PDA

View Full Version : DS vs. PSP

Pages : [1] 2

Spectrum
December 9th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Well, here ya have it. A comparison of the DS and PSP, sent to me by a person who wishes to remain anonymous. It's the same game, Ridge Racer, on both consoles.

http://img86.exs.cx/img86/2985/11009598374934pp.jpg

After seeing this, which one are you getting?

fudge01
December 9th, 2004, 04:35 AM
DS gfx are not everything you know i would still like it if they were 2d ^_^ and i don't play those kind of games much so meh!

Timbjerr
December 9th, 2004, 04:45 AM
those clearly aren't the same games. Just look at the positioning of guages and stuff. Most games leave that kind of stuff in the same place even when they cross console boundaries.

This particular debate has become kinda heated in the past, i'll leave it open for now, but at the first sign of flames, this'll get closed.

Intuition
December 9th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Yeah.. But I like the DS more :) ^^

Spectrum
December 9th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Actually, they are the same game. When games cross platforms, they tend to look different. Take the Harry Potter games, for example. But anyway, the point of this is to show the difference in graphics between the two consoles.

As for me, I'll probably be getting the PSP, if they end up porting DS emulation onto it. Otherwise, I'll probably get the DS.

Intuition
December 9th, 2004, 04:55 AM
I allready have the normal PS2.. So I'll only get the DS ^^

fudge01
December 9th, 2004, 04:57 AM
DS for sure casue it can play gba games ^_^ i love my 2d games eh psp meh

Intuition
December 9th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Yeah? I didn't know it could play the GBA games ^^ lol

Dawson
December 9th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Those screens are biased towards the PSP. They show the PSP's graphical superiority but they haven't shown the DS's twin screens or touch sensitive capabilities. I'll be getting the DS. I already have a PS2 and I aint paying a shedload of money for a smaller,less capable version of it.

fudge01
December 9th, 2004, 05:13 AM
although that pictures looks low quaility needs to be saved in a better format o.O

Intuition
December 9th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Lol, it doesn't show the true power of the DS! ^^

Dawson
December 9th, 2004, 05:21 AM
You know what's on the second screen? a map of the track, which I think racing games stopped using circa 1998. And who'd wanna use a touchscreen to drive a car? :P
I see no bias, just one console that seems more equiped to handle tomorrow, than the other.
Yes but this is a thread comparing the consoles, not how one game plays on both consoles. Look at games like Metroid Prime: First Hunt and how that uses the touch screen. Or how Madden uses both screens. It's unfair to showcase the same game on both consoles because it only shows the PSP's graphic advantage and not any of the DS's features.

Lucifer
December 9th, 2004, 05:27 AM
The way I see it, there's little to differentiate the PSP from the PS2 apart from the fact that one's portable. So what exactly is the point? I mean, with the GBA developers were forced to utilise the hardware that was available to them, which allowed for more original versions of current home console games to come about (Kingdom Hearts: CoM?). With the PSP that will be no more. Devil May Cry PSP will be your run-of-the-mill DMC game, etc etc. The only genre that I see benefiting from the huge leap is sports games. I can't wait to play Pro Evolution Soccer on Sony's handheld.

The PSP skips an entire generation - namely, the DS. Imagine if that would've happened before the GBA's launch, and the entire 16-bit handheld era had been ignored? No Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion, Tactics Advance, Mario ports... Likewise, should the DS be crushed by the PSP (unlikely. Thank the lord for Pokemon and their console-selling ways) we'll see no more 64-bit handheld games, possible Ocarina of Time/Smash Brothers/Mario Tennis/whatever ports or remakes. I just think Sony's giant leap to modern-day visuals is a shame for those of us who enjoy the nostalgia of playing games that are either remade classics, or at the very least in the same style as them.

The GBA is a portal back to the days of the SNES. With the PSP, the future of handhelds is exactly the same as the future of home consoles. Where's the fun in that?

(For the record, I'll be getting both)

Dawson
December 9th, 2004, 05:44 AM
The way I see it, there's little to differentiate the PSP from the PS2 apart from the fact that one's portable. So what exactly is the point?
Unfortunately the PSP is what it was designed to be, a portable Playstation. Which is why I hate Sony so much. They should have put a lot of thought into what they wanted from their first handheld console. Like you said, they skipped a generation. Now instead of buying old psone classics that we haven't played for years, we'll be making the choice whether to play a game on a full screen TV or on a portable screen. I know which one I'd pick.

Brittany
December 9th, 2004, 05:46 AM
The GBA is a portal back to the days of the SNES. With the PSP, the future of handhelds is exactly the same as the future of home consoles. Where's the fun in that?

(For the record, I'll be getting both)
Actually, I don't see the fun in getting 64-bit games that have diminished from my memories lord knows how long ago.
I can definetly see your point, but it's still not my style.

And I know that you didn't really mean exactly when you said it, but the games won't be exactly the same. For example, FFVII:CC will only be for PSP, and not PS2 XD
I won't list another example, because that alone is good enough reason for me to get PSP :P

And for the record, I'll be getting DS just for FFIII and the Pokemon games.

Burne Starcofski
December 9th, 2004, 05:48 AM
He's right, this is only shots of ONE game. It could be the other way around, for instance:

When Need For Speed: Underhround 2 comes out for both, on the PSP it may look better, but the DS would offer more options on the Paint jobs, (Like custome drawing and/or placing vinyl and paint.)

I agree that while the PSP looks better on the PSP, you have to figure in that the DS needed some space for the Double Screen Coordination.

Lucifer
December 9th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Actually, I don't see the fun in getting 64-bit games that have diminished from my memories lord knows how long ago.
I can definetly see your point, but it's still not my style.

Like phoenix316 said above, that list kinda includes 32-bit PSOne games as well. Plus they'd be more polished, of course. Just like the GBA (in most cases) improved upon the general style used for SNES games. The Minish Cap's a good example of this. If that game'd been released for the SNES 10 years ago it'd have blown peoples' minds (slight exaggeration maybe, but y'know what I mean). I can imagine the same thing will happen for DS-developed games (just look at Mario 64 DS. Mario is far more detailed than he was in his blocky N64 appearance).

Oh and of course, the screen will be clearer. I've always had problems with my N64 putting out a fuzzy picture, which is partly why I don't play it anymore.

I know FFVII:CC will be a PSP-exclusive, but basically there's no real reason why it can't be launched on the PS2. That's sort of what I mean - there's no real difference between the two apart from the fact that one can be played on the move.

Pokemon Master #1
December 9th, 2004, 08:08 AM
I am a loyal Nintendo fan so i'm going with the DS.

Brittany
December 9th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Like phoenix316 said above, that list kinda includes 32-bit PSOne games as well. Plus they'd be more polished, of course. Just like the GBA (in most cases) improved upon the general style used for SNES games. The Minish Cap's a good example of this. If that game'd been released for the SNES 10 years ago it'd have blown peoples' minds (slight exaggeration maybe, but y'know what I mean). I can imagine the same thing will happen for DS-developed games (just look at Mario 64 DS. Mario is far more detailed than he was in his blocky N64 appearance).

Oh and of course, the screen will be clearer. I've always had problems with my N64 putting out a fuzzy picture, which is partly why I don't play it anymore.

I know FFVII:CC will be a PSP-exclusive, but basically there's no real reason why it can't be launched on the PS2. That's sort of what I mean - there's no real difference between the two apart from the fact that one can be played on the move.
Hmm, I can't really imagine our favorite PSOne games getting ported to DS. I mean, do you really want 6-cartridge DS games?
I think that DS will probably stick to N64 games far more than they would to PS1 games XD
I'm not putting down n64 games at all though, so please don't misunderstand me. It's just that... well, they're smaller than PS1 games. XD

Plus, don't you think PSOne games have a greater chance of getting ported to PSP?

Lucifer
December 9th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Not really. I'd expect Sony want developers to maximize the PSP's graphical potential. So unless it were vastly updated, I don't expect to see the fabled Final Fantasy VII remake alot of people are speculating over any time soon.

Not all PSOne games would be beyond the DS. The likes of Resident Evil and Tony Hawk's were released for the N64 after all. I don't know all the ins and outs of consoles, but if games like Perfect Dark and Ocarina of Time squeezed onto the N64 then I don't see why some PSOne titles couldn't get a DS make-over.

Not that I'd want any, of course. With the exception of the Final Fantasy series and a couple of others I hated the PSOne. XD

THIRTY-SIX
December 9th, 2004, 09:42 AM
er i dont get what the poll is for is it for which is better or which one are u getting? well ill vote for ds cuz i no more bout it :P

Brittany
December 9th, 2004, 11:26 AM
er i dont get what the poll is for is it for which is better or which one are u getting? well ill vote for ds cuz i no more bout it :PIt's for whatever you want. *hands over a magic rainbow*

Let your dreams decide what the poll should be! xD

Burne Starcofski
December 10th, 2004, 05:48 AM
(That's a lot of freedom.....)

BTW: When, EXACTLY, does the PSP come Stateside?

Carlito-san
December 10th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Those pics are Biased.I mean,clearly for the same game the PSP is better,for better Graphics.But the DS has at least non-port games.And better gameplay.*coughmetalgearcough*

pokejungle
December 10th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I don't know how the PSP will ever beat the DS. Once you feel how good touch really is, you're hooked!

Carlito-san
December 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I don't know how the PSP will ever beat the DS. Once you feel how good touch really is, you're hooked!
Wight.it wont.Impossible.See,the PSP is a stupid idea.I already have a MP3 player(Ipod)a DVD player that I can get movies for for 19.99,And a Game player(DS)why would I buy that black paperweight?

pokejungle
December 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I know. Sony has its head screwed up. ~_~

Carlito-san
December 10th, 2004, 03:34 PM
i mean,what are they smoking?They think it will sell.Ha!*coughngagecough*

pokejungle
December 10th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Ya, you would at least think that the NGage would have turned them off. Nintendo is good at handhelds, and the GBA just broke the record for handhelds sold....^-^

Kairi
December 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Don’t call either of them stupid. This topic is really touchy, and if anyone so much as says anything that isn’t positive about either system, a fight usually breaks out. So watch it guys, you can discuss them but…don’t flat out bash them.

JoWood
December 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM
There has been a simple, narrow-minded comparison of the DS and PSP(wow, how many times have I talked about these?). You cannot judge the DS and PSP based solely on graphics. It's stupid! Theres many more concepts to a system besides graphics.

The DS offers the same type of gameplay as the PSP, while the reverse is not true. The PSP cannot even compare to the interaction that Nintendo has offered with the DS. As for UMD discs, the battery power doesn't even allow for the music or movie to play good. Meaning, you'll have to walk around with an adapter and backup battery all the time.

Brittany
December 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Those pics are Biased.I mean,clearly for the same game the PSP is better,for better Graphics.But the DS has at least non-port games.And better gameplay.*coughmetalgearcough*
Those pics aren't biased! XD
Both are untouched and straight from the game.
Also, please don't assume that DS will have less port games than PSP, when PSP isn't even released yet XD
Lastly, some people may like the gameplay that you put down. DS's gameplay being better is your opinion, and by no means a fact.Wight.it wont.Impossible.See,the PSP is a stupid idea.I already have a MP3 player(Ipod)a DVD player that I can get movies for for 19.99,And a Game player(DS)why would I buy that black paperweight?
Well, that's great for you, it really is. But just because you have an mp3 player and a DVD player doesn't mean that it applies to the rest of the world.
Also, some of us would rather have all of those features in one device, not many.

I wouldn't consider it 'impossible'I know. Sony has its head screwed up. ~_~
Actually, I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread XDi mean,what are they smoking?They think it will sell.Ha!*coughngagecough*
Hold on there bucko!
PSP is by no means, an N-Gage XDYa, you would at least think that the NGage would have turned them off. Nintendo is good at handhelds, and the GBA just broke the record for handhelds sold....^-^
Well, you're right. Nintendo is great at making handhelds.
But Sony may be just as good, and I wouldn't count them out just yet. :P
There has been a simple, narrow-minded comparison of the DS and PSP(wow, how many times have I talked about these?). You cannot judge the DS and PSP based solely on graphics. It's stupid! Theres many more concepts to a system besides graphics.

The DS offers the same type of gameplay as the PSP, while the reverse is not true. The PSP cannot even compare to the interaction that Nintendo has offered with the DS. As for UMD discs, the battery power doesn't even allow for the music or movie to play good. Meaning, you'll have to walk around with an adapter and backup battery all the time.
I don't judge it based on graphics alone. I think that PSP's gameplay, games, features, and design is better too.

I don't really care for DS's interaction capabilities with features that are useless in my opinion, like picto-chat and a touch screen.

And don't even touch the battery-life issue. PSP can handle 5 hours+ for movies, 8 hours+ for gaming, and even more for music.

You all had previous attacks on battery-life and price, but now that the real facts are out- told ya so!

Kairi
December 10th, 2004, 04:40 PM
The GBA didn’t offer all those features either, and yet it outsold consoles who had features like mics and online play etc. Features are good; however, if no software makes intelligent use of them, they’ll go to waste. The GBA > GCN link is a good example. It’s cool, but so few games make actual use of it beyond basic concepts.

I don’t know anything about the PSP or the DS besides I don’t intend to get either. However, beyond all the features and specs and everything it comes down to how much fun it is to play. Nintendo fans will buy a DS, and Sony fans will buy a PSP. Even if they put out the same quality of stuff as the Ngage, they’d outsell it, simply because of the larger fanbase. There really weren’t…Nokia fanboys and girls, per se. Now if either can deliver real entertainment for those in the middle, or even reaching over to the other side, then they’ve got something.

…I think.

And Brit, I know it was just teasing, but don't taunt or even appear like you could be. See the above? I don't attack points of either console, and while it may not be the most compelling arguement, at least it's tranquil.

Brittany
December 10th, 2004, 04:48 PM
And Brit, I know it was just teasing, but don't taunt or even appear liek you could be. See the above? I don't attack points of either console, and while it may not be the most compelling arguement, at least it's tranquil.
Are you talking about the 'told ya so' part, or my entire arguement?

Kairi
December 10th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Told ya so mainly. I realize you’re not seriously taunting, but a lot of people are sensitive about this. That said, I was just giving advice. Let’s return to talking about the DS and PSP. Like…

Has anyone tried steering with the second screen wheel? o_O Is it intuitive or more difficult to use?

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
I have one thing that Im shockd no one has talked about.
Everyone thinks the PSP will play ALL DVDs.....well it doesnt. It plays PSP exclusive DVDs such as Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children. While Im not saying PSP is bad I dont really like that part.

The DS has two screens and alot of people think thats it an online system....well its not. The "online" feature (and Pictochat) reaches approximatly from Your House to next door.

Although both systems are good DS offers slightly more (in my opinion) than the PSP. And as Kairi said Nintendo fans will buy DS, Sony fans will buy PSP.....thats entirely true.

Carlito-san
December 10th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Yo,Britt,Where did i say they were a fact?Nowhere.Maybe i am a Nintendo Fanboy.Who cares?I agree with Ms.Admin.minus the not getting one part.
Heck,Im getting the PSP even.

Also,DemaSked is a nintendo project that WILL let you reach 3000 miles to Anywhere*coughonlinecough*Using Hot Spots Wi-Fi is different from online.

Brittany
December 10th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Yo,Britt,Where did i say they were a fact?Nowhere.Maybe i am a Nintendo Fanboy.Who cares?I agree with Ms.Admin.minus the not getting one part.
Heck,Im getting the PSP even.

Also,DemaSked is a nintendo project that WILL let you reach 3000 miles to Anywhere*coughonlinecough*Using Hot Spots Wi-Fi is different from online.
DS is better than PSP. - stated as a fact
I think DS is better than PSP. - stated as an opinion

If you want to avoid an arguement, don't barge into a thread and say "DS's gameplay styles are better!" when you know that someone may disagree.

Also, I never called you a Nintendo fanboi, and you're not really getting PSP even by saying "I like DS!" over and over again.

'Ms. Admin' was just saying that to make sure I don't go too far in my posts, which I haven't done yet.I have one thing that Im shockd no one has talked about.
Everyone thinks the PSP will play ALL DVDs.....well it doesnt. It plays PSP exclusive DVDs such as Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children. While Im not saying PSP is bad I dont really like that part.

The DS has two screens and alot of people think thats it an online system....well its not. The "online" feature (and Pictochat) reaches approximatly from Your House to next door.

Although both systems are good DS offers slightly more (in my opinion) than the PSP. And as Kairi said Nintendo fans will buy DS, Sony fans will buy PSP.....thats entirely true.
PSP plays no DVDs dear. It plays UMDs.

Abby was definetly right about the fan part, I'm just mad because some promote it with false information XD

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Yes I know it doesnt play DVDs what I meant was it only plays things that are only compatible with the PSP (forgive me if Im mistaken)

Brittany
December 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Yes I know it doesnt play DVDs what I meant was it only plays things that are only compatible with the PSP (forgive me if Im mistaken)
Right-o.
UMDs (1.8 GB)
Memory cards (from 32mb up to 1 Gig, and even more in the near-future)

That's your main PSP media.

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Its really too bad though because Sony had so much they coulda done that they didnt....its quite disappointing

Brittany
December 10th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Its really too bad though because Sony had so much they coulda done that they didnt....its quite disappointing
I think Sony maximized the potential for their machine at this point in time.

Of course, the machine's features are aimed towards different audiences, but as far as I'm concerned(and most other Sony fans), PSP is ahead of it's time in graphics, games, and features.

I've totally lost my interest(with the exception of Pokemon) in Nintendo products after GCN and NDS. They're just not my style XD

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Ha but its not really ahead of the generations I think. What it seems to me is just a handheld with good graphics and other little tidbits but not much else. It doesnt give you much to do once youve finished something a few times. But the main thing that really disappoints me about the PSP is what is said above. The PSP is just a handheld system with nothing but games that are little different than the PS2. I dont think the DS is as suprussed up as it need be but in my opinion it has more replay value.

Overall: PSP: Great system with extraidinary graphics, music player, UMD player, and little else. It is great until youre done with game or movies.

Overall DS: A different kind of system with average graphics, 2-screens, chat, and somewhat "online" support. At beginning it may not seem like much compared to PSP but ends up being great when you want to do games over with the "online"

One thing not mentioned: PSP will hook up to your PS2 to play certain games online (if you have online with PS2) such as Gran Turismo.

Carlito-san
December 10th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Not true.There is no connection to the PS2.Also,Britt,I never said you called me a nintendo fanboy.I just said i am.And,I will be getting a PSP.

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 07:06 PM
There is a connection dude and I know it....at least im 95% sure there is

Carlito-san
December 10th, 2004, 07:09 PM
95%.Not 100%.Ok,then.Give me prove.Please.

Brittany
December 10th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Not true.There is no connection to the PS2.Also,Britt,I never said you called me a nintendo fanboy.I just said i am.And,I will be getting a PSP.
It's a little thing called a USB cord! XD

I don't agree with the 'little else' part of Poke's statement. PSP does have other features, like
~GPS
~Keyboard
~Camera
and more! XD

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
REALLY! WELL THATS CHANGES MY WHOLE OPINON! Well there is room for mistakes. And MY proff is the Official Playstation Magazine (OPM or 1up.com) said that games like Gran Turismo will have only play on PSP with it being hooked to PS2.

Brittany even though all though features are there (I think its better than DS in some ways now) DS will probably win THIS year because of its experience and amount of fans. In the next 10 years Sony might just kill Nintendo.....because if Nintendo's new platformer fails and PSP destroys DS (unlikly) Nintendo might go outta business (because of little sucess of Game Cube

Brittany
December 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM
GTA4: Mobile doesn't require connection to the PS2 for gameplay, it's just used for extra features and such, me thinks.

Nintendo might have a comeback. With all of the talk about their 'Revolution' system, things may look up, along with help from Gameboy Evolution XD.

But I still think Sony will dominate overall XD

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Ya neva know....ya neva know

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
December 10th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Although the PSDS thing may have better graphics, I like Nintendo products way better than anything else, so, DS. I still need to get one.

Kairi
December 10th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Ha but its not really ahead of the generations I think. What it seems to me is just a handheld with good graphics and other little tidbits but not much else. It doesnt give you much to do once youve finished something a few times. But the main thing that really disappoints me about the PSP is what is said above. The PSP is just a handheld system with nothing but games that are little different than the PS2. I dont think the DS is as suprussed up as it need be but in my opinion it has more replay value.

Overall: PSP: Great system with extraidinary graphics, music player, UMD player, and little else. It is great until youre done with game or movies.

Overall DS: A different kind of system with average graphics, 2-screens, chat, and somewhat "online" support. At beginning it may not seem like much compared to PSP but ends up being great when you want to do games over with the "online"

One thing not mentioned: PSP will hook up to your PS2 to play certain games online (if you have online with PS2) such as Gran Turismo.
I think that replay value comes from the software, not the hardware. I mean…you could make a game with no replay value on either system, or one with immense. And that’s not because of the hardware. The GBA is, spec wise, an inferior gaming platform to almost any current one. And yet some of its games are noted amongst the most replayable. Like…Pokmon.

It’s all up to the software developers to use what’s at their disposal to make fun games. On the DS side, they have many forms of interaction. And on the PSP side, better specs. But when it comes down to it, if nobody uses either of these…well, then they’ll flop.

Poke
December 10th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Youmknow someone will use these

Kairi
December 10th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Let’s hope. I haven’t seen too many uses of the second screen/touch/mic I find particularly clever. Nor have I seen anything really mindblowing on the PSP yet, either. Like I said, we’ll see. >P

JoWood
December 11th, 2004, 04:50 AM
It's a little thing called a USB cord! XD

I don't agree with the 'little else' part of Poke's statement. PSP does have other features, like
~GPS
~Keyboard
~Camera
and more! XD

Brittany, these features haven't been confirmed. You can just infer that since the PSP has a USB cord that these capabilites will be made available for it, but we haven't heard anything from any other third parties.

I don't judge it based on graphics alone. I think that PSP's gameplay, games, features, and design is better too.

I don't really care for DS's interaction capabilities with features that are useless in my opinion, like picto-chat and a touch screen.

And don't even touch the battery-life issue. PSP can handle 5 hours+ for movies, 8 hours+ for gaming, and even more for music.

You all had previous attacks on battery-life and price, but now that the real facts are out- told ya so!

Are we looking at the same post? You did say you thought PSP's features were better. What might those include that the DS doesn't offer? And then you said the DS' innovative activities were useless in your opinion. This is how I picture the PSP. Like pitochat for example, a messenger on the DS. Does PSP offer that?

2 screens, and a touch screen. Does PSP offer this? SO lets see I'm going to be paying double the DS, for just a music and movie player. That sounds about right doesn't it?

Lucifer
December 11th, 2004, 05:27 AM
I'm not really a fan of some of the DS's features - pictochat and all that mallarky. I find the second touch-screen a novel idea, and one that opens up a lot of possibilites for games designers who can actually be bothered to utilise it. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread - far from it. But at least it's offering developers the chance to do something different.

I'm no innovation-hippy though. First and foremost, I want a DS for Mario 64, Final Fantasy III and a bangin' new Zelda game. XD

One thing you can say about Nintendo is that they're naive. Especially when it comes to the US and European markets. They probably think a technically weaker machine like the DS can flatten the PSP purely for the fact that it has a number of features that don't appear on Sony's handheld. Well they're wrong. You only need to look around the various PlayStation forums to realise that all they care about is graphics. It's their counter-argument to everything you say the DS has going for it. The PlayStation fanboys are a group that Nintendo can only dream of cracking.

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Nintendo will not fail.If the DS fails,they bring out the GBE earlyer.

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Brittany, these features haven't been confirmed. You can just infer that since the PSP has a USB cord that these capabilites will be made available for it, but we haven't heard anything from any other third parties.

Are we looking at the same post? You did say you thought PSP's features were better. What might those include that the DS doesn't offer? And then you said the DS' innovative activities were useless in your opinion. This is how I picture the PSP. Like pitochat for example, a messenger on the DS. Does PSP offer that?

2 screens, and a touch screen. Does PSP offer this? SO lets see I'm going to be paying double the DS, for just a music and movie player. That sounds about right doesn't it?

No, but if the features are under-utilized, you’re paying half for hardware that doesn’t have any software backing its abilities. And if (And I’m not saying they are) if those features themselves are not practical in gameplay, no one will develop effectively or their system.

I mean…all the great game systems in the past only played games, until the Xbox or PS2. But people don’t think those two are great because of the “extra features” of a DVD player and such. They value them for their gaming ability.

Iwata has made it clear though, that the DS is targeting the beginners and young women, both whom “usually dislike games”

Now I can’t see anyone who dislikes games anyways specifically going for the DS hardware. It’s kinda large, and I imagine all its features could seem a bit daunting at first glance. Like…most people who get Mario 64 DS do so cause they liked it on the N64.

Now stuff like the Sims and Animal Crossing does reach this audience, cause it’s a whole different kind of game. But I don’t see an entire platform being like that.

Anyways, it’s a risky idea to base your system on, especially as video games become “cooler” and more mainstream. Appealing to the 17~25 gamer with stuff that looks “sweet” has worked so well for Sony and MS. Look at Halo. Everyone who’s played an Xbox, at one point or another, has touched Halo. Halo 2 had a ridiculously huge launch.

This doesn’t mean the games have to be rated M or drip with blood. It just means it appeals to gamers differently. Like you can pick up these games, and start playing easily. If you want though, you can do much deeper in them and play your friends, consume your adult beverages, laugh, socialize, etc etc.

But blah, I’m rambling, and the words just aren’t coming out right.

JoWood
December 11th, 2004, 10:13 AM
No, but if the features are under-utilized, youre paying half for hardware that doesnt have any software backing its abilities. And if (And Im not saying they are) if those features themselves are not practical in gameplay, no one will develop effectively or their system.

I meanall the great game systems in the past only played games, until the Xbox or PS2. But people dont think those two are great because of the extra features of a DVD player and such. They value them for their gaming ability.

Iwata has made it clear though, that the DS is targeting the beginners and young women, both whom usually dislike games

Now I cant see anyone who dislikes games anyways specifically going for the DS hardware. Its kinda large, and I imagine all its features could seem a bit daunting at first glance. Likemost people who get Mario 64 DS do so cause they liked it on the N64.

Now stuff like the Sims and Animal Crossing does reach this audience, cause its a whole different kind of game. But I dont see an entire platform being like that.

Anyways, its a risky idea to base your system on, especially as video games become cooler and more mainstream. Appealing to the 17~25 gamer with stuff that looks sweet has worked so well for Sony and MS. Look at Halo. Everyone whos played an Xbox, at one point or another, has touched Halo. Halo 2 had a ridiculously huge launch.

This doesnt mean the games have to be rated M or drip with blood. It just means it appeals to gamers differently. Like you can pick up these games, and start playing easily. If you want though, you can do much deeper in them and play your friends, consume your adult beverages, laugh, socialize, etc etc.

But blah, Im rambling, and the words just arent coming out right.

Nope, I don't think they are either.

Ok, first you said that the DS didn't have any software to back their abilities. I agree and I think Nintendo has failed in their so called 'revolutionary system'. But the features and abilities with the DS are practical in gameplay. Take 'Feel The Magic' for example. This game utilizes all the DS' features, touch screen/microphone/and dual screen. Meaning this game couldn't be played the same way on PSP.

You said the DS was large and the design wasn't too good. Once again, a narrow-minded comparison to both systems. You simply cannot say because something doesn't look small and sleek that it won't outdo the opponent. These are the same 17-25 audience your talking about, who can look at a game and just say it's good. Take Racket and Clank for example, the game just made three top 10(perfect) ratings in major gaming magazines but it just suffered a $10.00 price drop.

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, see I’m not sure if they are. If they are, then could be successful. But FTM is about the only piece of software I’ve seen that has demonstrated use of them. That’s why I’m unsure as to how they’ll hold up.

I didn’t say its design was poor. I said it’s features may appear a bit overwhelming at first glance to the audience Iwata is targeting. I’m not claiming the PSP has a better design. I’m discussing the design and plan of the DS, not the DS vs. the PSP.

Lastly, I’m not saying that audience rules. I’m saying the majority of the success in the market is aimed towards that group. Certainly not all of it, but it’s heading that way. And that doesn’t mean other corners of the market should be ignored, but the young adult set should definitely be given at least consideration.

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks, I'm not that remarkable though XD

But yes, those features have been confirmed. You don't need a third party, just the official website XD
Excuse me, but I have the right to think GPS, cameras, and physical keyboards beats 2 screens, a touch screen, and pictochat.

Saying that we have differing opinions is one thing, but to completely disregard it is another.

And think about it. A camera and keyboard. PSP might be able to handle a messanging service that sends real pictures, not hand-drawn ones, and type out messages too.

Nope, that doesn't sound about right. PSP is less than $40 more than DS. Have a nice day XD

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks, I'm not that remarkable though XD

But yes, those features have been confirmed. You don't need a third party, just the official website XD

Excuse me, but I have the right to think GPS, cameras, and physical keyboards beats 2 screens, a touch screen, and pictochat.

Saying that we have differing opinions is one thing, but to completely disregard it is another.

And think about it. A camera and keyboard. PSP might be able to handle a messanging service that sends real pictures, not hand-drawn ones, and type out messages too.

Nope, that doesn't sound about right. PSP is less than $40 more than DS. Have a nice day XD
Guess What?A GPS and A camera on the PSP will probably cost you I dont know,80$ each?

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 11:14 AM
IMO, batting around facts hasn’t really helped us. I can’t tell you how much a UMD holds. Or what it means. Or how fast the DS is. Or even what type of memory it uses. But neither can the vast majority of people who buy these things. People are becoming more aware, yes…but still the majority of sales are going to come from people who don’t know this stuff. And with their purchases, they’ll decide how well these two do.

There are lots of reasons. I bought a GCN because I had a positive experience with Nintendo consoles in the past. I bought a PS2, however, because of Squaresoft. I bought the PS2 only because it has exclusive titles from Square. So past experience and license are two motivators.

I bought my Xbox and Dreamcast by recommendations from friends. Positive buzz is yet another reason people buy these things. But (with the exception of the Xbox, who makes its power part of its advertising push) how able these consoles were, really. So yeah, it’s nice to have more space and power to work with, but those alone won’t decide it.

Yeah, it’s good to have the facts. More informed consumers are definitely a good thing. And you’ve very skilled at bringing those to us, Brittany. ^_^ But it’s just one part of the discussion, I feel.

billy...please don't taunt with what you call her in your quote, and settle your tone down a little. We do not need flames. And Brit, don't start anything back. You know better, right?

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Guess What?A GPS and A camera on the PSP will probably cost you I dont know,80$ each?
I'm really not that remarkable! *blushes* XD

And I wouldn't assume the worst just yet. We thought PSP was gonna be $250-400, so who is to say that they won't do the same? And even if we were to assume the worst, I think $80 would include both of them XD

EDIT:
And Brit, don't start anything back. You know better, right?
Oops :P
I guess my post wasn't that bad, was it?

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Well,Sorry.But I think the DS will be better.*Leaves*

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Nah, you guys are mostly fine really. ^_^ And I think most everyone in this threads thinks one or the other is better, and this won’t change it. XP It’s all in good fun to discuss it though.

John Denver
December 11th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Although I was REALLY looking forward to it, I was dissapointed in the DS. I mean, I think the system has a ridiculous amount of potential, but whats with the opening games? The games are great, but none of them are KILLERS...

Although I was kinda mad nintendo with their opening titles, I'm even less impressed by PSP's opening titles...frankly I don't see myself buying either one. But if I had the money, I'd go with DS.

Lucifer
December 11th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Well the GBA's line-up wasn't exactly mind-blowing. Mario Advance and F-Zero were all I was interested in.

I'll only be buying Mario 64 for the DS. Until something else arrives of course.

Neo-Dragon
December 11th, 2004, 11:41 AM
I already have a DS, and doubt i will buy a PSP.
The DS is awesome, the touch screen is the best.....

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Dakota,the DS's BIG titles are being saved for the
PSP launch.Acually,the same Week.I Really Recommend it.

John Denver
December 11th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Dakota,the DS's BIG titles are being saved for the
PSP launch.Acually,the same Week.I Really Recommend it.

I think your right, MP hunters and all...

D0000D! If they made a Melee or Zelda game for the DS, I would buy one in a SECOND!

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Zelda:Confirmed as a FS title/And I THINK they confirmed a Adventure similar to OOT/MM
Melee:I highly think so.(it would make nintendo ALOT of money.XD)

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I do believe (not sure) the main force behind Melee has left Nintendo since then. So it might be possible, but I haven’t heard much. Besides…wouldn’t that be a bit odd on the DS? Yes, wireless, but touch control just doesn’t have enough variety in inputs for a fighting game.

Poke
December 11th, 2004, 12:05 PM
In the end, we will see who wins...... whoever wins will so which one is more popular. Graphics or features. Thiis handheld war will be big but when we see who wins (features or graphics) both handhelds will use it and then we might see who will win in the long run.

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I do believe (not sure) the main force behind Melee has left Nintendo since then. So it might be possible, but I havent heard much. Besideswouldnt that be a bit odd on the DS? Yes, wireless, but touch control just doesnt have enough variety in inputs for a fighting game.
I agree,but it is not really gonna take advantage of the TS.Just the graphics/Handheldness.

John Denver
December 11th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Not EVERY game needs to use the touch screen, I'd play smash without it

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Not EVERY game needs to use the touch screen, I'd play smash without it
So would I.But i hope they would add new Characters/items.

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Hasn’t every game so far used it in one way or the other?

Still, this raises a good point. This is a game that--even though it never would be--could be done better on the PSP. It’s a game that’s fun without the touch/dual screens. But with more space for more characters and better graphics on the PSP, it would be better on it.

I’m not saying the PSP is better period, but I’m saying…you can see where its supporters do have some merit, yeah?

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Hasnt every game so far used it in one way or the other?

Still, this raises a good point. This is a game that--even though it never would be--could be done better on the PSP. Its a game thats fun without the touch/dual screens. But with more space for more characters and better graphics on the PSP, it would be better on it.

Im not saying the PSP is better period, but Im sayingyou can see where its supporters do have some merit, yeah?
I agree.But Nintendo,with they um,crazy minds(in a good way)Will figure out a way to implement it.

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I agree.But Nintendo,with they um,crazy minds(in a good way)Will figure out a way to implement it.
What did you mean by that?

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I think he just means he believe Nintendo will find a way to do smash brothers even without the processing power of the other handheld. ^_^;

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I meant Nintendo will find a cool way to use the Touch Screen/2nd screen.

John Denver
December 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Hasnt every game so far used it in one way or the other?

Still, this raises a good point. This is a game that--even though it never would be--could be done better on the PSP. Its a game thats fun without the touch/dual screens. But with more space for more characters and better graphics on the PSP, it would be better on it.

Im not saying the PSP is better period, but Im sayingyou can see where its supporters do have some merit, yeah?

I see where your coming from...They could just have the character selection screens on both screens, which would mean more characters...and when your actually fighting, they could just have the percentages on the bottom.

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 12:48 PM
That’s an idea, but seems like kind a waste of a screen. It is something I didn’t think of, though.

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Nintendo is making a Dictionary game.It can convert over 15 languages.It will have different word gsmes and Mini games.

pokejungle
December 11th, 2004, 04:58 PM
A language dictionary would be awesome =3

[So would a graphing calculater!!!]

I've heard rumours of the DS getting a web browser too...

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Tis been confirmed.A calculator would be nice.I dont think the DS can handle a web browser.

pokejungle
December 11th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Yep, a DS can. I don't know where I heard it...but Nintendo said it would let 3rd parties make one. It would use WiFi to connect to the web.

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 05:26 PM
3rd parties?NOOO!I hate 3rd parties!(not the games,the accessorys)

pokejungle
December 11th, 2004, 05:29 PM
The browser would be like a game ^^;

goth_espeon3
December 11th, 2004, 05:43 PM
I really can't say, I mean even though the graphics seem better on a PSP, on a DS you would be able to talk to your friends at the same time that you play...............I HAVE NO CLUE!!!

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I really can't say, I mean even though the graphics seem better on a PSP, on a DS you would be able to talk to your friends at the same time that you play...............I HAVE NO CLUE!!!
The microphone is also a feature of PSP.

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Where does it say that?Me want prove!XD

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Where does it say that?Me want prove!XD
Holy crap XD
Check the official website.

www.playstation.com is a nice start :P

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 06:15 PM
There have NOTHING about the PSP there.XD And,just recently seeing a pic,There is a hole that reads"Microphne".XD

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 06:37 PM
There have NOTHING about the PSP there.XD And,just recently seeing a pic,There is a hole that reads"Microphne".XD
Go to the search button. Type in PSP. Go to News AND Media, and check PSP specifications.

Was that so hard? XD

PrOjEcT
December 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I am getting the DS because I like Nintendo more then Sony. That is the only reason. If I liked Sony, I would buy a PSP. (Not saying I don't like sony I have a Ps2)

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Go to the search button. Type in PSP. Go to News AND Media, and check PSP specifications.

Was that so hard? XD
Uh.....Yes?

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Uh.....Yes?
'tis okay. ^_^
That's exactly what I'm here for XD

pokejungle
December 11th, 2004, 06:54 PM
The PSP just doesn't seem as...cool...o.0;;

I know that sounds wierd, but it looks like black palm pilot + the original GBA. Kinda reminds me of the NGage...>>;

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 06:55 PM
What is the N-gage?I've heard of the "taco"game player.is that it?

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 06:57 PM
The PSP just doesn't seem as...cool...o.0;;

I know that sounds wierd, but it looks like black palm pilot + the original GBA. Kinda reminds me of the NGage...>>;
Umm, thanks for you two cents? :P

I'm just kidding anyways, but I like see this exactly the opposite way as you do xD

Touch screen, stylus? Pictochat?(hey, it's close enough XD)

I guess it's because it has a bunch of features(that are useless in my opinion), but anyways....

pokejungle
December 11th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Ummm...no. go to www.n-gage.com [I think that's the URL...0.0]

It was a failed portable/phone from Nokia. =/

Timbjerr
December 11th, 2004, 06:59 PM
What is the N-gage?I've heard of the "taco"game player.is that it?
the N-Gage was a weird cell-phone/game console combination that never really sold that well. some gamers call it a "taco" due to its appearance and it's just as practical as a taco...

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Ummm...no. go to www.n-gage.com [I think that's the URL...0.0]

It was a failed portable/phone from Nokia. =/
No, I'm talking about the Palm Pilot part, not the n-gage part :P
But even at that point, I see this differently xD

Carlito-san
December 11th, 2004, 07:01 PM
JK.....but it really does look like a taco!i saw ssomeone with one,and bursted out laughing.Poor person...

pokejungle
December 11th, 2004, 07:04 PM
No, I'm talking about the Palm Pilot part, not the n-gage part
But even at that point, I see this differently xD

I was talking to Billy....>>;

I don't know how you can call pictochat useless, but, meh, not everyone was gifted with as much brains as me =P

[J/K Brit, after all, I didn't make it past Prez pre-lims!]

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 07:07 PM
[J/K Brit, after all, I didn't make it past Prez pre-lims!]
What does that have to do with this? :P

Anywho, lets get back on topic. Does anyone wonder what the heck FFVII: CC is about? Square is coming off with so many FFVII spinoffs, heck, they might as well change the company name to FFVII.

Lets see, FFVII: AC, BC, CC, DC.

I see some sort of pattern forming XD

mew42003
December 11th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I chose DS cause I have one.And I love it!

Flaming Torchic
December 11th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Anywho, lets get back on topic. Does anyone wonder what the heck FFVII: CC is about? Square is coming off with so many FFVII spinoffs, heck, they might as well change the company name to FFVII.

Eventually they'll make an FFVII: AC/DC!

Anyways, I'll probably be getting the DS, since it has Pictochat, and more games that I'm interested in (but I'll probably eventually get a PSP).

Brittany
December 11th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Our wuvable DS (http://data.4channel.org/v/src/1102817535896.jpg) and his PSP buddies!

Aww, isn't it cute? :P
No? I thought so >.<

Simmons_2.0
December 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Welll ill be getting DS, simply because i hate sony. Why did mom get a sony camera why!? And nintendos portable Games and gameplay for thier portable systems are superb. I mean look at the NGage they thought it would sell and it fell flat on its face. And people tink some systems are the best because of thier grapics, thats not right i could care less about the graphics as long as it good gameplay. And PSP doesent sound very addictive to me.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it :snea:

Scyther5
December 11th, 2004, 09:39 PM
I have the DS, wich I love, but I plan on getting the PSP too when it debuts. So I'm not saying anything until I have both, but Nintendo will win me over with the better games, but PSP will do the same with the features and graphics.

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 10:17 PM
The problem (okay, one of the many) problems with the Ngage is that all the developers try to overreach and indulge themselves in a fantasy that the Ngage has the power to make decent looking 3D games, and play them well. It doesn’t.

Really, we can't say either way on the PSP. We can on the DS. Dakota is a good example of this. He had high hopes for it, but its reality didn't live up to those. We won't know if the PSP does until it launches.

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Well then I made a donkey of myself. >P
The DS has sold well too, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to do well in the long run, either. Too soon to really call that.

Simmons_2.0
December 11th, 2004, 10:26 PM
The problem (okay, one of the many) problems with the Ngage is that all the developers try to overreach and indulge themselves in a fantasy that the Ngage has the power to make decent looking 3D games, and play them well. It doesnt.

Really, we can't say either way on the PSP. We can on the DS. Dakota is a good example of this. He had high hopes for it, but its reality didn't live up to those. We won't know if the PSP does until it launches.

who were you talking to? Me or someone else? and the DS has bareley been out for 2 months so Dakotah could still be right about the DS. And in response to a1337a post 800 dollers!!! Thats ridiculus!! And im really mad right so forgive me.

Kairi
December 11th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Well he said atm it’s underwhelming, and I have to agree, that’s probably the best word at the moment for it. So yes, it’s possible, but grows less likely the longer they wait.

Sawah – but the vast majority of sales don’t take place there. Only the real fans are going to get them from there. Like I said, Sony fans will flock to the PSP; Nintendo fans to the DS. Because they trust the company, for the most part. And as for the price difference, well the PSP isn’t out in the states yet, right? o_O That’d kinda explain it. How much does the unit retail for normally anyways?

Skarmory469
December 12th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I think DS pwns PSP, but as neither of them have been released I can't tell ^^;;

I want a DS, because Nintendo have always released quality games and I predict that PSP will be plagued with PS2 games. >.>

Spectrum
December 12th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Yep, that's true. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's next system uses that same game as a launch title.

Lucifer
December 12th, 2004, 02:13 AM
As opposed of course to the GBA which is plauged with SNES and NES games, and the NDS which is reusing an N64 title for launch. Blah.

Very good NES and SNES games.

Although it would've been nice to see a brand-new 2D Mario platformer.

DarkPhoenix
December 12th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Meh.... I might end up getting them both... so meh... lol. PSP for graphics and games, and DS for Nintendo-respective games, like Zelda and Pokemon.... bah... I am gonna be ppoor XD

Carlito-san
December 12th, 2004, 05:57 AM

FF7:CC is about FF7:AC,but battleing with Cards.*coughMGScough*

gamecubeboyz
December 12th, 2004, 06:11 AM
i say ds because imo its better and with touch screen it makes it more better,cooler and sexier. lol jking about the last one.

Burne Starcofski
December 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Nobody answered my question...
When does the PSP come Stateside?

Timbjerr
December 12th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Nobody answered my question...
When does the PSP come Stateside?
I may be wrong, but I heard it comes to the U.S in Summer of 2005.

PSP may have more powerful specs, but Nintendo and the DS have a better track record. A lot of people trust Nintendo for their quality games, and they are looking forward to some awesome games in the future.

Kairi
December 12th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Same with Sony. And as such, both systems will have people inherently locking to their systems. It’s getting people who weren’t interested in their system to buy it, that’s the challenge.

It comes down to can new control types and inferior specs do that, or superior specs and traditional controls do it.

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 03:40 PM
FF7:CC is about FF7:AC,but battleing with Cards.*coughMGScough*
Sorry, but WTH are you talking about? FFVII:CC has no info released yet, aside from the fact that it is an action RPG for PSP that is being released late 2005.
I may be wrong, but I heard it comes to the U.S in Summer of 2005.

PSP may have more powerful specs, but Nintendo and the DS have a better track record. A lot of people trust Nintendo for their quality games, and they are looking forward to some awesome games in the future.
Better track record? You mean GameCube?
*dies laughing*
=X
Sorries >.<

Carlito-san
December 12th, 2004, 03:45 PM
No offence to Brit,but you are kinda a Sony person.Not Fangirl,just,likes them more than nintendo.Track Record?you mean the 16 Handhelds that Trashed Compition for 10+ years?

Lucifer
December 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM
In terms of quality hardware, Nintendo has Sony licked. The Gamecube may not have the massive third-party backing that the PS2 has, but it's infinitely better in terms of reliability and overrall lifespan.

Carlito-san
December 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
In terms of quality hardware, Nintendo has Sony licked. The Gamecube may not have the massive third-party backing that the PS2 has, but it's infinitely better in terms of reliability and overrall lifespan.
Yes.Have youve ever heard of a DRE on the Gamcube?No?Because there hasnt been one.(that has been reported)

Lucifer
December 12th, 2004, 04:01 PM
It's not just that. My friends and I have been suffering from PS2 problems for quite some time now. I've replaced mine for the silver model once already, and now some annoyances that plagued the old PS2 are starting to creep in again. Vibrating disk tray, loud whirring/clicking noises, etc. By my reckoning the next step is DREs, and finally the inability to load Final Fantasy FMVs. Which just isn't on. XD

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM
No offence to Brit,but you are kinda a Sony person.Not Fangirl,just,likes them more than nintendo.Track Record?you mean the 16 Handhelds that Trashed Compition for 10+ years?
I am a Sony person. At least I use cold hard facts to back my opinions. At any rate, the minority of my points lie in my opinion, because I have had to clear up false information 90% of the time XD

And why does track record matter? Sony doesn't have a track record in this area, so to say that Nintendo's is 'better', is a very biased assumption in my opinion. They did it with PS2 vs GCN, they can do it again :PIn terms of quality hardware, Nintendo has Sony licked. The Gamecube may not have the massive third-party backing that the PS2 has, but it's infinitely better in terms of reliability and overrall lifespan.
I disagree strongly. I don't have anything else to say XDYes.Have youve ever heard of a DRE on the Gamcube?No?Because there hasnt been one.(that has been reported)
Yes, I have heard of a DRE on GameCube.

Carlito-san
December 12th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Yes.But GCN BEAT PS2.Also,my facts are not false either Brit.

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Yes.But GCN BEAT PS2.Also,my facts are not false either Brit.
I didn't accuse you of having false info. I just said that there was false info in this thread. Even so, I know that the people posting it aren't doing it because they are lying, they're just misinformed.

And no, GCN didn't beat PS2. PS2 outsells GCN in games and systems.

Carlito-san
December 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM
What?Um...No it hasnt been.

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Yes it has. I won't continue arguing this, it's an unaviodable fact.

John Denver
December 12th, 2004, 05:42 PM

Actually, I think PS2 does outsell GCN...I'm not saying I like PS2 better, but hey, facts are facts...

Course, there was the year when GCN released Wind Waker...heh...nobody could touch it ;)

Carlito-san
December 12th, 2004, 05:44 PM
W/E....I Still like it more.and Sawah,thats just your store.

John Denver
December 12th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Yup, the GCN constantly outsells the PS2.
TBest seen when a multi format title comes out, let's use NFSU2 as an example.
On the day it was released we got in my store..
108 copies on PS2 @ $99.95 each
64 copies on Xbox @ $99.95 each
4 copies on GCN @ $69.95 each
Now, at the end of launch day, we'd sold out of the PS2 version, sold out of the Xbox version, and still had THREE copies left on the GCN.
Now, given it has better graphics, runs faster, and is CHEAPER, why do you think it sold so poorly in comparison? Cause so few people have a Gamecube by comparison. Which means, DUN DUN DUN, that the PS2 and Xbox are beating it.

So dont make up stuff, please.
It's because of people like you making up stuff that flamewars break out.

Thats the sells for your specific store though Sarah...if we went by Country, then X-box is barely selling at all in Japan...whereas GCN is beating it...

But I already know that PS2 sells more than GCN

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 05:47 PM
W/E....I Still like it more.and Sawah,thats just your store.
Sawah has access to world figures too :P
I'm sure she would all of the figures loose to PC, but I think she wants to keep her job XD

Carlito-san
December 12th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Thats the sells for your specific store though Sarah...if we went by Country, then X-box is barely selling at all in Japan...whereas GCN is beating it...

But I already know that PS2 sells more than GCN
D,thats only in america.Only 1/16 of the world.

John Denver
December 12th, 2004, 06:09 PM
People like to say that when I present them with raw facts.
"Oh, thats just YOUR store".
Well the argument is old, think up something else cause I'm gonna dispell it.
Think about it. Head office sent us FOUR copies only on the GCN, because they knew it wouldn't sell well. Now, why do you think they'd do that? Could it be they know the GCN is just the system no-one wants?
I bet if I looked up store allocation when I'm at work, I'd see that 4 copies is about standard for what every store got.
You gotta understand, Nintendo Fanboi, that I work from facts.
I dont make up crap, like you.

Watch your tone Sarah...you always feel the need to add a little insult in your posts...none of us have attacked you directly, so don't feel like you have to

But when you start off a post saying "At my store this. At my store that" people aren't going to think what you say applies to the rest of the world. Yes, we KNOW that your store sells GCN less than the other 3 systems. We've realized that already, you drill it into our heads in every post.

We KNOW that GCN sells less than PS2, we aren't denying the facts, at least I'm not. But that doesn't change the fact that I think GCN is far superior to the PS2 system wise and game wise.

Booo....ya...

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 06:11 PM
People like to say that when I present them with raw facts.
"Oh, thats just YOUR store".
Well the argument is old, think up something else cause I'm gonna dispell it.
Think about it. Head office sent us FOUR copies only on the GCN, because they knew it wouldn't sell well. Now, why do you think they'd do that? Could it be they know the GCN is just the system no-one wants?
I bet if I looked up store allocation when I'm at work, I'd see that 4 copies is about standard for what every store got.
You gotta understand, Nintendo Fanboi, that I work from facts.
I dont make up crap, like you.
Straight to the point, and though it may hurt feelings, I have to say that I agree 100%.

It annoys me when someone spends thier time defending false information(intentional or not), and fails to accept the truth, even from people that have the capacity to be know-it-alls like you or I. I'm sure that there are other people that want to defend DS with real facts in this thread, but until then, people need to stop pretending that thier opinions and false information are facts. It just doesn't work that way.

I'm not directing this to anyone specifically, but please just think about what you type before you actually post it people. Ask yourself if it's actually been confirmed, or is it the best explanation you could think of, off the top of your head?

And to Dakota, at least you write say that you think it is, rather than automatically saying it's fact, or implying that your opinion is better than another's.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But nobody can make up a fact.

Kairi
December 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM
I am a Sony person. At least I use cold hard facts to back my opinions. At any rate, the minority of my points lie in my opinion, because I have had to clear up false information 90% of the time XD

And why does track record matter? Sony doesn't have a track record in this area, so to say that Nintendo's is 'better', is a very biased assumption in my opinion. They did it with PS2 vs GCN, they can do it again :P
I disagree strongly. I don't have anything else to say XD
Yes, I have heard of a DRE on GameCube.
Like I said though, facts are good, but they can’t formulate for sure if one will succeed or fail.

@D, well, like she said, it’s the expectations. If the EB only sent 4 copies, it means they must have experienced poor sales of GCN titles before.

@Brit 2:

No. No no no. You are not the games mod. Don’t tell people how to act. Yes, they may have been making up stuff about the GCN versus the PS2. All you can do is tell them the facts. If they refuse to accept that, you need not point it out. Cause that’s what strts the flames. This topic is no longer about the DS and the PSP, but about facts and acceptance and thread behavior. And that’s very very bad. So cool down, and let’s all find a new topic about the DS/PSP.

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Hmm, some would consider jumping into a thread and posting every thought that comes to their head spam, but I guess not.

Even when I tried to start a lil' conversation about some PSP games, someone had to come in and make up information about them, which makes discussion almost impossible, unless you're a DS lover.

I'll back off for a while.

John Denver
December 12th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Dakota, why don't you read the post I was replying to, before stepping in with your hollier-than-thou additude? Someone claims it's a fact that the GCN outsells the PS2. All I do is set the record straight.

In addition to calling them Fanbois and saying they make crap up...meh...

And Brit, ugh, I can't begin to explain how everything you just posted applies 100% to you more than anyone.

Although, ashamed as I am to admit, most of the fanboys in this thread do support the DS with faulty info. The things I do know that are fact

PSP is slightly faster and has better graphics than the DS
DS has a wider amount of extra features
PSP is lead by a team with no experience in handhelds
DS is lead by a team a decades amount of experince in handhelds
UMDs hold more than the DS boxes
The PSP's battery life for games is around 6 hours-ish
The DS's battery life for games is around 10 or 12 (I think, I might have to check)

And that is, I think, the extent of my knowledge...

*struts off*

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 06:30 PM
And Brit, ugh, I can't begin to explain how everything you just posted applies 100% to you more than anyone.

I have not once introduced false information, or said that my opinion was fact. Yet people accused me of it all the time.

"Brit, you don't know the battery life!"
"Brit, you don't know what the price will be!"

Remember this stuff? People said I didn't know anything about this stuff. But now that the results are public, who's right?
Okay, let's get some discussion done.
Now that the system is out, we can see that the PSP infact has a plastic cover to protect it's screen, making it vastly more durable than first thought.
The entire system is well built, comfortable to hold, and feels like the same kind of quality as a good Sony MD Player.
Initial reports are now stating battery life is far greater then originally thought. Ridge Racers, Medium Screen Brightness, Six Hours and Thirteen minutes for the battery to do. WHich is THREE TIMES what Nintendo Fanboys would have you beleive.
Given it's rechargable battery is built in, six hours is plenty, given that's PLAY time, while standby time is probably measured in days like a standard high end cell phone.
So there you go, thats my discussion contributed
Oh yes, didn't I also say that the PSP had a plastic cover? Another fact I pointed out, that in turn, made me the liar in the old threads.

Kairi
December 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Brittany, stop it. Right now. Proving yourself right is getting nowhere but very very close to getting this thread closed. You could have talked about how the PSPs power will make for a different style of gameplay, and how that’ll help it. You could have said you didn’t feel the DS’s abilities matched that.

But you are intent on proving you were right, he was wrong. That’s not the point of the thread. Last warning, if this thread doesn’t go 100% PSP/DS, it’s closed.

Scyther5
December 12th, 2004, 06:46 PM
How long is the battery life of the PSP?
Sony Computer Entertainment has made measurements of the PSP's abilities, based on technical standards and in-game performance of work-in-progress games. On October 27, 2004, the company announced that the typical battery life for the PSP will be between 4 and 6 hours for games, with 4-5 hours for video viewing. These numbers, according to SCE, were determined with the system's luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2), volume set to half the maximum level, headphones used instead of speakers and wireless LAN not in use.

SCE has described its 1,800mAh battery to be able to power the unit for as long as typical battery-based portable electronics, which would include portable DVD and MP3 players as well as other game systems. At E3 2004 in May, SCE estimated the PSP's battery life to run between 2 1/2 and 10 hours. The PSP's various CPUs are scalable, and usage of the UMD disc drive may depend between different types of games and game engines. ~ IGN
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just what I found off IGN, for the record I support both systems..so Im not for one more than the other.

Kairi
December 12th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Okay guys, here’s a good opportunity. He posted a snippet of an article from a website. Now, if you wish to refute this fact, you can find a credible source, and offer proof. This is where facts come in. However, if you don’t really add anything like how it would affect the PSP IF that were true, you’re just tossing around facts.

John Denver
December 12th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Tales of Symphonia
Zelda
Final Fantasy
Golden Sun
Smash Melee

If the DS came out with ANY of these kinds of games...I would buy it in a snap

*wonder if they can make DDR on the PSP*

Scyther5
December 12th, 2004, 06:50 PM
@ Kairi ~I'm just trying to clear things up since the battery life seems to be a giant Issue.

Kairi
December 12th, 2004, 06:52 PM
They have a DDR on the computer, but I don’t think the real DDR fans would want a version without…you know, activity. O_o;

And ToS is now on the PS2, too, so I dunno if it’d be developed exclusively for the PSP. Or both, since as the first post shows, there’s a big difference in hardware.

And I understand. ^_^; Your post was fine, jjust using it in example.

Brittany
December 12th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Tales of Symphonia
Zelda
Final Fantasy
Golden Sun
Smash Melee

If the DS came out with ANY of these kinds of games...I would buy it in a snap

*wonder if they can make DDR on the PSP*

Zelda and FF are the best bets out of that bunch, but I'm really looking forward to a Golden Sun sequel. I'm not sure about TOS or Smash though XD

And PSP could infact handle DDR, but what's the point? XD

Scyther5
December 12th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Well, that article was the most up to date one I've found.
Also, from that article it sounds like the PSP is going to have an MP3, is that true?

John Denver
December 12th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Zelda and FF are the best bets out of that bunch, but I'm really looking forward to a Golden Sun sequel. I'm not sure about TOS or Smash though XD

And PSP could infact handle DDR, but what's the point? XD

You could have super ripped thumbs

Scyther5
December 12th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Oh, thats pretty cool. Then I guess they where obviusly talking about the DVD( or what ever it is) battery life.

Lucifer
December 13th, 2004, 02:32 AM
I disagree strongly. I don't have anything else to say XD

Well obviously I can only speak for myself (and about 6 other friends), but so far the PSOne and PS2 are the only consoles I've owned that malfunctioned in some way or another. I still have an N64 in mint condition and full-working order, whereas my original PlayStation was a total nightmare. I never had it chipped or opened it up in any way, yet it still gradually degraded into a worthless piece of nothing by the day. Eventually I was reduced to standing it on its side just to have it load games at half the normal speed.

Now it's the same for this generation. The GC works as though I bought it 2 weeks ago, while the PS2 is just...[bleh]. It works okay, but like I said before, it's showing all the early signs of going boom-boom just like my original system did.

I've always taken good care of the things, which is mirrored by the fact that I've kept every console since the NES in quality condition. It's no mere coincidence that Sony's consoles are the only ones that give me grief. Heck, just head over to the official UK PlayStation forums for more complaints about its questionable quality.

fudge01
December 13th, 2004, 02:38 AM
true.... true..... my ps2 screws up and makes funny noises too. Even though i baught my Gamecube Before my ps2 my gamecube has no problems.....

Kairi
December 13th, 2004, 06:19 AM
I’ve had a toasted Gamecube, PS2, and two Dreamcasts. This comes from playing them so much, I suppose. I’ve have a Playstation since the beginning that’s always worked, though. But I really dobut these handhelds would wear out, since they’d be expensive to cover under warranty.

John Denver
December 13th, 2004, 07:43 AM
My gcn has yet to lock up, freeze, it did lag a little bit though with PSO, but thats it. My friend bought a PS2 when it came out and he already had to buy a new one cause his old one was breaking down.

My GCN, n64, NES, gameboy, gameboy color and GBA never had an problems, and still work as good as the day I got it. My PS2 however,having it less than a year, is already having problems reading the discs occasioanlly :(

Meh...one can only hope that the PSP breaks this hardware trend of sony's

Carlito-san
December 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Watch your tone Sarah...you always feel the need to add a little insult in your posts...none of us have attacked you directly, so don't feel like you have to

But when you start off a post saying "At my store this. At my store that" people aren't going to think what you say applies to the rest of the world. Yes, we KNOW that your store sells GCN less than the other 3 systems. We've realized that already, you drill it into our heads in every post.

We KNOW that GCN sells less than PS2, we aren't denying the facts, at least I'm not. But that doesn't change the fact that I think GCN is far superior to the PS2 system wise and game wise.

Booo....ya...
Im not gonna argue with a mod,but i agree with D.And I dont make stuff up.

D,your getting a DS.FF is coming to the DS with FF3 (the real version,the Japanese one) with extra features like the touch screen and a Map.

Roxas
December 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM
PSP has way better graphics than DS. Also, PSP has way better games. Dude. it has Metal Gear Acid! Just that one game makes PSP hundreds of times better than DS. So with the insanely awesome graphics, PSP is thousands of times better than DS

Carlito-san
December 13th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Do you know what type of game MGA is?2 words:Card Battler

Kairi
December 13th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Kenishin, that’s the kind of post we don’t need. Just declaring one better than the other gets no where. Even if you had given facts, those kind of posts aren’t well received. You can post about why you think you’ll get one, or why you believe it’ll do better, but don’t flat out make a declaration. =\

Discussion guys, don’t just bat around facts. Discuss the launch, the future, whatever.

billy (post before kenshin's), we have already resolved that issue. Please leave the modding to the mods.

Scyther5
December 14th, 2004, 03:24 PM
This might clear up alot on the PSP battery issue. http://psp.ign.com/articles/572/572563p1.html

The whole experiment is about the battery life of the PSP.
Shows about 5 1/2 hours of battery life. :\

Simmons_2.0
December 14th, 2004, 04:04 PM
PSP has way better graphics than DS. Also, PSP has way better games. Dude. it has Metal Gear Acid! Just that one game makes PSP hundreds of times better than DS. So with the insanely awesome graphics, PSP is thousands of times better than DS

That may be your opinion. But we dont need to hear it!!! It doesnt matter how good the graphics are. As i've said befor ill buy anything as long as it has some decent gameplay.

Brittany
December 14th, 2004, 04:05 PM
That may be your opinion. But we dont need to hear it!!! It doesnt matter how good the graphics are. As i've said befor ill buy anything as long as it has some decent gameplay.
Abby already told him off XD
No need to continue arguing about a dead problem.

The Fallen
December 14th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I think both will measure out to be the same.

Simmons_2.0
December 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Abby already told him off XD
No need to continue arguing about a dead problem.

Wooops sorry about that :nervous:

Brittany
December 14th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Wooops sorry about that :nervous:
'tis okay. I just don't want this thread to go in the wrong direction again.

Corrupt
December 14th, 2004, 05:16 PM
i like psp grapixs but DS is classic games and touch sceen

John Denver
December 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM
If Nintendo was smart...they would have released Warioware with it...it opened in Japan with great applaud! But in the us? NOOOOOOOOO!

And they need to make an original game, instead of just a bunch of rerealeses of older games...they're good, but not great!

Simmons_2.0
December 14th, 2004, 08:37 PM
I think both will measure out to be the same.

They wont measure to be the same one will sell better than other.

Arcanine
December 14th, 2004, 09:04 PM
If Nintendo was smart...they would have released Warioware with it...it opened in Japan with great applaud! But in the us? NOOOOOOOOO!

And they need to make an original game, instead of just a bunch of rerealeses of older games...they're good, but not great!If Nintendo were smart then they would have let KH: CoM on the DS. But no, it had to come out on the GBA (I think that was a bad move on the part of Nintendo).
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/AIVAS/Thechans.jpg)

Spanky
December 14th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I pretty much hate nintendo, I don not support anything of thers, and I believe that the PSP far surpasses the NDS in Style, QUality, Games, and Satisfactorieness

Arcanine
December 14th, 2004, 09:15 PM
I pretty much hate nintendo, I don not support anything of thers, and I believe that the PSP far surpasses the NDS in Style, QUality, Games, and SatisfactorienessRead post 178 in this thread (the post was by Kairi) and you will see that your post is posts like she is talking about.

John Denver
December 15th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Tommy -_-

I ask that NO ONE respond to his rant...we just went 3 pages without any rants or flames we don't want to start it anew...

Brittany
December 15th, 2004, 06:01 AM
interesting how someone that does not support Nintendo at all joins a pokemon-themed webforum...eh?

This is one of those times where I feel like banning Brit and Sarah, but since I have a better sense of respect than that, I'll just leave them this message: What you are saying may be borderline flaming. These members were having a blissful time ignorantly thinking the DS is better, but you guys have to come in and flame them and impress your opinion upon them. At least Kenny stated respectfully that his opinions was his and he didn't want to impress it on us. Just let these people be blissfully ignorant with their supprt for the DS. All you two ever had to do was post, "I support the PSP for the following reasons:..." and then leave.

/end rant
*FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME*

/rant

Actually, I think I'll take Dakota's advice on this one XD

KLS
December 15th, 2004, 06:17 AM
in my opinion
both have potential,
however the DS is certainly quite a shock
2 screens and using a *pen* to control what you do, and you can chat with your friends.
the competition's tough for PSP.

Chase Leader
December 15th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Brittany, you're a mod, are you being dumb or something? Mods shouldn't act the way you just did. Your setting a horrible example...do all mods act like you do?

Geez, this is dissapointing. I've been to plenty of boards, and moderators and such would never act the way YOU just did.

By the way, I think is PSP better :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

John Denver
December 15th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Brittany, you're a mod, are you being dumb or something? Mods shouldn't act the way you just did. Your setting a horrible example...do all mods act like you do?

Geez, this is dissapointing. I've been to plenty of boards, and moderators and such would never act the way YOU just did.

By the way, I think is PSP better :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Heh, your barley a member here and you already know what your talking about more than Brit probably does...Ok you guys, seriously...No more ranting, flaming, attacking bashing or whatever else...geez

And frankly, I think the PSP and DS are EVEN!! I used to think DS was better, but the good and the bad simply do each other in. However, once a really good game for the DS comes out, I may have to change my mind.

Same goes for PSP with me...I mean if FF8 came out for it, I'm THERE! But if a Zelda game came out for it, I'm there as well. It's a double edged sword I'd say...BOO ya!

Kairi
December 15th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Tommy…maybe you should read through the thread. Do you see how I handled specific incidents and lead to topic back on course? This is called “effective modding”

A generic attack does nothing. I mean, wtf here, seriously? There haven’t been any flames, and I’ve stopped them both ways., the PSP haters and the DS haters. (And if you want to discuss this further, PM me.)

And Brittany, it doesn’t help if you accuse him like that. You’re not even the games mod. -.- Now so much as one more stupid post, and this is going to get closed. Come on here guys-I know this is a Pokmon forum, but let’s show more IQ than the average Pokmon, please.

And sorry Dakota, but I have to put a stop to all flaming, even his. Let's hope that's the last of it.

IceKitten
December 15th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Kind of off-topic but is Pearl/Diamond only coming out for DS?

Brittany
December 15th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Kind of off-topic but is Pearl/Diamond only coming out for DS?
Yes. Pokemon is a pretty Nintendo-ish thing at the moment, and it seems like it will stay that way in the near future and beyond

IceKitten
December 15th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Aww, I've used my GBA for ages but now (well not now XD) I'll have to get a better one =/

Kairi
December 15th, 2004, 09:50 AM
I think he knew it was staying Nintendo, but didn’t know if it was GBA or DS. Both Dash and Diamond/Pearl are DS games. ^_^;

Skarmory469
December 15th, 2004, 09:51 AM
You can ask to have a DS and Pokmon Pearl/Diamond for Christmas 2005

JoWood
December 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I still this is a matter of outsourcing, which is Sony's hope for the PSP. If people believe that this device can play video games, music, movies, type, use a camera better than other top-leading devices then no doubt that PSP will triumph over the DS. HOWEVER, Nintendo has offered a innovation technology to gaming. People are complaining because top-entertainment games aren't due to release on the DS. This is a new beginning for handheld technology, we went from 2-D graphics to 3-D with excellent graphics. Now Nintendo has extended this to original way of gaming, and if society wants to look past this then fine. It's their lost anyway.

A lotta Sony fans are too liberal to see it this way, but it's the truth. Inferior comparisons have been made about graphics, design, and sound. The DS offers the type of gameplay as the X-Box, PS2, GCN, and ultimately the PSP. The reverse to any of these systems is not true. Its only a matter of time before the people who've said graphics and design are top comparisons to the DS and PSP are eliminated from the existance of gaming.

Carlito-san
December 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM
If Nintendo were smart then they would have let KH: CoM on the DS. But no, it had to come out on the GBA (I think that was a bad move on the part of Nintendo).
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/AIVAS/Thechans.jpg)
See,Andy,Squenix started working on this just before the DS was announced.that's why.

Kairi
December 15th, 2004, 03:20 PM
How so? Graphics actually do influence gameplay. The DS doesn’t offer the same quality of graphics as any of the other consoles. If more power wasn’t essential, why would have Sony and Nintendo moved past the PS2 and the N64? Presentation is an important part of gameplay.

Among the improvements the PS2 and GCN had over the PSX and the N64 is the amount of data a game can store. This is also something the PSP has over the DS. Does it guarantee a better game? No. Does it give developers more to work with, and make it more appealing to develop for? Yes.

The DS does have a lot of uniqueness to it. But unless those features it has over the PSP are enough to overcome its other hurdles, it won’t do well. I’m not saying if this is true or not. I’m just saying don’t think that new ideas always work out, and produce better games.

Carlito-san
December 15th, 2004, 03:21 PM
How so? Graphics actually do influence gameplay. The DS doesnt offer the same quality of graphics as any of the other consoles. If more power wasnt essential, why would have Sony and Nintendo moved past the PS2 and the N64? Presentation is an important part of gameplay.

Among the improvements the PS2 and GCN had over the PSX and the N64 is the amount of data a game can store. This is also something the PSP has over the DS. Does it guarantee a better game? No. Does it give developers more to work with, and make it more appealing to develop for? Yes.

The DS does have a lot of uniqueness to it. But unless those features it has over the PSP are enough to overcome its other hurdles, it wont do well. Im not saying if this is true or not .Im just saying dont think that new idea always work, and produce better games.

You talking to me?XD

Kairi
December 15th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Talking to Jowood, mostly. ^_^;

Carlito-san
December 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I see.But graphics dont nessesarily make a system.Would you rather play a game of a stick running aroud in circles in the best graphical game ever,or play an incredibly fun 16-bit game?

Kairi
December 15th, 2004, 03:32 PM
That’s what I said, kind of. Graphics don’t necessarily make a good game. Bigger storagre space doesn’t necessarily make a good game. Touch control doesn’t necessarily make a good game. Sony doesn’t necessarily make a good game. Nintendo doesn’t necessarily make a good game.

The DS offers low-res 3D and many modes of interaction, two screens. PSP offers more powerful hardware. Both of these are appealing to different developers. Just because a game has bad graphics, doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just because a game has good graphics, it doesn’t mean there isn't more to it.

However, in gaming, consoles have been moving up in power, and it’s worked well. We could have stayed in 16-bit forever, but we would have never had the highly praised Mario 64. Or Final Fantasy 7.

I personally think portable gaming is a waste. However, I will not deny many disagree with me. What I’m saying is I wouldn’t put too much stock into EITHER of them. There are no guarantees any of the good points for either system will make it a winner.

Carlito-san
December 15th, 2004, 03:35 PM
See,thats what i like about you.You are never Biased.

Brittany
December 15th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I still this is a matter of outsourcing, which is Sony's hope for the PSP. If people believe that this device can play video games, music, movies, type, use a camera better than other top-leading devices then no doubt that PSP will triumph over the DS. HOWEVER, Nintendo has offered a innovation technology to gaming. People are complaining because top-entertainment games aren't due to release on the DS. This is a new beginning for handheld technology, we went from 2-D graphics to 3-D with excellent graphics. Now Nintendo has extended this to original way of gaming, and if society wants to look past this then fine. It's their lost anyway.

A lotta Sony fans are too liberal to see it this way, but it's the truth. Inferior comparisons have been made about graphics, design, and sound. The DS offers the type of gameplay as the X-Box, PS2, GCN, and ultimately the PSP. The reverse to any of these systems is not true. Its only a matter of time before the people who've said graphics and design are top comparisons to the DS and PSP are eliminated from the existance of gaming.
I think that Nintendo's 'innovations' are really just novelties, but I guess only time can tell whether or not I am right.

While we're waiting... well, what is the whole thing about 'going from 2-D to 3-D with excellent graphics'? We all know that PSP has better graphics, so to argue about it seems kinda useless. If you were using it as a stand-alone point for the DS, I could see your point, but because you are also attacking the PSP in your post, it seems like you're trying to prove that it's better in this aspect, which it isn't. (correct me if you weren't attacking the PSP on this issue)

And I don't see the 'The DS offers the type of gameplay as the X-Box, PS2, GCN, and ultimately the PSP' part either. PSP offers all of the types of gameplay as those products too. The DS's strength doesn't lie within it's compatibility with the old, but rather it's new features, which may or may not be accepted in the gaming community. Some of it's attributes have potential, but only time can tell if they live up to all of the hype. We have so little to base it on with it's starting line-up of games.

I don't think we can assume anything right now. Until more titles are released and experienced, we can only consider everything that we 'know' about them speculation.(aside from the machine's specs)

Lucifer
December 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM
That new Mario side-scroller for the DS looks amazing. Could be a return to form for the series after the fairly disappointing Mario Sunshine.

JoWood
December 17th, 2004, 05:37 AM
I think that Nintendo's 'innovations' are really just novelties, but I guess only time can tell whether or not I am right.

While we're waiting... well, what is the whole thing about 'going from 2-D to 3-D with excellent graphics'? We all know that PSP has better graphics, so to argue about it seems kinda useless. If you were using it as a stand-alone point for the DS, I could see your point, but because you are also attacking the PSP in your post, it seems like you're trying to prove that it's better in this aspect, which it isn't. (correct me if you weren't attacking the PSP on this issue)

And I don't see the 'The DS offers the type of gameplay as the X-Box, PS2, GCN, and ultimately the PSP' part either. PSP offers all of the types of gameplay as those products too. The DS's strength doesn't lie within it's compatibility with the old, but rather it's new features, which may or may not be accepted in the gaming community. Some of it's attributes have potential, but only time can tell if they live up to all of the hype. We have so little to base it on with it's starting line-up of games.

I don't think we can assume anything right now. Until more titles are released and experienced, we can only consider everything that we 'know' about them speculation.(aside from the machine's specs)

Like I said in my last post, comparisions are being simply off the horsepower of both consoles. Of course PSP has better graphics, we know this from the first post of the thread. But can you play the same way you play on the DS? No, you can't, simply because the DS offers features that innovate the gaming experience.

PSP cannot offer the experience of interaction within the game such as DS. If you are buying the PSP for gameplay why not go with the DS? It offers the same gameplay plus innovative features the PSP doesn't. AS Kairi said, the gaming community is mostly 17-25 year-olds who make feeble-minded comparisions simply based off of horsepower.

Of course the DS features could be great! But producers are having a hard time making use of all the features. It'll be difficult to utilize all the features. Why? Because it's somthing we aren't used to! (What we are used to to is the PSP.)

C my point?

Brittany
December 17th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Like I said in my last post, comparisions are being simply off the horsepower of both consoles. Of course PSP has better graphics, we know this from the first post of the thread. But can you play the same way you play on the DS? No, you can't, simply because the DS offers features that innovate the gaming experience.
Some people(namely Sony fans; Example: Me) don't really like the way the DS 'innovates' our gaming experiences. It's not that we don't recognize the features- we just don't like them.

PSP cannot offer the experience of interaction within the game such as DS. If you are buying the PSP for gameplay why not go with the DS? It offers the same gameplay plus innovative features the PSP doesn't. AS Kairi said, the gaming community is mostly 17-25 year-olds who make feeble-minded comparisions simply based off of horsepower.
Like I said in the first post, some of us don't really care for those features, which just leaves our decision to the handhelds' specifications and the games that are released for both of them.

Of course the DS features could be great! But producers are having a hard time making use of all the features. It'll be difficult to utilize all the features. Why? Because it's somthing we aren't used to! (What we are used to to is the PSP.)
Well, yes it wil be different for companies to make DS games. As for the rest of your statement, it's the same idea as my first two points. XD

C my point?
Yeah, I C it. I still like PSP better :P

Poke
December 17th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately for the DS is that Ive looked on a video game website and some of their games that are supposed to be hits (Madden, Spider Man 2) are flops. Madden got a C- and Spider Man 2 got a D+. Fortunately, Super Mario 64 on the DS got a B. So by the launch of the DS, the games are not very good but, they could get better.

Brittany
December 17th, 2004, 08:46 AM
I think we're all missing something here. Even Nintendo knows that it's a novelty. Their ultimate hope is for the features to be accepted and then become the norm for the gaming community, which isn't going to well at the moment, and that's also probably why it isn't the Gameboy's successor. It's their 'third pillar'.

If sales don't go well after the novelty hype goes down, they will still have GBE to release, and NDS won't have a next generation.

I'm not saying that NDS will always be a novelty, but even Nintendo has a back-up plan. My own back-up plan is just to buy the PSP XD

mew42003
December 17th, 2004, 08:50 AM
I like DS more cause I got one.

Poke
December 17th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Hmmmmmm............ well we will have to find out.......

Brittany
December 17th, 2004, 08:53 AM
I like DS more cause I got one.
That's a reason that nobody has posted yet :P

Poke
December 17th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Well I dont think anybody has the honesty to just say they like it cause they have it....but thats just my opinon......

Kairi
December 17th, 2004, 11:34 AM
I suppose. I’d really rather Sony and Nintendo focus on other things though, really. And If, if the PSP out does the DS, I hope Nintendo learns from it and applies the knowledge to the next Gameboy. I think the Gameboy works because of its limitations, however I can’t properly articulate it. Bleh.

Lucifer
December 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM
That knowledge being "graphics = ratings", of course.

The handheld market is just getting sucked into a war over who can make the most powerful machine - the way it is in the world of home consoles. I don't fancy being battered by new Game Boys and PSPs every 3 years. Especially since the original Game Boy/GBC kept millions entertained over its 12 or-so years at the top.

I still think there's plenty of life left in the GBA, myself. But I'm afraid that 2005 could be its last year on the market. It's a shame, really, that from now on this is the way it's always going to be.

poke-fan
December 17th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Some people might like playing the Advance games on SP better. You never know.

JoWood
December 17th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Now it's my turn ^^

Innovate? Don't you mean dilute?
I mean, hear me out here. Games shouldn't need gimmicks, they just need solid gameplay that doesn't get tired. A touch screen for an FPS? That's not a step forward, it's an awkward spinning around on the spot, then falling on your bottom. Wow, you've got 'innovative new wireless'. It's just 11g without a proper IP stack, because Nintendo got lazy. You've got two screens? How awesome, I'd love to see my steering wheel on one screen when all the action takes place on the other. Two screens was an awesome idea when screens couldn't scroll, 20 years ago. Now it just feels kinda retro, and not in that warm good way.

Why not go the DS? Because it looks archaic, it has graphics two generations behind, it's 'features' really ARE noveltys. I mean, you stack up the NDS next to the PSP and it looks like an old toy, compared to the sleak lines and pretty graphics of the PSP. And no, I'm not a Sony Fangirl. I just know what I like, and I don't like that. Yeah, some people can have a total lack of bias (luv you Abby! <3<3), but I'm a little more outwardly speaking when it comes to what I like. I also know from working in a games shop what people look for. People don't buy an Xbox or PS2 cause they can play DVD's, they do it cause of the good games. Gimmicks don't sell consoles, the games do. And if the games are crap, chances are the sales will be, too. And for my bottom line, that sucks.

A hard time making use of the features? Wow, that's a bad sign. All these gimmicks, and no-one knows how to use them. Seems like it could be a bad idea to focus on features over functionality and substance.

But then,
You guys are entitled to your opinion.
And I'm entitled to mine.
kthxbaiu!

A gimmick!? Hardly a gimmick(although I hate Nintendo for solely focusing on the 2-screens). The DS can do everything the PSP can, and more! You defense is simply because you don't like these features because they are a gimmick. So what do you make of HP's best selling palm pilots with the touch screen feature? IS this a gimmick that millions of people have brought into? I don't think so, it makes organizing easier and then Nintendo put this into a effect with a different use for the DS.

For years all we have been doing is enhancing graphics for a console, thus most of the gaming popularity buys into the good graphics. Imagine a game like FFCC on the DS, imagine the possibilities! Imagine the great RPGs, like ToS and Advance Wars. DS could make these games a whole new experience and all the PSP can do is enhance graphics. That sure seems like a great reason to buy the PSP. </sarcasm>

You said people buy PS2 and X-Box because of the great games they offer. RIGHT! Now imagine a game like Halo 2 (whose graphics I'm highly disapointed in.) on the DS. You see how the features of the DS come into play, it could be better the original. Take any other top-selling and then see how the DS could enhance it with the features it offers. Goes far beyond graphics doesn't it?

All these features are hard to make use of, why? Because all producers have been doing is enhancing graphics! And now since they can't go much further they decided to make DVDs, CD & mp3 players in consoles now.
And I'm entitled to mine.

John Denver
December 17th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Sorry, but there's no way you could 'enhance' even a crappy game like Halo 2 by using the DS's features. The touch screen has NO PRACTICAL use in controlling a game, especially an FPS Game.
You really ARE delusional if you think two screens, a stylus, a castrared wireless standard and graphics on par with the N64 could enhance ANY recent game.

Why do you feel the need to insult people who disagree with you?

And have you seen Warioware DS? I don't know when it's coming out in america, but that game uses the touch screen beautifully!

DragonTrainer
December 17th, 2004, 03:13 PM
I personally would never buy a system or a game for the features or graphics or battery power or whatever. Call me loopy, but if a system/game comes out that could keep me entertained for oh so long, no matter what features or graphics, so long as I could sit there for hours playing and enjoying it, it's good enough for me to buy.

Hope I made sense o.o

JoWood
December 17th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Sorry, but there's no way you could 'enhance' even a crappy game like Halo 2 by using the DS's features. The touch screen has NO PRACTICAL use in controlling a game, especially an FPS Game.
You really ARE delusional if you think two screens, a stylus, a castrared wireless standard and graphics on par with the N64 could enhance ANY recent game.

Can you really be that feeble-minded? You do realize how the DS could make use of the things you make sound so inferior? Open your mind just a little and I'm sure some light will seep in. The DS offers things NO OTHER console have, thus making powerful enough to enhance any game. The touch has no use in controlling the game yeah, but can you imagine the strategies you'll be able to plot with a map right below you. And it just doesn't stop at this, there is way more that can be offered.

(my bad if this flamed)
With all due respect,
JoWood

JoWood
December 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I'm going to ignore Dakota, because as is the norm for male S-mods, his contribution is useless to the conversation.
So, JoWood, how about we take an example.
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, imagine it somehow got a port to the DS. How would your precious 'features' enhance what is already so close to perfect?

First of all I didn't say it would make the game perfect. But I'll equal up to your challenge. Lets take the microphone first, imagine possibilities of being able to reload simply by speaking through the microphone. Other features like talking to your girlfriend while on a date to keep the entertainment bar up. Now the second screen,

(I have to go now. Think about that for a while.)

Ryoutarou
December 17th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Yay? You COULD relay on crappy voice recognition software (Sorry, the PS2 did it first with the Socom Headset) or you could press one button to reload.
The second screen has no purpose, really. Like I said, it's a feature great for when games couldn't scroll. But now? Pointless. Menu or item screens can be kept up on that second screen. For the Pokemon or Zelda games it would create a constantly opened backpack of items which would be easier for some players....but what do I know - -;

Lucifer
December 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Menu or item screens can be kept up on that second screen. For the Pokemon or Zelda games it would create a constantly opened backpack of items which would be easier for some players....but what do I know - -;

It'd be perfect for a game like Final Fantasy III. The menu options are displayed on the bottom screen during field events, allowing for instant item switching and saving. It could also double-up as your information/command bar during battles as well, leaving the top screen clutter-free.

Zelda too. No more pausing the game to assign your Hookshot to a button. One tap of the screen and it's at your disposal.

John Denver
December 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM
JoWood...Sarah...if either of you flame again I'm closing this thread. It happens every single thread!! You can still have a fine argument without insulting each other, geez you two.

And I think the touch screen would be awesome if a game like Ninja Assault was ported to it. Instead of a gun, you would just touch the screen, and things like weapon switch could be on the top screen. I do, however, think that nintendo should have made BOTH screens touch-sensitive, cause it kind of makes the games one-sided.

Carlito-san
December 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Why do you feel the need to insult people who disagree with you?

And have you seen Warioware DS? I don't know when it's coming out in america, but that game uses the touch screen beautifully!

If they made 2 TS,the prices would shoot though the roof.XD
Congrats on returning BTW,D.

But,i have imported it.(Warioware DS)It could not be played ANY
OTHER WAY.Thats a fact.1 minigame,you have to cut a piece of bread in half.Could you do that(that way)on a PS2?No.GC?No.Thats why the DS is so innovative.

Kairi
December 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I think all that’s being said are these new innovations aren’t needed to kepe gaming alive, or even fresh. The “Great” games of recent didn’t need anything more than tried and true power of consoles to be great. By your logic, there’s no point in playing Xbox games, since all they offers is graphics over the DS.

The graphics –are- an important part of gameplay. I imagine if the Gamecube has been released with N64 graphics, people would have been disappointed. Graphics are part of presentation, and that is important.

By far what’s going to be a larger draw for consumers than any other aspect of either of these consoles is developers. Square fans will get a PSP. Not because it has good graphics, but because it has Square.

People who enjoy the licensees Nintendo has such as Metriod will get a DS. And they would do so even if it didn’t have these innovations. Because they want to play a good Metriod game, and Nintendo is the only place to go for that.

Now developer wise, they have to weigh their options before considering to develop for either system. On the DS side they have new methods of input to try. On the PSP they have better graphics and more space for their games.

Look at something like the Atari. Would you still want to play games that look like that? All the NES did was really step up the graphics. Why bother with it? Sure, the NES also had a larger capacity for games. This means they could be more complex by holding more data.

The PSP is the same way. It can hold more data per game, and can present them better. This -is- an appealing aspect to both developer and consumer. This has been proven throughout history.

The DS, however, offers something very new and very risky. Already we’ve seen many failed attempts to utilize its features, with few really successful ones. This doesn’t mean it’ll fail, it just goes to show it’s difficult to use these features as an edge to make use of in the war.

So while trying new things is good, if you don’t have a solid backing, it’ll all fall through.

Also, I realize this post may seem leaned towards the PSP. But rest assured, I despise both of them with equal disgust.

Carlito-san
December 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM
No,Abby,it doesnt look for the PSP.It has equal points about the DS and PSP.
I agree.

pokejungle
December 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM
By far whats going to be a larger draw for consumers than any other aspect of either of these consoles is developers. Square fans will get a PSP. Not because it has good graphics, but because it has Square

Er....get your facts straight. Its been reported SE has put more effort into the DS than the PSP. The PSP has currently very low 3rd party support =/

Also, I realize this post may seem leaned towards the PSP. But rest assured, I despise both of them with equal disgust.

Are you a console anarchist now? In my eyes, a true gamer apperciates these new systems both, for their amazing leap forward in the handheld world. I don't know what's disgusting about it. Rebuttle?

Kairi
December 17th, 2004, 05:36 PM
The Square thing was an example. It could have worked with any PSP 3rd party. The point still stands that if there’s a game or company on either side that’s massively appealing, people will flock to it.

I despise them because of PC, really. ~_~ Otherwise I’m indifferent to them.

pokejungle
December 17th, 2004, 05:40 PM
I despise them because of PC, really. ~_~ Otherwise Im indifferent to them.

Just like to be a rock in the flow of what's cool? -_- You sound like the people who turned against Pokemon when it was the "in" thing. >>;

Kairi
December 17th, 2004, 05:41 PM
And yet here I am, working on a Pokmon message board. My room is lined with Pokmon stuff. It caught my interest. The PSP and DS have not. Furthermore, these threads cause me more time, grief, and work than any other single aspect of the board. As such, I have a little distaste for them.

But that has nothing to do with the systems themselves, so let’s return to that.

John Denver
December 17th, 2004, 05:52 PM
I despise both of them with equal disgust.

I can kind of feel with you there. I don't despise the two systems, but I don't really like either of them.

But if I had to pick one, I'd say that the DS is the lesser of the two evils.

pokejungle
December 17th, 2004, 06:00 PM
And yet here I am, working on a Pokmon message board. My room is lined with Pokmon stuff. It caught my interest. The PSP and DS have not. Furthermore, these threads cause me more time, grief, and work than any other single aspect of the board. As such, I have a little distaste for them

You were just BEGGING for a rebuttle. I never said you were aniti-pokemon....x_x I have an AWESOME solution for your problems: IGNORE THOSE THREADS! >>;

Kairi
December 17th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I’m an admin. It’s my job to deal with these threads. Now stop fighting with me and start discussing the DS/PSP. Last chance.

John Denver
December 17th, 2004, 06:04 PM
You were just BEGGING for a rebuttle. I never said you were aniti-pokemon....x_x I have an AWESOME solution for your problems: IGNORE THOSE THREADS! >>;

Sometimes people like a little bit of argument, and you have no idea how hard it is to just ignore these kinds of threads when your the one that is being attacked.

basic, human, nature...

JoWood
December 17th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Yay? You COULD relay on crappy voice recognition software (Sorry, the PS2 did it first with the Socom Headset) or you could press one button to reload.
The second screen has no purpose, really. Like I said, it's a feature great for when games couldn't scroll. But now? Pointless.

This is an innovation to the experience. WOW! Sony did it first with a Socom Headset. What handheld do you see being used on a handheld? *looks around* I don't see any... NOW the second, touch screen.

OF course on San Andreas we will eliminate the need to wear glasses to actually see the points in that little circle at the bottom of the screen and put this below you so you won't have to pause for useless things such as this. How about being able to spray paint your low-rider or car to your liking of design. This can also be done with graffitti on the tags and tattos that you get. You could design your own haircut instead of just buying the designs they give you.
How about being able to touch the screen on the enemies gangs to see their current stats like the percentage of territory they own and etc... How about when you try a home invasion mission, the microphone can pick up sounds that are being made around the console. This engage you more in the game and well as make it more challenging. When swimming, the microphone could make it so that you actually had to breath with the game in order to keep your lung capacity going good. The wardrobe, when you go into a store or your safe house you have to wait until the graphics load to see Carl in the appearance you want. Using the bottom touch screen once Carl walks in the closet you can customize from there and then walk out satisfied without spends a whole day in a clothing store. How about putting extra strategy into the game? Once you complete a task you have to make an escape route using the touch screen and map on the bottom screen; and if that route plan fails then you lose the mission. This would make prima books craved for the best escape routes and etc.

There are tons of possibilities...

Lucifer
December 19th, 2004, 07:54 AM
from GameSpot
According to dozens of forum posts and lower-end game sites, many of the first batch of PSPs suffered from a variety of defects, including "dead pixels, dead drives, analog sticks not working and even falling off, and even screens with dust and 'air bubbles'," according to Engadget. A more spectacular alleged problem was the so-called "Master of the Flying UMD Guillotine Trick." According to reports--one of which even featured video evidence--if you twist the PSP a certain way, the UMD drive opens, causing the disc to come flying out like a throwing star. Luckily, GameSpot can address both these rumors head on. While in Japan last weekend, GameSpot editors did observe some PSPs with dead pixels, but did not see any evidence of the other defects. As to the flying-disc glitch, we were brave enough to use one of our precious PSP units to test the theory. Amazingly, with just the right touch, out it popped.

Looks like Sony are true to form.

Brittany
December 19th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Wow, I avoid this thread for a few days, and this is what I have to work with?

Anyway, to Lucifer, we'll always expect for a few systems to have defects. That article didn't specify any ratio, nor does it say if a warrenty can cover for those problems. Until more information is obtained then the majority of those problems are just rumors, as stated in the article itself.

And for the 'twist the PSP problem', they had to have 'just the right touch'. And who knows how many times they tried to do it while abusing that poor handheld :P
Why the heck would you spend your time twisting it anyway?

It is still a shame that all of those problems might be true, but 'might' only goes so far.

John Denver
December 20th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Why can't sony make their Game Systems as good as their TV's or MP3 players? If the iPod were a game system *drools*

But Sony has had the horrendous rep of having poor hardware mileage. Now before 3 of you come in with the "I've had my playsation1 since it came out and it still works." Well, good for you. Tell that to the millions more of other kids with the complete opposite situation.

Though they are just rumors, and I'm not saying I believe them right away, they are rumors coming from the company with that rap sheet.

Scyther5
December 20th, 2004, 08:22 PM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html?fromint=1

Theres the hard facts on the PSP battery life. Up to date too.
A tad weak, but none the less Im still getting it.

John Denver
December 21st, 2004, 04:49 AM
So the battery life is as I thought it'd be, pretty low. But I seriously doubt that this'll stop anyone from buying it. Most individuals will simply buy an adapter or whatnot, and shell out MORE money. >.<

Lucifer
December 21st, 2004, 06:46 AM
Poor battery life is a big no-no for me. Most of the time I lose track of the time and end up playing handhelds for ages and ages. So a low battery life isn't going to work in my favour. I don't see why you should have to sacrifice screen brightness and sound to decrease battery usage either.

Saying that though, I'm a Final Fantasy junkie, so I'll be buying the PSP regardless.

Spectrum
December 21st, 2004, 07:02 AM
As I expected, PSP has a low battery life, so that pretty much destroys my idea of DS emulation porting. That being said, I'm a Pokemon junkie, so I'll officially be getting the DS now.

Carlito-san
December 21st, 2004, 07:38 AM
Dakota,Sony has been successfully sued for Making their hardware break,so people had to buy more.

IceKitten
December 21st, 2004, 07:40 AM
Battery life meaning it takes more batteries? (I have a battery recharger so my question may not be relevant)

I'll be taking the DS then >.>

Carlito-san
December 21st, 2004, 07:42 AM
We'll just go with that,Tig.XD

But,no your question is relevent.

Sycther5,you belive IGN?Ever heard"You cant spell ignorant without IGN"?

Brittany
December 21st, 2004, 07:50 AM
We'll just go with that,Tig.XD

But,no your question is relevent.

Sycther5,you belive IGN?Ever heard"You cant spell ignorant without IGN"?
?
IGN says that battery life is kinda weak, just as you are all saying. Which confuzzles the heck outta me with what you just said.

Carlito-san
December 21st, 2004, 07:53 AM
IGN always lies."Cant spell ignorant without IGN"

They all hate the DS.They get payed by sony,I think.

IceKitten
December 21st, 2004, 07:54 AM
I'm confused about the battery life thing, is it wasting the battery power faster?

Carlito-san
December 21st, 2004, 08:02 AM
Yes.PSP reports to 5-7 hours,DS is about 10-12,depending on if its GBA or DS.

Brittany
December 21st, 2004, 08:04 AM
IGN always lies."Cant spell ignorant without IGN"

They all hate the DS.They get payed by sony,I think.
They said PSP has low battery life. Calling them ignorant would mean that PSP has high battery life. You're not really setting a statement with what you just said...

And about the battery life.
It weighs in at Sony's 4-6 hour estimation, with speakers and screen brightness at 100%, and one test with WiFi?

Also keep in mind, Ridge Racers is a with comparable graphics to PS2(thats why they did tests with this), which means heavy processor usage, and that's exactly what Sony said would drain it quickly.

Play a game with a tad bit less quality(FF7 anyone?), without the full screen brightness and speakers at max, and we'll expect more out of it.

It all depends on what you buy. If you're buying a game that uses all of that UMD space to pump out extreme graphics, then draining the battery shouldn't be much of a suprise to you. Get a game that uses all of that UMD space for a longer game, with not-so-extreme graphics, and expect it to not drain so quickly.

IceKitten
December 21st, 2004, 08:04 AM
I is definately sticking to the DS then :P

Carlito-san
December 21st, 2004, 08:06 AM
I mean,IGN almost always lies,but not about the PSP's 5-7 hour battery.
This guy on another board got 6 hours,bright to the max,full volume,wifi,on RR.

Lucifer
December 21st, 2004, 09:29 AM
Also keep in mind, Ridge Racers is a with comparable graphics to PS2(thats why they did tests with this), which means heavy processor usage, and that's exactly what Sony said would drain it quickly.

Play a game with a tad bit less quality(FF7 anyone?), without the full screen brightness and speakers at max, and we'll expect more out of it.

Well if that's the case, then why did they bother implementing PS2-esq visuals in the first place? If it's going to drain the battery faster then surely they weren't ready to design a machine this powerful.

Also, like I said above - you shouldn't have to sacrifice screen brightness or volume to lower battery usage. If you want a fully-lit screen then you should be able to have it with the bare minimum loss of batt. power.

Brittany
December 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM
Well if that's the case, then why did they bother implementing PS2-esq visuals in the first place? If it's going to drain the battery faster then surely they weren't ready to design a machine this powerful.

Also, like I said above - you shouldn't have to sacrifice screen brightness or volume to lower battery usage. If you want a fully-lit screen then you should be able to have it with the bare minimum loss of batt. power.
Because some developers want that kinda power for thier game. And also, remember that some games will need great processing power at some points, but not the whole way through. A great example is an RPG. I'm sure that there are different things happening under the hood of your system while your walking around, compared to watching an fmv or battling. Or how-about games like FF7 or 8 where you walk around with one playing in the background?

Thats why they used a game like Ridge Racers, because graphics and power usage is high throughout all of gameplay.

And for Brightness and Sound-
If you need max brightness, then it's obviously night, or you're in a badly lit area. In either of those situations, a power supply is more than likely around. I don't think many kids go out to play at night and bring their gameboys with them.

Sound- ehh, I was basing this off of myself. I don't like people advertising thier handhelds in public when they do this. Thats what headphones and low volume settings are made for. Playing it in private? Then you more than likely have a power supply near.

Btw, is it okay if I call you Lucy? :P

Carlito-san
December 21st, 2004, 09:55 AM
My friend,he has an imported PSP from Japan.So,he let me play it.(he has RR)
I have to say,it does infact play well.Feels the same as my DS RR.

TRIFORCE89
December 21st, 2004, 01:01 PM
In my opinion, neither system is better than the other is. I think it's all personal taste. What one thinks is gimmicky (for either system); another may think is pure genius. The games on the two systems will no doubt be very different, but again what you like depends on yourself. For example, nothing on the PlayStation consoles has ever appealed to me. Nothing has ever made me say, "I want that" except for Kingdom Hearts (note, KH is the only game I want from PS2, but it is not enough of a reason for me to buy the system.). But I love all the Nintendo franchises and they appeal to me, so I buy Nintendo. So, everything boils down to personal taste. All opinion, even if it is based on fact. Everything has pros and cons, both systems have lots of potential.

So, since my post has been about opinions...here's another person's opinion. He's reviewed both systems based on the actual hardware itself. I think I read somewhere in the thread that the PSP has a cover (I've only glanced at this thread really), but the author seems to have ignored that fact. So, there may be some negative feedback in there that can easily be solved with the use of the cover.

PSP (http://nfg.2y.net/games/PSP/)
DS (http://nfg.2y.net/games/DS/)

And, I'm not supporting either article. They are merely there for you to read. I have DS, and don't plan on buying PSP (if the PS2 didn't appeal to me, why would I buy the pocket version?), but that doesn't mean I think the DS is better or that I agree with the articles I supplied. For instance, in PSP article it says, "Sony has officially encouraged ports for the new hardware to minimize development time and costs. Same games, new media; a curse we as gamers seem unable to shed." I don't see the point in that criticism as Nintendo's doing the exact same thing (Super Mario 64 DS) and has been with the GBA too. :\