PDA

View Full Version : Are you a closeted poke-fan?

ausnick
April 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I remember way back when I was 12-13 years old.. I loved pokemon! I was addicted, bought poke-merchandise, recorded the anime series and, proudly caught "all 150 pokemon" on my Pokemon Blue. :)

But I was bullied and teased relentlessly by my classmates as pokemon was "uncool" and was nothing more than a "childs game" and I was a fool for playing it.

Now, about 10 years later..I'm 23 and I've recently rediscovered pokemon and realise I still love playing! but I dare not tell others for fear of ridicule! :P

how about you guys? are you a closeted poke-fan or do you let the world know? lol

skppy1225
April 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with liking something. People shouldn't tease you because of something you like.

Almost everyone that knows me knows that I love Pokémon. It's kind of hard to hide when they walk into my room and see several plushies, a giant poster on my wall, and my trading card collection.

I'm 20, and yes, almost everyone knows that I love Pokémon.

ausnick
April 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Good on you! :)

I'm probably the minority here who feels the need to hide, oh well maybe I should be more like u (just without the plushies) :P

Zayin
April 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I tell everyone I play the games, or well they end up seeing me playing in class... but I don't tell most people I watch the anime. I openly make fun of myself for playing :P.

Arumus
April 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm 19 now, and I openly tell my mates I like Pokémon. You'll notice, the majority of people actually do like it as well, whether they admit it or not. We all played the games at some point.

Seeds Horizon
April 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Im in HS, and all my friends know I play Pokemon..Most of them play too! The rest really dont care..Unless we go all into PokeNerd- talk XD. But yeah, come out of the closet man! If anyone teases you, say "at least I dont listen to JB.." and when they say they dont say "mhmmm...sure *wink*" :P

vaporeon7
April 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM
No I don't think I could make it anymore obvious that I like Pokemon. My laptop has Pokemon desktops and I play the games in class. Everyone knows pretty much and I couldn't care less if anyone doesn't approve.

FalconsDrummer
April 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
It's a hobby for me, and most of my friends know about it. I don't like to talk about it in public where the conversation can be overheard, though. I'm 20 years old; it's sort of embarrassing when I'm in a quiet room on campus with a bunch of people and a friend comes up and says "hey, can you help me build a new Pokémon team??" rather loudly. That happened earlier today, actually. Ah well. I'm not ashamed.

zappyspiker
April 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Haha I never really hidden my love of pokemon. Maybe a little bit when I moved schools but one year after coming to a new school I've pretty open about it. In fact A LOT of my school knows I love pokemon and they think it's pretty cool. In fact I even used Pokemon as a base for my marijuana project for health XD I know I know, marijuana and pokemon don't mix and match but my health teacher loved it (It even got me full marks!) I'm not ashamed of my love of pokemon and I doubt I ever will be

PlatinumDude
April 20th, 2011, 11:07 PM
On a semi-daily basis, I freely admit that I play the Pokemon games. Sometimes, I see people in my school playing Pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM
I don't outright tell people that I play Pokemon, but if it comes up in conversation, I have no problem telling people that I play it. It's an awesome game, and I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Mr Cat Dog
April 21st, 2011, 06:11 AM
I don't outright tell people that I play Pokemon, but if it comes up in conversation, I have no problem telling people that I play it. It's an awesome game, and I have absolutely nothing to hide.

This, pretty much. I never start conversations with new people with "HI I'M JONATHAN AND LIKE POKEMON DO YOU LIKE POKEMON TOO?" but if it comes up organically in conversation, I have no problem admitting it. Most people get all nostalgic from when they used to play the games; at the worst, it's a weird look and then everyone's on with their lives again.

Zayin
April 21st, 2011, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty deceived about my classmates... I'm studying in computer engineering, you would expect most people to be gamers and a few to be Pokemon players... But no, I've not met a single one so far :(. Most show a bit of nostalgia, but laugh a bit at the same time. It's nothing mean so I don't care, but it's too bad I couldn't find anyone to trade and pvp with xD!!!

Reed
April 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM
Most of my friends have played pokemon at one point in their lives and loved it. We use to get together at Recess/break in elementary school and trade/talk about pokemon. Good times. Now i just play on raining days, but everyone knows that i still play pokemon.

Matt36
April 21st, 2011, 08:58 AM
I remember way back when I was 12-13 years old.. I loved pokemon! I was addicted, bought poke-merchandise, recorded the anime series and, proudly caught "all 150 pokemon" on my Pokemon Blue. :)

But I was bullied and teased relentlessly by my classmates as pokemon was "uncool" and was nothing more than a "childs game" and I was a fool for playing it.

Now, about 10 years later..I'm 23 and I've recently rediscovered pokemon and realise I still love playing! but I dare not tell others for fear of ridicule! :P

how about you guys? are you a closeted poke-fan or do you let the world know? lol

I'm the same. 22 now and I have the games, watch the Anime on CiTV and have the cards etc.

During school it was fine, till I got into year 7 and I stopped playing really. Decided to get HG when it came out and not looked back :)

eightbit
April 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
I don't go out of my way to broadcast it, but I'm not shy to admit I still like it when it comes up. Some kids on a field trip to the library gave me a "WTF" look over what I was playing on my DS while I was waiting there.

Aurora01
April 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'm really open about it, since I feel that there's nothing to be ashamed of.
In fact, if I meet someone new, I tell them that I love Pokemon outright. :D

Doppelgänger
April 21st, 2011, 11:44 AM
All my friends and people I talk to know I like to play the pokemon games, and they really don't judge me for it. Actually, some of my friends play also.

BlooMilk C.
April 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM
Well, as well as some other people here, people at my school who strive to be cool have declared that Pokémon is uncool, but I have no problem talking about it to my friends, because I know them well enough to know that they'll be my friends no matter what I like, so I can talk about Pokémon and say I like Pokémon. If someone's talking about Pokémon, I'll talk about it also, but if not, I keep it to myself.

FourCartridge
April 21st, 2011, 05:48 PM
I'm closeted in the sense I really don't bring it up but don't try to hide it. RL contact is few and far in-between anyway, so the issue never really came up to me.

2Cool4Mewtwo
April 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
I guess I'm lucky since basically 90% of my rl friends like to play pokemon. the other 10% are mostly neutral or have been exposed to other stuff like dragonball-z so they don't care about pokemon anyways.

Dark Piplup
April 22nd, 2011, 04:43 AM
Well I typically don't tell people I like it unless they tell someone or me. But I've found that the people who tease other people for liking it actually like it themselves. They are just under pressure for liking it.

Sabrewulf238
April 22nd, 2011, 06:35 AM
The way I see it now (and I'm 20), I don't go parading around saying that I like pokemon but if anyone were to say anything I wouldn't deny it either. When I was younger (about 13-15) I was bit nervous/embarrassed about it....not to the point that I'd stop but to the point where I'd be eager for nobody to know. I don't really care now, if somebody wants to act weird about it that really isn't my fault.

There's a guy in my class at college, I noticed he was looking at a pokemon website one day...not sure what to make of it.

You know, pokemon fans probably need to develop more of a backbone. If we all started dissing Call of Duty I'd bet most of it's fans would all bite back and not shy away all embarrassed. If you act embarrassed you're only feeding the idea that pokemon is for babies.

Ausnick, if they want to ridicule you. Let them....what's the worst that could happen? A few weird looks maybe? Some sniggering? Is that so painful? Is that not something you can get over? At least you'll be safe in the knowledge that you're not ashamed to like what you like. That's more important than being "cool".

Aura Rift
April 22nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Im 13 (14 in 3 days YAY) and I openly say I like Pokemon,however I do get ridiculed because of it........But I will never stop liking it EVER plus at least I know I wont get mocked here :D

Haberdasher
April 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'm eighteen, in college, and an open Pokemon fans. I check my Pokewalker in between classes, I'll even break out my DS every once in a while, and I talk to my friends about Pokemon very frequently. I have something of a reputation among my friends as being the girl who plays Pokemon all the time. I don't try to hide my love for Pokemon, and I'm certainly not ashamed of it either. :D

Anna
April 22nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
I think everyone that knows me knows I am a fan of Pokemon. There are still lots of people at my school who play, so it's not at all uncommon for people to be bickering about what Pokemon is best in the hall, or sneaking a check of their PokeWalker in class. Nobody really gets harassed about it.
I don't like... broadcast my love for Pokemon, but I talk about it a lot.

Sora
April 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Pretty much all of my friends know that I enjoy Pokemon. I go on PokeCommunity at College, Play the Pokemon Card Game... the list goes on. At my college, there really isn't a need to closet it, and if I did I wouldn't have gained the friends that I now have there.

Edsbob
April 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't say I'm a closet fan, but I suppose I don't talk about it too often. Good friends of mine just happen to also like Pokemon. I suppose I almost got insulted at school once in a 'You still play Pokemon? The new gen sucks!' sort of way. I just replied 'I like Pokemon, if offers many things other games don't. It's fun. Plus you've never even played fourth gen. No shame, more game.'

The next thing I know is that he's playing Pokemon (the older versions) again. And he's probably spread it around too. I think many people try to tease you in a half-assed manner because they fear persecution too. I know they want to play Pokemon, secretly... Hahaha.

Azure Rathalδs
April 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
I go to a secondary school and get dissed for liking pokemon. I get put out of groups and get attention when I don't want it. I wish they would forget that I'm into it. :( I now hide my liking for the series and try to keep it out of my mind when I'm near people my age, with the exception being other people into Pokemon.

donavannj
April 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
I am not a closeted fan. I mean, my Facebook profile picture is an Espeon, so if you can't tell I'm a PokeFan from that, then you probably aren't even aware Pokemon exists. XD I'm not a closet fan, either, though it's not something I outright tell people, simply because that takes effort.

Molts
April 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
I couldn't call myself a closet fan, it's not the very first thing I tell someone I've never met before, but when they inevitably ask me what games I play, its the first one I list. Being quite a large part of my entertainment my whole life, I'm definitely proud to be part of the community of other fans. XD

ausnick
April 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
lol, that this sounds very cool... all this is the first gaming community i've been a part of where there's no shortage of female gamers.. woo ;)

Rionix
April 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
People are just stereotyping... I hate it when someone tells me what to like. So what I do is I just don't care to what they say and continue what I do. Denying and hiding it doesn't help either, its a part of you and always will be. To hell with them, "mind your own business" - I used to tell them that.

Pyrax
April 23rd, 2011, 01:01 AM
Of course I'm a closeted fan.
You see, in my school, unless you do any of the following:

Go to all the parties
Play football
Watch the same crap that everyone watches
Play CoD, MWF, or any first person shooters

You're pretty much hated by the entire damn school.

Prof. Grove
April 23rd, 2011, 01:13 AM
It would be social suicide for me to tell people that I play Pokémon. I'm primarily on this site because I can speak about it freely without being ridiculed or hassled and that's how I intend to keep it, private.

Patchisou Yutohru
April 23rd, 2011, 01:16 AM
I think this screenshot speaks for itself. :)

https://img.skitch.com/20110423-perc1t2gkbfjgu8s5ti14myd2p.jpg

Also, the avatar I have right now is my profile picture on Facebook until I get bored of it... so.

Azure Revolver
April 23rd, 2011, 01:17 AM
Whenever someone tried to ridicule me for liking Pokemon, I kick their ass. Not afraid of ridicule at all, it just pisses me off.

Anyhow, I play pokemon and like it and all, but I wouldn't call myself a freak about it. I enjoy the main pokemon games, but I don't really think of much things other than that. As in, collecting Pokemon stuff, playing the card game, watching the crappy cartoon pokemon has, etc.

ausnick
April 23rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Of course I'm a closeted fan.
You see, in my school, unless you do any of the following:

Go to all the parties
Play football
Watch the same crap that everyone watches
Play CoD, MWF, or any first person shooters

You're pretty much hated by the entire damn school.

wow, that blows pyrax! it sucks to see that kids will never change =(

and to the guy who mentioned it would be a social suicide to confess your love of pokemon, LOL... don't feel too bad :)

EPikachu
April 28th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Wel as i harcore battler i can understand most peoples pain :(.
Like the other post unless you do "Popular things" at school youre
probably hated. Course i just let them role but my other friends who play it
just like to "flip them off" XD. But you know. Hater gonna hate.

Ces soirees-la
April 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Very, very deep in the closet.

Count
April 29th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I'm not. I used to be. I used to talk about Pokemon, saying I used to be a fan when I was younger. But now I'm older, I can talk about the newer generations as well. :p I tell people I bought the newest Pokemon game, and stuff like that. I go to college, and I think Pokemon is generally accepted in colleges? Probably because people in college are more mature and they learn to accept others even if they don't live life your way. Of course there are people that don't like it when you talk about it. But that's different, they're not hating or anything. =)

musesum626
April 29th, 2011, 04:30 AM
OK, so I know some people at my high school who have mentioned Pokemon and even that they got the new Black/White games. In fact, one time, someone had his DS out openly and was playing Platinum in the lunch line. If it comes up in conversation, I'll say small things like, "Yeah I just got Pokemon White."

But if I admitted that I like it this much (considering I'm on this forum), it would probably be socially devastating. I personally think there should be no problem if people like what they like, whether it's Pokemon or Call of Duty. But even if most people feel that way, no one's going to admit it, because of the social norms for teenagers and adults.

I mean it's not like I'm going to let people know I love doing Nuzlocke challenges and drawing Pokemon art.

Long story short, I'd be more open if everyone else was.

Amore
April 29th, 2011, 04:45 AM
People know that I play pokémon...they don't know just how into it I am.

ElectricScyther
April 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have never told any on of my friends I like pokemon. Seriously, I've nearly had heart attacks when people from my school bring the subject up. Like at lunch last year, one girl had a stack of pokemon cards, and people were laughing at her. I remember I turned away to hide my red face and shaky hands. I was like, "Oh crap, what if they do the same to me?"
Since then I haven't told anyone at all about my love of Pokemon, and I guess I never really talk about it outside of my home. But hey, that's why we have this forum.

Zayin
April 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I have never told any on of my friends I like pokemon. Seriously, I've nearly had heart attacks when people from my school bring the subject up. Like at lunch last year, one girl had a stack of pokemon cards, and people were laughing at her. I remember I turned away to hide my red face and shaky hands. I was like, "Oh crap, what if they do the same to me?"
Since then I haven't told anyone at all about my love of Pokemon, and I guess I never really talk about it outside of my home. But hey, that's why we have this forum.
Just say you know some 20+ years old people who play ;). And I'm not mentally retarded =D!

It's so funny. Yesterday, I was waiting for my last final exam with a friend and overheard a guy who said "You know... when I wake up in the morning and notice no one's home... I watch Pokemon!!!!". I was like LOL. I wouldn't brag like that, but still that was really funny.

Neiko Star
April 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Eh, there's no problem for me really. It's not like I'm the only one in my class. Nearly all of my friends play Pokemon too. I've never seen anyone ridiculed for liking it before. (Then again, I don't know many people outside of my class.) But I don't think anybody in my class would bully somebody else because they like Pokemon. My class is full of crazy people.

...also known as and acknowledged by all the teachers as the most immature class, EVER.

Rai
April 29th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Nope :3

I where my pokewalker all around campus, I where pokemon apparal often and I am on this site right now in the busiest computer lab at my college xD

I am not closeted at all. I love pokemon and I am not afraid to show it. I am known as a pokenerd and I love it <3

Krovvy
April 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I don't outwardly bring it out in conversation, but if I'm asked, I won't deny it. I like to make a joke out of it if I'm made fun of.

Raiskit
April 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I don't show it off or anything; but I don't try to hide it or anything. I'll talk about it in public, but only if I know for sure that the person 'm with won't ,like, say it stinks or something.

BenjiTheKid
April 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
It's odd to think that back in the R/B/Y days Pokemon was uncool somewhere. In my area, everyone who was anyone was playing Pokemon. Even high school kids and adults! People in my area were bullied if they didn't play Pokemon. lol

Still, nowadays, it isn't so cool here any more, either. You're not bullied for liking it, though. It's just more of a "You're a nerd." type thing. I don't outright tell everyone I meet "I like Pokemon," but I don't hide it, either. There's this one GameStop employee that plays Pokemon, too and whenever I have any questions about the games, I go to him. But other than that, I don't know anyone who really makes a hobby of playing the games. My sister does occasionally, but not as a 'hobby'.

Like I said, though, I don't hide that I play it. If someone sees me playing my DS and asks me what I'm playing, I'll tell them "Pokemon." I see no reason to be ashamed. It's just a hobby. Besides, I have a Neopets account... if my friends don't make fun of me for that, why would they pick on me for playing Pokemon, right? lol

NightOfRemorse
April 29th, 2011, 06:35 PM
At my school (it's a high school, mind you) a great majority of the students like Pokémon. When HGSS first came out, everybody was walking around with their good 'ole pokéwalkers. Last year during the rallies, even one of the themes was Pokémon! So yeah, I'm pretty open about it, haha.

Me: *screams out loud to my friend* HEY YOU, YOU'RE BATTLING ME TODAY AT FIVE. SINGLES. NO UBERS.

xD

musesum626
April 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
At my school (it's a high school, mind you) a great majority of the students like Pokémon. When HGSS first came out, everybody was walking around with their good 'ole pokéwalkers. Last year during the rallies, even one of the themes was Pokémon! So yeah, I'm pretty open about it, haha.

Me: *screams out loud to my friend* HEY YOU, YOU'RE BATTLING ME TODAY AT FIVE. SINGLES. NO UBERS.

xD

Wow. I wish my school was like yours XD

One time that same person who was playing Platinum in the lunch line taped a bunch of Pokemon cards to someone's locker XD It was pretty funny, actually, and no one really said anything mean. So it's not that bad; people don't bully others or anything if Pokemon comes up.

Haowakeorden
April 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm 20 and I just finished 3rd year university. I've been (back) into Pokémon since 2006, and pretty much all my friends know I like Pokémon. If I'm around people for long enough eventually they'll figure out somehow that I like Pokémon (either I tell them, or they see me playing one of the games), but so far the "worst reaction" is just indifference.

Leany
April 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I was a closet fan for quite awhile, but when I started wearing my pokewalker out in public, there was no going back. XD

The people I talk to about it just usually smile at my "childness" and move along with their day. Luckily, I've never had anyone tease me for it. c:

Crystalized
April 29th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I actually feel really bad because most of my friends pick on the nerds that do play Pokemon, and a few weeks back my friend stepped on somebody's Pokewalker. So nobody execpt me knows that I play Pokemon, which is nice.

jigglyppuff8
April 29th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Yes and no. Like most hobbies, I'll willingly admit I'm a fan to those who ask or care, but I'm not going to act like a fanboy and constantly bring it up, praise it, whatnot. I'll play it in public too, but I won't like make a big deal to try and show everyone.

Alternative
April 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm definitely no closet poké-fan. Back when I was in my last year at school, I would take my DS to school all the time and play it in the middle of classes, and other people wouldn't care. In fact, some people would join in.

Gee, my last year of school was great. I even did a school project on Pokemon. :D

Route 18
May 1st, 2011, 04:36 AM
Not at all. Everyone knows that I play Pokemon anyway, so it's not a big deal for me anymore. If someone asks me if I play Pokemon, I won't hesitate to say yes. There was a phase when I was very self-concious of everything I did and I wouldn't really tell the world that I played Pokemon, but now I'm pretty embracing of myself and my interests. :3

Pika-power
May 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
If I told anyone in my grade I liked pokemon I would be shunned XD

So yes, I have to be a closeted Poke-fan.

Soul Eater
May 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
No, I'm not. I'll bust out my DS while on break at work, and play Black, with the sound on. /no shame

All of my friends know, and also most of them play it themselves.

PartiallyInsaneWhimsicott
May 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
See, there's conflict.

My closest friends know I play Pokemon, and my other friends don't. See, my school is very bully-free and people don't ridicule, and they're very good to husky people like me. :3 And there's this cool kid who's no closet fan, and he even wears Pikachu t-shirts. I know other kids that like it too, and even if I don't know them, I see it in their activities and even clothing. I was in luch detention (ooh, naughty) and this one girl was giggling, cause my teacher had a class then, and she asked me--wait for it--if I wanted to see her Pikachu. I was like "Uh...ok." But anyway, she's a cool kid, apparently, and she is NO closet fan either. But my friends that are, like, WAY up there in the food chain (and I even have direct links if I didn't have any friends there; my Mom--*red lights and sirens*--knows everyone's mom. And I mean it), and because they, they being my "up-there" friends, kinda look down on open fans--not that they're mean, just...unconvinced of it awesomeness. So I has a dilemma. But I'll figure it out. I've done it before. And before I go...

...POKEMON FTW!!!11!1!11!!! :cer_boogie:

nsunshine
May 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
I've just rediscovered pokemon too!!! I was teased when I went to school and collected but never told anyone!!! Now that I'm much older, I display my collections with pride, its ok to have been a closeter when you was in high school, but now that ur an adult you should be proud, because obviously they are something you liked for all this time, so you must be a little proud of it!!!

solarowl
May 2nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
I obviously don't announce to the world I like Pokemon, but I don't mind If people know. I get teased every once in a while, but I don't really care. XD

Oharo
May 2nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Nah. Most of the people around me used to play Pokemon. I'm not exactly unpopular in the school too. I felt a little nostalgic after seeing Black & White come out. I whipped out my good ol' Gameboy, announced that I wanted to buy a DS and now everyone around me wants to get a DS to play Pokemon too.

So I suppose it's getting popular around my cohort in this school. Nothing to hide. Except the fact that i'm on a Pokemon forum though.

Osha_say_wott?!
May 5th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I've never hidden the fact that I'm a Pokémon fan. I'm not a pokémaniac that goes around shouting that I love pokémon to everyone I meet, either. I have another interest I do that with. xD

Kea
May 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I used to be ashamed in elementary, middle, and parts of high school, but now I really don't care. XD I think everyone has played or still plays Pokemon now... it's not uncommon.

Reminds me of that Awkward Zombie comic, really. I'd post the comic here but I can't derp.

bwburke94
May 9th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I'm a college student, and I still play regularly. Most college students were 5-9 years old when Red and Blue came out, so...

Actually, I didn't have any Pokémon games until I bought Platinum last year. I'm probably the only Pokémon-playing college student in Massachusetts who has never owned a Gen I or II game.

Naruto Uzumaki
May 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Closeted. Nobody knows except for my mom, dad and sister. I'd be the laughing stock of my school if anyone found out D:

Halcyon
May 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Nope. I'm sure most of the people I know got to play Pokémon in some point of time. I believe they know and I don't mind admitting to it. :) Besides, I do bring my Pokéwalker to school too, it's fun. XD

LatiasSoulDew
May 17th, 2011, 10:58 PM
No.
Although I'm not intentionally tell the people around me, when the time to telling the truth has come I will just honestly tell them the truth. And by chance I do not meet a problem by telling the truth to the people around me.

Brane
May 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Closeted. Nobody knows except for my mom, dad and sister. I'd be the laughing stock of my school if anyone found out D:

I think the school is the laughing stock.

They should be ashamed of themselves, not liking Pokemon. What has this world come to?

I'm open and proud, my friends are too, we're the generation that grew up with Pokemon season 1, and all the games came out as we aged. It was such a simpler time.

ArtekOublier
May 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Some people are lucky that everyone they know doesn't diss them for liking what they like. Others are not so lucky and yeah i do feel bad for them.

People younger than me liked Pokémon, my brother and I collected the unofficial cards and swapped some with a girl two houses down from us.
My first Game was Pokémon Yellow and I couldn't stop playing.
After Crystal I stopped and took a break and missed the 3rd Gen until I met my now partner who was obsessed with the cards , the games and even drew out his own. I almost "had" to become obsessed again.
We have constant discussions about biological theories surrounding Pokémon and the likes and try to make it just as mature as it were a "grown-up" thing. Why do you think people IV and EV train to make their Pokémon battle? 5 and 6 years olds aren't gonna understand that are they?

I'll be 26 in October and that doesn't mean a thing. Think of the 70+ year old woman who enters the championships, think of all the artists of the cards...game directors and Satoshi Tajiri himself, what age are they?
Yes Pokémon has a specific demographic, but not everyone falls into that, I have a Grandmother who still plays Pikmin and Legend of Zelda.

Most of my classmates at Uni who are 6 or 7 years younger than I talk about it as if it was the in thing when they were younger, but they were probably too young to remember properly. They still talk about the first gen...and nothing else.

People who make fun of others who are interested in something like Pokémon always have a preconceived idea about it, like it's childish and its for babies. If they understood most of the mechanics of the game they'd be surprised how grown up it can be. Most of the people who diss other people are the sort of folk who constantly play shoot em ups (no disrespect meant) or beat other folk, and what's so mature about that, picking on people and playing with guns? It's kinda the same and being in a war where most of these people end up (again no disrespect meant) which is just a big game of hide and seek...with guns.

And so I rest my case.

I do not transmit my love of the franchise but I will often put it in my list of likes on other sites or to people who ask.
It's just like me being a Céline Dion fan, not many people like her, although being one of the best selling females artists in history.
You have to be open to others, that's all, and not be afraid.

Sodom
May 18th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Not at all lol, I wear my badge with pride. Everyone who's been in my room can see the DVDs lined up in my TV show collection...

BattleBeard
May 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I'm a very open person, yet I'm homeschooled and I only have one IRL friend. He thinks Pokemon is just bad and boring. He rather play his PS2 all day. Yet I've played the game countless times around him, and yes, we are best friends. He thinks I'm a Pokenerd, and yes, I am. He knows I may have a fetish for Pokemon.

Anyways, don't be afraid to tell anyone about it, because it most likely, won't change your stance on them, if it's bad or good, it won't change. Most likely.

Hybrid Trainer
May 18th, 2011, 07:19 AM
My friends know i play pokemon, but i don't think they know just how much of a fan i actually am xD

o3o
May 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM
My closer friends do know I play Pokémon, but none of them play it themselves, so I don't bring it up that much~ I wouldn't want everyone to know I play Pokémon though, because once someone brought it up in class, and everyone started laughing. :<

Kenpokid
May 18th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Who would closet it?
For me, it's obvious (I recently got Ruby, Emerald, and Blue for Christmas, and I have Blue out in the open XD), considering my desktop is FILLED with 386 patches.

Masqueraine
May 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Somewhat. I might bring it up with friends who I know play it as well, but there are a lot of people I specifically would never want to know that I play.

SuperSaiyanII
May 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I was one back in 6th grade but after that I just stopped caring for the most part. My closest friends know I still play it, but I know there's just some people who shouldn't know, I worked too hard building up a reputation in high school for that.

Binary
May 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I don't really care about what other people think about my interests; I don't mind their perceptions. Most of my family knows I like Pokemon, and my friends do too. And they don't really mind. Some of them play Pokemon too, and in Primary school we would have TCG tournaments, R/S/E battles and whatnot. :D

mondays suck
May 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Grrr, I just accidentally used some keyboard shortcut that deleted my already almost finished post. Didn't even know that's actually possible without quitting the page. Oh well, it wasn't that long...

Sort of. Only my friends know I play Pokemon from time to time, what they don't know is that when I do play it's usually quite excessive. Anyone else? Not their business.

DeckCadetTzipi
May 21st, 2011, 03:23 AM
Totally closeted fan. No one knows I still love playing Pokemon and have the Pokemon cards. I can't really be bothered with people making fun.

RyanGT
May 21st, 2011, 04:02 AM
I don't go out of my way to let people know I play Pokemon but if someone asks, or if Pokemon comes up in a conversation, I have no problem with people knowing I play Pokemon.

Darthrai
May 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM
It goes either way for me. Pokemon is popular at my school and with my peers, but my dad seems to be secretly ashamed of me liking Pokemon (openly called it a "kindergarten game" at one point) and seems to think that I should like Call of Duty instead like all of the other Xbox Live-worshipping brainwashed zombies in my demographic. So I try to bring up Pokemon as little as possible around him.

Maple Leaf
May 21st, 2011, 06:53 AM
Outside of the Internet world, I'm closeted, yes.

Maybe three people know? xD

Iqid Loopz
May 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I am sort of, kind of. I'm 19 and the people I hang around with probably thing I'm sort of...nuts. But I'll simply say Pokemon was the **** back in the day , probably agree but I only tell people who relate to me and agree.

Unknown#
May 22nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not. My family knows I play it and several play/have recently played it and know I play it and all of my other friends really don't care.

JamesJL98
May 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Definitely a closeted fan. A few years ago, everyone loved Pokemon, you could get a reputation for your battling skills there. That was junior school.. the next year everyone decided that they were "too grown up" for Pokemon. Even me. For a short while, at least.. Later that same year, I rediscovered Pokemon, and now I'm addicted. But if I were to tell anyone that, I would be picked on really badly. So no one knows. I'm even secretive about purchasing the games now. Not many people know my mum, so I send her off to buy them for me, all secretive like.

Water Master Roxy
May 25th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I don't let anyone know I like Pokemon because of being teased. But if I find someone who really likes Pokemon and get to know them and be friends with them then I might tell them. But I do know some people who play Pokemon at school and my friends and I tease them. I know im horrible.

Bluerang1
May 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM
No. I'm too cool o be socially damaged xD I don't know what schools in America will be like but my London friends couldn't care less, though there was one little, and I mean little, jive at it. While another got interested :)

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
May 25th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Sadly, for now I have to be. My friends wouldn't get it, I know they wouldn't it. My brother walked in on me the other day watching the anime, and he was like "Are you watching pokémon?" and I was like "yeah" completely unashamed and he was like "I miss pokémon, like waking up on Saturday mornings just to watch it" and I was like "those were the days!" so it was kinda nice to have that :)

I'm going to Uni this year, so hopefully if I get close to people and I find out they like pokémon, I'll be able to share it at last with people :) For now though, I remain closeted.

ManhattanTheStarr
May 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not really a closet Pokemon fan, but I'm not extremely open about it. It's not that I'm scared of being ridiculed, it's just that every time it DOES happen, I get extremely pissed off. I mean really, people can be so ignorant about it. T_T But if Pokemon were to come up in a conversation, I wouldn't try to hide the fact that I like it. I can't lie, I used to be a closet Pokemon fan, but when I look back on those days, I feel that I was being pretty pathetic to care that much about what people thought about me. =/

JALEEMEE
May 25th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I deff hide it from people. Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to tell everyone about it. I'm sorry, but for those who say "I love pokemon and if people make fun of me and laugh at me I dont care!"" - I think thats absolutely ridiculous. We are social creatures, pokemon is fun but having friends and stable relationships with people is much more fun than any game out there. I think you can like something, but if you know it will create a socially unstable environment for you then don't tell people. It would be extremely tough to have relationships with people who think Pokemon is just a kids game. No one knows I like it and no one will. It is something just for me that I enjoy. When I am with my friends/girls/adults ect.. I am not going to say a word about it. If you want to be socially successful and treated like an adult you have to portray yourself as one outside of the pokemon realm. Thats just my take on it.

ThisOrTheApocalypse
May 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I think being ashamed of something like that is sort of ridiculous. People like what they like. Me and some of my friends have open conversations about the games, etc. I'll even break out my iPod Touch and start playing my ROM's in class if I'm bored.

Zayin
May 25th, 2011, 06:25 PM
It's funny, yesterday I was playing Pokemon in the metro like usual and noticed that a girl about my age was repeatedly staring at my screen. I looked at her for a sec and noticed she had a big Kangaskhan keychain tied to her bag :P. Us fans might not be as rare as we think haha.

I deff hide it from people. Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to tell everyone about it. I'm sorry, but for those who say "I love pokemon and if people make fun of me and laugh at me I dont care!"" - I think thats absolutely ridiculous. We are social creatures, pokemon is fun but having friends and stable relationships with people is much more fun than any game out there. I think you can like something, but if you know it will create a socially unstable environment for you then don't tell people. It would be extremely tough to have relationships with people who think Pokemon is just a kids game. No one knows I like it and no one will. It is something just for me that I enjoy. When I am with my friends/girls/adults ect.. I am not going to say a word about it. If you want to be socially successful and treated like an adult you have to portray yourself as one outside of the pokemon realm. Thats just my take on it.

That's pretty sad if you ask me. If people make fun of you just for liking a game, then they're not worth it for sure. I truly couldn't care less if someone looked at me weirdly for playing. The ones who don't mind it are much worth talking to. Most of my friends don't give a crap about Pokemon, but they're still my friends. Liking Pokemon doesn't mean I can't be treated like an adult. If I need to discuss serious matters, then I do... There's a difference between being a Pokemon fan and having nothing else to talk about.

Just like what you want to like (unless it's criminal obviously) and let the stupid people be :).

JALEEMEE
May 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
It's funny, yesterday I was playing Pokemon in the metro like usual and noticed that a girl about my age was repeatedly staring at my screen. I looked at her for a sec and noticed she had a big Kangaskhan keychain tied to her bag :P. Us fans might not be as rare as we think haha.

That's pretty sad if you ask me. If people make fun of you just for liking a game, then they're not worth it for sure. I truly couldn't care less if someone looked at me weirdly for playing. The ones who don't mind it are much worth talking to. Most of my friends don't give a crap about Pokemon, but they're still my friends. Liking Pokemon doesn't mean I can't be treated like an adult. If I need to discuss serious matters, then I do... There's a difference between being a Pokemon fan and having nothing else to talk about.

Just like what you want to like (unless it's criminal obviously) and let the stupid people be :).

My point is not that pokemon fans purely talk about pokemon. My point is that in this day and age, if you are over a certain age pokemon is seen to be something childish (which obviously isnt true to us). I'm not saying that you can't have friends being a pokemon fan, but realistically people would find that strange and be turned off by you in social situations (potentially people who could be your great friends otherwise). All I am saying is that pokemon is not something I need to talk about with my friends, I can enjoy it by myself and with the Pokecommunity (love ya guys lol). You don't have to say "I like pokemon and I'm going to tell everyone and whoever thinks its wierd is a jerk," because it is VERY likely that most people will find it wierd.

Zayin
May 26th, 2011, 03:20 PM
My point is not that pokemon fans purely talk about pokemon. My point is that in this day and age, if you are over a certain age pokemon is seen to be something childish (which obviously isnt true to us). I'm not saying that you can't have friends being a pokemon fan, but realistically people would find that strange and be turned off by you in social situations (potentially people who could be your great friends otherwise). All I am saying is that pokemon is not something I need to talk about with my friends, I can enjoy it by myself and with the Pokecommunity (love ya guys lol). You don't have to say "I like pokemon and I'm going to tell everyone and whoever thinks its wierd is a jerk," because it is VERY likely that most people will find it wierd.
I didn't say your point was that Pokemon fans only talk about Pokemon; it was just an example :).

I am myself "too old" to like Pokemon, especially since I don't only play the game, but watch the anime too. I play Pokemon all the time in class and I still make new friends. Most people who see me just say "haha I used to like Pokemon" and don't talk about it again. They don't start avoiding me or anything... Thus I can say it didn't affect my relationships with others. I agree most people will find it weird, but they won't run away from you either. I actually can't even think of anyone who stopped talking to me because of it. One can be a sane and interesting person even if having a "weird" interest and most people I met seemed to understand that.

PokeFan2014
June 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I admit to being a 15 year old, closeted pokefan!

The Nightmare
June 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I don't really try to hide it but I do sometimes to some people I don't want to show it to.
I loved pokemon when I was 7 or 8 when me and my sister played leafgreen and so on but now I am 12 so still a kid.

Weavile05
June 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
If you ask me, trying to hide it just gives people more reason to pick on you when they do find out. I play it in my guitar class, since my teacher always ends the class before the bell rings, and I know two other people in that class who play it, and everybody else either never bothered to notice or don't care. I don't get picked on at all in that class, and I never get an opportunity for anyone to find out in my other classes (though there are a few people that would pick on me there) but if they did find out and did start picking on me I'm the kind of guy that rolls with the punches. They tell me it's a child's game, I'll confuse them by telling them how to EV train. You sure it's for little kids now?

IceSage
June 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM
No, nobody cared that I played Pokemon. If someone had a problem with it, I'd introduce them with a few "kind words..."

Nobody would dare "beat me up" over it.

Of course, at the same time, pretty much all through high school we criticized this nerd with aspergers for playing Pokemon 24/7, bringing it to school and stuff. He even dressed up as Ash Ketchum and was proud of it.

He was one of those kids who honestly thought he was "better and smarter" than everyone. (Yes, he honestly said that.)

He ended up staying back 2 grades, and one time, got suspended from school for lude conduct in English class. (You don't want to know.)