PDA

View Full Version : Favourite generation of starters?

Derezzed
May 4th, 2011, 04:21 AM
So we've seen five generations of starters, all have their strengths and weaknesses. Which generation do you feel has the best set of starters?, whether in design terms or battling potential.

Arma
May 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Gen III by far, They look the coolest of them all. And, they have good offensive stats.

Sodom
May 4th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I chose Generation 1 for a few reasons:
1) It is the only generation to provide us with a final evolution who can fly.
2) It is iconic, particularly Charizard, though all of them are some of the most famous Pokemon in the world.
3) The middle evolutions - Ivysaur, Charmeleon and Wartortle - are my favourites of any series.
4) Obvious nostalgia.

My second favourite was Gen 2, then Gen 3, then Gen 5 and finally Gen 4.

Dragonite's Wrath
May 4th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Gen 2 had solid types through it's starter evolutions. Totodile looks like a dragon, and looks awesome, and is a sweeper, Cyndaquil is a sweeper and Chikorita is strong if you use it right.

BenjiTheKid
May 4th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Generation II, definitely. Typhlosion and Feraligatr are power houses and they both look awesome. Meganium is pretty decent for a grass Pokemon and, also, looks awesome. Generation I comes in a close second... but misses the cut for me because I've never been a fan of Venusaur. Since I usually go with the fire type, I like how generation I & II don't make me choose a Fighting type as well. The fire/fighting starter trend is getting annoying since I detest fighting types. So, both I & II are favorites.

Nuke
May 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Anyone who picks Gen V should kill themselves.

Gen I, they're originals and overall they have the best designs too.

My opinions on the others,

II - Typhlosion is my favourite pokemon and his pre-evos are pretty cool.
Unfortunately across the other two lines I only like Totodile.

III - I like each evolution line in each stage but not as good as I.

IV - Torterra just look silly. Empoleon & Infernape lines are okay-ish.

V - Tepig - okay. Tepig's evos - awful. The others - awful.

Seeds Horizon
May 4th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Gen I, mainly its the starters that started it all, and for most people, the first Pokes you ever got in any Poke game. Plus, as someone stated above me, they were iconic, especially Charizard, Pikachu, and Blastoise seeing as they were the first Pokes featured..Well Venusaur too for Green version XD. I also think that we grew attached to them, since without them we would have never made it past Pewter, unless you caught a Rattata and trained it up.. But mostly, I like them because they are just so..Cuuuute. Especially Charizard with his flaming tail, then you got Blastoise with his..Water pump things, and Venusaur with his MEGA SUPER DUPER flower on his back, and Pikachu with the lightning tail <3. Second would be Gen V (Sorry..) because Snivy is cute, look at those little hands and that tail! And Tepig, makes me see pigs in a new light. Also Ottawot, otters FTW?~?~?. <3.

Timbjerr
May 4th, 2011, 09:01 AM
It's a close call between GenIII and GenIV

In GenIII, we have the super awesome Sceptile and Swampert while GenIV gave us the super awesome Torterra and Infernape. It seems every generation has one starter I just don't like, either due to their overpopularity or their meh designs (Charizard, Meganium, Blaziken, Empoleon, and Samurott to be exact) but I love the other two for sure. XD

I'll have to go for GenIII because Sceptile and Swampert combined are just a bit cooler than Torterra and Infernape combined. XD

PlatinumDude
May 5th, 2011, 02:57 AM
I like Gen IV's starters. They're all viable competitively, and have final evolved forms with cool designs, tied with Unova's and Sinnoh's.

SuperSaiyanII
May 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I always thought that Gen III had the best final evolution stages for the starters. Sceptile was really underpowered back then but it was still fun for me to use and of course I like it's design.Gen III also has the first water/ground and fire/fighting types which happen to be the starters Swampert & Blaziken.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
May 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Definitely Gen 5. Mijumaru, Tsutarja and Pokabu are the strongest. XD

King Of The Blues
May 5th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Good old generation I for me. I love all of the three starters. Their first and final stage design and evolution are the best in my opinion. I don't like their second stage evolutions though. Out of the three starters, my favourite one of them would probably be Venusaur.

Hikamaru
May 5th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Gen 5 has the coolest starters, especially Oshawott's cuteness.

Arcaninerz
May 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Generation 2 for me because of totodile

gameplayer56
May 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Gen 5, I just like Oshawott's evo family design, & i fell in love with Snivy's evo family design, Gen 4 comes after that, again because of the designs & as well, Gen 3.

adamant57
May 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I like Gen 3 because of Mudkips. Everyone lieks Mudkips. :D

Then Gen 2 because of the Totodile line. Followed by Gen 1 because of Blastoise

Pwnyta Jockey
May 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The starters from third gen paired well with certain early wilds which made for convenience of runs with a goal of a low time for main story completion.

Blaziken + Lanturn + Breloom
Swampert + Breloom + Swellow

Sydian
May 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Gen III. Moving to Pokemon General. Sorry if this will just be more trash, Shawn. :(

Naruto Uzumaki
May 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Gen. II.

It has pure water, grass and fire types, no additions and the way they all should be. Gen. I is good, but I think Gen. II is more ionic, and it has some better/stronger ones. :D

Zeffy
May 8th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Anyone who picks Gen V should kill themselves.
I choose Gen V.

Simply because these starters made me rekindle my love for the games when I was about to give up. The starters from the first to fourth gen, they're not that special. If I were to choose my least favourite starter group, I'd probably choose the Gen I starters. They aren't that great in my opinion.

And in my opinion, a lot of people are killing themselves with nostalgia. :/
/inb4saidpeopleflamesme

Eucliffe
May 8th, 2011, 05:32 AM
To be honest, it would have to be a cross between gen. II and gen. V. I love all three starters in both gens. and their final evolutions, and I love their designs, too. Gen. III is somewhat close but I'm not a big fan of Torchic's evos. too much. It also took me a while to like Squirtle in gen. I whereas I fell in love with all the starters in gens. II and V almost immediately.

I'm with Zeffy on the nostalgia thing. I ~LOVE~ gen. V and its starters and it'll stay that way for a long while!

Maple Leaf
May 8th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I personally think that all starters are completely overrated.

Since you want me to give an actual answer, though... I would have to say Generation One. I just loved Squirtle and Charmander - who could beat those?!

Scyan
May 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM
GI or GII, after that I never really liked them, and even sometimes removed them from my squad entirely.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
May 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I can't decide!! :D

Gen 1: Adore Charizard with a burning passion, as for the other lines, I like Wartortle and Ivysaur slightly

Gen 2: Love Typhlosion's line, Chikorita's is okay and I like Totodile and Feraligatr

Gen 3: Treecko's line rules, I like Torchic, can't stand the Mudkip line

Gen 4: Piplup's line's my favourite, I'm in the middle with Turtwig's and I can't stand Chimchar's at all

Gen 5: Love Snivy and Samurott, not overly fond of Tepig and its evolutions

Hmm... I was hoping if I laid it all out like that it would help, but it doesn't lol :D

Eпvy
May 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I have to give this one to Generation II. None of them were weird. Well neither were the Generation I ones, but I'm sure they get enough love as it is for being from Generation I lol.

I don't really care for the Generation V starters, but I haven't played the game yet.

Seki
May 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Gen I. I do not know why but its just awesome.

Aurora01
May 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
It's a close tie between Gen I and Gen II.
Gen I because it was first, obviously and because Blastoise is so cool. :3
Gen II because it's my favorite Generation and Typhlosion is the best.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
May 19th, 2011, 07:58 AM
My favourite is Gen 3, mostly because of the grass line.

Zaspien
May 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I like the versatility of the starters in generation four. The fact that they all had unique traits and aesthetics made them all seem like three excellent starters. The other generations had this idea but none were implemented as well as generation four. Furthermore, their battling prowess was.. Amazing. No other generation of starters, in my opinion, were as good for all around battling in the games as the generation four starters.

LatiasSoulDew
May 21st, 2011, 02:14 AM
For me choosing them in groups was difficult. but, I'll say Generation I. :)

RyanGT
May 21st, 2011, 04:04 AM
Nothing beats the 1st Generation. Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, just classic.

R.K 9
May 21st, 2011, 01:23 PM
I really love them all, except gen 4, where my favourite one is piplup which is ok. the other two are boring.
as for my favourite chain of starters, it's probably gen 2 with gen 1 & 5 closely behind. chikorita, cyndaquil and totodile are all really cool starters, and I find it even more difficult to choose which one is my favourite. :(

miju-kun
May 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Gen III.
Ha! You thought I was gonna pick Gen. 5, but you were wrong! I'm so awesome because 3rd Gen is!

Treecko is awesome
Torchic is awesome
Mudkip is awesome
but Mijumaru is the best

Masqueraine
May 22nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Second gen no doubt. I can't really come up with an actual reason, it's just because they're what I started with in my first pokemon playthrough.

Water Master Roxy
May 23rd, 2011, 04:52 AM
Gen 2 I like best because of Feraligatr and I like the other 2 Cyndaquil and Chikorita aswell.

Doppelgänger
May 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Generation 2, Johto :3

I love all three of them and their evolutions.

Ēfi
May 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
The first one! First generation Pokémon forever! <3

ManhattanTheStarr
May 28th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Gaaah, that's a toughie... Both Gen II and III starters were awesome. Dx I think I'll go with Gen III though, since I really love all three of the starters, but with Gen II, I easily overlook Cyndaquil. =/

Oshige
May 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM
i wouldn't be able to pick just one so i would just have to say all the watter starters those are my favorite ones i love watter pokemon.

2Cool4Mewtwo
May 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Gen I is my favorite generation of starters, because I grew up with it ever since I was around 7 years old (and aside from nostalgia factor, charizard and blastoise owns all. venusaur isn't as cool as those two but still awesome), though Gen II and III comes close for favorites.

Conjurer
May 28th, 2011, 10:40 PM
It's a toss-up between Gen 2 and Gen 4 for me, but I'll say Gen 2 due to nostalgia values <3

Darthrai
May 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Gen 1 by far - you really can't beat Charizard. Venusaur is also awesome, and Blastoise is pretty cool too (although I personally prefer Feraligatr and Samurott).

Gen 5 is probably second-favourite, I'd like them a bit more if not for Emboar's "meh" design and lazy typing.

Blaziken15
May 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Gen 3 because Torchic evolves into Combusken which evolves into the greatsest Pokemon of all time (echoes) BLAZIKEN!