View Full Version : BOO!

Miss Doronjo
March 23rd, 2011, 4:18 PM
I was kind of wanting to bring up this topic, because I myself am a fan of ghost pokemon myself, and I wanted to see what others thought. :3 Any who, What's your favorite ghost pokemon? There's another question I wondered too: Do you think ghost pokemon are real ghosts, or just living things with ghost like characteristics? Like for instance, do you believe that ghost pokemon resemble the "souls and spirits" of people or pokemon, or just pokemon possessing ghost-like characteristics?

For my case, my favourite ghost pokemon would have to be Froslass, because its a really great ghost pokemon; its art is pretty nice, resembling a Japanese kimono feel, and plus, I've read in bulbapedia, Froslass has the ability to freeze foes with her -58 degrees Fahrenheit breath and create illusions to manipulate both her prey and foes as evidenced in the anime. As for if I think ghost pokemon are real ghosts or not, I probably wouldn't say so, because do you remember in Lavender Town, where you encountered the ghost of the mother Marowak? That was indeed a genuine ghost. If you’ll recall, it kept its true form and didn’t become a known Ghost Pokemon. This is what leads me to believe that Ghost Pokemon are a species rather than the souls of the departed monsters. Some ghost pokemon, like spritomb and froslass, perhaps they are spirits; bulbapedia says that Froslass is most likely based on Yuki-onna, a female ice-spirit of Japanese folklore, and Spiritomb are said to carry over 100 souls that did bad deeds a long time ago.

March 23rd, 2011, 6:55 PM
As for my favorite ghost-type, that honor would probably go to Sableye, Chandelure, or Haunter (one of the few NFE pokemon I qualify as better than its evolved form XD). All three of them mainly for their designs, but I have to admit that the Dark-typing and Fire-typing on Sableye and Chandelure do make them all the more appealing. :D

As for their label as "ghost-types" goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese name for the type, while roughly translated as "ghost", actually has a meaning closer to "spirit" or "soul", seeing as how most ghost-types are supposedly living, breathing beings (that even hatch from eggs as newborns) that just happen to have abilities derived from a spiritual realm and to warp in and out of timespace. :P

March 24th, 2011, 7:04 PM
What's your favorite ghost pokemon?
Gengar, I don't care that it is first generation, Gengar is Top 5 or 10 favorite poke period.

Do you think ghost pokemon are real ghosts, or just living things with ghost like characteristics?
I lean more to the side of they have ghost like characteristics. They can breed, which means they are living things. If the were dead then for me they would be genderless, unbreedable pokemon. A good deal of Ghosts have their origins steeped in something other the ghastly fiends or what a prototypical ghost would be.

Shuppet - A Puppet
Banette - A Doll
Mismagius - A witch
Dusclops/Dusknoir - Cyclops
Cofagrigus - A Mummy, or storage device for said mummy
Drifloon/Drifblim - A balloon and blimp
Litwick/Lampert, Candelure - Candle, Lamp, Chandelier
Shedninja - A Bug
Rotom - A video game character called Pulse Man. And the several forms that are house appliances.
Frillish/Jellicent - Jellyfish
Golett/Golurk - Golems

March 24th, 2011, 7:20 PM
GHOST TYPE! Ehh, my favorite ghost type is Yamask/Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus is some kind of real ghost, a cannibal even. Its dex entry says that it eats humans that comes near them, but at the same time it also enjoys eating bars of gold. But ghosts are still living beings, they can breed, can they?

March 25th, 2011, 1:42 AM
My favorite ghosts are Cofagrigus,Gengar,Rotom,Lampent,Bannete,Mismagius and Dusknoir. They are really cool! I am not sure if they are really ghosts or not.

March 25th, 2011, 5:12 AM

I remembered the first season of the anime said that they aren't real ghosts, but just gaseous Pokemon that looked like ghosts.

They gave the same reason as to why Gastly wasn't afraid of the cross