PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with people who have a problem with you liking Pokémon?

SquirtleGirl
March 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I saw the "too old?" thread and decided this might be a nice kind of spin-off thread.

How do you deal with people who tease or judge you cruelly because you like Pokémon?

I think next time someone challenges me about it, I'll say "Well if Pokémon is such a bad thing, I guess there must have been some error as it's become the second most popular gaming franchise, selling 193 million copies and being more popular than Zelda, The Sims, Final Fantasy and GTA":

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/259315_the-best-selling-video-game-franchises [This may be wrong, but it's been ranked second on several different websites from what I can see.]

Alli
March 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM
moving to pokemon general since this can cover games anime tcg the whole brigade etc

and ummmmm people can just spheal with it idc what they think -hair flip-

Zayin
March 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I laugh, and say "whatever, I don't care, I'm having fun".

Timbjerr
March 27th, 2011, 08:55 AM
"Your opinion has been duly noted and will be brought up for consideration at the next city meeting...right after we discuss abandoning individualism and adopting a purely conformist government regime."

...or something thereabouts. :/

Spartakiss
March 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
People who i call my friends dont really care because its not like all i talk about is pokemon and i have other interests & for people i dont class as my friends they can say what they want they dont really phase me.

WriteThemWrong
March 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
a lot of people think i'm playing around when i tell them i like pokemon. i don't think you can seriously tease or judge someone for liking pokemon, it would be like teasing someone for liking disney movies, as opposed to teasing someone for their political view. it's just not that serious, it's a playful quirk really.

JP
March 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I've never been teased or judged cruelly for liking Pokemon lol. I remember being around 10-11 and been told "oh man, aren't you getting too old for Pokemon?!" by my friends. Ever since then, I somehow "grew" out of it only to return to it when I'm even older haha. Anyone I know that knows I enjoy Pokemon is accepting of it and even join in on the fun sometimes lol.

Neiko Star
March 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Whenever one of my classmates tell me that Pokemon is too childish, I just go O.o and think of the breeding mechanics and how EVs and IVs work. Yeah. My classmates are nice, though, so it's fine. Otherwise, I just ignore them.

Meganium
March 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I've only been told once that I was too old to play Pokemon when I bought White. My response: "If you don't like my interest in Pokemon, keep your comments to yourself"... theeen I go ahead and tease them about their "childhood" favorite character as my type of revenge. >:)

Virgilia
March 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I used to be obsessed with Pokémon in primary school, but when I joined secondary school, everyone used to think Pokémon was for babies. They didn't really "tease" me, but they just used to try and act too cool for it all. Because of that reason, I grew quite upset with it all, and I abandoned Pokémon for a while. But, my mother told me it's good to be an individual, and I had been looking through all this Black and White news, and I thought "I don't care what other people may think, I'm me, and no one can tell me what to do!"

So, now, I don't really care what people think. If they insult me for my likes and dislikes, then I'll say "Well, you like -appropriate word here-, and I don't, but I don't complain to you, do I?"

Kirbychu
March 27th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Obviously you stop liking Pokemon because they said so. Everyone else's opinion is law.

Volcom22
March 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM
My friends constantly tease me for playing Pokemon.. So I just ignore it. If they don't like my interests then they shouldn't bother being friends with me or keep it to themselves.

Yurusumaji
March 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I would simply tell them that I really couldn't care less about what they think. Pokémon makes me happy and I refuse to be told that it shouldn't because of my age. I don't pick on others because of the things they like, so they can bite me.

Aquacorde
March 27th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I dunno, I brush it off. Or kick their asses if they're really annoying me.
It's not much of a problem where I am because most of my graduating class likes Pokemon. I actually got my DS borrowed once (in class) to make sure someone hadn't screwed my friend over in a trade.
So yeah. I've never actually gotten teased for it or anything.

Wasen
March 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Even if a very few around my area knows and like pokemon as I do so does I not cares what others thinks. It's the same thing as with YGO-cards (as I also duels with). I think it's fun and those who can't accept it is no friend of mine.

Hermione Granger
March 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM
This is what I would say: "Yeah, and you're obsessed with <insert something here>. Should I not like you too because of that?" After which I would ignore them if they continue to have problems with me liking Pokemon.

The Noob Hacker
March 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I remember once I was asked if I was getting to old for Pokemon. The intent of course being that they were saying I was too old for Pokemon. So I answered their question. I said no.

beca
March 27th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Pick at something they enjoy...my ex used to get annoyed because I play Neopets, yet he used to play really stupid games. :/

& I have a "friend" who constantly tells me I have no social life because I play Pokemon, and she says it quite maliciously x) I just tell her I don't give a **** and I'll play what I want...

cr4y
March 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I'll just say '' Mind your own business, this makes me happy! ''. Simple as that.

pokewalker
March 28th, 2011, 01:49 AM
They don't even know I play it lol.

tjb90
March 28th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I don't really care if they have a problem with it. So I would say whatever, because I am having fun and that is the most important thing.

PlatinumDude
March 28th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I retaliate, saying that Pokemon isn't just for kids, then walk away before a fight starts.

ShinyMeowth
March 28th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I am known to have a really short temper, so whenever someone bugs me about Pokemon, they end up getting hurt.

Hibaru
March 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I'll say,"I have my own reason on loving it. And you have nothing to do with it. We have the rights to love anything what we wanted to love. Understand b***h?". That's what I'll say to them. But its true that people get this problems a lot. But who cares huh.

Miss Doronjo
March 28th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Well like said above, people have their own opinions, so I respect that. Its just, they would have to respect that I love pokemon too. But you know what -- if they still have a problem, I'd say, "well its fun and gangster to me!" Works everytime. <3

vaporeon7
March 28th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I usually just ignore them. My friends tend to use really bad puns which gets on my nerves. And I find some of the other people's patronising quite funny. Then again a lot of people at my school are starting to play Pokemon again...

Donimusic
March 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
probably not the best move to drop facts like "its the best selling game evarrr" just tell em to go funk themselves man, who cares what ppl think about what you do

Pokemon Master Derrville
March 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Ive never had anyone make fun of me for it. I know a guy whos been in the navy for 3 years and he still plays Pokemon.

jynx
March 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Considering that there are 40 year-olds that still like Disney or Hello Kitty,
I don't think "too old for Pokemon" exists.

King Gumball
March 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Urgh I feel awkward watching like middle aged people play pokemon... weird imo x;

I just don't tell anyone :P but there is a pokemon phase running through my year group right now, so i feel more relaxed.

Daikenki
March 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I've had one of the male men in walmart give me a funny look when I asked him to get Pokemon White out of the locked window/case thing, but to be honest, I didn't mind it. And then he tried to talk me into getting Black, but I think he was hinting at some sort of racist thing, which I played off of by telling him I wanted white because I liked the exclusives more in that game.

But yeah that was the only case of something sort of similar to this thread. When I talk about pokemon to my family, they don't really listen to me and go about their own business. Of course my brother makes fun of me, but what kind of reaction do you expect from a 19 year old boy who thinks Call of Duty and Halo are the epitome of gaming in forever? So I can't take him seriously.

And if someone questioned me, then I would just shrug it off. Everyone is entitled to like what they want to like, and there will always be people who are so bored they have nothing better to do with their lives than nitpick everything you do. So what do you do? Shrug it off and keep on playing your pokemon games. Because retaliating is just stooping to their level of maturity, or should I say, lack there-of.

Sabrewulf238
March 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM
They don't know, honestly the closest I've ever come to talking to someone else about pokemon was when somebody made a joke about Sudowoodo. I never asked the guy about it because I wasn't sure if he's just an old fan or if he still plays it. I know he has a ds and has played Scribblenauts before though.

Occasionally as well I've heard people reflect on it, but I think that was probably in a "remember when we were kiddies" kind of way...and there was always a funny tone on it. So I didn't think they still took it seriously.

I haven't had anything malicious though, but that's because nobody has really known. If somebody asked if I liked Pokemon though I would say yes, since nobody has asked me though I don't bother. My best friend knows I like pokemon and it doesn't bother him.

If someone had a problem though, I'd probably just tell them that I have what I like and nobody has the right to tell me what I should or shouldn't like.

Cathar
March 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I can just stop playing, you have to run around with that face forever.

Seriously, though, I never had problems with that, not even now and I'm 23. A friend recently asked me to let him battle a wild Pokémon when we were on the train together.

I think some of my friends, all of whom played Red and Blue back in the day, would still like to play the new games, but don't have time, want to play other things or are just plain scared what others (girls in particular) would say to them if they knew they played Pokémon.

Personally, I couldn't care less. When I met my current girlfriend (we're together for four years now) I practically opened conversation by telling her that I'm into video gaming and miniature wargaming (which has an even worse reputation than Pokémon).

So yeah, everybody just deal wid it ^^

Misheard Whisper
March 28th, 2011, 11:50 PM
You see, the awesome thing about my high school (well, one of them) is that we have a Strategic Card Games Club in the Japanese classroom, and this club is on every breaktime. I just hang out there and play Pokemon, and because everybody else is geeky to some degree (strategic card games = Yu-Gi-Oh and MtG, btw) we get along fine. And it's not like I'm just mooching or anything - I do actually play card games too. Half the club have Black/White now, so we get some epic trading/battling/multi-battles/Entralinking etc done. It's amazing.

Outside of there, though, I really have little idea how to respond to people who are like that. I do get a lot of it, but I usually just tend to ignore them.

Hibaru
March 29th, 2011, 05:32 AM
On one second though, Pokemon is deserve for everyone (actually). But some said "Pokemon are for Kids. But that doesn't mean we teenagers and adults don't allowed to like it". It thought me so much...

Anyway, I forgot to mention. None of my classmates know that I like it actually. I never know what their respond be. Still,"We have the rights on loving everything we wanted to love".

Maelstromk
March 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Well it tends to be diffrent for the people I talk to, usually I don't bring it up and it's not an issue. When Call of Duty/Halo addicts call it to my attention, I just casually wave it off as "I'm a Nintendo fan" siteing I just play all the other old school games, usually one of them Mario/Zelda/Megaman is good enough in there eyes to stave them off.
I really have no trouble with it, I don't play it much in public, and when I do, I'm in a large group so it's hard to feel embaressed. (oh and I guess playing Halo helps too)

Mr Cat Dog
March 29th, 2011, 07:28 AM
It's not something I broadcast via a megaphone or sandwich board wherever I go, so no one really hassles me over it. Indeed, I never really start a conversation by going: 'Hey, my name's Mr Cat Dog and I like Pokemon!' (That would get a weird reaction if I said that in real life.) It comes up occasionally in discussion with friends, and most of them don't care enough about it to use it as a form of belittling (some of them think it's endearing, in a weird way). Of the few people who have 'confronted' me on it, normally I just ask them what they like that could be considered embarrassing, they tell me, and we move on with our lives. No biggie.

Blue
March 29th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Wow.. 193 Million O.o

But yeah, I don't really care what people think, It's for my enjoyment which is all that matters to me, I don't care if people mock me for playing Pokémon, it's a great game! :)

Tox
March 29th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Heh, most people in my school have a Pokémon obsession at the moment so I'm pretty safe. In the years where it was 'uncool' to like Pokémon, nobody used to bother me. Dunno why. I just have that affect on people.

TiTaN.JuStIn
March 29th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I have problems in school. I mean, people just laugh at me when I try to say at least Poke from Pokemon. I get teased and get ignored. My parents also think that pokemon is childish and I'm too old to play it. I just can't stand it. Well, nobody in my class know that 192 million people(still rising) like pokemon. They just play soccer, talk about jokes, brag. Some even play invizimals, which is old. Anyways, I'm in a society of people who aren't interested in pokemon.

Saryka
March 29th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I don't care what people think, honestly. I mean, I'm not gonna parade around talking about how I like Pokémon to people, but I'm not gonna keep it a secret either. I tweet about playing the games frequently and anyone who doesn't like it is completely free to unfollow me. No hard feelings, I don't mind.

All my friends are very well aware of the fact that I enjoy playing the Pokémon games. Hell, some of them like to play as well, and the ones who don't would never bash me for playing, so it's all good.

syotipoke
March 29th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I'd just move on and ignore them. NO ONE is too old to play Pokemon. But... if they start trolling about it, then you have the right to defend yourself.

Barker
March 29th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I'm 19 and I play. My roommates all play. There comes a time when you just don't care what people think about your hobbies.

Nintendoshs
March 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Only my best friend and my 2 friends who play Pokemon know I play it. None of the have asked if I get to old.

eightbit
March 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
If they're honestly up in arms over video game preference, I don't think I'm the one with the problem.

Wasen
March 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Too bad so is it kinda like if you're over 13 here so are you "suppose" to not like it anymore since it's to "childish". However, I don't care and even if I've told no one except those who already knows this so am I happy with how it is and how much I like pokemon.

Dark Piplup
March 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I try to ignore it. They can have their own opinion and I respect it. But, they don't have to tease me about it.

Dillon_68
March 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Me and one of my best friends play Pokemon. Our graduating class is small (7, charter school) and though I don't like to discuss Pokemon at school, my friend was on Serebii and my 1st cousin, a girl who happens to also be in our class, saw it and said in disbelief "You still play Pokemon". And my friend with his big mouth said "Dillon plays it too, he just bought the new White version". I was thinking to myself "You IDIOT". But I calmly said, "Pokemon is the ish, its still good". The male members of the class didn't say a word, it wasn't a big deal. The females tried to say we were too old. I retaliated by saying "At least I'm not dating someone old enough to have grandchildren." (Both girls are dating men 8-12 years older than them in high school. U JUS GOT SERVED. lol.

Ookami1
March 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Lots of my friends like Pokemon too, but the ones that don't are usually pretty cool with it. The ones who can't respect what I like I don't see as worthy of being a friend.

Ice Car
March 30th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I give them the response:

"Glad to know. Kindly **** off and don't show your ugly face to me again."

WildEagle
March 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I find them very stupid really. So what if they think I'm too old for Pokemon? Or if you reach a certain limit you automatically can't play it anymore? What are they gonna do? They can't do anything, they only pick on people who they think are "childish" or "nerds" to boost up ego or make them self bigger.

Just a week ago a bunch gr. 9 told me and my friends that we were too old to be playing Pokemon (were in gr.11) and that I should be playing Cod, GTA and those other stuff, so I told them
"Hmmm, Why are you wearing that kinda clothes? Is it because follows what everyone is wearing? Why are you wearing that shoes? Because people have them and you wanted to fit in? Just because people think were to old doesn't mean we can't play it. We have our own lives, why should you people dictate someone else's life? No one told you guys to buy those kinda clothes, you bought because you wanted to fit in with everybody else. Stop telling people what to do, cause what if someone starts telling you what to do? Would you like it?"

And they just left like a cheetah lol. So what if we like pokemon? Its our lives, we only get to live it once, live your life to the fullest and don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want.

Cartz Ketchum
March 31st, 2011, 03:23 AM
My friends know I like pokemon, but why is playing or watching pokemon different from any other game or cartoon show. Tbh, if anyone starts to make fun or anything I just dont answer then because its my buisness.

Mr Mime
April 1st, 2011, 07:05 AM
I don't see why people have problems with people liking what they like, Pokemon is innocent. Opinions are opinions, and thats the bottom line.

Drew
April 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM
Pokemon being 'lame' seems to be less-so lately, since HG/SS, and B&W have up'd the franchise a bit again. More people are picking it back up, and not insulting it as much. Though, if someone did make fun of me for it, I just shrug it off, turn it into a joke, and change the subject. I haven't been made fun of for liking Pokemon since I was in grade school, so. Once or twice, in college people gave me odd looks, but then we kept talking, and.. it's just whatever. xD It's their opinion, and if they don't like Pokemon that's their deal. If they judge me for it, then they're pretty immature, but that's just how it goes.

Smooky
April 2nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Whenever someone says Pokemon is a "kiddy game", I always think about the intense devotion Pokemon trainers have for their teams. Breeding, EVs, Natures, Movesets... and with so many combos and possibilities, Pokemon is actually a pretty complex RPG, especially when taken to a competitive level with other human players.

I know when I got my little cousin into it, he couldn't quite grasp everything, and he was 10 and a smart kid. I think it even frustrated him enough to stop playing. So... I guess Pokemon is definitely NOT an exclusive "kid game".

fenyx4
April 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I saw the "too old?" thread and decided this might be a nice kind of spin-off thread.

How do you deal with people who tease or judge you cruelly because you like Pokémon?

I think next time someone challenges me about it, I'll say "Well if Pokémon is such a bad thing, I guess there must have been some error as [S-HIGHLIGHT]it's become the second most popular gaming franchise, selling 193 million copies[/S-HIGHLIGHT] and being more popular than Zelda, The Sims, Final Fantasy and GTA":

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/259315_the-best-selling-video-game-franchises [This may be wrong, but it's been ranked second on several different websites from what I can see.]

AWESOME.

and ummmmm people can just spheal with it idc what they think -hair flip-

LOL Sydian. XD

"Your opinion has been duly noted and will be brought up for consideration at the next city meeting...right after we discuss abandoning individualism and adopting a purely conformist government regime."

:cer_laugh:

I find them very stupid really. So what if they think I'm too old for Pokemon? Or if you reach a certain limit you automatically can't play it anymore? What are they gonna do? They can't do anything, they only pick on people who they think are "childish" or "nerds" to boost up ego or make them self bigger.

Just a week ago a bunch gr. 9 told me and my friends that we were too old to be playing Pokemon (were in gr.11) and that I should be playing Cod, GTA and those other stuff, so I told them
"Hmmm, Why are you wearing that kinda clothes? Is it because follows what everyone is wearing? Why are you wearing that shoes? Because people have them and you wanted to fit in? Just because people think were to old doesn't mean we can't play it. We have our own lives, why should you people dictate someone else's life? No one told you guys to buy those kinda clothes, you bought because you wanted to fit in with everybody else. Stop telling people what to do, cause what if someone starts telling you what to do? Would you like it?"

And they just left like a cheetah lol. So what if we like pokemon? Its our lives, we only get to live it once, live your life to the fullest and don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want.

Nice retaliatory statement. ;)

As for me, it was more during high school where people really didn't say anything, but I felt there was a slight issue with Pokemon being "childish", visible through facial expressions and stuff. But I don't think it was that much of a problem back then...and collegiate settings seem to have less qualms then it.

Every time I think of such immature people, I think of the awesome music that Pokemon has brought us, wondering if they could compose something similar. Or for that matter, produce something that sells as quickly and as greatly as Pokemon does.

Other times, I guess I attempt ignoring such people... I mostly talk about Pokemon with friends who are into gaming/anime and PokeCommunity people, LOL...

And still other times, I'd like to say, "Are you able to spit flames out of your mouth, possess enough destructive power that maps could potentially be redrawn, or even do anything close to BA like nearly every Pokemon can? No? Then be quiet." Sometimes I envision awesome moments in the Pokemon anime like Pikachu using Volt Tackle, legendary Pokemon wreaking havoc, regular Trainers being BA, Charizard using a ferocious Flamethrower or a powerful Seismic Toss, etc. Giratina often pops up in my mind at such times. Honestly, anyone who thinks Giratina is childish needs to go get their brain thoroughly examined.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/c/c5/487Giratina-Altered.png/745px-487Giratina-Altered.png

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
April 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I actually feel like the older I get, the more socially acceptable pokémon becomes. Like my older brother was reminiscing with me about pokémon the other day and I was talking to a university friend about it as well, as easily as if we were talking about music or whatever :)

jespoke
April 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Having my Pokemon gaming mentioned in a negative way is daily life for me. :(
I always think when they say it: "THEY say something like that!? 0.o They dont do much else than playing FIFA when they get home!" (Really, those guys can stay awake all night playing FIFA when they are togeter, and they tell it in the classroom with no negative commentary)

.EJ
April 6th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I know plenty of people that play it and plenty of people that don't

Only a few times have I ever been confronted about being too old to be playing pokemon but I turned it into a joke. That's just how I am I guess...pretty chill, bro~

Ash
April 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
To be honest the only person who really bothers telling me that I'm 'too old' for Pokemon (or whatever the case is) is my Mom. but for the most part, I ignore her. That, or I use the fact that there are plenty of people at my college who also play the Pokemon games, and even the Pokemon Card game as well. In the past though, I tend to ignore them regardless. I enjoy what I enjoy. What people think about it is not my problem. They can keep their opinions to themselves.

RoseBlade
April 6th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Sums it up quite nicely.

Those of us that are old enough to remember playing the very first Pokemon games are able to say. "Aren't you to old to play Pokemon?" "Child I have been playing Pokemon since before you where born." Or if someone my own age says it. "Have you completely lost touch with your childhood? What a sad person you are."

Because if you cannot remember the joys of childhood then you cannot fully enjoy the adult life that you now reside in.

teejermiester
April 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I've pretty much become an outcast because of it... But I look forward to someone yelling at me about it, because then I can yell right back at them as much as I want about them being conformist. Its fun, and a huge ego boost.

Xyrin
April 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I say "We're 12. Have some fun." Haha I get made fun for different reasons. When we were going into 5th grade some kid said "Hey... Tanner, if you still like Pokemon you get beat up! You better stop liking it."

I used to get made fun of by my friends for playing Pokemon, I was like 'Hey, I don't play Saphire anymore want it? I have Emerald." I gave it to him and now they like it. lol

EDIT: I also play games like CoD and Halo. Cod DOES have the top two spot in the most copies sold on release week title. MW2 and Blops. But whenever Pokemon games spark my interest, my xBox can crap himself. Since Black came out I've played my XBoc like 10 hours? And over 50 on Black, and even more doing stuff that relates to Pokemon.

Hoohking
April 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM
A well trained body and a pretty face usually keeps most people from trying to smirk at me, though when friends gimme this face: O.o I usually just shrug it off. Competitive battling and all it's concepts still give this veteran WoW player a headache, what would these newbies know about it? lol :P

shengar
April 6th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Glad I'm in a society that never consider a thing is too old for somebody. There is my friend who play pokemon that usually work out in a fitness center. But I'm still have opinion about this.
Is someone really must abandon their profound childhood memories just become an adult? Of course not, since it is much if you preserve and keep it until you can share some of it to to our children.
Damn, if only I can show a picture of magmar being split into pieces by Cloyster to anybody that says pokemon is childish.

danno 507
April 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Ignore! whats it to them wether i like pokemon or not...secretly they do too they're just too "cool" to admit it.
I just say "Well think wat ya want" and walk away all epicaly like :P

Fire Walker
April 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I usually would say something like, "we get joy out of playing with animals on small, handheld devices. You get joy out of killing fellow humans on your big XBox 360s. We play, you murder." Or something like that. Then I fly them a bird.