselves.
But then why a mini game? I would like to be able to transfer a box at a time over or something. It wouldn't be hard and it wouldn't be as time consuming.

Superjub
March 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Meh, it's okay. :\ I still wish we could just transfer them without having to do a stupid mini-game. :< Also, I now have to transfer the Jirachis I cloned on Emerald from Soul Silver and then to Black. :<

vaporeon7
March 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Why didn't they bring back the Time Capsule? That was one of the smartest this Game Freak has ever done. I think everyone would have praised them for doing so if they actually did.

It's pretty bad to be honest with not being able to take items and how frustrating it is. At least it doesn't have a six Pokemon a day limit I suppose.

Kirbychu
March 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM
This is way better than the Pal Park, that's for sure. Each session lasted about 20 seconds for me. It felt like it took longer for the game to save. I really don't care about the HMs, but the item thing is terrible. Pikachu isn't even usable without the Light Ball. Oh well, that's not gonna stop me! xD

I'll probably just use my AR to grab a quick Light Ball. That's understandable, right? Come on, Pikachu's too awesome.

solarowl
March 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I actually like this better than Pal Park. Pal Park was annoying if you were trying to migrate legendaries. It took a while.

Howlsinn
March 17th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Its allright I guess. I mean it does have some problems, like you can't send of items and what not. But i don't really mind about that, I just want my Ditto so I can breed Zorua!

MagCynic
March 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
There's another thread on here about how you are only allowed to have 4 numbers in your storage box names. It got me thinking about other incredibly annoying issues I have with this otherwise great game.

What's probably the most annoying? I don't have two DS's. Yeah. If you know how the PokeTransfer works, you know people with one DS are screwed.

What would be so hard about using the GTS for PokeTransfers? Pick the Pokemon you want, assign some unique number or password to it, and download them through Gen V games with that same password via GTS. Boom! Problem solved.

Are there any other ways to get Pokemon from Gen IV to Pokemon Black/White?

Forever
March 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
There's another thread on here about how you are only allowed to have 4 numbers in your storage box names. It got me thinking about other incredibly annoying issues I have with this otherwise great game.

What's probably the most annoying? I don't have two DS's. Yeah. If you know how the PokeTransfer works, you know people with one DS are screwed.

What would be so hard about using the GTS for PokeTransfers? Pick the Pokemon you want, assign some unique number or password to it, and download them through Gen V games with that same password via GTS. Boom! Problem solved.

Are there any other ways to get Pokemon from Gen IV to Pokemon Black/White?

Merged with the discussion thread, since it's more a annoyance rather than a simple question.

I haven't tried the pokeshifter and I can't... due to only one DS. D;

MagCynic
March 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Merged with the discussion thread, since it's more a annoyance rather than a simple question.

I haven't tried the pokeshifter and I can't... due to only one DS. D;Ah, thank you. This was the very next thread I saw after I created the one you merged.

I still don't see why Game Freak wasn't smart enough to program transfers over GTS. Perhaps emulation can fix it in time.

Sasuke.
March 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Pokeshifter is nice in the sense that you can import as much as you want with no time limit. Annoying because you need two DS's, but I don't see any other way it could have been done.

Erufuun
March 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I actually just tried the Pokeshifter today! c:
It isn't too bad, a neat little mini game to differ from the old Pal Park style. I find it refreshing and a much better idea! :D
...But still gets on my nerves a bit. ._.;; I wouldn't of caught Celebii and would of ran out of time if it wasn't for that sleep thingy...

The 100 Mega Shock
March 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM

How would you solve the issue of having a password long enough to be unique whilst also being memorable enough so that people don't forget it? The volume of transfers being done through such a system would likely be immense.

Even assigning a short string of random alphanumeric characters poses the risk that people may forget their code, leaving their Pokémon in limbo. You would also have to be wary of people trying to enter random alphanumeric strings in themselves on the off-chance that they manage to claim someone else's Pokémon.

The GTS has already been open to a lot of abuse in the past. Adding such a radical feature to it now only gives more avenues to explore in exploiting the system.

Weavile05
March 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I'm a beast at that game. I was terrible at first, but every time after that, the timer never gets below half.

Soviet Russia
March 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
Overall, I dislike this function. The thought was good but the follow-through from Game Freak wasn't executed well. I don't know if it's an issue for anyone else but I never catch my pokemon in time or at all.

MagCynic
March 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
How would you solve the issue of having a password long enough to be unique whilst also being memorable enough so that people don't forget it? The volume of transfers being done through such a system would likely be immense.

Even assigning a short string of random alphanumeric characters poses the risk that people may forget their code, leaving their Pokémon in limbo. You would also have to be wary of people trying to enter random alphanumeric strings in themselves on the off-chance that they manage to claim someone else's Pokémon.

The GTS has already been open to a lot of abuse in the past. Adding such a radical feature to it now only gives more avenues to explore in exploiting the system.I guess you're right. They could have easily, though, set up a website (they already did it with the Dream World) so we could "upload" our Pokemon to our website under our own account and then transfer them to Black and White.

Believe me. Much more creative ways could have been done rather than require that we buy an extra DS. I think it's safe to say that most (but not all) players only have one DS.

Twilight-kun
March 23rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
Since I'm really only getting Black/White for the new Pokemon, I'm probably going to play the game, beat Cynthia, Morimoto, find the Sages, then start over

PokeTransfer?
C Gear?
they are collecting dust in my games

CrowSama
March 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
I like it, but I was confused and a little p-o'ed when I first found out about the little mini-game (mainly because neither of the DS systems I was using had a stylus on them, and I left my Snivy stylus at home) so I was just randomly shooting pokeballs. I cought all of the pokemon I attempted to transfer.

The biggest difficulty is that they don't allow any pokemon with HM moves to come over. Recently I decided I wanted to egg move some pokemon, and I had to delete half the movesets of my Salemence and Gyarados (Yes, I made them my HM freaks). I was kinda sad about Salemence, because I really haven't used him since Ruby Version (ah the crappy old days) but whatever. I'm over it.

Wait? Whats that Game Freak/Nintendo? I need two DS's? (One friend with DS moved second DS friend broke it) NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO-----

Woobat
March 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
I like that they let us transfer our 4th generation Pokemon to B/W, but I wish they would let us just transfer them instead of making us play a mini game, like the Relocator. Sometimes it's really difficult to catch the Pokemon, too.

D0N3GAN
March 26th, 2011, 07:39 AM
The idea of the PokéShifter is awesome but coming to actually use it is very annoying I always seem to fail the first time around.

Tetra
April 10th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Same, I don't completely like it. :(

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 10th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Frustrating. The fact that you need two DS systems and can't put the Pokemon back on your 4th gen games makes it even worse than having to play the worthless minigame.

Rionix
April 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I don't think I like Pokéshifter... My friend use my DS to play HeartGold version (I didn't have a chance to play 4th gen so skipped right at 5th gen). Then as I want to get his pokes in the older version, I can't if I don't have 2 DS... I wish they included a feature to upload it in their server then get it in B/W... :s

Neiko Star
April 10th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Well, it's not like there's any other way to do it. I agree about the items and HMs though. The minigame is fun and ridiculously easy. It's too bad you can't trade/send your Pokemon back, but that's logical, considering Unova Pokemon don't exist in previous games and it just wouldn't work.

Impo
April 10th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I actually like it. It takes a while to get used to, but it works in the end.
But sucks about items, I had choice items and leftovers that I need to get again now they're stuck in another generation.

iTeruri
April 10th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I was baffled when I first tried it and it said to use download play on the other DS. The most useful use of download play EVER! Didn't expect them to use it.

I don't mind the mini game. It's quite easy to catch all pokémon, though. Wished they made it a bit harder, so it would be more of a challenge.

Psyshock
April 10th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I like it and it's a lot more entertaining to me than pal park was in the previous games. I struggled the first few times but now I've got it down.

The 100 Mega Shock
April 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I guess you're right. They could have easily, though, set up a website (they already did it with the Dream World) so we could "upload" our Pokemon to our website under our own account and then transfer them to Black and White.

Believe me. Much more creative ways could have been done rather than require that we buy an extra DS. I think it's safe to say that most (but not all) players only have one DS.

The same Dream World that was almost immediately overloaded with connections as soon as it launched, only to come back up a month later with heavy limitations implemented? It's a pretty good idea not to put your faith in Nintendo / The Pokémon Company when it comes to game-to-web interfaces.

Toshiro.
April 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I miss Pal Park :/ I like how there is no transfer limit anymore, but now you can't transfer items. Also, that mini game is dumb.

ChaosWave
April 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Personally I think it's fun >_> I like that there's no limit on how many you can send over like I was prepared there would be. I hate that you can't send over items though, I get the TM's thing since they changed the set up, but you should still be allowed to send over things like Master Balls or battle items...

Influential_Mew
April 10th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I don't mind it. I just hate the fact that held items are not allowed, but truth be told that it's resonable. Besides, I actually enjoy flinging those pokeballs at them. It's fun and quick.

The Nightmare
April 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
It's Okay even though it just 6 pokemon allowed because if you put 16 or 55 you would defiantly crash or destroy the game.

The 100 Mega Shock
April 12th, 2011, 05:42 AM
No it wouldn't, it'd just make the game drag on for ever, and make the transfer time annoyingly long. Also because the generic PC box interface was only designed for six Pokémon slots.

Zanitar
May 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Last generation had great migration from previous games, but from what I hear nintendo decided to be idiots and not let us migrate from GBA games.

Not only that, but I'd need to buy a second DS to migrate from Diamond or Pearl? Why didn't they just use the old system...?

None of my friends play pokemon D:

Forever
May 8th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Last generation had great migration from previous games, but from what I hear nintendo decided to be idiots and not let us migrate from GBA games.

Not only that, but I'd need to buy a second DS to migrate from Diamond or Pearl? Why didn't they just use the old system...?

This comes under the thread that discusses the PokeTransfer, which covers whether it's a better method of migration or not, and is also a place for general complaints about the PokeTransfer. :) Also, this didn't really seem like something that'd belong in Quick Questions because it promotes discussion and such.

Merged.

Oryx
May 8th, 2011, 10:50 PM

Wait, what? You can migrate from Fourth Gen to Fifth Gen just fine, you need two DSes as opposed to one because unlike from Third to Fourth, the DS doesn't have two DS cartridge slots. It's completely understandable that you'd need to have two DSes, otherwise you can't have both games running at once.

Also, you can migrate from GBA games, just not directly. It has to go through D/P/Pt or HG/SS, then to B/W. All the fourth gen games were only compatible with the third gen. The third gen wasn't compatible with anything. The second gen was only compatible with the first gen. This isn't anything different. o-o;

Metal Electric
May 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM
At the moment only used it once, but I just want to migrate some Pokémon, not play a game to get them. >_>
And I really want to migrate some items from my Gen IV games, but I understand they don't want that everyone has so many Master Balls etc. from Emerald.

CptSwaggerPants
May 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
It's the lousiest and only part about Black and White I dislike. Honestly, I had to get my ex to do all the work for me...and do you know how many times he had to play it?? Haha, I had over 400 Pokemon I needed to migrate...

Talli
May 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Not really since I had to buy another DS just to get my togetic Pala onto white.
the Mini game is boring like others have said.

The Eagle
May 9th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Its gay cause i want my items ... -_-

Mewtwo and Arceus etc were easy to catch, its all about timing. I like it, better Minigame and no time restrictions :D

--
Also, i think anybody who buys another DS just to transfer :
A. Has NO LIFE
B. More money than sense
C. Is just idiotic, its JUST A GAME!

-

I have a friend and i nicked his DS ^_^

Mod note: Please don't use "gay" in that way.

sh0kk
May 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I dunno its alright I wish it was more like the pal park though, so you could just and catch them, cause the game can get a little tedious...then again its an interesting switch.

Sceptile0111
May 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I really still don't understand why they had to require two DS's. It would have been easy enough to use the GTS for something like this; just sync the Pokemon from the Gen IV game with your DS system itself, thus only allowing a B/W game on the same system to be able to accept that Pokemon. They've already done something similar with PBR and syncing with an individual DS system...

Luckily, the 3DS is out and I will be buying one of those anyway as soon as I've saved enough money. So it isn't as big a deal as it could have been.

:t254: Sceptile0111 :t254:

GlalieX
May 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I'm not a huge fan, having to have two DS's is annoying, but I guess there really isn't anything we can do about that.

2Cool4Mewtwo
May 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I like the pokeshifter thing better than the pal park, solely because of no limits... though the minigame is frustrating a bit :@

rstevenson1976
May 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'm eventually going to get a ds lite just so I can try out hoen (sp?) and recreate my blue team on fr. then I can poke transfer to my dsi xl

Tetra
May 21st, 2011, 12:10 AM
I don't use it anymore, but when I get new shinies on my HG, I transfer them.

Rionix
May 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM
I enjoyed the minigame. I like shooting pokeballs on my pokemons. And I like how cute they are when they hide behind the grass. I just transferred my 129 event pokemons from my Platinum to my White.

Gotta love it :)

Kevin
May 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM
I liked Pal Park better, because the Poke Transfer is hard for me to aim. And we can't transfer held items either.