PDA

View Full Version : The cake is a lie! → [ Portal fanclub. ]

Alternative
May 6th, 2011, 05:01 AM
http://www.bindgroup.com/main/images/portal-icon2.png
The cake is a lie! → The Portal fanclub.

This is a fanclub for anyone who likes the Portal games, or just likes the concept of them or whatever. :P Here you can discuss the games, any strategies you may have for the levels, or GLaDOS, the Generic Lifeform and Disk Operating System. Just discuss anything and everything Portal here!

→ Rules
- Follow all Pokécommunity wide rules, as well as Other Clubs rules.
- Respect everyone here of the Portal fanclub.
- Don't use excessive amounts of portals to hit other members in the back of the head.
Have a great time discussing things here!

→ Current Members
→ Alternative
→ Lightning
→ Zeffy
→ TheSmartOne
→ NurseBarbra
→ institutions
→ zZJoennZz
→ Hybrid Trainer
→ Para-Dox
→ Tyranee
→ RASENCERO
→ .Aero
→ Xyrin
→ Rukario
→ Freedom Fighter N
→ Åzurε
→ Bonechill
→ Mizan de la Plume Kuro
→ Pichu_fan

→ Discussion topics
Why do you love the Portal series?
What is your favourite Portal obstacle?
How do you feel about the different gels?

Cherrim
May 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Joining! :)

I love the Portal series because it's such a smart puzzle game. Puzzles are one of my favourite genres and it's combined so superbly with FPS. But my favourite thing about the series has got to be the writing. It's got some of the wittiest lines I've ever heard. GLaDOS's lines have always made me laugh.

Alternative
May 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Added. :)
I think the one thing I really like about Portal is the different type of game. It doesn't appeal to just one audience, and anyone can really pick it up and play whenever they feel like it. It's also a game which works your brain and you can't really get sick of it, or rage quit either. :D Also I think it's awesome to learn from GLaDOS and yell at everyone saying "fatty fatty no parents". XD;

Zeffy
May 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joinage...you monster.

But yeah. I haven't played Portal, but I have watched someone play it and it was awesome! I mean, GLaDOS is the best villain ever. xD

Ryanna Jameson
May 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joining, god know why. :/

I have a love-hate relationship with the Portal series.

On one hand, everybody who knows me knows that I HAVE NO ATTENTION SPAN. This... is possibly one of the worst qualities to bring into play while playing Portal. I often stop to look at whatever happens to be on the walls in a particular chamber [or place], and spend ages trying to find out what I should be doing because I can't concentrate on one objective very long.
And I am terrible at the first-person type of controlling, and have terrible reflexes. And any noise scares me, especially when turrets start shooting at me because my terrible reflexes can't get me out of the way fast enough. (That should tell you how bad I am- they're pretty slow ;_;)

On the other... I love puzzles. I love the wit and dry humor that the games are chock-full of. I love that I can just pick up and play any time. I love that there are all sorts of interesting ways to complete tasks and such. [I also love bickering with my boyfriend when he starts criticizing or trying to direct me. xD]

I still can't settle on how I feel about it as a whole though. But, I'm in.

Alternative
May 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Cool more people! :D
I remember when I first started playing the game myself, and I would shoot two portals, and walk through it, and I was like whoa! And it was really hard to get used to the whole Portal style. I stuck with it because in the end I knew it was for science... you monster.

Ryanna Jameson
May 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I had trouble at first, too. Especially when doing like... a double-fling. Considering that I do not adapt quickly to new things, and having to figure out which way I am facing, then point where I should be going, and fire the right-colored portal in the precise location... I was terrible at it, ugh. I still have a bit of trouble, but omg was I bad at it.

It also made me slightly dizzy. ^^;

NurseBarbra
May 10th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I shall join. I'm not doing it for personal reasons though, I'm just in it for the science. By the way...

This,
Statement,
Is,
FALSE.
(Don'tthinkaboutit...Don'tthinkaboutit...Don'tthinkaboutit...Don'tthinkaboutit...Don'tthinkaboutit...Don'tthinkaboutit...)

Youtube video~:
7fyelbNHAuQ

Two Pics:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/121/149/burn_my_house_down_by_super_cute-d3f9ymd.png?1304832776http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/121/178/combustible_lemons_by_dustoff_ex-d3f1l3a.jpg?1304833740

Zeffy
May 10th, 2011, 03:53 AM
All these playthrough discussion, makes me want to play Portal more. I want to play Portal 2's Co-op mode. It looks fun! :3

NurseBarbra
May 10th, 2011, 04:03 AM
All these playthrough discussion, makes me want to play Portal more. I want to play Portal 2's Co-op mode. It looks fun! :3
Pretty hard to play if you don't have the game. (Even though its only about €10 on steam~)

Zeffy
May 10th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Pretty hard to play if you don't have the game. (Even though its only about €10 on steam~)
Well obviously you can't play when you don't have the game. But hey, that doesn't stop me from being a fan. :U

Alternative
May 10th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I'd advise you get it Zeffy. It really is a great game if you're into puzzles and stuff. I mean, you don't get the ability to say "apple" but at least you learn how to jump, which is a good thing I suppose.

Zeffy
May 10th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I'd advise you get it Zeffy. It really is a great game if you're into puzzles and stuff. I mean, you don't get the ability to say "apple" but at least you learn how to jump, which is a good thing I suppose.
I will get it, but not for a while. I should get the PS3 version because we don't have any computers that could run the PC version.

Alternative
May 10th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Well at least the PS3 version can connect to your Steam account and you can play with people on PC or something from your PS3. It might be good to get it later as well, as there is DLC coming out for the game, and it's free!

Zeffy
May 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Sounds cool~

And I wanted to ask. Which ending credit song did you guys like best? I liked the one for Portal 2 best, 'Want you Gone'. I mean, just listen to it. Its like GLaDOS had some voice lessons. xD

NurseBarbra
May 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Well at least the PS3 version can connect to your Steam account and you can play with people on PC or something from your PS3. It might be good to get it later as well, as there is DLC coming out for the game, and it's free!
I think that PS3 Version will eventually, because of steamworks, be able to play bonus maps on it, which would be awesome~ Just a thought though.

institutions
May 10th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I'd like to join, I guess :P

I'm not as big of a Portal fan as some other people, but I do love the series. The humor is top-notch in both games. Portal 2 had me cracking up through the entire campaign. I say i'm not as big a fan as some other people because there are still a lot of challenge maps I haven't finished on Portal 1 and I haven't even started Portal 2 co-op, mainly because I don't have any friends.
Plus my computer lags sometimes when there's a lot of gel. It'd just be frustrating.

Although, I haven't played the co-op, i've seen nearly every co-op chamber thanks to the Yogscast and a few other Let's Players (Seananners and Hutch, PotatoOrgy and Snipergoo, etc.)

I can't really find anything else to say on the topic...

Alternative
May 10th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I thought the co-op had a great spin to it. It's still difficult like the first one, and it's always fun. I was playing it with my friend, and we played the co-op mode for like, 4 hours straight because it was so fun. I remember the chamber where you have to hit a button and stop these spike walls from crushing you, and that chamber was probably my favourite of them all. :D

What's your favourite Portal obstacle?

Zeffy
May 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Turrets are obstacles right? If they are, then they're my favourite obstacle! <3
They're destructive yet so adorable at the same time. *put me down!!* :D

zZJoennZz
May 10th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Seems to be good, gonna join, can I join?

institutions
May 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM
By obstacles I almost thought you meant game mechanics *facepalm*

For some reason I really like the rooms with huge sections of floor missing, leading to either a huge hole or that toxic water sludge stuff.
Probably because my two favorite game mechanics (momentum and aerial faith plates) are almost always used in them :P

Hybrid Trainer
May 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
omg i love portal :D so joining.

My favourite obstacle would be the turret, there so human. it almost makes me feel bad when i kill them in various ways x]

Boomburst
May 10th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Eh, I'll join for the purpose of reminding me to finish the first one.

Why do I love the Portal series? I like it's clever gameplay that fuses a FPS and a Action RPG.

Alternative
May 10th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I added everyone. :3

I think my favourite obstable would be the Repulsion Gel (Orange). It's just so weird and cool and orange, and makes you run really fast, like a bullet. Turrets are cool as well, and also Aerial Faith Plates. :)

@Para-Dox I think you might be the key to beating GLaDOS in the first one, if you ask me. :P

Zeffy
May 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Oh yeah, I also like that blue gel. I forgot what's it called (well I don't even know what's it called so I just call it blue gel). I'm a fan of jumping really high and that blue gel does just that. :D

Ryanna Jameson
May 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Repulsion gel, I think it is.

I quite like having to use the white gel to make places for portals. Not sure why, but I enjoy it.

Tyranee
May 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I've played through Portal 1 and 2 and I must say Portal 1 is good but 2 blows it out of the water! I love the characters and I loved the ending. Hoping Valve will make a Portal 3 but there's no telling yet.

Alternative
May 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I always thought the White gel was really cool. Being able to spill it and make portals wherever is always cool. :3

RASENCERO
May 13th, 2011, 11:38 AM
*Joins for science*
What, no cake?

I recently played portal 1 & 2 in a row and I was sold.
Everything about it is funny, yet dangerous. My favorite obstacle would be...
GLaDOS's insults! Why is that an obstacle you ask? Even though you can't speak, you dangerous mute lunatic. Demotivation can be funny as hell powerful.
Btw, have you guys read the lab rat comic?

It ain't over until the fat turret sings!

institutions
May 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I've played through Portal 1 and 2 and I must say Portal 1 is good but 2 blows it out of the water! I love the characters and I loved the ending. Hoping Valve will make a Portal 3 but there's no telling yet.

I'd also love more Portal, I just don't see how they can do another one. Imo, Portal 2 ended perfectly. I've read on another forum a pretty cool idea for a prequel of sorts, I just don't know how good it would be after the masterpiece that is Portal 2.

Can't wait for this summers free DLC though :P It should be a blast.

RASENCERO
May 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM
A prequel? Interesting. Could be possible. Even with Chell.
With a storyline something like this:
Poster:
Aperature science is recruiting new test subjects! Also, tomorrow is bring your daughter to work day. Don't forget to show her our testing range, we have no age requirements.
Voluntary participation is mandatory for all Aperature employees. Those who make it through the initial testing get a prize and will be stored in stasis until called for testing!

So people, Chell, "volunteers" and gets tested by GLaDOS (who is ordered to not speak of these preliminary tests, since rejected people might file complaints). As a result of the testing the chart shown the comic is made for the test subjects. This before the lab gets flooded with the neurotoxine. Maybe even during the flooding.

Could work, no?

Alternative
May 14th, 2011, 12:45 AM
If there was a prequel to Portal or something, I think it would be based around the times of the man who talks about the combustible lemons and Caroline. Before the time GLaDOS was built, and before all that stuff.

Åzurε
May 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
-Joins Club-
I may be a fat orphan, but at least I can join this club.

I don't know if they could do a prequel and still call it Portal. That's a major problem with the games- if it wasn't called "Portal" I wouldn't feel the need for the basic gameplay to stay the same, and that would open up more opportunities.

I'm looking forward to how Chell plays into the Half-Life universe from this point forward. That's what I'm counting on~

Alternative
May 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I've known thet Portal has some sort of connection to the Half-Life series (maybe by portals?), but I've never really gotten into the Half-Life series, but it might be worthwhile to check it out. :)

I think a prequel could work, but not for at least a year or two. A prequel which told us how Chell got into the Portal game would be fantastic, and maybe the beginning of GLaDOS, with all the glitches these robots come with when first built.

Aaanyway~ who's going to be getting the Portal 2 DLC when it comes out soon?

institutions
May 15th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I've tried the Half Life games, but i can't get into them.
I'm 1-2 hours into HL2 and I dread picking it back up.
It just doesn't interest me at all.

Of course i'll be getting the DLC when it comes out; it's free :P
Who wouldn't?
I'm sure it'll be awesome.

.Aero
May 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm interested in joining. :] My post contains spoilers. :x

Why Do You Love the Portal Series?
I think it's awesome mostly because of the dialogue and the hilarious dark humor that it presents. GLaDOS is possibly my favorite video game character of all time, due to her hilarious banter as you perform tests, and during Portal 2 I acquired an (artificial) attachment toward her while she was a potato. I also really enjoy the "Aha!" moments that the series has when you solve a puzzle after several failed attempts. Puzzle games in general are enjoyable, but this game took it to a whole new level and I appreciate Valve's dedication to the excellent pacing of the game too.

On a different topic, I'd like to share a realization that I had today. Please stop reading if you do not want any major spoilers of the Portal 2 game. (Heck, they might spoil Portal 3 if I'm right.)

I believe, after thinking about it, and finding some rather definitive evidence, that GLaDOS is Chell's mother. Why do I think this? GLaDOS used to be Caroline, therefore making her human and making it possible for her to be a mother in the first place. Now I matched this up by a few bits of evidence. In "Want You Gone", GLaDOS sings that Chell reminds her of Caroline, which could hint at the hereditary resemblance between them. In the "Turret Opera" song (I call it Cara Mia, as that's what it's actually called), the Italian translation of the opera lyrics become a farewell, which is fitting for the scene. However, some instances, the lyrics directly translate to "My dear baby girl". If this isn't enough to convince you, the picture that unlocks an achievement which can be found in the condemned portion of Aperture Labs (the part with Cave Johnson), depicts both Caroline (with a striking resemblance to Chell) and Johnson together, and in the very back, left spot of the picture, there is a small child bundled up in blanket (this is very hard to see, but it's there). I believe this child is Chell. There were other reasons I had, but I can't quite remember them right now. D: I'll figure out what they were and let you all know later if you're still interested lol.

Oh yes, I remember another. In the spot with the "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" and the potato experiments, there is a project with "By Chell" written on it. It's on the one that's growing out big time and I think GLaDOS comments on how it's growing so much. Well first off, obviously Chell is you. But the whole "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" must mean Chell is the daughter to someone who works at Aperture Labs. Well, both Cave Johnson and Caroline did, so I assume she is their daughter.

Sorry for that wall of text inside there. :x

Zeffy
May 15th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Mainly because of GLaDOS, and the adorable little turrets! :3
And portals too, of course.

Åzurε
May 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
The very concept behind it all. "Hey, you know what I want? A gun that shoots portals on the wall." And it becomes an awesome game, with a unique sense of humor, quotability, memorable characters (if you forget one you've left out half the cast), very fitting aesthetics, good plot, ties to another series (Who's a sucker for crossovers? Me.), and the ability to effectively evoke emotions. It makes my inner artist sing. Almost as well as an Italian turret. Or Matt Berninger.

So yeah. If "good points of Portal" ever comes up on a test, there are your notes. I bet there's more.

RASENCERO
May 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Basically, I agree with the before posted opinions, but adding the following:
I love how everything works perfectly with the physics and stuff, the plot is basic but the plot twists/ building 180 turn in the plot keeps it interesting. And the humor between lvl's keep the edge off.

I believe, after thinking about it, and finding some rather definitive evidence, that GLaDOS is Chell's mother. Why do I think this? GLaDOS used to be Caroline, therefore making her human and making it possible for her to be a mother in the first place. Now I matched this up by a few bits of evidence. In "Want You Gone", GLaDOS sings that Chell reminds her of Caroline, which could hint at the hereditary resemblance between them. In the "Turret Opera" song (I call it Cara Mia, as that's what it's actually called), the Italian translation of the opera lyrics become a farewell, which is fitting for the scene. However, some instances, the lyrics directly translate to "My dear baby girl". If this isn't enough to convince you, the picture that unlocks an achievement which can be found in the condemned portion of Aperture Labs (the part with Cave Johnson), depicts both Caroline (with a striking resemblance to Chell) and Johnson together, and in the very back, left spot of the picture, there is a small child bundled up in blanket (this is very hard to see, but it's there). I believe this child is Chell. There were other reasons I had, but I can't quite remember them right now. D: I'll figure out what they were and let you all know later if you're still interested lol.

Oh yes, I remember another. In the spot with the "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" and the potato experiments, there is a project with "By Chell" written on it. It's on the one that's growing out big time and I think GLaDOS comments on how it's growing so much. Well first off, obviously Chell is you. But the whole "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" must mean Chell is the daughter to someone who works at Aperture Labs. Well, both Cave Johnson and Caroline did, so I assume she is their daughter.

Agreed, I also figured as much.

Alternative
May 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Must. Keep. Alive.
What do you guys feel on the emphasis that you can't die in this game? I think it's decent in this sort of game, since you don't want to be wasting time worrying about lives, but I would like to see some sort of reward for completing harder chambers without dying, or doing it quickly.

.Aero
May 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
As Chell you do die. It just reloads because well...if you died, who would replace you etc. xD Only ATLAS and P-Body can't die. But I think I know what you're saying. xD

A lot of games are turning to this "checkpoint" type system because of the general gamer's lack of difficulty sense. I take it most of us here are hardcore gamers (as who goes on a forum for pokemon if they're not a hardcore gamer?). So the idea of what's difficult for us is skewed a bit more. I know if you had lives and had to restart, say, a chapter of Portal 2 after dying 3 times in a row, my little brother would hate the game with a passion. It has to do with attention span and the fact that I believe the more casual (but not super casual) demographic of gamers gets more easily frustrated at little things that hardcore gamers have become accustomed to and who appreciate a challenge.

I personally don't mind the checkpoint system in this particular game. I feel having to restart a chapter after losing lives or so would disrupt the flow of what really makes the game enjoyable to me: constantly unique puzzles and hilarious, ingenious dialogue. Having to repeat either the dialogue or the puzzles constantly due to any inefficiencies on my part would drag the game down if you ask me, and it would also hinder experimentation while looking for solutions to a puzzle.

I agree though. Rewards for a flawless run on certain rooms would be nice. I do know there's a trophy/achievement in the co-op mode for completing 5 chambers in a row without either ATLAS or P-Body "dying". But that's the only reward I can think of. I know there's two achievements/trophies that actually reward you FOR dying. xD

Xyrin
May 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joining. ;] Just beat Portal 2 and it's amazing. The end was so awesome. I love the way you feel good after solving a puzzle. When you finally get to that point where you say "Oh...Wait! This is what I do!" And then you just solvbe the puzzle after a while.

Rukario
May 21st, 2011, 11:07 PM
SPACE

SPACE

SPACE

SPACE

GOTTA GET TO SPACE

SPACE!

awesome club
*joins*

Alternative
May 21st, 2011, 11:30 PM
As Chell you do die. It just reloads because well...if you died, who would replace you etc. xD Only ATLAS and P-Body can't die. But I think I know what you're saying. xD

A lot of games are turning to this "checkpoint" type system because of the general gamer's lack of difficulty sense. I take it most of us here are hardcore gamers (as who goes on a forum for pokemon if they're not a hardcore gamer?). So the idea of what's difficult for us is skewed a bit more. I know if you had lives and had to restart, say, a chapter of Portal 2 after dying 3 times in a row, my little brother would hate the game with a passion. It has to do with attention span and the fact that I believe the more casual (but not super casual) demographic of gamers gets more easily frustrated at little things that hardcore gamers have become accustomed to and who appreciate a challenge.

I personally don't mind the checkpoint system in this particular game. I feel having to restart a chapter after losing lives or so would disrupt the flow of what really makes the game enjoyable to me: constantly unique puzzles and hilarious, ingenious dialogue. Having to repeat either the dialogue or the puzzles constantly due to any inefficiencies on my part would drag the game down if you ask me, and it would also hinder experimentation while looking for solutions to a puzzle.

I agree though. Rewards for a flawless run on certain rooms would be nice. I do know there's a trophy/achievement in the co-op mode for completing 5 chambers in a row without either ATLAS or P-Body "dying". But that's the only reward I can think of. I know there's two achievements/trophies that actually reward you FOR dying. xD
Props for Pokemon comment. It made me lol. :D

But yeah, the checkpoint this works for this sort of game. I would appreciate if there were less checkpoints in the game though, since it's like you do the slightest thing, and you get a checkpoint for it, which seems a little weird. Maybe you could have some sort of energy or something, and when you run out, you have to start a chamber again from the beginning or something. That's just my opinion, but it works I guess.

My favourite achievement/trophy would have to be the one where you have to send a turret flying away on an Aerial Faith Plate. I also liked the one where you have to do the same chamber twice, because wheatley tells you to. Also the one where that just happens.

Freedom Fighter N
May 22nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
Yesterday I saw a deer.
Today I see this club and I join.

institutions
May 22nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
My favourite achievement/trophy would have to be the one where you have to send a turret flying away on an Aerial Faith Plate. I also liked the one where you have to do the same chamber twice, because wheatley tells you to. Also the one where that just happens.

That one is cool, but I think I did mine the wrong way. Are they supposed to make hilarious comments as they are flying through the air?
Mine didn't. I did mine in that advanced aerial faith plate chamber where you hit the button and it dumps all the trash (the one with the ratman den achievement) and I used the already dead turret that came from that.
Well, I think it was dead.

I don't think this thread will die :D
If it does, it will only be temporarily. I'm sure more posts will come in when the DLC is released.

Cherrim
May 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
I went through and got all the single player achievements yesterday. Now I just have co-op ones and I'm done!

My favourite achievement to get so far was... well, I think any of the "come kill yourself this way!" achievements were fun. XD; The initial one with GlaDOS while you're running away with Wheatley was fun and the one at the end:
in The Part Where He Kills You (I love that, haha) when you run away, he asks you to come back and throw yourself in the pit. :P You get an achievement for doing it.

Xyrin
May 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Props for Pokemon comment. It made me lol. :D

But yeah, the checkpoint this works for this sort of game. I would appreciate if there were less checkpoints in the game though, since it's like you do the slightest thing, and you get a checkpoint for it, which seems a little weird. Maybe you could have some sort of energy or something, and when you run out, you have to start a chamber again from the beginning or something. That's just my opinion, but it works I guess.

fyi when you get to a key place in solving the puzzle like getting a cube it makes a checkpoint. I kinda like it the way it is.

Cherrim
May 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
I don't mind how it works. I didn't die thaaat often so I never ran into issues with the checkpoint frequencies.

But I also don't play Portal for much of a challenge. I prefer setting everything up and then doing my thing without issues rather than trying to do things on the fly and risking falling to my doom. :P

Alternative
May 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
I bought Portal because I had heard so much about it from friends and game review shows and stuff. I didn't really see what it was all about, so I sought to watching some gameplay videos. It was then when I found out how awesome it was, so pretty much the next day I went out and bought it. :D

RASENCERO
May 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
How do you feel about the use of the different kind of gels?
Should they have been introduced earlier in the game?

Alternative
May 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
How do you feel about the different kinda of gels?
I have to agree with you RASENCERO, the gels could have been introduced earlier I guess. If anything, I'd have them added in oly a little earlier I guess.
Where you have to put Wheatley in control of where GLaDOS was.

.Aero
May 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Well I can imagine they could've done a bit more with the gels, but I understand a couple reasons as to why they didn't show up until when they did. I guess I'll just put these in spoilers. xD

1) They are pretty much deadly, in fact, Chell is probably dying of some internal, organ-demolishing illness due to the repulsion/propulsion gels, and most definitely severe poisoning from the conversion gel that is made from ground up moon rocks ("pure poison"). I guess the facility increased the standards as the test subjects, presumably, aren't homeless people anymore, and are actually worth keeping alive in most cases. So they discontinued the use of the gels, which is why they show up in the Cave Johnson era portion of Aperture.

2) They most certainly would have run out of gameplay mechanics to introduce each chapter. I personally enjoyed the fact that they turned up later because the gameplay never got stale since they were constantly introducing something new. If they had thrown all the gels in at the beginning, I would have wondered what they could have put in place of them during the Cave Johnson section.

yarrr

Alternative
May 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
You make a good point Aero. The gels now that I think about it that way, do make sense to be in the Cave Johnson area of the game. I'd also think that the gels also probably give off some toxic fumes or something, or are recycled through the machines so no fumes are given off.

Talking about fumes, there should be a mode where GLaDOS is an even bigger ******* than usual and fill some of the chambers with poison gas. Then you'd have to finish it in a certain amount of time. :)

Cherrim
May 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I thought the gels were fun. I like the music that plays when you slide on the orange gel. The white gel drove me nuts though. Whenever it appeared I always felt obliged to cover every single surface in it.

v/eHRS9vgBAcQ

I don't think they should've been any earlier. It's actually plot related and not just "they would've had nothing for the Cave Johnson area". :D
After Wheatley takes over and flings you and GlaDOS down that elevator (?) shaft where you fall forever and then hit the ground, you have to climb all the way back up to meet him. You'll notice that from the moment you first see the giant pipes that carry the gels, they're moving up and whenever you hit a switch/lever, it's to open up the valves to let the gel carry up with you. Earlier in the game, the gel was all stuck at the bottom so even if there had been pipes, plot-wise, you hadn't opened up the valves miles below you so they would've been empty. :P

Alternative
May 25th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Now that you say it that way, it makes perfect sense as to when they introduced. Maybe as Aero said before, the gels were a health hazard for the newer test chambers, so they were only in the Cave Johnson stage or something. Probably the best explanation to give for that. Which brings up something else I've had to mind. If the gels are only there, then how can Wheatley use them against you later on?

One more thing which I just discovered. There's a Portal 2 soundtrack - music to test by or something, and it's free! The website is here → [ http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php ] and you can get it, and then have the perfect music for testing and whatever else it is you feel like doing with it. :)

institutions
May 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Now that you say it that way, it makes perfect sense as to when they introduced. Maybe as Aero said before, the gels were a health hazard for the newer test chambers, so they were only in the Cave Johnson stage or something. Probably the best explanation to give for that. Which brings up something else I've had to mind. If the gels are only there, then how can Wheatley use them against you later on?

One more thing which I just discovered. There's a Portal 2 soundtrack - music to test by or something, and it's free! The website is here → [ http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php ] and you can get it, and then have the perfect music for testing and whatever else it is you feel like doing with it. :)

Trying to keep this thread alive until the DLC :D

I came here to post about that soundtrack D:
Listening to it right now. It's all the extended versions of the background music from the game, and it's freaking awesome.

To answer the first post on this page, the gels were pretty awesome. I also like how things were introduced at different points throughout the campaign instead of all at once in the beginning. It kept everything interesting.

.Aero
May 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Wheatley could use them because you turned them on down "there".

By the way, I absolutely adore the Cave Johnson area. ♥ It's definitely my favorite part of the game.

RASENCERO
May 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah its most definitely one of the more interesting/challenging parts. Its the only place I got stuck. Twice.

To get back on my topic; I also don't think the gels should have been introduced earlier, they fit nicely in the Cave Johnson area.

That soundtrack... I already had some of those and others. Not sure where I found them, I used google and found them during a search for the turret opera ending. I guess those will be released with volume 2 or 3. Whenever that may be.

What is your favorite area/chapter?

NurseBarbra
May 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Emm... Most likely chapter 7-9. POTaDOS is win to be honest~

institutions
May 26th, 2011, 02:01 PM

I don't know exactly which chapters it is, but from when you start testing for GLaDOS until the part where

you break out of the next to last chamber with Wheatley.

I love GLaDOS' wit, and she is definitely my favorite test proctor.

My favorite test chamber overall is Chamber 6 (advanced aerial faith plates).

Alternative
May 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM
You know, I don't know why, but I originally started Portal 2 with the co-op campaign, which is fun. When I purchased the game I had a friend coming over, so I resisted playing the game for two hours before choosing to play it, just so I could play it with my friend. :)

RASENCERO
June 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
What do you think of the co-op?
Did you like it? What could have been better? What worked nicely? How did you feel about the levels?

I myself haven't played it, but I have seen it. I quite liked it. But it works best when both players can talk to each other. And have some skill.

Cherrim
June 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Honestly, it's right at the very beginning. Wandering through test chambers I could recognize from the first game and seeing them all overgrown with plants and whatnot was so exciting. I love timeskip "apocalyptic" things in games and media... you know, seeing something and then seeing it again years and years later when it's broken and rundown and barely recognizable. :D It was creepy and awesome all at once.

It's really fun to play with friends. I've only played it with someone in the same room, though. (My brother and I played it splitscreen and then a friend came over and played it on my computer while I linked up with the PS3.) I adore it but I also thought the plot was pretty blah. :( I'd have preferred it to be either separate from the game with no plot or as heavily involved as the main single player game but it just seemed like "here, have some pointless testing" and then suddenly "oh, here's a tiny bit of plot near the end". idk, it just kinda bugged me.

.Aero
June 5th, 2011, 08:06 PM

I thought it was really fun, and mostly difficult because my little brother was helpless when trying to assist me in completing levels. I eventually got some of my buddies who had actually played Portal before to help me finish the co-op though. It was great. :] Very creative and exciting.

And Lightning, ATLAS and P-body were created for testing. So it wasn't really pointless I guess. xD I'm not too sure what they could add to the plot aside from the part at the very end. The only thing I can see coming from that anyway is a third game. ;D I'm excited for that.

institutions
June 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM

I haven't played it yet, but I watched the Yogscast play through it and it looked fun in most places, but frustrating in others.

Anybody play any custom maps?
People have uploaded some on thinkingwithportals.com.
I just tried a few tonight and from the ones I tried, all were pretty fun. Challenging, too. A few took me a good 40 minutes each.

The ones I tried were:
"CG-Oversized Test Chamber Storage Area Version2"
"Stairway to Turret Heaven 1.1"
"The Curious Conundrum"
"[SP] sp_destroyed"

If anyone else has the PC version, I recommend checking them out.

Alternative
June 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I actually started off with the co-op, as I had a friend coming over the day I bought Portal 2, and thought we could play it together and whatnot. It's really fun to play these things together, now that we all know that two brains are better than one. But you do have to agree with Erica, the multiplayer does seem bland, to the extent that it does seem like pointless testing. If there was some added element to it, like some sort of surprise half-way through it would be much better. :)

Cherrim
June 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I haven't checked out any custom maps. I'll check out those ones you recommended, though. :D I was mostly just waiting for recs instead of going out and finding them myself. XD;
And Lightning, ATLAS and P-body were created for testing. So it wasn't really pointless I guess. xD I'm not too sure what they could add to the plot aside from the part at the very end. The only thing I can see coming from that anyway is a third game. ;D I'm excited for that.
I know they were created for the testing, but I guess...
I wish there was more to the plot than GLaDOS deciding partway through that she'd rather test on humans and then having the robots free them for her. :s Or that they'd concentrated more on what little plot there was. I loved all the test rooms, don't get me wrong, but it felt like the early test rooms in the original Portal, before you start seeing the darker side of Apeture Science. Fun, but pointless.

Alternative
June 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
That's a good point Erica. Some of the plot in the multiplayer were just boring and lifeless. But yet again, I don't exactly think it's meant to be plot based, but just on testing these aperture science chambers and GLaDOS' jokes. :]

One thing I really do like about the games though is it's unpredictibility which comes with it. I remember playing Portal 2, and getting towards the battle against GLaDOS when Wheatley was good, and thought "well that was a short game" and then BAM! You fall down a hole and GLaDOS is a potato battery. XD;

Cherrim
June 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Well, I just figure if it was supposed to be mindless testing, why bother adding plot at all? D: They would have gotten by just fine with a teasing GLaDOS and numerous rooms. Then they could've taken advantage of DLC and whatnot to add more without worrying about breaking the plot. u_u; It just didn't fit as well. I'm fine with one or the other but mixing them weakly just disappointed me a bit.

NurseBarbra
June 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I say continue the ARG for the DLC's and stuff.
also. LOOK WHAT I JUST ORDERED! http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e970/

Åzurε
June 16th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I say continue the ARG for the DLC's and stuff.
also. LOOK WHAT I JUST ORDERED! http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e970/

:O I must have it. I must have it all, and have it now.

I love thinkgeek.

EDIT: ...wait. That's a smiley now? Grr...

Alternative
June 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM
That's very cool! I wish I had some gels to play with. What I really want is like, a big companion cube to play with and stuff. :) But anyway, I think we should have a new topic. :]

How do you think a third game in the Portal Series could play out in terms of plot?

Åzurε
June 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I almost think it wouldn't work. It would be hard to give Chell another chance to see a lot use out of her ASHPD, especially entering into Half-Life's world proper. I almost wonder if she won't just end up as a character in the actual Half-Life series. One of the things I like about Portal is that holds up the suspension of disbelief very well, and dumping her into another labyrinthine series of portal-friendly test chambers at this point would feel very forced to me.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but there's that.

NurseBarbra
June 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
That's very cool! I wish I had some gels to play with. What I really want is like, a big companion cube to play with and stuff. :) But anyway, I think we should have a new topic. :]
Apparently the blue gel bounces, the orange gel is slippy and the white gel can conduct portals and is made out of moon rocks.

How do you think a third game in the Portal Series could play out in terms of plot?

To be honest? I'd like to see Aperture in it's 1940's days. Or mabye from Rattman's perspective before he went insane..

Bonechill
June 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I request joinage of this FC for one of the best puzzle games!

I just love portal games because it takes a new view to puzzle games.....Using portals

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
June 17th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Took me long enough, but ditto^

There is just something wonderfully magical, sad, and funny about this game which makes me want to play it over and over again. Haven't finished co-op just yet, but I will soon enough.

Pichu_fan
June 17th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I want to SU because IM A POTATO.
Why do you love the Portal series? Because of the challenging puzzles and humor.
What is your favourite Portal obstacle? The turrets.HELLO.FRIEND.
How do you feel about the different gels? The gels?Make me go weeeeeee as i crush Lemons.I like em.

kagan2
June 19th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Joining!
Cause I push b-you-ton!!

Whats your fav Portal obstacle? Companion Cubes!!
Why I like the series? GLaDOS! Thats why!
Gels?....GIMME GELS!!!

Alternative
June 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hmm... there needs to be more discussion here, and welcome all the new members to the club. :D

So, how about some discussion about the Portal 2 DLC. What do you think it will contain? Will it just be more puzzles? Will Chell have a role in the DLC? Do you think another obstacle will be introduced for it?

kagan2
June 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I dont think that Chell will have a role....

Alternative
June 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hmm... do you have any reasoning as to why she won't have a role?

Anyways.
Chell might possibly have a role, but considering she left Aperture thanks to GLaDOS making her leave, it seems unlikely. I can imagine you'll either play through the single player DLC as either Atlas or P-Body, or even a manufactured Chell, which GLaDOS has been able to do so because of all the time they've spent together.

NurseBarbra
June 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hmm... there needs to be more discussion here, and welcome all the new members to the club. :D

So, how about some discussion about the Portal 2 DLC. What do you think it will contain? Will it just be more puzzles? Will Chell have a role in the DLC? Do you think another obstacle will be introduced for it?

Can we play as rattman, Or how about in test shaft 08 or 07 during the 1980's? that'd be fun~

Alternative
June 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Maybe a test with combustible lemons, that be kinda funny. You would need them to burn someone's house down, which will create some flow for portal gel (or whatever it's called) and create a portal there.

NurseBarbra
June 19th, 2011, 11:49 PM
v/X7zZBYUEEw0
v/JeBqvIzcU7c
v/-EZ7c9mFKiE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8r0xbou9Ho

The first three... XD
The comments on the forth made me lol.

RASENCERO
June 20th, 2011, 06:00 AM
LOL
...*takes a breather*...
LOL XD

Comments are often funny to read, that why "they" Aperature invented forums ans such.

So that's what Weatley did to pay off his shuttle-cab bill.

I am not sure what to expect from the DLC. It could have Chell in it, with simply more levels.
I do know I missed some of the levels which they showed when they first announced Portal 2.
Does anyone have a date for the DLC?

institutions
June 22nd, 2011, 06:37 AM
I am not sure what to expect from the DLC. It could have Chell in it, with simply more levels.
I do know I missed some of the levels which they showed when they first announced Portal 2.
Does anyone have a date for the DLC?

I wish :( Feels like i've been waiting forever for it and the 2nd part of the OST.
As for what content will be in the DLC, I really doubt it but I guess we might finally see some of those chambers with the pneumatic diversity vents that were in the trailers.
I've played a few custom maps involving them and they were fun.

Speaking of custom maps, has anyone tried out the authoring tools?
It's basically just the newest version of the Hammer editor from HL2, CS:S and such.

I'm working on learning all of the aspects atm, but my small test map is coming along nicely.

Blue Nocturne
June 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Maybe the DLC will be played as one (or more) of the test subjects that GLaDOS managed to uncover at the end of the Co-Op storyline.

Incidentally, joining!

RASENCERO
July 13th, 2011, 06:16 AM
No Chell? I am not sure if I am happy with that. Though it does open up new possibilities.

BlooMilk C.
August 1st, 2011, 06:25 AM
I would love to join :)
I like Portal because it combines FPS with puzzle games, and with that, opens up a lot of new method of solving puzzles with "Portal science", making it one of my favorite games.

I haven't even gotten Portal 2 yet, but I want it really badly ;__;. I have Portal: Still Alive for the Xbox 360, which includes Portal and some new testchambers to solve, so that's kind of like the Portal 2 DLC, I guess. I don't think it's not good that they're not keeping Chell. In Portal: Still Alive, they kept her character in the Still Alive test chambers, but GLaDOS was broken. :3.

Cherrim
August 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Honestly, I don't see any detriment to replacing the main/player character. It's not like Chell had any personality--hell, even the co-op robots had more personality than she did. And the co-op played just as well as the single player campaign. I think it's really just GLAdOS that can't be taken out of the mix.

BlooMilk C.
August 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I'm playing Portal 2 currently since I got it a few days ago, and it has caused me to agree with Erica. Chell is just so lifeless, and really, the only character that's worth it is GLaDOS and Wheatley, though I feel like he'll be dead by the time I finish the game lool.

I have no one to play co-op with currently, but if you have Portal 2 for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, I'd love to play with you. My gamertag is in my contact information.