PDA

View Full Version : Hoenn Music

ProGuava
April 23rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
It is argument-ably the best music in all of the V generations...
From growing up on this generation it gives the game a really cool atmosphere. Lots of trumpet use, and it sounds the most unique to me vs the other generation's music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5oZ2lMvR0&playnext=1&list=PL9C480E052B674FD7

Listen, then leave a reply of your opinion. I just want quick answers not discussion or arguments...

adventure
April 24th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I agree :) For some reason, it's the Hoenn games that have, maybe not the best tunes at all times, but the best composition of instruments, drums and general feeling. Although I really like Sinnoh's music as well, and the 2nd gen Johto music is always in my heart... but playing my Ruby game, running around in route 113 gathering ash and listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfARFF9S5Jg .... maaah!

Or the mount Pyre intro. It's too awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEtlhq1PxI4

Kaori
April 26th, 2011, 03:35 AM
RSE tracks were just the best imo. u___u; Some of my favorite tracks throughout the game were;
THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNYValGRR0&feature=related) THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIN7VLgJdI&feature=related) AND THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcOIQwqCl7s&feature=related). But there are so many tracks within the game that I like, it'd be impossible to list them all. Even playing through the music now just gives me a strong nostaglic feeling from the games.

Dark Piplup
April 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Certainly agree! All the harmonizing and bass work out very well! I think it has its own stlye that makes it very likeable. They should have more of its kind.

Alli
April 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I love tracks from all games personally, but RSE sure did have a more unique sound than the others. Mostly cause it was the first time Pokemon had been on the GBA, I assume. But yeah, the trumpet was probably the most notable sound difference when compared to the generations before and after it. RSE is definitely the middle child in many ways, and music is one of them.

Hopefully they keep with it when these games are remade. :)

West the Hardcore Nerd
May 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
No matter when I play those games, the music always sound so nostalgic. As corny as that sounds, I really only have good memories associated with R/S/E, due much in part to the soundtrack.

solarowl
May 2nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
OMG I LOVE LILYCOVE!! <333
Yeah. ^^;
Slateport was also great for me. So nostalgic...
RSE had wonderful music, when GF makes remakes, I can't wait to hear Remakes of song. They'll probably be better... or worse.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
May 3rd, 2011, 04:43 AM
The battle music with Maxie/Archie: Best. Boss. Music. Ever.

The rest of the tunes were pretty good too, but the crashing cymbals that led up to those boss battles is what really stick out in my mind.

West the Hardcore Nerd
May 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
B/W's soundtrack sounds pretty similar to R/S/E's at times, so, if they were to remake Ruby and Sapphire, the transition would be pretty smooth.

PoketalkCreator
May 4th, 2011, 04:15 PM
This music is certainly some of the best in handheld history... I can't really think of anything that hasn't been said >.< But, Yes. It's great.

bobandbill
May 4th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I like most of the main Pokemon game music tbh. RSE isn't my most favourite though...some tunes were a bit 'eh' to me and it sure had a heavy reliance on trumpets - but certainly overall I liked its music and it has some of my favourite tunes in it as well (like say the rival battle theme).

NamelessGuy
May 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hoenn's music came a long way in terms of composing. The tunes were much more creative than in previous generations, in my opinion. However, you still can't beat that rich 8-bit tone.

Blue
May 5th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I think, out of all the Pokémon games, R/S/E had the best soundtracks hands down.

PlatinumDude
May 6th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I enjoyed Hoenn's music because of how catchy the tune was.

SuperSaiyanII
May 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I think the Hoenn soundtrack was best in everything except the wild battle theme. That's the only one I have a problem with but hopefully it sounds better in the remakes.

Perrie ✿
May 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM
The Soundtrack for me, beat's them all. <: I love Rustboro city's music. :D I can't remember some other's lmao. Dewford cave is another piece of music I like to. :D

The 100 Mega Shock
May 7th, 2011, 04:25 PM
R/S's soundbank is much better effort for the GBA than Pokémon sounded as a DS game. It was pretty cool at the time, and the compositions are also generally good.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
May 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I agree I loved the music in this region, it was so vibrant and jubilant or something, and each area's composition is very recognizable and easily identifiable imo :)

At this moment in time, I can't get Brendan's theme out of my head lol :D

skyluigi2
May 14th, 2011, 09:09 AM
R/S/E easily have the best music to date in my opinion. :D

-totodile42

Owl
May 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I never really liked Hoenn's music that much at all. I liked it in the beginning but then after playing it for so long, it kind of got old.

Binary
May 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Hoenn's music is one of the best in my opinion. It's something really vibrant and I love it. The Littleroot town music theme is still stuck in my head. Ruby was my first Pokemon game, and I'm really fond of the music. Hopefully, the R/S/E remake (supposing that we do get a remake :3) will keep those aspects of the music.

miju-kun
May 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Hoenn's music was the best. It was so nostalgic in my opinion. I love all of the music in R/S/E, now I'm gonna listen to one right now xDD

fenyx4
May 17th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I love tracks from all games personally, but RSE sure did have a more unique sound than the others. Mostly cause it was the first time Pokemon had been on the GBA, I assume. But yeah, the trumpet was probably the most notable sound difference when compared to the generations before and after it. RSE is definitely the middle child in many ways, and music is one of them.

Hopefully they keep with it when these games are remade. :)

RSE tracks were just the best imo. u___u; Some of my favorite tracks throughout the game were;
THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNYValGRR0&feature=related) THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIN7VLgJdI&feature=related) AND THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcOIQwqCl7s&feature=related). But there are so many tracks within the game that I like, it'd be impossible to list them all. Even playing through the music now just gives me a strong nostaglic feeling from the games.

This and this. Replaying Emerald (and Sapphire/Ruby) as many times as I have, RSE's music is practically ingrained in my mind. At first, I enjoyed it, but didn't pay attention to it too much. Then, many months ago, when I somehow came up with the idea to incorporate the VS Magma/Aqua Grunt battle theme in a PowerPoint pertaining to overshadowed videogame characters, I was hit with a torrent of nostalgia. Needless to say, that one theme kicked off my focus on Pokemon music, I grew more and more interested in Pokemon game instrumentation, to the point where I hum certain tracks daily, and I pay attention whenever I hear game-originating tracks in the Pokemon anime (particularly, in Best Wishes as of late).

While FireRed/LeafGreen features some awesome music (particularly the Gym Leader/E4 and Champion battle themes, and various route overworld themes), RSE's music is a wonder in the world of videogaming, and I'd even go as far to say that RSE's tracks are top-notch in the music industry as a whole. The trumpet has actually become enjoyable for me. Typically, I dislike the trumpet used in orchestrations (actually, the trumpet(s) used in the anime variants of RSE's Wild Pokemon Battle Theme and Regi Battle Theme seem somewhat subpar compared to the trumpets used in the games), but RSE made the trumpet an amazing instrument to listen to, with the heavy incorporation in dynamic and powerful battle themes.

RSE's Weather Trio Battle Theme, while seemingly simple in nature, nicely conveys a sense of "accidental tampering of forces unknown". The techno repetition in the RSE Regi Trio Battle Theme eerily reinforces the sense of a long-lived entity and an encounter with an ancient yet modern force.

I love the RSE Champion Theme sense of urgency, and at brief points in the track, it appears evocative of an intense struggle between up-and-coming Pokemon Trainer and top-tier Pokemon Champion.

I wandered around Hoenn some weeks ago, astounded by exactly how much musical content was included in the game and the pristine differentiation that was preserved among them. You have your beautifully calm locale themes, to your dynamic and epic battle themes, to your leisurely travel route overworld themes, all complementing each other.

Finally, I enjoy how certain parts of RSE's tracks sound like marine-themed tracks (which seems to be due to the prominent use of the trumpet). The title screen theme, the Magma/Aqua Grunt and Boss Themes, the Meteor Falls theme, the Underwater theme, and the Abandoned Ship theme specifically convey the sense of a seafaring voyage or a deepsea journey, which enhances the experience of Sapphire Version, whose mascot is water-themed. The Sky Pillar overworld theme seems to conjure up a feeling of industry and exploration of terrain. Similarly, the VS Wild Pokemon battle theme seems fitting for a child discovering the frequently-hiding animals in a forest.

Heck, the RSE Wild Pokemon and Trainer Battle Themes are essentially the battle themes in Pokemon for me. XD In conclusion, RSE's music was amazing, and I really hope that their instrumentation can be enhanced in RS remakes, rather than butchered. :<

*Also, here's a remix of a song that didn't actually need remixing, but ends up as awesome nonetheless. Behold, this epic remix of the RSE Champion Battle Theme by thegimpsta: RSE Champion Battle Theme Remix (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/74838)

tobinus
May 19th, 2011, 09:01 AM
This and this. Replaying Emerald (and Sapphire/Ruby) as many times as I have, RSE's music is practically ingrained in my mind. At first, I enjoyed it, but didn't pay attention to it too much. Then, many months ago, when I somehow came up with the idea to incorporate the VS Magma/Aqua Grunt battle theme in a PowerPoint pertaining to overshadowed videogame characters, I was hit with a torrent of nostalgia. Needless to say, that one theme kicked off my focus on Pokemon music, I grew more and more interested in Pokemon game instrumentation, to the point where I hum certain tracks daily, and I pay attention whenever I hear game-originating tracks in the Pokemon anime (particularly, in Best Wishes as of late).

[...]

Heck, the RSE Wild Pokemon and Trainer Battle Themes are essentially the battle themes in Pokemon for me. XD In conclusion, RSE's music was amazing, and I really hope that their instrumentation can be enhanced in RS remakes, rather than butchered. :<

You pretty much nailed it. I've always had a love for the generation I started in. I can remember back in 4th grade, waiting for my teacher to come while holding my GBA near my ear and listen to the epic title screen of Ruby.

I think I can say that the amazing third generation music is what made me a composer and interested in music. I'm not kidding.

So. Extremely. Inspiring.

The cooltrainer encounter tops it - not to mention all the other themes in the game. <3

Alice
May 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Well, sinnoh and unova aren't very good in the music department... It's hard for me to say Hoenn's music is better than Kanto though, even though I do love both regions.

psyanic
May 31st, 2011, 05:14 PM
The ending-credit music was so relaxing. It gave me peace when I finally beat the E4 for the first time, about 4 years ago.

Wyatt Fire
June 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I watched a YouTube video with Littleroot Town's theme song and it was so nostalgic, I went out today and bought a Ruby version in the memory of the one I had as a kid. I think it's my favourite version, even though my first version was red.

I'm replaying it and the music is just bringing it all back to me. It's the only series that my roommate has missed, so she just doesn't understand! Haha.

thecalling66
July 30th, 2011, 04:40 PM
the Sootopolis theme is just great imo! so catchy and awesome! And yeah, I do think that the 3rd gen games had the best music next to GSC which had some classic-sounding tracks as well aha :P

okjoek
July 31st, 2011, 03:32 PM
B/W's soundtrack sounds pretty similar to R/S/E's at times, so, if they were to remake Ruby and Sapphire, the transition would be pretty smooth.

I agree that would sound likely.

The elite four theme was nice because it wasn't just just the gym leader theme again. First time through " Woa never heard that before, Maybe I'l just sit around for a minuite and listen to it XD". Not that johto and sinnoh had bad gym leader themes (I actualy loved them) but It's nice to hear something else to fit the situation that says "S___ just got serious".

Blue
July 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM
Maybe that's a hint for an R/S remake, a music similarity, it occured in FR/LG and D/P/PT for HG/SS.

Anyway, my favourite music is from Hoenn, definately the best soundtracks without a doubt.

Super Red
August 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
I loved the music in this generation. My favorite was the one that played when you talk to Steven before you battle him for the last time. I also loved the Slateport City music. Ahh good times.

Lord_Storm
August 4th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Top three music tracks in Hoenn which has some of the best music (maybe beaten only by Unova):
3rd: Slateport
2nd: Lilycove
1st: Rival Battle theme (these always are the best)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Hoenn's music was the worst for me because I only liked two songs which were the music from Petalburg City and The Battle Frontier

:t354:TG

Hydreigarchomp91
August 5th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I agree,Hoenn musics are definitely the best in the whole game series.
I don't know about you but to me,Hoenn musics sound so soothing and serene,covered with layers of emotions that could make you feel happy,sad,excited and terrified... :)

DowntownDumpling
August 19th, 2011, 04:17 AM
My favorite music from Hoenn:

The top of Mt. Chimney
Sootopolis City
Fortree City/Secret Bases

Charicific
August 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Hi, I am a D/P fan but as a fair person who criticize on each generation, I'd like to give my own opinion that 3rd Generation had the best music. Both in the game and Anime, most likely anime..I was in love with the Elite 4 Battle Theme. And then, I heard the Wild battle theme and it was as good. Note though, no PkMn game had bad music, Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and even Unova have their Unique amazing music..

DowntownDumpling
August 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Another track that's always in my head... the Underwater theme.

darkbane28
August 26th, 2011, 10:15 PM
EverGrand City shall be the best 4Ever :)

NaistoNub
September 3rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
yeas, defiantly the beast music of all the pokemons :D
i remember the sounds so distinctly, i can even guess the next bit of the song lawl

nisel97
September 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
i love the music in r/s/e because it's catchy, fun to listen to and it holds a lot of nostalgia

Ephemeral Euphoria
September 5th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hoenn had some of the best music in the series IMO, particularly the underwater themes and my personal favorite the route 111 theme.

jvpski3
September 5th, 2011, 10:40 AM
The credits was only charming, what else to really say, I hated it.

oocyst
September 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hoenn has the best soundtrack imo. My favourites are The desert and Mt. Pyre peak. I like most of the Legedary soundtracks too.

cazzler
September 5th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I loved the soundtrack, I really hope they remake this game so I can listen to those tracks again, I liked the town music, battle music and most of all Team Magma's theme. The Champions theme was pretty epic as well.

Pokemon Game Fan
September 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I agree. If only they had the Lance/Red battle theme from GSC/HGSS and the Rival battle theme from RBY/FRLG, they would slaughter every other game in terms of music.

The Rayquaza/Groudon/Kyogre battle themes were epic, the Victory Road theme was SO awesome, and just overall they had a more "epic" feeling. Like I said, they only needed the Red/Lance theme from HGSS and Rival theme from FRLG to be perfect.

Druyii
September 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The regi battle music was awesome, puts you in the serious mood for catching and battling :L

colcolstyles
September 11th, 2011, 09:42 PM
As a person who claims to know a lot about music, I should be able to say what makes Hoenn's music so appealing. But I just can't. The songs just have this ineffable charm that I can't put my finger on. Tracks like Dewford Town, Oceanic Museum, and the Ending Credits blow me away every time. Everything is layered so perfectly and it's just nice to listen to.

Mr.Thunder
September 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I think especially Steven's music in R/S is awesome, because of the flippin' cool piano solo in the beginning. :D
Anyway, I grew up with the Hoenn series, so I'm not that objective, but the music is just the best.

Weavile05
September 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I did love most of RSE's Tracks, Mt. Pyre, Champion Steven, and the Sootopolis city music are among my favorites. But nothing can beat Giratina's theme and Dialga and Palkia's theme from Pokemon Platinum imho.

SK3
September 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hoenn music does a good job on giving the player a sense that they are on an adventure, with a lot of the songs having a heavy amount of brass, and this is why I love it.

Songs such as the champion battle theme, the Abandoned Ship theme, the battle themes, and the route themes stuck out to me when I played R/S/E, and the credits make it even more memorable of a game.

Juzey
September 24th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hoenn just has some of the most amazing music ever, and I think I played it with the sound off the first time! I was missing out on so much amazingness!

GlitchCity
October 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Generation III was the most musical in my opinion, the use of trumpets was Hoenn's trademark. I simply love every soundtrack Hoenn had. And going from 8-bit to the use of real instruments in pokemon was a huge turning point, and it set the example for the later generations with their soundtracks.

PsychicFreakooo
December 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
I couldn't agree more!! Some of my favorites were Lilycove City, Littleroot Town, Rival Meet & Battle, Champion Battle, and Sootopolois City!! :) God I miss those games!

Amekage
January 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Man, I loved the R/S/E soundtrack (have the whole thing on my computer). My favourites were:

Victory Road (and the remix in SSBB)
Rival Battle
Evergrande City
Route 104
Route 120
Surfing
Underwater
Battle Factory

...Okay, there were more that I just can't remember off the top of my head. But great soundtrack.

Mentalii
January 11th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Actually, and even if I agree with the fact that Hoenn music are inventive and great, I've quickly enough of them. It depends on the music, of course, and I spoke about city themes and routes (music battles are just epic). For example, I can't bear them while I'm playing but I won't listen to them on Youtube like I would do with a fighting theme, or city themes from firsts generations and so on.

Well, my favourite Hoenn music is this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcoQbdQ1TwA&feature=related

JUST EPIC.

Patchisou Yutohru
January 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBepEXguNKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqMFwamY2A0

Nothing can really beat this... it's so exciting, and it's something that I hear all the time in my head. But I agree!! The trumpet (arguably my favorite instrument since I played it for so long) being used for the first time (I think) in Pokémon games was always exciting to me.

Xeberos
January 25th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hoenn has great music like Regi Trio music, Slateport City music, Abandoned Ship music and cave music. Only DP and BW has better music. Hoenn's music is little 'oldish' if you ask me but that's the reason why I like it. It reminds me FR and LG some times.

Alli
January 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Barely over a month old, but still, rules are rules. Don't post in threads over a month old.

Locked.