PDA

View Full Version : How has anime and manga affected you life?

Everyone Esplode Noaw
April 4th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Would you say it has worsened your life or made it better? Perhaps it's just another TV series you like... or not.

I'd say anime and manga has made my life a bit better and worse in ways. I have a friend that I probably wouldn't talk to at all if it wasn't for these silly animations and books. But, I tend to spend a bit of money on these kind of things, but the good tends to outweigh the bad in most ways.

Questionnaire

1) Do you feel anime and manga has restricted your personal life?

2) Or has it made it better?

3) Do you have 'anime friends'?

4) Do you have friends outside of the anime world?

5) What anime is you favorite?

6) Why?

Oryx
April 5th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Absolutely not. While anime gave me something to retreat into when I wasn't feeling confident in my social skills, it also gave me friends.

Definitely better. I made all my good friends now from anime club in my college, including my boyfriend. If I didn't like anime, we probably never would have met.

See above, most of my friends are from anime club. They're even still in my phone as "Alex anime", "Trish anime", etc.

Yeah, not so much here at school except for a few people from the RPG club, but more so back at home.

Too hard a question and not really relevant, lol.

Graceful
April 5th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Not really, it just makes me look forward to something at the end of the day.
A little yes. It made me even more determined to stay at school and pursue higher education and It also made me learn Japanese....and gain some individuality. ;)
I have like....one and my 'anime' friend is leaving school.
Loads. So it makes me look more individual by liking it ^.^
It's either Angel Beats! or Kaichou wa Maid-Sama! recently.
6) Why?
The humor and how it portrays different situations...with a comic effect ;)

Weeaboo Name
April 5th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Nope, not at all.

Again, not really. Haven't met any IRL friends through anime/manga yet.

Only a few people online really.

All of them.

Clannad After Story.

6) Why?
Every emotion under the sun was felt whilst watching it, rare for me to enjoy any series, anime/manga/regular tv as much as i did that.

EmeraldSerenade
April 5th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'll be completely honest with my answers, aha.

A little.. sometimes I'll sit all day at home and watch or read anime/manga.

Its made my life a WHOLE lot better :3 I've discovered SO many things, lol.

Oh yus. I want more though.

Of course.

Um. Well... Probably Spirited Away

6) Why?
First actual animated movie I watched. Loved it.

Now if we're talking about a tv show, it would probably be Lucky Star x3

Owl
April 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
No, it gives me something to look forward to, and it actually opened my eyes to some things in rl.

Better :o

Yessir. A bunch.

Duhhh :P

Clannad & Clannad ~AS~

6) Why?
Just the whole story, plot and how it turned out was beautiful. It was one of the only anime that I actually cried while watching and it kept me addicted to it :P

Alice
April 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM
No, not at all.

I don't know if it would have been better, or worse without anime, but I'm certainly happy the way things are.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this... I do have a friend online that's just as into anime as I am, but all of my other friends either don't like it at all, or have never really tried it.

Yes.

Lucky Star

6) Why?
It just makes me happy when I watch it, I suppose. It matches my 3 favorite genres too: Comedy, Slice of Life, and Parody.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
April 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM
No, not at all.

Not really but it does give me something to talk to when I talk to other fellow anime and manga lover

A few

Yes.

I have too many

6) Why?
Because they are entertaining and keep me busy plus they are funny and give me a good laugh.

Esper
April 5th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Every choice you make restricts you because you can't do the thing you didn't choose, but I know what you mean. No, it hasn't. I definitely moved toward some people and away from others, but like I said that happens regardless of what you do.

It probably hasn't done either. I've always been a bit of a closet nerd so I don't go up to people if, say, they're reading some manga and go "You read MANGA? I do too! We should be friends!"

Guess I kind of answered that already. No, I have 'friend friends'. Some like anime, some don't. I have a hard time keeping friends if we have little in common so I don't think I could keep an 'anime friend' for long unless the friendship grew beyond that.

It's like I'm predicting these questions. See above.

I really couldn't say.

6) Why?
Because my tastes change and something I once thought was THE BEST ANIME EVER might now make me laugh in a painful how-could-I-have-liked-that sort of way. Others I just forget about. *shrug*

Cherrim
April 7th, 2011, 09:05 PM
It hasn't restricted it. I don't really see how it could unless someone makes it their LIFE and it's never good to do that with any one interest, I don't think.

It's definitely made it better. A lot of my interests sprung from anime. For example, I got into drawing because of anime at several points in my life (Sailor Moon, then Pokémon, then Cardcaptor Sakura...) and that led to my interest in art which essentially defined me while I was a teenager.

I guess I do. I met a lot of my friends through anime (or video games) originally. Our friendships didn't focus solely on anime or anything, but the initial spark, the shared interest, was quite often something from the anime subculture. With one close friend, we both had Pokémon cards at girl guide camp, with another, we noticed each other's Yu-Gi-Oh drawings, others I met while reading manga or something. Sure there are friends with whom most of our conversations revolve around these sorts of things but that's fine too.

Certainly. I've got friends I've made in a lot of different ways and with most of my friends, what we talk about now is unrelated to the interests we first met because. A lot of my friends and I aren't really into anime so much anymore. Even back when we were, our friendship evolved to be based on more than just mutual interests.

Not answering the last two because they seem rather unrelated. :P

batmon
April 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Not at all, I don't feel like I have to watch anime 24/7

Better I guess, it's a good way to pass time

Only a few people online

All of my friends in the real world

Zeta Gundam

6) Why?
I'm too tired to explain in detail why

jira-chan
April 25th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Somehow, yes. I seem to watch anime more than hang around with my friends, I guess it has left me alone when I listen to anime songs and read manga since nobody in my family ever talks about it anyways.. But that's just in the family thing. It hasn't restricted my personal life in the friend circle~ I seem to make friends because they like anime as well. :]

Anime definitely has made my life better. At first, I was just a lonely idiot. xD But then, more animes kept appearing and I even befriended the only anime otaku in my previous school (which was the 1st honor, and it's hard to talk to her).. I've met many otakus that like almost the same anime~ :] Too bad my family couldn't share that trait. xD

As stated above, yes. One notable one is a friend of mine named Liana, which was the person that was closest to me because we both like Anime and have fights over anime crushes, lol. :] Mostly, the friends I have like anime~ Rl or Internet, even.

Yes. Of course, mostly in the study and music term.. but whatever. xD

5) What anime is your favorite?
It would have to be Naruto, or Fullmetal Alchemist.

6) Why?
Because they are just plain awesome, lol. xD Naw.. they just have an interesting story. Also, the songs in FMA.. are nice. *nods* xD