View Full Version : Most annoying gym leader in FR/LG?

March 14th, 2011, 3:51 PM
Well, which one do you think is THE most annoying? For me, it was Misty cause I chose Charmander.

March 14th, 2011, 4:56 PM
I have to say Koga since he inflicts a status every time he hits your pokemon.

March 14th, 2011, 5:31 PM
Yeah, Koga's the only one I remember actually having problems with. His pokemon are at quite a high level too if I remember correctly.
Kanto in general has quite an easy set of gym leaders though :]

Apart from Brock if you choose Charmander, that is.

Anyone ever have difficulties against Blaine btw? He always seems to die so quickly when I battle him...

March 14th, 2011, 7:59 PM
Hmm. I don't really ever recall having difficulties with FRLG or RBY gym leaders... But if I had to pick, I'd say Kanto's toughest goes to Sabrina. Halfway because of her gym design, and halfway because if you don't have a hard hitting physical attack pokemon/ SPDEF tank, you're SOL against her haha

@GoGoShinyDunsparce: Nope, the only time Blaine has ever been a minute challenge was when I took him on with a team of 3 grass and 1 bug types. But even then, he died quickly enough

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
March 15th, 2011, 9:58 AM
Koga for his poison-causing moves and the fact that now three out of his four Pokemon only have a weakness to Psychic because of their ability. And it doesn't help that his Pokemon are pretty resilient as well.

March 15th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I don't remember many of them being too painful, tbh. I guess Misty can be annoying when you choose Charmander and don't plan on using any grass types though.

March 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Misty's Starmie is quite the behemoth I'll admit, but nothing compares to the pain I experienced facing Koga, with a team manned by my Venasaur alone. His Koffing is an explosion threat, his Grimer and
Muk spam minimize and proceed to whittle your HP down with Toxic, and his Weezing....oh lord, this thing is near impossible to take down and hits extremely hard with Sludge.

March 15th, 2011, 1:08 PM
They were all generally easy but Koga's pokemon levels jumped a lot higher than Ericka's. Usually gym leaders pokemon level difference isn't big but the difference between his levels and Ericka's levels I think has the biggest gap.

March 15th, 2011, 4:58 PM
absolutely lt surge, you only have diglett to defend yourself

March 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
absolutely lt surge, you only have diglett to defend yourself

That's why I always nab myself a geodude and level him up to take on Surge.

March 15th, 2011, 11:18 PM
The most annoying is a tie between Erika & Koga because both of them use status-inflicting moves (Erika - Stun Spore, Koga - Toxic/Sludgebomb/anyotherpoisontypemoveihate) >_>

March 19th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Misty. because I often choose Charmander, and if I not catch Pikachu, Weedle or Oddish/Bellsprout it will be very hard, plus Water pulse still hit hard on Pikachu and have 20% chance of confusion.

March 19th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Probably Sabrina, due to the lack of pure Ghost-types and Dark-type moves. She always owns my team.

March 19th, 2011, 1:44 AM
I'll say Misty, totally! When you think you've beaten her water-types she send out
her strongest Pokémon, Starmie. You still think you gat a chance, even with your
grass-starter, the she suddenly "kills" your pokemon with only one attack!!! :(

Wings Don't Cry
March 20th, 2011, 7:22 PM
It'd have to be between Misty and Sabrina. I always catch an Abra and evolve it. Starmie is part psychic so it resists my Kadabra's attacks and its Water Pulse pretty much finishes me instantly and Sabrina, well it's just a matter of Alakazam > Kadabra and the only attack I can learn to use against a Psychic type at that point are leech life, shadow ball(stupid ghost attacks using attack type and not special), bite and thief. Every other gym leader is pretty easy, Erkia grass/posion, psybeam, Koga poison, psybeam, Giovanni Nidoking and Nidoqueen, psybeam.

March 23rd, 2011, 3:19 PM
That's easy...Koga! I hate the invisible walls in his gym. They took a long time to figure out.

March 26th, 2011, 7:16 AM
Brock post-charmander. Such a bugger. Resorted to training a Nidoran.

March 26th, 2011, 8:24 PM
Koga threw me off the most... I really don't care for poison types so they bug me.

March 27th, 2011, 1:06 AM
Erica and Koga were the master trouble makers for me, inflicting a status with every second move. >:(

March 27th, 2011, 2:59 AM
I had most trouble with Koga, kept using Toxic and fainting by Poison :(

March 27th, 2011, 6:50 AM
I just remember having trouble with Misty because her Starmie hit really hard.

March 27th, 2011, 8:42 AM
Misty is tough if you started with Charmander and didn't grab a Pikachu in Viridian forest. Koga gave me the most trouble on my first play through of the game though. The level jump from Erika to him was quite large and his Muk can become very annoying.

Urist McHemlock
March 27th, 2011, 8:47 AM
Koga was very easy for me, I had a Hypno with Psychic and took down his whole team with it. Brock, Misty, Erika, Lt. Surge, Blaine and the other gym leaders were easy. (FR/LG btw). In Blue, I had trouble with Brock because of the ground weakness(chose Bulbasaur). The other ones I used a Dugtrio to kill them all.

R.K 9
March 27th, 2011, 9:11 AM
same as most people, I chose misty because I chose charmander as my starter and I really don't like pikachu so I didn't use one. funnily enough, before the third gym I caught an oddish, was a little too late :(...

Amuro Ray
March 27th, 2011, 9:42 AM
None of them.

FR/LG were way to easy.

March 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Brock is pretty hard if you started with Charmander.
Misty is annoying if you started with Squirtle or Charmander.
Lt. Surge is fairly annoying if you started with Bulbasaur.

That's how I see it.

March 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I voted for Blaine
I usually only use the Lapras and no rock types in FR

I'm really surprised so many people picked Misty
At that stage of the game it's fairly easy to overlevel your starter/pikachu/oddish/bellsprout and kick her butt

Dark Piplup
March 27th, 2011, 1:58 PM
Ughhhh Misty! I chose Charmander and it didn't go well. Not well at all. Starmie=DEATH:(

March 28th, 2011, 3:07 PM
At this point I'll say the poison guy, but I'll probably find Blaine infinitely more annoying.

April 4th, 2011, 5:50 PM
Koga ,caused Too many status conditions! ._. But,I chose squirtle,and blastoise(it was one by then) went from level 38 to level 49 after i grinded for a few minutes...So i was able to heal from toxic and get a hit in....Still was hard though..

Sol Rovyn
April 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I would have to go with Koga because of the constant infliction of status conditions. Otherwise, Alakazam took care of him pretty quickly, albeit the status infliction which did a number on his HP.

April 5th, 2011, 1:31 PM
Lt. Surge, I just always have trouble with him!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Mines would have to be Lt. Surge because I had a Pidgeotto or Pidgeot (can't remember which one) and I had either a Wartoltle or a Blastoise on my team and Electricty was their weaknesses. Erika wasn't a problem because I had Pidgeot

April 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Misty, Starmie was an absolute tank!

Fire Walker
April 9th, 2011, 8:00 AM
Mine would have to be Koga. I had Venusaur with pretty much all grass moves my first time through and just could not take down Weezing or Muk.

mondays suck
April 9th, 2011, 8:38 AM
In the remakes, Koga and Misty are pretty much the only gym leaders that are actually challenging. Misty because Starmie has far superior stats to anything you will have at that point and that hax-happy Water Pulse, Koga mainly because of Levitate, Selfdestruct/Explosion and Minimize.

April 9th, 2011, 2:24 PM
i completely hated sabrina, because i don't think i had many pokemon that had a dark or bug move.

April 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM
My struggle in these games was against Koga. If my Blastoise or Charizard had gotten taken out I was guaranteed to lose and if I picked Bulbasaur I would probably have lost anyway.

Get Weird
April 10th, 2011, 1:49 PM

I didn't find her that hard, she just spammed Water Pulse all the time, which made me confused, and then my Pokemon would just be u_u confused. obvious.

Although I must admit, Koga comes in close second.

strange, coulda sworn this thread had already been blessed with my presence.

April 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Giovanni because I was always under leveled by the time I got to him and if I didn't have a decent water type I more than likely would lose anyway.

April 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Koga was quite annoying for me, especially because I raised my Venusaur and only my Venusaur, everything else was an HM Slave. His entire team was incredibly bulky and knew either explosion or evasion moves, a nuisance to any trainer. I did manage to beat him, though, after some intense Venusaur grinding.

April 15th, 2011, 9:36 PM
Misty... first of all I chose charmander as my starter, which had good moves to use on, and her starmie kept spamming recover so it prolonged the battle even further ._.

Edward Elric
April 16th, 2011, 3:27 PM
I always have trouble with Koga >_>

April 16th, 2011, 3:34 PM
Lt. Surge
I just hated those damn buttons in the trash cans.

April 16th, 2011, 3:37 PM

Because of the lack of Dark-types in Gen I, I always have to grind up my levels to 40+ to even come close to her Alakazam.

April 17th, 2011, 7:54 PM
For me it was Koga. Poison + Minimize + Muk's defense = Anger...

April 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't really say annoying since I like difficult battles. They feel more realistic. I think the hardest battles were probably Misty and Sabrina.

If we're going by which battle that I found boring/worth skipping, I'd probably choose Lt. Surge or Koga. I had Sandslash so I was pretty safe.

April 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Misty, but only due to the fear factor her Water-types brought to my poor Charmander.

Eventually, she turned to be only all bark and no bite as my Level 41 Charizard wiped her off. xD

April 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Without grinding, Koga is probably the biggest troll of them all. He was still easily defeated by my Vaporeon though... But yeah, Koga is most annoying.
Before challenging Misty... Well I can just take Bulbasaur as a starter/find a Pikachu/go, bypass the Cerulean city for an Oddish.

April 21st, 2011, 8:29 PM
Koga is overleveled... he's got a freaking level 43 Weezing on his team, and the previous Gym Leader's Pokemon didn't even break 30 levelwise.

But yeah, he drives me insane.

April 21st, 2011, 8:49 PM
Surge.... because it's annoying searching for the damn button :P

April 22nd, 2011, 1:02 AM
Brock. But that's only because in Yellow, starting with Pikachu and trying to beat his stupid pokemon was a pain.

April 22nd, 2011, 2:04 AM
I would vote two of them..... Surge and Brock.
4 Words - "Pain in the Ass"

- Apex -

May 2nd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Misty because I chose a Charmander. lol
I remember trying like 50 times to beet her, and finally succeeded.

Shining Raichu
May 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
It's always the final two Gyms that are really easy in all of the games...

Misty was the bane of my existence, because I love choosing Charmander.

May 3rd, 2011, 3:47 AM
It's always the final two Gyms that are really easy in all of the games...

Misty was the bane of my existence, because I love choosing Charmander.

Then again, you could get a Pikachu to oliberate...

May 3rd, 2011, 4:28 PM
Misty was a pain since my starter was Charmander. Other than her, I didn't really have any trouble getting thru the gyms.

May 3rd, 2011, 8:45 PM
Brock, undoubtably the man had an Onix and I had a Charmander there was no getting by none at all

May 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Lt. Surge. It's just he was always in the way before Erika where you could get a heap of new pokemon and constantly annoyed me with his gym puzzle.

May 5th, 2011, 9:51 PM
MOST DEFINITELY GIO! Though all of us were fairly leveled up by the time we had to face him, his team was probably the most rounded. Not only consisting of ground type moves he could counter water easily.

May 6th, 2011, 3:48 AM
Misty, because her Starmie outsped most of what I had.

mondays suck
May 6th, 2011, 3:56 AM
Did I say only Koga and Misty are troublesome in FRLG when I posted earlier? Well, I failed to consider that the completely asinine trash can "puzzle" made a return in these games, making Surge the most difficult, time-wasting, despicable, annoying and frustrating anger magnet in the entire series, tied with his other appearances other than in GSC.

May 6th, 2011, 3:57 AM
I had absolutely no problems with any of the gym leaders themselves. It was more of how the gym was structured, Surge's bins, Sabrina's teleporting. Other than that, my team was well-balanced and could pretty much stomp the gyms.

May 6th, 2011, 6:30 PM
Koga and Lt.Surge. Not because of their pokemon, but because of the puzzle and the invisible walls... D:

May 13th, 2011, 5:40 PM
For me it was Misty and her dreaded Starmie so early in the game lol :) Picking Charmander didn't aid me much lol.

At this moment in time I've faced them all bar Giovanni, but I have a feeling he won't give me too much trouble :P

May 14th, 2011, 7:31 PM
Idk why but i hated Lt. Surge

Metal Electric
May 15th, 2011, 2:10 AM
Back in the old days Lt. Surge was really annoying, because I never had a ground type Pokémon at that moment in the game. >__>

May 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Honestly? Misty. Her Starmie is a hard hitter, and even against a Wartortle and Ivysaur it can do a nice chucnk of damage to you with Water Pulse. Not only that, but it confuses too.

I swept all the other gym leaders off their feet like Jerry pulls the rug out from under Tom in the ol' cat and mouse toons.

May 28th, 2011, 3:24 AM
The harder gym leader was Brock because I had charmander as my starter

May 28th, 2011, 4:45 AM
In battle, none, but Lt. Surge's puzzle was stupid.

May 31st, 2011, 5:07 PM
Misty. That ginger's Starmie acted like Godzilla or something, cause I always chose Charmander. Aside from that, all other gyms were a joke.

June 2nd, 2011, 1:10 PM
Misty and the dreaded Starmie with Water Pulse...

Porygon Z
June 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Misty. I just hate her. (blabla 25ch)

Richard Nixon
June 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Giovanni annoyed me alot.

June 4th, 2011, 4:11 PM
None really, or at least in Gen 3 there are none, mainly because Charmeleon learns Metal Claw, allowing me to beat Brock quickly.

June 4th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Lt. Surge , Koga and Sabrina are all evil, as in thepuzzles. But other than that, Misty's Starmie is as hard as hell. Grinding my Bulbasaur to Ivysaur really early didn't help. Neither did my Pidgeotto. Well, that's probably why everyone runs Starmie nowadays.

in for nape
July 15th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Misty is just mean with her always-confusing water pulse and recover.

July 16th, 2011, 6:49 AM
I always have trouble with Koga unless I pick Charmander as my starter. I think poison type pokemon are already annoying enough as it is so I say Koga is the most annoying.

The Best there was
August 2nd, 2011, 12:13 AM
Has to be Koga. But we all no the game so well now it's just easy.

August 2nd, 2011, 12:31 AM
Misty's Starmie D:
Though Brock was also quite hard if you chose Charmander. I found Misty worse though - for Brock your Charmander could still at least get Metal Claw.

August 2nd, 2011, 3:16 AM
I only pick Blaine b/c I love grass types!

September 16th, 2011, 5:42 PM
lol gotta hate koga. h8t lvln up pokes so with his 40-50's i had 28-36 pokes and a venasur. barely beat wheezing on my 27'th attempt with snorlax. Lol koga was even easyer then the elete for witch i took down in 2-5 times per person!!

September 17th, 2011, 7:20 AM
Screw you Blaine, with ur insanely high lvl fire Pokemon

October 1st, 2011, 8:44 AM
Misty. I chose Charmander; type disadvantage. Squirtle, even if I was overleveled, I could be 2HKO'ed. Bulbasaur, could be destroyed because of Psychic attacks. I HATED that Gym.

October 1st, 2011, 8:57 AM
Misty with her confusion and recovering... SO ANNOYING! Considering my team by this point is usually either Warturtle or Charmeleon with a Sandshrew, it's not ideal hehe...

October 1st, 2011, 6:47 PM
Misty was always the worst, with Koga not far behind. My last playthrough I remember thinking I would be okay using Bulbasaur to get through the Gym, but completely forgot that her Staryu & Starmie both had Recover, and Starmie was part Psychic-type. I was able to win, but the battle probably took 4x longer than it should have.

October 2nd, 2011, 3:01 PM
None of them.

FR/LG were way to easy.

amen amen.
Don't get me wrong though, I still found it enjoyable.

ben cousins
October 2nd, 2011, 4:40 PM
Brock if you chose charmander

October 4th, 2011, 3:28 AM
I used to have quite a bit of difficulty with Sabrina - I'm not sure why though, she wasn't that difficult. I guess when I was younger (and played FRLG) I didn't really care too much about type advantage - raw power was what mattered to me. Now that I'm a little bit older, and that much wiser, I guess I would teach my Blastoise bite/crunch. I never used to teach it that because I thought "I water Pokémon shouldn't learn a DARK TYPE move, that's reuniclus ridiculous".

Another Gym leader that I had a mild difficulty with was Lt. Surge. I hated Diglets, so I never used them against him. I had no ground types and I always lost (except for that one time I had Geodude) However, now I always teach something dig, so that I can overcome him.

October 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
misty's starmie + sabrinas teleport maze = complete madness lol.

October 5th, 2011, 4:59 PM
Getting to Sabrina (mind = blown) and then I get a bit overwhelmed from her Alakazam, I guess shes the most annoying...

October 13th, 2011, 7:47 AM
I think I've battled them too much to actually say "who was the most annoying". I've gotten used to the different kinds of pokemon they have, well except Lt. Surge. One thing that I've learned over the years is always carry a Paralyze Heal. Yep, that about sums it up. Lt. Surge wins my vote xDD

October 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM
It was a toss up between Koga and Sabrina, 'cause I rarely have good Pokémon to combat their types well. I went with Koga in the end, 'cause Poison-types are just annoying in general.

KoolKat vs. Lucas
October 15th, 2011, 4:34 PM
I guess Giovanni but only because I only had a Level 12 Oddish and a Level 65 Pidgeotto. For some reason, ground types kill me.

October 15th, 2011, 6:07 PM
MISTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had Charmander that's why so it took me a lot of TIMES TO BEAT HER!! Overal their all easy

October 18th, 2011, 9:15 AM
Multiple, Brock is the most annoying in Yellow since you can't really beat him with Pikachu. Lt. Surge is annoying because of his GYM which is like a hell to go through, but Koga is really the most annoying with his Venomoth and his gym is also annoying.

November 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
I had a hard time battling Sabrina, so does it counts with the question? :'p .. Although when I chose Charmander I kind of had a hard time battling Brock too, so ..

November 15th, 2011, 5:14 AM
For me it was blaine. His Arcanine's Fire Blast really hurt my mobotype Bug Team. Had to rebattle him quite a few times.

Okay. Not a few times. I battled him six times with my Pokemon six to ten levesl above him. Really disgusting. urgh. :\

November 15th, 2011, 3:33 PM
LT.Surge and his Raichu. He would always use Thunder Wave to paralyze me. Then spams a whole bunch of Double Teams and then he Shock Waves me to death and I can't evade it. -_-

November 16th, 2011, 7:31 AM
I remember that Sabrina gave me some difficulties, but not a lot.
Actually, FR/LG gym leaders aren't really tough, I had more problems with them in RBY :pink_nod:

Soul Saint
November 16th, 2011, 8:52 AM
After thinking about it, I kinda steam-rolled through the majority of the gym's. The only one that was really bothersome was Surge. Until my Graveller used magnitude in the first round...also, you can pretty much find a Dugtrio in the nearby cave, and just use dig once or twice.

None of the gym's have ever truly been an issue for me. Used to have a hard time with the 8th gym in Crystal when I was little and that game first came out.

November 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I recently re-played LG and only had trouble with 1 gym. My team was Charmeleon, Clefairy and Sandshrew against Misty and that was a very hard battle! That Starmie really managed to take it out of me. However after lil' grinding, Misty went down without TOO much trouble... Although none of the gym leaders are THAT hard, she's certainly hardest at that point in the game..

November 17th, 2011, 3:44 PM
That's easy, Koga. I usually have a counter for most gym leaders, but usually don't use psychic Pokemon, and the only other counter I can think of is Magnemite, but you need surf to get it, so yeah. His Pokemon are also pretty high leveled (I think it's highest is 43), and they know moves like Toxic and... Minimize... Dear god... But anyway, there are obviously other hard ones like Brock and Misty, but they're just a pain because you probably don't have a lot of Pokemon, and they know pretty good moves, but Koga's difficulty actually comes from legit challenge, and he's always been the toughest for me.

Ephemeral Euphoria
November 17th, 2011, 3:50 PM
Koga for me without a doubt, had to grind my team up to around level 35 a piece when they were around level 20 by the time I beat Erika but thank sweet heavenly god that I had Mr. Mime on my Leaf Green team otherwise Koga's Weezing would have given me hell again.

Nerdy Mojo
November 23rd, 2011, 5:14 PM
im suprised koga has given so many of you a problem (i guess my mmo/harder rpg training,which defaults me to level grinding before any and every boss,helped me...that combined with charizard made koga cannon fodder) but misty gave me the most trouble since i had a charmeleon (once again i level grind ALOT) (also it wasnt that much trouble just the only one i had to take seriously). that was mostly during r/b/y cause i was just a lil kid then but in fr/lg it was a minor frustration.

November 24th, 2011, 6:55 AM
I'd have to say Misty as well. Her starmie was overpowered and always gave my Wartortle a tough time.

November 27th, 2011, 3:35 PM
Lt. Surge always bothered me because he's just so darn arrogant and thinks that his raichu will take everything down!

December 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Seeing as the question is most annoying I'm gonna have to day Koga. Toxic combined with minimize is a very annoying strategy and pulls it off well. The longer the battle goes for the harder it is to finish.
Surge is also annoying with his over powered Raichu.

December 19th, 2011, 6:35 PM
Koga was driving me crazy, because his Muk would increase his evasiveness until I could not even land a hit, then he`d poison me. I only beat him by using a Lapras with Perish Song.

December 19th, 2011, 7:37 PM
Koga and Sabrina are probably the worst for me... but only because their gyms are so obnoxious. As far as pokemon go, Misty's Starmie makes me want to scream and pull my hair out. xD

December 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM
The gym leaders on these games, in my opinion, were a cakewalk. I've had zero problems with them. I chose Squirtle as my starter, and once he evolved, he Mega Punched the path through Cerulean's Gym. Afterwards, I fished for a Poliwhirl north of Vermillion and evolved it to a Poliwrath. From them on the rest of the game was a mere plow-fest for me :).

December 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Sabrina, mainly because her gym was so stupid. :3

Not to mention I always want to train one of the Hitmons, but it's a Psychic gym.

December 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Misty was always the hardest for me unless I started with Bulbasaur. Otherwise, I really had to grind to get to a high enough level to win.

December 24th, 2011, 2:20 PM
I like all of them but on a level of difficulty I'd say Sabrina or Misty.