View Full Version : NBC Comedy

Mr Cat Dog
March 25th, 2011, 3:05 PM
For my money, the best television comedy is currently airing on NBC. Not to sound like a corporate shill straight in from Comcast, the line-up of Community, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, The Office (and, to a lesser extent, Perfect Couples and *ugh* Outsourced) is one of the finest line-ups of comedy in recent years.

What does everyone think about the current line-up? Any particular favourites amongst the group? Do you actively despise all of them and long for the days of multi-camera sitcom and incessant studio audience laughter? If you have longer memories, what about the previous occupants of the Thursday night entitled 'Must See TV' (your Friends, your Frasiers, even your Cheers if your memory can go that far back/you have access to it in syndication)?

For me, the finest comedy - nay, show - on television is Community. It has the ability to combine insane amounts of pop culture references (and in an organic way unlike some shows *coughFamilyGuycough*) while still retaining a level of sweetness inherent at its core without becoming overly sentimental. Everyone should kinda watch it right now, especially if you have a Nielsen box!

March 25th, 2011, 5:59 PM
i like all those shows, a lot more in the past but they're still pretty funny right now. i never really got into community because the concept of someone in community college isn't that interesting to me.

i'm more of a jon stewart/colbert person but nbc comedy thursdays are good

April 28th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I'm glad that I was able to catch this thread before the 1-month rule went into effect. NBC was the king of sitcoms in that early 80's to late 90s with shows like The Cosby Show, Cheers, A Different World, Wings, Fraiser, Friends, Seinfeld, Will & Grace, and Mad About You. To me this was a great time in TV history for sitcoms, and the minute that Seinfeld went off the air it started to go downhill. When Friends left the air, that was the final nail in the coffin for NBC and their sitcoms.

There was a 10 year span there, from 1998 to 2008 where NBC put on bad show after bad show, and it seemed like it wasn't going to end. To name some of the crap that they were putting on the air: Cursed, Inside Shwartz, Good Morning Miami, Leap of Faith, Coupling (The US Version), Jesse, Andy Barker PI, Scrubs (The Last Season), Will and Grace (The Last Season).

When 2008 hit we got a great lineup that would keep NBC in a great place, sitcom wise. Parks & Rec and Kath & Kim hit the scene, with Kath & Kim not making the cut (a highly underrated show IMO). The Office and 30 Rock already had reputable reputations at this point and were keeping Thursday nights going strong. Park & Rec was a little bit of The Office style comedy that every knew, but threw in SNL-alum Amy Poehler to bring the show to the next level. 2009 saw the introduction of Community which to me was the final thing NBC needed to bring them back to their former Must See TV glory.

This year saw the addition of Perfect Couples (which I was very sad to see canceled), Outsourced (which need to be canceled immediately), and The Paul Reiser Show (which I don't even know how this piece of crap got greenlit). Perfect Couples was a great addition to the line up, and should have been kept in that second position after Community.

What needs to be done to perfect the line-up:
-Finish The Office: Steve is leaving and it just needs to be done.
-Bring back Perfect Couples to round out the two hours of comedy between 7 and 9.
-Forget this 3 hours comedy thing, and bring back a 1 hour drama for the 9pm slot.

In its heyday, Must See TV always had a great drama after its 2 hour sitcom block. In the 80's it was LA Law and in the 90's it was ER. NBC needs another long lasting drama like this to finish off this proven formula that they created.

Anyway...that's my two cents.