PDA

View Full Version : Consciously "Evil" Pokemon?

FourCartridge
April 23rd, 2011, 02:30 AM
Through the years and generations we've encountered Team Rocket, Plasma, and other baddies who seem to use Pokemon for their own devious ends, almost always human. A thought just came into my mind; Would/Does there exist a Pokemon who bears ill will towards the world and/or wishes to see it's inhabitants suffer?

shengar
April 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM
I think wild Gengar and Haunter in general is rather mischievous if not evil for consuming other's shadow for their own satisfaction.

Aura Rift
April 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM
Usually when people think about this idea they immediately think about pokemon like Darkrai but I dont think Darkrai is actually evil,so if there is an "Evil" pokemon out there I dont think Nintendo has made it yet

Rionix
April 23rd, 2011, 03:24 AM
I can only think of the dark counterparts of pokemons.. Other than that, I don't think pokemons has any evilness in them. Its just their trainer thats evil thats why they too do evil things.

Niprop
April 23rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
Spirtomb's existence has be stated to be specifically due to its own misdeeds, and most depictions of it show it as a malicious being content with destroying things for the heck of it. On the converse however, in the Mystery Dungeon series, when a Spiritomb is met, Grovle states that it only acts so hostile because of the disturbance of time.

Other Pokémon like Genosect, Ramparados and Rhyhorn could also be considered rather savage creatures in contrast to other Pokémon, but that's due to their more primitive, animal-like instinct.

A slew of Pokémon that could be considered truly evil are actually corrupted by humans, such as Bannete, Porygon-Z, and Mewtwo, and their hostile actions and savage nature are due to this.

CliveKoopa
April 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
There are no evil pokemon except for those in the Mystery Dungeon games and to some extent, TR's Meowth.

Amore
April 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Uhh...Hydreigon?

Its' pokédex entries (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hydreigon_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries)

Unlike Gyarados, it doesn't even need to be provoked to kill...and if you read Deino and Zweilous' entries, it's been like that all the time...from an innocent brutality, to squabbling between heads, to general carnal cruelty.

jcsimpson
April 23rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
In the anime I think Meowth says that there is "No such thing as an evil Pokemon, just evil trainers". I don't think he used the world evil, I think he said bad.

Seeds Horizon
April 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Well, the Pokes nature is reflected from their trainer I believe, so if the trainer is bad, then so is the Poke. Also, if the Poke did bad things, even if it was the trainer telling it to do it, it is still bad right? So in essence, I think if the trainer is bad so is the Poke. Pokes like Mewtwo and Haunter (Haunter was a sort of toned down evil) arent truly bad I think, well Haunter is just...Naughty lol. Mewtwo was doing that because of his scarred past..But thinking now..Maybe he was bad.

Arumus
April 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Nothing is born evil, so no there isn't an evil Pokémon. Gengar and Haunter look quite evil, but they have been shown to be playful Pokémon. Remember when Haunter joined Ash for the couple of episodes? Gastly and Gengar were playing with Ash, not really an evil Pokémon tbh.

Zeta Patchouli
April 23rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Depends on the individual pokemon. They seem to be somewhat capable of taking sides, so there COULD be an Evil pokemon as we know it. Of course, in its opinion, it isn't evil, but everything else is. No one would identify themselves as evil, for they would see their opponents as evil.

Technically, any pokemon that is a predator to another pokemon is evil to the prey. Any pokemon who hurts another pokemon could be seen as evil to the injured pokemon. It all depends on context.

There is no more evil pokemon then there is evil people. In the right state of mind, what can be seen as evil, could actually be good to them.

I have no clue if this rant is coherent, due to sleeping troubles, and exhaustion, so yeah. This is, I think, what I mean to say.

Seeds Horizon
April 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Depends on the individual pokemon. They seem to be somewhat capable of taking sides, so there COULD be an Evil pokemon as we know it. Of course, in its opinion, it isn't evil, but everything else is. No one would identify themselves as evil, for they would see their opponents as evil.

Technically, any pokemon that is a predator to another pokemon is evil to the prey. Any pokemon who hurts another pokemon could be seen as evil to the injured pokemon. It all depends on context.

There is no more evil pokemon then there is evil people. In the right state of mind, what can be seen as evil, could actually be good to them.

I have no clue if this rant is coherent, due to sleeping troubles, and exhaustion, so yeah. This is, I think, what I mean to say.

Ahh,...What you say makes perfect sense..Like if you were crazy, technically you wouldnt be crazy as you would think yourself sane, and if you thought yourself crazy you would be sane, but from others point of view you would be insane, and they would be insane to you since they would be different right? >_>. So, its just a matter of opinions and differences.

CliveKoopa
April 23rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
In the anime I think Meowth says that there is "No such thing as an evil Pokemon, just evil trainers". I don't think he used the world evil, I think he said bad.

No, it was Ekans and Koffing who said that when Meowth said "We're all bad guys, we don't need trainers to tell us to do bad things,".

The things Meowth says in Island of the Giant Pokemon proves he is consciously bad and is shocked when Ekans and Koffing tell him the supposed truth.

"It can't be. My master's not around and I always act like a rat".

Mahou Tsukai
April 24th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I think hitomoshi (ヒトモシ) is a candidate. From what I know from the anime, they live to suck the life-force from people and pokemon, killing their victims (by sending them to the other world).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 24th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Pikachu, obviously, is the most brutally and mercilessly evil Pokemon out there.

Most Pokemon that are savage by nature are that way because of survival instincts in the wild. Many Ghost-types feed off the negative energies of humans, and so they frighten or corrupt their minds so they release that energy.

With the possible exception of said Ghost-types (and most of them just stir up trouble rather than doing some truly merciless things) Pokemon in their natural states aren't evil, they may behave that way to eat and survive. Humans can corrupt Pokemon (see Shadow Pokemon in Colo and XD) and Elite Overlord LeSabre™ has made his Pokemon so evil they orchestrate massive international Ponzi schemes.

Nilz
April 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Dunsparce is evil!!!! (you all know its true).

ZeviL
April 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Might as well ask, "are animals evil?" Which of course, there is no such thing. I imagine Pokemon as some kind of animals. They do what they have to in order to survive, even if it means killing other animals.

ekkotekk
April 25th, 2011, 02:37 AM
mewtwo was pretty conscoius. Could talk too just to make it that bit more obvious :P

BenVolio
April 25th, 2011, 02:42 AM
MewTwo was created, he was bound to be pretty messed up from the start.

I don't think any of them are intentionally evil. They're pretty innocent, until molded by humans.

CliveKoopa
April 25th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Might as well ask, "are animals evil?" Which of course, there is no such thing. I imagine Pokemon as some kind of animals. They do what they have to in order to survive, even if it means killing other animals.

Pokemon are far more intelligent than animals and know the difference between right and wrong.

vaporeon7
April 25th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Anyone remember in "Island of the Giant Pokemon" where Ekans and Koffing stated that no Pokemon was 'evil' and they just follow the command of their evil trainers. Meowth said he was the exception though.

Hermione Granger
April 25th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Pokemon are far more intelligent than animals and know the difference between right and wrong.
Pokemon are like animals, just a bit more intelligent. But their instincts, without trainers, is exactly like animals.

Mischievous Pokemon, I believe there is. But Pokemon that are evil by nature? That's something I can't say I'm quite sure. Pokemon are intelligent enough to survive on their own in the wild, they also perhaps has enough intelligence to make their own decisions. Perhaps Pokemon that wants revenge against humans. I still can't quite say for sure, as I'm no Pokemon expert.

CliveKoopa
April 25th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Anyone remember in "Island of the Giant Pokemon" where Ekans and Koffing stated that no Pokemon was 'evil' and they just follow the command of their evil trainers. Meowth said he was the exception though.

Did you read my earlier post on that? That's basically what I said too.

"We're all bad guys. We don't need masters to go out and do bad things."

Pokemon are like animals, just a bit more intelligent. But their instincts, without trainers, is exactly like animals.

Mischievous Pokemon, I believe there is. But Pokemon that are evil by nature? That's something I can't say I'm quite sure. Pokemon are intelligent enough to survive on their own in the wild, they also perhaps has enough intelligence to make their own decisions. Perhaps Pokemon that wants revenge against humans. I still can't quite say for sure, as I'm no Pokemon expert.

Pokemon kidnap humans who they want revenge against like that Swampert in one episode. You don't see animals kidnapping humans or indeed other animals. Also Pokemon can understand human speech as well as other pokemon.

Hermione Granger
April 25th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Pokemon kidnap humans who they want revenge against like that Swampert in one episode. You don't see animals kidnapping humans or indeed other animals. Also Pokemon can understand human speech as well as other pokemon.
I said Pokemon are like animals but they are more intelligent. I was pertaining to their instincts being the same, not intelligence.

Mahou Tsukai
April 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Perhaps Pokemon that wants revenge against humans.
I'm reminded of Arceus. It wanted to destroy humanity after what they did to him thousands of years ago.

Zayin
April 25th, 2011, 08:12 PM
The only evil Pokemon I think of is Litwick and its evos. Look at the episode ;_;. They're so cruel!

Simon Alexander
April 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Depends on how you view evilness and how you view pokemon, honestly.

There have been pokemon in-game and in-anime that have done some pretty evil things. Ghost pokemon tend to bother humans and, in recent games, suck out souls and other creepy things, though since it's in the Dex, that could just be folklore. Some pokemon moves seem rather unnecessarily violent, though, like Wring Out >>

And in the anime, there was Mewtwo who wanted to trap trainers on his island and use them to make his own clones, then had all of them fight each other beyond exhaustion. That's pretty "evil" but he also had legit reasons behind his actions and eventually redeemed himself in the end. Unown seem pretty malicious, in both the movie and in the actual show. Legendaries in general tend to be destructive and violent towards each other, which can throw off the balance of the world.

I don't think there are "evil" pokemon, but there can be pokemon with malicious intent, much like humans. And of course, humans can and do influence their pokemon. I believe in an issue of PokeSpe, Red and Blue's pokemon got switched and when they were returned to their original trainers, their behavior had changed from being with different trainers.

Pika-power
April 28th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Probably Persian.. it has that evil look..

Mahou Tsukai
April 29th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Probably Persian.. it has that evil look..

Do you have a dislike for cats?

Pika-power
May 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
No, I love cats but Persian looks evil XD

NamelessGuy
May 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Gengar has a malicious personality. So do most Ghost-types.

Bernardo1994
May 1st, 2011, 03:55 PM
In my opinion most Ghost type Pokémons have an evil side, in B/W that fact continues with Liteick pretending to shine a light just to fed itself of others' souls

2Cool4Mewtwo
May 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
In my opinion most Ghost type Pokémons have an evil side, in B/W that fact continues with Liteick pretending to shine a light just to fed itself of others' souls
Yeah, so do dark-types also.

The Noob Hacker
May 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
Well since in Pokemon, the anime especially, they like to portray Pokemon as sentient and intelligent beings, then it would be entirely possible for any Pokemon to be "evil". I use evil in quotes because I don't believe in the concepts of good and evil.

However, if you view them in a more animistic sense, then Pokemon could not possibly know the difference between what is "right" and what is "wrong". In that case, an "evil" Pokemon would depend on if the trainer was "evil".

Yet, even if Pokemon are sentient and intelligent, they still must follow wills of their trainers, no matter what. Even though in the anime, it doesn't always work like that. Yet other times, Koffing and Ekans, who apparently weren't "evil" yet had to do as commanded because of their trainers. Pokemon is fun like that, it has no set rules and changes the few abstracts it has as it goes along.

So really, it all depends how you interpret Pokemon.

jcsimpson
May 2nd, 2011, 12:56 AM
No, it was Ekans and Koffing who said that when Meowth said "We're all bad guys, we don't need trainers to tell us to do bad things,".

The things Meowth says in Island of the Giant Pokemon proves he is consciously bad and is shocked when Ekans and Koffing tell him the supposed truth.

"It can't be. My master's not around and I always act like a rat".

Ah yes, you've refreshed my memory. I stand corrected!