PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Anti
June 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
SIMPLE Q&A THREADThis thread is for more minor needs like simple questions or moveset requests that are not allowed in the main forum. Here are a few ground rules...

— Be sure to follow all Competitive Battling Center Rules (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=255515).

— Use the In-Game Team Help (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236) sub-forum for in-game and Battle Subway/Frontier/Tower teams.

— Don't ask for an entire team.
We will help to complete and perfect partially finished teams, but we aren't going to make whole teams.

— Questions like "How does this attack work?" and "What are IVs/EVs?" belong here.
Moveset requests also belong here.

Opposite Day
June 7th, 2011, 01:42 PM
you're on to something by spelling it like that.
F stands for Focus Sash, E stands for Endeavour, A stands for Attack, or in this case Quick Attack, and R stands for Rattata.

Several pokes can pull off this strategy, provided that they have Endeavour and a priority attack. Swinub is one of the more notable ones, considering how it is immune to both of the damaging weather effects, Donphan would be good I guess with the new and improved Sturdy, and finally Cleffa has Magic Guard and thus is guaranteed at least one kill a match if you get a damaging weather up.

FEAR might be called that just because it is a strategy to be "feared", or it might just be short for "F***in' extremely annoying rodent". Idk about that, to be honest.

EDIT: WELL DAMN

Gymnotide
June 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Since this is in CPG now, where do we put Gen IV and below comp-battle items?

wolf
June 7th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Since this is in CPG now, where do we put Gen IV and below comp-battle items?
it's been in cpg for about a year, actually. even though it is listed there, you can still post rmts, discussions, and so on (if that's what you meant by items) for older generations as well.

Gymnotide
June 7th, 2011, 04:56 PM
it's been in cpg for about a year, actually. even though it is listed there, you can still post rmts, discussions, and so on (if that's what you meant by items) for older generations as well.

Oh, then can we get those nifty thread tags back? Y'know, the ones that say "[Gen V]" and such? :)

jab2033
June 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Why did everything get changed all of a sudden? I had this request in the original Request a Moveset thread in S&M, then I find out S&M is gone within hours of posting...

Anyway...

Looking for an Infernape set for the last two slots. Gen IV OU by the way...

Infernape @Expert Belt
Naive/Blaze
66 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 192 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-
-

There are three options I'm leading towards:

A)Thunderpunch + HP Ice
B)Grass Knot + HP Ice
C)HP Grass + Earthquake

I'm leaning most towards option A, as that set hits 12/17 types super-effectively and gives me grounds to use the Expert Belt. It's a nice compromise between the Choice items and the Life Orb. I don't want to have to deal with the recoil (The Ape is frail as it is) and I like having the freedom to pick my moves without having to switch.

Thunderpunch can also OHKO Gyarados and can do more damage to Suicune and Vaporeon than Grass Knot...

Perrie ✿
June 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Why did everything get changed all of a sudden? I had this request in the original Request a Moveset thread in S&M, then I find out S&M is gone...

Anyway...

Infernape @Expert Belt
Naive/Blaze
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-
-

A)Thunderpunch + HP Ice
B)Grass Knot + HP Ice
C)HP Grass + Earthquake

I'm leaning most towards option A, as that set hits 12/17 types super-effectively and gives me grounds to use the Expert Belt. It's a nice compromise between the Choice items and the Life Orb. I don't want to have to deal with the recoil (The Ape is frail as it is) and I like having the freedom to pick my moves without having to switch.

Thunderpunch can also OHKO Gyarados and can do more damage to Suicune and Vaporeon than Grass Knot...

Because S&M and Battle Stadium were quite low on activity, combining the two is a hope to promote activity! :)

Anyway, I see you're wanting a Mix-Ape set, so here you go.

Copy pasta from Smogon! <:

name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: U-turn / Grass Knot
move 4: Stone Edge / Mach Punch
item: Life Orb
nature: Naïve / Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Enjoy!

Vrai
June 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Why did everything get changed all of a sudden? I had this request in the original Request a Moveset thread in S&M, then I find out S&M is gone within hours of posting...

Anyway...

Infernape @Expert Belt
Naive/Blaze
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-
-

A)Thunderpunch + HP Ice
B)Grass Knot + HP Ice
C)HP Grass + Earthquake

I'm not the greatest with Gen IV but I'd rather use Thunderpunch, yes. Gyarados is generally the main switch-in to Infernape afaik and being able to KO it off the bat is great... though I think Grass Knot actually does do more to Suicune than Thunderpunch. :x

dreyko
June 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
how do i breed a pokemon with with decent or perfect IV's?

jab2033
June 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
how do i breed a pokemon with with decent or perfect IV's?

Believe me when I say it's a process too long to explain in a single post. Your best bet is to read this breeding guide (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1) for information.

You can also use Smogon's other articles as resources as well.

dreyko
June 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Believe me when I say it's a process too long to explain in a single post. Your best bet is to read this breeding guide (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1) for information.

You can also use Smogon's other articles as resources as well.

ok thanks for the link =)

jigglyppuff8
June 7th, 2011, 07:03 PM
If you want to breed for high IVs, you'll need parents with high IVs, so it requires a bit of luck to obtain your parents. If both the parents have high IVs, there's a higher chance that the offspring will have them as well.

dreyko
June 8th, 2011, 08:01 AM
i was wondering who the best 5th gen trick room user is and why? also, what would be a good moveset, nature, ev spread, and held item for this pokemon?

flamehaze94
June 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Oh, why that would simply be Reuniclus in standard game. It has great bulk and is very slow, enough to outpace many slower defensive Pokemon like Blissey and even Forretress. Not to mention its high base special attack and its ability Magic Guard which shields it from all passive damage (Sandstorm, Life Orb, etc.) Unlike other strong, slower Pokemon, Reuniclus can set Trick Room itself and not be a liability on the team.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
252HP / 252SpA / 4Def
Quiet nature
0 Spd IVs
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

The first slash is recommended for a STAB move, but Psyshock allows it to beat Blissey. You can even try and squeeze Recover in there, but it also loses a coverage move.

Vrai
June 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
i was wondering who the best 5th gen trick room user is and why? also, what would be a good moveset, nature, ev spread, and held item for this pokemon?

The best Trick Room user by far is Reuniclus. It's slow, has immense power and bulk, and has pretty good 3-move coverage. It ravages offensive teams on its own. :)

Reuniclus @ Life Orb (magic guard removes recoil damage)
Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

edit: fladskjfd YOU!!

altaria221
June 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Alright guys, i've been thinking and i'd like your opinions on these two guys

Volbeat @Salac Berry
Nature: Calm/Bold
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 4 HP, 252 Def, 252 Sp Def
Moveset:
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Tail Glow
-Light Screen/Encore

..and..

Illumise @Salac Berry/Petaya Berry/Leichi Berry
Moveset:
-Growth
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Encore/Charm

Volbeat is more set to baton pass a quick +3 Sp Atk and +1 Spd to a sweeper. Illumise is more set for sunny day teams to baton pass a +2 Atk and Sp Atk and a Salac/Leichi/Petaya berry boost to a hopefully Chlorophyll user. Unlike most other Baton Passers, these guys don't have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters or priority attacks. I'd like some ideas on the EV's, should i move them around a bit more to outpace the occasional poke packing a decent bit of speed and priority move? Your help is much appreciated!

dreyko
June 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
alright, im back again with yet another question. so here it is. what is a good moveset, ev's, nature, and held item for Mandibuzz?

thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who answers =)

Vrai
June 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
alright, im back again with yet another question. so here it is. what is a good moveset, ev's, nature, and held item for Mandibuzz?

thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who answers =)

name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Brave Bird
move 4: Taunt / Whirlwind / U-turn
item: Leftovers
ability: Overcoat
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

here ya go. :3

Gymnotide
June 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Alright guys, i've been thinking and i'd like your opinions on these two guys

Volbeat @Salac Berry
Moveset:
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Tail Glow
-Light Screen/Encore

..and..

Illumise @Salac Berry/Petaya Berry/Leichi Berry
Moveset:
-Growth
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Encore/Charm

Volbeat is more set to baton pass a quick +3 Sp Atk and +1 Spd to a sweeper. Illumise is more set for sunny day teams to baton pass a +2 Atk and Sp Atk and a Salac/Leichi/Petaya berry boost to a hopefully Chlorophyll user. Unlike most other Baton Passers, these guys don't have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters or priority attacks. I'd like some ideas on the EV's, should i move them around a bit more to outpace the occasional poke packing a decent bit of speed and priority move? Your help is much appreciated!

You still have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters. If they use Taunt on the turn you stat-up, then you're still screwed.

jab2033
June 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Well, I'm trying to breed an Elekid with HP Ice in HeartGold, and have two parents with the following IVs:

Male: 26/26/15/7/31/30
Female: 26/26/26/8/31/31

The above IVs are listed in this order: HP/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Spe

Now, I'm trying to get a HP Ice with max(or close to max) IVs, which is 31/31/31/31/31/30

I have a Power Anklet on the Male and a Power Band on the female, to pass down the Speed and SpDef IVs respectively.

Both the 31 SpDef from the female and 30 Spe IVs from the male should be inherited by the offspring since I have the right Power Items equipped. However, both IVs are not passed down every single time. Sometimes I end up with a Speed IV of a random number or a random SpDef IV. What is going on here?

I do use the EV/IV check AR code to confirm my IVs, but I'm positive that's not the issue as that's the ONLY code I've ever used and it's never caused issues before.

Does the IV HAVE to be 31 in order to be passed down by the Power Item? Or is it something else?

Vrai
June 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM
You still have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters. If they use Taunt on the turn you stat-up, then you're still screwed.

That is, assuming that the Pokemon out has Taunt. I'd think the ideal situation would be more like Volbeat uses Tail Glow as they switch to their Taunter, and then they Baton Pass away. ;x

Dr Alex
June 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
What's a good set for a timid glaceon??

.Aero
June 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
You're going to want to go with a Choice Scarf set because of Glaceon's poor base speed. Here's the set:

Glaceon@Chioce Scarf
Timid Nature [+Spe; -Atk]
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Baton Pass
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

Glaceon doesn't have the best movepool, but this is its most effective set. Blizzard is for a powerful STAB, and makes her a great hail sweeper (due to Snow Cloak and the 100% accuracy Blizzard). Hidden Power Grass can be used to beat water types that would otherwise wall your only stab, and Ground hits most steels that don't have a ground immunity that also wall her ice attacks. Baton Pass is mainly for scouting. Ice Beam can be used if you're not sure you'll get hail up, making it a more reliable STAB in the accuracy department, but doesn't hit nearly as hard as Blizzard does. Shadow Ball can be used for coverage as well and hits the aforementioned levitating steels for neutral damage.

dreyko
June 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
what do you think of this set for scrafty?

Nature: adamant
@ expert belt
ability: moxie/shed skin ( not sure which one)
252 Attack 126 Def 126 Spe. Def 4 speed

Drain punch
crunch
fake out
protect

slickmario
June 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Meh, you're better of with Jolly. Adamant makes it stronger, but Speed is needed much more than Attack. Also, no need for all the Defense. Keep it at 4 HP, 252 Attack, and 252 Speed. Get rid of Fake Out and Protect, and replace them with Dragon Dance and Ice Punch. Give it a Life Orb, or Leftovers if you want it to last a long time (which it really isn't good at). And Hi Jump Kick might be better than Drain Punch, as HJK hits harder. But there is the risk of crashing and losing a lot of HP. Honestly, Conkeldurr is a much better Fighting type.

solarowl
June 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'm a bit confused with Power items in breeding. How would you use them to pass down IVs?
Like, for example, let's say I had a Flawless Ditto and I put it and a Haxorus in Daycare, hoping for a maxed out IV in at least Attack. How would it work?

.Aero
June 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Depending no the power item, the corresponding IV will be passed down. A flawless Ditto with 31 Atk IVs will pass down those 31 IVs guaranteed (I think, not really sure if this true) if it's holding a Power Band I believe (whichever power item increases attack gain). It works the same for all other stats. The max you can pass down guaranteed is two, because each parent can hold one of the items. :P

dreyko
June 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Meh, you're better of with Jolly. Adamant makes it stronger, but Speed is needed much more than Attack. Also, no need for all the Defense. Keep it at 4 HP, 252 Attack, and 252 Speed. Get rid of Fake Out and Protect, and replace them with Dragon Dance and Ice Punch. Give it a Life Orb, or Leftovers if you want it to last a long time (which it really isn't good at). And Hi Jump Kick might be better than Drain Punch, as HJK hits harder. But there is the risk of crashing and losing a lot of HP. Honestly, Conkeldurr is a much better Fighting type.

hmm i see your point. i have a jolly scrafty with the same ev spread you listed above. even with 252 EV's in speed and a jolly nature it still gets outsped by lots of threats, such as terrakion and mienshao. so i decided to max out attack and have an adamant nature while maxing out both defenses as much as possible so that it can be a tad bulkier. the reason i have fake out on it is to break focus sashes and cause a flinch right of the bat. protect is just to stall and scout moves, but i think ice punch would work much better, as you said

Perrie ✿
June 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM
what do you think of this set for scrafty?

Nature: adamant
@ expert belt
ability: moxie/shed skin ( not sure which one)
252 Attack 126 Def 126 Spe. Def 4 speed

Drain punch
crunch
fake out
protect

I can see you're wanting to go for an offensive Scrafty set ;3

Scrafty @Leftovers
Trait: Jolly
Nature: Moxie if you're going for full out offensive, Shed Skin gives you a bit of security against Status effects
Ev's: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
- Ice Punch/Taunt

Dragon Dance boosts your mediocre speed and average attack, Crunch is a reliable STAB move, Hi Jump Kick is amazingly strong especially with STAB, however a 90% accuracy isn't the best. Drain Punch is weaker but is 100% accurate and also provides some sort of recovery, Ice Punch along with HJK/DP and Crunch let's you hit everything for at least neutral, although Taunt let's you go for those who try to taunt you.

.Aero
June 9th, 2011, 01:34 PM
hmm i see your point. i have a jolly scrafty with the same ev spread you listed above. even with 252 EV's in speed and a jolly nature it still gets outsped by lots of threats, such as terrakion and mienshao. so i decided to max out attack and have an adamant nature while maxing out both defenses as much as possible so that it can be a tad bulkier. the reason i have fake out on it is to break focus sashes and cause a flinch right of the bat. protect is just to stall and scout moves, but i think ice punch would work much better, as you said

Ice Punch lets you not get walled by the likes of Gliscor, who would otherwise laugh at your Drain Punch / Crunch combo and roost off the damage. And after a DD, Scrafty can outspeed base 101s positive natures (by 1 point exactly) with Jolly and that EV spread. Most notably, Thundurus. Also, he outspeeds non-scarf Garchomp and can hit hard with Ice Punch, although if they don't run scarf, they might run Yache, so be wary. I also recommend Drain Punch >> HJK because Drain Punch offers a much needed recovery for him. His DD set isn't as bulky as his stats make him out to be, and I also suggest Shed Skin so that you don't get demolished by a burn from Jellicent (who you would otherwise beat with a cute Crunch).

Gymnotide
June 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Since it wasn't addressed before (because I don't think it was noticed), can we get the thread titles back from the old Comp-Battling forum? In the old one, you could tag a thread by which Generation it belonged to, so we could judge it before we entered, i.e. [Gen V], [Gen IV], etc. I thought those were kind of nifty, even if 80% of them would be [Gen V] anyway.

Vrai
June 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM

If what you're looking for is a bulky set, I'd take a look at this:

name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Crunch / Dragon Tail
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers
ability: Shed Skin
evs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD
nature: Careful

This lets him set up on quite a few special attackers with ease and at the same time boost his physical Defense and Attack with Bulk Up. Rest is for semi-reliable recovery (Shed Skin has a decent chance of knocking off the sleep turns before they should be over) and Drain Punch provides another form of recovery. This set abuses Scrafty's solid bulk much moreso than the DD set though it has more hard counters. Fighting+Dark gives near-perfect coverage (save Toxicroak and Heracross), but so does Fighting+Dragon and Dragon Tail allows you to phaze things trying to set up on you at the same time and/or rack up Spikes damage.

edit @ gymnotide: I'd go alert one of the mods, not post here.

.Aero
June 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Since it wasn't addressed before (because I don't think it was noticed), can we get the thread titles back from the old Comp-Battling forum? In the old one, you could tag a thread by which Generation it belonged to, so we could judge it before we entered, i.e. [Gen V], [Gen IV], etc. I thought those were kind of nifty, even if 80% of them would be [Gen V] anyway.

Wolflare has informed me that he posted a request to get this added to the forum back when CBC was opened up. They haven't gotten around to it I guess. Just be patient and I'm sure it'll be up within the week. :]

csa99
June 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
i really like typhlosion and charizard, they both have the exact same base stats so whaich ones should i use and what moveset for them?

Vrai
June 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
i really like typhlosion and charizard, they both have the exact same base stats so whaich ones should i use and what moveset for them?

They're both fairly unpopular although they do each have an individual niche. Typhlosion is known for a Scarf Eruption set which has to be run with a spinner or else the whole point (bringing it in with full health to get max damage) is moot due to its SR weak. Charizard will also need a rapid spinner unless you want it to be dead the second time you switch it in. ;x

Charizard's set works best with Drought - utilizing a Specs/Scarf set with the ability Solar Power which is obtainable through Dream World. Its Fire Blast receives the equivalent of 3 STAB boosts - meaning, you're gonna burn anything in your way to ashes. The Specs set 2HKOs Blissey/Chansey in the sun. That's how strong it is. ;x

Really, the only reason to use those is for their STAB Fire moves. You can run other coverage moves (like Air Slash on Charizard and Hidden Powers etc) but mostly you'll be spamming those moves so you won't have to have much else on them. 252/252 Modest/Timid is probably good for both.

okjoek
June 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hi I'm working on a normal monotype team for some fun with my friends and was constructing a blissey because it just seems to be a special wall.

My moves are:

Seismic toss- seems like a bread & butte move for it to me.
Shadow ball- gets what seismic toss can't
Softboiled- heals
Toxic- helps in withering away opponents

Any advice on that is appreciated but what I realy would like to know is a useful item and sugjested evs for this set.

.Aero
June 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
WishBliss is Blissey's best set, although it's not completely accessible on Wifi I do believe. :x If you're playing on Pokemon Online, this shouldn't be a problem, so here:

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Def; -Atk]
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Wish
- Protect / Softboiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss / Flamethrower

The Toxic / Flamethrower combo is only walled by Heatran, and the Seismic Toss / Toxic combo is only walled by Gengar. Protect / Softboiled is preference. Protect and Wish basically does the same, but sometimes can be risky to try and pull of, but also allows for Toxic stalling where needed. With Softboiled you don't have to worry about any of the problems that Protect / Wish have.

chaos11011
June 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm looking for a Weezing Counter for RU, maybe one with good synergy with Weezing, Electavire, Moltres, Krookodile and Grotle?

Thanks in advanced!

Vrai
June 11th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm looking for a Weezing Counter for RU, maybe one with good synergy with Weezing, Electavire, Moltres, Krookodile and Grotle?

Thanks in advanced!

I dunno anything that directly counters it but I'd think anything with any kind of special attack or "insert-psychic-move" would maul it, easy. Looking through the RU thread as well, it seems like Weezing isn't too incredibly popular anyway... why be worried about it? Oh, notably, Cresselia's in that tier. You could use that.

Also why are you using Grotle and not Torterra? I'm pretty sure he's not used enough to be in UU lol ;-;

dreyko
June 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
whats a good moveset for gigalith and zoroark?
thanks in advance =)

Perrie ✿
June 11th, 2011, 04:36 PM
whats a good moveset for gigalith and zoroark?
thanks in advance =)

Gigalith @Custap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
Ability: Sturdy
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion

That's a lead set for Gigalith orrr there's a LO set;

Gigalith @Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
Ability: Sand Force
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Return

As for Zorrroooo they're are many sets;

Zoroark @Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Night Daze
-Focus Blast
-Flamethrower/Extrasensory
-Nasty Plot

This is his NP special sweeping set

Zoroark @Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
-Sucker Punch/Night Slash
-Low Sweep
-Flamethrower
-Swords Dance

This is the physical equivalent to the special sweeper set.

Zoroark @Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive/Timid Nature
-Night Daze
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-U-Turn

Choice scarf set, let's Zoroark abuse his high stats without boosts. <:

chaos11011
June 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Also why are you using Grotle and not Torterra? I'm pretty sure he's not used enough to be in UU lol ;-;
Eviolite Grotle bro. It's surprisingly bulky and can use Leech Seed to support my team members. It's also my Stealth Rock poke.

deoxys121
June 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I would like to ask what you recommend for an in-game moveset for a female Unfezant (currently a Tranquill). I originally bred her to a Pidove, and through this, I taught her Hypnosis, which I would like to keep. What I was thinking was Fly, Hypnosis, Toxic, and Return or Giga Impact. What would you guys recommend?

Alternative
June 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Unfezant is a terrible Pokemon competitively, due to it's average stats and terrible movepool, but if you're insistent on using one, here's what I'd recommend.

Unfezant @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Hypnosis
- Aerial Ace/Pluck
- Return
- U-Turn

This is honestly the best thing you're going to get from Unfezant if you ask me.

Exile
June 12th, 2011, 11:12 PM

Thanks in advanced!

Alakazam seems like what you're looking for. It's powerful special attack should make quick work of Weezing's less than steller SpDef.

Also, do you have a rapid spinner on this team? Moltres might not enjoy 50% of his health being eaten by Rocks, Claydol might prove useful as a wall and rapid spinner, you should look into using it.

chaos11011
June 13th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Karpman, with Moltres the only SR weak Pokemon in this team, I don't think a Rapid Spinner will be needed. Also, thank you Karpman, I'm going to test Alakazam now.

Vrai
June 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Karpman, with Moltres the only SR weak Pokemon in this team, I don't think a Rapid Spinner will be needed. Also, thank you Karpman, I'm going to test Alakazam now.

It's still almost necessary to get one since you'll be 2HKO'd just by switching in and out, unless you want to make one of your Pokemon dead weight after it's switched in once. ;-;

OneofFour
June 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Alakazam is in RU? That's below UU right? Color me surprised, what with Magic Guard.

dreyko
June 13th, 2011, 03:32 PM
hows my set for Krookodile looking?

krookodile @ focus sash
Adamant
ability: intimidate
4 HP 252 Attack 252 Speed

foul play
earthquake
protect
dragon claw

i will be using it for double battles. protect is to scout moves and everything else is for type coverage. dragon claw takes care of most dragon types and foul play and EQ are strong STAB moves.

.Aero
June 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM
You're going to want to work your set around a little, as Dragon Claw, sure it hits dragons, but it hits nothing else. Dragon-type moves should stay on solely dragons because they get the STAB bonus. Try this set out:

Krookodile@Life Orb / Focus Sash / Expert Belt
Adamant or Jolly Nature [+Atk; -SpA] [+Spe; -SpA] (respectively)
Ability: Intimidate if you want more bulk, Moxie if you want to sweep
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect / Bulk Up

Foul Play isn't that reliable of a move, since it uses the opponent's attack stat instead of yours (say you attack Blissey with it, you'll do very little damage). Crunch is more reliable and has plenty of power for a more reliable method of hitting pokemon. Earthquake is good, but Dragon Claw, as mentioned earlier, doesn't really offer much coverage. Stone Edge when paired with Earthquake offers amazing coverage, and with Crunch thrown into the mix, the only pokemon that resist all of these moves are Breloom and Virizion. Everything else will be hit for neutral damage. Protect is a good scouting ability for doubles I guess (I don't play doubles much) and can help you keep yourself safe from moves like Surf and the like, but if you ever find it becoming useless for whatever reason, Krook appreciates Bulk Up to help out his defense stat, and hit harder with his amazing coverage. :]

Hope this helps. :]

deoxys121
June 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I would like a suggestion for a moveset for my Stunfisk. Yes, I'm using a Stunfisk. I like Stunfisk. He's actually doing pretty well for me. I bred him to know Earth Power, which I am DEFINITELY keeping. Here's what I was thinking:

Earth Power
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb
Sandstorm

Give me your advice, please.

Lunaras
June 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM
im new to online battles(really havnt even done it but will have wifi soon), currently care more about the pokemon i want to use more than the universal best so dont suggest more

right now i have a delima between these 2

havnt thought of a snappy name for him
Breloom, Adament(took me 50+ eggs to get this then got a female, so if any1 wants 1 i can trade a baby later)
EVs: att, HP
Passive: poison heal
Item: Toxic orb
facade
pump up
spore
worry seed(just to get rid of hassle some passives)

"CritHappens"
Primape, adament
EVs: att, speed
passive: vital spirit
item: razor claw
cross chop
focus energy
ice punch(for flying)
-----------this spot i really cant decide, drain punch or substitute would be good i guess, all the dark moves are bad since they r low dmg apart from beat up(requiring full party) or payback(shouldnt be out sped that often)

Zorua
June 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Breloom would be far more useful than Primape, to be honest. I've heard a lot about the SubTO/GigaDrain/Drain Punch(?) version, and it would do you a lot more greater service than Primeape would. Plus, with sub up, you could also get a focus punch in too, which again, makes breloom a lot more useful.

Watch out for things like gliscor though, when you're using it.

Lunaras
June 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
i dont see why u would have giga drain and drain punch, u cant use both at 1ce and punch will do so much more dmg

critape bypasses all def boosts on the other hand, im running out of other pokemon so i might just use both, breloom as a normal sweeper, primape as a tank breaker

Anti
June 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Primeape isn't very good. It's a little too weak and a little too slow to be a powerhouse and it can't take hits very well. It's a pretty poor Fighting-type. Also, relying on critical hits is very risky. In general, relying on getting good luck is not a very good strategy.

Breloom is definitely a lot better. Even though it lacks Speed and has rather average bulk (if that), Spore, Substitute, Seed Bomb, Focus Punch, Facade, and Leech Seed all work very well together. How you mix and match them is really up to you. In my view, the Breloom with the best damage potential is the Spore Puncher, which uses Spore, Focus Punch, Seed Bomb, and Facade, though Stone Edge can be thrown in ahead of one of the latter two attacks. It takes some prediction to use which is good because as a new player, you can practice prediction which is an important skill to develop. If you predict right though, it's a terror...or at least it used to be. It's been a very long time since I've used one.

Also, if this is for Gen 5 as I assume it is, Technician Breloom will be released at some point which is good for Swords Dance + Mach Punch glory. You'd have to ask a Dream World player how good it is though.

Do you know of Pokemon Online? There, you can test teams in battle simulations, which is great so that you don't waste time making a WiFi team that might end up being kind of average.

Lastly, this belongs in the Simple Q&A sticky at the top of the forum, so I'll move it there.

Lunaras
June 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
thx, still trying to learn the forums, its kinda hard to determine were i should put some of my posts

how much is really worrying about chance though? with using an item that gives crit, a move that gives crit, then a move that often crits, wouldnt u be near 50% crit rate after that? and if u max speed then primape is up there near 100

and ya just downloaded pokemon online, ive got my primape, gardevoire, misdreveous, sandslash, and breloom all pluged in just trying to find that 6th atm, would have to find a replacement for primape too i guess

currently on HG but will be getting b/w soon, so cant catch any of them yet

PlatinumDude
June 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I would like a suggestion for a moveset for my Stunfisk. Yes, I'm using a Stunfisk. I like Stunfisk. He's actually doing pretty well for me. I bred him to know Earth Power, which I am DEFINITELY keeping. Here's what I was thinking:

Earth Power
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb
Sandstorm

Give me your advice, please.
Sludge Bomb doesn't give much coverage. Sandstorm is best left to Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Stunfisk is more of a defensive Pokemon, glancing from its stats:
-Discharge
-Earth Power
-Scald/Toxic
-Rest
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/68 Def/188 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Vrai
June 14th, 2011, 05:30 AM
how much is really worrying about chance though? with using an item that gives crit, a move that gives crit, then a move that often crits, wouldnt u be near 50% crit rate after that? and if u max speed then primape is up there near 100

It's still not very good to rely on critical hits. Why? Well, yes, the 50% sounds good (idk how much it really is - it might be smaller than 50% but I'm too lazy to check) but in retrospect it's the same as Zap Cannon and DynamicPunch's accuracy, and people don't use those moves because they don't want to rely on bad accuracy. It's still a fifty percent chance for you to ~not~ get that crit and it's also assuming that you're gonna get a KO with that crit, otherwise you're going to take tons of damage from their attack since Primeape is so frail. Plus that also requires you to use a turn for Focus Energy where you could take a huge hit, and it's also got middling speed so lots of Pokemon outspeed it still. I'd much rather use a more reliable stat-upper (like, say, Bulk Up Toxicroak or Swords Dance Lucario), since you know 100% for sure they'll be packing more damage the next turn, whereas relying on crits nets you the same result only half of the time. :(

PlatinumDude
June 15th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Are there any good movesets for each of the 5 Rotom formes?

Chaosreins21
June 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
im so tired of getting bullied in wifi battles pokemon white version iv iv trained and ev trained why am i still getting squashed?

Dark Azelf
June 15th, 2011, 06:41 AM

The Rotom formes are rather poop with the exceptions of Rotom-W who benefited.

Rotom-W@Leftovers
112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch / Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Standard tank set.

Rotom-W@Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire/Ice]
- Trick

choice set.

Vrai
June 15th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Mostly what D_A said. The sets for the others are basically the same with their key moves in over those anyway. I mean, if you're looking for a specific typing in those mons you can use them but otherwise I'd try to stay away from Rotom formes unless you're using Rotom-W.

im so tired of getting bullied in wifi battles pokemon white version iv iv trained and ev trained why am i still getting squashed?
Then you're probably not using good movesets, getting outpredicted, or just outplayed. You can't get bullied in Pokemon, you just lose. ;-;

If you're tired of losing then the only way to win is to practice and get better. Everyone loses a lot when they first start, especially if they just started thinking competitively.

Dark Azelf
June 15th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Then you're probably not using good movesets, getting outpredicted, or just outplayed. You can't get bullied in Pokemon, you just lose. ;-;

If you're tired of losing then the only way to win is to practice and get better. Everyone loses a lot when they first start, especially if they just started thinking competitively.

Adding onto this, your team might not be optimal in which case you should post a RMT.

That and there is the tutoring program stickied here which maybe be helpful to you.

dreyko
June 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
hows my set for landorus?
landorus @ muscle band
nature: hardy ( not the best but its the only landorus in the game)
trait: sand force

stone edge
u turn
earthquake
brick break

Vrai
June 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM
hows my set for landorus?
landorus @ muscle band
nature: hardy ( not the best but its the only landorus in the game)
trait: sand force

stone edge
u turn
earthquake
brick break

with that kind of set, it'd be good to use choice scarf (good with u-turn) as well as hammer arm >> brick break (you won't be staying in so the speed drop is negligible). also jolly nature would be preferred but if you can't get it i guess it's better than a -spe nature. choice band is also usable too.

InspectorH
June 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I need a good moveset for my mew and mewtwo double battle team. So far the moveset of mew is Reflect, sunny day,fireblast and solar beam. Mewtwo is completely untouched territory so has all the moves it comes with when caught. Help please!!

Chaosreins21
June 18th, 2011, 08:05 AM
need a good move set for my dw nidoking

nidoking @?
nature: Bold
evs hp/4 att/252 speed/252
sheer force

mega horn
?
?
?

any thought would be appreciated

.Aero
June 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I need a good moveset for my mew and mewtwo double battle team. So far the moveset of mew is Reflect, sunny day,fireblast and solar beam. Mewtwo is completely untouched territory so has all the moves it comes with when caught. Help please!!

Mew@Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast / Shadow Ball

Mewtwo@Life Orb
Timid Nature [+SpA; -Atk]
Ability: Pressure
- Psystrike
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Calm Mind / Ice Beam

need a good move set for my dw nidoking

nidoking @?
evs hp/4 att/252 speed/252
sheer force

mega horn
?
?
?

any thought would be appreciated

Nidoking's Sheer Force only boosts moves that have side-effects, and I believe it only works on moves with flinch or major status changes with them (i.e. Burn, Poison, etc). His special movepool offers the most moves for abusing this boost, and Sheer Force also prevents Life Orb recoil, so use that:

Nidoking@Life Orb
Timid or Modest Nature [+Spe; -Atk] or [+SpA; -Atk] respectively
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast

Anis
June 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I just wanted some advice on some good EV spreads, movesets and natures on the pokemon stated: Amoongus, Elecktross, Hydreigon and Tornadus
Thanks a lot for your time and help,
Anis :)

flamehaze94
June 19th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hi,
I just wanted some advice on some good EV spreads, movesets and natures on the pokemon stated: Amoongus, Elecktross, Hydreigon and Tornadus
Thanks a lot for your time and help,
Anis :)

^Hi, if you're still interested in these Pokemon, I can help you. Since I hate copying and pasting though, I'll just make 'em up for you with my general knowledge. You may call me the Pokemon Guru (not really).

Amoongus @ Leftovers
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252HP / 228SpD / 28Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- HP [Ice] / HP [Fire]
- Clear Smog / Stun Spore

Amoongus is a Pokemon that has a pretty unique role despite the lackluster stats. I've seen no Amoongus in standard play though :( so this really is off the top of my head. You can use Regenerator on this, though I'm not sure if it came out yet, but if it did, then that'd be much better. The speed EVs give you a jump on Reuniclus so you can Spore it before it sets up and no speed investment Wobbuffet just in case one comes along. The Hidden Power choices are up to preferance, one beats up Gliscor and Dragons while Fire hits Ferrothorn. If you're using HP Fire though, bump up the speed one point to compensate for the IV loss.

Eelectross @ Life Orb
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SpD)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240Atk / 184SpA / 84Spe
- Wild Charge
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- HP Ice

A lot of people have requested Eelectross movesets before so I kinda remember it being like this. Wild Charge does quite a bit of damage on Blissey so it's all cool. You outspeed no speed Tyranitar so all good. You hit quite a lot of defensive cores hard with this set. You may run a Brave nature on this easily to abuse the fact it has reasonable bulk and no weaknesses, but you'll fail to outspeed Blissey.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 4Def / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse / U-Turn

~~~~~~

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid nature (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 4Def / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- U-Turn / Dark Pulse / Head Smash

I listed two sets for Hydreigon that work moderately well. The Modest Hydreigon actually has the stongest Draco Meteor in OU play (unless Latios starts running Modest now :/). You have an actual Fire attack and Focus Blast that all differentate it from Latios. The last slot is a throw up between whatever you want.

The Scarf set shares the same moves with the exception of Head Smash. This may seem funny, but even with a attack reducing nature you still KO Bold max /max Volcarona everytime. It's the only OU Dragon capable of doing that now that Garchomp is gone. It's kinda gimmicky at best though, hence why it's the last option.

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Naive nature (+Spe, -SpD)
Evs: 32Atk / 224SpA / 252Spe
- Hurricane
- Hammer Arm
- Rain Dance
- U-Turn / HP Ice

One of the best things about Tornadus is priority Rain Dance. In this weather-centric metagame, even having Drzzle Politoed sometimes may not be enough. You don't even need much Atk EVs to OHKO Tyranitar so just boost out its best stats. LO Hurricane will wreck just about anything not resistant to it. U-Turn helps to scout and HP Ice gives you a 100% attack option against Gliscor and Dragons.

DeeJay
June 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hey folks,
I've just finished slogging through the Battle Subway, and I am sick of fighting the CPU all the time. There are a few pokes I've bred for strong IVs, and I just don't know the best way to use them, especially in "real" battles. My favorite is:
Hydregion @ White Herb
Nature: Modest
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Charge Beam / Scary Face

Basically, she's a Sp. Atk monster (Max IVs in Sp. Def and Speed, trained for Sp. Atk and Speed mostly) and quite versatile...but I don't really know how to use her most effectively on a competitive team. Any suggestions for teammates/items? I prefer single battles.

Also, I want to use an Eelectross, but I don't know a good nature/moveset... Any suggestions on good teams with one of those would be great as well!

flamehaze94
June 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
It's not our policy in CBC to build teams for you. It's not particularly hard, just check out some teams previously posted to get an idea. But if you want movesets, then go to the sticky Request Thread. Funnily enough, I just finished posting Hydreigon and Eelectross sets in there, so yeah.

DeeJay
June 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
It's not our policy in CBC to build teams for you. It's not particularly hard, just check out some teams previously posted to get an idea. But if you want movesets, then go to the sticky Request Thread. Funnily enough, I just finished posting Hydreigon and Eelectross sets in there, so yeah.

Ha ok then. Thanks for the redirect. I'll close this one then.

Mastamune
June 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I was wondering if there was an alternative way to breed both Mach Punch and Drain Punch on a timber. Right now, the only way I see is with Hitmonchan, and that's a bit impossible for me right now (i used the Drain Punch TM....T.T).

Help with this would be much appreciated.

dreyko
June 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
question about EV training.

since i can use a max of 10 vitamins for each stat on one pokemon, and each gives 10 EV's thats a total of 100, right?
so if my pokemon has pokerus if i give it 10 vitamins would that give it 200 EV"s for that one stat?

BlackRay
June 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM
question about EV training.

since i can use a max of 10 vitamins for each stat on one pokemon, and each gives 10 EV's thats a total of 100, right?
so if my pokemon has pokerus if i give it 10 vitamins would that give it 200 EV"s for that one stat?

I don't think that vitamins include the pokerus addon. Though, this is from my knowledge, which is pretty good to EV training. :p
So, 100 ev's. From 10 vitamins.
Including Pokerus.

A question for my own, i've just starting building a team, and was looking for a mixed sweeper, (if that's what you refer it to as, new to this :p)
Or to rephrase it a bit differently, a strong pokemon with a set with strong physical and special attacks.
I was told by a friend, that Lucario could prolly work. But I wasn't too sure.
Any Pokemon would work, as long as it's not impossible to breed with.
(Not a legendary or a pokemon only available through events.)

~Akiko
June 21st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Is 3v3 wifi matchup at all a reliable way of playing your team? I always seem to choose the wrong 3 when I play. My teams are for fun though. Even if some of my Pokemon are NU and such, if I would pick correctly I would have a chance at winning.

Is there any trick to this?

Freedom Fighter N
June 22nd, 2011, 02:40 AM
What is a good defensive mon in SS?

My team is:
Azelf (lead)
CB Ttar
Disable Gengar
SD Excadrill
Sigilyph (I think about replacing this guy)
Wish Vappy

I'm not going to RMT cause I lack experience with gen 5, only looking for a viable replacement for Sigilyph. I thought of Latias but I can't figure out what set to use. It needs to be defensive btw but I can't find a defensive set for Latias.

Perrie ✿
June 22nd, 2011, 07:31 AM
What is a good defensive mon in SS?

My team is:
Azelf (lead)
CB Ttar
Disable Gengar
SD Excadrill
Sigilyph (I think about replacing this guy)
Wish Vappy

I'm not going to RMT cause I lack experience with gen 5, only looking for a viable replacement for Sigilyph. I thought of Latias but I can't figure out what set to use. It needs to be defensive btw but I can't find a defensive set for Latias.

You should do an RMT! ;; Experience doesn't matter. Why not sign up for the tutoring class?

Anyway, Sigilyph is hard to use, since it rely's on using stat raising moves, Quagsire laughs at it. A defensive Latias set would be this;

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Roar / Reflect / Wish
- Calm Mind / Reflect / Thunderwave

That's the most defensive set; his mono attack, or there's this;

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Surf / Substitute

Which is kinda defensive? ;;

Although if you're looking for something who can take a hit like beast use this;

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Ivs: 0 Speed
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed / Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball / Thunderwave / Protect

Ferrothorn is one of the best walls in game, enjoy! :D

dreyko
June 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
hows my cloyster looking?
cloyster @ choice scarf
trait: skill link
nature: jolly
252 Attack 252 speed 4 Def

icicle spear
razor shell
ice shard
? ( need help with the 4th move)

so this is a rather odd cloyster because it is scarfed. my strategy with it is to attempt to outspeed most threats and take them out with icicle spear, or revenge kill with ice shard since it is a priority move. i figured most people would expect cloister to set up entry hazards rather than be scarfed so i kinda have an element of surprise on my side with this poke

i really need help with the 4th move btw. any help/comments/rating will be appreciated =)

.Aero
June 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Most people actually run a Shell Smash Cloyster, which allows him to take down a lot of different types of pokemon due to Skill Link and its ability to ignore substitute (almost) and increase critical hit chance (because each of the five hits has a chance of hitting for a critical hit, effectively increases the chances by 5x).

Cloyster@White Herb / Life Orb
Jolly Nature [+Spe; -SpA]
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell / Hydro Pump

Shell Smash, doubling speed and attack (and special attack if you decide to run Hydro Pump); White Herb will prevent your defense from falling, which is nice because Cloyster's naturally high defense stat can save him in a few cases; Life Orb adds more power obviously and ensure more OHKO's or 2HKO's. Icicle Spear and Rock Blast both abuse Skill Link, offering some coverage (albeit not much); Razor Shell and Hydro Pump are up to preference. If you're afraid of getting walled by the likes of Skarmory, Hydro Pump is a better option, whereas Shell Smash can be useful if you aren't worried about physical walls like Skarm. :] Hope this helps!

Anis
June 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Hiya,
I wanted to know how you receive the eevee evolution pokemon befriended on the online game. I befriended an Espeon a while back, but haven't managed to transfer it onto my black version - don't know what to do. I entered the dream world, but don't know what I have to do to bring the pokemon into my game. Would be very grateful if someone could help.

Gymnotide
June 24th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hiya,
I wanted to know how you receive the eevee evolution pokemon befriended on the online game. I befriended an Espeon a while back, but haven't managed to transfer it onto my black version - don't know what to do. I entered the dream world, but don't know what I have to do to bring the pokemon into my game. Would be very grateful if someone could help.

This question belongs in the Quick Questions thread in Stunfisk & Herdier.

The PGL website has instructions on the Promotions page. You'll need to Game Sync your cart to the Global Link and then capture the Espeon in the Entree Forest.

Yanminator
June 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM
A simple question.
My team has been kicked to the curb far too many times and I can't figure out why. I've EV trained all of them and most are level 50-80. And no matter what, it just seems like my Pokemon are overall weaker than anything I've battled online. My team does very little damage to the opposing Pokemon, and are usually killed in one hit. I've raised my team's HP and Defenses but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
Question: Will a Pokemon who has been leveled up to 100 have higher overall stats than one who hasn't, when competing in a Flat Battle?
Does a Pokemon that has been EV trained to maximum EVs not receive all of the added stat points, and therefore not reach it's potential zenith until it has Max leveled?

.Aero
June 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM
So it seems you've EV trained your pokemon in the Defense stat and HP stat? Well generally, EV'ing pokemon in just those stats isn't always the best idea. It depends on the pokemon and the general rule-of-thumb is to EV train your pokemon in their best stats. For the example of Defense and HP, Skarmory comes to mind because it has a naturally high defense stat, and paring that with HP and Def EVs, you can make a bulky physical wall.

However, pokemon like Haxorus do not want to be EV'd in HP and Def because he's generally taking the role of a sweeper, more specifically, a physical sweeper. With his massive 147 base Attack, you would want to spend 252 Evs in Attack and Speed, with 4 in HP (to not waste anything) to offer maximum potential.

On top of that, natures are extremely important as well. Make sure your natures match what you want the pokemon to be doing. Impish (raises Defense, lowers Special Attack) is excellent for Skarmory, whereas Adamant is excellent for Haxorus (raises Attack, lowers special attack).

To answer the rest of your questions; no, a pokemon trained to level 100 will not have better stats if it's dropped to a flat rate of 50 for a battle. As for you second question, that is correct. You will not see all the investments of your EVs until you reach level 100. I wouldn't really worry about this if you're battling at a flat rate of 50, because your opponent faces the same hurdle.

Zorua
June 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM
A simple question.
My team has been kicked to the curb far too many times and I can't figure out why. I've EV trained all of them and most are level 50-80. And no matter what, it just seems like my Pokemon are overall weaker than anything I've battled online. My team does very little damage to the opposing Pokemon, and are usually killed in one hit. I've raised my team's HP and Defenses but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
Question: Will a Pokemon who has been leveled up to 100 have higher overall stats than one who hasn't, when competing in a Flat Battle?
Does a Pokemon that has been EV trained to maximum EVs not receive all of the added stat points, and therefore not reach it's potential zenith until it has Max leveled?

The reason why I stopped playing Black version is that EVing there is somewhat way too difficult than distributing EVs as far as Pokemon Online is concerned. If anything, using that would be your best bet if you want smooth battling and what have you, but if you would rather stick to wi-fi, then there are many things that may hamper your progress when it comes to EV training. These things are namely:

EVs themselves: From the moment a Pokemon hatches from it's egg, you would have to figure out a way to distribute proper EVs into the specific stats and do it correctly. What makes EV training kind of frustrating this time around is that its extremely "fragile", if you will, in the sense that if you do mess up on EVing or do something incorrectly, you would more than likely have to rebreed and start the process all over.

...And well, I would say more factors, but I think the above pretty much covers all of your issues. If anything, either you're using the wrong pokemon to counter certain threats, or maybe your EVs are distributed incorrectly. These all could be factors of your losses, but then again, I blame wi-fi battling for the reason that it's kinda unreliable and kinda frustrating in general. Believe me, I used to be quite the fond wi-fi battler myself, but ever since joining PO, I've no reason to do the such anymore.

wolf
June 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM
i'll post this anyway since apparently this was deleted during the move!

since the 50 is half of 100, the stats are much less accurate, as is the damage. for example, max attack lucario vs a max hp metagross does 54.7% - 64.6% while level 100, and when they are both level 50, it's 56.1% - 66.3%. though it seems there is a slight increase, so i'm not sure why your pokemon seem weaker. as far as i know, pokemon still keep their evs in a flat battle too. does your pokemon have poor natures or ivs? if not, i don't know what the issue is then.

Yanminator
June 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM
i'll post this anyway since apparently this was deleted during the move!

since the 50 is half of 100, the stats are much less accurate, as is the damage. for example, max attack lucario vs a max hp metagross does 54.7% - 64.6% while level 100, and when they are both level 50, it's 56.1% - 66.3%. though it seems there is a slight increase, so i'm not sure why your pokemon seem weaker. as far as i know, pokemon still keep their evs in a flat battle too. does your pokemon have poor natures or ivs? if not, i don't know what the issue is then.

The main Poke in question is my Spiritomb. It has Calm Nature, boosting Special Defense and lowering Attack. Then I trained 252 EVs into HP, 116 Speed, 122 Defense, 20 Special Attack. I would think that (coupled with Spiritomb 's naturally high defenses ) this would be a decent Pokemon.

As she stands now, Spiritomb's stats at Lv. 51:
HP: 154
Attack: 92
Defense: 136
Special Attack: 104
Special Defense: 126
Speed: 64

wolf
June 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
The main Poke in question is my Spiritomb. It has Calm Nature, boosting Special Defense and lowering Attack. Then I trained 252 EVs into HP, 116 Speed, 122 Defense, 20 Special Attack. I would think that (coupled with Spiritomb 's naturally high defenses ) this would be a decent Pokemon.

As she stands now, Spiritomb's stats at Lv. 51:
HP: 154
Attack: 92
Defense: 136
Special Attack: 104
Special Defense: 126
Speed: 64spiritomb with perfect ivs, the same ev spread, and at level 51 gives me:

HP: 159
Atk: 102
Def: 146
SpA: 117
SpD: 143
Spe: 71

so yeah, your tomb does have much lower ivs than a standard flawless one, and that's most likely the reason why it's weaker.

.Aero
June 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I can already tell you that your IVs aren't very good (or you EV training is off somewhere). Regardless, Tomb should be using EVs like this: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with Bold Nature. His best set at the moment is a Calm Mind set, so boosting with Calm Mind will offer excellent defenses.

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Def; -Atk]
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Dark Pulse
- Sleep Talk / Hidden Power [Fighting]

This is the recommended set for him. It offers the most survivability, while also providing you with decent coverage and status absorbing capabilities.

Yanminator
June 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
How do you determine a Pokemon's IV?

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Def; -Atk]
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Dark Pulse
- Sleep Talk / Hidden Power [Fighting]

Spiritomb can't learn Sleep Talk in 5th generation. And how do you specify which Hidden Power you want to use?
And Bold nature is similar to Calm nature, just boosting standard Defense instead of Special Defense. Are you suggesting going with a solid standard Defense and forgetting all about the Special Defense? I'm not so confident that there are enough players that ignore Special damage.

.Aero
June 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM
There a couple ways, but here's the best calculator:

http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Choose your pokemon, nature, "characteristic" (when you click the drop down box, you should know what I mean), and fill in the stats/EVs you've invested and click Calculate. It will give you the IV values at the bottom. :] (This assumes level 100 I believe though).

Alternatively, if you use Pokemon Online, you can adjust the pokemon's level on the right, fill in the EVs, and then steadily move the IVs about until you notice changes in the stats. When they match yours, you know you have that IV. Be careful though as it could be a range of IVs.

Yanminator
June 24th, 2011, 11:16 PM
How do you improve a Pokemon's IV?

wolf
June 24th, 2011, 11:37 PM
How do you improve a Pokemon's IV?
unfortunately, you cannot. your pokemon are given its own ivs right when you catch/hatch it. it's random really, unless you use rng abuse or other breeding techniques.

grumphie
June 25th, 2011, 01:34 AM
just wondering, is golurk a good pkmn for countering fighting, normal and electric pkmn? his abbilitys are pretty bad, so i was wondering if it aint a waste to get him for the league

cazzler
June 25th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I've been EV training a Kabutops and I can't think of two other moves for it.
It has...

- Swords Dance
- Waterfall

I'm thinking of these

- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- X-Scissor/Night Slash

Vrai
June 25th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I've been EV training a Kabutops and I can't think of two other moves for it.
It has...

- Swords Dance
- Waterfall

I'm thinking of these

- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- X-Scissor/Night Slash

Stone Edge and Aqua Jet/Low Kick are the two best options for those slots.

Perrie ✿
June 25th, 2011, 03:58 AM
How do you determine a Pokemon's IV?

Spiritomb can't learn Sleep Talk in 5th generation. And how do you specify which Hidden Power you want to use?
And Bold nature is similar to Calm nature, just boosting standard Defense instead of Special Defense. Are you suggesting going with a solid standard Defense and forgetting all about the Special Defense? I'm not so confident that there are enough players that ignore Special damage.

You raise it on a Generation IV game, then transfer it over... also, it has Calm Mind to raise it's Special attack and Defense stats, that is why Bold nature + 252 Ev's in Defense are needed.

Vrai
June 25th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Like dragonomega said, Calm Mind will boost your Special Defense - that's why you don't really need to focus so much on it because it will be boosted anyway. Your Hidden Power is determined by your IVs. More information on that can be found here (http://serebii.net/games/hidden-power.shtml).

csa99
June 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM
is this a viable sunny day jumpluff moveset:
Jumpluff - Chlorophyll/ leaf guard - Leftovers
Jolly Nature
252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 defence
sleep powder
amnesia
cotton guard
toxic

Basically you put them to sleep using your sleep powder, then use amnesia and cotton guard and increase your special defence + 2 and defence +3 respectively
then if the opponant wakes up after about 1 of each then put it back to sleep and keep using amnesia and cotton guard. Then when it wakes up again use toxic and just toxic stall out

dreyko
June 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM
what is a good defensive jirachi set? i was thinking about going the whish/calm mind combo.

jirachi @ leftovers
quirky nature ( its the only nature i have without hacking)
252 Sp. def 252 SP. attack 6 speed
calm mind/ cosmic power
wish
psychic/psyshock
doom desire/flash cannon/ thunderbolt

archeops14
June 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Can I please have a moveset for an Archeops?

Pokedra
June 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Can I please have a moveset for an Archeops?
Archeops @ Flight Jewel
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Acrobatics
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake / Quick Attack
-Protect / Fast Guard

I'm pretty sure that's a standard Archeops set.

archeops14
June 30th, 2011, 02:20 AM
thanks. hopefully none of them are breeding moves.

dreyko
July 1st, 2011, 08:50 AM
does the eviolite item boost slowbro's defenses? and does a grip claw extend moves like tail slap,bullet seed, and rock blast?

Ah-sha
July 1st, 2011, 09:31 AM
Just as the title says.
I'm IV breeding scythers and I realized that one of them have the characteristics "thoroughly cunning" and "happily eats anything".

What does it mean to have 2 characteristics and how do I know their IVs?

Thanks

.Aero
July 1st, 2011, 10:23 AM
Eviolite only works on pokemon that will evolve, so no it doesn't work on Slowbro.

Grip Claw does not affect moves such as doubelslap, bullet seed, rock blast, icicle spear, etc. Only moves like Wrap, Whirlpool, Fire Spin, etc. that cause "indirect" damage I guess you can call it.

PlatinumDude
July 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
The "Thoroughly Cunning" is the charactersitic. The "Happily eats anything" thing represents what Poffin flavor it likes, so in that case, it has no preference.

Also, only 1 characteristic can be displayed at a time, even if the Pokemon has 2 or more highest IVs.

Ah-sha
July 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM
The "Thoroughly Cunning" is the charactersitic. The "Happily eats anything" thing represents what Poffin flavor it likes, so in that case, it has no preference.

Also, only 1 characteristic can be displayed at a time, even if the Pokemon has 2 or more highest IVs.
Wow, I feel like a total idiot.
Thanks dude.

Vrai
July 2nd, 2011, 05:09 AM
what is a good defensive jirachi set? i was thinking about going the whish/calm mind combo.

jirachi @ leftovers
quirky nature ( its the only nature i have without hacking)
252 Sp. def 252 SP. attack 6 speed
calm mind/ cosmic power
wish
psychic/psyshock
doom desire/flash cannon/ thunderbolt

looks like no one replied, so i will! special defensive jirachi is its best set.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
(Careful Nature would be preferred but if you can't get it that's fine)
252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
- Iron Head
- Body Slam / Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect / Fire Punch

dreyko
July 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
@ vrai thanks =)

anyways heres another question. who is the best dual screens user?
since 5th gen brought new pokes and gave espeon magic bounce via DW perhaps bronzong is no longer the best or as good as it used to be ( i still think it gets the job done though)

i was thinking maybe magic bounce espeon or cryogonal would make good dual screen users but i want others opinions/thoughts/suggestions.

all help is appreciated =)

greg0915
July 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'm going to get a Cofagrigus and I've read up on smogon
But I'm unsure on what Nature and EV spread to have
I was thinking:
Shadow Ball/ Hex
Calm Mind
Rest/ Trick room/ Will-o-wisp
Trick room/ Will-o-wisp/ Energy Ball/ Psychic
Chesto Berry/ Leftovers
Modest/Bold/Calm
128 HP/252 Sp.atk/128 Sp.def

Perrie ✿
July 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
I was thinking:
Shadow Ball/ Hex
Calm Mind
Chesto Berry/ Leftovers
Modest/Bold/Calm

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Rest / Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

Copypasta from Smogon. It's the calm mind set, yours looks vaguely similar.

@ vrai thanks =)

since 5th gen brought new pokes and gave espeon magic bounce via DW perhaps bronzong is no longer the best or as good as it used to be ( i still think it gets the job done though)

i was thinking maybe magic bounce espeon or cryogonal would make good dual screen users but i want others opinions/thoughts/suggestions.

Deoxys-S makes a very good dual-screener, being the fastest Pokemon ever. Bronzong still keeps a good spot in being a dual-screener, having incredible bulk and having 1 weakness, well two, but levitate. Cryogonal isn't good, it maybe fast but a physical attack of any kind will destroy it. Espeon can be a dual-screener, but it's not the best.

Vrai
July 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
I was thinking:
Shadow Ball/ Hex
Calm Mind
Chesto Berry/ Leftovers
Modest/Bold/Calm

Whoa there, a little less on the slashes. XD

Trick Room is also viable, yes. Cofag's best set though is the CM one that dragonomega posted. :)

@ vrai thanks =)

Espeon is useful, especially on hardcore smashpass teams. You can use Magic Bounce to prevent PHazing with teams like those and then smashpass away. Outside of smashpass, though, I think Deoxys-S is by far the best, as Dragon also mentioned. Cryogonal just isn't a very good Pokemon in general so I'd rather use a lot of other options before it. You can also sneak screens into [insert Psychic-type], like Reuniclus or Lati@s though it's generally not worth giving up a moveslot or two for those.

greg0915
July 3rd, 2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the info
I tried out this set against some friends and it worked really well
Name: Bulky Calm Sweeper
Move 1: Calm mind
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Shadow ball
Move 4: Trick room
Item: Chesto berry
No EVs
I was just thinking of switching Trick room with another move eg. HP, Psychic, Energy ball
And with the the EVs I was thinking 252 HP, 128 Sp.atk, 128 Def

richie.from.kanto
July 3rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
what pokemon are considered ubers and are banned in wifi battles?

Vrai
July 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info
I tried out this set against some friends and it worked really well
Name: Bulky Calm Sweeper
Move 1: Calm mind
Move 2: Rest
Move 3: Shadow ball
Move 4: Trick room
Item: Chesto berry
No EVs
I was just thinking of switching Trick room with another move eg. HP, Psychic, Energy ball
And with the the EVs I was thinking 252 HP, 128 Sp.atk, 128 Def

Run 252 HP / 252 Def - you'll be boosting SpD and SpA anyway so they don't matter. You should use Hidden Power Fighting for perfect coverage with Shadow Ball.

what pokemon are considered ubers and are banned in wifi battles?

Here is our online ban list. (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6428576&postcount=1) In wifi battles, I guess this is the ban list (just did a quick google search so not 100% sure):

Mewtwo
Mew
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys
Chatot
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus
Victini
Reshiram
Zekrom
Kyurem
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect

and Phione and Chatot. Hope that helps. ;(

greg0915
July 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks a lot I will do that ;D
I've started IV breeding for 27+ HP, Def, Sp.Def and Sp.Atk

greg0915
July 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I'm looking for an Eviolite set for a Dusclops
To go in a Bulky+ Slow team (with a few ghosts)

I was thinking:

Stalling status spread
Move 1: Will-o-wisp
Move 2: Disable
Move 3: Trick room/Pain split
Move 4: Confuse Ray
Item: Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp.Def

tekniko
July 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hey everyone! Sorry for the newb question but I am a newb :(

What game are you playing where you battle each other? At the top of this forum there is an announcement about PC hosting their own battling server? How do I connect to this?

Thanks!

wolf
July 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
well, we use a pokémon game for the usual battling of course. we also have a pokémon online server (http://www.pokecommunity.com/announcement.php?f=234&a=392) that we use for both battling and chatting. there is a download link in that announcement. after downloading, make a team in team builder, go online, and select our server. hope to see you there!

Fairy
July 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hey everyone! I'm wondering what a good moveset would be for Gliscor. I would like to keep it as physically defensive and supportive as possible.

I had this in mind:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal (Hyper Cutter?)
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Speed
Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack] / Impish [+Defense; -Sp.Attack]
- Ice Fang / Stealth Rock
- Earthquake / Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Fling / Protect / Toxic / Knock-Off / Roostadfkasdfkasdfagn

I heard that Hyper Cutter is good with Baton Passing variants of Gliscor, but I'm not gunna go there right now. ;-;

As you can see it's kind of a cluster-fluff. So I'd like some help! :3

Thanks guys!

dreyko
July 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM
how would i get a magnemite with HP fire?

i know this is a short question but any help is appreciated =)

.Aero
July 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Well Stealth Rock with Poison Heal is illegal, so that's not an option.

Fling goes really well with Acrobatics because you'll get that base power boost, as well as with Protect and EQ.

EQ and Ice Fang are fairly standard on most sets (especially Swords Dance).

Another set that's common is Sub / Protect / Toxic / EQ; You can actually heal off sub damage after a sub / protect because poison heal does 12.5% instead of the leftie's 6.25%.

As for EVs and Nature:

252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
With Impish is standard on all sets.

@dreyko: You have to get the Magnemite's IVs to produce a Hidden Power Fire. This would require an IV spread similar to this one: 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 30

Latios Master
July 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM
What's a good moveset for Haxorus? Thanks in advance.

Vrai
July 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
What's a good moveset for Haxorus? Thanks in advance.

Its best moveset is a Choice moveset, preferably Choice Band. DD is outclassed by Salamence in general due to better base speed and coverage and SD, while it hits like a truck, takes a turn of set-up (and things that outspeed it still scare it out) whereas CB can come in, smash a Steel, and run away.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
ability: Mold Breaker / Rivalry (MB lets you beat Zong and makes it easier to spam EQ, Rivalry lets you 2HKO other Steels even but you risk having people run female Steels just for Hax)
nature: Adamant / Jolly (Ad preferred)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break / Rock Slide
- Dual Chop / Dragon Claw

Skuntank
July 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Can anybody help me with a new Gen V team? I want to use Terrakion/Zoroark/Vaporeon and maybe Heatran. Is there any way this can be done? i'm willing to take away these choices but they are my preference thanks

Lady Gaga
July 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
My battle subway team, made up of some of my favourite Gen V pokemon. However, I need some help with movesets...help much appreciated :)

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/72/Spr_5b_620_s.png
Mienshao ♀ ★ @ BrightPowder
Nature: Naive
Ability: Regenerator
Moves: Hi Jump Kick, U-turn, HP Ice, Fake Out
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
The lead. My strategy: start off with Fake Out, then beat down on the team for as long as I can until I am ready to bring out Volcarona. Hi Jump Kick gives great power (which is preferred over Drain Punch. I am not too worried about keeping this guy alive, I just want him to deal as much damage as he can for Volcarona to finish off), and HP Ice is surprisingly very effective. However, I almost never use U-Turn. Given how short and small Battle Subway battle/teams are, it is not really that effective to use. So, I was thinking about replacing it with Stone Edge. Again, it is the brute power that this guy is great with dishing out. Oh, and on a side note, BrightPowder because Volcarona is already using Life Orb, and it was the best item I could find tbh. Opinions?
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/18/Spr_5b_637.png
Volcarona ♂ @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flame Body
Moves: HP Rock, Quiver Dance, Heat Wave, Bug Buzz
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
The sweeper. Heatwave and Bug Buzz are great STAB moves, and with Quiver Dance its almost unstoppable. However, my problem is, I find Volcarona doesn’t get too show its power because it is always dieing ahaha. So, to combat that, I wanted to replace HP Rock (which is alright, since Mienshao would get Stone Edge) for Subsitute. Ive seen it before on Volcarona, and it has worked pretty well. Opinions?
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/ec/Spr_5b_579_s.png
Reuniclus ♂ ★ @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Moves: Calm Mind, Recover, Psychic, Focus Blast
The support. Yes, he is the support, covering weaknesses and the such, but he should also take the title as sweeper. I usually use him as a last resort, but when I do Reuniclus always destroys the opposing team. Hes pretty bulky, so I can spam Calm Mind+Recover, and then STAB Psychic ftw. Focus Blast has been working great, however the one thing I find with this team is that I have no way to effectively combat Water types, which are pretty common. So, to replace Focus Blast (which I would be fine with, seeing how ive got Mienshao w/ STAB Fighting) with a good ol’ Thunder. It is basically the same as Focus Blast, 130 damage, secondary effect, and 70% accuracy. However, the bonus with this is that ive got more coverage now, which is always welcome lol. Opinions?

Vrai
July 9th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Stone Edge is fine on Mienshao; if you're gonna use Sub on Volcarona I'd use Lefties too and give Reuniclus the Life Orb - it takes no recoil damage from it due to Magic Guard; Thunder seems okayish on Reuniclus, though a few misses are going to suck. :(

dreyko
July 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM
for meinsho i would give it an expert belt so thats its super effective moves get some extra power. or if you don't want it to die in one hit you could give it a focus sash, because only getting a fake out hit in sucks if mienshao doesn't get another hit in.

Lady Gaga
July 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
@Vrai: I think ill do just that (with the items). And Thunder has been great. Missed twice so far out of a 21 streak, so its doing alright. However, I think I am just going to go back to Focus Blast, it worked better for me anyways.

@dreyko: I was actually thinking about giving her a Wide Lens, too boost accuracy for Hi Jump Kick and Stone Edge, however Expert Belt can work as well. Opinions?

dreyko
July 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
well if your really worried about a miss then wide lens would work. in some cases a miss could be deadly so i see your point there. if you really want meinshao to pack more punch when it attacks with a super effective hit then you could go with expert belt. it really a personal preference and trial and error of what you think works best. there are also a lot of other attack boosting options like muscle band, black belt, choice band,and various gems.

.Aero
July 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
If you do end up going with Stone Miss Edge, go with Wide Lens. I understand the missing aspect of that move can be really annoying and match-changing, so it will benefit from the extra 8% accuracy. HJK will appreciate it too, because in the event that 10% happens of missing, your Mienshao is basically done for. If it still does end up missing occasionally because of Wide Lens making it 1% away from perfect, well, that just sucks. xD Regenerator is useful for healing off HJK misses though I guess.

Expert Belt would be preferred if you stick with U-turn over Stone Edge.

Everything else looks great to be honest. :] I wish you luck in your Battle Subway endeavors.

iGuybrush
July 10th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hey guys. I am new here, and I need help with my team. I already have three pokemon, which I think should defiantly be in my team. At this time, you do not need to know the levels as I am going to train them when I have an idea what my team is going to be. I have two pokemon games, I lost my pearl a while ago, so I may not be able to obtain pokemon through that game. I own: Pokemon Black. I also own, Pokemon: Soul Silver.
My team at the minute is:

Mewtwo - Shadow ball. Recover. Auro Sphere. Psystrike.
I have EV trained mewtwo's special attack.

Ho-oh - Shadow ball. Sacred Fire. Future Sight. Fly.
I have not EV trained ho-oh at all, I do not know what stat to EV train it in. The movepool is not that good, tips on that would be very much appreciated!

Dragonite - Dragon dance. Outrage. Brick Break. Aqua Tail.
I have not EV trained Dragonite, I do not know what stat I should EV train him.
The movepool is terrible! Tips on that would also be very much appreciated!

So that is my team so far.
I would love someone to reccomend moves and what I should EV train them in, also I do need another 3 pokemon, I can get them from black or soul silver, I CAN use wi-fi, the only problem is that you need to have the pokemon in your pokedex to request them.

NO MORE LEGENDARYS - Thanks.
I have enough in my box's - Legit.

Thanks!

Blackmagix95
July 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
What is much better for a blaziken and sceptile to have speed, attack, special attack, defense, special defense or hp?

dreyko
July 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
What is much better for a blaziken and sceptile to have speed, attack, special attack, defense, special defense or hp?

for blaziken i would focus your EV's in attack and speed so a spread like 4 HP 252 Atack 252 speed would be a pretty generic Ev spread for blaziken.

for scpetile i would definitely invest 252 EV's into speed. i guess it could be a good mixed sweeper, but im not so good with mixed sweepers so im unsure as to what EV's should go to on sceptile, with the exception of its speed stat.

hows is my set for breloom looking?

breloom @ toxic orb
4 HP 252 Attak 252 Speed
jolly

seed bomb
mach punch
leech seed
spore

my goal with brelooom here is to put the opponent to sleep with spore and the follow it up with leech seed. even if the opponent switches out i still get a free turn to seed them.
i feel this set is kinda generic but even generic sets need work, so thats where you all come in. =)

Perrie ✿
July 10th, 2011, 02:38 PM
for blaziken i would focus your EV's in attack and speed so a spread like 4 HP 252 Atack 252 speed would be a pretty generic Ev spread for blaziken.

for scpetile i would definitely invest 252 EV's into speed. i guess it could be a good mixed sweeper, but im not so good with mixed sweepers so im unsure as to what EV's should go to on sceptile, with the exception of its speed stat.

hows is my set for breloom looking?

breloom @ toxic orb
4 HP 252 Attak 252 Speed
jolly

seed bomb
mach punch
leech seed
spore

my goal with brelooom here is to put the opponent to sleep with spore and the follow it up with leech seed. even if the opponent switches out i still get a free turn to seed them.
i feel this set is kinda generic but even generic sets need work, so thats where you all come in. =)

It looks like your Breloom is leaning towards a SubPunch set, which would be this;

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spore

Blaziken is banned from Standard play in Gen V OU. So I'd forget him :V Sceptile depends, it can be a Mixed Sweeper, Physical sweeper, Special sweeper and a SubSeeder. Specify which you want please C: :3

Fairy
July 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hey!

I'm sorry, but the raters here cannot build a team for you. ;(

If you're going to post here, than you need a vague idea of all, if not most, of what your Pokemon are going to be, including movesets, abilities, items, and so on. We cannot tell you which Pokemon you should use based on the three that you gave us. That is impossible. The point of and RMT is to rate your already mostly constructed team, not build one for you. Even still, all the raters can do is suggest alternative movesets and whatnot for your Pokemon. If you are not sure about which Pokemon makes a good teammate for another, than post that in the Q&A sticky at the top of the forum. Otherwise, please edit your post so your Pokemon follow this format:

Pokemon @ Item
Ability
EVs
Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Once you have a completed team, the raters will be more than willing to give you suggestions on more effective movesets or recommend bigger and better things to make your team battle ready! :3

Mewtwo - Shadow ball. Recover. Auro Sphere. Psystrike.
I have EV trained mewtwo's special attack.

Ho-oh - Shadow ball. Sacred Fire. Future Sight. Fly.
I have not EV trained ho-oh at all, I do not know what stat to EV train it in. The movepool is not that good, tips on that would be very much appreciated!

In case you're unaware, Mewtwo and Ho-oh are in the Uber tier. This tier consists of Legendary Pokemon and other Pokemon who have characteristics that have no clear check and are therefore banned from standard play (you can read more about the Pokemon banned from OU here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=242563)). So you wouldn't be able to use them unless you want to build an Uber team. Which I'm going to assume that you do not based on your comment about, "No more Legendaries". Besides all that, two-turn moves like Fly are not recommended in a competitive environment. It just gives your opponent time to set up against you.

If you want to know which stat to EV train a Pokemon in, it's generally best to work with that Pokemon's specific advantages. Heatran has a high Special Attack, so it's best to give 252 EVs into Special Attack. However, although it seems a little unconventional, Ho-oh does well in its Attack stat as opposed to Special Attack. The difference between the two is minimal (a matter of 44 points, if I remember correctly), but it gives you a good direction as to your EV spread.

This set would work well in the Uber tier (I think?). However, just remember that if you want to play in OU you have to get rid of Ho-oh and Mewtwo.
http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/250.gif
Ho-oh @ Choice Band
Pressure
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Adamant [+Attack; -Special Attack] / Jolly [+Speed; -Special Attack]
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird
- Punishment

As you can see, this is a Choice Band set. EVs are spread between Attack and Speed with the leftovers in HP. Adamant would be the nature of choice for all out power, but Jolly will give Ho-oh a major boost in Speed, which can be invaluable at times. Sacred Fire hits ridiculously hard and few Pokemon will want to switch into it. Combine that with Earthquake and you'll have great coverage. Brave Bird is a powerful STAB attack and Punishment will help against things like Calm Mind Mewtwo. (I do not frequent Ubers often, so I hope I'm on the right track here.)

Dragonite - Dragon dance. Outrage. Brick Break. Aqua Tail.
I have not EV trained Dragonite, I do not know what stat I should EV train him.
The movepool is terrible! Tips on that would also be very much appreciated!

Actually, your moveset for Dragonite isn't too bad. You certainly have the right idea, I would just make a few changes.
http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/149.gif
Dragonite @ Yache Berry / Life Orb / Leftovers
Multiscale
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Adamant
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Roost / Brick Break / Extreme Speed

Now, as far as Multiscale is concerned, I'm not 100% certain what moves are allowed and what isn't. So if someone has more information than I do, please correct me. Anyway, same EV spread as Ho-oh. Attack, Speed, HP. Simple. I'm working off of the Dragon Dance you're using on your existing set, hence its appearance in this one. Outrage is the primary STAB attack since it's so devastating to everything with the exception of Dragon-resistant Steels. Enter Earthquake. Earthquake will deal with the Steel types and Fire Punch will deal with the Steels that are not grounded (Bronzong, Skarmory etc.). However, if Steel types aren't an issue for you than you can be free to use Roost. Extreme Speed will give you a strong priority attack (I run ES on my Dragonite and I absolutely love it). As for the items, the Yache Berry will help out the serious damage Ice does to Dragonite, being x4 weak to it. It will also be sure to keep Dragonite alive if you consider the benefits of Multiscale. But you can always go with the Life Orb for more power but recoil, or Leftovers for neutral power but healing. It's up to you.

If EVs are still alluding you, than read this (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual). It's an EV training manual that will give you all the information you need to make an informed decision concerning the EV spread of each Pokemon.

Hope this helped! :D

dreyko
July 11th, 2011, 10:36 AM
well just about everything has been said by Alexial357, but i do have a recommendation for your dragonite.
if you are going to have the multi scale ability then i would definitely put roost into the move pool because multi scale allows dragonite to take less damage from attacks when it is at 100% HP. so, if your dragonite is down to about 55% health then a roost will bring it back to full health. but aside from that roost just allows dragonite to last a little longer. for example if you predict that the opponent is going to switch out then you get a free turn to go for a roost to recover some HP.

hope this helps with your dragonite a little =)

Skuntank
July 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
is Excadrill still usable without a sandstorm team? And how do you play a non-rock/ground/steel pokemon in a sandstorm team?

edit: also is having a sandstorm team cliche in gen V?

.Aero
July 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM
is Excadrill still usable without a sandstorm team? And how do you play a non-rock/ground/steel pokemon in a sandstorm team?

Excadrill performs poorly outside of sand because of his speed that leaves much to be desired. Its frailty also hinders it if it can't outspeed much (which would happen outside of sandstorm). He basically needs sandstorm to be honest, I don't know why you'd run him out of it anyway...

And playing non-rock/ground/steel pokemon on a sandstorm team is very similar to any other team. Pokemon like Jellicent, Latios, etc. can do just fine without having to worry much about taking the sandstorm damage each turn, Jellicent because of its access to the move Recover, and Latios because of his naturally high speed and the fact that he OHKOs most pokemon with a simple D-Meteor. This means for Jellicent, he can just heal of the sandstorm damage no problem, and Latios doesn't have to worry too much about taking direct damage that often.

So basically look for pokemon that can heal off the sandstorm damage, or are capable enough to not have to worry about the indirect damage that they'd be receiving.

Vrai
July 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
edit: also is having a sandstorm team cliche in gen V?

If you mean popular, then yes. Overused, yes. It is by no stretch of the imagination 'bad' and 'something to avoid' as terms coined with 'cliché' usually are. It's used a lot because it's good and effective.

greg0915
July 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
whats a good set for a Cradily? I really love Fossil Pokemon and Cradily is one i haven't a lot of experience with.

And also Would its DW Ability (Storm Drain) be better?

PikachuGuy
July 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Aloha everyone.

I just hatched a Male Adamant Dratini. I'm completely new to the EV training thing, so I'll need a bit of help. I want to EV it in attack and speed, so I bought the power bracer and power anklet. Question is, when do you START EV training? Do you start right at level 1 or can you start when it evolves into Dragonite? And I get the idea that the power items add 4 EV's in that stat plus the EV's that the wild Pokemon gives. Example: Dratini holds power anklet, he defeats 1 Magikarp. He gets 5 Speed EV's, 1 from the Magikarp and 4 from the power anklet. And another thing is, how do you know when the stat has maxed out?

dreyko
July 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM
for EV training its best to begin right away. the power items just double the amount of EV's you get when you defeat a pokemon. so in 5th gen if you were to have the dratini hold the power anklet and you defeat a basculin, which gives 2 EV's, the power anklet doubles that so you would get 4 EV's in the speed stat. in order t know when the stat is maxed out you reallly just have to keep track of the EV's yourself. so write the number down or if you have a very good memory you could keep track of it all in your head.

furthermore there can be a maximum of 252 EV's in one stat. so if you were to EV train your future dragonite in attack and speed the Ev spread should look like this:
252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP

hope this helps =) if you have any more questions just post them because theres a lot more experienced trainers who can also help.

@ greg0915
i found this nice set on smogon so here it is =)

cradily @ leftovers
careful
suction cups/storm drain
252 HP 252 Sp. Def 4 Def

rock slide
curse
rest
sleep talk

the goal with this set is to curse up your defense and attack and rest to heal of any damage it takes. then from there you sleep talk which randomly uses any move it knows so it will either use curse to boost its stats or rock slide to attack or rest if your unlucky.

as fas as the ability goes, i feel both have their advantages. suction cups laughs at phazers who would roar or whirlwind cradily out, so that it looses its stat boosts. however storm drain will raise its special attack when hit with a water type move, so that ability gets rid of one of cradily's weaknesses. personally i would go with suction cups so that you don't get roared out.

hope this helps =)

PikachuGuy
July 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks, dreyko.

I'm EV training in Heart Gold btw. But it says that the power items add 4 ev's to that stat regardless of the Pokemon fought. Like you can still get speed ev's while fighting a Tangela, which gives 1 defense ev. I'm a little confused but I might be able to get it down.

dreyko
July 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
ok so if thats the case then if you were to beat a tangela you would still get that defense EV which would take away from the max amount of EV's that you could put into attack and speed. so, your better of battling strictly the pokemon that give EV's in attack and speed so that you don't end up wasting EV's in stats that you don't want to EV train in.

greg0915
July 13th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Would a Cradily set with Leftovers, Ingrain and Storm drain be worth considering?

dreyko
July 13th, 2011, 08:23 PM
well then only problem with ingrain is that you cant switch out if you really need to, but if you don't plan on switching out then it would work. ive actually seen various sets with ingrain put to good use.

but yeah if you use ingrain the you wont be roared out and then your free to set up and storm drain grants an immunity to water type moves. however, you do have to use a turn to use ingrain so if you want to try and set up right away use the suction cups ability, because you will be able to set up immediately.

greg0915
July 15th, 2011, 03:10 AM
What about:
Ability: Storm Drain
Move 1: Ingrain
Move 2: Recover
Move 3: Curse
Move 4: Rock Slide/Stone Edge
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def

Or this set:
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Move 1: Rock Polish
Move 2: Swords Dance
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Rock Slide/ Stone Edge

Would either of these sets be viable in today's metagame for a Cradily?

Nato4eyes
July 15th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Im pretty new to this but.... How does my team look?

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Atk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dual Chop

Chandelure @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252SpAtk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 40HP/ 252Atk/ 216Spe
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Night Slash

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 4HP/ 252SpAtk / 252Spe
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

Empoleon @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 12HP/ 4Def/ 252SpAtk/ 240Spe
- Agility
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4Atk/ 252SpAtk/ 252Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion

Apple Juice
July 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Anyone help me out with a revenge killing Mienshao set? I've got a 252Atk/252Spe/4Def with HJKick/StoneEdge/FakeOut/HP Ice, Adamant. Need help with item, possible moveset changes?

Cycle
July 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Anyone help me out with a revenge killing Mienshao set? I've got a 252Atk/252Spe/4Def with HJKick/StoneEdge/FakeOut/HP Ice, Adamant. Need help with item, possible moveset changes?

If you already fully EV'd it and would rather not train, this would work but U-Turn should go over Stone Edge and you should get a hasty nature preferably.

dreyko
July 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
for meinshao, if you want it to be a revenge killler the you can go ahead and and give either a choice scarf or a life orb. choice scarf ensures that you out speed who you are trying to kill but a life orb will add some extra power, which could make a difference.

also meinshao has a good ability: regenerator, which allows it to recover around 33% of its maximum HP when it switches out. so, in order to take advantage of this you could utilize the move U-turn, which also works for scouting. and with the regenerator ability you can heal off some of the life orb recoil, if you choose to use this item.

personally i prefer the move drain punch over HJK because of accuracy and the bonus of recovering some HP, but this is really just a personal preference so, you can choose HJ if you really want to pack a punch, i mean kick lol =)

anyways i hope this helps =)

greg0915
July 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
What about:
Move 1: Ingrain
Move 2: Recover
Move 3: Curse
Move 4: Rock Slide/Stone Edge
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def

Or this set:
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Move 1: Rock Polish
Move 2: Swords Dance
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Rock Slide/ Stone Edge
EVs: not sure :S

Would either of these sets be viable in today's metagame for a Cradily?

So has anyone got any ideas?

dreyko
July 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM
which pokemon is better in competitive play: escavalier or accelgor? also what would be the a good move set, item, Ev spread ect. for the better of the two?

RainbowTreecko
July 15th, 2011, 06:34 PM
which pokemon is better in competitive play: escavalier or accelgor? also what would be the a good move set, item, Ev spread ect. for the better of the two?

To the best of my understanding, they fill two rather different roles. Escavalier is ideal for a Trick Room team, and also makes a pretty good bulky attacker even without TR, as long as you have a fire absorbing Pokemon to swap out to if necessary, since it's only problem is a blazing fire weakness. It's movepool is rather lacking, but Bug Gem boosted Megahorn is so deadly that it doesn't usually matter, except against Jellicent. I gave mine:

Escavalier @ Bug Gem
Swarm
Brave - 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
Protect
Megahorn
Iron Head
(debatable)

I gave it swords dance in that slot but never have had the opportunity to use it. Mine was a TR sweeper so it's nature is speed down, and it has 0 speed IVs.

Accelgor is the total opposite, frail and speedy as anything. It can be used as a special sweeper, or as a support Pokemon. So it all depends on which suits your team better.

Im pretty new to this but.... How does my team look?

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Atk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dual Chop

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252SpAtk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 40HP/ 252Atk/ 216Spe
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Night Slash

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 4HP/ 252SpAtk / 252Spe
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

Empoleon @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 12HP/ 4Def/ 252SpAtk/ 240Spe
- Agility
- Surf for sure
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4Atk/ 252SpAtk/ 252Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion

Changes are in bold =) other than that, looks pretty good!!

PlatinumDude
July 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
What would be a good moveset for a Gen V Torterra?

csa99
July 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I'm needing a Physical Sweeper for a gen 5 OU team
i currently have a Volcarona, Hydreigon, Hitomontop, Ferrothorn
My volcarona if a bulky special sweeper with 252 Ev's in HP and Defence with Morning Sun, Quiver Dance, Flamethrower/Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz
Standard Special sweeper hydreigon set
Standard bulky stall Ferrothorn set
but my hitmontop is technician with fake out, mach punch, bullet punch and rapid spin

So i need a physical sweeper (probably not a dragon as i already have one in my team)
Also does my hitmontop have a viable moveset?

Perrie ✿
July 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I'm needing a Physical Sweeper for a gen 5 OU team
i currently have a Volcarona, Hydreigon, Hitomontop, Ferrothorn
My volcarona if a bulky special sweeper with 252 Ev's in HP and Defence with Morning Sun, Quiver Dance, Flamethrower/Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz
Standard Special sweeper hydreigon set
Standard bulky stall Ferrothorn set
but my hitmontop is technician with fake out, mach punch, bullet punch and rapid spin

So i need a physical sweeper (probably not a dragon as i already have one in my team)
Also does my hitmontop have a viable moveset?

Hitmontop's set is viable. Volcarona should have Fiery Dance. It's all around better than Flamethrower.

Maybe try Conkeldurr, it's not a sweeper as such but it can sweep teams. ;-; I just contradicted myself, I know. It can tear teams apart soooo.

Terrakion is an excellent Physical sweeper.

4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Stone Edge / Close Combat / X-Scissor / Quick Attack @Choice Scarf/Band Jolly/Adamant

That's a pretty fierce set, it can sweep entire teams. :3

What would be a good moveset for a Gen V Torterra?

Well it depends what you're wanting it for. There's a defensive lead

Torterra @Leftovers
Ev's: 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature [+Def; -SpA]
Ability: Overgrow
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Wood Hammer

Orr there's the offensive set

Torterra @Leftovers/Yache Berry
Ev's: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature [+Atk; -SpA]
Ability: Overgrow
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

From experience I'll say that the first set is the best.

Ursaring89
July 24th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Musharna @Leftovers
-Hypnosis
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Barrier

A friend of mine told me that this is destined to fail because im trying to do too much, but, after 1 calm mind its special defense is 475 and after 1 barrier its physical defense is 590. Just after 2 turns its defenses are immense and after 2 more they'd be all but unbreakable. The Inly downside is a lack of recovery move other then rest but I don't think it would do all that bad would it?

dreyko
July 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
can i have some feedback on my starmie set please?

stamie @ choice scarf
modest
4 HP 252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed

ice beam
thunderbolt
surf/ hydro pump
grass knot/ psychic

so, i plan to use this starmie on my rain team. i know it is, in some ways, outclassed by rotom- w, but i wanted to try something different. since i used a modest nature, i gave it a choice scarf to help it outspeed the opponent. however im still unsure about the item to give it. LO seems to also be effective too. also, im kinda lost on the last move slot so i need some help with that.

thanks ahead of time =)

Vrai
July 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Musharna @Leftovers
-Hypnosis
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Barrier

A friend of mine told me that this is destined to fail because im trying to do too much, but, after 1 calm mind its special defense is 475 and after 1 barrier its physical defense is 590. Just after 2 turns its defenses are immense and after 2 more they'd be all but unbreakable. The Inly downside is a lack of recovery move other then rest but I don't think it would do all that bad would it?

You are trying to do too much. Anything with Taunt shuts you down entirely, Toxic kills you, Encore beats you, Dark-types win, critical hits win (I mean, it's hax, but it happens anyway) and you have no recovery so just continually chipping away at it will kill it off anyway. You'd be better off trying to run Rest > Barrier and another attacking move > Hypnosis if you want the set to be more effective - that way you get recovery, avoid Toxic, and at least hit Dark-types. HP Fighting would be your best bet.

Vrai
July 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM
can i have some feedback on my starmie set please?

stamie @ choice scarf
modest
4 HP 252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed

ice beam
thunderbolt
surf/ hydro pump
grass knot/ psychic

so, i plan to use this starmie on my rain team. i know it is, in some ways, outclassed by rotom- w, but i wanted to try something different. since i used a modest nature, i gave it a choice scarf to help it outspeed the opponent. however im still unsure about the item to give it. LO seems to also be effective too. also, im kinda lost on the last move slot so i need some help with that.

thanks ahead of time =)

Use Timid. Choice Scarf doesn't let it outspeed anything relevant really and it makes for a fairly poor choice user - one of its best qualities is coverage and you're screwing with that by giving it a scarf. At any rate, Specs would be much better if you -had- to choice it; it's already fast enough. Use Thunder and Hydro Pump to abuse the rain the best. Psyshock and/or Recover are probably the best options for the last slot.

Remember to run something to beat Ferrothorn!

PlatinumDude
July 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Use Timid. Choice Scarf doesn't let it outspeed anything relevant really and it makes for a fairly poor choice user - one of its best qualities is coverage and you're screwing with that by giving it a scarf. At any rate, Specs would be much better if you -had- to choice it; it's already fast enough. Use Thunder and Hydro Pump to abuse the rain the best. Psyshock and/or Recover are probably the best options for the last slot.

Remember to run something to beat Ferrothorn!
Doesn't Starmie get Trick to screw walls over by giving them Starmie's held Choice item?

Anyway, my own question: How viable is a mixed Emboar and if so, is there a good moveset for that?

Perrie ✿
July 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Doesn't Starmie get Trick to screw walls over by giving them Starmie's held Choice item?

Anyway, my own question: How viable is a mixed Emboar and if so, is there a good moveset for that?

Yes it does, but the LO set is used more, or it's Rapid Recovery set (Rapid Spin + Recover I make up names because I roll that way') ANYWAY.

Emboar has shoddy defensive stats which make it not-very-good to use in the standard metagame, it would be great in a TR team though.

But Emboar likes to use it's most powerful stat which is it's Attack.

Buuut if you want a mixed set I guess you could try;

Emboar @Life Orb/Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Hp or 252 Hp / 196 Atk / 60 SpA
Rash / Mild Nature
Ability: Blaze
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge / Head Smash / Superpower
-Scald
-Grass Knot

Flare Blitz is your primary STAB which can really wreck your enemy, but can really whittle your health down when coupled with a Life Orb. Wild Charge deals with Flying/Water types whilst Head Smash can deal with Fire and Bug types, as well as flying types. Superpower is a nice reliable STAB move that doesn't lower your Hp but gives you an un-wanted attack and defense drop. Scald can mess up Ground/Rock/Fire types who have high defense and low special defense and can also burn, giving you a better chance at surviving physical attacks. Grass Knot deals with your bulky waters such as Swampert and Quagsire. Focus Blast is always an option for a Special fighting attack but comes with a low accuracy. Stone Edge can also be used over Head Smash but again; not reliable.

dreyko
July 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
what is the best set for a latios on a rain team?

EDIT: i was thinking along the lines of:

latios @ expert belt
4 HP 252 Sp. attack 252 speed
timid

surf
draco meteor
thunder/thunderbolt
psychic/recover/grass knot

.Aero
July 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Life Orb or Choice item >> Expert Belt if you ask me, seeing as how Dragon, his most powerful move, will only be getting that Expert Belt boost against other dragons. EVs and Nature are fine, and I would suggest a moveset of:

- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- HP Fighting
- Psychic / Psyshock

Without HP Fighting, you are completely walled by Ferrothorn, usually you'd run HP Fire, but since it's weakened, HP Fighting does the same damage, and can hit other things harder (such as Excadrill if needed).

Exile
July 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Life Orb or Choice item >> Expert Belt if you ask me, seeing as how Dragon, his most powerful move, will only be getting that Expert Belt boost against other dragons. EVs and Nature are fine, and I would suggest a moveset of:

- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- HP Fighting
- Psychic / Psyshock

Without HP Fighting, you are completely walled by Ferrothorn, usually you'd run HP Fire, but since it's weakened, HP Fighting does the same damage, and can hit other things harder (such as Excadrill if needed).

Just saying, but Expert Belt allows you to fake choice and possibly end up beating things that THINK they wall you if you were in fact, locked into choice. It's a bit gimmicky, but quite effective.

Lati-Fan95
July 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
My bro wants to play a Sigilyph in a double battle team, so I decided to make a moveset for it. But because my TR team didn´t work that well over Wifi (could be because I don´t like all this breeding-for-best-nature/stats stuff but oh well...) I lost my confidence in my Poke-knowledge.^^ To cut a long story short, I´d like to know whether this set I made for him is any good:

Sigilyph @Flame Orb
Attacks:
-Psycho Shift/Reflect/Light Screen
-Energy Ball
-Psychic
-Calm Mind/Charge Beam

Description: Since my bro likes offensive stuff, I wanted to make it more aggressive.^^ Psychic is STAB, Energy Ball to cover the general Water and Ground weakness his team shows a bit and Calm Mind for boosting offense and defense (my personal favorite because I think that defense is very important), Charge Beam is an okay alternative if all you care about is damage, I guess!^^ Psycho Shift + Flame Orb is there to provide support by making most physical sweepers useless!^^ And the best part of it: Thanks to Magic Guard, it gets no damage from the burn and even is protected against other nasty status changes. I suggested Reflect or Light Screen as alternative because my bro might be too lazy to breed one with Psycho Shift!^^ The choice on whether Light Screen or Reflect will fil that spot should depend on my bro´s weaknesses: When his team is more open to Special attacks, then it´s Light Screen and when there´s a lack of defense, then it shall be Reflect!^^ I also thought that maybe Light Screen + Psycho Shift/Reflect + two offensive attacks might be something worth considering, too because I´d be playing Sigilyph more like a supporter but I don´t think that´s quite my bro´s style...^^

Sorry for the long post...^^ Although most of you probably know how I wanted it to work I thought it´d be best if I´d explain it (and besides, it made more fun that way!^^)...^^ Well, you can go ahead and comment on it now!^^

.Aero
July 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Sigilyph's only viable set is his ability to abuse Cosmic Power. Along with the new move Stored Power, the Cosmic Power boosts will allow for him to do both great damage, and tanks hits very well, while simultaneously screwing with the opponent:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/032/1/7/sigilyph_animated_sprite_by_devinwarriors-d38jdwf.gif
Sigilyph@Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 52 Spe
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Psycho Shift

pockets08
July 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Alrighty Guys - I got a few questions that im sure with a few moments i could find answers through searching, but what one forum says, another forum could say otherwise - so I prefer fresh answers. However - please feel free to leave linkage to forum pages leading me to my answers.

Im a pretty hardcore battler, I love training my pokemon, breeding my pokemon, befriending my pokemon, and sometimes I wonder why I never enter a tournament. Anyway - enough of the whole life story thing.

1. I just gave in an bought my first ever Pokedex and Strategy guide, for Black and white, and it doesnt give much detail into certain things, it just skims over it - andleaves you to figure out the rest. So my first question -

When it comes to raising SPECIFIC stats, there is mentioned a large number of ways. 1 - through item holding, 2 - through battling specific wild pokemon 3 - leveling up. 4 - Nutrition drinks.

So - my main issue is faulty. I see a lot of people not taking the time to specificly raise certain stats based on a move set.

So - my example;
Emboar - Level 54
Nature - Impish/Quick to Flee (Defense/Speed)
Moves;
-Defense Curl
- Yawn
- Rollout
- Heat Crash

(dont bash my move set, its my playstyle. )

STATS
.HP 189/189
.ATTACK 152
.DEFENSE 84
.SP ATTACK 107
.SP DEF 86
.SPEED 91

Okay - So my main stats I Want to raise, are his Attack, and Defense. How would I go about focusing a stat boost on those stats ONLY? I dont understand how to control which stats boost indicidually.

Now - when raising a Pokemon, when I battle the elite Four with a EXP share, making him from lvl 1 - up to like level 20 in one go, does that mean the controlled Base stats I could of earned leveling the pokemon manually, are gone forever? or am I able to max a pokemons stat contribution, even at level 100 - by simply battling certain wild pokemon?

can pokemon reach there max potential in stats, BEFORE level 100?

Sorry for the long going message, but theres just somethings a book wont tell me, I need personal experience!

Also - to increase the benefit of Heat Crash - I will be holding an item to increase weight (if there is one, I dont have my book to look :P )

(Thanks for the thread move - sorry for that as well!)

Anti
July 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
All of the questions individually confuse me a bit, but it seems like the general idea is that you want to EV train (if you don't know what that means, look here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6524881&postcount=6).

First of all, it's definitely too late to EV train Emboar. You have to start right away. To pick up on your example, if you hatch a level 1 egg and then run it through the Elite four with the Exp. Share, it will pick up those EVs as if they were wild Pokémon and they're there for good...well, there are berries that can get rid of EVs, but really, it's best to just start over.

To EV in Attack and Defense, you'll want to check out EV training spots (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101974). It's best to use ten Proteins and ten Irons first though, as that really saves time. If you don't have the money for them, you can skip it.

Pokémon cannot reach their maximum stats before level 100. You can finish EV training before level 100 though...I'm not sure which you meant, but yeah.

Also, I know you said not to bash the moveset, but you're mostly wasting Emboar as a Pokémon. If your desire is to play in tournaments or even to compete in the Battle Subway, you're really going to need to plan it out and use movesets that, if I'm being frank, are one thousand times more effective than a Defense Curl/Rollout combo. Whether or not you change it is of course entirely up to you, but I would prefer to save you the trouble. ;(

pockets08
July 27th, 2011, 03:00 PM
What would you recomend as a Moveset than?

IM a tad confused on how this all works, when i obtain a pokemon, I go through its move list, egg moves, and TM's. and come up with a Visual.

I see Emboar, a Giant pig, throwing its weight around for a main point of attack, thus why I chose Heat crash. the fatter EMboar is, the more power. and I chose Yawn, because I coudl See Emboar being Bored, and a gluttonist similar to snorlax. But idk...If pokemon is all about Mix sets, having each pokemon know moves to counter act differnt effectivness, then thats like trying to make one pokemon, defeat all pokemon. When I look at it like, one pokemon is good vs one or two things, and when something comes out as a weakness, u switch out with somethign that backs its weakness. Feel free to link me again lol.

Haowakeorden
July 27th, 2011, 03:00 PM
First of all, it's definitely too late to EV train Emboar. You have to start right away. To pick up on your example, if you hatch a level 1 egg and then run it through the Elite four with the Exp. Share, it will pick up those EVs as if they were wild Pokémon and they're there for good...well, there are berries that can get rid of EVs, but really, it's best to just start over.
Okay, it's not that hard to get the berries if you have access to the Dream World. Just need a little patience in finding them (on other people's Share Shelves) and waiting a few days for them to grow.

For me, the EV reduction berries are an essential part of EV training. In my opinion, simply gaining some unwanted points is not a reason to "just start over".

pockets08
July 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Okay, it's not that hard to get the berries if you have access to the Dream World. Just need a little patience in finding them (on other people's Share Shelves) and waiting a few days for them to grow.

For me, the EV reduction berries are an essential part of EV training. In my opinion, simply gaining some unwanted points is not a reason to "just start over".

Im going to anyway, I want to be precise. I got a lot to learn, and i DONT have access to dream world very often, I play alone with a friend or two, till i feel comfortable with going online, which bugs me even more cause hax :(

Vrai
July 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM

But when you don't know what any of the EVs are, you essentially have to use enough berries to lower each stat all the way back to the original because they very well could have 255 EVs in each (it's a possibility and you honestly never know). Unless of course I'm mistaken and it tells you that the berry is useless when you eat it, but... otherwise it seems like a huuuuuge waste of time and energy if you don't know what your EVs are already. It seems much easier to just begin again; plus you have the option of IV/egg move breeding etc at that point. :)

pockets08
July 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Okay okay, I get it. I've played pokemon since i was 8 years old, and on. but NEVER competitively, and the moment i stepped foot into the idea of it - I know im gonna be swamped. So please - explain to me the danged terminology!

Sweepers? Walls? - all these terms popping up, and I dont knwo what they meat, and abbreviations - wheres a danged pokitionary when you need one!

Please link me to something to help me understand better. Because competitive pokemon play is making me feel..useless. I keep seeing htings like "Starter Pokemon are basicly unused at all -" blah blah blah, and if you ask me, every single pokemon has a use competitivley. and every single person who appears with "Well heres why that pokemon fails:" - they fail, because they cease to see that the one single pokemons weaknesses, are backed up by the rest of the team. So if I want a Emboar, with a Punch packing Yawn/Curse/Rollout/__ - telling me all the things wrong with it is pointless, because it's weaknesses are backed up by the pokemon behind him, isnt THAT how its supposed to work? :( Idk..all this is confusing :'(

2Cool4Mewtwo
July 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Okay okay, I get it. I've played pokemon since i was 8 years old, and on. but NEVER competitively, and the moment i stepped foot into the idea of it - I know im gonna be swamped. So please - explain to me the danged terminology!

Sweepers? Walls? - all these terms popping up, and I dont knwo what they meat, and abbreviations - wheres a danged pokitionary when you need one!

Please link me to something to help me understand better. Because competitive pokemon play is making me feel..useless. I keep seeing htings like "Starter Pokemon are basicly unused at all -" blah blah blah, and if you ask me, every single pokemon has a use competitivley. and every single person who appears with "Well heres why that pokemon fails:" - they fail, because they cease to see that the one single pokemons weaknesses, are backed up by the rest of the team. So if I want a Emboar, with a Punch packing Yawn/Curse/Rollout/__ - telling me all the things wrong with it is pointless, because it's weaknesses are backed up by the pokemon behind him, isnt THAT how its supposed to work? :( Idk..all this is confusing :'(

It IS a bit (actually really) confusing once you start competitive battling... I'll start you out with few terms.

Sweeper - Pokemon that try to kill as many opposing pokemon as fast as possible. Physical sweepers use physical attacks, and Special sweepers use special attacks. Mixed sweepers use both physical and special attacks, but you need more careful distribution in EVs (Effort Values).

Entry Hazards - Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock. They damage pokemon that has just entered a battle.

Wall - Pokemon that try to end opponent's sweep (counter sweepers). They usually have very high defense & Special defense (example: Bronzong).

Tank - Pokemon that can take couple hits and have high attack. They usually have below average to average speed, good defenses, and high attack/Sp. attack stats.

Even though it seems unfair that some pokemon are neglected, they usually have abysmal base stats and/or have useless or hindering ability (ex. Truant).

If you want to know more about competitive battling, go on youtube videos and search competitive battling, or battle in battle tower more often if you want (though sometimes they're gimmicky because of use of OHKO moves, breaking "evasion clause," (Search google if you don't know what this is) etc.)

dreyko
July 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
its alright to be confuse/imitmidated by the competitive battling field,s imply because there is just a lot to learn. so don't worry we've all been there =)

as far as sweepers and wall a go i can try to give a definition for them

a wall is a pokemon who usually has high defense or special defense or both. its main goal is not to attack but to help support your team and give the opponent a little trouble while doing so. a good example of a wall is jirachi especially the special defense variant. this is a wall because it has good typing with not very many weaknesses and it gets access to wish, not to mention its high base stats.

there a 3 main types or sweepers out there.

first there are physical sweepers who are pokeom that specialize in physical moves and have high base attack stats. a pokemon such has haxorus is a good example as one because it is a monster =)

then there are special sweepers, or pokemon that specialize in special attacks. so pokemon such as rotom w and latios qualify because they havea high base sp. attack.

next are mixed sweepers who have high attack and special attack and both those stats can be utilized equally well..

hopefully this makes some sense lol =)

EDIT: also as far as links go smogon.com and serebii.net can be helpful

Vrai
July 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM

You're right! They all do have a use. However, keep in mind that tons and tons of people have played competitively before you and more or less they've narrowed down some of the best ways to use each Pokemon. You can try to be innovative and come up with new ways, but to be completely fair a lot of the 'standard sets', the ones that lots of people recognize to be good and are used a lot, are really good. Movesets like Defense Curl + Rollout... well, while that may seem cool, there are a number of flaws! Firstly, what happens if they switch to a Pokemon that has a 4x resist to Rock when you start using Rollout? You're trapped, and then they can set up Swords Dance with Lucario while you're stuck doing nothing or very little to them. Secondly, Emboar is better off doing other things than boosting its defense with Defense Curl or similar; its stat build strongly leans towards offense, meaning you should try to smash things off the bat with heavy-hitting moves instead of mess around with things like Defense Curl + Rollout.

Everything does have a use, but keeping in mind what I said up there, there are standard sets for everything too. The biggest problem between some Pokemon being called 'useless' is not that they're useless but rather 'outclassed'. There are other Pokemon that do what they do best, better. For example, a very notable example would be the Blaziken-Infernape situation of last gen. They're both very very similar, being built as mixed attackers with good dual-typing and similar movesets, but because Infernape was just fast enough to outpace a lot of things, it was used way more because its speed was just such a huge advantage over Blaziken. Does that make Blaziken bad? No, but it made Infernape better.

It's hard to just 'back up their weaknesses' with the rest of the team. Don't think type weaknesses - everything has those save Drapion with Air Balloon, Spiritomb, Eelektross and Sableye. You have to think in Pokemon vs Pokemon weaknesses. Consider this: Swords Dance Scizor usually uses Swords Dance/Bullet Punch/Bug Bite with either Superpower (or Brick Break) or Roost. Skarmory takes very little from any of those moves and blows away the boosts with Whirlwind. This means that Skarmory is a counter for Scizor; Scizor can't do anything to it! So if your goal is to have Scizor sweep, you'll need a way to kill Skarmory or else you'll risk losing every time you see one. Do you understand what I'm saying?

You want to use Pokemon to their full effectiveness! Remember, standard sets are standard because tons of people have used them and figured out what their best and most effective sets are. If you have any questions about what I said or anything beyond that, don't be afraid to ask; I'll definitely help you out. :3

pockets08
July 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM
You're right! They all do have a use. However, keep in mind that tons and tons of people have played competitively before you and more or less they've narrowed down some of the best ways to use each Pokemon. You can try to be innovative and come up with new ways, but to be completely fair a lot of the 'standard sets', the ones that lots of people recognize to be good and are used a lot, are really good. Movesets like Defense Curl + Rollout... well, while that may seem cool, there are a number of flaws! Firstly, what happens if they switch to a Pokemon that has a 4x resist to Rock when you start using Rollout? You're trapped, and then they can set up Swords Dance with Lucario while you're stuck doing nothing or very little to them. Secondly, Emboar is better off doing other things than boosting its defense with Defense Curl or similar; its stat build strongly leans towards offense, meaning you should try to smash things off the bat with heavy-hitting moves instead of mess around with things like Defense Curl + Rollout.

Everything does have a use, but keeping in mind what I said up there, there are standard sets for everything too. The biggest problem between some Pokemon being called 'useless' is not that they're useless but rather 'outclassed'. There are other Pokemon that do what they do best, better. For example, a very notable example would be the Blaziken-Infernape situation of last gen. They're both very very similar, being built as mixed attackers with good dual-typing and similar movesets, but because Infernape was just fast enough to outpace a lot of things, it was used way more because its speed was just such a huge advantage over Blaziken. Does that make Blaziken bad? No, but it made Infernape better.

It's hard to just 'back up their weaknesses' with the rest of the team. Don't think type weaknesses - everything has those save Drapion with Air Balloon, Spiritomb, Eelektross and Sableye. You have to think in Pokemon vs Pokemon weaknesses. Consider this: Swords Dance Scizor usually uses Swords Dance/Bullet Punch/Bug Bite with either Superpower (or Brick Break) or Roost. Skarmory takes very little from any of those moves and blows away the boosts with Whirlwind. This means that Skarmory is a counter for Scizor; Scizor can't do anything to it! So if your goal is to have Scizor sweep, you'll need a way to kill Skarmory or else you'll risk losing every time you see one. Do you understand what I'm saying?

You want to use Pokemon to their full effectiveness! Remember, standard sets are standard because tons of people have used them and figured out what their best and most effective sets are. If you have any questions about what I said or anything beyond that, don't be afraid to ask; I'll definitely help you out. :3

Awesome explanation! and now i DO have questions.

The fact that Scissors weak point would be skarmory, so ud want somethign to defend against, well, skarmory - makes sense.

But the "standards" - if i go by the standards, do u suggest simply..Using the standards, because everyone does? Or just as a Basis of Learning to understand what to look for in creating your own "Standard" - Because i hate the idea of pickign pokemon based on what everone else uses, because the chances of me running into somone with the same pokemon, become a little higher.

Ironiclly my favorite pokemon is Scyther. But i hate Scizzor, thus to use my favorite pokemon, I have no choice but to evolve him to use him competitivley.... This saddens me.. lol. but thats okay - I can cope wiht that end of it.

My real fear in all this is Hacked Pokemon...the chance of running into them because AR codes is pretty high, is it not? - also, by having a Hacked pokemon, does that in term take my entire game data, and harm it? I.E. a Hacked Tepig, mate with a Ditto - will i get a hacked up baby tepig?

and i noticed the tutor classes or whatever ont he forum, arent up. So - any links to help me begin to understand Raising pokemon based on using them competitivley, and a standards list so I can see what I shoudl try first.

I actually have to restart my POkemon Game (on accident) so - Im hoping to use Emboar in there somewhere. or another starter to use permanantley.

Anti
July 27th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I don't play on WiFi, but I'm pretty sure that people who use hacks don't harm YOUR game. Some people use *legal* hacks, which some people approve of while others don't. But yeah, hacks aren't something to really be worried about...at least I don't think so.

Vrai covered most of the important things but I want to add on some stuff. First of all, EV training (and also IV breeding/resetting) take awhile. You can test teams on our Pokemon Online Server (there's info on that in the announcement at the top of the CBC forum page) so that you know the team is good before setting out to make it. I definitely recommend that option.

Also, in terms of the whole standards versus favorites issue, that comes up from time to time. My view on it is that when you're new, you're best off using standards just so that you get used to how competitive works...it really is way different than in-game. Once you get the hang of it, you can be more adventurous with what Pokemon and movesets you use, at least to some degree.

Also, if your favorite Pokemon are bad in standard play, you can always try out the UU tier or even lower ones like NU and whatever that fake one they made up under UU but above NU is. The lower tiers at least give some of the less fortunate Pokemon (see: Dustox) a chance to compete. So there's always that.

Buuuut more than anything, it just takes practice. It's really not as hard as it seems at first. I definitely remember being in your position.

oh and

all of your terminology needs (http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary)

pockets08
July 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Okay - My first REAL thread based on what Im looking into.

The type of Play I think I would be most benefiting - is Eithier Offensive, or Stalling. But I have a question about stalling. :D

How many differnt hazards can be taken place on ONE single pokemon.

like..Can I confuse/Curse/Sandstorm/sandtomb/spike - and paralyze? :D all on one pokemon?

I don't play on WiFi, but I'm pretty sure that people who use hacks don't harm YOUR game. Some people use *legal* hacks, which some people approve of while others don't. But yeah, hacks aren't something to really be worried about...at least I don't think so.

Vrai covered most of the important things but I want to add on some stuff. First of all, EV training (and also IV breeding/resetting) take awhile. You can test teams on our Pokemon Online Server (there's info on that in the announcement at the top of the CBC forum page) so that you know the team is good before setting out to make it. I definitely recommend that option.

Also, in terms of the whole standards versus favorites issue, that comes up from time to time. My view on it is that when you're new, you're best off using standards just so that you get used to how competitive works...it really is way different than in-game. Once you get the hang of it, you can be more adventurous with what Pokemon and movesets you use, at least to some degree.

Also, if your favorite Pokemon are bad in standard play, you can always try out the UU tier or even lower ones like NU and whatever that fake one they made up under UU but above NU is. The lower tiers at least give some of the less fortunate Pokemon (see: Dustox) a chance to compete. So there's always that.

Buuuut more than anything, it just takes practice. It's really not as hard as it seems at first. I definitely remember being in your position.

oh and

and ty vm Anti :) that link helped a lot :D

Vrai
July 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM
In regards to terminology... this link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=255730) is also very very very useful and created by our very own Opposite Day. ;D

And like Anti said, standards are very good to learn with. You'll probably be using a lot of standards with your future teams as well - but with your own spices and changes. I know it seems wrong to use things that other people use a lot, but remember that standards are generally the best sets that each one can run, and if you try to use different things you run the risk of making it less effective! That's why you should practice with standards first; once you get the hang of how to battle with them, you can start experimenting and seeing what works and what doesn't. Remember that standards =/= seeing the same Pokemon over and over; everyone has 649 choices (well less because no one's going to use Caterpie etc) and other people can be innovative, too.

Coming up with new and effective sets is probably my favorite part of battling. You can use Pokemon as lures: draw in what counters its normal sets and do something to beat the standard set's counters. For example, standard Gliscor runs a very defensive set. It has little attack investment and usually runs Earthquake and Ice Fang as attacking moves, with Toxic Orb as its item and Poison Heal as the ability. It's very good, but it has a lot of trouble with Rotom-W (who picked up Water-typing from Gen V), who is very bulky, is immune to EQ, resists Ice Fang, and threatens huge damage with Hydro Pump. There is a Gliscor 'lure' set out there that's there to lure out and KO Rotom-W! It runs max offenses and Substitute + Sand Veil to try to force Hydro Pump to miss while it sets up Swords Dances, then it can OHKO with a Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics. It's an example of how people can be creative even when standard sets are expected.

Okay - My first REAL thread based on what Im looking into.

The type of Play I think I would be most benefiting - is Eithier Offensive, or Stalling. But I have a question about stalling. :D

How many differnt hazards can be taken place on ONE single pokemon.

like..Can I confuse/Curse/Sandstorm/sandtomb/spike - and paralyze? :D all on one pokemon?

and ty vm Anti :) that link helped a lot :D

You can't try to spread a Pokemon too thin. Sand Tomb is generally considered a 'meh' move; it's pitifully weak and the trapping effects aren't really very big. Sandstorm is auto-initiated with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Curse is also a niche move, mostly; it's used to catch things off-guard or on a Pokemon like Quagsire who can boost up Curses while the opponent's boosts are ignored thanks to its ability, Unaware. Spikes are limited to a few users because it's a fairly exclusive move. Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress are generally considered to be the best Spikers and they all have other niches too (Skarmory pseudo-hazes with Whirlwind, Ferrothorn spams Leech Seed, and Forretress has the option of setting up SR, T-Spikes, and has the capability to Rapid Spin too). Confusion isn't used a lot competitively because it's easy to switch out and get rid of it and it's luck-reliant; if at all possible, it's best to ensure that you'll get damage on them rather than spamming Confuse Ray and hoping that they hit themselves in Confusion. The biggest role Confusion plays is in the aftermath of Outrage. Paralysis is also a niche thing but it's very nice to slow down the opponent's team. The most common abusers of Paralysis are probably Thundurus (it's got priority Thunder Wave which is nice if something gets really too fast and hard to control), Ferrothorn (who can fit Thunder Wave into a moveslot if you want it), and Jirachi (who actually spams Body Slam to paralyze even Ground-types).

Basically, not only is it impossible for you to get all of that on one Pokemon, but even if it was I don't think it'd be very effective because you pass up on other things that you need to include on a Pokemon, like recovery with Roost or Pain Split etc.

jonin j
July 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
can anyonehelpme team build please new to vs

dreyko
July 28th, 2011, 12:34 PM
can anyonehelpme team build please new to vs

well we cant really build you a full team. however we can rate your current team it to make a RMT ( rate my team) thread. we can give you suggestions on move sets, EV's, items, natures and stuff like that.

there are many types of teams out there so you just have to find what style works for you. you can find ideas by checking out some of the RMT threads already posted in this forum.

Vrai
July 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
well we cant really build you a full team. however we can rate your current team it to make a RMT ( rate my team) thread. we can give you suggestions on move sets, EV's, items, natures and stuff like that.

there are many types of teams out there so you just have to find what style works for you. you can find ideas by checking out some of the RMT threads already posted in this forum.

Yup! Just what dreyko said.

If you post a team with members that you want to use, we can certainly rate it, but beyond that no one here is really going to go out of their way to make a team specifically for you, sadly. ;;

pockets08
July 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Alright, Im getting myself well known here for being useless - but another question.

If you have read earlier, I need to restart my game. And thus it has begun. My issue is, OF COURSE, i get a Tepig to start with, and OF COURSE, its Nature is in the Speed stat, AND so is it's CHaracteristics. Now - just to make a challenge, and to get through the Elite four, I plan on Solo challenging the Black/white with just Tepig. Now - to Do this, I want to raise Tepig Attack Stat...and to do that specifically, I kill a buncha Patrat/Lillipups - right?

now after killing, say 30 lillipups...How many attack points should that have given me? and do i need to level up first, to obtain those points - like as if im charging a battery, and onc ei level up its liek i plugged it in? (if that makes sense, in other words, i dont get the points till i level up)

or do they appear as I go along? wether I level or not? - i am not trying to create a Perfect pokemon, im just tryin to Practice EV training, at the begining of the game, to see if i can really see any results...im lvl 12 now, and done nothi but kill in route 1 on those danged rats and pups, and havent understood seeing results.

nevermind! I figured it all mostly out. :D

G-Virus
July 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Just need a thought on my Genesect's EV spread and movepool.

Genesect @Douse Drive
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 speed, 4 def
Moves: Techno Blast, Bug Buzz, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam.

I'm using douse drive to make TB's type water. With that I can hit any fire types that try to take him down. Bug buzz and flash cannon is for STAB, and Ice Beam is for hitting dragon types either on a switch or if I predict a fire move and TB won't do much.

That's my opinion, but could anyone give me any suggestions to make this better?

Perrie ✿
July 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Just need a thought on my Genesect's EV spread and movepool.

Genesect @Douse Drive
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 speed, 4 def
Moves: Techno Blast, Bug Buzz, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam.

I'm using douse drive to make TB's type water. With that I can hit any fire types that try to take him down. Bug buzz and flash cannon is for STAB, and Ice Beam is for hitting dragon types either on a switch or if I predict a fire move and TB won't do much.

That's my opinion, but could anyone give me any suggestions to make this better?

Genesect will usually be shunned on Wifi for being an un-released hacked event. >: But it's your call;

Genesect @Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Timid Nature
-Bug Buzz
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/U-Turn

Bug Buzz is Genesect's main STAB and will cause a ton of damage coming of a base 120 SpA. Flamethrower hits Ice, Bugs and Steel types whilst Ice Beam destroys Flying, Ground and Dragon types. Thunderbolt hits Water types. U-Turn however can be used over Thunderbolt for a scouting move. Despite it's attack being lowered by it's nature, U-Turn will hit surprisingly hard. Since it's a choice set U-Turn is a good move to have since it can keep the momentum going, especially if you're using a heavily offensive team.

Enjoy. <:

archeops14
July 29th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hey, can I please have a Dragonite moveset? I need it to have no breeding moves and have the ability Inner Focus.

dreyko
July 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
for dragonite a rain abuser set can be very effective for combating rain teams.

heres the set:

dragonite @ leftovers
inner focus/ multi scale
timid
4 HP 252 Sp. attack 252 speed

hurricane
surf
draco meteor
roost

for this set marvel scale is highly preferred but if you dont have it its ok.
hurricane gets STAB and 100% accuracy in the rain. surf gets its power boosted thanks to rain and draco meteor is another strong STAB move. roost is for recovery when needed and also to bring multi scale into effect if you choose that ability.

the EV spread is pretty general and timid nature to help dragonites speed stat. roost in conjunction with leftoves help nite recover lost HP.

hope this helps =)

pockets08
July 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Awesome question -

in a Infrared battle with a friend, will EV trained pokemon stats still be higherthan non trained, even though they take the pokemon and force it to be level 50 no matter what? (IE, will a lvl 100 pokemon, have lvl 50 stats + ev total? or shrunk? idk how it works.)

.Aero
July 30th, 2011, 10:07 PM
You won't receive the full potential of the EVs you trained, but you will experience a great stat than if you hadn't trained. I'm sure it's worth it, although it's smaller than the boost for level 100 pokemon.

pockets08
July 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM
appreciate the usual fast response - I like to do infrared battles, because anyone can join with any pokemon at any level, and be equal to a point. THanks for your help!

greg0915
July 31st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Hey, I'm in need of help on my EV spread on my Kyogre :)

It took me 3 days of soft resetting to get this one so i definatly wasnt gonna try for a flawless one.

Kyogre
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Thunder
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Surf/ Scald/ Water Spout
IVs: 11/8/18/30/22/30

4 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Sp.Def

or

252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 Spd

dreyko
July 31st, 2011, 12:50 PM
if its juts the Ev spread you need help with then a good spread for what your trying got do is: 4 HP 252 Sp.attack 252 Speed

since kyogre already has a massive base 140 sp. def and you will boost up with calm mind even more you might want to focus on its speed and sp. attack. a good item would be leftovers to regain some health. =)

my suggestion for the final move slot would either be surf or scald depending on what you need accomplished. surf hits very hard in the rain. scald does too with the added effect of a possible burn so its just preference there.

anyways i hope this helps!!! 8D

greg0915
August 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Alright I have 1 last question :)

How on earth do I use Shuckle? I know it has CRAZY high defences and CRAZY low speed but what use I'd that apart from a spin blocker

I am creating a Trick Room team so naturally Shuckle stands out but I can't really think of how to utilise it's skills :(

Dark Azelf
August 1st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Alright I have 1 last question :)

How on earth do I use Shuckle? I know it has CRAZY high defences and CRAZY low speed but what use I'd that apart from a spin blocker

I am creating a Trick Room team so naturally Shuckle stands out but I can't really think of how to utilise it's skills :(

Shuckle isnt really usable in OU, it has too many weaknesses, is weak to Steath Rock and its primary role is a wall and now Rest has been nerfed its even harder to use.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock / Wrap / Protect

Use in the Sand with Heal Bell/Aroma support to rid yourself of Rest. Preferably Rapid Spin too.

Toxic stuff, Encore set up moves and Knock Off items or attempt to "stall" or support the team with utility options.

If you want a good rock type for trick room, Shuckle is not the Pokemon for you. Rhyperior and basically every other slow rock type outclass it at that role.

flamehaze94
August 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM
Shuckle needs a lot of support to work and even then, it's damage output is disappointing since Trick Room doesn't last forever. The best way to utilize Shuckle imo is not to use it, since more often than not, you'll wish you had something else like Machamp or Reuniclus in Trick Room.

Also, about those Kyogre EVs. If you want to use Calm Mind, then you'll want to use 252HP / 252SpA / 4Spe EVs. Why? The HP EVs help you set up in front of Palkia and Dialga, two common checks to Kyogre. Since most Ubers are stuck with 90 base speed, most don't max it out unless they are Scarfed/Speced and/or Reshiram. The extra bulk is also useful when taking on non-LO Ho-oh and Reshiram Blue Flares. You actually may want to speed creep a little since your speed IVs are pretty good. Modest is the ideal nature; if it's anything else like Timid or Bold then you may want to try a different Kyogre set. Surf is also the best move in the last slot. Water Spout is much too risky on a bulky set up sweeper CM Kyogre and Scald is decidedly pretty weak.

greg0915
August 2nd, 2011, 03:57 AM
Shuckle needs a lot of support to work and even then, it's damage output is disappointing since Trick Room doesn't last forever. The best way to utilize Shuckle imo is not to use it, since more often than not, you'll wish you had something else like Machamp or Reuniclus in Trick Room.

Also, about those Kyogre EVs. If you want to use Calm Mind, then you'll want to use 252HP / 252SpA / 4Spe EVs. Why? The HP EVs help you set up in front of Palkia and Dialga, two common checks to Kyogre. Since most Ubers are stuck with 90 base speed, most don't max it out unless they are Scarfed/Speced and/or Reshiram. The extra bulk is also useful when taking on non-LO Ho-oh and Reshiram Blue Flares. You actually may want to speed creep a little since your speed IVs are pretty good. Modest is the ideal nature; if it's anything else like Timid or Bold then you may want to try a different Kyogre set. Surf is also the best move in the last slot. Water Spout is much too risky on a bulky set up sweeper CM Kyogre and Scald is decidedly pretty weak.

Thanks i see your point about Shuckle i will probably go for a Gigalith or Lickilicky instead :)

and you make a good point about Kyogre plus i already gave it 10 HPUPs and 10 Calcium :)

RAcastBlaster
August 2nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
It's been quite awhile since I've posted here, so I forget where the appropriate place to ask this is (though I expect this is the place). I'm in need of some IV-checking matches. And don't suggest the battle subway, I have wayyyy too many solosis for that to be worth the time and effort. Besides, Species Clause.

Perrie ✿
August 2nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
I'm pretty sure you ask in the Quick battle thread.

Haowakeorden
August 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Suppose I have a Togekiss with the Serene Grace ability and the move Air Slash. Would attaching King's Rock increase Air Slash's flinch rate on top of the Serene Grace boost?

Norwegian Moose
August 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
I need help with EV Spread... Okay, so I have an Adamant Snorlax. I want it to be an offensive Snorlax. How should I spread the EV's? PM me please! C:

Dark Azelf
August 2nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Suppose I have a Togekiss with the Serene Grace ability and the move Air Slash. Would attaching King's Rock increase Air Slash's flinch rate on top of the Serene Grace boost?

No, sadly it doesnt.

I need help with EV Spread... Okay, so I have an Adamant Snorlax. I want it to be an offensive Snorlax. How should I spread the EV's? PM me please! C:

No need to PM lol. 252 Atk / 252 Special Defense / 6 Defense. This optimises your attack and special defense which lets you take special hits well and helps you switch into special attackers with ease and punish them. It also is of more benefit to ev Snorlax's special defense than any other stat, even HP as you gain MORE special durability from EVing its special defence rather than its HP as its HP is already massive.

kingofbluesteel
August 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
does the move acrobatic get a boost from technician if they arent holding an item? not sure which number counts for technican before the no item boost or after

Norwegian Moose
August 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
No need to PM lol. 252 Atk / 252 Special Defense / 6 Defense. This optimises your attack and special defense which lets you take special hits well and helps you switch into special attackers with ease and punish them. It also is of more benefit to ev Snorlax's special defense than any other stat, even HP as you gain MORE special durability from EVing its special defence rather than its HP as its HP is already massive.

Thanks! C:

Another question then, since people here's helpfull: I have a Shiny Timid Espeon with Magic Bounce... What should I use it for? I kinda want it as a special sweeper, but I know there are better ways to use it. Help?

PikachuGuy
August 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Ok, I need some freakin' help. I'm (trying) to fully EV train an Adamant Dragonite in Attack and Speed. Question: I have 3 of them that I EV'd and the 1st one has more attack than the others, and I defeated the same amount of Poke's to get it.

Here's their stats: Same nature, same EV's.

1st 'Nite: Just evolved, Level 55
HP: 178
Attack: 215
Defense: 122
SP: Attack: 106
SP: Defense: 132
Speed: 137

Now these 2 BOTH have lower attack, despite doing the EXACT same thing with the 1st one:

2nd 'Nite
HP: 180
Attack: 212
Defense: 126
SP: Attack: 117
SP: Defense: 123
Speed: 143

3rd 'Nite
Defense: 114
SP: Attack: 112
SP: Defense: 117
Speed: 146

I EV'd all three of these by using the Power Bracer and killing 32 Goldeen, and then Power Anklet and killing 32 Magikarp. I just can't figure out what the crapp I am doing wrong, but it's really frustrating. Which Dragonite should I raise? The one with the highest attack? Because I am trying to truly max out its attack at Level 100, which is 403. And I predict it that I probably won't reach 403. Just how do you know? And as I said, all of these are Adamant nature.

RAcastBlaster
August 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm pretty sure you ask in the Quick battle thread.

Ah crap, where's that at? x.x;

I apologize if I'm being blind about this.

Edit: found it, my bad... how long has it been under the tourney sub-forum? xD No wonder I couldn't find it.

.Aero
August 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ah crap, where's that at? x.x;

I apologize if I'm being blind about this.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=246217

Right there ^

:3 I remember you sir CastBlaster. To catch you up real quick, S&M is now known as "Competitive Battling Center", or CBC, and the Battle Stadium got merged into it, and it now called Tournaments and Events. :]

Bananani
August 4th, 2011, 04:01 AM
What is the main difference between putting EV´s in (special) defence or in HP.
252/126/130 vs 4/252/252 vs 174/170/170?

Perrie ✿
August 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM
What is the main difference between putting EV´s in (special) defence or in HP.
252/126/130 vs 4/252/252 vs 174/170/170?

Putting Evs into Special Defense will increase the resistance it has against Special Attacks.

Putting them into Hp will increase the survive-ability of a Pokemon. So that it can take hits better from both sides. And it can create more Subs and pass better Wishes (If it learns Wish)

Ill let someone else add to this. x-x

greg0915
August 4th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Ok, I need some freakin' help. I'm (trying) to fully EV train an Adamant Dragonite in Attack and Speed. Question: I have 3 of them that I EV'd and the 1st one has more attack than the others, and I defeated the same amount of Poke's to get it.

Here's their stats: Same nature, same EV's.

1st 'Nite: Just evolved, Level 55
Attack: 215
Defense: 122
SP: Attack: 106
SP: Defense: 132
Speed: 137

Now these 2 BOTH have lower attack, despite doing the EXACT same thing with the 1st one:

2nd 'Nite
HP: 180
Defense: 126
SP: Attack: 117
SP: Defense: 123
Speed: 143

3rd 'Nite
Defense: 114
SP: Attack: 112
SP: Defense: 117
Speed: 146

I EV'd all three of these by using the Power Bracer and killing 32 Goldeen, and then Power Anklet and killing 32 Magikarp. I just can't figure out what the crapp I am doing wrong, but it's really frustrating. Which Dragonite should I raise? The one with the highest attack? Because I am trying to truly max out its attack at Level 100, which is 403. And I predict it that I probably won't reach 403. Just how do you know? And as I said, all of these are Adamant nature.

the reason their stats are different is their IVs are different.

IVs are hidden values (like EVs are) for each stat that have a max. of 31 and min. of 0. Pokemon with higher IVs will have higher stats, for example
a Lv.100 Dragonite with 31 IVs in all it's stats will have 31 more in each stat than a Dragonite with 0 IVs in all it's stats :)

Dark Azelf
August 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks! C:

Another question then, since people here's helpfull: I have a Shiny Timid Espeon with Magic Bounce... What should I use it for? I kinda want it as a special sweeper, but I know there are better ways to use it. Help?

Espeon @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Hp / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Baton Pass / Hidden Power [Fire/Fighting]

Dual Screen Espeon is probably its best set, it cant be Taunted and you can then pass both screens to a sweeper with Baton Pass.

Espeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Hp / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Substitute / Reflect
- Baton Pass
- Psychic / Psyshock

Calm Mind passing Espeon. Best one in the game imo as it cant be PHazed or Taunted.

Espeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting/Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Sub attacking Espeon. HP Fight for Tar and Heatran, HP Fire for Scizor, Ferro, Skarm and Forry.

Espeon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
- Calm Mind / Grass Knot
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire/Fighting]
- Shadow Ball

Calm Mind Espeon.

dreyko
August 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM
hey what are the best set(s) for celebi to use? i was thinking of using it on my rain team. is this a good idea or are there better pokemon to utilize on a rain team?

G-Virus
August 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
^ Eh, I've never used Celebi, but if you're using a rain team then you definitely have to compose it of pokemon that either abuse the weather with status boosts (i.e Swift Swim) or have moves that can work well in rain (water moves obviously, and Thunder).

dreyko
August 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM
^ Eh, I've never used Celebi, but if you're using a rain team then you definitely have to compose it of pokemon that either abuse the weather with status boosts (i.e Swift Swim) or have moves that can work well in rain (water moves obviously, and Thunder).

well the thing i have to take into consideration is that drizzle + swift swim is banned so i cant use that. i was thinking of using celebi in a way that helps/ supplements my rain abusers ( toxicroak & Nite),
but thanks for the quick reply =)

Dark Azelf
August 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
well the thing i have to take into consideration is that drizzle + swift swim is banned so i cant use that. i was thinking of using celebi in a way that helps/ supplements my rain abusers ( toxicroak & Nite),
but thanks for the quick reply =)

Probably Nasty Plot Celebi to be honest.

Celebi @ Leftovers
252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice] /Psychic

Sucks you cant use HP Fire in rain, so something to beat/remove Scizor, Ferrothorn and the like would be cool. *Looks at Magnezone* :] lol

Or you could shove Baton Pass in the last slot and be cool and pass Nasty Plot to Agility Dragonite which sounds kinda fun actually lol.

dreyko
August 4th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Probably Nasty Plot Celebi to be honest.

Celebi @ Leftovers
252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice] /Psychic

Sucks you cant use HP Fire in rain, so something to beat/remove Scizor, Ferrothorn and the like would be cool. *Looks at Magnezone* :] lol

Or you could shove Baton Pass in the last slot and be cool and pass Nasty Plot to Agility Dragonite which sounds kinda fun actually lol.

thanks!! i have a toxicroak to help counter ferrothorn. i guess zone could help to also counter scizor but since HP fire is weakened in the rain scizor most likely will live and then hit back with superpower/ brick break which hurts zone.

i was thinking of using rotom-w as a scizor counter because it can burn it, and then switch out with volt switch if its not specs/scarf.

instead of me rambling so much the point is i need help with a scizor counter. any advice?

greg0915
August 5th, 2011, 02:19 AM
A Floatzel would be a good addition:

Ability: Swift Swin
Item: Life Orb
Move 1: Ice Punch
Move 2: Waterfall
Move 3: Crunch
Move 4: Brick Break/ Aqua Jet
Nature: Adamant/ Jolly
EVs: 4 HP, 252Atk, 252 Spd

Perrie ✿
August 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
A Floatzel would be a good addition:

Ability: Swift Swin
Item: Life Orb
Move 1: Ice Punch
Move 2: Waterfall
Move 3: Crunch
Move 4: Brick Break/ Aqua Jet
Nature: Adamant/ Jolly
EVs: 4 HP, 252Atk, 252 Spd

Floatzel is terribly frail and wouldn't last long in an OU Drizzle team. It would be down within minutes. Swift Swim is also banned when coupled with Drizzle.

Calamity
August 5th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Anybody know of any good Ev spreads/movesets for a Poison Heal Gliscor? Probably more defensive aswell. Thanks. :)

PlatinumDude
August 5th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Anybody know of any good Ev spreads/movesets for a Poison Heal Gliscor? Probably more defensive aswell. Thanks. :)

A good defensive Gliscor set would be this:
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Protect
-Ice Fang/Facade
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

or

-Earthquake
-Substitute
-Protect
-Taunt/Ice Fang/Toxic
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

Dark Azelf
August 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
thanks!! i have a toxicroak to help counter ferrothorn. i guess zone could help to also counter scizor but since HP fire is weakened in the rain scizor most likely will live and then hit back with superpower/ brick break which hurts zone.

i was thinking of using rotom-w as a scizor counter because it can burn it, and then switch out with volt switch if its not specs/scarf.

instead of me rambling so much the point is i need help with a scizor counter. any advice?

If you're using Rain good Scizor counters/checks are Rotom-W and Gyarados and also just hitting it hard with stuff like Specs/Scarf Rotom Politoed. Magnezone works too but you cant use HP Fire. Prolly just better just using like Specs Thunder or something with that lol

Ramos123
August 6th, 2011, 08:43 AM
For whatever reason my RNG reporter has not been working as it has been intended to for Black and White, and I was wondering if some of you more experienced trainers could help diagnose the issue. I have left some screenshots in an album titled "tstedpuppy help" on my profile, please try to check it out and PM me with your conclusions. Also feel free to request more screenshots that would further assist you.

Thank you!

pockets08
August 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM
ALrighty, i need some team advice/help. Heres what im lookin at so far.

Ferrothorn: DEF/SPDEF(or atk); Rocky Helmet.
Ingrain
Leech seed
Gyo ball
Toxic/Power ship
Nature: +def -sp

Cofagrigus: DEF/HP (item?)
Mean look
Curse
Destiny bond
Trick room
Nature: +def/-?

Zoruark: ?/?
Roar
?
?
?
?

I want some control, I wanna use roar or dragontail to control my opponents current PKM, then lash out COfagrigus with a Mean look, or if i can find a pokemon who knows ML and Roar thatd be awesome. - this is strictly a Unova region team FYI. no national pokemon. Ferrothorn is for sweeper taking, long but i wanna give the combo of RH, Iron Barbs, Leech seed and Ingrain a look into.

Exile
August 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
ALrighty, i need some team advice/help. Heres what im lookin at so far.

[B]Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP/48 Def/208 SpDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def -Speed)
Power Whip
Leech seed
Gyro ball
Spikes/Thunder Wave

Spikes are recommended if you're using a defensively oriented team, if not, then use Thunder Wave to cripple switch-ins. There's no need for Ingrain since Leech Seed outclasses it.

Cofagrgius @ Leftovers
252 HP/152 Def/104 SpDef
Bold Nature (+Def -Atk)
Rest
Hex/Shadow Ball
Will O Wisp
Haze

Zoroark @ Life Orb
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Timid Nature (+Speed -Atk)
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast

I want some control, I wanna use roar or dragontail to control my opponents current PKM, then lash out COfagrigus with a Mean look, or if i can find a pokemon who knows ML and Roar thatd be awesome. - this is strictly a Unova region team FYI. no national pokemon. Ferrothorn is for sweeper taking, long but i wanna give the combo of RH, Iron Barbs, Leech seed and Ingrain a look into.

I hope this helps. Zoroark is best used as a Nasty Plot sweeper, Cofagrigus as a Physical Wall, and Nattorei as a wall/spike layer, while Rocky helmet helps a lot, Leftovers is needed for recovery.

pockets08
August 6th, 2011, 11:03 PM
thats why i put ingrain, to get back some HP loss from not having leftovers.

plus ferrothorn is a physical ability, that stacks to rocky helmet. thats why i was using him as physical defense..i see what your saying, btu im still gonan try my method attempts. gotta learn somehow!

PlatinumDude
August 6th, 2011, 11:51 PM
thats why i put ingrain, to get back some HP loss from not having leftovers.

plus ferrothorn is a physical ability, that stacks to rocky helmet. thats why i was using him as physical defense..i see what your saying, btu im still gonan try my method attempts. gotta learn somehow!
The reason why most Ferrothorn use Leech Seed as opposed to Ingrain is because if you use Ingrain, Ferrothorn will be unable to switch, causing it to be revenge killed by Fire and Fighting Pokemon. Also, there's also a possibility of regaining a larger percentage of HP if you use Leech Seed, like if you use Leech Seed on Blissey or Wailord.

Calamity
August 7th, 2011, 01:32 PM
What pokemon would I have to defeat and how many to get this Ev spread; 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe. Thanks. :)

vPHOTONv
August 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
4th gen OU gengar

Timid@focus sash/life orb
EV 6Hp 252 Sp.A 252 Spe

Moveset ATM

Thunderbolt
Energry Ball
HP Fire
Shadow Ball

Not sure what to do. I like the moveset but I feel it won't work. Energy ball to hit swamperts, HP fire for Scizors who likes to eat gengar. Shadow Ball for stab. Tbolt for a filler.

Or should I go with
HP fire
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Energy Ball/Tbolt

Side notes, my team lacks a away to nail swampert, except my zapdos, running HP grass.
Focus Blast hits about 5% of the time for me.

smurf
August 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
ok guys need some help i need moves for druddigon and leavanny thanks guys

pockets08
August 8th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Mkay..

Accelgor Speed/hp
Timid
Leftovers

-Recover
-Spikes
-Substitute
-U turn

Darmanitan - ATK/HP
Brave
?

- Belly Drum
- Substitute/rest
- flare blitz
- Will - o wisp/?

Cofagrigus - DEF/?
?
?

- Trick room
- Curse
- Mean look
- Protect

Alli
August 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Anyone know a good moveset for a Modest Own Tempo Lilligant? Thanks in advance. :]

.Aero
August 9th, 2011, 07:20 PM
What pokemon would I have to defeat and how many to get this Ev spread; 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe. Thanks. :)

252 HP - Face 252 Ducklett on Driftveil Bridge, or 126 Palpitoad in Icirrus City.
184 Def - 184 Roggenrolla in Wellspring Cave
72 Spe - 72 Woobat in Wellspring Cave

4th gen OU gengar

Timid@focus sash/life orb
EV 6Hp 252 Sp.A 252 Spe

Moveset ATM

Thunderbolt
Energry Ball
HP Fire
Shadow Ball

Not sure what to do. I like the moveset but I feel it won't work. Energy ball to hit swamperts, HP fire for Scizors who likes to eat gengar. Shadow Ball for stab. Tbolt for a filler.

Or should I go with
HP fire
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Energy Ball/Tbolt

Side notes, my team lacks a away to nail swampert, except my zapdos, running HP grass.
Focus Blast hits about 5% of the time for me.

Gengar isn't very good for taking down Scizor, as he'll generally die in one hit to Bullet Punch. I understand Focus Miss never hits, but without it, your coverage is hindered pretty severely. If you don't want to use it, place t-bolt/HP fire over if, but you're hurting yourself in the process. Here's my suggested set:

- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire / Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

ok guys need some help i need moves for druddigon and leavanny thanks guys

Druddigon@Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Crunch / Sucker Punch

Sucker Punch lets you alleviate his terribad speed somewhat, the rest is STAB and coverage.

Leavanny@Focus Sash / Life Orb
Jolly Nature [+Spe; -SpA]
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Return / Shadow Claw
- Protect

Best suited for a sun sweeper.

Mkay..

Accelgor@Focus Sash
Hasty Nature [+Spe; -Def]
Ability: Sticky Hold
-Focus Blast / Yawn
-Spikes
-Bug Buzz
-U turn

Darmanitan@Choice Band
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn / Superpower

Excellent in the sun. Flare Blitz can 2HKO Gyarados after intimidation. That's really amazing. o.o

Cofagrigus@Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Def; -Atk]
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
- Rest
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Anyone know a good moveset for a Modest Own Tempo Lilligant? Thanks in advance. :]

Lilligant@Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Rock]

It would probably just be the same set, minus Chlorophyll abuse. You can still Quiver Dance up after a sleep powder to get higher speed. ;]

Exile
August 9th, 2011, 07:26 PM

Alternatively, you could run Petal Dance over Giga Drain on the set Aero gave you, since it's more powerful and the after effects aren't felt by Lilligant, since it has Own Tempo.

.Aero
August 9th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Alternatively, you could run Petal Dance over Giga Drain on the set Aero gave you, since it's more powerful and the after effects aren't felt by Lilligant, since it has Own Tempo.

Totally overlooked that fact. >.< Yeah, use Petal Dance if you don't mind losing a bit of durability, or don't mind being locked into a move.

YesMyGengar
August 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah, what are the fastest, highest att, highest sp. att, highest def, highest sp. def, and highest speed.
I'm trying to put together a team, but try to not include Legendaries, please.

Oryx
August 10th, 2011, 04:24 PM
HP: Alomomola, 165
Att: Conkeldurr/Excadrill/Darmanitan(normal form), 140, or Zekrom, 150 (legendary)
Def: Cofagrigus, 145
Sp. Att: Chandelure, 145 or Reshiram, 150 (legendary)
Sp. Def: Cryogonal, 135
Speed: Zebstrika/Whimsicott, 116 or Meloetta, 128 (Pirouette form, legendary and not released yet)

I wouldn't recommend making a team out of this tbh, but if that's what you want to do good luck! I included the legendary as well only if there was a legendary with a higher stat, in case you feel the need to use one.

YesMyGengar
August 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
HP: Alomomola, 165
Att: Conkeldurr/Excadrill/Darmanitan(normal form), 140, or Zekrom, 150 (legendary)
Def: Cofagrigus, 145
Sp. Att: Chandelure, 145 or Reshiram, 150 (legendary)
Sp. Def: Cryogonal, 135
Speed: Zebstrika/Whimsicott, 116 or Meloetta, 128 (Pirouette form, legendary and not released yet)

I wouldn't recommend making a team out of this tbh, but if that's what you want to do good luck! I included the legendary as well only if there was a legendary with a higher stat, in case you feel the need to use one.

Why not?
Anyways, I'm not making only ONE team, I'm assembling various teams, with different tactics.

Oryx
August 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Why not?
Anyways, I'm not making only ONE team, I'm assembling various teams, with different tactics.

If they're all different teams then that's different, lol. Competitively I don't think Pokemon like Zebstrika are used though, that's why I mentioned that. xD Anyway, that's just my opinion, don't let it stop you if that's what you wanna do :3

PlatinumDude
August 11th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I agree with Toujours. If you want to use a hyper offense team, use Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Excadrill, Chandelure annd Hydreigon. If you're using a stall/balanced team, use Pokemon like Whimsicott, Ferrothorn and Jellicent. High stats in one area aren't everything.

Arachnobyte
August 11th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Sorry if this has already been asked, but do Rotom Forms work on Wifi on Pokemon B/W now?

Aeonz361
August 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM
How would I breed a Ralts with egg move Shadow sneak?

.Aero
August 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
How would I breed a Ralts with egg move Shadow sneak?

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/egg/280.shtml#shadowsneak

You can get it from one of the "Level up" pokemon (such as Shuppet) and have it learn the move, then breed with a female Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir and it should appear on your Ralts. :]

greg0915
August 12th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone ^_^ I just acuired a shiny flwaless Impish Duskull and i need help on an Eviolite sey for Dusklops (maybe to work in a Trick Room team also)

.Aero
August 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
name: Defensive
move 1: Pain Split
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Night Shade
move 4: Ice Beam / Taunt
nature: Calm
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

Too lazy to try and format it myself. D; So I jut copy/pasted. xD Hope you don't mind! Dusclops with Eviolite is nice to be honest. More bulky than what's his face evolution mon that I can't remember, except the only issue is losing Lefties recovery (which isn't all bad, because it allows you to extend the use of Pain Split).

Vrai
August 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
If you're looking for it to run Trick Room as well that would go in the last slot. The other three moves are too essential for it to pass up, really.