PDA

View Full Version : Music Snobs - Your views?

Numbers
May 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. Not sure if I should've put it here or in Culture & Media.

I was wondering what people on here thought about music snobs? An by that I mean people who either;

1. Refuse to acknowledge any other types of music other than the ones they listen to, claiming that they suck and that if you like that type of music... You suck too.

2. Hate all mainstream music (to the point where they will like a band and then hate them if they reach the success of becoming mainstream.) and think that if you listen to mainstream bands then you are uncool and are a mindless sheep.

or

3. Think they know more about music than you, and that they are cooler than you because they listen to bands that hardly any people know about. (Usually saying stuff like "I liked this band before they were famous, now they are sell-outs and totally uncool")

Personally I hate music snobs. Just because a band goes mainstream doesn't mean they automatically suck. An yes, I listen to bands that not a lot of people know about (local bands and such) but I'd be delighted if some of these bands made it big as then more people would get a chance to hear them.
Also there's not a lot of genres of music I don't like. But I do hate music where the singer just screams through the whole song. Even so, it doesn't mean I'm going to hate anyone that likes that type of music.

So what are your thoughts on music snobs?
Or on the other hand are you actually guilty of one of the points above?

Timbjerr
May 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
I really dislike the three types of music snobs you've listed because they come off as more closed-minded than the casual music listeners that they criticize.

Inversely, I know at least one music snob irl that does the job right, as in they're open-minded to every music genre and artist regardless of whether they're mainstream or not, although they do tend to chastise artists that have changed style significantly since their debut. Having an extensive knowledge of music theory also helps them to understand and explain the subtleties of what makes a song good or bad more easily. XD

G.U.Y.
May 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I want to stab every music snob on the planet. :|

Camisado
May 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I don't have time for people that criticise other peoples' taste in music. I get this a lot because I listen to some bands that few people have heard of - and a lot of it is now house/dance/whatever and a lot of residual alternative rock - but there are odd things in my library like Katy Perry and Darren Hayes that make some people (even close friends?) judge me so ridiculously hard. And those are the people I don't have time for.

I'll listen to the music I like, and they can listen to the music they like, am I right? But I don't think it's cool to start bashing other people, especially when they don't ask for it. D:

Well...perhaps I didn't completely answer your question, but those are the only types of music snobs I've come into contact with!

Numbers
May 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I really dislike the three types of music snobs you've listed because they come off as more closed-minded than the casual music listeners that they criticize.

Inversely, I know at least one music snob irl that does the job right, as in they're open-minded to every music genre and artist regardless of whether they're mainstream or not, although they do tend to chastise artists that have changed style significantly since their debut. Having an extensive knowledge of music theory also helps them to understand and explain the subtleties of what makes a song good or bad more easily. XD

I suppose it's not as bad when the person is open to other types of music. :)
I'm also not sure whether I agree or disagree with him/her on the point that they chastise artists for changing their style when they become mainstream. Because on one hand he/she is right in the sense that maybe the artist should stick to the type of music that made them famous.
Then on the other hand maybe the artist changing their music style is to gain new fans or to simply experiment. You could argue either side I'm sure :)

Also on the point in bold, do you yourself agree with it? In my opinion you could have all the knowledge of musical theory in the world yet what makes a song good or bad is simply down to personal taste.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm starting an argument or anything XD

I'm actually quite envious of people that do music theory, being able to analyze music and break it down into elements etc. :D

I want to stab every music snob on the planet. :|

You're not alone, my friend!

I don't have time for people that criticise other peoples' taste in music. I get this a lot because I listen to some bands that few people have heard of - and a lot of it is now house/dance/whatever and a lot of residual alternative rock - but there are odd things in my library like Katy Perry and Darren Hayes that make some people (even close friends?) judge me so ridiculously hard. And those are the people I don't have time for.

I'll listen to the music I like, and they can listen to the music they like, am I right? But I don't think it's cool to start bashing other people, especially when they don't ask for it. D:

Well...perhaps I didn't completely answer your question, but those are the only types of music snobs I've come into contact with!

I'd say you answered the question well! :D
The part in bold is a point I can really relate to, I'll man up and say that I also have a bit of Katy Perry on the ol' iPod. Yet if one of my friends seen it I know they'd rip me to no end.
Infact if I let my friends decide what was on my iPod then I'd probably lose most of my music!

Oryx
May 4th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Also on the point in bold, do you yourself agree with it? In my opinion you could have all the knowledge of musical theory in the world yet what makes a song good or bad is simply down to personal taste.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm starting an argument or anything XD

I'm actually quite envious of people that do music theory, being able to analyze music and break it down into elements etc. :D

I think it doesn't help someone decide whether it's objective good or bad, but what they like about the song so they can try another one that's similar. I have a few friends that play guitar seriously and can tell the tuning of a song as it's being played. I've seen them tell other people "You like this song? Oh, it's Drop D tuning, listen to this song, it's really similar in that way". You have to admit, it's much more impressive if someone can whip out the technical reasons why they like a song. XD

There's an offshoot of the type 1 snob that I've been around. These people are still open to other types of music, but they're insistent that if you listen to a certain type enough, you'll grow to love it. There's some music that I like a lot and I personally can't understand when someone hates it, but I don't try to push it on them. I can accept that music is subjective, and music I subjectively think is amazing may be the bane of your existence. Meanwhile I'm subjected to their music over and over again, regardless of my opinion on it, because I just need to listen to it more. I wouldn't really consider that snobbery though, just major passion for a genre or even just a band that they can't understand why anyone else doesn't share it. XD

I used to be really ashamed of my music taste, honestly. I wouldn't let anyone see my mp3 player, I wouldn't show people the kind of music I liked, when they asked I would sidestep it with "I like a lot of different types". But a little while ago I decided that that was no way to handle it, and stopped being ashamed. XD I'm kind of proud of the fact that I like Taylor Swift and John Legend and System of a Down and Farewell Flight (some obscure indie band), to name a few of different genres and popularity levels. My iTunes goes from Skelpin, a great Irish band that my boyfriend introduced me to, to a few 90s pop songs, to a random Swedish band that plays instrumental music using mostly variations on the xylophone, to a few ska songs a friend sent me that I adore, and I don't feel the need to apologize for it anymore. XD

Nuke
May 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I'm partially guilty of 3 but only the 'knew them before they were famous' bit but I dont dislike for becoming famous nor dislike people who only just started liking them. I just like knowing I knew about them first.

Other than that, I do get pretty annoyed by 'music snobs'.

institutions
May 4th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I'm ashamed to say that i'm a little bit of number 1. I can't help it.

I know people like different things, and no one thing is "worse" than the other, but I can't help negatively judging people (in my head, not out loud) that listen to certain genres (not going to name them :D)
It's a curse. That's all it is really, a curse. :P

I don't have much to say about number 2. I like a lot of bands that were once/still are "mainstream". I don't like people that hate mainstream music. Though since I judge people based on what music they like, and hate others who do the same thing, I guess i'm a hypocrite. Great.

Number 3. God, i'm awful. There are a few bands I listen to that if they went mainstream (I don't think they will) I'd proudly declare that I listened to them first.

Wtf. I'm terrible D:
I didn't even know all this stuff about myself until I sat down and typed it out.

Avey
May 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Most of it is hilarious. I'm rather proud of myself for my versatile musical tastes but I'd never put down anyone for only listening to the charts or 80's Rock or anything else. I constantly try and tell people about new music I've found, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. No loss, what you enjoy is not down to me.

But to hate a band because they've become too mainstream? Because you're too lazy to listen to them? To only listen to one singer because you're too lazy to listen to anything else? To put down a band based on its genre? I find it kind of funny and kind of sad but it's not my business. I'll leave you to your limited, disillusioned taste and I'll have fun experimenting with new and old material.

So yeah basically anyone who supports 'music snobs' really needs to think about how they could side with them at all.

Cadance
May 4th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Guilty Pleasures, ah.

1. I can be one of those people sometimes, but I'm not afraid to admit that I like a certain artist that everyone hates these days. I like Selena Gomez, I like Britney Spears, and if people don't like how I like my music, it's their problem.

2. I used to hate mainstream music when I was in high school. Then I can't really stay away from it. Mainstream music has been taken over on 75% of the radio stations here in San Diego, so pretty much I'll be hearing Katy Perry's "ET" in 5 stations playing at the same time. I really don't mind mainstream music sometimes, but somehow, we need new material.

3. >_> my little cousin thinks he knows a lot about music. Heck, he's a music major. I ask him about the Foo Fighters, he ends up telling me about the day they started the band. lol Also, I can listen to artists I hardly know about, does that make me a snob? xD.

Mr Cat Dog
May 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I know lots of Number 2s, aka hipsters, and if there is one category that I could loosely identify myself with, it would unfortunately be this one. I don't think I'm quite that bad, but there are times where I do silently judge people who listen to the most mainstream of stuff, without bothering to at least try something outside of their comfort zone.

However, I'm lucky in that I don't have much contact with any of the other two groups of 'snobs' mentioned above. Number 1s just seem close-minded rather than anything else; it'd be nice if they opened up, but close-minded people normally end up staying that way for a long time. Number 3s just sound annoying.

BenjiTheKid
May 4th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I don't like music snobs but ESPECIALLY don't like the third variety of music snobs you mentioned. Liking a band when it isn't "cool" to do so... and then no longer liking said band when everyone does shows a lack of loyalty to me. I can't explain it in a way that will make sense, but I don't know, it just seems trivial and silly to stop liking something just because everyone else does. For example, I liked music from the 80's and 90's before it was the "cool" thing to do... and I still do because I thoroughly enjoy the music. Whether or not it is cool is irrelevant in the long run. If I enjoy the band, I'm going to listen to it. (It's like the My Chemical Romance thing... I liked them way before most of my friends knew who they were. Now everyone knows who they are and yet... I still like them!) The fact that people can just turn off their likes based on what the "mainstream" likes shows that they are just as easily controlled as those mainstream clones they hate.

I admit, I can be a bit of a music snob at times. Not like any of the three you've listed, though. I'm more or less one of those music snobs who prefers older music and won't be bothered with most newer musicians/bands (save for a select few). I'm not so much to the point, though, where I'll totally reject a band or musician before giving them a chance. I can be versatile with musical tastes at times. Sometimes. It all depends on my mood, really. The way I see it is: Music is music. It's a way to express oneself. Not everyone expresses themselves in the same way. Hence why we have so many genres of music to choose from. Get used to it.

Gold warehouse
May 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I openly criticise musicians; something which is often mistaken for criticising taste, which is something I'd never do. I'm constantly torn into for liking certain music, Linkin Park and Kanye West (along with hip-hop in general) being the two most common, so I'm usually on the receiving end of closed-mindedness. I will openly admit that some of the stuff I listen to is ****, but I still enjoy it so I don't care. I do get annoyed when people start talking out of their ass saying _______ is the best thing ever when it's not. Maybe then I'll turn into a ~music snob~ and tell someone they're totally wrong, but I'm not going to go out my way to diss somebody's personal tastes.

Level of popularity should never be used to judge music.

Esper
May 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM
It's fine if you think that some bands or genres are bad. I don't like country and western. Am I a snob because of that? Maybe. Would you still think I'm a snob if I told you I've tried listening to C&W several times and sampled several artists to get a feel for the genre? Not addressing you, but anyone who might point to someone who dislikes a particular genre and call them a snob. By the way, I haven't actually listened to any C&W so maybe you think I am a snob. I'm okay being called that. I'm happy with the breadth and depth of my music tastes. I'm similar in that respect to people who only listen to what's popular/mainstream/on the radio. We're satisfied with what we have. We might really like other music if we heard it, and I often do, but I know I don't need to in order to be happy with what I currently have.

And I'm usually very happy if a musician I like gets mainstream recognition. It means they can better support themselves and make more music. I don't always like changes musicians make to their styles, but that happens whether they find mainstream success or not.

Thomas
May 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Well, I am definitely not a #1 or a #2 (although I do listen to a lot of underground or indie music, I listen to a lot of mainstream stuff too). If I had to choose one thing that I am closest to, it would probably be #3, but I never condemn a band for going mainstream or becoming popular. A lot of times, I guess I can come off as a know-it-all just because I memorize facts about bands or singers easily.

But if someone was an extreme version of one of those categories, that would be quite annoying. Someone who hates all mainstream music just for the fact that is is mainstream or popular is just ridiculous.

Nutella
May 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM
1. Refuse to acknowledge any other types of music other than the ones they listen to, claiming that they suck and that if you like that type of music... You suck too.

Anybody that immature isn't worth talking about such a broad and subjective topic. I find that most, not all, metal listeners to be this way.

2. Hate all mainstream music (to the point where they will like a band and then hate them if they reach the success of becoming mainstream.) and think that if you listen to mainstream bands then you are uncool and are a mindless sheep.

Personally, I adore mainstream music. While I don't take offence to such closed-mindedness, it's a pity they need to validate their own sense of "uniqueness" by denying what they like.

3. Think they know more about music than you, and that they are cooler than you because they listen to bands that hardly any people know about. (Usually saying stuff like "I liked this band before they were famous, now they are sell-outs and totally uncool")

This is pretty annoying- when people make their bands famous, best-selling, popular, etc., they become a business and a commodity. Granted, once they're millionaires, there's no reason for them to remain *****es to fame. Who cares if they're greedy and out for cash? It has no bearing on whether one should enjoy the music they produce or not.

I especially hate it when they criticise the more "modern" music (like techno, dance-pop, house, etc.) for relying on non-traditional instruments. In addition, some "genre enthusiasts," such as metal, indie and classic rock fans, act as though their respective genre doesn't use Autotune and such. What a load of crap. Everyone uses it, bros.

To obvious extents, there is no such thing as a musical taste superior to another. It's all subjective, and no matter how "out-there" or "manufactured" a song is, it's still music; still a song.

PlatinumDude
May 5th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Music snobs don't really appreciate music, IMO. If they can't appreciate music, they shouldn't listen to it at all.

Numbers
May 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I have read through every bodies comments and I love hearing other peoples views on the topic.

It's fine if you think that some bands or genres are bad. I don't like country and western. Am I a snob because of that? Maybe.

Ahh sorry, this is something I forgot to add to my original post.
If people genuinely don't like a music genre or if people don't genuinely like what's in the charts at the moment then no I wouldn't class them as a music snob.
It may sound like I'm hating on people that don't like EVERY type of music.
Sorry if it came off that way.
Plus you said you have actually tried listening to a few C&W songs before you decided it wasn't your type of music. You're exactly the type of person I like. There are some people out there that have heard one song from a particular genre and didn't like it so they start saying the whole genre sucks whenever it's brought up.

Gunn
May 5th, 2011, 08:57 AM
There's this girl I know whose like some diehard metalhead and bashes some metal bands that she doesn't think are good, like Children of Bodom just because they use synths in their music, which she believes shouldn't belong in metal... and to top it off, she dares calls herself a music critic just to get it away with it. There is difference between giving out good and proper critique (and actually sounding like a sensible music critic) and just flat out being rude (and sounding like a jerk).

So yeah, music snobs suck.

Jak
May 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Why do indies and metalheads come to mind here? I think they're the biggest iggits in this regard, typically. Not always, but usually. Most metalheads will only listen to metal and they're all like "oh yeah man metallica YEAHHHH" and ugh it's like omg. Nothing wrong with Metallica, or Black Sabbath or any band of that nature, but you're not very musically educated if you're just listening to that and then go on to say every other genre sucks without giving it a fair chance. My sister used to be like this. She'd only listen to all her little emo bands and such and thanks to her fabulous brother playing DJ in the car, she gets a taste of other songs that aren't in that genre. So now she likes Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, some of my little indie songs...not sure she's feelin' The Mars Volta or Pendulum though. She thought TMV was a Mexican screamo band at first, lol.

As for indies, I think they're more snobby in the mainstream regard. I'm a bit of an indie myself, but I don't shun other genres. I can find a handful of songs in almost any genre that I like, even the widely-hated country genre. But shouldn't you be proud that your favorite bands get more well known and mainstream? They're making more money and getting more popularity...isn't that part of music? You want to be heard? But then again, I guess it doesn't matter how big your audience is, it's just a matter of having one. But taking a rise to the top isn't a bad thing, and I wish people could understand that.

Barney.
May 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
By your definitions, then yes, I am guilty of being a music snob.

I am open to all genres of music, but of course, there are some that I genuinely dislike, as with most people.
My main "claim to music snobbery" is that I really dislike pretty much all mainstream music, with few exceptions. I hate how most of them get rich and famous, purely for their "image" or "looks" not their talent, as most of them are talentless sell outs and I just generally hate the state that mainstream music is in.
But, do I hate a band that I used to like just because they've become popular? Not necessarily. Animal Collective are a band that really got popular as soon as their album "Merriweather Post Pavillion" hit, and it's one of my favourite albums ever and Animal Collective are still one of my favourite bands, even though I knew about them way before their "big break". But, if a band has completely changed everything that I once liked about them, purely to become successful *cough* Kings Of Leon *cough*, then yes I will hate on them, because they have completely ruined what once made them listenable and have simply sold out.
But yeah, most of my music is pretty underground and pretty independent.

TheUltimateSacrifice
May 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM
We've all done it, but very few people genuinally care what others listen to, do, etc. it's just natural not to, just like it's not natural to express such a personal thing as what music you listen to.

Esper
May 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
We've all done it, but very few people genuinally care what others listen to, do, etc. it's just natural not to, just like it's not natural to express such a personal thing as what music you listen to.
I've always had the impression that people like to talk about things they like, such as music. You could argue how much people genuinely care about others regarding any topic, but I think people share their music tastes because they want other people to enjoy them like they do so they can share in that feeling.

Arago
May 6th, 2011, 10:44 AM
The majority of my high school friends (and friends out of high school, too!) are the typical indie kids. The ones that fall mainly into #2, but have touches of #3. They're open to pretty much anything, including some mainstream music, but consider it to be purely for the purpose of shaking your hips and busting a move. For up until my sophomore year in high school, I was part of that crowd too. I despised pop music. I considered it to be empty, shallow, and common. Forgotten Memory (the member here!) actually was the one who introduced me into pop music.

Even today I have some feelings like that every now and then. I have a bipolar music taste, so to speak, so I listen to pretty much anything and I'm willing to give anything a chance, but I do have a touch of #3 in me. I consider people in #1 to be closed minded. I'll be blunt. I find that people who don't diverse themselves in the genres and levels of popularity to be narrow-minded and less than desirable to be around.

But yes! I am somewhat a music snob in those regards. A hybrid of 2 & 3, I'd say. I may not be much of 2 now, but I think people who primarily focus on listening to mainstream music to be rather... less cool and intelligent than those who listen to more underground artists, and I do think that some are kind of mindless sheep in addition to considering them to be narrow-minded.

I have to say, I have been guilty of playing the "I knew them before they were popular!" card on more than one occasion. I don't judge people on their music taste, though. Their music taste is theirs, and if that's what they like, so be it. I just ask that they put headphones in when I'm around if I don't agree with something that they listen to and I try to do the same. My brother's a metalhead, and I just cannot bear listening to the music he prefers. He's the only exception to the standard I set myself to. I'm trying to convert him into someone who appreciates more than Slipknot and some other obscurely named band! But I do do that for reasons like Scarf said. I do like having my friends listen to the same music I listen to, and I do get on them about not liking something I really like.

Silver
May 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm a self proclaimed music snob I guess. Though not in the ways you describe in your first post. I'm more of, I'll listen to any sort of music so long as it's good and not autotuned to hell and back (as an example). Meh, it's really hard to quantify what I am.

I like 'real music', take that for whatever you want, and yes I tend to look down on people with very narrow minded music taste and no willingness to expose themselves to diverse and new music.

Maybe I'll type up a better post when I feel more like trying to describe what I am musically.

hyperblast81
May 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Alright, music snob here. Here's my point of view on the whole 'mainstream' debate thing.

Its not so much that I hate a band because their mainstream (well, lets face it, what I listen to is pretty freakin' far). It's the fact that 99% of the mainstream music out there is generic, made-for-the-masses, auto-tune garbage. And that is the ONLY type of music that is getting exposure to the people, and thus, what they are forced to like. I mean, unless you know someone who tells you to check out some other ways to get exposed to more underground stuff, your just gonna sit with what good momma radio gives you.

And about #1's, Whoa, closed-minded much? I mean, yeah, I'm a metalhead, thats because every other kind of music I've heard of besides Classical (which I like too) lacks the progression and emotion to keep me entertained.

About #2's, Well, read the first big paragraph.

About #3's: The whole 'sellout' thing is controversial. I'm PERFECTLY fine with a band getting famous on their own talent. However, let's take an example I know about, Metallica. Alright, so during the 80's Metallica were one of the best bands metal had to offer. However, when they went into the 90's, they decided to change their sound SO MUCH that it completely alienated a large amount of their original fanbase and such. Then, they realized that, despite they weren't truely the original Metallica, that new sound that came in 1991 with The Black Album would make them more money so they stuck with that particular sound. That is one of the reasons I don't respect them, they sold out, as in, changed their sound for the SOLE purpose of making more money.

Now let's take another example that I know of, a more obscure New York based Metalcore act, called Through the Flood. At this time, they have recently released their very first EP. I absolutely adore their music that they have created so far. Anyway, they are trying to get signed to a record label called Victory Records, that produces a lot of other Metalcore and Deathcore acts, such as A Day to Remember, Carnifex, Aiden, and Between the Buried and Me. If they got signed and started making money, that would NOT at ALL be selling out, for they didn't change their sound for the sole purpose of making more money, instead, they would get signed because their music is good.

Well, yeah, there be my opinions, feel free to agree or disagree.

EDIT: Whoa, I just realized how well my new signature seems to fit the 'selling out' topic.

Pekin
May 10th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Oh, you mean hipsters? (ba-dam-tsch!)

Aight, kidding. Well. I would never claim to be a music snob, as I listen to a lot of different music; Jazz, Hip Hop, Metal, Country and so forth. This includes a lot of mainstream music, too. For instance, I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan. Having said that, I still dislike the concept of selling out. Now, it's always hard to tell, when an underground band gains success, whether or not they sold out, or if they just enjoyed writing a different kind of music. Take bands like The Rasmus and Linkin Park, for instance; With a few new albums, they have both changed rapidly in musical style and songwriting. Heck, I like both the old and the new Linkin Park, and that goes for The Rasmus, as well. I'm not saying any of them sold out, maybe they just wanted to write something different from their other stuff? The Rasmus already did that once before, they used to play Funkcore/Rap-music in the old days.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say now, hahah. I guess I'm trying to say that music is music, mainstream or not. If you enjoy listening to it, why not listen to it? And why does anyone have to meddle in other people's opinions?