PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Are thread ratings really doing a service in Creative Discussions?

seeker
June 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Or at all for that matter?

Anyway, my beef is with the fact that we have thread ratings in creative discussions. Personally, I have seen them severely abused, and I know this because my own threads have been targeted by by blatant and unfair lowering in ratings.

So as I seen this going on, I said to myself "Hey, what does this remind me of? Oh yeah, reputation."

I think that thread ratings in Creative Discussions is a really bad idea. Reason being is that everything in there is a form of artwork, more so than the other categories. I am an artist myself, and the last thing I want is a star rating on my work. It's really degrading, and it does not encourage people to actually post. I know from experience that people have rated threads 1 star, and not bothered to comment and say why.

You could say that yeah, I should just ignore them, but they're seriously not being used properly in certain sections in Creative Discussions. I visit all the Art Gallery sections, and I am a frequent poster in Game Development, and I've always disliked thread ratings.

Non-tldr version = I don't think we should have thread ratings in Creative Discussions (or at all), as they are abused and are a lot like reputation. They don't encourage proper criticism in Creative Discussions either.

Thoughts?

Owl
June 10th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I agree, I mean I don't see a point with having them. I've seen/heard of people go on low rating sprees just for the heck of it. We don't need them, they don't mean anything. It just makes the owner of the thread feel like s/he did a crappy job making the thread, when it could just be some random person rating it low for no reason. So why have them?

Oryx
June 10th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I don't even look at ratings, because I figured they didn't mean anything. I would be happy if they were taken away, that way people that would normally just rate and leave might comment instead and say "I like/dislike this because..."

Vrai
June 10th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Taking this from a little different aspect, they are used mostly pretty decently in CBC/S&M. They're there more for I guess differentiating the average teams from the fantastic ones and I guess it's the fact that we lack the whole "hate on other people for their teams" sort of thing that apparently goes on in Creative Discussions/etc. I mean ratings sound nice in general to differentiate the good threads from the really good ones (and I guess the bad ones too ;;) but if they're being abused then we prolly shouldn't have them - is it possible to prevent ratings in one area and not another?

Dixie Kong
June 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I agree. Threads aren't movies, no need for star ratings. Plus constructive criticism is what you want in Creative Discussions, not an anonymous star rating.

seeker
June 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah Vrai, I didn't really want to speak for all areas, due to reasons like you mentioned. But they're not very well used in Creative Discussions, and it's easily changed yes.

And I'm pretty much completely with what Syd said there.

BlooMilk C.
June 10th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I think that your proposition may be correct. I think that all art expresses a person, and people are different. Some people may not like the way that other people express themselves, or they may not like a certain factor, so they are biased and rate the thread incorrectly based on emotions. Though this is not acceptable, it happens, and some people are bothered by it.

I was also around PC long enough to remember when we had reputation, and it was essentially the same thing. People didn't like people's posts, and staff had to constantly deal with people "unfairly" giving other people bad reputation. It was a total mess, and features were taken away from it until it was removed. Though I didn't think this should be removed, maybe there could be an option to approve of thread ratings, or maybe turn them on or off for certain threads.

Vrai
June 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Though I didn't think this should be removed, maybe there could be an option to approve of thread ratings, or maybe turn them on or off for certain threads.

Having an option to disable them for your thread when you post it would be a fantastic idea, similar to disabling smilies in posts etc. That way threads that don't want/need the ratings don't have to have them and the others don't have to be forced into not having them. Hopefully it'd be possible/plausible.

seeker
June 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I would agree with that too, I'd love to have the option to disable ratings in my threads. But I don't know if there should be the option in some cases, such as in art threads.

At any rate, if it's possible then great, but if not, I'm still voting on them being disabled in CD.

BlooMilk C.
June 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I would agree with that too, I'd love to have the option to disable ratings in my threads. But I don't know if there should be the option in some cases, such as in art threads.

At any rate, if it's possible then great, but if not, I'm still voting on them being disabled in CD.

I agree, if this feature is impossible, I would think that that thread ratings in Creative Discussions would be deleted as a whole, because they probably do more harm than good in this case.

Kenshin5
June 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I personally don't see much of an point for rates forum wide. Most of the times when I look at them it is one rating and I am sure the user themself gave it a 5 so they want to make them self look good. Then there is probably the fact some people rate somebody thread low out of spite for that person. If there was an option to disable, or keep it to a forum that it would actually be utilized for beneficial purposes then I would be for that.

Otter Mii-kun
June 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I don't even see why we even need thread ratings anywhere on PC at all. IMO, they don't contribute much to anything at all. As it's been said here already, it's subject to great abuse, just as reputation was.

King Goodra
June 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I would much prefer thread ratings to be removed completely.

seeker
June 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
They're an outdated and useless feature that vB never really updated or ever planned to anyway.

Astinus
June 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a way to turn off thread ratings for a particular forum section, rather than for the whole of a forum. The reason why I'm sure of this is because bobandbill and I asked for thread ratings to be removed from Fanfiction and Writing. As far as I can tell, they are gone.

Since thread ratings work in some sections and don't in others, one solution would be to turn off thread ratings in at least the Creative Discussions forums, where they're the most...useless, I'll say. Especially in the Art Gallery, along with FF&W (which already had them removed). Because yes, thread ratings can be used as shortcuts for pointing out which threads have "good" content and "bad" content, when it would be better for the posters of those threads to get actual comments on their posts.

So yes, I agree with this proposal.

hashtag
June 16th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I hate them, they're just abused.

Interesting note: I just asked for them to be removed in Emulation and they were, I think it should be the same all over.

Miss Doronjo
June 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM
/jumping on the bandwagon to agree with this proposal

I just don't see how thread star ratings equal the quality of the thread in question.

For instance, if someone claims that they worked hard putting together a "certain something" in one thread, hypothetically, someone may just suddenly "one star it" for their own personal opinion / reasons, and well, just because its rated one star, doesn't mean its qualified to be, "one star". That's just in their own opinion. [if how I worded it make sense. D;]

So, yeah, again? I agree with the proposal to remove them. n___n

Pokemon Trainer Touko
June 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I think it should be completely removed, since nobody really cares about them..

LightOfTruth
June 16th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I say they should be removed to stop people being lazy :)

Kenshin5
June 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't spammed like somebody did in the Pokemon Anime section with all the active topics. Thread ratings don't do justice to any topic imo.

Sterling
June 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I don't even pay attention to thread ratings. I don't use them. They should be taken off completely. I don't think I've seen someone abusing the feature as far as I know of.

Xyrin
June 16th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I don't even pay attention to thread ratings. I don't use them. They should be taken off completely. I don't think I've seen someone abusing the feature as far as I know of.

Go look in Pokemon Anime... Yeah...

I really want them to be removed. This has my stamp of approval.

Spherical Ice
June 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Perhaps, if you don't want them completely removed, they could be options set to off.

So, like, "Turn on thread ratings?", which is unticked unless specified?

Cykes
June 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm all for this. Thread ratings get a little ridiculous. An option to have the choice of turning them off, or showing who rated it what or something would make it immensely better.

Kenshin5
June 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I doubt they would want to show who rated it as like post comments it would probably spark arguments . I am completely content with the option of the topic creator turning it off. Cause there are incredibly fine topics getting horrible ratings for who knows what reason or the topic creator wants to make their topic look great so they give themselves 5 stars when in actuality the topic is sub par.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
June 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
people that would normally just rate and leave might comment instead and say "I like/dislike this because..."

Problem being I think the latter might be considered off-topic, since the thread is about a discussion, not about what people think of a discussion. I like being able to give /some/ feedback towards threads, the concept of which seems extraordinarily bad or good, without having to go off-topic and or risk derailing the thread.

How else am I supposed to express my disgust with debate topics that are circular in nature? ;o

Oryx
June 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Problem being I think the latter might be considered off-topic, since the thread is about a discussion, not about what people think of a discussion. I like being able to give /some/ feedback towards threads, the concept of which seems extraordinarily bad or good, without having to go off-topic and or risk derailing the thread.

How else am I supposed to express my disgust with debate topics that are circular in nature? ;o

Well this is related to Creative Discussions, which is in general used for galleries, not for debates.

seeker
June 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM
So have we got any official feedback on this from the upper staff or is it still in discussion?