PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Removal of a certain emotion?

Mew~
April 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I know it won't kill anyone, and we can just press disable simileys before we post, but seriously what the heck is this ":O" supposed to be? Couldn't we just stop it from automatically changing into that and removing it from the site?

Yeah, just a little suggestion, even though it's not the biggest problem ever, but I think most people agree it's ugly and changes lining.

Hybrid Trainer
April 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have to agree, that smilie is the whole reason why i have them disabled in my text.

Perrie ✿
April 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
As much as I hate the smiley's I don't think it should be removed because it's ugly.

Why not just disable smilies? It's what everyone else does to avoid them. It's that hard, you can even make sure the Disable option is on permanently in your User CP.

Rukario
April 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
what?

:0 :o

o.o

its just a smilie.. disable or don't use the smilie code.

Crimson5M
April 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah I think this is my fault since I made a suggestion thread that there should be a smiley for it ages ago xD
But yeah, if you don't like it, just disable them. It's only a smiley :o

EDIT: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238932 :)

Mew~
April 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
But some of us might still like the other emoticons. :)

fenyx4
April 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM
You want to remove one of my emotions, OP? How dare you! ...well, I could do without experiencing sadness and anger. :(

I know it won't kill anyone, and we can just press disable simileys before we post, but seriously what the heck is this ":O" supposed to be? Couldn't we just stop it from automatically changing into that and removing it from the site?

Yeah, just a little suggestion, even though it's not the biggest problem ever, but I think most people agree it's ugly and changes lining.

Um...I think it's supposed to indicate shock, amazement, or surprise. But yeah, I have an issue with that smiley because there's multiple meanings for the emoticon ":o". The emoticon seems to indicate a higher level of "being surprised", yet sometimes I construe :o as...

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/kirby/kirby_070606c-l.jpg

IMO, the emote can also mean "innocent intrigue". I don't know how to explain that properly... The image posted above conveys it a bit better, I think. Kirby is not shown with an "OMG! Whoa!" facial expression, like the emoticon suggests. He seems surprised, but it's like a shy surprise. Like "Oh...whoa" or "Ooh". Something like that.

I think I preferred the old version of the smiley being discussed. But yeah, it sometimes carries a mistaken message, IMO, and its size is a bit bigger than all the other smileys, making it that much more noticeable. I would love to use :o in "visual emoticon" form, but the current one just seems to be too specific, and I don't want to disable all smileys just for one, problematic smiley. :\

My gosh - I didn't even know one could write this much detailing a smiley. >_>

Mew~
April 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Heh, well I do understand the meaning, but my main problem really is that it's just really ugly, and kinda big.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like, I reject ugly human beings, but its an emoticon. :P

LightOfTruth
April 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
You don't have to use it if you don't want too, I didn't know that smiley existed until you made a post on it :o

Sora's Nobody
April 25th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I agree with this. And i even made a thread about it once. I can make some new smileys if you like. Some to replace the standard ones. Or you could make another contest.. But they are very outdated.

Hybrid Trainer
April 25th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Actually, just popped into my head, couldn't you just put =O instead?
kinda contradicting myself but so what xD

donavannj
April 25th, 2011, 09:50 AM
This is actually an emoticon added in somewhat recently by Steve due to a request to have such an emoticon added for that particular character combination sometime in the last 4 months or so. If you don't like it, turn them off in your posts, and you'll reduce how many times you see it.

Melody
April 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
As much as I sympathize with the original posters of this thread, I also know there's already options in place which disable smileys in text.

It shouldn't be too hard to manually compose your post with the disable option ticked, and then when you're done drafting/previewing your post after inserting the smileys you DO want to include, it's not too hard to untick the box BEFORE you hit "Post" :<

Sorry, but this is how I do it. (And to be honest, I rather prefer the simplistic expressiveness of text-only emoticons anyway.)
Because you can't always trust or expect the staff to be able to please everyone with their visual smiley choices.

You don't have to let vB substitute images for them. Text-only emotes exist for a reason jsyk.

fenyx4
April 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Actually, just popped into my head, couldn't you just put =O instead?
kinda contradicting myself but so what xD

Uh...the mouth of ":O" seems too big. Not Kirby-ish enough. ^^ Lower-case o is the perfect size... XD

Jak
April 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
It was added as a joke iirc, because someone asked why there wasn't a :o smilie. It does look kinda creepy though. Like a pedophile. I would be happy to see it gone. Heck, any smilie really. -whistles and twiddles thumbs-

Sora's Nobody
April 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM
What about adding chock smileys in the vBulletin style? http://i56.tinypic.com/2h5sep1.png andor http://i55.tinypic.com/2drclds.png

fenyx4
April 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
It was added as a joke iirc, because someone asked why there wasn't a :o smilie.

Really? I could've thought that ":o" has always been implemented as a smiley in PC, as I distinctively remembering using it in months past before :o showed up. :cer_confused:

What about adding chock smileys in the vBulletin style? http://i56.tinypic.com/2h5sep1.png andor http://i55.tinypic.com/2drclds.png

Now that's the smiley that's less specific that I remember! ^^ The one on the right looks like it's considering eating me, though. XD

Cadance
April 25th, 2011, 02:44 PM
That smiley is the reason why I tend to stay away from the : O text. I usually use some alternatives, but I'll agree with everyone here. I would love to see it gone.

Vrai
April 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM
It was added as a joke iirc, because someone asked why there wasn't a :o smilie. It does look kinda creepy though. Like a pedophile. I would be happy to see it gone. Heck, any smilie really. -whistles and twiddles thumbs-

^

But you can always just use tags when you're writing stuff if you don't want it parsed into a smilie. Yeah, it's a little more effort, but if you really don't want to use that smilie than that's how it's gonna go. :(

countryemo
April 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
@above, the right one looks best :P
I can somewhat like :o but :O <-the big ugly smiley. is just yeah.

I wouldn't want to disable smiley's, even though I see people use it and they look ....
I honestly this that all these smiley's need a overhaul, to be replaced

Crimson5M
April 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
How about replacing :o with :shocked:?
Lol this is all my fault xD

vaporeon7
April 26th, 2011, 03:59 AM
How about replacing :o with :shocked:?
Lol this is all my fault xD

I think that is better. I always thought the eyes were ugly on the first one and the fact that the inside of the mouth is yellow annoys me. The second one would be a great improvement.

mew_nani
April 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I agree with you guys.

:O = THE HORROR!!!!! AAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

:shocked: = Much better. :D

Of course that's just one girl's opinion, but seriously... the eyes freak me out. :(

Pokemon Trainer Touko
April 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM
:O = ... ugly.
:shocked: = a little bit better
:D and :'( = >___> so uglyy. :|