PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Underrated?

miju-kun
May 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Do you think 3rd Gen is underrated?

I do. Most people play R/B/Y/G/S/C for nostalgia and others play D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W just because they're new. I think 3rd Gen needs more love.

What do you think?

gameplayer56
May 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Same here, though I see hate for the 3rd Gen from some people. I thought the 3rd Gen was great before the 4th Gen came out.

Sydian
May 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I agree, really. Gen III is right in the middle at this point, now that there are five generations. However, something I've noticed is that during gen IV is when gen III got the most hate. And now almost everyone is saying "oh man I want an RS remake so bad!" and "man gen IV sucks so much I can't even play it anymore." Sound familiar? Last generation, we loved DPPt, wanted GS remakes, and hated RSE. Now we love BW, want RS remakes, and hate DPPt. It's a pattern really.

LatiasSoulDew
May 14th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I agree with Sydian. It's like the Pokemon games have their own pattern about how the game grow in people heart, together with the flow of time.
So, the Remakes is the last determinant of 3rd Gen will be loved or not, so let's hope we have a great RSE remakes.

gameplayer56
May 14th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I agree with Sydian. It's like the Pokemon games have their own pattern about how the game grow in people heart.
So, the Remakes is the last determinant of Generations will be loved or not, so let's hope we have a great RSE remakes.
^This, I'll rage out Pokemon if they make horrible ones.[/sarcasm]. Anyways, agree to above posters, they do seem to have a pattern for some players, while others don't (Like me, I still like 3rd, 4th & 5th Gen games).

Metal Electric
May 15th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I really like the 3 th gen. Sapphire was my first own game and I think R/S/E and FR/LG are the best games ever made, not that the other Pokémon games are bad, because I really like them all and it's really hard to choose, but the 3 th gen it really one of the best gens.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
May 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM
To be honest I believe the 3rd Generation is hands down one of the best gens... it always shocks me that people hate it lol :)

Twilight-kun
May 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
don't remake Ruby and Sapphire

remake Emerald instead
I want to battle a ridiculously overpowered Steven Stone...

XDragonRiderX
May 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I was a fan from the beggining. I first got it 3 years ago because my friend because I gave him something (can't remember). I played it to death. The sticker is scraping off due to me carrying it everywhere. It's either plunked into my DS or GBA. But I think it's feeling left out because my Ruby is taking all the glory....

AllentheGuitarist
May 23rd, 2011, 11:16 PM
I may be a minority: I love the 1st and 2nd gens like no other, and 3rd gen is quite good. However, and here's what makes me different, I really don't like 4th gen and absolutely loathe 5th gen.

Am I the only one?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
May 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
FR/LG are underrated for sure... R/S/E, I'm not so sure about. I still hear plenty of love for those games so people still think pretty highly of them. R/S/E, for me at least, really hasn't survived the test of time; of the older games, they're the ones I'm least likely to play through again.

Galukxy
May 24th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I think it's underrated because I rarely hear it being mentioned and I easily forget the 3rd generation.
I personally loved the game, but I still prefer the ones such as Fire red, Leaf green, Platinum and Pokemon White.

Eпvy
May 24th, 2011, 09:47 AM
FR/LG are underrated for sure... R/S/E, I'm not so sure about. I still hear plenty of love for those games so people still think pretty highly of them. R/S/E, for me at least, really hasn't survived the test of time; of the older games, they're the ones I'm least likely to play through again.

I agree with this. Although I played through Ruby again a few years ago or so.

It used to be that I was hearing "G/S/C are the best!" all of the time, but now I've really seen a big rise in the "R/S/E are the best!" crowd. They've all come out to support the possibility of remakes. Also I suppose, the ones that played them at the same age I played R/B/Y are starting to post on forums.

I don't think they're really all of that underrated. However, I never thought they were underrated. lol If anything, I'm beginning to think that it is D/P/Pt that are underrated.

Adventure
May 24th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I don't think they're underrated. In my opinion, 3rd gen had the least interesting set of new pokémon and the games took away some nice things from G/S/C. Like day/night, days of the week and people calling to give you things. Plus, Hoenn was where the legendaries started to get ugly and scary rather than beautiful and mysterious.

So I think they did a sidestep with the third generation's mechanics and pokémon. Looking back, it seems like a stall before the flashy 4th gen.

BUT. I loved the music from the Hoenn games. Often better than I liked the 4th gen music. And the land itself, the Hoenn region, it was pretty nicely designed. With a desert, rain, underwater tunnels... quite a step up from 2nd gen.

All in all, I still won't be joining the crowd who screams for Hoenn remakes now. But I do think they will come.

guga7wow
May 28th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I think people don't like this game much, because of how difficult it is to beat the E4.

That's my opinion, and how I feel about 3rd gen

jespoke
May 29th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I like 3. gen. Not as much as 2. and 5. gen (I seem to be in minority to like a lot of the 5. gen pokemon :I), but the landscape was beautiful for its time, and it introduced a ton of mechanics.
I didn't like the pokemon much though :l (with is definitely not me thinking the originals where best, Im a big fan of 4./5. gen pokemon too)

Atomic Pirate
May 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
3rd generation is definitely underrated. 3rd generation brought us things like abilities, icons for each Pokemon, and an accessable PC system. Plus, Hoenn brought us some of the best pokemon around, such as Salamence and Metagross.

NTA
May 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I don't think its fair for people to bad mouth gen 3.... When I started playing the gen 4 games, I remember people a lot of different people using the same kind of Pokemon, mainly just to win battles instead of just using their favorite Pokemon most of the time. I'm always gonna be a fan of gen 3 but I still hate those Ninjask-substituters

SuckBoot
May 31st, 2011, 04:03 PM
I only play Gen 3 games. Everything else is just kinda there, doesn't really interest me.

Sodom
May 31st, 2011, 04:12 PM
I love Gen 3. The Hoenn games were fantastic and inventive, and the Kanto games made me feel like I was 9 again (when I was 13 lol) - but I can't make myself play anything pre-gen 4 anymore, after you see the new graphics there's just no going back.

psyanic
May 31st, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm surprised it's underrated. It was a transitional series really, testing out natures and variable ev's/iv's, making competitive battling more... competitive. The games were a bit more lengthy, the maps looked bigger in water and also the Pokemon looked more interesting. The Hoenn games are probably my favorite. The only downfall I could see was that the Pokemon began to drop in design and incentive. Look from each generation to the next, and I say they look gradually a little more "realistic" as in a character view. Such as them looking more evil and tougher I guess. This is probably why I hate Gen 5. But anyway, the Legendaries took a more bigger and badder look, being used to seeing cute Mew and Celebi, along with majestic birds, it was kind of a step forward.

Well, I probably contradicted myself in a few points, but that's just my general view.

solarowl
June 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM
RSE were great games.
People are usually in two groups about 3rd Gen. It's either people who loved the game (like me), or people who absolutely hated it.
I'm not really sure why it is underrated. They were awesome games, yet no one really plays them anymore. :/

Diamond1304
June 12th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I don't see why 3rd gen is underrated. The addition of two rivaling villain teams was was creative and no other generation has that to come yet. It also made me start loving animated sprites and battle themes. :)

Also, I don't quite understand how Legendaries aren't majestic and cool-looking? Kyogre and Rayquaza totally look godly IMHO. And if you want cuties like Mew, you have Jirachi here. :>

I have to agree with Sydian too. I like Gen 4, and don't see a fuss over it. Maybe it's just the irony of us hardcore Pokefans? o_O

Amore
June 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
No, they're not underrated. As this thread shows, plenty of people still like them. Just these people tend not to emphasise this fact in other forums, and most of the new people are more into Gen IV/V, hence why they're new.

Obviously, with Gen IV being newer and Gen V being, well, the newest, they get more attention - I'm pretty sure most if not all of the people posting in this thread play those generations.

I do like how people pointed out the pattern, and that surely it's Gen III's time to enter the spotlight again, albeit hopefully as part of Gen V (but on DS, not 3DS, or I'm sure quite a few people will be disappointed).

Pokemon Game Fan
June 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
No they are not. Fire Red and Leaf Green are talked about so much, and almost every person I personally know that plays Pokemon games has one of the two. Maybe RSE is, although even those games are talked about a lot so I wouldn't exactly say so.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
June 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I dont think its underrated now because many people want to see a remake of Ruby and Sapphire. But as for FireRed and LeafGreen, not that many people that I know of talked about the games even when it came

:t354:TG

p3ndu1um
June 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
All I acn say is 3rd Gen had the best pokemon, the best story line and most frankly the best HM, Dive. In my opinion that is.

Amore
June 20th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I believe you mean some of the best pokémon :P
You can't dislike Munchlax...or Bonsly really. Mime Jr. I'll forgive you, but Gen IV did have some good ones.

And quite a lot of the Kanto pokémon, which were featured in Gen III, are pretty cool like Bulbasaur.

But Dive is brilliant. As is Hoenn.

TheGr8
June 25th, 2011, 02:35 PM
After my black run through, VGC I went to, Working on my shiny Snivy, I am going to be finishing my Emerald run through, which I can't wait. I have played since Red and Blue, and I like all of the gens to be honest.

Brendan859
June 26th, 2011, 09:02 AM
In my opinion,I don't think it's underrated.Recently more and more people want an R/S/E remake.R/S/E have the best Plot,the best Music and the Best Legendaries.I think FR/LG is underrated now,not R/S/E.

Butterfree-Charizard
June 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
The game mechanics are awkward to say the least. Personally I have never really like the Hoenn region as much as the others.

Kenshin5
June 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Their not underrated their acknowledged. RSE and LG/FR had it's glory day it was the big thing, would anyone at that time think it is underated with all the things it brought to the table? Like Two Criminal Syndicates, Use of Wireless when trading eliminating the need for link cables, EVs, Weather, Contests, and so on. There is no Generation that is underrated they all have their quirks to them. People will always have their own bias to what they think is the best and what is not. Personally they are all highly rated in my eyes or else they wouldn't be some of the top selling games for the time they were "it".

Golden Warrior
June 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I believe that Pokemon is getting more different looks. It basically depends on the person. When Black and White came out, I thought those Pokemon were WIERD compared to the gen. 3 Pokemon. Although, the third generation was my favorite. So to answer you question. For me: No. For others: All dependson the person.

Kirbychu
June 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Do you think 3rd Gen is underrated?

I do. Most people play R/B/Y/G/S/C for nostalgia and others play D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W just because they're new. I think 3rd Gen needs more love.

What do you think?
Oh my gosh, this is so true. If I had a coin for every time I've been told to take off my nostalgia goggles I could get myself a Porygon! They say "you only like the old Pokemon because of nostalgia". Maybe they only like the new Pokemon because they're new? /rant

Gen 3 seems to be getting a lot o love now, it' like the nostalgia shifted from Gen 2 to Gen 3. It makes sense though, Gen 3 had the best region, Pokemon, music, etc. Emerald's my favorite Pokemon game, if you couldn't already guess.

I believe that Pokemon is getting more different looks. It basically depends on the person. When Black and White came out, I thought those Pokemon were WIERD compared to the gen. 3 Pokemon. Although, the third generation was my favorite. So to answer you question. For me: No. For others: All dependson the person.
Pokemon are changing. People are denying it, but this is a fact. Generally the designs are getting less realistic and animal-like and have begun to get more complicated with a more cartoonish style.

thecalling66
July 30th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Definitely underrated! I can't really get into any games beyond Emerald tbh... I'm just not feeling it, and they keep adding all of this unnecessary stuff imo idk...

Pokemon are changing. People are denying it, but this is a fact. Generally the designs are getting less realistic and animal-like and have begun to get more complicated with a more cartoonish style.

Yes, I agree; now all of the Pokémon are like these extravagant sprites that don't even look as cool as the first 3 gens imo
I really don't like the new stuff at all for that as well

Major Tom
July 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I loved Gen III and Ii think it was the second best gen only behind Gen V.

But I do see why quite a bit of people hate it, it was before the newer games (Gens IV/V) and the older games (Gens I/II) so it was stuck in the middle as the odd one.

But they where still extremely good games and also they where the first to have many things that made the new games so good and still had the things that made the old ones good too. But one of the big reasons why people hate it and it did not sell quite as well as the other Pokemon games was the fact that they where released when Pokemon's popularity was at a low and also that people could not trade Pokemon from Gen II games to it.

So over all I think they are very underrated.

Hoenn
July 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM
When I saw this thread I had to have my say.

Of course Gen III was underated (R/S/E anyway) they're such great games that hardly anyone appreciates for what they actually are and hopefully if a remake comes along in a couple of years people will change their opinion.

Nerdy Mojo
July 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
i REALLY think its underrated. atm i dont have a ds so ive been playing gba games for a while, and the main game i play is sapphire(harvest moon friends of mineral town is second). so far ive played a new file with omega(combusken) instead of swampert. started about 45 hours ago and have clocked 22 hours sooooo........i love this game. honestly though nothing beats your first pokemon game so ill stick with red version as my favorite of all time

B3R
July 31st, 2011, 03:10 AM
I started on Ruby so that must be my favourite.
It isn't liked much by the mainstream but rom hackers seem to love it.

okjoek
July 31st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well There are a lot of viewers on the gen 3 forum selection so I don't think so. What could be causing the feeling might be that it was such a great region of the past that still hasn't been remade while the others have.

thecalling66
July 31st, 2011, 03:20 PM
the main game i play is sapphire(harvest moon friends of mineral town is second).

Nice! choices man I remember Mineral town way back when :D
And Sapphire was my first Pokémon game aha

UltimaSilva
August 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I play FR/LG more than any other pokemon game. It's my favorite generation and I don't see why people don't give it more acknowledgment. They do need to make remakes of R/S/E cause B/W just didn't make the cut for me. In my opinion B/W was horrible.

Windie
August 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't mind a remake of RSE. It needs more attention. It had some of the most unique places in any Pokemon game.

Game Over1375
August 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM
The only reason why I didn't like the Advance games were because they were so SLOW! Plus, at first, it didn't include the upgrades G/S/C had. Day/ Night system and moving sprites. Emerald fixed the moving sprites, but it didn't include the Day/ Night system.

Anyways, as for remakes, yeah, I would like some remakes that fixed the problems R/S/E had. The region, Pokemon, and people though? Don't touch them. I loved Hoenn.

imevil
August 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
i loved gen 3, dunno why people hate it though. It revolutionized pokemon in my opinion

funrush
August 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I was actually one of those people who actively hated Gen 4 in favor of Gen 3. I did stop hating it a year ago though because I was so impressed by HGSS. I could pop in my LeafGreen and play it for an hour before turning it off. Now I'm really mad because I can't find it. :(

Jarred0809
August 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I loved gen 3. Hoenn was designed very well, the Pokemon were still original and at a reasonable number; you could actually complete the national Pokedex back then.

I can't wait for the Gen 3 remakes. All the signs are showing, such as:

-It's 2 generations later. FR/LG was 2 gens after R/B/G/Y and HG/SS was 2 gens after G/S/C

-It is the next original (non-remake) game in line for a remake, first and second generation games already have remakes

Xperious
August 26th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I actually liked the third gen. It was where all the berry types got started... Pokemon natures too.

PokémonFantasyGirl
August 27th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I loved Gen III and Ii think it was the second best gen only behind Gen V.

But I do see why quite a bit of people hate it, it was before the newer games (Gens IV/V) and the older games (Gens I/II) so it was stuck in the middle as the odd one.

But they where still extremely good games and also they where the first to have many things that made the new games so good and still had the things that made the old ones good too. But one of the big reasons why people hate it and it did not sell quite as well as the other Pokemon games was the fact that they where released when Pokemon's popularity was at a low and also that people could not trade Pokemon from Gen II games to it.

So over all I think they are very underrated.

I agree with this. Generation 3 changed the way we played Pokemon. It definitely had some of the best music and it introduced double battles! :D

Yes, I think it was underrated but now with the speculation of Ruby/Sapphire remakes, it's gotten quite popular again.

GFA
August 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I was a fan from the beggining. I first got it 3 years ago because my friend because I gave him something (can't remember). I played it to death. The sticker is scraping off due to me carrying it everywhere. It's either plunked into my DS or GBA. But I think it's feeling left out because my Ruby is taking all the glory....
lolwut? You were 2 when the games came out. Maybe 3.

*Latias
August 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Yes, it is highly underrated. ;_;
Many people I know think it is the worst generation ever, but since it is my favourite I can't do anything but hope for the remakes.
AND I hope if there will ever be a remake of the third, it will be good. It has to be good! ;__;

CoolTrainer
August 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
The third generation isn't underrated, it's easily the worst generation. Don't get me wrong, I love every generation, the Pokemon games on GBA were the best games on the system. That being said they simply doesn't match up to the other generations.

cazzler
August 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I think it is underrated also, people never speak of those games anymore, I liked Hoenn and I am anticipating a remake, I don't see how this is the worst generation for some people, I can't even think of which generation of Pokemon is 'worst' there all good In my opinion, I don't see a 'worst' one.

Mr. X
August 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM
3rd gen is the middle child who is ignored. I dislike first gen games only due to the graphics. 2nd gen will, like almost everyone else, remain a favorite. I'm indiffrent about 4th gen.

Anyway, I personally hate the 5th gen mainly because almost all of the pokemon look like crap. IMO, the only ones that look decent are the Snivy line and Stoutland.

But speaking of remakes, think about this... When will we start seeing remakes of remakes?

cazzler
August 27th, 2011, 08:16 PM
But speaking of remakes, think about this... When will we start seeing remakes of remakes?

Well, I don't think they'll ever make remakes of remakes, IMO remakes are made to make that region specific Pokemon available. I think in the future gens there would be more than one region in a game, or some sort of area where Pokemon are imported from other areas or something along those lines anyway...

the :D
August 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
They are, they really are. They were excellent games. That said, I loved every generation except the first (I played it after Sapphire and Silver so it was a huge downgrade for me), but Sapphire -- great design, great music (not as good as Gen II), pretty cool plot line (I liked how they finally dropped Team Rocket), and other such things.

Charicific
August 28th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Gen III? Under-rated? Noway...The most under-rated game I've seen was Gen IV, D/P/Pt to be precise. Gen III was amazing if you ask me, like any other pokemon games, it introduced major features. The game as overall was nice.

Through all what I read, gen IV was the most under-rated, idk why though, its just as good as any other pkmn game. Anyway its probably the whole nostalgia thingy. I personally don't care what people think about any other game because different things appeal to different people in different ways...So there is no telling weather this is good or bad. IMO, ALL POKEMON GAMES WERE AMAZING, ALL IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

DarkDoom3000
August 28th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Na, It was really underwelming imo.

-You couldn't trade over your GenI or II pokemon which was a big dissapointment.
-No day/night system. >:(
-Gen3 was the start of change in pokemon styles. a style change im still not to fond of.
-R/S lacked a bunch of older pokemon. FR/LG redemied that a bit, but it made me throughrly dislike R/S when i played it.
-R/S lacked any siginificant Postgame content. Especially since Gen2 had kanto in it. Emerald had the battle frontier atleast.
-It just didn't add much besides new graphics. Imo.

NaistoNub
September 3rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
3rd gen is alright, I prefer the originals though

[Ghost]
September 3rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
3rd gen was my favorite!! Im actually replaying Sapphire on my laptop! <3

.,:;'`Ghost`';:,.

Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
September 3rd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hoenn did a magnificent job making new Pokemon, made unique features such as the creation of Contests, and pulled a brilliant performance in the storyline department. A fantastic installment to the franchise, and probably the best region to follow up Johto.

Despite some of its flaws, whatever. Hoenn was great. I'd pay for a remake any day.

snowman4686
September 4th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I loved 3rd gen
i still play it more than i do black and white xD
I hope they do a remake of them ^^

Spiteful Thoughts
February 22nd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Generation III is everything but underrated. In fact, it's extremely overhyped. Have you been to Youtube lately? Videos regarding R/S/E are full of comments like "This is the best" and "next gens suck" and so on. Whereas those regarding D/P/Pt have comments like "this sucks", "Generation III is better", "The Pokemon look like Digimon*" etc.

*Like Hoenn Pokemon don't look like them? As if...

Archenoth
February 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that...

Generation III was released when Pokemon stopped being a fad at the beginning of the millennium, so it was largely ignored by many people when Pokemon was still considered an old fad, so no one really wanted to associate with it.

By the time Generation IV came around, some people had gotten over this outlook and decided to try the games again, and these people, while liking Generation IV, always saw the previous games through the goggles of nostalgia, and Generation III was not in it. They looked at Gold and Silver, and thought that those games were truly the peak of the series.

You have no idea how many Generation 2 fans that I heard before I actually played any of the Johto games (I started playing Pokemon around Generation IV), I was disappointed with the lack of things to do in HeartGold/SoulSilver compared to Platinum, but not to the point of not completing them. (I have about 250 hours on SoulSilver) I still think that Generation 2 was the most overrated when you consider how many people think it is still the pinnacle of the series.

I actually never tried a Generation III game until a little before Black/White came out, and that's when I played Pokemon Emerald. I have to say that I still think it was more fun than every other Pokemon game I played. It had more to do, the Battle Frontier was the best in the series, there was the oh-so awesome Dive TM that turned that surfing routes into something that was actually awesome. (Really long epic underwater routes without random encounters, secrets everywhere) The contests were better done in Emerald than in Gen IV since it was never anyone's game, the actual Harvest-moon style planting that was in Gen IV came from Gen III, there was the multiple versions of the bikes which would introduce interesting mechanics, as well as make things interesting when you had to get to certain locations. The locations were inventive, like the Sea crater town, or the semi-jungle town... There were many effects that were lost in the newer games, simple things like seeing clouds reflected off the water and when you would run across a bridge and see your shadow way below. The random mini-game locations were fun as well, I could keep going all day.

For what you got, I still think that Generation III was harshly underrated for what it was.

Sydian
February 23rd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Although you make good points, this thread hadn't been posted in since 2011. :( Please don't revive threads over a month old. Feel free to make a new one if you'd like though!

Locked.