PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, is it worth buying manga?

Owl
April 3rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Just as the title says, would you spend your money to buy manga, or would you read it online for free? For me, I would buy manga that I read over and over again.

>Feelings<
April 3rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
I know I shouldn't do this, and that buying is the right thing to do, but I love collecting a cleaner version of them scanned in my PC if I happen to love the said manga.
Besides, most of the manga I read have something or other in them that I wouldn't want lying in my room waiting to be read by someone else.

Since my PC is encrypted, I like storing everything there, including all my manga.
Moreover, I actually like it this way much more, and there are a lot of manga which doesn't have official translation, so there's not choice. But I love it like this anyways.

Weeaboo Name
April 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Same as anime, if you really like it, buy it.

Actually holding the volume in your hand is far superior to reading scans online or downloading.

donavannj
April 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
I vastly prefer reading from a book than from the internet, so it's worth it to buy volumes for me.

Shanghai Alice
April 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
It really depends.

If it's a series I like, or even mildly enjoy, I'll buy the physical copy.

Something like Karin only warranted an online read.

Still, I've spent over $250 in manga, so I believe I'm supporting the industry.

Not to mention, I've already marked down my next $50 for updating my Haruhi and Lucky Star collections.

And, to put it in perspective...
$10 for something that'll take me an hour or three to read (depending on how often I get to read it, and how interested I am)? Not bad.

$50 for something that contains about four episodes? HELL NO.

Anime is highway robbery. If you don't admit that, you're in denial.

Esper
April 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Reading something physical is more enjoyable, I feel. I like the little compact manga that they make in Japan. As soon as I saw those I thought: "Why can't all the translated manga be like this?" It made me feel like I was getting less than what I was paying for... so I stopped buying translated manga and only buy Japanese ones. (I'm not someone who'd just read online and no pay for anything.) It makes for good language practice even if it takes much longer to get through one book. If I really want to read something quickly I'd probably buy it in Japanese and find some scanlations.

Oryx
April 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I hate reading things online, but most of the time I just can't afford manga, so I get to it any way I can. But if I had the money, I would always buy the physical version, just because I love reading it in my hands. Plus, a page on the internet takes longer to load than it takes me to read so I get impatient.

Ryoutarou
April 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
I really like supporting the print medium, that coupled with the fact that I just don't like reading comics online makes it easy for me to buy manga. Though I don't buy too often because I already have most of what I want, I do like being able to have the series I really love on hand.

digi-kun
April 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
I enjoy reading out of books, so I go with that. My only thing is against those manga that go on forever, unless you REALLY enjoy those.

Shanghai Alice
April 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
^DOUBLE POSTING FAIL. HEY, EVERYBODY. DIGI HAS A DOUBLE-POSTING FAIL.

(User was banned for this post.)

Buts srsly. I hate long runners too. That's why I typically buy either completed series, or series that are just starting, so I can keep up with them.

Because buying (and reading) 20 volumes just to catch up is nuts.

PennyLayne
April 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
For the speed I read manga (usually around 40-50 minutes a volume), I find buying them out of the question unless they are for collection purposes. It's not like manga is cheap, infact in most of the shops in manchester it is grossly overpriced imo.

I don't read much manga, and when I do it It'll be online or using the app on my android.

Cherrim
April 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I believe the future of literature is not in printed form, but I don't really like reading comics on a screen. It hurts my eyes and none of my screens are really well-suited for reading comics or e-books.

Anyway, I don't read much manga now at all, but when I like a series I'll still buy the books. If something isn't interesting I won't read it at all but if it is, I try to buy it and worst case, I've got quite a collection of first-volumes of things I'll never move past. I think in the future though, if I get back into reading manga, I'll support the industry by buying (probably not renting) the digital copies and facilitating a move toward that style of distribution.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I buy rather than read online, but I tend to go for shorter series or ones that are just starting out. I've only read one online, and that was because it hasn't been published in my country. But yeah, I don't like reading books on computer screens.

EmeraldSerenade
April 5th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I only purchase manga that I REALLY like, and I mean REALLY like. And I don't like many to be honest.. Sure, its a lot better to have the actual book in your hands then reading online, but it costs money, which is something I don't always have.

Graceful
April 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I have to read manga online because I have no money :'(
But really, I find translated and online manga have better translations than the actual print of manga.
And then Tokyopop or whatever isn't released where I live >.>

notcrazy_iminsane
April 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I buy manga for multiple reasons:

1- I like the series.
2- It will be there for reference (Like if I get in an arguement about a character, forget what happens, or just need an idea for when writing)
3- I want to share a series with a friend

I mostly read a series online if it's not being published in America or it doesn't have an official English translation (Like Hitogatana. I have yet to find the books in English, only translated on Mangafox).

Plus, reading books on a computer just feels wrong to me.
Anime on the other hand... I download since DVDs are too expensive.

Thomas
April 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
If I enjoy the series I will buy it...all I own is Nartuo, DB, DBZ, FMA, and DNAngel....but I've read more online...the books are just so much nicer to read. :)

rennir
April 8th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Not really considering the fact that you can read everything online. Then again, I guess it's worth it for sentimental value.

Mahou Tsukai
April 25th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Buy it! I don't think digital manga is a substitute for paper manga. I prefer to 'hold something physical' in my hand than read it on a computer screen.

And if cost is a problem, get it from a 2nd hand bookstore!
If I want to see what a manga series is like, I'll just buy the 1st volume in the series. Then later decide whether to buy future volumes (of that series) or not. I did that with Bleach and found out that it was not of my liking.

Drew
April 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I don't read a ton of manga anymore, and those I do read are mostly series that are only out in Japan, so I end up having to read them online for lack of being able to any other way. :/

Though, when I really like a series, I will buy the manga themselves. I used to buy 'em on a whim, just to own a new manga, but that was back when I was in middle school, and highschool and read them often. Now days I have to really love a series to bother actually buying it, and I know that's bad of me. xD;

It's more of a "I could sit in my room for hours, and read manga, or I do other things that I would enjoy more / need to get done", so lack of time plays a part.

Tamaneko
April 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM
If the series is good, I'd buy the actual manga on paper, otherwise, I'd read them online.

jira-chan
April 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
If the series is good, and if I can afford (or someone can buy it for me) lol. When I buy manga, I usually try to collect them all, which can cost a LOT of money. -_-

If there is only one volume that I liked, then I'd probably buy the specific chapter. But mostly, I would just read it in mangafox, manga reader, and all the online manga there. It's free. xD

But in cases of Blackouts, I have mangas to read~ :]

Shiroi Alucard
May 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Same as anime, if you really like it, buy it.

Actually holding the volume in your hand is far superior to reading scans online or downloading.
Exactly how I feel about this. I love holding the manga in my hands, it just sucks there is never enough room though.

Nutella
May 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM
For the most part, I prefer reading it online or downloading it. I only buy the ones I REALLY like, or ones that I can't even find online. Purchasing usually is out of necessity rather than preference.

Osha_say_wott?!
May 5th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I've never read any manga online and I intend to keep it that way.^^ I enjoy holding a book physically in my hands than reading off a screen, anyways.

PlatinumDude
May 5th, 2011, 03:28 AM
IMO, manga is worth it if you want to look at another side of a particular anime, like Pokemon.

Shiny Gardevoir
May 15th, 2011, 05:53 AM
It depends on the manga. If it's one I badly like, and I have the money, then I'll buy it. Like TWGOK, I can just stare at it the whole day... If I have one...

I also buy if I see a familiar one I like which is on sale. Like Vampire Game. I saw them on sale... I had money... So, why not? ^_^

wonjoon0330
May 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I used to buy manga and spend hundreds of dollars on it, but I stopped buying it when I found out that I could read manga free from online.

Still, I do buy manga I really like such as Shugo Chara and ARIA.

As for anime, I use to spend thousands of dollars on DVD but stopped buying it when I found out that I could use YouTube to watch most of the anime I want for free.

Still, like the manga, I do buy anime I really like and I occasionally buy blu-ray copies of anime too so I can watch it on my HDTV! ☆(≧ω≦)

Audihertz
May 21st, 2011, 07:11 PM
I agree with you; I buy manga if I would read it over and over again.. which I tend to do. Sometimes I read manga solely online, then I end up loving it to death, so I go and buy the first volume or the volumes with my favourite parts in it so I can read them.. over and over and over...-

Satoshi Ookami
May 21st, 2011, 11:18 PM
I love buying manga, it's really something else to have it to just read it online :D
I do read manga online and have some manga in physical form so you can say a bit of both options =)
My biggest collection is 15 volumes of Tsubasa Chronicle =)

JinRazielGames
May 22nd, 2011, 05:20 AM
Its up to you.
I'm gonna complete Persona 3 and Persona 4 volumes.

blackmorale
May 23rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
I spent a lot of money on manga, but now I quite regret buying them, lol (minus Fullmetal Alchemist). I'm quite cautious about my manga and they end up sitting in my bookshelf, never to see the light again.

razzbat
May 30th, 2011, 05:39 AM
this. online reading just doesn't quite cut it, reading with a backlight is pretty lame, feels more comfortable to hold onto a physical copy and it just feels so good to open up a new volume.
i don't read online and will always buy the manga i want to read. luckily for me, i read the jap copies where each volume is about $4-5 new and $2-3 second hand, which usually is in mint condition. whenever i go to japan, i would usually buy around 50 volumes to last around a year. atm i think i've got around 200 volumes.

~Ryukaa
June 11th, 2011, 03:23 AM
With manga, I usually like buying 1 to 3 volumes of series I like. It's harder for me to buy manga, since there's no local bookstore, and we hardly go shopping. The most volumes I've bought from a series is 10 volumes from Shaman King. It's worth buying manga, definitely. It's nice to have the solid book in your hands, especially with series you like.

Ash
June 15th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I like buying manga for the series I like. What usually happens that I would read the manga online, and then if I enjoyed said manga I would start buying it so it would be much easier for me to reread it whenever I feel like it. Picking up random manga and checking them out is nice too, but there's always the case that you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would.

Tapioca
June 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
It's worth buying manga so you can sell manga. I have $1,000+ worth in manga on my book shelf just waiting for me to take pictures of them and get them all sold.

But I've read better manga online that isn't printed in America. So it's good for a collection hobby, but for stories, online stuff is better.

Alternative
June 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
In preference to myself, and the one manga book I've actually read all the way through, I think I prefer to actually read the manga through a book instead of reading it online. There's some something about reading manga, or anything for that matter from a book, instead of a screen. More excitement and thrill I suppose.

zoo3891
June 18th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I enjoy having a physical library of books in my room. I couldn't read anything online anyways, the idea of the rest of the internet being just a click or two away makes a huge distraction.

ii_Amby Bear_ii
June 18th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I read it online because mangas way too expensive compared to other books. Still, the library is always an option if there's one with a good collection closeby, and if I do get rich enough I DEFINITELY plan to buy all my favorite manga in physical form.

Demelza
June 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I do read a lot of manga online but i also have quite a few volumes of manga on my bookcase. I always try and buy the volumes of anything i read online if i can get it / have the money for it.

.Marion
June 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
IMO, if you really like that manga, then buy it in order to show your support for the author who made it. Its more of a moral thing to do, really!

LatiasSoulDew
June 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
For me, buying manga is worth when I really like the series and want to collect the series.

teddybeargun
July 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
If I like the manga i'll buy it. If no one buys the manga and just reads it online then the companies will just assume it's not a profitable business and drop it. And besides, it's way better reading it in a book with actual pages.

Before I start a series though I usually read the first couple of chapters online and then decide if I like it or not and if I do, i'll buy it, if I don't, I don't buy it.

Elster
July 19th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Me, I only buy manga that I love. It's pricy, and I only want to drop 10 bucks a book if I know I'll get a lot of reread value (Like my favorite, Fullmetal Alchemist!).

Corvus of the Black Night
July 23rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
I group manga and non-newspaper comics into the same barrel, and with both I say that I will only purchase one if I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll usually rent books/comics from the library before buying a title. This is why I have a grand total of about 3 comics/manga in my entire collection, one of which was from a... er, quite embarrassing time in my life (i.e. weeaboo moment).

I absolutely loathe reading manga online because the sites often don't shrink the pages to fit on smaller resolutions so I can't read the whole page at once >:(

Satoshi Ookami
July 23rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
I already told my opinion but I think the reason is this:
"Nothing beats the feeling of having manga in your hands" :D

JinRazielGames
July 24th, 2011, 03:07 AM
My classmate is totally obsessed with manga. It's worth it.
He owns MANGA: Messiah, Mutany, Cleanser, and etc.

Fuyu
July 24th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I buy manga because sometimes the scans on the internet are just from the magazine and not from the volumes released, which means the chapters have other pages added in. Also, there are some manga that get licensed and you can't read on the internet. So if I see it on the bookstore shelves and I enjoyed it, of course I buy it. Besides, as others have said, it is nice to be able to crack open a manga volume in your hands since you won't always have your computer nearby.

Safir-Hime
July 24th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I don't believe manga is really worth buying anymore. It is worth near to nothing when trying to be sold back and at least for me it lives on a shelf its entire life.
When I took a large amount of books to a bookstore I got about 25 cents each for all my manga. It was...saddening.

Cirrus
July 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM
It's more for collecting than for reading, IMO; I'd only consider the manga that I think are excellent in quality in regards to their size to be worth buying / keeping.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well since the mangas are online, I dont think so unless if you want to keep them and collect them.

:t354:TG

Apotheosis
July 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have only bought Dragonball (about 37 or so of the 42 books) and some One Piece mangas. It was a while ago when I actually cared about manga... until I found out that there was pokémon manga 8D

I've never really been a big fan of manga or anime at all, so if i watch anime, I do it online and if I read manga, I do it online too. I've thought about buying Pokémon Special just for emotional value... maybe I'll do it some day. when I'm brave enough to keep them on my bookshelf and tell people that I like pokémon