PDA

View Full Version : I'll sell you a magikarp for only 500 yen!!

Miss Doronjo
April 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
So, we know there are certain pokemon salesmen tries to sell. Lets say, your in the pokemon world, then one day, someone tells you a deal: "Magikarp for 500 yen!" or "Slowpoke tail for 1,000,000 yen!" or any other pokemon that someone decides to sell.

How would you react to people selling pokemon? Would you buy pokemon that people are selling? Would you sell pokemon yourself?

Just remember that this is assuming you, yourself are in the pokemon world.

Zayin
April 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I see nothing wrong with selling them, I'd buy a Pokemon I want in my team. The Slowpoketail is ridiculous though. I'd rather cut it myself for free xD.

Mew~
April 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I would probably the guy for selling Pokémon to any person of arthority, weather it be Looker or Officer Jenny. xD

Anyone could easily just use an rod to capture a Magikarp so there no need to pay for such money for a very worthless Pokémon.

Then again, say if he was as persuasive as in the anime I probably would buy it because of the funny things he comes up with. xD

Cherrim
April 12th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Slowpoketail is horrible because they actually mutilate Pokémon to create them buuut... nothing wrong with selling Pokémon themselves, imo! If you consider them like animals, people sell animals as pets all the time. They'll even tack on extra fees for making sure they're healthy and well-trained. I see no reason it couldn't be similar in the Pokémon world.

Ambellina
April 12th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I would buy a pokemon depending on how healthy, rare, & how much the rest of my team liked it. As long as it wasn't poached or abused or something I don't really see a problem.

Mr Cat Dog
April 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM
The prices quoted thus far seem a bit ridiculous, but I'd probably buy one if it was worth my money and if I wanted the critter in question. Just like a dog or any other pet, really...

PlatinumDude
April 13th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I see nothing wrong with selling Pokemon. If those Magikarp and Slowpoke sales in the OP were offered to me, I'd refuse them.

jira-chan
April 13th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Well, there really is nothing wrong with selling Pokemon for profit.. but harming Pokemon is bad.

tsk tsk!

Still, I will never buy a Magikarp for 500. Feebas, maybe.. but Magikarp.. not unless it's gold. xD

vaporeon7
April 13th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I'd buy the Pokemon if they sell it healthy and it's worth it such as a Magikarp in Unova but buying a Slowpoke's Tail is wrong whether it be 1,000,000 yen or 1 yen. I wouldn't pay 500 yen for a Magikarp in Kanto though. That is like buying a crab when you live next to the ocean.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
April 13th, 2011, 03:19 AM
How would you react to people selling pokemon?
I will punch the seller.

Would you buy pokemon that people are selling?
Yes, I will. I will buy all of them and set them free.

Would you sell pokemon yourself?
Hell no. >m<

Cassino
April 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Since trainers capture pocket monsters and make them fight to unconsciousness, I don't think the trade of these creatures puts them in any worse a position. Getting angry at the selling but not the capture is like allowing slavery but not the trade of slaves in the real world — there's just not much point in accepting one without the other.
I'd rather cut a Slowpoke's tail off myself than pay such extortionate fees. I'd kill it cleanly before doing anything to it... but, amittedly, more to save myself the trouble of it flailing around than out of moral or welfare concern.

I wouldn't buy monsters unless I had a history of them, health records and the like; one doesn't buy a car without also acquiring the legal documents, after all. My prerequisites granted and the monster shown to be in good health, I have no issue with the matter. There's not much of a case for me buying one though, Pokeballs are no doubt cheaper and a venture into the woods would do me good. I only require a craven Spearow companion anyway.

To answer your last question: Since I'd be a whaler living in Sootopolis, if I lived in the Pokemon world, it wouldn't be in my business to sell entire live monsters — I'd only be selling Wailord meat and whatnot, heh. If I found a Lapras, though, things could change; they've been poached since the first generation games, and given their rarity, could fetch a good price and allow me to take a break from my job for a while.

I'm not nearly so much evil as apathetic, honestly.

Princess Sandshrew
April 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I'd kill it cleanly before doing anything to it... but, amittedly, more to save myself the trouble of it flailing around than out of moral or welfare concern.

Slowpoke can't learn flail.

as for selling mons, why not.
and the slowpoke tail, if it really tastes that good I would get it, I doubt many would be sold for 1mil though.

You eat animals, you buy animals.
pokemon are animals... basically.
though I also hold a human no higher than an animal, if it's ok to buy/sell animals it's ok to buy/sell humans.

King∞Nido
April 13th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Slowpoke can't learn flail.

as for selling mons, why not.
and the slowpoke tail, if it really tastes that good I would get it, I doubt many would be sold for 1mil though.

You eat animals, you buy animals.
pokemon are animals... basically.
though I also hold a human no higher than an animal, if it's ok to buy/sell animals it's ok to buy/sell humans.

Wait, really? O_O
You're sick in the head man… sick I tell you.

Regarding the question at hand, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with selling Pokémon. If I lived in the Pokémon world, I would make a living out of Pokémon breeding and I'd sell Pokémon of the finest pedigree for Pokémon Coordinators, or anyone willing to drop the buck… just like people in the real world.

On the other hand, advocating slavery is… stupid (there's a reason we abolished it (on paper) to begin with). End of discussion. :\

The Nightmare
April 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I would never buy or sell a pokemon because it's bad to sell your pokemon for money.

Princess Sandshrew
April 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM
On the other hand, advocating slavery is… stupid (there's a reason we abolished it (on paper) to begin with). End of discussion. :\

so, you can buy pokemon because they WILL become your friends, but a human will never?
slavery isn't the bad thing here, it's the mistreating of people.
you'd force an animal to live with you and battle/enter contests, but why not another human?

I do not believe that any being has a higher claim to life than another.

jynx
April 14th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Now I will pay 500yen for a Gardevoir! :D

Zeffy
April 14th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I'd slap them in a face with a large trout. Its like human trafficking, you know. Except its not. I'd seriously slap them in the face and report them to the nearest Officer Jenny I could find.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 14th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Not Magikarp because you can go fish in the nearest pond and find one.

But I see no problem with selling Pokemon as long as it's legitimate. I'd buy a Pokemon if it was a Pokemon I wanted and the price was right. And I'd gladly sell off all those Pokemon I solely caught for Pokedex purposes :P

shengar
April 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM
In real-like pokeworld, I think catching pokemon will be actually much, much harder. There is no problem catching and selling them for the right price, as long as the seller treat them right. Buying them is a good choice if you start your own adventure without being supported by a professor and doesn't have any pokemon to begin with.

Princess Sandshrew
April 14th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Now I will pay 500yen for a Gardevoir! :D

I wouldn't trust someone selling a Gardevior for 500¥ o:

RYOUKI
April 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Actually, no. I don't think selling Pokemon is also humane. It's like, um, what do you call it? Illegal imports? I dunno.

If they do sell Pokemon, I would not buy it since catching Pokemon is 33.3% is what being a Pokemon trainer is about. The others are Battling and Trading.

Ironically, I always buy a Magikarp for P500. Since I'm too lazy to catch one myself. XD!

The Sly Fox
April 17th, 2011, 02:47 PM
If it's considered legal in the pokemon world, I have no problem with people selling them.

I, myself wouldn't buy one. I'd rather catch them. I wouldn't sell one either.

Zorua
April 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'd feel sorta bad, to be quite honest. Pokemon aren't meant to be tools to be sold, they're supposed to be friends. ;___; Besides, I find that magikarp guy to be pretty annoying, anyway. :( And I would definitely not buy a slowpokefail! D: Just imagine how those poor slowpoke feel with their tails cut off.

I just imagine those salespeople in the Pokemon world are like people here; there are some that tend to rip you off and...well yeah. ><; not a pretty thing to imagine or go through.

The Noob Hacker
April 17th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I see no wrong in it, so long as the Pokemon for sale were fairly treated, and were legally obtained and whatnot. If we are allowed to catch and trade them, then I see nothing wrong about what is basically trading, but instead of another Pokemon you get money. And, depending on their medical records, general health, and whether or not I felt the Pokemon was worth the price (and if I wanted it, but that goes without saying.) I would probably buy it.

And considering how I think if Pokemon was real I highly doubt that anyone could make a living on training alone, as I also question whether or not people in the real world would be so willing to pay you for beating the crap out of their Pokemon. As such, people would have to get real jobs, among those being Pokemon sale. So, if it was a trade I was good at (and something I liked doing.), I would probably sell Pokemon for a living.

★Symbiosis★
April 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't sell my own pokemon, I would release them into the wild before i do that. I wouldn't buy a pokemon ethier because i like to raise my pokemon from day one and create a bond with them.

Buggyo
April 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Considering there's only one place in-game that you can legitimately buy Pokemon[Celadon Game Corner is run by Rockets, Magicarp seller's aren't exactly running a legally ordained business], it sounds morally/legally sketchy.
Especially considering Goldenrod is the most ghetto of Pokemon cities. XP

Dark Piplup
April 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Well Pokemon were supposed to be companions. But if it wasn't illegal then I may buy one and make it my friend. But I wouldn't sell them 'cause like I said Pokemon would be my friends not just mindless drones.

~Ryukaa
April 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I'd buy one. It's just like buying a pet, it should be alright.
Since I'm comparing them to pets, I'd only sell the offspring of Pokemon, yeah. xD;

Vrai
April 18th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Like a couple of other people mentioned, it'd be like buying a pet! 8D

I'd totally buy anything so long as it wasn't like incredibly unreasonable. EVERY POKEMON NEEDS A GOOD HOME YAAAH! ...even Magikarp. :D I wouldn't buy stuff like Slowpoketails, though. That's like... I'd probably just beat the person selling them up. :x

solarowl
April 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'd buy them, like everyone says, as pets! As long as it's legal, and not some Team Rocket scheme. I would prefer they are newly hatched, as I want a strong bond with them.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
April 27th, 2011, 08:11 AM
If it was a pokémon I was having trouble catching and one that I really wanted, then yes I would definitely buy it, provided that it hadn't been harmed in any way :) Although if it had been harmed I'd buy it anyway and nurse it back to health :)

Roxanne Rosie
April 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Well, of course! But really only as pets and not as slaves that people only use once and then never use again. But sure, if it was a legal operation, then I would have no problem with it.

Osha_say_wott?!
April 28th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I'd buy one if they were selling some at a pokémon pet shop, not so much from a shady old man. Knowing my luck I'd be sold a rock with pipe cleaners for arms with the pretense that I'm getting a Geodude. =/ Anyways, I'd have no problem selling the offspring of a pokémon of mine.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
April 28th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I'd buy one if they were selling some at a pokémon pet shop, not so much from a shady old man. Knowing my luck I'd be sold a rock with pipe cleaners for arms with the pretense that I'm getting a Geodude. =/ Anyways, I'd have no problem selling the offspring of a pokémon of mine.

LMAO haha that'd be exactly the kind of thing that would happen to me too lol! xD

LatiasSoulDew
May 1st, 2011, 10:04 PM
I think that's alright to selling Pokemon.

Let's think about it, because there are people in Pokemon world who give Pokemon for free, the emergence of selling Pokemon is not strange.

And a lot of people in Pokemon world have a Pokemon although they are not a trainer. so it is possible that they are get those Pokemon from a gift or buy it.

The Void
May 1st, 2011, 10:58 PM
Pokemon are not to be sold. They are only either to be traded or given away. You can buy anything in the Pokemon World but love and Pokemon.

--Some guy near the flower shop somewhere below Rustburo...

LatiasSoulDew
May 2nd, 2011, 12:49 AM
dragon456: I think only a sweet words from one people can't close the possibility of selling pokemon in pokemon world. in the fact there is someone who selling magikarp, and for the official one, prize in game corner that let you get pokemon using coin that you get from gambling or directly buying that coin, it's as good as selling.

Well, selling pokemon not mean we treat that pokemon bad.
and someone will buy pokemon not must be because they love that pokemon, it's can be because they need that pokemon, for example: Pokemon Center.

Reiyu
May 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Id Buy a Magikarp if i couldnt find one (^^;)

Oharo
May 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'd buy it. It's kind of like getting Pokemon from gambling anyway. Scyther from the original gambling den was win.

King Gumball
May 3rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
It is basically like selling a dog or a cat in our world, or for the Slowpoke tail a Pigs ear or bones etc. I don't think it is wrong to sell them, and I would totally buy the Magikarp :D

ElectricScyther
May 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
As long as the pokemon weren't abused by the seller, I'd support it. Unless, of course, you have to pay $1,000 for a level 1 Bidoof plus shipping and handling.

BenjiTheKid
May 4th, 2011, 06:11 AM
How would you react to people selling pokemon? Indifferent, probably. I mean, we have breeders in the real word, and there are obviously breeders in the Pokemon world... I imagine not all Pokemon breeders are trainers, too... so they have to make their Poke'monies somehow. xD

Would you buy pokemon that people are selling? That would depend on whether or not I'm seeking the Pokemon they're selling. And also if the price is reasonable based on the rarity of the Pokemon.

Would you sell pokemon yourself? Eh. Probably not. I'd probably be more like those creepy trainers who walk around giving the eggs my Pokemon lay away for free. Yeah. Because that would be swell.

Also, regarding how I would react to the Magikarp, I'd say "Only if you buy mine for 1000. Huh, Huh? *nudge* " Ah, just kidding. I love Magikarp. They make for good lollipops. They evolve into Gyarados.

Also, I wouldn't buy stuff like Slowpoketails, either (or Magikarp lollipops) because yeah... that just seems... wrong to me, too. :x

Crimson5M
May 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM
It's the same as buying a Cat or a Dog really. Except they can kill you with their deadly attacks. People selling parts of Pokemon, like the Slowpoketail isn't so bad either really...I mean, we buy sausages and chicken and stuff, so hey, why not?

Mato
May 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
How about this... it is legal to buy Pokemon, yet illegal to sell them at unreasonable prices!

Anyway, I'd buy one. I thought gambling for prize Pokemon would be considered worse, but whatever.

AustInsane
May 4th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I fell for the magikarp salesman my first time through blue version. 500 yen isn't that much though, and I had never seen a magikarp before cuz I had no old rod. I think I would totally sell pokemon. I would try to make a business out of breeding them and selling the eggs/babies. People sell dogs. Why not sell pokemon?

Rai
May 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM
If someone was selling pokemon to be pets like at a pet store it would be really cool. You could have a pokemon as companion without having to catch one or go on a journey. It would also be good for small children who are not old enough to go off on their own yet.