PDA

View Full Version : Question: Username changes?

Noah Ridgewood
April 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hahaha! You probably thought this was yet another thread asking for a username change and came here to report it. Well, jokes on you 'cause it's not!!! I tricked you, didn't I?! I bet you feel foolish. However, in all seriousness, I've got an important question of you all.

The higher staff has been discussing the likelihood of bringing back name changes to the community. Username changes would be made once a month, at a time in which users aren't normally on, thus the server isn't as strained. During this time, the forums will become inaccessible to members and moderators for the administrators to change the usernames and get things done, without having to worry about extra strain being put on the server by members posting, editing, deleting, and modifying content.

What we have in mind is to offer usernames for a price. The cost for the username changes will be put forward towards payment for a better sever to improve the functionality of the community. But first, before we pass it on for the admins to come to a consensus to, it's important to know what you think!

Would you be interested in paying for a username change?

Please note: By posting your opinion and voting in this poll, this is not guaranteed to happen.

Avey
April 23rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't mind a username change but I really don't think it'd be worth paying for.

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Actually, yes. I would. Fifty cents for the first name change, then $1.50 for each subsequent change. Or whatever sounds good to you guys. That way, new members can get a username change if they must. Then we won't see "CAN I HAZ USERNAME CHANGE"

yes, you got me. i thought it was another thread that was asking for one. i was gunna report it.

Stormbringer
April 23rd, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'd be willing to pay for a name change. It's basically a win/win for those involved.

I could finally get rid of these damn numbers

Person Man
April 23rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
I think it is a good Idea, I probably wouldn't use it. But at least it gives people the option.

Forever
April 23rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
I really do think this is a good idea. I think there's enough people that really would pay to make this work. I wouldn't be doing so, though, because I like my userame aaand I'm not allowed to put money on paypal etc.

Only thing is whether this'll work like normal supportership and allow people to buy name changes for you... if so, that could potentially work too tbh, since either way the cost still goes towards PC. Hope this idea goes ahead though. :D

Pika-power
April 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
That would be great, cause I feel like a lot of people want a username change.

AshPikastar
April 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
If I ever get bored of this username then I would pay for it but it also depends on how much I would have to pay for changing my name.

Melody
April 23rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't mind donating a few bits to change my username personally. I wouldn't pay more than the price of the first tier though.

Kenshin5
April 23rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
I probably wouldn't pay any more, but if I could redirect the extra $25 that I used to be Tier 5 for a name change I would do that.

The Eagle
April 23rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
No.

Quite Simply No.

I wouldn't pay for an online site name change, its a waste of money in my opinion

Alli
April 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
I've gotten used to the no name change system and honestly like it. But that's coming from someone who's happy with his final username choice. I suppose it'd be nice (I can think of a few people that wish they didn't end up with the name they have), but at the same time, I'm happy I don't have to see people introduce themselves like "Hi I'm Sydian, but I used to be SilverSmeargleSplatter" and it gets confusing sometimes when people change names. I'm on the fence about it.

Mr Cat Dog
April 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
I support the idea, but I'd never use it myself (not because of the issue of cost, but rather I'm sticking with this name until the end of time!) I suppose it just comes down to how much a new server costs, and whether the revenue and pricing structure means that PC'll obtain the necessary amount to upgrade its server.

But... yeah. Good idea, but one I'd never use.

Starrodkirby86
April 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
On another gaming community I go to, being a part of their supporter system (Yeah, pretty much donating) gives you access to change your username once and only once. While this entitled everyone the ability to change their names, the administrator made sure to enforce the rules that any name change could not be extremely drastic or trololo if you were a well-known user, and other rules that would combat any silly loopholes.

When the username change system first came out, things were a bit chaotic because everyone was silly about it, but it soon went all under control and those who were silly got their names reverted back (begrudgingly?). I was initially against it when he implemented this, but now, as time passed on, I see it as no big deal and I'm all right for it.

So yeah, I'll pretty much support this.

...Hooray pointless anecdote. :v

Esper
April 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
I don't know if I'd want a username change, but if you guys think it would help pull in enough money for a new server then I don't see any drawbacks. It sounds like a fair deal as long as the cost isn't too expensive.

Amore
April 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
I'm in support of this, despite being perfectly happy with my username - after all, I may eventually want to change it.

However, one query: will you be able to pay via SMS? Because some of us (aka. me) only donate that way. Also, I hope it won't be too expensive...around £1.50 ($2.50 in your American Dollars) is my suggestion, although I'm sure you guys could get away with squeezing us for more.

p.s. Yeah, I did think this was somebody else asking about username changes. However, I did not come to report, I came to laugh at the inevitable ridiculing posts.

countryemo
April 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Oh wow, Seems like a win-win
I'm happy with no name changes though.
Though I do like the idea, allot.
I would probally pay just to make it "Countryemo" (When I made this, I thought capital's were dumb)
Though on forum I was on, they allowed namechanges one time, I didnt know anyone anymore ;-;

Aquacorde
April 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
This is a great idea, especially for those who registered with "noobish" names and really really dislike it now that they've matured a bit. *coughmethoughiwouldn'tchangecough* Perhaps something like $2-5 a change?

For those of you saying no because you yourself wouldn't pay: that doesn't mean others wouldn't as well. For people who would, it's a nice option to have, and you don't have to take it if you don't want it. Just saying.

Drew
April 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I gotta say.. I would pay for one, just because I'd like the idead of donating towards our eventual goal. Granted, I'd switch back to Drew at times, but that's not the point. XD

Vrai
April 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
I'm in support because a) it's not like the people who don't want to change their name will be forced to and b) because it'll end up supporting PC for something a lot of people want. The price is going to have to be debated but imho it's a really good idea, like Forever said. I'd probably end up changing once or twice. :x

edit: taking what Patchisou said into account, yeah, I would actually end up changing my name probably a couple times. Just saying. :3

Alternative
April 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Although I, personally wouldn't use this as I'm very content with my current username, I support this idea. As Drew said, if it works towards our goal of getting a new server, then I would be all in for it. :)

Just one question though for if this actually does get through. Is there going to be some sort of account age limit for this? I mean sure it might sound discriminatory to those newer people, but for those who say, created an account a couple of days ago and want a name change, something like that wouldn't be allowed?

shenanigans
April 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Although I am content with my current username, from time on other communities, I would certainly be willing to pay a small cost for a username change. Especially if it goes towards a better server which could handle them more easily.

Just one question though for if this actually does get through. Is there going to be some sort of account age limit for this? I mean sure it might sound discriminatory to those newer people, but for those who say, created an account a couple of days ago and want a name change, something like that wouldn't be allowed?

If all proceeds go towards the PokéCommunity funding then I don't see why there would be an age limit in all honesty. I'm sure many usernames are chosen as a spur-of-the-moment thing anyway so I think it's completely understandable that a very new user would want a name change, although I expect that such a user would make an alt account instead of paying for a new name.

NurseBarbra
April 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
You would have to take into account that $1.00 doesn't equal €1.00 ....
I say that $1 is a nice amount.

Owl
April 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'll be willing to pay up to 1 tier cost, nothing more than that. Or less that that would be wonderful, but it doesn't really matter with me. I'm all for helping PC seeing as I'm a regular here.

Kevin
April 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
It depends how much honestly. But yes, I would do that. It would help PC (in some way at least), plus we would get to change our usernames.

miakalina
April 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I think this is a great idea. I would be willing to pay for a name change. Especially because my current user name is too long for people to remember. :3 I hope this does come out.

Manila Luzon
April 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't mind paying at all to be honest. I mean, look at my username. :x I would do anything to get it changed. Anything.

Although I wouldn't go an splash out £15 or something to change it. n_n contradiction ftw.

Noah Ridgewood
April 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
I don't see why someone would purchase a username change if they just created the account a few days ago. But restricting it to users who have been a member for X? I don't see the purpose in doing that since the cost would go to the server. If you have the money and are willing to put it forward for a username change that helps a little with server costs, I don't see why you should be restricted. Likewise, that doesn't seem like a very wise business decision. Ultimately, however, it's up for the admins to decide.

Also, for those of you voting yes because you think it will be good in general, the purpose of the poll is to get a clear idea of who will actually be willing to put forth a payment for a change in username. While I'm sure we appreciate your positive responses, we want to make sure that there are people interested in actually doing this. Otherwise the question would simply ask if you think this is a good idea.

But if you can see yourself, in the future, wanting to change your username, put that into consideration when you vote in the poll.

G.U.Y.
April 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, I think limited name changes should be a supporter perk. Maybe supporter 3+?

And instead of having like..a month in between, make it so you can only have a certain number of name changes every so often, once you use that certain number you can't get anymore. That's how other forums do it and it seems to work well for them.

I would pay for a name change as soon as possible. This name is so bland. :(

Alternative
April 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Well through a little bit of thought, I would actually pay for a name change, as long as it doesn't exceed say, $5.00 US. Any more than that and it would be really expensive just for one name change. Also if I'm thinking correctly, people who have placeholder accounts for names might have to pay more money to get the name of a placeholder, as they would have to change the name of two accounts.

donavannj
April 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
If I ever did truly want a name change, I wouldn't mind paying.

G.U.Y.
April 23rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Well through a little bit of thought, I would actually pay for a name change, as long as it doesn't exceed say, $5.00 US. Any more than that and it would be really expensive just for one name change. Also if I'm thinking correctly, people who have placeholder accounts for names might have to pay more money to get the name of a placeholder, as they would have to change the name of two accounts.
But the placeholder account generally isn't active, and therefore will not put any real stress on the server when it's changed which is the reason why name changes were stopped.

Misheard Whisper
April 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Personally, no. I wouldn't pay for a change because after a couple of years, I've finally settled on an awesome username that really fits me, and I couldn't ever dream of changing it. maybe on serebii I would cos I'm sick of being Dragon user X and they don't allow alts So myself, I would likely make no use of it if it were implemented.

However, it would always be nice to know that the option is there if I ever did decide to change it. I always like to have options, and this would be no exception, even if it were an option I was unlikely to take.

As well as this, I think it's a good idea for those people who do want name changes, because I feel there are a good few (especially if the number of people asking for them is anything to go by). For them, I think, this system should be put in place. It's reasonable enough to charge a small fee considering the effort and downtime it takes to do name changes, and it would act as a deterrent to those who aren't so serious about it.

So because the question said 'Would you be interested in paying for a name change?' I voted no, but in general I'm all for the idea. *needs to think before voting in future*

EDIT:
Also, for those of you voting yes because you think it will be good in general, the purpose of the poll is to get a clear idea of who will actually be willing to put forth a payment for a change in username. While I'm sure we appreciate your positive responses, we want to make sure that there are people interested in actually doing this. Otherwise the question would simply ask if you think this is a good idea. Never mind, I got it right. :x

Toshiro.
April 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't mind paying, so I support the idea. Many members want username changes, so this solution seems to be the best, because it won't put a strain on the server.

How much would a change be do you think?

Noah Ridgewood
April 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't mind paying, so I support the idea. Many members want username changes, so this solution seems to be the best, because it won't put a strain on the server.

How much would a change be do you think?
Nothing is set in stone (especially since there's still a chance that this won't happen at all) until the admins take it up a forum and discuss it there, but I personally would prefer it to be at most $5.00. As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been discussed in their "chambers" yet.

rstevenson1976
April 23rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
I would pay for a name change, mine is too revealing for my current taste

flight
April 23rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Would I pay for a name change? Somewhere along the road, probably. Twilight Sky has stuck with me for a very long time, and I don't really see myself changing to anything else other than a few other things that come to mind, but as far as the concept is concerned, I don't mind name changes coming at a certain cost, as long as it's not something thats too much. D:

Xyrin
April 23rd, 2011, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't pay for it but I'm sure many would. A good idea might be a Tier 5 gets one free name change also. But it's just an idea. I say go with it if we can get a better server.

Zet
April 23rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Paying for name changes is something I would like to see but I would say pricing should be no less than $1 and no more than $10.... though paying $10 for a fancy pancy usertitle wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

Hiche..
April 24th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Sure, but I wouldn't pay more than $5.

zZJoennZz
April 24th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Bad idea I think,if this gonna happen it's still damaging the database and hurting PC :D but this is a good idea too for helping PC a better place and get rid of the usernames that doesn't like by users :D

Twiggy
April 24th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Paying for username changes? Hmm... To me, it sure sounds like a really bad idea... Having to pay... well, paying supports the servers, but... Even then, there WILL be some downtime caused by the mass username changes...

I just hope that one shouldn't need to pay too much. If username changes are too expensive, it might just as well as not exist. $5 is quite stretching it, huh?

If we are going to allow username changes, how about... making it so that if there are people that don't/can't pay, make it so that their requests take more time...?

I won't pay for username changes.

Lily
April 24th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Thread is asking whether or not you'd pay, not if you think it's a bad idea or not. =O

I would pay, should I ever grow tired of the name I have now. Not likely, but I would.

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Food for thought - I've considered something along the lines of this: if you pay for your name, you also get that amount in supporter credit.

How does that sound? So if we price changes at $15, and offered $15 of supporter credit, would you take it up?

moments.
April 24th, 2011, 06:15 AM
What about people who already have supporter credit but want a name change? I definitely would not spend $15 dollars for a name change given that I already have supportership. If it was cheaper, but still went towards supporter credit, that could work? / Maybe a discount price for those who are already supporters?

Exile
April 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Food for thought - I've considered something along the lines of this: if you pay for your name, you also get that amount in supporter credit.

How does that sound? So if we price changes at $15, and offered $15 of supporter credit, would you take it up?

That sounds like a really good idea. I have to ask, but would the vouchers being given away in the egg hunt be valid for this?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to post a suggestion of my own, but I think the Tier 6 Supporters ought to be given some sort of privilege pertaining to name changes. It just seems like the price they payed, even if it's to support PC, far outweighs the perks that they've been given.

Gulpin
April 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Just asking, but since I have already paid the $15 would I get one free name change (with this idea)? Also, would it be $15 every change plus higher supporter status or could we just pay, say, $1 and add that dollar to the total money we have donated and get a name change?

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 24th, 2011, 07:27 AM
No. Name changes would be available as a service (I'm getting a little technical here). You have the option of donating as normal, or you can purchase the service. We would offer the supporter credit as a "bonus" for a reason.

Supporter credit is completely flexible. You can choose to, for every name change, let it go right to your account, or gift the credit to people. (So for every name change, you could give someone else a Supporter tier, for instance.)

Captain Fabio
April 24th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Sounds blooming fair if I am honest. I would be more inclined to do that if I didn't like my name.

Timbjerr
April 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM
It depends on the cost honestly. It has to be just high enough to deter people from abusing the privilege and just low enough to be affordable for people that really wanted a username change.

As far as generalities go, I'll support it, even if I've no desire to change my username in the future.

Although I wouldn't mind getting two of my accounts merged. XD

Gulpin
April 24th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Ok. Well, I thought of an idea that would build on the Supporter status thing along with name changing. So here it is:

Regular Members --> Pay, say, $2.00 for a name change. Name gets listed on donations list. Once they get enough name changes (or donations without a name change plus money with name change) to reach five dollars they will become Tier 1 Supporters.

Tier 1 Supporters --> Pay $1.50 for a name change. They will get a colored username, and access to the Style Testing forum. Once their total donations and donations for name changes reaches ten dollars, they will become Tier 2 Supporters.

Tier 2 Supporters --> Pay $1.00 for a name change. They will get all of the Tier 2 Supporter benefits. Once their donations come to fifteen dollars they will become Tier 3.

And so on. So as the tier rank raises they will get a name change for cheaper (the prices I put are just as an example). Maybe once you reach Tier 5 or 6 they can be free maybe.

flight
April 24th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Somehow I sort of doubt that the admins would let the tier 5s get the name changes for free(but it's possible). Tier 6s getting them for free is highly likely, however.

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm afraid there would be little in the form of discounts for each tier. It would be the same price for all. I think $10 would be a fair price to pay.

Keep in mind that these are my views and that nothing is actually set in stone.

Rionix
April 24th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Either way, I don't really mind. Well, if its implemented, it'll gonna be a good source for site payment but thing is, if its priced quite high, people will hesitate and or not change name at all but instead make a new account...

Chimchar 9
April 25th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I think it's a good idea but it all depends on the price. Though, I think PC Supporters should get it free, or at least a discount?

LightOfTruth
April 25th, 2011, 04:46 AM
As for user-names if you picked the name you wanted at the start you wouldn't need a name-change, Charging them for there own mistakes is a good idea :)

I'm happy with my user name :)

Conception
April 25th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Nope.
Still going to crash the server, PC has more than enough money to buy a decent server.

Nuke
April 25th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I support this if reasonably priced. Especially since then I can return to being called Skii finally. :D

My idea -

$2 (Around £1.20) for a name change for every regular user.

Then half price ($1) for supporters already at tier 3 or higher.

People already at Tier 5 get a one-off free change then pay a quarter of the price ($0.50) for any future changes.

Anyone who becomes a supporter of tier 1 or higher after name changes begin gets one free name change along with their supporter benefits.

Something like that.

Guy
April 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Nope.
Still going to crash the server, PC has more than enough money to buy a decent server.
We would turn off the forums during a time when activity is very low. Therefore, the server doesn't overflow with anyone else browsing and loading the forum.

Also, if we had enough money to buy a new server, we would have already. ):

G.U.Y.
April 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Nope.
You have no idea how much it keeps a large site with constant activity up and running, do you?

I think that most people who are willing to pay for name changes won't. Just because I am willing to bet that most the forum has no way to actually pay themselves.

Most people here are just saying they support the idea. Not whether or not they'd actually do it.

The server load, which can be easily shrunk by either shutting the forum down when they do them all, or doing them in small loads at a time, wouldn't be as much as you think for the reason I already stated.

Thomas
April 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Please please please for the love of zombie Jesus. Don't bring back name changes. If the community needs money, we can find another service that could bring in the same amount of funds. I for one would pay not to have this feature back in the community. I am guilty of multiple name changes, but I am glad that we got rid of them. I have been a member for a while, and over the years I've taken a number of breaks from PC long and short. On some of the longer breaks, people would have changed their name 2 or three times and I would return having to relearn who people were, and in some cases not realizing who they were until much later after my return or not at all.

I just think its a bad idea over all.
*goes to donate moneys to PC*

Gulpin
April 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Please please please for the love of zombie Jesus. Don't bring back name changes. If the community needs money, we can find another service that could bring in the same amount of funds. I for one would pay not to have this feature back in the community. I am guilty of multiple name changes, but I am glad that we got rid of them. I have been a member for a while, and over the years I've taken a number of breaks from PC long and short. On some of the longer breaks, people would have changed their name 2 or three times and I would return having to relearn who people were, and in some cases not realizing who they were until much later after my return or not at all.

The easiest way to fix this would be to add anyone to your friend list that you would like to know even after you went on hiatus and they get a name change. Or to post after your hiatus in the NU/W section so that they will see you and recognize your username and tell you who they used to be.

Thomas
April 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM
The easiest way to fix this would be to add anyone to your friend list that you would like to know even after you went on hiatus and they get a name change. Or to post after your hiatus in the NU/W section so that they will see you and recognize your username and tell you who they used to be.The only way I would support it...is if it was paid and had a long interval time. The price would have to be relatively high for PC user standards (between $10 and $20) and then the time in between username changes would have to be between 1 and 2 years...none of this three month crap like before.

Stormbringer
April 25th, 2011, 06:28 PM

*Uhm*

If you hover your mouse over a person's username in a post, it will physically tell you what their old usernames were, js.

Thomas
April 25th, 2011, 06:46 PM
*Uhm*

If you hover your mouse over a person's username in a post, it will physically tell you what their old usernames were, js.Woooooow. How did I not know this. But still it doesn't tell you the super old usernames...back before we had a field in our profiles. Anyway, I just think if it comes back, it needs to have a high monetary value, and that the intervals need to be VERY spaced out.

Eeveemaster9
April 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Please, for the love of kittens...Do NOT bring this back. I think we can all live without changing our names. I, for one, CANNOT live if this site is constantly down or lagging.

Noah Ridgewood
April 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Username changes were sporadic when they were done in the past. The last time name changes were done, it followed the same fashion that they are going to be given now. They'd be done at a time in which not many people are on (3 AM EST was the specific time) and the forums would be shut off for members. Only administrators would be able to access the forums, and they'd turn on the forums when they were done. There would likely be a notice regarding name changes coming up so that members would know when it was coming as well, as opposed to when we did username changes before the last one and they were changed whenever an admin got to it...

Stormbringer
April 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Please, for the love of kittens...Do NOT bring this back. I think we can all live without changing our names. I, for one, CANNOT live if this site is constantly down or lagging.

A few hours won't kill you. And it'll be at 3Am, when you're supposed to be in bed. There are a lot of members here who would disagree and want a namechange. Let's weigh all the issues. :>

Drew
April 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Think about that for a second. xD;

We thought to bring back name changes this way, to raise more money. We're trying to reach a point where we can afford to pay for the forum to run better. Think of it as upgrading, if you will. Our main goal for this, is to one day make it so PC won't have to lag at all, or have to be taken down when name changes are done. Changing usernames is a basic forum function, that some community forums can preform without blinking eye an eye, yet they cause PC to crash. We want to be able to save up enough money to stop that. (To help it's over functionality, not just so we can change names..)

Don't think of this as just "oh god, name changing is annoying D:", we all have to think of the long term effects.

Vrai
April 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I think that most people who are willing to pay for name changes won't. Just because I am willing to bet that most the forum has no way to actually pay themselves.

Most people here are just saying they support the idea. Not whether or not they'd actually do it.

...and if no one's going to do it, no harm done by offering it, right?

If it's offered, there are a few outcomes in my mind: a) no one really actually pays for name changes, meaning whatever server strain introduced is minimal and PC still gets money for those few changes; b) a lot of people pay for name changes, introducing a lot more money into the server but since they're changing names during a select time and all at once, not sporadically as Patchisou said the server strain is also likely minimal.

I honestly just don't see a downside to offering this. If you don't want to change your name, that's cool. If you want to, that's cool too. PC is supported by the money, the strain on the server is minimal because of how it's going to be approached. Is there another downside here that I'm missing? I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be around, imo.

Barn
April 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I want to change my username, but.. eh. I don't think it's worth paying for.

Alternative
April 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I have one query. If the forum get's shut down for a while for name changes at 3am Standard American Time or whatever that is, what does that mean for those people from other parts of the world, like Europe or Australia, where it's during the middle of the day and we have access to it. It doesn't seem fair that way, if it's mostly going to revolve around that sort of timezone.

Kenshin5
April 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Well if they have to do it multiple times then they can just rotate the time slot they do it in. It's not going to be fair any way you look at it, regardless of when it is done it will effect members in one time zone or another across the world. I am sure they came up with 3AM because they noticed that the fewest members were on during that time compared to any other time of the day.

moments.
April 25th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Alternative...
Can it go on rotation or something? Yes, perhaps the majority of people are in America and less affected by having the downtime at 3am or whatever, but there are plenty of other members who will suffer from it. Yes it's only a few hours, but is it not worth putting it on rotation, even if it benefits the American members more often than the rest of us, but perhaps like a 70-30 split or something like that.

Just a thought.

Drew
April 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Well, regardless of what time we shut it down, plenty of people are gonna be online because of how popular PC is. Though, this isn't something that would happen every single day. It would happen for a couple of hours, for one day / night (depending on timezone), on occasion. It might be annoying at the time, but a few hours or a day without PC isn't going to kill anyone. I have faith in you guys, you'll make it. xD; I think it's worth the end result.

Meganium
April 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I guess it depends on *how much* will it cost. If it's at a reasonable price, I'd go for it. Besides, I've been looking forward to a name change for a while now so that might save me a bunch of time by creating a new account so I can get rid of the 90 on my username.

Platinum Lucario
April 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Just as soon as I noticed on the index in where it said the latest post in the CQ&F forum, I thought it was going to be another person asking about changing their user, I laughed just before I realized that the thread was made by a staff member and was stickied. And I was like... "huh?". xD Then I looked at the thread and then I was like "oh I see". xD

Anyways, for name changes? Certainly! Here, I could give you as much money as you charge for a username change. Everyone surely does hope for the username changes to come back, and that's exactly why they said in that announcement about the username changes being closed that they might bring back the username changes. I could be eager enough to change my username back to "Platinum Lucario" again. Because I only changed it back because since the username changing privledges was going to be removed, I thought going back to the username I registered with was an excellent idea. I'm actually quite attached to my most common username that I use for any website. You just have to search "Platinum Lucario" or "PlatinumLucario" into Google and you'll see all the different kinds of websites I've registered on.

Oh and I have a suggestion, I'm sure many people have already suggested this, and it wouldn't be fair though... but what about having the username changes thread for supporters only? So only those who donate to PC could change their username? :/ I could say this would be unfair to the normal members... but lets just see how it goes. ^^

Vrai
April 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Oh and I have a suggestion, I'm sure many people have already suggested this, and it wouldn't be fair though... but what about having the username changes thread for supporters only? So only those who donate to PC could change their username? :/ I could say this would be unfair to the normal members... but lets just see how it goes. ^^

I don't know what benefit would come out of restricting name changes when both regular users and supporters could likely want to change it. It's like owning a shop but turning down a vast majority of your potential customers because they smell... or some other silly reason like that. :(

sorry non-supporters you don't really smell

King Gumball
April 25th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I think it would be a great feature to raise money for PC to hopefully buy a new server as it would encourage people to donate. But I would not do it because a) I'm not allowed and b) I'm not going pay for a username change on a Pokemon forum :(

I voted yes though because I think others would be interested and I might do it when I am old enough to have my own PayPal account.

Kenshin5
April 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I assume you mean by paying for supporter status at the same time they are entitled to at least one name change? Or do you mean making this as it currently stands only available to Supporters? Cause they are looking to try a profit and they won't make all their proceeds they need on supporters alone. In my mind there doesn't need to be any group restrictions, if you have the money to pay I sure wouldn't refuse it.

Soul Eater
April 25th, 2011, 11:51 PM
In way, it would be the Supporters that got to change their names, because in paying for a name change, you would be donating to the community, and could be counted as a Supporter. I guess that depends on how you look at it, but yeah.. @__@

If we reach our goal of being able to upgrade, then maybe one day name changes, or other perks could be something that becomes free (you never know). Though, for now it seems that name changes would be for 'Supporters' in a sense, if that's how you choose to look at it.

Archer
April 26th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Food for thought: I remember that back in the day, there were different rules for name corrections, as opposed to total changes.

Eg. fixing spelling errors, removing numbers/strange characters, altering capitalisation, etc.

Reading through this thread, I've noticed that a large portion of people just want these sorts of changes, rather than a completely new name - which is the concern that most people seem to carry.

I'm not big on the idea personally, but if it's not the community's/server's detriment (which was my main concern), I don't mind at all.

That said, if the ability to pay for new usernames were to be enabled, it would be nice if we could overwrite certain taken names. For instance, the only other name I would want has been taken by another member who never posted and only ever logged in once - 5-6 years ago.

Soul Eater
April 26th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Pruning of unused accounts to free up names? I'd love to see that done, personally.

If any of this is implemented in the end, I mean.

LightOfTruth
April 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM
A few hours won't kill you. And it'll be at 3Am, when you're supposed to be in bed. There are a lot of members here who would disagree and want a namechange. Let's weigh all the issues. :>

People are on different time-zones to you so it might be during the day where the user is :)

mondays suck
April 26th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I would love getting rid of the "suck" in my name and just becoming "mondays", but... is paying money for something as trivial as changing an online username really worth it? I doubt it, I'd rather stick with the original name or get an alt account instead.

I do like the idea of cleaning up the unused accounts though

King Gumball
April 26th, 2011, 02:59 AM
People are on different time-zones to you so it might be during the day where the user is :)

If it rotates it wlll be no problem. It isn't going to kill anyone. I am from Australia so it will likely be during my after noon. If so there are other things to do in life whil PC is down. Hopefully it will rotate or just be during random times of inactive days but I am sure you will be able to handle one afternoon without PC :/

G.U.Y.
April 26th, 2011, 02:59 AM
They were not speaking in general, they were speaking directly to one person who does in fact live around the affected time zone (I think it would be 2 or 1 AM instead of 3 AM where they live) so it still holds completely true.

Conception
April 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
You have no idea how much it keeps a large site with constant activity up and running, do you?
Of course I do, otherwise I wouldn't of made the statement.

I don't think people should be not allowed to access PC, for people to pay for fancy features.

Stormbringer
April 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Of course I do, otherwise I wouldn't of made the statement.

I don't think people should be not allowed to access PC, for people to pay for fancy features.

It's not like they're taking it away from you. I think you can live without PC for a few hours, I'm hoping. Accessing PC is privilege, not a given, for anybody.

It's a beneficial feature, and there are plenty of members, as well as staffers, who have agreed to this, Ben. The benefits far outweigh the negatives in this case. If there are any negatives at all.

Crimson5M
April 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Totally against this idea. Why would you pay for a username change on are much better things to spend money one a forum? There are much better things to spend money on. Some people don't even have enough money for food, yet people here want to spend money to get a name changed? Also, it isnt fair that people will have to stay off PC for a while just because some people want to pay for something as un-needed as that. What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

Gerri Shin
April 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I'm not adverse to the idea, especially if it clearly states that any revenue collecting in exchange for a username change is going toward improving the server. though along with this, if someone does donate for the regular tiers, they should automatically earn a credit for a name change.

Regeneration
April 27th, 2011, 07:56 AM
If this is what can help us get a better server, then why not? XD I'm sure that many people would be willing to pay some cash to get a username change. Anything upto $5 is reasonable to me.

I'm a bit concerned about the duration of the server downtime though. My timezone will most probably be affected. :\ I'm serious, I can't live without PC even for an afternoon. >O

Conception
April 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Accessing PC is privilege, not a given, for anybody.
Exactly my point, you'd be not letting any one access PC, for the privileged ( using that term, very loosely )people who pay to get a name change.

The 100 Mega Shock
April 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM
dude it's only a short downtime on a Pokémon website.

donavannj
April 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Exactly my point, you'd be not letting any one access PC, for the privileged ( using that term, very loosely )people who pay to get a name change.

It would also likely be occurring at the same time of day for those affected as a DBE-related downtime that usually occurs in mid-afternoon/early evening for US-based users does, which make up more than 50% of the population of this site by themselves, and that's still at a time where it's later in the evening for Western Europe, where much of the rest of PC's users come from. Letting people pay for name changes would go a long way to fix this issue, which hurts PC's wallet by eliminating time where ad revenue could be collected.

Cherrim
April 27th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Honestly I don't think this will every fly considering how many name changes we'd actually have to make to let the name changes themselves pay for the dedicated database. That's a few extra hundred a month (I think--I'm not super well-versed in this part) and... since most people are only willing to pay about $5, and not every month, we just wouldn't come anywhere close. Even at $15 if the same people were gonna pay it, that's more of a one-time thing because most people won't be changing their name every other week or even every month.

And to clarify, a dedicated database wouldn't just make us able to do name changes--it would also speed up the forums considerably and probably reduce the strain on the database as it is now so no more double posting or DBEs bringing us down for hours on end every week. We wouldn't even be mentioning the idea if only people with money to spend on the forums could benefit from it.

u_u Regardless, there isn't really any debate in this thread. Please just answer whether or not you'd pay and what your price point would realistically be. We already know our options (as far as turning off the boards, doing the changes only in the wee hours for the majority of users, etc.) so all we're really curious about is what we could expect to get in upkeep funds if we were to go ahead with this.

Asa
April 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'd definitely pay for a username change, but no more than $5 out of my pocket. A reasonable price would be nice after all.

Chiar
April 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I'm pretty fond of my username but I'm sure many of people would like to change it or give it a title case to make the name look less messy.
The only thing I fear is maniacal name changing and causing username chaos. There could be a specific limit of time between changes to prevent this.

Noah Ridgewood
April 29th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I've been thinking long and hard about changing my username, and I've decided that no matter what I change it to, it just won't be the same.

As much as I want to change my username, Patchisou Yutohru has been my go-to username for a really long time. Every time I change my username, it seems that I always go back. If I'm only going to go back to Patchisou Yutohru, I think I'll just keep it as is regardless. Throw in the fact that I don't really think my experience here will be much of the same if I take on a new identify, per se. I think I'm pretty much adapted to the fact that Patchisou Yutohru is me on PC. And I'm going to be honest, as much as I would like to change my username, I'd be paying with the means of getting a new name in mind; not "Well, this will help the server..." because, to be blunt, the server isn't much of a concern to me much these days. Yes, the downtime is a little inconvenient, but as The 100 Mega Shock said, it's just some downtime on a Pokemon forum. And I'm not really going to shell out double the money just to end up going back to a username I had in the first place. Because if my username change history stands true, that's what's going to happen with me. :/

Just wanted to toss that in there that I've decided that I wouldn't end up paying for a username change.

Abble Pie
April 29th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Paying? To change your username? Ridiculous.

AmethystDragon
April 29th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I, frankly, do not want to pay for this. I'd sure like it, but I don't really think it's worth paying for, thus I answered no in the poll.

Archer
April 30th, 2011, 01:22 AM
That said, if the ability to pay for new usernames were to be enabled, it would be nice if we could overwrite certain taken, yet unused names. For instance, the only other name I would want has been taken by another member who never posted and only ever logged in once - 5-6 years ago.

Pruning of unused accounts to free up names? I'd love to see that done, personally.

If any of this is implemented in the end, I mean.

I do like the idea of cleaning up the unused accounts though
Can we get some staff feedback on this idea? I remember it being turned down in the past, but that was ~2 years ago, and it's completely different if people are paying for them.

AtomicoExploda
April 30th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I think I can remember this being suggested before, but, as usual, staff disagree.

Anyway, I don't think it would be worth to pay for, but I know that a lot of people would still be willing to pay, so I think it should be implemented since it's best to still have the option to change one's name even if it is at a price. Also, there shouldn't be as much strain on the server because less people would pay for the change than getting it for free.

So yeah, I say do it since there's nothing to lose.

Andrew1989
April 30th, 2011, 04:45 AM
To be frank, I wouldn't mind paying for a username change. If it were to help pay for a better server, then why not? Of course - I wouldn't agree if said price for a name change was ridiculously expensive.

Shining Raichu
April 30th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I have no desire to change my username, but I vote yes. I think Pokecommunity is great and fundraising to make it even better would be awesome.

Guy
April 30th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Can we get some staff feedback on this idea? I remember it being turned down in the past, but that was ~2 years ago, and it's completely different if people are paying for them.
Personally, I think if people are willing to pay for a username change and the name happens to be taken by an account that hasn't been active in x amount of years, then that account should be pruned. I believe it's only fair since they are actually going to be paying for the name.

Ultimately, I think this would be up to the admins to decide on.

That said, I actually think a prune in accounts should happen regardless. I know it doesn't affect the server on how many unused accounts we have, but for the sake of a more clean and organized forum, I would rather see accounts that have at least 0 posts and have not been active in perhaps 3 or more years be removed. But, this is another matter.

Asa
April 30th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Personally, I think if people are willing to pay for a username change and the name happens to be taken by an account that hasn't been active in x amount of years, then that account should be pruned. I believe it's only fair since they are actually going to be paying for the name.

Ultimately, I think this would be up to the admins to decide on.

That said, I actually think a prune in accounts should happen regardless. I know it doesn't affect the server on how many unused accounts we have, but for the sake of a more clean and organized forum, I would rather see accounts that have at least 0 posts and have not been active in perhaps 3 or more years be removed. But, this is another matter.I agree with Shivi here even if it's slighty off-topic it seems like a fairly good idea. I mean will they actually ever log into their accounts again if they have gone inactive for like 3 years? It can be possible but, that's kind of a small chance. xD

ElectricScyther
May 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
I really do think this is a good idea. I think there's enough people that really would pay to make this work. I wouldn't be doing so, though, because I like my userame aaand I'm not allowed to put money on paypal etc.

Only thing is whether this'll work like normal supportership and allow people to buy name changes for you... if so, that could potentially work too tbh, since either way the cost still goes towards PC. Hope this idea goes ahead though. :D
I agree 100% with evrything said here. Except I would probably be willing to pay for a name change (Scyther is what, my 70th favorite pokemon?:P) but again I wouldn't be allowed to.

RYOUKI
May 1st, 2011, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't mind a username change but I really don't think it'd be worth paying for.
This. Besides, it wouldn't be unfair to people like mw who doesn't have Paypal. It's not like we won't pay, it's just that we can't.

solarowl
May 1st, 2011, 10:08 AM
^Yeah.
I would pay if I could, but my parents won't let me. They think this site and Pokemon are stupid and immature.
I honestly wish I could have a username change, but my parents won't let me pay through PayPal.

Asa
May 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm aware you could use a pre-paid debit card or add PayPal money to your own account from a card since I've done it before? I've never donated with my parents credit or debit card, lol.

marz
May 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Uhhh, I dunno, paying for a username change is a bit much. But then there is also the problem where people aren't allowed to pay money toward this site for whatever reason, or those who can't seem to setup a PayPal account. A few weeks ago I had tried to set up a PayPal account and it didn't work for some reason. I don't really care enough to actually look into the problem, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation.

I honestly think that the whole idea of having username changes done once a month, at a very quiet time for the forum, but without having to pay for name changes would be great. A name change is just not worth money. Everyone has better things to spend their money on.

Whicher
May 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
And then there's also the possibility that if users would want to do a name-swap with their alts, they would have to pay double. I don't think anyone would want to do that. :(

Stormbringer
May 1st, 2011, 12:04 PM
This. Besides, it wouldn't be unfair to people like mw who doesn't have Paypal. It's not like we won't pay, it's just that we can't.

You can donate without actually having a paypal account, but you'll still need some sort of debit/credit/giftcard.

The Blastoise
May 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM
While I do think that being able to change usernames would be a good idea, I don't think that I would want to have to pay for it.

Gulpin
May 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I'd probably pay for a username change, depending on how much it is. The only reason I'd want to change my username is because I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm a Zelda fan.. I don't even play it! Oh, coincidences!

Shining Raichu
May 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
I think stretching the gift card system would be a good idea for this, in order to cater for the younger members who are still financially at the mercy of their parents. That way if somebody gifts to them, they can choose to either go up a tier or change their username... or depending on the amount, both.

countryemo
May 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Uhhh, I dunno, paying for a username change is a bit much. But then there is also the problem where people aren't allowed to pay money toward this site for whatever reason, or those who can't seem to setup a PayPal account. A few weeks ago I had tried to set up a PayPal account and it didn't work for some reason. I don't really care enough to actually look into the problem, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation.

I honestly think that the whole idea of having username changes done once a month, at a very quiet time for the forum, but without having to pay for name changes would be great. A name change is just not worth money. Everyone has better things to spend their money on.

1) I think you need to be 18+ ?

2) And PC really needs a better server, we can do no paying and risk the server, or pay and hope pc survives to see a brighter day.

Like I said. I would probably pay just to get C instead of c. Though it should be a bit more reasonable like 2$ still doable, and get a profit considering how much people want a name change.

Noah Ridgewood
May 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Okay everyone! Thanks for all the replies and for voting and whatnot. I think by the poll and by these responses, the administrators can gather enough support behind both sides to debate and discuss this on their own. So now it's up to them to decide!