PDA

View Full Version : "Well that was disappointing."

Cherrim
April 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Have you ever heard great things about an anime, only to watch it and find it's actually really boring for you? Has someone told you an anime is a real tearjerker and you watch it stoically? Or maybe you just found an anime really overrated when you watched it.

For me, the most recent example of this was Grave of the Fireflies. I kept hearing great things about it and how it was the saddest thing I'd ever see. I finally got to watch it the other week and... I didn't shed a tear. I found it sad, sure, but I was mostly annoyed by the dumb choices the main character made and found it hard to sympathize as a result. SO NOW I JUST FEEL HEARTLESS and I wish I didn't watch it because I had such great expectations for it.

Same with FLCL. I heard all these great things about it years ago and kept meaning to watch it. Finally watched the whole thing last week and... well, it wasn't bad but it totally wasn't my thing. I probably would've loved it years ago when I was a pre-teen obsessed with over-the-top anime stuff but now it just seemed random for the sake of being random.

inb4 people yell at me for having bad taste :(

Weeaboo Name
April 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Quite a lot of times actually. I share the same opinion of FLCL, good but nowhere near the levels it's made out to be.

Off the top of my head Angel Beats, Black★Rock Shooter, The second season of Kimi ni Todoke and Lucky Star have all been let-downs to a certain extent.

Oh and the Air TV series, I was foolishly expecting a level as good as Clannad or Kanon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 14th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Don't shoot me, but...

Air TV, FLCL, Paranoia Agent, and Gurren Lagann. I didn't find any of them to be nearly as good as they were hyped up to be. Granted, all but the first don't fit into my preferred genres, but they still didn't meet my expectations given what I had heard about them.

batmon
April 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
FLCL, Fate/Stay Night, and Haruhi

Mr Cat Dog
April 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM
For me, the most recent example of this was Grave of the Fireflies. I kept hearing great things about it and how it was the saddest thing I'd ever see. I finally got to watch it the other week and... I didn't shed a tear. I found it sad, sure, but I was mostly annoyed by the dumb choices the main character made and found it hard to sympathize as a result. SO NOW I JUST FEEL HEARTLESS and I wish I didn't watch it because I had such great expectations for it.

Same with FLCL. I heard all these great things about it years ago and kept meaning to watch it. Finally watched the whole thing last week and... well, it wasn't bad but it totally wasn't my thing. I probably would've loved it years ago when I was a pre-teen obsessed with over-the-top anime stuff but now it just seemed random for the sake of being random.

As much as I yelled at you on Twitter for this, I kinda feel the same way about both of them. I cried at GotF, but was expecting to cry bucketloads in comparison to the trickle of tears that emerged from my eyelids. The same goes for a fair number of Ghibli films, as well. Spirited Away is one of my favourite films ever, but a lot of the more high profile ones like Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle I found merely OK instead of great. On top of this, I tend to like some of the lesser ones (like The Cat Returns) more than I feel I should. oh well...

With regards to FLCL, I watched it last week also and found it... interesting, to say the least. I imagine it's one of those things that'll grow on me as time goes on, and I can certainly see how it could be extremely influential on other anime - that I haven't seen - but while I get what the fuss is about... it doesn't seem to interest me as much as I thought it would.

Ryoutarou
April 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Pretty much and moeblob show out there. I always read about how absolutely amazing and engrossing they can be and these are the shows I really have to make a conscious effort to watch and get through episodes of. The last time I tried watching a show like this was with K-ON and I just found it so freaking boring. There was nothing of interest to me and nothing was actually happening, at all.

Drew
April 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Grave of the Fireflies didn't make me cry, either.. It was kind of depressing in a way, but eh. So that was a let down to me at the time. Also, Furi Kuri (or FLCL, or whatever you wanna call it..) was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, and I wasn't too impressed. It was random, and I didn't really find it funny. Same thing with Lucky Star, I refuse to watch the rest of that series, as I barely made it past the second episode.

Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's was better when Yuusei was quiet, Jack was a jerk, and Aki had trust issues. I lost interest in it, and it sucks because I was looking forward to sticking with the whole thing. That might one of the one's I go back and finish later, but I have no desire to right now.

Also, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl was my least favorite Pokemon series thus far, where as I looked forward to it airing for months before it's release.

Never totally finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, either.
I recognize that it was a decent series, I just kinda.. dropped it half way through. So obviously there was something that just.. wasn't there for me, when I was watching.

That's all I can think of for right now..

Rainy Day
April 15th, 2011, 08:47 PM
This happened with the following:
Neon Genesis Evangelion - It's good, but certainly not the masterpiece that people claim it to be. The philosophy and characters and even the storytelling have some serious issues that people don't really seem to see.

Clannad - Something about me just makes me not particularly sad about any of this... I shed more tears watching Code Geass than Clannad.

fenyx4
April 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hmm...in recent memory, I don't think this has happened a lot... Only one that really comes to mind is Bleach. Now I'm not bashing it - I mean, it's quite awesome - however, I went in thinking that it would roughly tie with my favorite shonen anime series, Naruto. A lot of schoolmates were lauding it to the level where I thought it would draw me in just as Naruto did. Granted, I've only watched ~3 episodes and I've read a few manga chapters here and there... Overall, it's definitely in my Top 10 anime list as of now, but it just didn't reach the Naruto-like level I was hoping for it to reach.

I'm afraid One Piece might cause the same thing when I become properly exposed to the episodes ...I was subject to the heavily-butchered 4Kids version, and that's what introduced me to One Piece. T_T I was able to catch a few Funimation-dubbed episodes before the cancellation of its run on Toonami...I watched the first episode (the Funimation version) a few months ago, but I haven't managed to continue since then. Hopefully, it becomes stellar (or at least close to that) as the arcs go on; a few manga chapters that I read from later arcs were a bit amusing...

Misheard Whisper
April 16th, 2011, 01:46 AM
FLCL. Everybody I know irl that watches anime insisted that I watch it because it was the best goddamn anime ever and it was just so amazing and I was going to love it because it was so bloody fantastic -

And it wasn't. I thought it was the stupidest piece-of-crap anime I'd ever laid eyes on. If there was a story, I couldn't find it. I hated the voice acting, especially Haruko's. There was no explanation of anything, and it was just . . . really below average for me. I explained all my reasons to the guys who recommended it to me, yet all they could say to defend it was 'but that's what makes it so amazing!'. So apparently I've been missing out on the absolute truth this whole time: for an anime to be amazing, it has to suck. Bad.

Also One Piece. Have to say it. It's one of the most universally-loved anime in the history of ever, yet I find it singularly bizarre. The character designs are grotesque, especially some of those girls. I mean, there's big, there's Barbie, and then there's how-the-hell-does-Boa-Hancock-stay-upright?. The manga is a little better than the anime, and I'll read it each month in the Shonen Jump, but mostly because it'd be a waste of money not to.

Same with Naruto, though I do have some measure of extra respect for it because the manga is infinitely superior to the anime.

RYOUKI
April 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Actually, I felt the same for Katekyo Hitman Reborn. It starts of as a good slice-of-life anime, then it went Medaka Box on me and turned into a fighting anime. It's not bad, but it's also not very good, imo.

Second is Deadman Wonderland. Um, I think that's because I read Mirai Nikki first but Deadman Wonderland's protagonist is more of a pussy. <_<

Digimon Kaiser
April 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Naruto. I found it to be kinda dumb, actually. Couldn't finish the first episode due to its crappy humor.

Cherrim
April 17th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I am rather relieved to hear I am not the only one who had those thoughts on FLCL. I thought it was like a law of anime that you had to love that anime and respect it as one of the greats but I just didn't get it. :[ I feel a lot less lame now that I see a few others felt the same way (especially Misheard Whisper since those are essentially the same things I thought, haha).

Misheard Whisper
April 17th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Actually, I feel a lot better about disliking it now, too, because since I watched it I've had this horrible feeling that I'd committed some sort of sin, and I was going to be forever shunned by everyone because of it. Just goes to show how far we're influenced by peers and so-called 'experts', huh?

Digimon Kaiser
April 17th, 2011, 07:27 AM
And the English Dub of Digimon Savers (aka Digimon Data Squad) royally sucked, and I was extremely disappointed by all of the crappy changes.
I mean...
Digi-Soul, Ikuto Noguchi, Sleipmon, Duftmon, and Yatagaramon are OVER 9000 times better than "Digimon Natural Ability [DNA for short]", "Keenan Crier", "Kentaurosmon", "Leopardmon", and "Crowmon".

Plus, they turned BomberNanimon in one of the episodes into a f***ing orange, naming him Citramon.

I am very disappointed in you, Jeff Nimoy. You are becoming too much like the failures at 4kids, who only got ONE show right! *coughcoughDinosaurKingcoughcough*

I highly prefer the Japanese Version of all six Digimon seasons!

Misheard Whisper
April 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM
RE Naruto, I gave it a 'second chance' when two episodes of Shippuuden were on CN last night, and guess what . . . IT STILL SUCKS. ;_;

I was willing to give it another shot because a) the manga is actually half-OK, and b) people had told me the Shippuuden anime was much better than the original. But no, it was still rubbish. Too much standing around growling at each other, not unlike Dragon Ball. Lots of dramatic camera angles of nothing happening at all. Voice acting has improved slightly since I watched seasons 1-4, but it's still not great. The production values have gone up somewhat, yay, but visually it's still not as impressive as I would have liked. In two episodes, so very, very little happened, and they were very plot-centric episodes as well, I can tell. I can't imagine waiting a whole week for another one of these DX