PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] English games have no region codes

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 4th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Apparently, region coding is non-existent on English copies (so far) of Pokémon Black and White. Your copy of Black/White that you grabbed from the UK would work on your American DSi. Just as well, an American (I'll wait for American games to come out before I judge this) copy would work in a Japanese DSi. In fact, it's almost as if the games were DS lite games.

Yet, a Japanese copy is definitely region-locked, and will not work on a DSi that isn't Japanese. This is… a strange precedent. It gave out the direct implication that publishers are free to pick if a game is region-coded or not. I suppose that TPCi decided that it would be easier to make a universal English release that worked on all DSi consoles regardless of region.

What do you think? Would you have imported anyway?

So I was somewhat wrong in the FAQ. Give or take, but don't sue me - you missed out on a week only.

Plus, I can't confirm if the US release also is region-free or not until someone gives me the production codes, which can be found at the bottom-right corner of the game box.

bwburke94
March 4th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Wow, didn't expect that. Why is the region coding absent if DSi-only functions are in the game?

ShinyMeowth
March 4th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Region-locking is a very cheap and ridiculous trick. I have a friend who moved from Japan to the US, and his wii could not play any games he bought there. I am glad my cartridges are clean.

Beechlgz
March 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Wait... does this mean that Black and White won't work on an older DS?

Forever
March 4th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Nope, it'll still work on an older DS, but it just refers to the fact that on the DSi, no matter what region your games were from, you can still play them on it.

tajio
March 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM
So does this mean in theory it won't be region locked on the 3DS either?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
March 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Interesting development, it would have been nice though if the original Jp versions weren't region locked as I had friends who wanted to import the JP one's but couldn't as they had a American DSI and would have gone to the trouble of buying a JP DSI...

Bluerang1
March 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
This is GREAT! for me! Now I won't hesitate to get a British version of Pokemon Black. OMG! *Squeels* But I still have to wait a while until I actually get it to me here in Lagos. But yes! God is GOOD! :D

JP
March 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
So does this affect being able to trade from a Japanese Gen5 game to an English one? I've always been a little foggy about this detail.

Sora's Nobody
March 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Are you sure the English BW games are region-free? I contacted a pretty famous danish website who sell games, the person had no idea on how to find out if they were region locked, so i asked her to look at the back and tell me if it said TWL- and then something. She said yes their was. As far as i know Denmark get their shipment from the UK as the game is in english.

fenyx4
March 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
This thread might need to be retitled to "English games region-free/not region-locked"...on first glance, I thought that the English Black and White Version cartridges literally had no region(s) on them - as in, the entire Unova region was somehow missing. Thankfully, that was not the case. >_>

Region-locking is a very cheap and ridiculous trick. I have a friend who moved from Japan to the US, and his wii could not play any games he bought there. I am glad my cartridges are clean.

Oh that sucks. :( The only "use" I can see for region-locking is controlling the gaming economy of different countries somehow...but overall, I think it's just a stupid idea, especially if it can be implemented at the discretion of publishers rather than being a hardware/software limitation. :cer_pissed:

Anyway, this "region-free" development doesn't really affect me as I don't import games, but I'm glad that other players will benefit from it.

ShinyMeowth
March 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
This thread might need to be retitled to "English games region-free/not region-locked"...on first glance, I thought that the English Black and White Version cartridges literally had no region(s) on them - as in, the entire Unova region was somehow missing. Thankfully, that was not the case. >_>

Oh that sucks. :( The only "use" I can see for region-locking is controlling the gaming economy of different countries somehow...but overall, I think it's just a stupid idea, especially if it can be implemented at the discretion of publishers rather than being a hardware/software limitation. :cer_pissed:

Anyway, this "region-free" development doesn't really affect me as I don't import games, but I'm glad that other players will benefit from it.Yes, it is all about controlling he gaming economy. And where has this led us? From what I have read and seen (as in pre-order prices in some major Greek retailers' websites), the 3DS is going to be 270 euros in Greece, while in the US it is going to be 250 dollars. "A difference of just 20? Big deal" you may think, but look again, it's a different currency. 270 euros is 377 dollars. We get the 3DS for ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS MORE THAN THE US. Plus, with region-locking most games we get here won't work with an American 3DS. So we basically have to suck it up and pay the 270 euros instead of importing one. We get to pay 1.5 times its price just for living here. Do you still have any faith in region-locking?

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
So does this affect being able to trade from a Japanese Gen5 game to an English one? I've always been a little foggy about this detail.
Who knows? They've been mostly compatible with each other since Ruby/Sapphire, and international support was improved since Diamond/Pearl. I doubt they'd make a complete reversal of compatibility features, and if they did, you'd most likely still be able to connect to different-language games using the Wi-Fi Connection.

Are you sure the English BW games are region-free? I contacted a pretty famous danish website who sell games, the person had no idea on how to find out if they were region locked, so i asked her to look at the back and tell me if it said TWL- and then something. She said yes their was. As far as i know Denmark get their shipment from the UK as the game is in english.
TWL indicates that the title is a DSi title. The region appears to be identifiable by the last letter of production code, which is in the format "TWL * ****". Japanese games have the code "J" at the end. English games have an "O" at the end, and as it turns out, they're the same across Europe and Australia, and possibly America. (The production code is also in the game's header - whether that alone determines region locking is currently unknown.)

For the note, DSi games usually have their own codes - Europe is "P", the US is "E", and Japan is "J". I don't know what Australia's is, though.

Games with the production code "TWL P IRBO", Black's English version, which is currently seeling in the UK right now, as well as and the version that's been released to press members in Australia, have been tested in a Japanese 3DS. They work.

Lukar
March 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
One site got review copies of both games, but only White seemed to be playable on their non-(insert native region here) DSi. I can't remember what site it was, but eh. Maybe the region locks are defective on certain versions/copies?

j2y8n2x
March 4th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I agree...Pokemon games shouldn't be region locked, since it's such an international game.

I'm glad that most of my friends and I went for Japanese DSL's though, that means the English copy would work on our consoles.

JP
March 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
So I just got my American version, it's got "TWL-IRAO". Region locked or no?

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 6th, 2011, 07:19 AM
It's the same as all the other English versions. I think we have our answer - no region lock whatsoever. So thanks for confirming!

English versions of Black and White seem to be the same copy across the world. Same code, same master source, different sticker on the game card.

BleuVII
March 8th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Pokemon Black and White are DSi-enhanced, but that also means that there are regional lockouts on certain versions. For the past 3 days, I have been trying to find information on which versions work on which system. Please post here to compile a list of which carts work in which systems. We will organize it by the game cartridges. Post as you test different versions in different systems.

Two important notes:
1. Do not, under any circumstances, use this thread to talk about emulators, roms, or those cards that allow you play pirated copies through microSD cards. This is for official game carts and official systems only.

2. The original DS and DS Lite do not have region locking. Every DS and DS Lite will play any region's version, so there is no need to post on it.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Japanese Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
North American Systems: X
Australian Systems: X
European Systems: X
Korean Systems: X

[S-HIGHLIGHT]North American Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
Japanese Systems: O
Australian Systems: ??
European Systems: ??
Korean Systems: ??

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Australian Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
North American Systems: ??

[S-HIGHLIGHT]European Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
Japanese Systems: ??

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Korean Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Forever
March 8th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Pokemon Black and White are DSi-enhanced, but that also means that there are regional lockouts on certain versions. For the past 3 days, I have been trying to find information on which versions work on which system. Please post here to compile a list of which carts work in which systems. We will organize it by the game cartridges. Post as you test different versions in different systems.

Two important notes:
1. Do not, under any circumstances, use this thread to talk about emulators, roms, or those cards that allow you play pirated copies through microSD cards. This is for official game carts and official systems only.

2. The original DS and DS Lite do not have region locking. Every DS and DS Lite will play any region's version, so there is no need to post on it.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Japanese Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
North American Systems: X
Australian Systems: X
European Systems: X
Korean Systems: X

[S-HIGHLIGHT]North American Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Australian Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]European Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Korean Game Cartridges[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

This is covered by the region codes thread, though your list can come in handy. :x

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
And covered by the FAQ. There's no large lists or anything behind Nintendo's region lock scheme, as I'll explain right now.

In order to play a DSi-enhanced game, the region code must match. Most DSi-enhanced games, as well as 3DS titles, will have a region code assigned to them. English versions of Pokémon Black and White have an "O" code assigned to them, which all DSi systems appear to be capable of playing. However, for all other titles, there is a code - you can see this on the DS game card.

J - Japanese
E - American (English)
P - Europe (PAL)
O - no region (open?)
? - Australia (might be P as well)
K - Korea

Japanese copies of Black and White have a distinct "J" code. I haven't found out what Italian/French/German/Spanish versions' codes are (they'd likely be P) nor Korea's.
edit: The region code for Korea's SKU is "K". This would be congruent with the DSi's K region, so I would assume the Korean versions are region-locked.

The Pokémon Company International apparently found it easier to distribute English versions without a region as they aimed to leave it consistent across all English-speaking territories. It's better to mass-produce one SKU than to produce two or three needless ones.

Twiggy
March 8th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Also, I'll have to make a point now - I heard that Aus/NZ's something. The firmware is A, in case it helps. Just saying. And apparently, the German version did work on someone's Japanese DSi. What would you say about that?

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 8th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Also, I'll have to make a point now - I heard that Aus/NZ's something. The firmware is A, in case it helps. Just saying. And apparently, the German version did work on someone's Japanese DSi. What would you say about that?
I concede that there may be more than meets the eye to the matter, so I guess I'll call Nintendo and find out from them how it works. They probably won't have an answer anyway.

BleuVII
March 8th, 2011, 06:46 PM
And I've read (unconfirmed) reports saying that North American carts don't work in Au/NZ systems. At least, that's what the import sites are warning.

Twiggy
March 8th, 2011, 06:52 PM
And I've read (unconfirmed) reports saying that North American carts don't work in Au/NZ systems. At least, that's what the import sites are warning.

Import sites? If it's a seller, ignore them - apparently, some of them are wrong.

Silent Storm
March 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM
For those that were unsure if NA cards worked on European DSi, I can confirm that they do in fact work on them (tried it with my UK DSi when I got home).

GoldenMoron
April 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Have just ordered an american 3ds as well as the australian copy of the game, the code on the game is TWL P IRAO (may come in handy)
aussie (and supposedly all english versions) should be region-free. will test this one out when the shipping comes together, n let you guys know.

Blue
April 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM
D/P/PT had region codes, I expected B/W to aswell, ah well that's good news!

The Nightmare
April 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM

It does work on the older ds, I played black on my ds original and played on the internet it will work but if the new ones come out then it won't work because it's in 3Ds or other consoles.

GoldenMoron
April 16th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Have just ordered an american 3ds as well as the australian copy of the game, the code on the game is TWL P IRAO (may come in handy)
aussie (and supposedly all english versions) should be region-free. will test this one out when the shipping comes together, n let you guys know.

here to confirm in all certainty that the australian version of black/white is indeed region-free; it works on the US 3DS. reportedly, it works on japanese consoles, and ill bet it works on any other console too.

i suspect it's because australia currently sells at the highest price, so if nintendo's motive is price control, its region-free characteristic certainly reflects that.

Meinfoo
April 16th, 2011, 02:24 AM
This is great! Region locking has always just been pain.

NatureKeeper
April 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I want a US game tested on a 3DS system, since I am probably getting a 3DS from Europe. Can somebody try this please? =3

morrison
April 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I noticed that although I have a european english copy (from european nintendo(which i bought in a game shop in South Africa)) it wasn't anglicised. it still had 'farther' in its text which is American, so I think there is actually no difference between American and European English cartidges.