PDA

View Full Version : Best japanese film, movie?

theonlydevice
March 27th, 2011, 03:34 AM
My favorite Japanese movie is also my favorite movie of all time. That would be Spirited Away . It is anime, so I'm not sure if that's your cup of tea. However, I just saw Rashomon last week. It is an older film by famed director Akira Kurosawa. I was blown away-it's one of the better films I've seen lately. That might be more your taste-it's definitely artistic.
What is your favorite or best movie ?

hiinotama
March 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
upon seeing this thread, i thought to myself:
''i wonder if its only for live-action movies? cause then Spirited Away wouldn't count..''
glad you agree with me, though XD;

apart from that, i've to say i liked Paprika alot too. And well, Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea..
.... no, i don't watch a lot of Japanese live-action movies.

Weeaboo Name
March 27th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Ah, this thread we can include anime movies, ok.

Let's see;

Battle Royale
Audition
Lady Snowblood

and anime
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Movie: Lagann-hen
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shou****su
Spirited Away
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Grave of the Fireflies
5 Centimeters per Second

Japan has a lot of my favourite cult films as well but i listed them in a similar thread the other day.

Arma
March 27th, 2011, 09:11 AM
The only anime movie I've seen is spirited away, and it's really good. Live-action movies I've seen include Battle Royale 2 and various horror movies (like the grudge, dark water and such).

My favorite is spirited away, followed by Battle Royale 2.

Digimon Kaiser
March 27th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Digital Monster X-Evolution.

Amazing effects, and very dark storyline for Digimon standards. Even though Leomon dies during the intro, it's a gret CG movie.

Mr Cat Dog
March 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Spirited Away is probably my favourite J-film too, although it's closely followed by Tokyo Story, which I really need to watch again to see if it holds up. (Seen Spirited Away waaaaaaaaaaaay too many times: I know it's damn good!)

Graceful
March 28th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I have more anime films than live action films, as I've only got into live action films recently. But my favourite Japanese anime movie has to be Suzumiya Haruhi no Shou****su (The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya). But my live action Japanese Film has to be 10 Promises to my Dog.

momoa
March 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I loved Spirited Away, but for some reason I loved Kurosawa's Castle in the Sky a lot more. There's just something about that movie that makes me want to watch it over and over.

Rainy Day
April 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
In Order:

The Seven Samurai
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
5 Centimeters per Second
Ran
Spirited Away
The Place Promised In Our Early Days
Metropolis

Blender
April 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Tokyo Gore Police is insanely awesome if you're into sadistic and cruel entertainment and alternate futures.