PDA

View Full Version : Autotune

moments.
April 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM
We are all aware that autotune is very present in the popular music of today, but what do we think about it?

Do you think autotune should only be used to correct minor pitch faults instead of making the singer sound like a robot?

Do you think autotune should not be used because it allows people with arguably less musical talent than others to sound just as good? Is this cheating?

General thoughts on autotuning?

Mr Cat Dog
April 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
The only times I can consciously say I've listened to stuff that's been Auto-Tuned are when I've watched Glee and listening to Rebecca Stunfisk Black. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to hearing it that I don't notice unless it's a particularly egregious example - like the above mentioned.

It's certainly an example of laziness in the recording industry, as it allows everyone to sound the same and means music competition shifts from the quality of vocals to other qualities, like image or how well the artist in question has mobilised his/her fanbase. In the commercial arena, it does feel like an unfair advantage for artists who are using it.

However, I have no problem with it being used to fix mistakes. Just the overuse and unnecessary use rubs me the wrong way, slightly.

Zeffy
April 11th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I don't have problem with autotuned music, tbh. What ticks me off is too much use of it.

Cherrim
April 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have no problem with using it to fix minor errors in an otherwise fine song, which is what I imagine it was created for (even though that's not really "auto" tuning it, since I imagine sound technicians would have to go in and fix it specifically). But when it's used for its unique sound, then I have an issue. :( Like on Glee, almost all the actors are very musically inclined (originally Broadway actors, etc.) so there's... really no reason to overuse auto-tune so much and it's used so excessively in every song that you tend to notice it all the time.

I guess my stance is, if I notice it was used, it's being overused and it shouldn't be.

And I really don't agree with people who aren't naturally talented using it to get ahead anyway. :[ I hate that natural talent and training takes a backseat to image and outward appearance.

Azure Revolver
April 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I believe that it should be used for what it is intended for, not to make the singer sound like a robot. I don't believe it is "cheating", but I find it pitiful and pathetic when a certain someone uses heavy autotuning to try to compensate for crappy lyrics and horrible talent for singing. You may know her as Rebecca Stunfisk.

My general thoughts on autotuning are mixed. If a person overuses it in their song, regardless of quality, I find it annoying and often degrades the music. If a person uses it to cover up their horrible singing, I find it pitiful and pathetic. Autotuning can be used to make a song pretty good though. Double Rainbow anyone?

Lily
April 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I think autotune is great for some of the effects in songs - it can really enhance them if used right. The problem is when it's used to mask horrible singing and whatnot. Also, it's very overused in modern pop songs.

WriteThemWrong
April 12th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I think autotune is great for some of the effects in songs - it can really enhance them if used right. The problem is when it's used to mask horrible singing and whatnot. Also, it's very overused in modern pop songs.
I agree with that. Autotune can give some nice interesting effects in songs, MGMT, The Black Keys, Daft, and many other bands do it, but when it's used to cover up horrible and, often times, lazy singing it's obvious. So glad T-pain and Soulja Boy have faded into obscurity now.

OH NOES!! I mentioned them. You guys didn't hear anything.

PlatinumDude
April 12th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Do you think autotune should only be used to correct minor pitch faults instead of making the singer sound like a robot?: Yes.

Do you think autotune should not be used because it allows people with arguably less musical talent than others to sound just as good? Is this cheating?: It should be used when the singer's musical talent is getting close to perfection.

General thoughts on autotuning?: It's only good in moderation, but it shouldn't be overused.

Esper
April 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I don't think there's that big a need to correct minor errors in someone's singing. The slight imperfections in songs can actually be an improvement. Well, not an improvement exactly, but they can make the song something as good as the one it would be if it gets autotuned. I feel like if the music you're making is in such need of perfect vocals then you shouldn't be singing or making that music without perfect vocals.

Then again, anything can be used as an instrument to make good music, including filters and alterations to a singer's voice. In theory someone could autotune all their songs and it wouldn't bother me at all even if I could hear the autotuning from the very first note, though in practice autotune is usually annoying when you can tell it's there because it always sounds the same.

JP
April 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I agree with that. Autotune can give some nice interesting effects in songs, MGMT, The Black Keys, Daft, and many other bands do it, but when it's used to cover up horrible and, often times, lazy singing it's obvious. So glad T-pain and Soulja Boy have faded into obscurity now.

OH NOES!! I mentioned them. You guys didn't hear anything.

Haha, I completely agree with this. I can appreciate the interesting effects it can give and whatnot, but the use of it to mask horrible singing is what really annoys me about it, that and of course using it repeatedly.

mondays suck
April 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Pretty much what WriteThemWrong said, but for some reason I still was shocked when Rob Halford experimentally used Autotune to make himself sound like a robot in "Made of Metal". Just didn't feel right. But still, usually I don't mind the use of Autotune for effects, I do mind the use of Autotune for covering up a lack of singing talent.

fer
April 12th, 2011, 12:18 PM
For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of autotune myself. I generally can listen to songs with minimal amount of it, but overly done with it can get quite annoying, taking Britney Spear's latest album for example. It was way overdone with autotune and it didn't come out well at all, the first two singles to be released had the right amount as for most of all the other songs, no I couldn't really stand it. But, I've never considered it cheating to be honest it just makes the artist look like a horrible singer when they might actually have a nice voice behind all that computer generated sound.

Azonic
April 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I think autotune is an essential part of one's unique sound. Artists like Robyn use autotune to create their signature style.

And autotune is used by nearly everyone in the business anyways, even if its only a little.

Autotune does not help a worse singer to sound just as good as an amazing singer. It just keeps them on pitch but good singing ability, imo, will still always shine through.

Autotune can be correctly used and incorrectly used.