PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who star Elisabeth Sladen dies age 63!

Team Poison
April 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM
The BBC have reported that the actress who played one of Doctor Who's companion's has died at the age of 63 from cancer. Ms. Sladen played Sarah Jane Smith from the years 1973-2011 she was the the companion of the Third Doctor Jon Pertwee and Fourth Doctor Tom Baker met Tenth Doctor David Tennent and Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith and no one can forget the beloved K-9. She also had a spin off show "The Sarah Jane Adventure's" on CBBC in the UK.

Elisabeth Sladen
(01.02.1948-19.04.2011)
Are love and our hearts are with you.

Esper
April 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
This is sad. She died too young.

I've been watching through old DW episodes and am right in the middle of the seasons she stars in so it's going to be bittersweet watching the rest of those. Same thing happened a few months ago when Nicholas Courtney died. :(

Spherical Ice
April 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hm, I heard about that yesterday. I was pretty shocked.

I wonder if they're going to air the episodes of SJA that they'd completed and then make a new episode where SJ dies (or something, I read somewhere that the episode shows her going away with the Doctor though I doubt that'd happen as how would it be explained in DW?) or just not air the series at all.

Still, that's irrelevant. She's a great loss, and it sucked that she died at such a young age. >: RIP, Liz.

lx_theo
April 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Wow, I agree. She definitely died young.

Maybe it was the makeup, but she never seemed very old when she guess stared in the newer Doctor Whos. Truely sad.

Mr Cat Dog
April 20th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hm, I heard about that yesterday. I was pretty shocked.

I wonder if they're going to air the episodes of SJA that they'd completed and then make a new episode where SJ dies (or something, I read somewhere that the episode shows her going away with the Doctor though I doubt that'd happen as how would it be explained in DW?) or just not air the series at all.

Still, that's irrelevant. She's a great loss, and it sucked that she died at such a young age. >: RIP, Liz.

Three out of the six stories were filmed before Sladen's death, and I imagine they'll be the final ones. Unless there's a load of unused stock footage of her, it'd be really hard to not only write a memorial episode but to actually film it. The Sopranos had to spend $250,000 on CGI technology to help do a memorial episode to Nancy Marchand after her death from lung cancer, and I doubt CBBC has the budget for that.

Still, this is an enormously sad event and I feel sorry for her family most of all. I imagine the first episode of the new series of DW will be dedicated to her in some way, as a mark of respect.

Nuke
April 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Wow, I thought at the most she was in her 50s.

It is a great loss. RIP.

Misheard Whisper
April 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM
It was really sad to hear this . . . I didn't watch much DW, but what I did see was pretty awesome, and Sladen was in more than one of those episodes. People die too soon these days. Scratch that, people have been dying too soon for millenia, but it just seems like lots of famous people are going down the gurgler over the last couple of years. Michael Jackson, Diana Wynne Jones, Patrick Swayze, Elisabeth Sladen . . . Three of those four from some form of cancer, and I know there are more.

Destiny
April 28th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ack!
I'm too late.
This was unimaginably sad.
I couldn't believe it when I first heard it.
R.I.P Lis

Thomas
April 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I was really upset to hear about this. Doctor Who is one of my favorite TV shows, and while I never was a fan while she was on the show (I wasn't alive yet!) I do remember seeing her in the newer series, and watching a few episodes of SJA. It is always sad when this kind of thing happens so abruptly, and she will be missed by many including all of her fans.