PDA

View Full Version : Dino's Fakemon

dinosaurodon
April 3rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Yo People of the Pokecommunity! In this here thread I will be posting my fakemon sprites and the occasional tileset.
I have been spriting for about 2 years now and have grown alot, and i still have even more to learn.
Lemme know what you think about muh sprites
comments and ideas gladly accepted
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4969/muhpokes2.png

Logiedan
April 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
I can see you revamped most of them, they all look great. I'm loving the new shading style..but i'm not too fond of the water starter's pose, you could try a more dynamic pose. And the arms look like they're in an awkward position.

Esper
April 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Fantastic job on the heads, especially the eyes. Like Logiedan said though, the pose and arms aren't as good on the water starter and, I think, the arms on the grass starter have a similar problem. They just hang there.

If I might also make a suggestion: the bluebird's eyes might stand out better if they were a different color from the body. I don't think there's enough contrast between them and the area around them.

bleedpark
April 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
wow these are very nice. i realy like the fire starter. very creative and original. i look forward t your work in the future.

Dorandragon
April 4th, 2011, 06:06 PM
hey you had the same idea as me! Fire/grass/water mixed with flying/rock/fighting! agree with what Logie and Scarf said so far. GREAT SHADING, but the water starter pose is lack luster. Also,the cardinal could look toward the opponent more, and less to the side.

Oryx
April 6th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I occasionally click on sprite threads, and when I do I always think there's something "off" about them that makes them not look like they could be real Pokemon. Whatever all the other sprites I've looked at lack, you definitely have. I could see these, especially the fire starter, inserted directly into a Pokemon game.

dinosaurodon
April 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks everybody for commenting on my work :D Anyways i have got an update, yay! I edited the sprites that you guys told me to. (see 1st post!)

tnguye3
April 8th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Woah these look great!
you've definitely improved your sprites from the last thread, and they look fresh and have this feel of a new style. Sorry if I can't express myself properly. xD

I especially like the birds, the lineart is really impressive and the shades are on the right spots! :)

flamemaster
April 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM
nice sprites dino. seriously how did you learn to sprite this well, its amazing! i really like the new style your going with, except the grass starter, i dunno, for some reason it doesn't strike me as a starter, its just to conspicous, all the others look great i especially like the fire starter and the new cardible. keep up the good work man.
flamemaster~

dinosaurodon
April 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks Guys :D I really appreciate the nice comments

dinosaurodon
April 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks for not commenting for the last 7 days D: Naw, just kidding. I have got an update! I have got the evolutions of the starters and my favorite sprite so far, some caterpillar thing! Feel free to comment on my work.
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/1261/unledytr.png

trinity_pt
April 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I really love your fakemons. That worm one is a bit weird because it looks like he has wood growing out of his face and tail but other then that i just see real talent.

Logiedan
April 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM
The red on the evolution of the water starter is way too..red. It just seems way off and unbalanced, so I think you should lighten it up a bit. Maybe you could make it close to the red on the water starter.

The caterpillar looks a bit flat as well and the eyes are unusual. You could try using real Pokémon as references for eyes. I love the updates though, keep spriting. c:

Oryx
April 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Did I mention that I love your sprites? Because I really do. I'm in love with your fire starter line :x

The only things I would change are what Logiedan suggested. I don't think the caterpillar itself looks flat, but the eyes should maybe bug out a bit? Or, for added effect, you could take the eyes off altogether and leave people wondering if the eyes belong on the yellow spot or the red ones on top.

Logiedan
April 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I just noticed that there was shading on the caterpillar. XD I couldn't really tell, so possibly have some more contrast? I also noticed that the outline of the caterpillar is mostly all black, and that's a bit heavy on it.

bleedpark
April 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
idk i liked the first version of the fire starter evolution ALOT more. love the water evo and the bug is quite...whats the word im looking for...keen, if u will :P

dinosaurodon
April 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
That worm one is a bit weird because it looks like he has wood growing out of his face and tail
Those are actually poison barbs, it is based on the Dryas iulia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryas_iulia) caterpillar.
The red on the evolution of the water starter is way too..red. It just seems way off and unbalanced, so I think you should lighten it up a bit.
Yeah, thought there was a little to much contrast.
I don't think the caterpillar itself looks flat, but the eyes should maybe bug out a bit?
True
I just noticed that there was shading on the caterpillar. XD I couldn't really tell, so possibly have some more contrast? I also noticed that the outline of the caterpillar is mostly all black, and that's a bit heavy on it.
I did that so it would look dark and menacing, but i don't think caterpillars can be dark and menacing :D

Anyways lets get to the point here, I have got an update. I edited some of the fakes and I put the evolutions of the birds in the dex. Personally i think they look bad*** but i want to know what you guys think.
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1261/unledytr.png

Dorandragon
April 23rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
I think it looks odd in how all three of the basic stage starters have different walking styles for lack of a better term, as in how the grass is a Biped, the Fire is a Quadroped, and the Water is Lapras-ped, but then in the first stage, both the water and the grass are bipeds, and quite frankly, look like a retype of the same pokemon. I suggest making the Second stage a floating serpent as well.

The cardinal based bird is awesome, but i think the feet are placed badly, and it looks almost on a tilt.

Keep spriting, cause I know your worlds better than I am!

(Sprite!)
May 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Your fakemons are awesome, dude. Keep it up!

Quilava's Master
May 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
The grass line looks stupendous and hands down the best of the three. The fire starter is my least favorite of the three but it's quite cute really. The water starter's head is a little too bulbous and its evo looks nothing like it. Drastic change is drastic. The first blue jay is kinda average but the second stage is so cool, same goes for the final stage. The cardinal is the opposite. Everything looks good until the last stage where it looks too pudgy and its legs are awkward looking. I'll wait to judge the caterpillar until after I see its evolutionary relatives.

Beegu
June 26th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Teach me the ways of spriting O wise one! Could you make like a tutorial or something? Otherwise, all your fakemon look great, especially the bird, but as Logiedan said, the water starters pose should be a bit more dynamic.

flamz321
June 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I agree with what everyone said, especially the part about the tutorial!

zein
June 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Dude, those sprites are awesome keep doing it.

Plumpyfoof
July 2nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
I'm really liking the caterpillar thing hah deffinately my favorite.
And maybe the grass starter can be second haha. They're really good but, keep it up :)

XxxGoblinKingxxX
July 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
im loving these! my suggestion is to change the poses of the second evo for the water and grass types, the look to similar :U

PokeDarby
July 8th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Keep at it man they're lookin good!

dinosaurodon
July 8th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hey everyone, been gone a pretty lonnnng time, but i am back and i have a little surprise for you all. The final stages of the starters! and i hve been getting alot of messages to change the water starters evo so i did. and i have edited the final cardinal evo. enjoy, comment, criticize.
Here they are!!!!:Dhttp://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1261/unledytr.png

MonsterMMORPG
July 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
they are pretty amazing. keep up great work

dinosaurodon
July 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
They might be good but are anything but amazing. There are spriters who are much better than I am, but thanks anyway.

ThisIsNotJared
July 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM
You have great pixel work, your lines are outstanding and your colors are vivid!

But, one thing: Your Bug / Poison looks a bit like Venipede

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
your scratching Fakemon Pokemon are done very well but you can use a little bit of more shading on some of the fakemon such as the second and third evolution for the grass/fighting starter around the belly area. my favorite one will have to be the Fire/Rock type because it reminds me of Camerupt and Entei

:t354:TG

OminousMix
July 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Woah, those are awesome. The starters look really nice. The Bird's 3rd evolution...the fat one not flying...that looks somewhat weird. But anyways nice, keep up the good work.

Pr4da
July 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM
your sprite's not bad;) .

Chu
August 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
They all look great good job!

1UpedAngel
August 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I'm completely jelly man. O_O Why are you so awesome?

Hawk.
August 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I love your art. Especially that Normal and Flying blue bird. What is it's name?

dinosaurodon
August 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
^which one?
1st-Jaybee (blue jay+baby)
2nd-Cygal (Cyanocitta+goggle)
3rd-Stelavery (Cyanocitta Stelleri+aviary)

thanks btw

SNIM
August 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Very, very nice looking, gj! :)

dinosaurodon
September 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Very, very nice looking, gj! :)

Thanks!

So, nothing big just a random pixelation (not a fake)

It's something called the "Black King Kong Shrimp" very rare (and expensive) variety of the "Caridina cantonensis" shrimp. I don't have any but i want one.

tnguye3
September 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM
your sprites are great!
i especially like the final stage of the blue flying bird. I like the design and overall the lineart and shading, which somewhat resembles the BW style. :)

Good job!

Dorandragon
September 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
well done. Your stuff still looks quite good. I enjoy seeing work from you. and I'm glad you changed the second evo on the water, the evolution seems to have more flow while not copying the grass evolution. do you have plans to make more fakemon?

dinosaurodon
September 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
well done. Your stuff still looks quite good. I enjoy seeing work from you. and I'm glad you changed the second evo on the water, the evolution seems to have more flow while not copying the grass evolution. do you have plans to make more fakemon?

Thanks, and yes, I do have plans to make more fakemon, however yet again I am in the process of editing them all.
Here's a sneak peak
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/269/9/2/indoh_region_fakemon_by_dinosaurodon-d4b1pfe.png

7Mufasa7
September 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM
im loving all those pokes except the grass/fight... and the dark flying bird (just that one not the previous evos of it). i liked the 3rd stage fire/rock poke too. and i like the new water evo. looks more realistic.

wonderful job on their eyes.

caterpillar and the fire evos are my favorite.

keep up the good work.

EDIT: I ONLY SAW THE FIRST PAGE...

the last post: grass starters look better... so does the ptera thing...
whats that sheep thing thou?

dinosaurodon
October 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
im loving all those pokes except the grass/fight... and the dark flying bird (just that one not the previous evos of it). i liked the 3rd stage fire/rock poke too. and i like the new water evo. looks more realistic.

wonderful job on their eyes.

caterpillar and the fire evos are my favorite.

keep up the good work.

EDIT: I ONLY SAW THE FIRST PAGE...

the last post: grass starters look better... so does the ptera thing...
whats that sheep thing thou?

Thanx, the pteradactyl has to be my favorite. The sheep thing is a shrew xD

XxXRy0MaEcHiZenXxX
October 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Great Work Keep it up! hope to see more

dinosaurodon
October 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Great Work Keep it up! hope to see more

Thanks, I try to do my best :D

Logiedan
October 10th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Now there's something more to discuss about these sprites. (http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d4cgj6m)

dinosaurodon
October 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Now there's something more to discuss about these sprites. (http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d4cgj6m)

What exactly? the claws on the grass dinosaur?

Skizzieren
October 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I really like these sprites! I especially love the design of the red birds. However, I think they could use a palette adjustment. To me, the red and black are a tad too dark(?) maybe. Also, the right wing looks rather flat in the second red bird.

Logiedan
October 11th, 2011, 03:31 PM
What exactly? the claws on the grass dinosaur?

deviantART user JESGRAD07 (http://jesgrad07.deviantart.com/) claims you've taken parts of other people's fakemon and used it as your own. I compared your recent fakemon with a lot of other people's fakemon sprites and I don't see a lot of similarity, in most of them except for the final of the ptera and grass starter.

In a recent blog entry of JESGRAD07 (http://jesgrad07.deviantart.com/), she says:

I happened to come upon the dex when browsing around. I noticed the arms of the grass starters final stage were exact match for my Water Starters Final. I left a simple comment "http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/b/blankstare.gif" and then later I went back and commented " I don't care if you take from the official pokemon sprites. But I do mind when you take from my fakemon sprites. The arms of the final stage of your grass starter are the arms from my water starter plattasaur. Don't freaking leech off of others because you feel you can't sprite yourself" or something to that effect. He replied "wooo hold on there. you should be grateful when someone uses your work. It means they respect you and shows how good a spriter you are. Calm down your acting like I robbed a bank" or something to that effect.

After comparing them, I did notice that the lineart was exactly the same. but the shading is different. Now for the comparison images.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2qx9axg.jpg

Notice how the claws and arms fit in exactly from JESGRAD07's piece and dino's piece.

http://i56.tinypic.com/why650.jpg

This is something I thought of, though I'm not sure of it myself. Just notice the similarity in blazeknight-94's piece (http://blazeknight-94.deviantart.com/gallery/23638672#/d2cpv3b) and dino's piece mostly around the mouth, eye and neck.

DGXZ
October 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Epicz! I love the starters! However one thing I noticed about the design of starters, is that grass starters are all reptiles, fire starters are all from the chinese zodiac, and water starters can live on land but rely on water for living. Although your skills are amazing *o*

france0001
October 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Awesome dude! these fakemons are nice and the shadings are perfect. Keep it up!

dinosaurodon
October 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Epicz! I love the starters! However one thing I noticed about the design of starters, is that grass starters are all reptiles, fire starters are all from the chinese zodiac, and water starters can live on land but rely on water for living. Although your skills are amazing *o*

Awesome dude! these fakemons are nice and the shadings are perfect. Keep it up!

Thanks guys! I try to do my best :)

jojo1250
November 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM
love the sprites!
shadings awsome!
nothing else to say but that i would love to see more.

zigzagame
November 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
love your fakemons...especially the dragon...it would be nice if you could draw them larger.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
November 22nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/why650.jpg

For these two sprites, the first one's outline is a little bit too dark especially around the wings and head. The second one is fine, I love how you did the coloring and the shading for these two.

Houndoomed
December 4th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Im a novice spriter myself, great job, keep up the good work

Zeus

Lucario87
December 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
These are looking really good, my advice is to research some dinosaurs get some different shapes and sizes, heres some suggestions; Bambiraptor, Fulgurotherium, Hypsibema, Jinfengopteryx & Udanoceratops there's is some idea that will bring you great Dino-mon overall your sprites are great :)

Sector
December 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Dude, you're making me want to create a Fakemon game haha

Keep it up, you're drawing/design for these Fakemon creatures are amazing.

dinosaurodon
December 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys for the much appreciated comments, you're the ones that make me want to keep on spriting!

And now for a long overdue update :D
*edited the parts that i stole from other spriters and added an apple bird thing and some fire hyaenas
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4969/muhpokes2.png

Logiedan
December 17th, 2011, 12:54 AM
For these two sprites, the first one's outline is a little bit too dark especially around the wings and head. The second one is fine, I love how you did the coloring and the shading for these two.

Just to clarify, the second one does NOT belong to dinosaurodon. It was used as a similarities and differences comparison.