PDA

View Full Version : Disney!

moments.
March 31st, 2011, 03:50 PM
So I was a little surprised to see there wasn't already a Disney discussion thread, so I thought I'd get it started!

Feel free to talk about whatever! Here are some suggestions though; your favourite Disney movies are, your favourite soundtracks to a Disney film, favourite characters, whether you like the 'Disney Vault' system of releasing the films, if you have seen any Disney performances at a theatre or whatever else!

Meganium
March 31st, 2011, 04:11 PM
I am in love with the movie Mulan, and still am today.

But anyways, yes, I used to own all of the Disney movies (like the Little Mermaid, Lion King, and Pinnochio). Believe it or not I cry at the ending of all those movies. xD Everytime I watch those Disney movies, it literally brings out the child in me.

Saltare.
March 31st, 2011, 04:45 PM
I LOVE the old Disney. The new Disney can go die.

Funny, I recently bought some Disney songs from a while ago. Like songs by T Squad, Aly and A.J., and Jump5...

But, Disney is going downhill now. I love watching the good old Disney movies though. Reminds me why I love being a 90's kid :)

moments.
March 31st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I actually pulled out the VCR not too long ago to watch all the classics again on VHS. :P
That said, I am in fact trying to form some sort of collection of Disney movies on DVD/Blur Ray and have a fair few right now!

Can't wait for Lion King to be released from the vault later this year. Lion King is my favourite movie / soundtrack / musical. So yeah, excitement.

Mr Cat Dog
April 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
I think people tend to forget how hit-and-miss Disney are at making films, both nowadays and throughout history. The company has had long periods of success (from The Little Mermaid --> Tarzan) as well as relative failures (the films produced under wartime conditions in the '40s, as well as some of the ones made straight after Walt's death). Yet, whenever most people are asked to name their favourite animated film, I'd assert that most people would pick a Disney film of some sort. It's just interesting how die-hard Disney fanboys - there's three words I didn't think I'd type together - tend to gloss over The Three Caballeros or Atlantis: The Lost Empire when going wild over Beauty and the Beast and proclaiming Disney the greatest film studio ever...

Sorry if that sounded too negative, but I have a conflicted relationship with Disney, as you've probably gathered now. To end on a more happy note: the film I remember most when thinking about Disney is their adaptation of Robin Hood, which my grandmother had an old VHS copy of and made my brother and I watch when we visited. I haven't seen it in years, and it's apparently one of the weaker entries (but hopefully not on the same level as Atlantis), but whenever I think of Disney, I think of a fox in tights, a hypnotic snake and a lion sucking his thumb. Nostalgia!

TRIFORCE89
April 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM
I think people tend to forget how hit-and-miss Disney are at making films, both nowadays and throughout history. The company has had long periods of success (from The Little Mermaid --> Tarzan) as well as relative failures (the films produced under wartime conditions in the '40s, as well as some of the ones made straight after Walt's death). Yet, whenever most people are asked to name their favourite animated film, I'd assert that most people would pick a Disney film of some sort. It's just interesting how die-hard Disney fanboys - there's three words I didn't think I'd type together - tend to gloss over The Three Caballeros or Atlantis: The Lost Empire when going wild over Beauty and the Beast and proclaiming Disney the greatest film studio ever...

Sorry if that sounded too negative, but I have a conflicted relationship with Disney, as you've probably gathered now. To end on a more happy note: the film I remember most when thinking about Disney is their adaptation of Robin Hood, which my grandmother had an old VHS copy of and made my brother and I watch when we visited. I haven't seen it in years, and it's apparently one of the weaker entries (but hopefully not on the same level as Atlantis), but whenever I think of Disney, I think of a fox in tights, a hypnotic snake and a lion sucking his thumb. Nostalgia!
I enjoyed Atlantis. Near the tail-end of the Eisner with more young-male oriented movies. I had an Atlantis themed birthday party that year.

Three Caballeros is a mashup. One of those packaged films from the 1940s. A collection of shorts. Like Fun and Fancy Free (there's a reference for you). Mind you, I wouldn't look at those like duds. They were made out of necessity. But José and Panchito are fun :D

Robin Hood I never really liked. But glad any time there's voice work from Sterling Holloway XD Only reason I can tolerate Alice in Wonderland.

Meganium
April 1st, 2011, 09:34 PM
I LOVE the old Disney. The new Disney can go die.

Funny, I recently bought some Disney songs from a while ago. Like songs by T Squad, Aly and A.J., and Jump5...

I looooved those artists when I was a huge fan of Radio Disney back then. I wish I could go back and listen to them again.

I would uhh... 80% agree with you on the first statement, though. While I do despise Hannah Montana, and Zack & Cody. I do like one show, though. That show is Shake it Up. I was impressed with the show in general.

PlatinumDude
April 1st, 2011, 11:17 PM
I liked the movies that Disney and Pixar made, like Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles.

I was into Radio Disney for a time, but that interest gradually faded away.

Mr Cat Dog
April 2nd, 2011, 01:43 AM
I enjoyed Atlantis. Near the tail-end of the Eisner with more young-male oriented movies. I had an Atlantis themed birthday party that year.

Three Caballeros is a mashup. One of those packaged films from the 1940s. A collection of shorts. Like Fun and Fancy Free (there's a reference for you). Mind you, I wouldn't look at those like duds. They were made out of necessity. But José and Panchito are fun :D

Robin Hood I never really liked. But glad any time there's voice work from Sterling Holloway XD Only reason I can tolerate Alice in Wonderland.Apologies, but you're honestly the first person I've met who's said they liked Atlantis. I can vividly remember coming out of the cinema really not liking it, along with my brother and friends whom we saw it with. Atlantis was also the beginning of the end for Eisner in a big way which, despite the achievements he made in the 90s, I'm not massively disappointed about.

The wartime conditions give Disney SOME leeway in the quality of the package films but, even considering this, they really don't hold up as anything more than propaganda aimed at the Latin audience, Meh... maybe other people's mileage varies with these, I just have no patience with them.

I really don't want to rewatch Robin Hood for fear that it's going to turn out to be crap. Wikipedia says it is one of the lesser entries in the canon, and no one outside of my immediate family seems to have nice things to say about it. Hmm...

As for Alice, as well as getting a notorious reputation in the UK upon theatrical release, it's the first film I can remember having nightmares over when I was 3. The death of Bambi's mother didn't make me cry, the weird alcohol-and-tobacco induced donkey shenanigans got no reaction out of me in Pinocchio, but when the Queen of Hearts calls for Alice's beheading, that's when I hid under the covers!

TRIFORCE89
April 2nd, 2011, 06:23 AM
Atlantis is watchable. Not saying it's a masterpiece. But, it was okay. Not a great Disney movie, but I still thought it was good. Atlantis and Emperor's New Grove were enjoyable movies from that "end-of-the-line" era for Eisner. They're okay. They're not Treasure Planet or Home on the Range.

Don't rewatch Robin Hood is you have fond memories of it XD It hasn't aged well.