PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] B/W Greatest pokemon game... ever?

KieronGames
March 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
According to many reviews, they have said:
"Pokemon Black and White, the best Pokemon games ever."
What's your opinion them?
And what do you think of them?

Edit:
I meant to say:
B/W Greatest Pokemon Game, ever?

Blue
March 3rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Well from what I've experienced from the Japanese version and going on how excited I am for the release tomorrow! :D I'd say yes, they're just completely different to the other games but in a good way, I really love them and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow!

MeerFall
March 3rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
well for now it will be the greatest game until the next game comes out... then that will be the greatest game ever!

LethalTexture
March 3rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
Well, I recieved my copy of the game today, and although I can't make a complete judgment so far, I'm finding the game highly immersive; there's so much going on at any given time that it doesn't become bland.

Plus, i was suprised that the translated text manages to inform new players about things in the game, and at the same time isn't patronising to old players.

I like that.

GreenLanturn
March 3rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Well i got my game yesterday (BJS is the best) and so far id say its great. Not sure if its the best yet but its cetianly good.

NatureKeeper
March 3rd, 2011, 08:26 AM
No way.

Although Black and White introduced many features, the best would have to be ol' HeartGold and SoulSilver versions for multiple reasons. I will not rant about nostalgia, but HGSS does have good memories or easter eggs for those who did not play GSC (me). Hearing a remixed version of Gold, Silver and Crystal music using the GB player was one thing that was amazing about it. And also, the graphics were superior to many other games, remember Ho-Oh and Lugia's breathtaking summons. And if HGSS were to be released using the BW engine, it would own Black and White by levels. So no, not Black and White, never. They are good as, umm, idk Platinum?

Tox
March 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I haven't played them yet. I'm waiting until I get my copy of Black tomorrow. I'm really excited though. I've heard nothing but positive comments. At first, I wasn't too sure about them. The Pokémon designs sure aren't my favourite but they've just made so many improvements and changes without taking the "Pokémon" feel away. I've enjoyed every game so far, including R/S/E which a lot of people weren't too keen on. I definitely have high hopes for them. I'll confirm my answer once I've played them.

ShinyMeowth
March 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald are the best games I have played so far. The Sinnoh games were not bad, but they just can't be compared to Hoenn. However, from what I've seen, I believe Black and White are likely to replace RSE as the tops of my list. The new features are awesome, the characters are likable, including the "evil" team, and, the best part, Dawn is not in the games. Having pre-ordered them, I'll get them tomorrow, and I'll be able to determine if they are actually the best so far.

lamby101
March 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
I should be receiving the game in the post tomorrow so I can't make a judgement yet. But from reading what people have said about it and looking at a few things on the Serebii site, I am pretty excited!

The main thing I'm looking forward to is the dream world abilities pokemon can get, I haven't read up on the Dream World at all, I just know that pokemon can get different abilities somehow from it. I've purposefully not read through too much info about the game because I want to experience it myself without any spoilers in advance.

fenyx4
March 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
Currently, Pokemon Emerald Version holds the title of "Greatest Pokemon Game ever", due to the enhanced features and near replayability it has provided me. Platinum and HeartGold are set to possibly assume that title. As anticipated as I am for BW and as much as I'd like them to be one of the top-selling videogames of 2011, in no way can they be "Greatest Pokemon Game Ever" yet, not with all the perceived flaws it has.

The exclusion of Apricorn Ball availability and the inclusion of every single other Poke Ball implies favoritism, in a sense... Relegation of the Glass Flutes to "valuable items" is just wrong... The replacement of Super Contests with screensaver-ish Musicals is horrible, not to mention the removal of Contest Conditions, the Pokeathlon, and the abundance of Ribbons... Furthermore, compared to HGSS's innovations of the Running Shoes, overworld sprites, and menu accessibility, BW could be considered a step back in some respects. Also, Trainers shouldn't have to go online just be able to find an adequate supply of some dang-darn Berries. BW just seems like it could have expnaded upon several past-Gen concepts but just lets them to wallow on the wayside, only enhancing a few remnants of the past and breaking pretty much lots of everything else.

I highly expect either the third version to BW or the RS remakes to fix the numerous flaws present in BW. Should that be the case, either of them will, in my eyes, attain the title of "Greatest Pokemon Game Ever" upon release.

Rawrinism
March 3rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Well, according to spoilers, It seems great. Although I have no idea what you can do left after you beat the storyline. :(
I'll be getting it on Sunday and I can't wait. Although it possibly can be great.

Fushigidane-Chan
March 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Platinum holds the title of the greatest Pokemon game in my eyes. It offers an engaging plot, an expansive region, the greatest regional PokeDex yet with an incredible amount of variety, memorable characters, unlimited replay value, and just so much more. It's the absolute pinnacle of the Pokemon series. Emerald isn't too far behind from Platinum--and it's mainly the lack of the additions the 4th Generation introduced that hold it back, so it's not exactly too fair a comparison.

HGSS, on the other hand, featured a few cool features like the Pokeathelon and the ability for Pokemon to follow you everywhere, but there were far too many flaws with the game--such as its level curve, lack of plot, uninteresting and boring locales, and monotonous characters--that it couldn't possibly be considered the best Pokemon game, at least in my opinion.

Black and White, for what it brings to the table, it takes significantly more away. A new region, 156 Pokemon, and much-improved graphics were given at the expense of re-playability and features: Black and White don't feature a Battle Frontier, an Underground, a PokeRadar, the ability to grow berries, following Pokemon, Pokeathelon/Contests, or rematches.

It's hard to regard Black and White as the best Pokemon games ever considering this--it all depends on whether you think what was lost, was worth for what we got. I personally don't, and I'm waiting for the third version to really do the fifth generation and Unova proud.

gregory_turner420
March 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
eh id say from my playthroughs that they are very respectable and innovative in the new gameplay elements and everything, but greatest, no, that title goes to RGB

Kendosis
March 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
I liked HG & SS better...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
March 3rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
Well I can't say yet...but I sure hope they are as good as RSE :)

Barn
March 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
I hope it's good, but I won't be able to get it soon... Amazon's shipping sucks and I'm not getting it until like, Monday and I can't get to GameStop by myself...

From what it looks and sounds like, it seems pretty good.

Rai
March 4th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I won't be getting it for a while but all of the reviews have been saying that is amazing so I am even more psyched for its release! When I finally do get it I am going to come back to this thread and let you know :]

Pokemon Trainer Touko
March 4th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Pokemon Black and White is the best Pokemon game I've ever played~ But unfortunately I lost my DS so I won't be able to play it for a while~ :<

インフェルノの津波
March 4th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Well, I think this is worthy of my opinion.

I've played Pokemon ever since the days of Red, Blue and Yellow. I was a 5 year old, and I still love those games to bits.

However, I think the title for best Pokemon game would have to go to either Emerald, or Platinum. Black and White falls close, but those two games had me reeling in for the plot, and the Pokemon. I still consider Black and White to great, but Platinum was very enjoyable for me, as well as Emerald and HG/SS.

I'd say Black and White would have to be 7/10 for me, I was disappointed with most of the new Pokemon to be honest. Most of them remind me of Gen 1...and that isn't a good thing.

JAK3
March 4th, 2011, 03:17 AM
This is by far the only Pokemon game I have been overly excited for, but it is not 'THE' very best. I feel as if Pokemon Sapphire is the best, Memory and play wise. I mean, I still have to beat Pokemon Sapphire by March 6th, which is only 2 Days away where I live, but I feel confident that I can do it, just because I love Sapphire that much. Anyways, I am excited for Black and White, but they just don't sit as the best for me.

SilverCrown
March 4th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Got my copy of White yesturday, and so far it's up there with my top 3. Wonderful game!

PlatinumDude
March 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I never got my copy of the game yet, but from what I've read, B/W is one of the greatest Pokemon games created, thanks to its new features.

Pkmn Trainer Touko
March 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM
In JAPANESE they are the great Pokemon games EVER made.

The plot...it's the plot! The plot is so meaning, symbolic, philosophical! No Pokemon game has ever been so uplifting and DEEP! It's so much better than the other games because the other games were just the average gym battling, elite four, defeat evil team. But this, even though it does follow that pattern...it's just so much more involved and intellectual. It really makes you think about philosophy, and moral choices.

I just love how symbolic it is. It's so hard to put it into words. I'll give it a shot.

Isshu/Unova is a land that is separate from the 4 previous regions. Places that are isolated have higher diversity-which is true for this game! There is diversity of character/people, ideals, beliefs, and of course species of Pokemon. With this diversity of belief, there is conflict. But the message behind all of it is coexistence. Coexisting with one another despite differences in belief, and coexisting with other species. Because, the hero of the game realizes that the world is NOT Black and White. The villains of the game see the world as Black and White. And yet at the same time they are not evil, their goal is pure. There's only one corrupt evil character. Geechisu/Ghetis, who brainwashed his son and his organization in order to attain power. But the organizations goals were in favour of protecting Pokemon from harm from humans-can't blame them for that considering it is true that some humans abuse Pokemon-look at Team Rocket and all the previous villains. In the end, N and the rest of Team Plasma realize that they were wrong, that there are GREY areas in between the Black and White! All of this is represented by Reshiram/Zekrom and Kyerum. Reshiram being truth, light, Zekrom being power/darkness, and Kyerum being the absence of both and the absense of energy (fire and electricity are forms of energy, also plasma is energy that makes up fire and electricity-the typing of Reshiram and Zekrom! Also Reshiram and Zekrom represent the Yin and Yang, they represent balance. The hero/player character is seeking to protect that balance from Geechisu disrupting that balance. It's brilliant! Also the games are very Westernized which is very interesting to see! We see American themes, and we see European themes. N is king, Team Plasma are knights. The game plays out like a Chess game. The gym leaders of Isshu Vs. The Seven Sages of Team Plasma. The epic battle between N and the hero, with the legendary dragons...amazing! The sentimental end to the game between N and the player...it's so sweet!

Everything about this game is amazing.

The Pokemon's designs, the music, the graphics, and most importantly the plot.

It is DEFINITELY the most AMAZING Pokemon game of all time.

I hope I didn't miss any of my points, I could write a book on how amazing the plots symbolism and philosophy is.

JP
March 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM
In JAPANESE they are the great Pokemon games EVER made.

The plot...it's the plot! The plot is so meaning, symbolic, philosophical! No Pokemon game has ever been so uplifting and DEEP! It's so much better than the other games because the other games were just the average gym battling, elite four, defeat evil team. But this, even though it does follow that pattern...it's just so much more involved and intellectual. It really makes you think about philosophy, and moral choices.

I just love how symbolic it is. It's so hard to put it into words. I'll give it a shot.

Isshu/Unova is a land that is separate from the 4 previous regions. Places that are isolated have higher diversity-which is true for this game! There is diversity of character/people, ideals, beliefs, and of course species of Pokemon. With this diversity of belief, there is conflict. But the message behind all of it is coexistence. Coexisting with one another despite differences in belief, and coexisting with other species. Because, the hero of the game realizes that the world is NOT Black and White. The villains of the game see the world as Black and White. And yet at the same time they are not evil, their goal is pure. There's only one corrupt evil character. Geechisu/Ghetis, who brainwashed his son and his organization in order to attain power. But the organizations goals were in favour of protecting Pokemon from harm from humans-can't blame them for that considering it is true that some humans abuse Pokemon-look at Team Rocket and all the previous villains. In the end, N and the rest of Team Plasma realize that they were wrong, that there are GREY areas in between the Black and White! All of this is represented by Reshiram/Zekrom and Kyerum. Reshiram being truth, light, Zekrom being power/darkness, and Kyerum being the absence of both and the absense of energy (fire and electricity are forms of energy, also plasma is energy that makes up fire and electricity-the typing of Reshiram and Zekrom! Also Reshiram and Zekrom represent the Yin and Yang, they represent balance. The hero/player character is seeking to protect that balance from Geechisu disrupting that balance. It's brilliant! Also the games are very Westernized which is very interesting to see! We see American themes, and we see European themes. N is king, Team Plasma are knights. The game plays out like a Chess game. The gym leaders of Isshu Vs. The Seven Sages of Team Plasma. The epic battle between N and the hero, with the legendary dragons...amazing! The sentimental end to the game between N and the player...it's so sweet!

Everything about this game is amazing.

The Pokemon's designs, the music, the graphics, and most importantly the plot.

It is DEFINITELY the most AMAZING Pokemon game of all time.

I hope I didn't miss any of my points, I could write a book on how amazing the plots symbolism and philosophy is.

This makes me even more excited to play it in a language I understand, haha. :P

Ichida
March 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
HG/SS are my favorites because not only were they fabulous remakes of a nostalgic classic, they were really TWO games in one. Two regions, two sets of badges. The following Pokemon was a mechanic we ached for ever since Yellow, and I am GRAVELY disappointed it did not carry over to Black and White.

I'm as excited for BW as everyone else, but when they come up with stupid ideas like the Wonder Launcher, one just starts to worry if they'll accept any idea these days. Any real competitor should be disgusted at that, IMO.

Why do they have to dick us around with this PokeTransfer? When will they learn to just let us migrate our entire collection at once and not waste our time with this?!

The triple battle thing is going to get confusing for me, IMO. I'll adapt as best I can, but I will continue to play nothing but Lv. 100 Single Battles against other players.

j2y8n2x
March 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
No.....Crystal is my favourite ever game.

I've finished playing my Black version in Japanese and I think the characters speak too much.
The trading time takes forever...it's so slow...

shinyabsol1
March 4th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Black and White are definitely great games...but for me, I think they fall just short of the title "greatest Pokemon game". For me, i would have to go with HG/SS. They are awesome remakes with fantastic graphics/music!

Katja
March 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
This makes me even more excited to play it in a language I understand, haha. :P

Yeah same. I'm so psyched

SeanSchulz
March 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Got my copy of white this morning. I must say this game is the best in pokemon history. Personally I'll be playing this game for along time to come.

shengar
March 6th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Black and White are definitely great games...but for me, I think they fall just short of the title "greatest Pokemon game". For me, i would have to go with HG/SS. They are awesome remakes with fantastic graphics/music!

Totally Agree with you. Gym leader and Elite Four redesign, i love 'em all especially Price, Morty, Mikan(forgot the english name), Lance and Blaine. Combined with the awesome battle music, i'm always hoping that they have harder battle to fit the music more.

adhdguitar
March 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Yes, I would say so. :)

Except maybe for the originals. =p

charlulz
March 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I would have to agree. this game is soooo fun, I am enjoying it way more than all of the others. My old favorite was emerald.

Kyoko
March 6th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I don't know, I don't think i'm ready to go calling it my favorite version just yet but it has held my attention more so than HG or Pearl for that matter. I'm only on the second gym, so I have yet to go through the whole plot and I haven't read anything on it (keeping it that way!).

However, as of right now, my favorite version is still old school crystal just because I adore the horrid 2D graphics (the 3D graphics will not cease to throw me off) and the city layouts/gym leaders/etc. Sapphire is a close second.

I do think B/W will make it in my top three though, if it doesn't take sapphire for the number 2 spot on my list ha ;P

Phototoxin
March 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
They're good. The part I will have difficulty with is transferring all my monz from plat and gold... it will take FOREVER!

molepeople27
March 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I don't know.
I really think it depends on what you grew up with.
But I've loved every pokemon rpg.
So i can't say fo' sho' XD

Forever
March 15th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I honestly think White at least, which I haven't even completed fully, is the best game ever. Sure there are some Pokemon that aren't that appealing, but on the plus side, the new features, the new region, the fact that there's only 156 straight away, and considering the fact that the region looks so great, yeah, I consider White the best at least. :D And when I fully complete it, I'm sure I'll still continue thinking that! Every minor flaw makes up for a major awesome thing, really. :)

lamby101
March 15th, 2011, 02:06 AM
It's a very good game, it's hard to judge between each of the series though.

The one thing I loved about B/W is the ending after the first time you go through the Pokemon League, I won't give any hints as I don't want to spoil it for people that don't know, but that's been my favourite part so far.

Sammuthegreat
March 15th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I don't think it's the best game ever. I think elements of it are better than in any other Pokemon game, like the plot and the general immersiveness of the atmosphere. There are also some brilliant set-pieces, like the lead up to climactic battle with N (avoiding spoilers here) and the battle itself; also when I first went over the Skyarrow Bridge I was pretty impressed.

One of the best thing Black and White do is distribute the Pokemon a bit more evenly. Whereas in past games - Diamond and Pearl especially, with Bidoofs everywhere - new Routes didn't necessarily mean new Pokemon, that really is the case in Black and White. Most new Routes contain not only a wide variety of Pokemon (instead of just Bidoof/Starly, or Bibarel/Staravia) but also new Pokemon; even quite early on (as in, after the first and second Gym) I actually found myself having to choose between several cool Pokemon of a similar level to fill out my eventual team, which was a novel and awesome experience. I already had more than 6 Pokemon I actually wanted to raise, as opposed to having my starter + 5 Bidoofs. It should also make Nuzlockes all the more special.

That's not to say the games aren't without their faults, though. There's no Pokewalker/Pokemon following the trainer, which is a big, big miss for me. There's also no Battle Frontier as far as I can tell, which is another great shame given that I'd just got into it in Gen IV. The Pokemon Musicals are a shoddy replacement for Pokeathlon and Contests; I've seen a few videos of them and never even been slightly tempted to try them, because they look pointless and irritating. And why do we have to hold B to run again?! Utterly inexplicable, I loved having the auto-run function in HG/SS; in fact, I never use the bike in those games. I really hope the 3rd game fixes at least some of these major complaints.

All in all, I think it's quite telling that I'm still keeping HeartGold as my main game, with my entire collection of Pokemon from Gens I-IV on it. I don't feel like I'll miss out by going back to HG after Black, although I'll definitely replay Black and White loads of times. There's loads more Gen V Pokemon I want to raise, and Black and White are fantastic games in their own right.

Dominus Temporis
March 15th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Hmm... best game yet? Tough to say, I'll see if I can't give a more definitive judgment when I play the English version on my DS. But so far...

I'd say it's definitely up there. I think the third version could very well be the best one when it comes out, since there's always bonus stuff added- but that's a year or two away so I'll ignore that for now.

Black and White did something really good in not presenting any older Pokemon until postgame, which forces the player to actually get to know the new batch hands-on, the first time the games have really done this. In generations past you could make teams entirely of first and second generation Pokemon and totally pass up the newbies.

Moving sprites and the huge increase in battle speed definitely make the game feel more realistic to me. More than ever, it feels like my Pokemon are living creatures as opposed to sprites on a screen, and the effort put into animating them all and even closing their eyes when asleep shows this was a labor of love, and I appreciate it.

The plot is also far deeper and more complex than anything that's come before, asking us to consider if catching and battling Pokemon is morally wrong. N is probably the most interesting, fleshed-out character the series has ever produced.

Right now I'd have to say Platinum is my choice for current best, but that may well change. I'm surprised at all the people saying the Johto games- what with the somewhat weak plot, terrible level curve, and barebones Kanto, I feel that from a critical standpoint they're actually the worst games. They look nice, yeah, but they're easy to play and they just feel rough and unfinished.

Honest
March 15th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Wasn't it IGN that gave it a perfect 40 out of 40?

Anyway, I think that it deserves the title as "best Pokemon game ever". The plot of the game was AMAZING. I really liked it, and all the new things and Pokemon just made it great. I'd certainly give it a perfect grade.

Ivlis
March 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Definitely the best Pokemon game ever. I've grown up with the original RBY, so seeing Pokemon come this far makes me really proud that I've grown up alongside it to see it become so impressive. :'D

There was just so much more thought that was put into this game than I've seen in any of the other Pokemon games so far. I honestly hated DPP with a passion and thought it tried but failed at presenting a complex plot, so this game is a pleasant surprise. I came into this game expecting a mediocre display of a plot that sounded good on paper, but it was executed so nicely that I just couldn't help but fall in love with it. It went depths into Pokemon that we'd never considered or even touched upon in other games.

ALSO another feeling I got from this game is how involved you feel in the plot. I mean I don't know, in the earlier games it just felt like you were some kid that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. There just didn't really feel like there was a reason for you to be doing whatever you were doing except OMG IT'S THE RIGHT THIIIIING. But N's odd interest in you really pulls you in the plot, makes you a real part of it rather than the punk kid just meddling around. Did anyone else get that feeling or was it just me? D:

Yusshin
March 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
In order, my favourites are:

#1: HGSS (Crystal; Gold; Silver)
#2: BW
#3: LGFR (Red; Green; Blue; Yellow)
#4: R/S/E
#5: P/D/Pt

BW is great, but HGSS surpasses it. BW introduced actively moving sprites, but HGSS introduced interactive walking sprites of all Pokemon - an improvement to PKMN Yellow, which had Pikachu available. BW removed perfect breeding (a problem for many); HGSS didn't mind it, or just ignored its existence without realizing it at least. Though BW introduced new Pokemon, half or more do not have any charisma, and are plain ugly or unrealistic for "living creatures" roaming a Pokemon region (I'm looking at you, Klink, Conkeldur thing, Sawk, Throh, Confragigus, Garbordor, Vanilluxe, Amoongus, Chandelure, Crygonal, Bisharp, ). HGSS focused more on the first generations where Pokemon were more animal-like, with the sole exception of Magnemite. As time went on, I found Nintendo strive away from a human-animal environment, and more towards a human-wtfisthis environment. Their ideas are running out, so now they're resorting to distorting objects into Pokemon to fill space.

There are other examples. It's not nostalgia; BW is #2 for me, where P/D/Pt sucked bad and is at #5. It's the fact BW left out a lot of stuff (headbutt trees, berries, apricots, night/day Pokemon, Level 100 WiFi battles, etc.) and replaced it with unsatisfactory material and unthoughtful Pokemon. The additions of seasons was nice, but not many Pokemon are affected by it, and it doesn't really affect appearance rates that much either, except on certain bird species in winter being replaced with x Ice Pokemon. Night/day had a lot more doors compared to seasons - though, had Nintendo exploited it well enough, seasons could have been equally as interesting. I just find their attempt at it poor.

HGSS and BW share equally interesting storylines, but BW doesn't allow you to venture into other regions, etc. which is nice about HGSS. Also adds more gameplay.

I've done ~45h on Black since last Wednesday'ish, 'am at the final gym. Audino grinding is probably the cheapest method of leveling, but hey, they removed rebattles (which HGSS had, to an extent), so they had to replace it with something, I guess.

2cents.

Shinjiaoki94
March 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM
In order, my favourites are:

#1: HGSS (Crystal; Gold; Silver)
#2: BW
#3: LGFR (Red; Green; Blue; Yellow)
#4: R/S/E
#5: P/D/Pt

BW is great, but HGSS surpasses it. BW introduced actively moving sprites, but HGSS introduced interactive walking sprites of all Pokemon - an improvement to PKMN Yellow, which had Pikachu available. BW removed perfect breeding (a problem for many); HGSS didn't mind it, or just ignored its existence without realizing it at least. Though BW introduced new Pokemon, half or more do not have any charisma, and are plain ugly or unrealistic for "living creatures" roaming a Pokemon region (I'm looking at you, Klink, Conkeldur thing, Sawk, Throh, Confragigus, Garbordor, Vanilluxe, Amoongus, Chandelure, Crygonal, Bisharp, ). HGSS focused more on the first generations where Pokemon were more animal-like, with the sole exception of Magnemite. As time went on, I found Nintendo strive away from a human-animal environment, and more towards a human-wtfisthis environment. Their ideas are running out, so now they're resorting to distorting objects into Pokemon to fill space.

There are other examples. It's not nostalgia; BW is #2 for me, where P/D/Pt sucked bad and is at #5. It's the fact BW left out a lot of stuff (headbutt trees, berries, apricots, night/day Pokemon, Level 100 WiFi battles, etc.) and replaced it with unsatisfactory material and unthoughtful Pokemon. The additions of seasons was nice, but not many Pokemon are affected by it, and it doesn't really affect appearance rates that much either, except on certain bird species in winter being replaced with x Ice Pokemon. Night/day had a lot more doors compared to seasons - though, had Nintendo exploited it well enough, seasons could have been equally as interesting. I just find their attempt at it poor.

HGSS and BW share equally interesting storylines, but BW doesn't allow you to venture into other regions, etc. which is nice about HGSS. Also adds more gameplay.

I've done ~45h on Black since last Wednesday'ish, 'am at the final gym. Audino grinding is probably the cheapest method of leveling, but hey, they removed rebattles (which HGSS had, to an extent), so they had to replace it with [i]something[/u], I guess.

2cents.

So too speak, BW is certainly great with exception for Pokemon design...
I miss the auto use of Running in HGSS already :(
Though the C-gear is better off being one of selection in the menu rather than the whole lower screen :P

fenyx4
March 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM
The plot is also far deeper and more complex than anything that's come before, [S-HIGHLIGHT]asking us to consider if catching and battling Pokemon is morally wrong[/S-HIGHLIGHT]. N is probably the most interesting, fleshed-out character the series has ever produced.

See, this is why this generation would've been the PERFECT time to introduce Missingno. as an official Pokemon, where it could keep its gamebreaking effects but be perfectly OK at the same time. Take Hall of Fame data for example. Your data would LOOK like its corrupted, but it is not in actually. Simply releasing Missingno. would eliminate Missingno.'s "graphical tricks" and such. Even if unintentional and its status as a Pokemon unofficial, Missingno. demonstrated to players all the way back in Generation 1 why catching every Pokemon/adhering to "Gotta Catch 'Em All" isn't necessarily a good idea.

Anyway, the Pokemon Black and White Versions games started out as being contenders for "best Pokemon games ever", and I hadn't even played them yet. The first two revealed Unova-native Pokemon were awesome, the legendary mascots were awesome, the names were cool, the starters were cool...until I started learning about the removal of so many good features and the addition of unnecessary ones that weren't optional (i.e., having all Pokemon revealed to opponents in Link Battles), then I knew that their quality was going to be FAR from garnering them the title of "best Pokemon game ever", especially coming off the heels of the innovative HeartGold and SoulSilver (which I haven't played either, yet am already impressed with the multitude of features they retained and introduced). :( I am sincerely hoping that Gray Version can rectify all of BW's perceived flaws, because a Gen V product that does not unnecessarily tinker with features would be awesome.

MiSoRamen
March 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM
List in order by my personal favorites of the Pokemon series

1. RSE
2. FRLG or RB
3. BW
4. HGSS or SGC
5. DPP

Great game but does not earn the title :(
What does your list look like?

Kirbychu
March 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
White is officially my favorite Pokemon game, and Unova is tied with Hoenn for the best region. My biggest concern is the Pokemon designs, everything else is fantastic. It appears that the new Pokemon really aren't being well-received. I wonder how Japan feels about them? Maybe Game Freak will take note of this.

BlakTheGreat
March 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Black and White.... wow I feel old since I grew up with R,B,Y. I'm definitely impressed with the amount of changes this franchise has undergone throughout my childhood. Not a fan of the pokemon design for this series though some do stick out as pretty badass IMO.

Sweet Visions
March 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM
As someone who's interest in the series was waning, B/W definitely restored it and I am officially addicted to White and it is the funnest thing ever.

Waffle-San
March 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
For me, Black and White are the best non third version Pokemon games ever. Its kind of unfare to compare them to Crystal, Emerald and Platinum though if I had to compare them I'd say they are definately superior to Crystal and Platinum and probably Emerald. Are they the best games in every aspect? Certainly not. HGSS has a great interface, Pokemon walking behind you and the Pokeathelon; Emerald has an amazing Battle Frontier etc. But BW brings everything together so nice: a fresh feel, above average character design, a likeable (I love them) set of new Pokemon, an awesome region and the game breaker: a far superior plot. I wasn't sure of how I would rank the games pre-elite 4 due to my dissapointment with the gym leader teams but the conclusion of the game and N's plot make it, to me, the greatest Pokemon games ever.

Now if we could just get a Battle Frontier. I would be so, so happy!! :)

List:

1. BW
2. HGSS/Emerald
3. Gold/Silver/Crystal
4. Platinum
5. FireRed LeafGreen
6. Red/Blue
7. DP

(I never played Yellow. :( )

Destiny.
March 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I'm a little meh. They're alright, I guess. Just all the dialogue boxes and nice graphics are a tad superficial. And the new Pokemon seem forced/unoriginal

Elric of Grans
March 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I am four gyms into Black so far and really enjoying it. The game is not without its flaws, but a real stand-out for me. Looking back, I started with Red and, later, Yellow. Great games with a simple, yet effective concept. I then played Gold. The advancements over RBGY were astounding, but I ultimately found it a boring game. For all its technical improvements, a lot of the game felt like a lazy rehash. I tried a little of Diamond and Emerald, but could not get into that generation at all. They felt technically inferior to Gold, and only slightly more interesting. I came back with Platinum and was pleased to see a good compromise made. Good features, good game-play, and interesting plot. A few minor flaws, but ultimately the best I had played. I then tried SoulSilver, but still find that generation boring and lost interest after the third gym. So far, I am enjoying Black more than Platinum and finding the Pokemon generally more interesting (probably because I am not capturing YET ANOTHER Geodude/Zubat/etc!). The interface is pathetic and probably the worst in the series. I cannot believe how badly they messed up there! The features have taken one step backwards, but mostly ones I barely used anyway. I believe Black could challenge Platinum's place on my top-game-list.

Shinjiaoki94
March 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
The Pokemon game is crumbling from Generation III and up, as you ought to know because the original creator of Pokemon was no longer participating in designing of Pokemon up from Gen III. Which explain why Pokemon has less appealing than it was 10 years ago...

-Neji-
March 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I'd say Black and White would have to be 7/10 for me, I was disappointed with most of the new Pokemon to be honest. Most of them remind me of Gen 1...and that isn't a good thing.

I have to agree with that bit, even though the start of your post turned me off to read the rest of it, I think your worthy of getting a reply =P

Little things like Timburr pretty much replacing machomp, not only the fact that it's last form needs a trade to evolve. But the fact that mountain climbers have them all the time and certain team plasma grunts . And that bat thing (reminding me of zubat) team plasma likes that aswell. So yeah I see where your coming from mr. インフェルノの津波

Peace =]

.EJ
March 16th, 2011, 07:07 AM
At first when I saw the screenshots and everything I was a little doubtful about just how different it would be from previous games. However after playing it for hours on end I realize it still has that familiarity as previous games but with enough new things and nice-looking UI to love it.

I haven't spent enough time on Pokemon White yet but so far it would appear it's definitely one of the best pokemon games.

travisjb1990
March 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I think that Black and White are the greatest Pokemon games. The Pokemon are awesome. The games are so much fun and have so much to do. I love Black and White. I like them way better than any of the older games.

Daikenki
March 17th, 2011, 08:08 AM
To me personally, Gold and Silver/ Heart gold and Soul Silver, will always be the best games. They have replay value for me, and that added nostalgic factor. But don't think I am hating on black and White! I adore these games. They are challenging, fresh, unique, and have awesome features that I enjoy taking advantage of. The plot is nice, allbeit annoying because I hate the P.E.T.A clones and N is weird, but it was better than Diamond and Pearl's plot. The pokemon may be awkward looking, but how would you feel if gen V game out before gen I? So the pokemon are okay with me, and I accept them.

I know there is going to be a new generation, and that generation game will be featured on the 3DS most likely, and it'll have even better graphics and better features, and it'll be called the greatest game of all time, but my heart belongs to gen II.

booish99
March 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
So far, White has been a great game, lots of things going on at once that keep you immersed in the game. I must say though, BW isn't the best in my opinion. I think Gold/Silver or Red/Yellow/Blue are still the best sets of games. They are what started this machine of a game, and are what I will always look back to when I play future games.