PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: 1K Posts, 2K Posts, etc Emblems

FreakyLocz14
April 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Would it be a bad idea to have emblems for reaching a certain post count?

countryemo
April 17th, 2011, 09:43 PM
..yes?
Rather useless.
You get a blog for 5000 post (non staff/high supporter) aint that enough?
To me just caring about post count is just a waste a time.

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I think it be cool, But it should only be for people after they reach 1k post and then every 1k after that.

As far as caring about post...So what. There are a few people here that post count matters too.

Oryx
April 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I don't see why not. For people that care about emblems and post count they'll be happy, and it won't make anyone unhappy.

Forever
April 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM
No. It would encourage people to pretty much spam & make lower quality posts just for emblems.

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I don't see why not. For people that care about emblems and post count they'll be happy, and it won't make anyone unhappy.

I agree but we are for sure to get some people who are going to complain because they don't like people who care about post, I am infact atm working to pump out 25-50 post a day to reach 5000 or more post by end of year xD

Aquacorde
April 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I don't like the idea.

Disregarding that, it definitely shouldn't be every 1k. That's much too easy. And what about people like Forever and Lightning? HUGE post counts. They'd then get like... 50 or more emblems clogging things up. :|

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, too.

FreakyLocz14
April 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
No. It would encourage people to pretty much spam & make lower quality posts just for emblems.

That's what infractions are for.

Noah Ridgewood
April 17th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Wow. Some of you guys get so serious when someone suggests something. Calm your tits, yo.

I don't mind emblems like that. If you have an emblem idea you want to get uploaded (the emblem itself, description, etc.) you can send me (or another staff member) a PM and if we like it, we'll bring it up to an admin to upload. It's usually just a matter of finding the right staff member.

Edit: Though, I wouldn't support an emblem for every single K you manage to reach. [css-div=padding-bottom: 200px;][/css-div]

Alli
April 17th, 2011, 09:48 PM
There's an emblem for 10k, which is actually a huge feat. 1k isn't.

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Truthfully I don't think it would. There are people who will sit here hours at a time and post but there not doing it for the emblem there doing it for the post count. On top of that Pc doesn't have many no lifers here,It is made up of a lot of kids who have school,friends and other activitys and this is just a game to them, Same for the adults here they got work and so forth. So the chance of a new member or faily older one that is at like 100 or so post going to sit here and rack up post count to 1000 is very unlikely just for a emblem, If they do do it they do it for the post count.

There's an emblem for 10k, which is actually a huge feat. 1k isn't.

Off topic: I do agree that is a feat, I hope to get 10k post some time in 2012.

Cherrim
April 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Honestly, I'd typically have no issues with it except... that's a lot of emblems to hand out. :( There are loooots of people with 1k+ posts and since emblems are distributed manually... I don't think anyone would wanna hand those out retroactively. And even on a requesting basis, having to hand out like 10 emblems at once for someone with a lot of posts doesn't sound like fun.

But I'd probably be up for uploading a 1k or 2k one and if people want it and meet the requirements, they could just ask a mod. But I can't agree to one every thousand. :( Too cluttered all around. I know 1k can be a really awesome milestone when you're starting out so I honestly have no issues rewarding it. ♥

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM
How about a 1K post count emblem, 5K post count emblem, 10k we have, 15k

So on. Goes by 5k's after 1k.

FreakyLocz14
April 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Honestly, I'd typically have no issues with it except... that's a lot of emblems to hand out. :( There are loooots of people with 1k+ posts and since emblems are distributed manually... I don't think anyone would wanna hand those out retroactively. And even on a requesting basis, having to hand out like 10 emblems at once for someone with a lot of posts doesn't sound like fun.

But I'd probably be up for uploading a 1k or 2k one and if people want it and meet the requirements, they could just ask a mod. But I can't agree to one every thousand. :( Too cluttered all around. I know 1k can be a really awesome milestone when you're starting out so I honestly have no issues rewarding it. ♥

1K can be cool for newer members. Maybe there could be that.

Forever
April 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Truthfully I don't think it would. There are people who will sit here hours at a time and post but there not doing it for the emblem there doing it for the post count. On top of that Pc doesn't have many no lifers here,It is made up of a lot of kids who have school,friends and other activitys and this is just a game to them, Same for the adults here they got work and so forth. So the chance of a new member or faily older one that is at like 100 or so post going to sit here and rack up post count to 1000 is very unlikely just for a emblem, If they do do it they do it for the post count.
Based on my own experiences, an emblem every 1000 wouldn't work out, because people really do... post uh, lower quality posts if they're aiming for a higher post count quickly (I know I did D:) and I don't feel that emblems should be a reward for those who do so. :x

Though 1000 would be fine imo if it's a one time thing and wouldn't encourage people to actively do that just for an emblem, which is my main concern.

Alli
April 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Technically, the 10k one is also for people that rack up a lot of posts within a short period of time, and it becomes requestable when you hit 10k. But honestly, I just don't think we need an emblem for every little thing like we seem to have now. There's literally an emblem for almost anything you can think of. I think what we have for posts is fine. You don't even need to hit 10k to get it. Just getting a bunch of posts in a short time (usually more noticeable with newer members) can get it if a staff member notices.

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I don't think we have a emblem for every single thing we can do on forums, because i only got 2 emblems and been here almost a year, if that was true i would for sure have more xD

fenyx4
April 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I like the idea (just passed by my 1000th post on applesauces :3), but an Emblem per every thousand posts would not only be time-consuming for staff to award, it might invite spammers (though I still think it's lame joining a forum and posting purely/primarily for post count D:).

Attaining 1000 posts is definitely a milestone IMO. 5000 posts, possibly. 10000 posts, definitely, though we already have that. Although I'm wondering whether the interval should be every 5000 posts or every 10000 posts. The former limit seems more feasible for users to achieve (though it may occur a bit too often on PC), while the latter is much more respectable, however, only a select few users that I have seen have crossed 20000 posts, notably Forever and Lightning... And IIRC, no one has 30000+ posts yet. Not to mention that 10000 posts seems like it could take some years to achieve, while 5000 posts seems achievable in a few months' time or a few years' time. Personally, I feel that "every 5000 posts" might be a better interval... :\

Based on my own experiences, an emblem every 1000 wouldn't work out, because people really do... post uh, lower quality posts if they're aiming for a higher post count quickly (I know I did D:)

*gasp*

Alli
April 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I don't think we have a emblem for every single thing we can do on forums, because i only got 2 emblems and been here almost a year, if that was true i would for sure have more xD

They're practically thrown around like coins, especially when we have get togethers and events. You get them just for participating essentially. But since you've had an absence for a while, that might be why you haven't gotten more than two.

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM
They're practically thrown around like coins, especially when we have get togethers and events. You get them just for participating essentially. But since you've had an absence for a while, that might be why you haven't gotten more than two.

True, Forgot about me not being here for a while, I was here for the new years stuff thou xD

Cherrim
April 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I'm fine with adding a 1k one but I think doing it in 5k intervals would be... idk. De-valuing it a bit maybe? But I have like 4 million posts (I'm very bad at estimations :D) so maybe I'm just thinking about it along the "oh god I'd get so many postcount emblems cluttering up the other interesting ones" line of thought.

Though I actually do watch my postcount closer than... anyone else I know on PC, it's not really an action we want to encourage too much. :[ You get a blog at 5000 which is a better perk than an emblem, then you get the 10k emblem at or before 10k (why aren't those separate emblems?), and by the time you hit 15k+, postcount is just sort of a blur anyway so I don't really think you need emblems for it.

Thomas
April 17th, 2011, 10:23 PM
One emblem for postcount is enough. And 10k posts is a high enough number that we wouldn't have newer member spamming the forums trying to reach it because it is such a high number. I think we should just leave it the way it is. Blog at 5k and Emblem at 10k.

Rukario
April 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'm up for a 1K posts milestone emblem.. PC1K or some such..

now.. getting it made and all that.. well.. as stated above, someone can just submit it to any of the upper staff/smods for consideration.

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM
One emblem for postcount is enough. And 10k posts is a high enough number that we wouldn't have newer member spamming the forums trying to reach it because it is such a high number. I think we should just leave it the way it is. Blog at 5k and Emblem at 10k.

Im not disagreeing with you but it isn't like 10k isn't really that hard to get.
If someone posted 50 post a day. 30 days they would have 1500. Take 1500 post in a month and times it by a year which is 12 months.

18,000 post in just one year. It is possible if someone was dedicated to get that much in one year but as i said before there are not many no life members on the forums so i doubt anyone could do that.

Im trying to post 25-50 post a day and i am online on and off 10-15 hours a day. The main issue is trying to find stuff you want to post in that you like so taht you can give some real input instead of just spamming.

Azure Revolver
April 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
It encourages spamming your post count up. So no, I think it's a bad idea.

Alli
April 17th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Im not disagreeing with you but it isn't like 10k isn't really that hard to get.
If someone posted 50 post a day. 30 days they would have 1500. Take 1500 post in a month and times it by a year which is 12 months.

You...really think someone wants to post that many times a day? I'm sorry, but getting a high post count and getting an emblem on a forum is just...ridiculous. It took me three years to hit 10k, and I'm content with that. I don't see why anyone would waste their time just to get 10k on a Pokemon forum and a silly emblem.

Starrodkirby86
April 17th, 2011, 10:56 PM
So, I'm not very familiar with the emblem system here, but uh, here goes.

Since emblems are distributed manually, it'd be too cumbersome to have more post count emblems unless they're of a higher number. Seeing there's over 6 million posts in the forums, it doesn't seem to be a difficulty to rack up those posts.

If there were certain emblems that could be handed out automatically, I would think something like this would be pretty cool to have -- though I'd imagine it would have to be a different sort of system for that to work...?

If we assume that the number of members breaking 1000 posts, or any small variable amount of posts, is high, then having an emblem like this would be rather overwhelming.

Cherrim
April 17th, 2011, 10:56 PM
You...really think someone wants to post that many times a day? I'm sorry, but getting a high post count and getting an emblem on a forum is just...ridiculous. It took me three years to hit 10k, and I'm content with that. I don't see why anyone would waste their time just to get 10k on a Pokemon forum and a silly emblem.
His point sorta counts for both sides. Yes, getting 5k or 10k is a big achievement if you're watching your postcount, but like you said, I really don't think people will keep up with it enough to actually spam the whole way there.

When someone posts hundreds of posts in the course of a week, we usually notice and watch them pretty close. If they're making too many spam posts, we get them on it. I just... really don't think spamming would be an issue.

My only problem is actually handing out the emblems since I don't know many people who'd wanna do it for so many post markers. :P

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I am doing it for the post count and simply because i have noting better to do in real life, so i sit on my computer all day and night and what better to do then post on a forums of a game that you love to play when you don't feel like playing the game it self.

I don't really worry about emblems that much because i don't feel many people really go to your profile and look at your emblems so whats the point. I guess I just want to enjoy my self while posting and i do exactly that. While posting i get to read topics, see what other people wrote, see there perspective/side of story and then give my own post. You may see it as racking up post and wasting time but i see it as enjoying my self. Since i am on so much and reply to every topic i can that i find interesting or have something to say in i just so happen to get 25, 50 or more post a day. Saturday evening i had like 1050 post and it is Monday at like 3am here in morning here and im up over 1200. It just comes to me while having fun. By end of this week ill most likely be at like 1800 post. I want a high post count you can say yes but i am going to have fun while racking it up.

Alli
April 17th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I am doing it for the post count and simply because i have noting better to do in real life, so i sit on my computer all day and night and what better to do then post on a forums of a game that you love to play when you don't feel like playing the game it self.

I don't really worry about emblems that much because i don't feel many people really go to your profile and look at your emblems so whats the point. I guess I just want to enjoy my self while posting and i do exactly that. While posting i get to read topics, see what other people wrote, see there perspective/side of story and then give my own post. You may see it as racking up post and wasting time but i see it as enjoying my self. Since i am on so much and reply to every topic i can that i find interesting or have something to say in i just so happen to get 25, 50 or more post a day. Saturday evening i had like 1050 post and it is Monday at like 3am here in morning here and im up over 1200. It just comes to me while having fun. By end of this week ill most likely be at like 1800 post. I want a high post count you can say yes but i am going to have fun while racking it up.

Isn't that a health hazard?

I have nothing against having fun. I accumulate a lot of posts quickly as well, but even still...no one should have to make getting an emblem or certain post count the biggest goal of their life or anything. I just find it silly how people can care for post count and emblems.

...I'm honestly more concerned for your health and social skills at this point. I'm...sure you could find better things to do than just post here. It can't be your only means of entertainment. But I'm in no position to judge, it's just a small concern I'm having in this.

Noblebeastx
April 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I think we should talk about this in pm or something because i can't get another infraction and we are going off topic xD

Ivysaur
April 17th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I'd be fine with a 1k emblem as a milestone, but that's all. As it has been said before, one per thousand means a lot of emblems, and we already have enough rewards for getting 5k and 10k.

~Wind~
April 18th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Wait, what was that about loads of emblems? I've been here 3 years and only have one!
Anyway, an emblem for 1,000 posts would be nice, but one single other emblem could be ok, say, a million maybe?
Anyone who's interactive enough to make a million posts deserves something, right?
Not many people could achieve it of course, so no one has to run about trying to grant emblems, right?
as for spam, i doubt someones going to want to sit there and spam a million times for an emblem that only represent something you earned and proved.

I can't believe I managed to come up with that...

Alice
April 18th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Doing it for every thousand would be too often. Every 5000 maybe.

Just give me my blog at 2k, and I'll be happy. lol

Vrai
April 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Wait, what was that about loads of emblems? I've been here 3 years and only have one!
Anyway, an emblem for 1,000 posts would be nice, but one single other emblem could be ok, say, a million maybe?
Anyone who's interactive enough to make a million posts deserves something, right?
Not many people could achieve it of course, so no one has to run about trying to grant emblems, right?
as for spam, i doubt someones going to want to sit there and spam a million times for an emblem that only represent something you earned and proved.

A million... is a lot of posts. o.o

Also I'm kind of against this idea. I mean, yeah, it wouldn't hurt anything, but it's not promoting much good either. I don't think we should recognize a high postcount for anything but the fact that you are active and I think while giving someone a blog is a good reward for activity (and a lot of activity at that) giving someone an emblem for every 1000 posts is something a bit too trivial and useless to make it any real goal, meaning that either these emblems are going to be meaningless and worthless to someone or they're going to spam their way into getting another one just to say they have one. I just don't think they're going to promote anything good at all.

Captain Fabio
April 18th, 2011, 02:25 AM

There are a lot of them, if you include ex-events and get-togethers, as well as others you aren't aware of. ;)

Back to the topical discussion. I don't think have an emblem every thousand is a good idea, since it would just feel a bit spammy with the emblems and would make them easy to get. In my eyes, emblems are little bit of joy that you aren't really supost to know when you will get on, with the exception of events.
I am in agreement with Went, 1K wouldn't be that bad, since 1,000 is normally a milestone for a lot of people. But when you get to 5,000 you can get a blog, so I think that is reward enough. Then we already have one for 10,000.

My opinion is I wouldn't be bothered either way if the 1K was implemented or not, but it is down to the uppers.

O_O
I... agree with you. If anyone can ACTUALLY get to one million posts...
I don't think there is any point considering a million emblem since I highly doubt it will happen.

Timbjerr
April 18th, 2011, 07:12 AM
The only problem I see with it is that people with 20K+ postcount will get 20+ emblems overnight and that will make their emblem showcase reeeaaallllyyy long. XD

If, for instance, the 2K emblem overrides the 1K emblem , then it'd be cool. Also, maybe make the milestones not so frequent...perhaps 1K, 2K, 3K, 5K, 10K, 15K, 20K, 25K, 50K, 100K, etc...

fenyx4
April 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Whoa...um...well, there are several events and activities and stuff, LOL. And there are Emblem each New Year's and for some holidays, IIRC. D: I hope you can at least get another one, though.

But yeah, an '1000-posts Emblem' would be nice, since "thousand" is such a cherished number in these modern times... Blogs as a reward for the '5000-posts' mark are nice, too...though only if you're a supporter. >_> After the '10000-posts' mark, either a 5000 or 10000 post interval for another Emblem would be nice, with me leaning toward the former.

A million posts? 0_0 By the time someone reaches that, Pokemon will be over. (haha, yeah right. Bring on Generation M, woo! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL)

marz
April 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Your post count should be an emblem in itself. If you have x amount of posts, it shows in every single one of your posts. You don't need emblems to show it off on top of that.

And some people would spam just to get their post count up and be eligible for the emblems.

Kenshin5
April 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
If we are going to start at 1000 instead of doing one every 1000 post I would say either double it or increase the number a thousand each time. Like after you get 1000 the next one would be given at 3000 then after that 6000 and after that 1000 then 15000 and so on. And if this supposedly encourages spammers or low quality posting then that is what infractions and using the report button is for.

Melody
April 18th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I can see the logic in an emblem for 1k posts. Breaking your first thousand IS a milestone.
Nothing for 2-9k is needed. Perhaps an additional requirement that stipulates that you haven't been infracted for that first thousand or haven't been infracted more than once...this would discourage those who'd spam for the emblem.

I don't see a need for a 5k emblem, you get a blog then, we have a 10k emblem, and anything after that point is moot, because you'll be rolling in emblems anyways if you're not a mod or have been a mod by then...typically if you rack up that amount, you're almost sure a plausible candidate to become a mod if your activity is constant and behavior isn't too bad.

And yes I'm aware post count doesn't matter in mod considerations, but most of the people who HAVE reached that goal have probably been considered historically, even if they didn't get it.

Eliminator Jr.
April 22nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
I don't see what's so bad about the idea. Maybe not for every thousand posts, because that would be way too many emblems to give out, but maybe just a 1000, 5000 and 10000?

It's a nice idea, and I really don't see how it will disadvantage the forum - if somebody tries to spam to get their post count up they get infracted, simple as that. If somebody wants to post without putting much effort into their posts, let them. If they're not breaking any rules I don't see what the big fuss is about.

NatureKeeper
April 24th, 2011, 05:56 AM
It's almost my 3rd PokéCommunity Birthday, and I have only like, I don't know 950+ posts? Not everybody is a quick poster who can get as high as 10k or 5k posts, seriously. So, the emblems are a good idea overall.

seeker
April 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM
We already have rewards for getting 5k posts, 10k posts or someone who simply posts a great deal. To be true, I think post count shouldn't be of interest at any rate, I don't think it reflects upon anything, as it is a fairly useless statistic in some right, and I personally don't take a great deal of notice with it, so I do not think that it should be acclaimed, people should be rewarded for insightful posting, more so, not the quantity of posts, I think that quality of posting should far more over shine how often a person posts, even though activity is a desirable trait to see. But my point simply stands, that I think we should try award more insightful posting than quantity.

Melody
April 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM
The problem is that there isn't enough staff members to patrol for "meaningful" posts. Not to mention that "Meaningful" is subjective in the extreme and only people the staff member likes is likely to win such an emblem. I've seen this before with other emblems, so you can't pretend this isn't the case.

Also, since the staff never will list all the emblems that exist, how is the member base to know what they're awarded for to point out someone who obviously deserves an emblem?

donavannj
April 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM
The problem is that there isn't enough staff members to patrol for "meaningful" posts. Not to mention that "Meaningful" is subjective in the extreme and only people the staff member likes is likely to win such an emblem. I've seen this before with other emblems, so you can't pretend this isn't the case.

Also, since the staff never will list all the emblems that exist, how is the member base to know what they're awarded for to point out someone who obviously deserves an emblem?

You make it sound as though the staff are all of a hive mind. The staff are individuals who will cover a pretty broad spectrum of what is "meaningful" because they all have different interests and views on things.

Well, the staff only lists the general PC ones. The ones for individual boards are up to the moderators of those individual sections as to whether they want to make those known or not (at least, that's how I understand it to work), and for these you kinda have to frequent the section to know who'd be eligible anyways. Some of the others are from events run in the past and are no longer obtainable, and the rest are personal emblems that are up to the discretion of the individual staff members anyway, so there's no point in letting these be known who's is who's, because that would just lead to the inboxes of staff members being clogged up with trivial things like requesting that staff member's personal emblem, as opposed to more important matters like alerting about personal attacks, section-related requests, and alerting them of other members who're deserving of a non-personal, non-event emblem.

As for the matter at hand, I think an emblem for 1k wouldn't be a bad addition, though we don't need one for 5k or 10k because 5k has blogs and we already have one that covers 10k.

FreakyLocz14
April 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
How about an emblem for 1K, 10K, 100K, etc. You see the pattern, right?

BenVolio
April 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I'll have enough trouble getting to my 15. XD

No, in all seriousness, I've been on multiple forums where something like this was enabled and then removed because members would try to achieve the next highest reward for their post count faster, and faster, and faster.

Mr Cat Dog
April 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I don't mind the idea of 1k (as much as it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, seeing the number 1,000 next to your name does give a little sense of self-satisfaction), then every multiple of 5k. I know people get blogs after 5k, but giving them an emblem doesn't seem like that much extra work in the grand scheme of things, especially as it will take a fair while for people to even reach these milestones. Unless it is too much effort, on the other hand...

vaporeon7
April 27th, 2011, 04:17 AM
How about an emblem for 1K, 10K, 100K, etc. You see the pattern, right?

I don't see anyone ever reaching 100k but I think it will just encourage people who are post count obsessed like me to start spamming. Even though I am coming up to 1k.

Eliminator Jr.
April 27th, 2011, 04:42 AM
To be true, I think post count shouldn't be of interest at any rate, I don't think it reflects upon anything, as it is a fairly useless statistic in some right, and I personally don't take a great deal of notice with it, so I do not think that it should be acclaimed.
I think it's hard to say that post count is useless and not worthy of an emblem when we currently have a gender-bending emblem available. I couldn't care less about getting emblems myself, it's just I don't see why people are so opposed to this.