• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Surely That's Not a Pokémon Gym?!

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
Years
I didn't see a thread discussing the Pokémon gym designs So I decided to post one ^^
This thread was inspired by me walking around looking for the first gym for ages, not realising it was the restaurant [I didn't want to spoil the game before it came out so I had no idea what to look for ^^]

What was your favourite design for exterior?
What was your favourite design for interior?
What was your least favourite design for exterior?
What was your least favourite design for interior?

:) If you haven't finished the game yet, just comment on what you've seen so far :)

My favourite exterior design was Clay's because it looked a bit like a glass palace :D
My favourite interior design was Skyla's gym. The cannons were cool and really added a bit of childish fun to the usual puzzles :)
My least favourite design for exterior was Burgh's. Mainly because I couldnt see it at the side with Castelia's 3D graphics >>
Least favourite gym for interior? Probably Striaton city. They could have done so much more with a restaurant theme in my opinion.

I really liked how they made the exterior unique to the gym leader in this game and made the building fit in with the town ^^ It was a pleasant surprise for me!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I enjoyed most in this game how there were puzzles, but they weren't too difficult or time-consuming, so you just spent more time enjoying the scenery. I really enjoyed the ice gym, I just like the sliding around puzzles a lot.

My favorite design-wise had to be the Nimbasa gym. So rollercoaster-y~

Midnight Jog

Poké-Baller!
Years
The Castelia gym was absolutely amazing and gorgeous. So impressive. I had a lot of fun walking around and the green and gold paint drips looks so good. Very interesting.

Nimbasa's gym was also really fun. Love the mini-coaster!

Last edited:

Genshu

Idealistic Seeker Of Truth
Years
I really enjoyed the Ice Gym as well, one of those think before you make a move situations. Clay's gym was kinda like that too. i had trouble with that one ha.
I love how all the gyms have small puzzles to solve, it really adds to the game.

Years
  • Seen Feb 29, 2024
I disliked most of these gyms, to be honest. I'm starting to miss the days of yore when the designs of gyms were simplistic yet still challenging - these new gyms just have such a different feel to them.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years

-Kamitsure's (Elesa) gym

-the 8th gym
-Arti's gym

What was your least favourite design for exterior?

N/A

What was your least favourite design for interior?

-Aloe (Lenora)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So far, I've only reached up to Clay's. By far his was the most annoying. Elesa's was the best design, though the most fun was Burgh's. :)

Lenora and the three brothers was well... boring to me :x Hopefully the other gym's are awesome.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
Years
I have mixed feelings about the gyms. On one hand, I miss the gyms that were more puzzling... because I love puzzles. However, some of these gyms did prove a bit puzzling at certain points and weren't as time consuming.

What was your favourite design for exterior? Clays. No particular reason.
What was your favourite design for interior? It would have to be a tie between the last one and Elesa's. The first time I entered both of them, I have to confess, I was impressed.
What was your least favourite design for exterior? Striaton City's. Once again, no particular reason.
What was your least favourite design for interior? Burgh's. I just didn't like it and the honey thing was annoying.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
I still wish Gyms were more than they are. I want Zelda-type dungeons, which take ages to get through, with wild Pokemon, and the Gym Leader being the boss at the end. They are getting close with the puzzles, but a Gym is completed far too quickly and easily for my liking.

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 29, 2011
a favorite of mine was the gym in mistralton city, its not everyday you get shot out of a cannon!(and overshooting it, smack into a wall...ouch!)

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Lenora and the three brothers was well... boring to me :x Hopefully the other gym's are awesome.

They are, trust me ;)
Especially Skyla's, who you seem to like.

I loved these gyms so much! They were all unique in their own ways and weren't the same boring design on the exterior like previous games. The interiors were more complex, challenging, and most of all; fun. These are definately my favorite gyms ever.

Now, let's see what the Pokemon League looks like, i'm currently on Victory Road [: Hopefully i'll be there soon!

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
Elesa's was pretty cool. It was next to a Ferris Wheel.
I loved Elesa's interior as well with the coasters. Skyla's was pretty cool too. With all the cannons.
What was your least favourite design for exterior? Lenora's because it was just a plain museum.
What was your least favourite design for interior? The Striaton Gym, because, it wasn't very interesting to me. I know, it's a restaurant and stuff, but I've known that for a while, so it wasn't new.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
Years
the only gym that i found that i really like is elesa's gym. the rollar coasters are awesome. other than that i dont really like or dislike any other gyms as of yet. i just made it to clays gym tho

Years
I didn't like Lenora's gym puzzle. I didn't really understand it, I just spoke to everyone and checked all the books. As for the rest, I didn't really like or dislike any of them.

Years
I really liked the Dragon gym, especially the outside, I thought the design was very original.

I didn't really like the inside of, I think it was Burgh's, gym. The honey stuff just got annoying and for whatever reason I just wasn't too impressed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay seen all the gyms now. Overall, favourite is now probably the dragon gym, mainly because the scenes zoomed out of the dragon's heads look amazing. Ice is also pretty awesome when it comes to escaping. Skyla's just pretty much confused me for a bit. XD

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 6, 2013
What was your favourite design for exterior? Opelucid. It's definitely grand. I may even call it epic.
What was your favourite design for interior? Mistralton Gym. So much fun!
What was your least favourite design for exterior? Castelia Gym. It couldn't have been less interesting. Though having said that it may be very attractive, I just couldn't see any of it.
What was your least favourite design for interior? Striaton Gym. It was... boring. They wasted a lot of potential for the design of a restaurant.

Generally I think the puzzles were a little basic in this game. In DPPt/HGSS I would return to gyms every now and then just to do the Gym puzzles because they were so fun. There's nothing calling me back to the gyms of BW, with the exception of Opelucid and Mistralton.

Back