PDA

View Full Version : Question: Concerning the Monetary Transaction Rule

OneofFour
May 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
So a friend and I were knocking around the idea of sponsoring a small tournament on this site, with a cash prize. Obviously, the payout would be handled through Paypal (restiricting the age group who could participate), and we would have to work out the details further, but this new rule would not allow that?

Is it within the spirit of the rule to not allow this kind of tournament, or was the spirit of the rule to stop people from just buying and selling pokemon on here? Or perhaps both, because of the problems I understand having a monetary transactions may cause?

Team Fail
May 26th, 2011, 03:19 PM
So a friend and I were knocking around the idea of sponsoring a small tournament on this site, with a cash prize. Obviously, the payout would be handled through Paypal (restiricting the age group who could participate), and we would have to work out the details further, but this new rule would not allow that?

Is it within the spirit of the rule to not allow this kind of tournament, or was the spirit of the rule to stop people from just buying and selling pokemon on here? Or perhaps both, because of the problems I understand having a monetary transactions may cause?

It more or less depends. If it is a PokeCommunity Supporter donation, you can send it as a Supporter Gift Card. Otherwise, I would talk to the moderator of the section that has the place for your competition. Plus, I don't think that you can give actual money to people, it's against the rules if I read them correctly. You can give gift cards (Like Wii, PSN, VBL etc, though, if you talk with a mod.)

Hiroshi Sotomura
May 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
The transactions rule is designed to cover commerce - selling cards, eBay items, Pokémon over Wi-Fi, and the like. It can, by extension, cover these sorts of things.

If you'd like to offer a cash prize, just note we can't be liable for any problems that may occur as per our terms of service. I personally don't recommend offering a cash prize of any sort. Nonetheless, I kindly request that you ask for permission from Rukario (as he writes the terms of service) before going ahead with anything that requires a transaction.