PDA

View Full Version : CBC's Tutoring Corner

wolf
June 11th, 2011, 10:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/6hIx1.png

Welcome! The Tutoring Corner is here for new battlers who are intimidated by competitive battling, want to improve their skills, interested in getting together in community activities, or simply bored during summer break. Additionally, this is also an attempt to welcome new members into PC's battling community, and maybe make the community feel more like one. With the Tutoring Corner, competitive battling could be easier to learn for PC members. The Tutoring Corner may also make battling much more interesting for our members, seeing as it can get a little stale at times. You may think "oh...this is going to be a failure like the last tutoring programs," but after those mistakes we've made in the past, the system is much more streamlined and flexible, along with other features instead of just one-on-one tutoring. Knowing this, I hope you give this another chance. Instead of me rambling, let's continue on!

http://i.imgur.com/IHz3Y.png

Classes are the main feature that we will be holding, along with one-on-one tutoring for additional learning. To sign up for them, simply read the sign up sections for them (it is better to read what it is about first though). In the future, we will have more activities for the community that are focused on separate subjects of battling (team building and battling strategy), which will be explained at the bottom of this post! All of these events are optional if you want to participate in them or not, you can join one-on-one tutoring without having to join the classes, and so on.

→ For majority of these activities, you will need to download Pokémon Online (http://www.pokemon-online.eu/)
We use it to communicate with other battlers (and it's basically the IRC of the Competitive Battling Center). It's another way of participating in the community.

→ All tutoring will be for 5th generation OverUsed (standard play)
Though a lot of what you learn can be applied to other tiers. However, we're considering on having a class for the UnderUsed tier soon.

http://i.imgur.com/l4Xsf.png

Classes are a new event which work similar to actual classes. Everyone gets together at a certain date and time, and the experienced battlers teach beginners everything we know about battling. We will follow a schedule, or structure, on what we will teach throughout the class. During the class, beginners may ask questions pertaining to the current subject being discussed (and can ask for help when everyone creates their teams for the themed tournaments). We want to make sure you understand everything, so be sure to speak up if you are confused! Once the teaching is over, we will hold four tournaments, each with a different theme (the return of Community Night (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=208732)!). This lets the students practice what they have learned, and also allows other battlers to join in! Note that the tournaments will be very lax and for fun, so if you lose, don't be discouraged.

→ Note that there is no need to sign up to be considered a tutor for classes
(One-on-one tutoring, on the other hand, require sign ups.) Anyone may contribute to the discussion and post if they believe we missed something. There will be a few members who will lead classes so it runs smoothly though. If any of the server staff sees that you're posting misleading info constantly, we will warn you to stop, and if you continue we may mute.

We will appreciate if regulars still join, even if you don't teach, to participate in the tournaments (or if you're just interested in the classes)! We may even have some extra stuff at the end of the class.

http://i.imgur.com/6ld3T.png

For more understanding on how the classes will work, this is the schedule for what we plan on teaching! Since this is the first time we've held organized classes, we may not be able to teach everything within a reasonable time. If that happens, the class will be continued later. I also would like to mention that there is no specific time each subject will end; it will end when we decide that there is nothing else left about it to teach. We hope to finish the entire class within 60-90 minutes (excluding the tournaments) however.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/06/Ani443MS.png First Class (may change)

---Introduction to Competitive Battling

---Basics
--Natures, EVs, and IVs
--Clauses and Tiers
--Roles
--Movesets
--Items
-Additional Info (that we may have missed)

---Team Building Basics
--Types of Teams
--Team Core
--Team Synergy
-Additional Info

---Battling Strategy
--Team Preview
--Prediction (and Switching)
--Long Term Thinking
-Additional Info

---Tournaments
--First Theme: OverUsed
--Second Theme: OverUsed (a second tour)
--Third Theme: Challenge Cup

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/48/Ani444MS.png Second Class

The second class is currently undecided, we will plan it after the first class has been finished. We will have more tournament themes in this class, by the way!

The first class focuses on beginner themes, while the second class (which hosted at a different date and time by the way!) is going to be a more in-depth take on battling. We plan to only get the simplest topics on battling in the first class so that everyone can participate in the tournaments without being puzzled. They're separated mainly because of time restrictions, and it gives our students some time to practice battling before we jump into the rest.

http://i.imgur.com/6fnJd.png

→ No disrespecting anyone
No one is good when they start battling; don't expect new battlers to be the same skill level as you.

→ Everyone must have good sportsmanship
This means no constant bragging over beating a well known player; no belittling someone's win because there was hax (poor luck), we don't care if you were going to win but a Pokémon of yours was hit by a Critical Hit (especially since these tours will be carefree, like I said earlier); and so on. If you cannot handle being a good sport, it's better off for everyone if you leave.

→ No one may use the "disallow spectators" clause in tournament battles
Students might want to watch the match for additional observing on battling strategy. Again, winning isn't the main objective of these tours so don't worry about people seeing your team's details.

→ The PokéCommunity (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=242861) and Pokémon Online Server rules (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5619026#post5619026) still apply

http://i.imgur.com/c46tS.png

Now that you have read how this works and the guidelines, post that you are interested (if you are) in participating and also mention dates and times that you are available (for arranging the time the class will begin). Posting isn't required to be able to take part in the class, but it's preferred that you do. Also, if you posted the times you're available in Vrai's Blog Entry (http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=11372), you don't have to post.

→ There is no application for classes
The only thing we would like to know is timezone and when you're available, and that isn't needed. All you have to do is save the date, and be there. However, if you sign up with the one-on-one tutoring application, you don't need to post anything for classes (since you already have).

http://i.imgur.com/dnI8R.png

This is undecided at the moment, but we will most likely have it on weekend and during a time when it's possible for our members in both America and Europe (maybe Australia too) to participate. We want everyone's opinion on when we should have it, so it's more convenient and successful. We will have a log of the entire class, but we encourage you to still make the effort to come and participate, or this may not be a success and could stop running! Not to mention, you will miss out on the tournaments and the overall experience.

http://i.imgur.com/ybr9A.png

This is the traditional pairing up a student with a tutor, so that they can teach their own battling knowledge! After a student and tutor are paired up, you both will have one month, and then the tutor will be assigned a different student. There will be 8 tutors and 8 students.

http://i.imgur.com/c46tS.png

Regulars may not apply as a student, due to small amount of tutors. Feel free to partake in the other events though!

In the case of tutor applicants, we are looking for people who have proven that they have a strong understanding of fundamental competitive battling concepts and know how to translate that to actual battles and winning. In other words, we're looking for regulars (members who are active in the forum/server), if only because they're the only people we know that meet the requirement. If you sign up and are passed over, that just means that we haven't seen enough of you to know if you're qualified. Come on the server and post in the main forum some more and you'll make it next time!

These are the applications you must fill out and post if you want to sign up. We will accept 8 students and tutors. You may not apply if you are banned on the Pokémon Online server, otherwise it makes it hard to communicate.

→ Please note that these applications are only for one-on-one tutoring!
If you plan on signing up for solely classes, see the sign up section for it. If you post these applications, I will add you to the one-on-one tutoring (for classes, you only need to show up).

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:
Timezone:
What do you feel you need to work on the most?
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?

Tutors

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:
Timezone:
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at?
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?

http://i.imgur.com/67BWW.png

Stay tuned! We have some events planned for community later on!

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/22/Ani445MS.png special thanks to Smogon, Vrai, Anti, Luke, Aero, and everyone else for their support http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/22/Ani445MS.png

Manila Luzon
June 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
OMG Finally! 8D /signs.

Going for tutor this time around! :3

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Dracon Ometeor / Afternoon Delight / Rarity
Timezone: GMT +1
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Synergy and Prediction, although Team Building is kinda above average. (:
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? lol work? I'm at school Mon-Fri and I'm there from like 8:30 - 15:30 I'll specify any other time off and junk.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I got into competitive battling a lot more when Gen V came out, so I guess Gen V is also a strong point for me. :3

gameplayer56
June 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I can finally learn faster

Student
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: gameplayer56
Timezone: PST (-8 GMT, I believe)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Predicting
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm on most of the time, soEvery 2 weeks, I won't be here on the weekend, starting this weekend...
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? None..

.Aero
June 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Aero
Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (-5:00)
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Team building I guess and I've gotten increasingly better at identifying threats to teams.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? It varies. Kind of like Patrick Star's stupidity. I'm always on MSN though, so if you can't reach me through PC / PO, I can get messages on MSN.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Ok, I'm basically applying for the position as I want to redeem myself from not really teaching Karpman anything. I also don't think we should start the individual tutoring program instantly, but we should offer a little preparation for the tutors. When I took Karpman as a student, despite turning him into a lovely asset of the CBC community, I really didn't teach him much in terms of battling...I think I just flat out didn't know what to teach him. I need a little time for preparation if anything, and I'm sure other tutors would agree that it would be a good idea.

spartan127
June 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
kind of a "regular" but i suck so i want to be a student, if more sign up though feel free to push mw down list for those that are new.

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:spartan127
Timezone:umm whatever california is lol PacificTimeZone
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? work 6pm-4am six days a week and usually sleep til 12-1pm
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? not really no lol

Vrai
June 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
THIS IS AMAZING.
http://i.imgur.com/XQ7Ks.jpg

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Vrai

Timezone: US Central, whatever that is. GMT -6?
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? I'm probably best at what happens once you start playing. Long term planning, overall prediction skills, minimizing hax... all of those are my forte.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I've got weight training in the morning from 6-11 AM. Outside of that, it just depends on when I'm online and when I am not. I'm usually on the server most of the day and on MSN even more than that.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm a cool guy. B) but yeah I'm just like Aero, trying to make up for previous failures. I'll be much more prepared this time, though, so stay classy. :)

edit: syndrome's sig is not true!!!

Cycle
June 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Isuck.jpeg

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: TrashTNT
Timezone: EST, GMT-4
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Everything
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? School from 8-3 for 3 days, and then Im just about free for most days.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? no

solarowl
June 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
OMGOMGOMG! It's finally here! :DDD
I can finally be a good battler instead of spammer lol. I'm kind of a regular on PO, but I'm not good. D:

Student
PC Pokemon Online Server Username: -Not- a Solar Oval/ Solar Oval/ Solarowl/ Solar Owl

Timezone: PST, I think lol, or GMT -8

What do you feel you need to work on most?
I have trouble deciding whether to predict or under predict. I usually can determine it from the opponent's earlier moves, but some, like D_A, like to vary it. My main problem is making a team. Making a team is impossible for me. I just don't know what to use. I have a minor problem in dealing with opposing threats, but only a few.

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule(like when you work, for example)? No, it's summer, so I'm basically free.

Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? A few.
1. Sorry for posting both here and in the blog, I just wasn't sure, so I posted here too.

Gulpin
June 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I don't think that I want to do one-on-one, at least yet, but I do want to attend the classes. I posted in the blog what times I'm free but I'll be free pretty much most of the time from 8am - 10pm GMT -6. I can't wait to attend the classes! I really just want help building a team for the Gen V metagame.

Exile
June 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Applying as tutor unless D_A wants to teach me stall

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Karpman, Aoki, probably a ton of other usernames that I don't remember.
Timezone: Eastern US, GMT-5
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at?: Prediction, I make amazing predictions from time to time, I'm sort of like the Andrew Bynum of Battling. My team building is also pretty good and should get you pretty far before you begin to leave the nest and such. Your grammar might even improve by spending time around me!
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Nah, it's summer, timezones don't matter to me, as I can stay up all night.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm not doing 1 on 1.

Khreep
June 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Withdrawing tutee application

Jake♫
June 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Jake
Timezone: GMT -5 (Eastern, whatever)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building, I really just don't know Gen V at all =3
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I usually work nights, so the day is good, and after 9 PM is okay too
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm awesome and D_A made me post

Senoue
June 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Senoue
Timezone: -8 GMT
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I feel I need to work on my team building and balancing out my EV/IVs considering I don't know what is the right balance.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I am in school until June 16th, after that, I have plenty of free time.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I try to be a quick learner, and I don't tend to give up until I can get a grasp on the subject.

twistedpuppy
June 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Applying as a student.

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: twisted
Timezone: GMT or UTC It's the same thing isn't it? -5:00, EST.

Pretty much everything listed under Team Building Basics & Battling Strategy.

Not that I can think of.

Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself?
I'm a dirty birdie? Idek, nothing that relates to battling. :P

grodkorv
June 12th, 2011, 02:18 AM
im interested in the classes!
where will they take place? in the forum, in the chat?

Btw, this is a great idea! looking forward to it :)

Vrai
June 12th, 2011, 02:23 AM
im interested in the classes!
where will they take place? in the forum, in the chat?

Btw, this is a great idea! looking forward to it :)

They'll take place on Pokemon Online (there's an underlined link in the first post). :3

grodkorv
June 12th, 2011, 03:17 AM
They'll take place on Pokemon Online (there's an underlined link in the first post). :3

oh my, now i feel retarded.. >.>

well, thank you! :)

Crimson5M
June 12th, 2011, 09:29 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Haha, like I have PO...
Timezone: GMT
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Umm...winning?
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? School every weekday from 9:00 to 3:20, and it takes me about twenty minutes to get back home. I usually wake up at some time around the afternoon on weekends/other days I'm not at school for whatever reason. I have 7 siblings, so I'm very busy a lot of the time, along with having my hack that I badly need to resume work on. Sometimes I watch TV.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear.

FC is in sig. I've VM'd Wolflare already.

Ninja Caterpie
June 12th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Ah, probably should apply as a student now that I feel like getting back into

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: ShadowLakitu
Timezone: Australian Eastern Standard Time: GMT +10
What do you feel you need to work on the most? The metagame, mostly; team building and stuff. I can probably get on the prediction thing with a bit more experience. Oh, and synergy would help lololol.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm not gonna do anything much on school days and Saturdays are a bit ish. Sunday afternoons give me total freedom, although around 5-6 on weekdays I can manage too, I s'pose.

And nothing else. :P

Enigma
June 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Applying to be a student. :D

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: InfernoRogue
Timezone: Pacific (GMT -8)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Um, everything pretty much. Like predicting, team building, etc.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm usually free at any time of the day, now that I'm on break. :)
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Um, yay? 8D

Freezer
June 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Signing up as tutor again. Somehow last confidence the last day but I'm OK now.

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Spineco/Spino/Spiny
Timezone: UTC +3 (or GMT +3 i dunno)
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Team building and synergy.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? No so far.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'll try my best. :>

Skip Shot
June 14th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I'm going to be gone for huge chunks of the summer, otherwise I would apply for a tutor spot. I'll drop in and help with classes though and if there's a latecomer that's interested in being a student (say beginning of August when I return), I'd be more than willing to tutor them one-on-one.

grodkorv
June 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I actually think that i will apply as a student!
It really looks like a lot of fun :3

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Consone
Timezone: GMT +1 (UTC +2)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? synergy, team building and prediction!
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? summerbreak is about to start now, so no.. not that i know of atm!

Vrai
June 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I don't know why I only thought of this just now but if you do plan on participating in the classes and not just the one-on-one tutoring, we would very much like to know your timezone at the very least and the times you are available, so that we might better select the time for the classes. AFAIK these people who have already posted are interested in having the one-on-one stuff; so please, if you're going to go to the classes, do mention the times you're available so we can pick out a good time for the class. If you're uncomfortable posting that information you can PM it to Wolf or myself - and if you're uncomfortable with that, you don't have to, but you also risk the class being in a bad timeframe for you so yeah.

Reading over the OP, yeah, it's mentioned, but I feel like I should bring it up again since literally everyone so far has indicated interest in the one-on-one stuff; if you want to be a part of the classes, we'd really really like to know the times you're available. :)

Stormbringer
June 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM
:D Might as well.

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Gino Weinberg

Timezone: UTC -4, so It's 11:45 AM IDEK

What do you feel you need to work on the most? Most likely team building, once I get a good synergistic team I'm usually pretty good. Maybe memorizing the less obvious speed tiers.

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Usually I'm at work Tues/Sun. My availability is usually in the mornings and evenings, but next week I'm booked. (June 20th-25rd) due to Vacation.

Hiii Vrai

flamehaze94
June 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Timezone stands at UTC-8. I'll probably just pitch in with the classes and help out the newer players. The tournaments I'll participate in too (there needs to be Ubers, srsly). I could be like the last boss or something.

Amore
June 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Amore1994 (I'm not actually on the server yet, but Amore's been taken so I have to use that on everywhere else)

What do you feel you need to work on the most? Well, all the changes from Gen V. Team building, and a little bit of everything else wouldn't help - my prediction's not bad, but it'll be worse transitioning from Gen IV to Gen V.

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Well, I'm finished school from 1st July onwards, but looking to get a job, so I could imagine the only day I will be reliably available will be Sunday. May change once I get a job.

Umm...hi guys, I'm back...again :P

EternalLoathing
June 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
is registering stil opened?

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Reborn / Dracon Ometeor
Timezone: -3
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Iv Training
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'll be unavailable between 7:00 to 13:)),and soemtimes 17:30 to 20:00 (GMT-3)

Exile
June 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
is registering stil opened?

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Reborn / Dracon Ometeor
Timezone: -3
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Iv Training
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'll be unavailable between 7:00 to 13:)),and soemtimes 17:30 to 20:00 (GMT-3)

OMG Finally! 8D /signs.

Going for tutor this time around! :3

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Dracon Ometeor / Afternoon Delight / Rarity
Timezone: GMT +1
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Synergy and Prediction, although Team Building is kinda above average. (:
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? lol work? I'm at school Mon-Fri and I'm there from like 8:30 - 15:30 I'll specify any other time off and junk.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I got into competitive battling a lot more when Gen V came out, so I guess Gen V is also a strong point for me. :3

Wait, so you two are different people? Odd coincidence with the server aliases there.

Vrai
June 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Timezone stands at UTC-8. I'll probably just pitch in with the classes and help out the newer players. The tournaments I'll participate in too (there needs to be Ubers, srsly). I could be like the last boss or something.

we'd branch out into other tiers if we could but it might be trying to put too much pressure on the new players, forcing them to try and figure out two metagames at once

flamehaze94
June 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
haha That was more self-interest than anything. Maybe it can be a "for fun" kinda thing. But you're right OU should be enough for now.

cbd98
June 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
SIGN ME UP!!! im eastern timezone, my PO name is probably gunna be cbd98, and im available most nights after 9 until like 10 or 10:30. also once i get good i could sign up as a tutor since i like helping out others when ive been helped, i just like paying it foward.

Vrai
June 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM
haha That was more self-interest than anything. Maybe it can be a "for fun" kinda thing. But you're right OU should be enough for now.

haha yeah. once we get past this first class or two then we can probably consider more variety with the tournaments but the interest isn't that big yet. :)

SIGN ME UP!!! im eastern timezone, my PO name is probably gunna be cbd98, and im available most nights after 9 until like 10 or 10:30. also once i get good i could sign up as a tutor since i like helping out others when ive been helped, i just like paying it foward.

that'd be great. :)

TwilightBlade
June 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Valkyrie
Timezone: Eastern UTC -4
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team Building Basics, especially synergy+cores, and Battling Strategy, especially prediction+focus throughout the battle.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm out Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 8 pm. I always have coursework due online on random days so my free-time varies. I don't wake up early. Prime time is the weekend.

Black Ice
June 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM
HEY I'M A BEGINNER

One-on-one:
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: BlackIce
Timezone: GMT-6
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Tuesday & Thursday 5-9pm, out of town July 2-13

mzmingle
June 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
so you can't do this with WiFi?
Well thats leaving me out again, i can't download it...

Beechlgz
June 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I wanna try the group sessions. I'm a complete newbie, I don't know anything except what I've read in tutorials. I've wanted to get into competitive battling since about 10 years ago but I never had access to opponents until generation 5 (just got a wireless capable modem). I didn't even know there were online battle simulators until I read this thread. I keep getting thrashed in battles on my White version and have an abysmal battle record of about 5 or 6 losses and 1 win (I think the win was luck).

I'm available (GMT time):

Monday: 7:30-9:30
Tuesday: 9:00-9:30
Wednesday: 6:00-9:30
Thursday: 9:00-9:30
Friday: 6:00-9:30
Saturday: Any Time
Sunday: Any Time

.Aero
June 15th, 2011, 11:49 PM

What's the problem with the download? If you PM/VM me, Wolf, or Vrai, we could probably assist you with fixing any problems you have with your downloading. If you physically cannot get it because you're using a home computer/parent's computer that you're not aloud to download stuff on, then I understand.

But yeah, it's Pokemon Online specific because it allows optimal teaching tools. Teams can be made on the fly and you don't have to spend forever building a team in Wifi only to find out that the Gliscor you trained for the team isn't performing as well as you had though, and then having to replace it by training another pokemon (all this can be done in mere minutes in PO).

GingerTom
June 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I don't really go on PO much, but have it on my computer and would like to learn :D
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: GingerTom (how imaginative...)

Timezone: GMT+1 (Daylight Savings Time)

What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Battle strategies, predicting the opponents next move, and team building

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?: River Fishing season opens this Friday, so will be away fishing most Saturdays. I will be partying on Friday nights (Rebecca Black reference not intentional) however I have left school and will be available most weekdays.

Is there anything you'd like to include about yourself?: I joined PC for the battle centre and quick battle and have found that I lost most battles, so here I am :)

Impo
June 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM
i'd like to sign-up for one-on-one tutoring and classes, please. I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks, though, so I can be put on the bottom of the list, I don't mind.

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Impo
Timezone: GMT+9.30
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Predicting, Synergy, Strategy. Mostly things for in-battle and team making.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Currently I go to school for eight hours a day, and I will be going on holiday until July 1st

Vrai
June 16th, 2011, 02:10 AM
What's the problem with the download? If you PM/VM me, Wolf, or Vrai, we could probably assist you with fixing any problems you have with your downloading. If you physically cannot get it because you're using a home computer/parent's computer that you're not aloud to download stuff on, then I understand.

But yeah, it's Pokemon Online specific because it allows optimal teaching tools. Teams can be made on the fly and you don't have to spend forever building a team in Wifi only to find out that the Gliscor you trained for the team isn't performing as well as you had though, and then having to replace it by training another pokemon (all this can be done in mere minutes in PO).

Yep, I'd just like to repeat all of this, plus note that Pokémon Online is also used because we have a chat system-thing that we can utilize kinda as the group classroom. If you're unable to join the sessions, however, we still will post the logs and teams to be read over. You can still look over what all went on and what was discussed but if you can't get PO you are missing out on the biggest portion of it, which is to say actually being a part of it.

vaporeon7
June 16th, 2011, 02:20 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Vaporeon7
Timezone: +9:30
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Battling, building teams and predicting.
Is Vrai a teacher?

WishCookie
June 16th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Hi, i would like to sign up, but there is a problem. When i'm going to register i need to enter a password as you know. But when i'm trying to join servers it says that i'm disconnected and banned for some reason. I started to play Pokemon Online for like two days ago.

Does someone know what the problem is? I would be greatful if someone could give me an answer. =)

Chaosreins21
June 16th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Chaosreins21
Timezone: utc -4
What do you feel you need to work on the most? battle strategies, team building, move sets, winning

im online all day so time dont matter

jabberjabber8
June 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I will put my self forward as a 5th gen OU tutor, I don't really no my time zone to be honest so im just going to say england...

Yono
June 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Registering as a student. :)

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Yono
Timezone: EST
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Team Building/Prediction
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule: Currently I"m available only on Mondays and Tuesdays (11 AM - 3 PM). I'll try to be during these times. Hopefully I don't miss out.

Vrai
June 16th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I will put my self forward as a 5th gen OU tutor, I don't really no my time zone to be honest so im just going to say england...

Hi. While it's wonderful that you want to be a tutor for us, there are three prerequisites that we want all the tutors to be able to fulfill: Firstly, you have to know what you're doing. You don't have to be amazing, just good enough to be able to pass on knowledge. Secondly, we want to be able to know you'll be a good tutor. We want to know if you'll be able to take people's misunderstandings and show them the right way without degrading them or insulting them or anything (not saying you would, but... it's always a possibility). Lastly we want tutors to be active. I don't think I've ever seen you active in S&M, CBC, or just the PO server. If you want to tutor, that's great and awesome but we need you to prove that you can fill these three criterion before you can be accepted.

Hi, i would like to sign up, but there is a problem. When i'm going to register i need to enter a password as you know. But when i'm trying to join servers it says that i'm disconnected and banned for some reason. I started to play Pokemon Online for like two days ago.

Does someone know what the problem is? I would be greatful if someone could give me an answer. =)
Try using a different username. Sometimes you might use one that's already registered and if you type in the wrong password it disconnects you.

PinkPirate
June 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: PinkPirate
Timezone: UTC -4
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I know so close to nothing that it surprises even myself.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Name a time and I will make it work.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Hmmmmmmm. Not really. I have social anxiety disorder, so I may not say much during classes. But don't worry, I will be learning....quietly.

DavidBarnes
June 16th, 2011, 08:42 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: DavidBarnes (Big Shocker, right?)
Timezone: GMT Pacific -8
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I really think my biggest thing is EV & IV's.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm usually home around 7 PM through the night. But sometimes, I will just stay home alllll day.

Manila Luzon
June 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: DavidBarnes (Big Shocker, right?)
Timezone: GMT Pacific -8
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I really think my biggest thing is EV & IV's.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm usually home around 7 PM through the night. But sometimes, I will just stay home alllll day.

I don't see why you need to work on these the most... I mean, Ev's and Iv's are really easy on PO. On PO, it's set to 31/31/31/31/31/31, the only time it's changed is when you set a Hidden Power, which are automatically set to the Hidden Power's spread. Ev's are easy as well, just type in what Ev's you want on your Pokemon. If it's not this, please could you elaborate on what you mean?

jabberjabber8
June 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by jabberjabber8

Hi. While it's wonderful that you want to be a tutor for us, there are three prerequisites that we want all the tutors to be able to fulfill: Firstly, you have to know what you're doing. You don't have to be amazing, just good enough to be able to pass on knowledge. Secondly, we want to be able to know you'll be a good tutor. We want to know if you'll be able to take people's misunderstandings and show them the right way without degrading them or insulting them or anything (not saying you would, but... it's always a possibility). Lastly we want tutors to be active. I don't think I've ever seen you active in S&M, CBC, or just the PO server. If you want to tutor, that's great and awesome but we need you to prove that you can fill these three criterion before you can be accepted.

firstly I do no what I am doing I was a total novice a month ago (you may have seen some post here by me) but I have spent the last month on PO and I would be happy to demonstrate that you any time
secondly, well i have never been a tutor before I am just looking for a project to do over the holidays. so i guess there is only one way to find out if i will be helpful or not.
lastly I am not active on the competitive battle forum here because i use smogon forum for that sort of thing. (I use this forum for rom hacking just noticed the banner and decided to check it out) and as for the PO sever i use the tree house server, i used to use the PC server but there was never any one on.

Sorry about the short post earlier, if you have any more questions please feel free...

WishCookie
June 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Try using a different username. Sometimes you might use one that's already registered and if you type in the wrong password it disconnects you.

Thank you so much, i will try. =)

poopnate
June 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I've messed around on Shoddy, but I've never battled with GenV and I'm still horrible, so sign me up. :D

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: poopnate
Timezone: -5UTC
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Predicting and GenV
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule: I'm on Holiday, so I'm free whenever!

WishCookie
June 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
So, i'd like to join as a student so here we go!

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:WishCookie

Timezone: Sweden GMT +1

What do you feel you need to work on the most? I think i need to work pertty much at stats, abillities and nature. I think i need to work on my teams attack combination as well, i also need to train much at Ev and Iv training.

I'm on holiday, i'm free in three months. So I will be active every day. But i will also be active after the holiday because i got alot of freetime but after the summer i'm going to school from 8:30 to 15:40 and after that i'm all free. I will do my best to be a good student and succeé. =)

wolf
June 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
thanks everyone for signing up! i will most likely decide on a date for the first class soon, and will probably close the sign ups for the one-on-one tutoring soon if we have enough tutors.

i decided that if the members who can't use pokemon online, and use pc's irc, they can still join if we have enough tutors that can teach there. that's only for the one-on-one tutoring though, and not the classes (like vrai said, the log will be posted, but you won't be able to experience it).

edit: Is Vrai a teacher?
yes.

WishCookie
June 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I forgott to say that i'm very active at the community! i'm online in like 3-5 Hours at day if note more. :D

Vrai
June 16th, 2011, 01:54 PM
firstly I do no what I am doing I was a total novice a month ago (you may have seen some post here by me) but I have spent the last month on PO and I would be happy to demonstrate that you any time
secondly, well i have never been a tutor before I am just looking for a project to do over the holidays. so i guess there is only one way to find out if i will be helpful or not.
lastly I am not active on the competitive battle forum here because i use smogon forum for that sort of thing. (I use this forum for rom hacking just noticed the banner and decided to check it out) and as for the PO sever i use the tree house server, i used to use the PC server but there was never any one on.

Sorry about the short post earlier, if you have any more questions please feel free...

Nope, I've never seen a post by you. Demonstrations would be effective and probably necessary. ;x We're still unsure of how long this will last so honestly I dunno if it will be just "over the holidays" or longer than that or what. Also we still would appreciate activity in the forums and on the PO server from our tutors. At least that way we can get a sense of regularity and how often they're online, what they're like, etc. It'd be fantastic if you'd get more active here before you become a tutor, should you want to.

Acealo
June 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Student
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: acealo
Timezone: PST (-8 GMT, I think)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Everything(never even attempted before)
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? im open all morning but on wed. and thurs. i have soccer at 6 pm PST. im back around 830.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Im very interested and will try my hardest to learn and succeed.

Fairy
June 16th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hey all.
Posted this in Vrai's blog, thought I would do it again just in case. You know, for efficiency's sake.

What would be the best timeframe for you to be able to get online?

-I'm free of all external distraction between 11pm - 2:30am EST any night, every night.
-If not, than weekdays from 5:30pm - 7:30pm EST.
-And if all that doesn't fly, than weekends at 12:30pm - 2:30pm EST. will also work for me.

Have you ever battled competitively before? (Not like a casual match with your friends - this means using things like EVs and breeding for Hidden Powers, or battling online with a simulator like Pokémon Online)

-Yes. Very much so. The inner workings of strategy and hidden variables of each Pokemon is what peaked my interest in competitive battling, and thus, led me here. ;3

If you have, can you categorize what you struggle most with? (things like predicting, team building, dealing with opposing threats, etc.) If not, that's alright too.. this question is just so we can better identify what we need to focus on.

-Team building, team synergy, identifying and applying team roles, prediction and analysis, and whatever you guys are willing to teach.

jabberjabber8
June 16th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Nope, I've never seen a post by you. Demonstrations would be effective and probably necessary. ;x We're still unsure of how long this will last so honestly I dunno if it will be just "over the holidays" or longer than that or what. Also we still would appreciate activity in the forums and on the PO server from our tutors. At least that way we can get a sense of regularity and how often they're online, what they're like, etc. It'd be fantastic if you'd get more active here before you become a tutor, should you want to.

Fine I will start using this instead of smgon, and as for the PO server what sort of numbers are you getting on there at the moment i use treehouse witch has a constant 20 people on it most of the time..? last time i checked PC server was lucky to have 3 people on at one time.

Jake♫
June 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Fine I will start using this instead of smgon, and as for the PO server what sort of numbers are you getting on there at the moment i use treehouse witch has a constant 20 people on it most of the time..? last time i checked PC server was lucky to have 3 people on at one time.

Well it's 2:30 AM EST and there is still 9 of us online actively talking, so that's a decent testament. There was ~15 of us online earlier today (At a decent hour XD).

M4
June 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Still accepting students? :p

WishCookie
June 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Still accepting students? :p

They sure do i think. Its nothing we can do then just wait.

Darkrai::.
June 17th, 2011, 01:52 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Zonon
Timezone: GMT +5:30
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Team building and strategy
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule:
8:30am to 3:00 pm - School

Pichu_fan
June 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username:Munchlax
Timezone:Eastern USA
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I don't know.....Team building?
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?No Sunday mornings.

WishCookie
June 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Many students, More tutors please :<

moonlamp
June 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Are u still choosing students and tutors?

Cycle
June 17th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Spineco told me to change to tutor and Im too lazy to change my post as student so w/e
\o/

Tutors

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: TrashTNT
Timezone: GMT-4 or something idk its eastern america
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Idk, I've gotten pretty good at predictiona and synergy.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? In three days I'm going to taiwan for three weeks; I should have internet access for the latter two weeks. I might be able to get on the first week too if I'm lucky.

Otherwise, I'm available the whole time.

Overlord Drakow
June 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I can sign up for a tutor if you guys are running short of people.

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Overlord Drakow
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? I think I'm good at the psychological aspect of the game.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Not really, I'm free pretty much whenever.

WishCookie
June 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
We got some tutors =3 Thats really good.

Vrai
June 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Sure.

It depends on when you're coming on. Afternoon in USA is probably your best bet for activity - lately we've been hitting upwards of twelve, fourteen people. Remember, we're doing this for activity, because we want more people interested and online. If you don't want to give effort towards making an inactive server more active then that's fine, we're not forcing you to do anything. I'm just saying this isn't something we want someone to just kinda decide to do - we want to make sure you're going to show up, give effort, and try to help our community. Most of the people who have already signed up to tutor are consistently active on the server (and to some extent generally give helpful advice on the forums, though we do wish they would do it more!).

Not that we don't want you to help, it'd just be nice if you proved your willingness to do so first.

Gohanthesaiyan
June 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
sign me up i was always interested in something like this!

Manila Luzon
June 17th, 2011, 02:12 PM
sign me up i was always interested in something like this!

You need to specify what you're signing up for; either Tutor or Student. Then you need to fill out the form that goes with your chosen class.

Bray☆Star
June 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Student

I haven't had a proper battle since before 5th gen was released, I kinda lost my batting spirit and then I just really couldn't be bothered battling 5th gen at all.
It would be great to have some one help me understand more about it so I can can back into battling B-)
I'm available most of the time just now because it's summer.

Beechlgz
June 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM
You need to specify what you're signing up for; either Tutor or Student. Then you need to fill out the form that goes with your chosen class.

I thought you only had to fill out a form if you wanted one-on-one tuition or you wanted to be a tutor? Do you have to fill out a form for classes too?

Manila Luzon
June 18th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I thought you only had to fill out a form if you wanted one-on-one tuition or you wanted to be a tutor? Do you have to fill out a form for classes too?

Well I don't think that other guy specified his time and such in Vrai's blog. So we don't know anything, along with them not putting what they're signing up for.

Giratina ♀
June 18th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Hey. I'm very very interested in signing up as a student, but from what I can see, the program is only for Windows users. Is there a Mac version anywhere that you guys can find? Alternatively, are there plans to make a second program for use with actual cartridges and Wi-Fi and whatnot?

Black Ice
June 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
http://pokemon-online.eu/downloads/Client_17.html

Wi-Fi would probably be too inconvenient and/or inefficient.

Gohanthesaiyan
June 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: GohanTheSaiyan
Timezone: Eastern
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Winning and building a solid team.

cbd98
June 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I just want to know when the first class is to make sure I can come, since I have my grandparents coming over and I totally forgot. And they talk... A LOT...

theoblivinator
June 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: TheOblivinator

Timezone: USA Central

What do you feel you need to work on the most? Analyzing my team and other teams weaknesses to help me win the match. I really want to make my Toxic Spike stall team better.

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I have school and work from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday-Friday, and I work Sunday mornings. I am best reached during the evening or all day Saturdays.

Thank you.

Beechlgz
June 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Well I don't think that other guy specified his time and such in Vrai's blog. So we don't know anything, along with them not putting what they're signing up for.

Actually my question wasn't rhetorical, I was genuinely asking if you needed to use the form to sign up for group classes.

Ragnia
June 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Ragnia21
Timezone: PST +1
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Pokemon Related: Team Building, prediction, analysing the opponent's team. Not Pokemon Related: Grammar and my dislike of any pants that are not shorts.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? It's summer so I'm available everyday. I leave on the 27th for a vacation and I don't get back til the 12t

flamehaze94
June 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I almost have no part in this but as I'm aware, you can post your time zone (and schedule) so the classes can be held to everyone's best interest. You don't have to answer about what you need to work on, etc. Of course, if you're going to the group classes instead of 1-on-1 then you don't really have to do anything; just show up to class, just be aware that it might not be at an optimal time if you didn't specify or whatever.

wolf
June 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Actually my question wasn't rhetorical, I was genuinely asking if you needed to use the form to sign up for group classes.
no, you don't have to fill out an application to sign up for classes. :) the only thing we would like to know is your timezone and when you're available. we don't really need that either, we just want to make sure that majority of the users can join the classes. edit: made it more clear in the first post about this.

also, to everyone who is requesting the class date, i will be posting it shortly once a tutor of ours replies to see if he's able to come!

flight
June 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Twilight Sky

Timezone: GMT - 5

What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team Synergy, Team Building, Prediction, Movesets

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Nah im bored all day but I get on at pretty much 7 to 8 PM my time so...i guess thats the best time to catch me on? idk. :(

AfroTentacles
June 18th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Very interested!

Student
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Shadowblade
Timezone: Eastern (UTC -5:00)
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Everything, especially team building
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Available Monday - Saturday in the afternoon; mostly around 2:30 pm

DavidBarnes
June 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I don't see why you need to work on these the most... I mean, Ev's and Iv's are really easy on PO. On PO, it's set to 31/31/31/31/31/31, the only time it's changed is when you set a Hidden Power, which are automatically set to the Hidden Power's spread. Ev's are easy as well, just type in what Ev's you want on your Pokemon. If it's not this, please could you elaborate on what you mean?

Well you know, just the process of working on them just really doesn't not compute with me.

.Aero
June 18th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Well you know, just the process of working on them just really doesn't not compute with me.

We will be covering EVs and IVs in the classroom teachings, I think what Dragon is getting at is the fact that learning EVs and IVs doesn't warrant a one-on-one month-long tutor session. It can quickly and easily be covered in about 10 or 15 minutes during the classroom lessons. :]

WishCookie
June 19th, 2011, 01:33 AM
When is the deadline? =)
I just had to ask. ^^

Vrai
June 19th, 2011, 04:27 AM
When is the deadline? =)
I just had to ask. ^^

There is no deadline if you're talking about signing up for classes. As long as your realize that there are classes there before they actually happen, then you can show up and participate. :3;

If you're talking one-on-one tutoring, then it's more of a "are there even any more open slots" thing. ;-; Or if you're just talking about when this is all going to start, Wolflare is going to post it soon, so just wait until he comes along. :)

Jesspke
June 19th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Ummm:

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Jesspke
Timezone: North-West Europe (Guessing, never figured out, England, to be sure)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Move sets, deffinatly.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?: I'm gone wednesday nights, sometimes not, but most of the time. Some other nights I might hang out with other people. Will tell when.

Hope this works out well :)

WishCookie
June 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
There is no deadline if you're talking about signing up for classes. As long as your realize that there are classes there before they actually happen, then you can show up and participate. :3;

If you're talking one-on-one tutoring, then it's more of a "are there even any more open slots" thing. ;-; Or if you're just talking about when this is all going to start, Wolflare is going to post it soon, so just wait until he comes along. :)

That's it! Thank you (^.^)

TheNinKid
June 19th, 2011, 02:14 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Mychael
Timezone: Central -5:00
What do you feel you need to work on the most: EVs, IVs, and building a good team
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule: none

wolf
June 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Didn't Smogon already do this?
then i could say "didn't serebii already make a pokemon forum, why do the others exist?", or "doesn't smogon have tournaments already, why have a battle forum?". also, smogon hasn't done classes before anyway, other than the seminar which isn't the same.

Opposite Day
June 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
If your into competitive battling to put it bluntly you will find smogon a much better site. however, i stick around here because it has a much more friendly atmosphere. And of course is at the for front of rom hacking.

Yeah, I notice that you are indeed contributing to this friendly atmosphere.

Vrai
June 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Didn't Smogon already do this?

No. We're doing something different, and yes, we used their class that they held on IRC as a model for what we planned to do here. It's the same topic of discussion but we're doing it with a different spin, something more inclined to newer players and hopefully simply just getting more people interested in battling in general. We aren't trying to emulate Smogon in any way - we are our own forum and the way we do things will not be the same as anyone else. We're simply trying to bolster our own activity while being a welcoming environment to battling at the same time. Smogon's session was simply for dedicated players who already had knowledge of how to battle, who already were interested in becoming better battlers, and who already had figured out why it's fun to battle. If you haven't noticed we're really at a lack of those sorts of people and we're trying to get more people to join and see that it is actually something fun and not just something that snobbish jerks do in their free time. If you're uninterested simply because "Smogon already did this" then that's cool, no one's forcing you to participate.

then i could say "didn't serebii already make a pokemon forum, why do the others exist?", or "doesn't smogon have tournaments already, why have a battle forum?". also, smogon hasn't done classes before anyway, other than the seminar which isn't the same.

^ I don't have anything else to amend to that statement.

If your into competitive battling to put it bluntly you will find smogon a much better site. however, i stick around here because it has a much more friendly atmosphere. And of course is at the for front of rom hacking.

People's preferences vary. I like this place much much much more than Smogon. I think that while I can find more continuous, logical, and constant battling discussions there I greatly prefer this site at any rate. Smogon's a valuable resource, sure, but you cannot simply say that Smogon is a better site, atmosphere, etc., because it's really impossible to compare the two things. And ROM Hacking is unrelated to any of this so idk why you brought it up lol. ;/

Yeah, I notice that you are indeed contributing to this friendly atmosphere.

I love contributions to our atmosphere.

TheGr8
June 20th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:Greatness
Timezone:EST
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Teambuilding and Prediction

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? My work sch fluctuates but I am out of school now :P

Kevin Garrett
June 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Tutors

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Kevin Garrett
Timezone: GMT -5:00
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Everything
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? No

Edit: This is only for the class.

thetenthdoctor
June 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I would love to do the class. Anytime should really be good for me!

A message of some kind to let me know when the class is would be much appreciated. That way I can adjust my schedule accordingly :) THANKS!

FreakyLocz14
June 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: FreakyLocz14
Timezone: Pacific
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Pretty much everything.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? My schedule is pretty flexible since school is out, but a courtesy message would be nice.

pokemon996
June 21st, 2011, 07:20 AM
Student
Pokémon Online Server Username: Karl
Timezone:i dont know but i live in england
What do you feel you need to work on the most? team building and battling
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? i go to school every week day at 8am and finnsh at 3pm it takes me about 15-30 minutes to get home. i tend to have to get off computers at 9pm unless off school. at weekends i tend to be on all the time unless i have to get of for what ever reason
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? i used to battle in d/p but i got new internet with wpa connection stopping me from playing i missed out on battling training from them and i need to catch up so i can beat some of my friends rather then it being down to luck that i beat them. thanks :D (oh also im not good at spellings:))

boktor666
June 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM
Yay, its here! Finally the ability to learn from the pro's, im not gonna let this chance pass. I will be following classes too, but also like one on one.

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:boktor666
Timezone:Europe (like holland)GMT+2 (I belive)

Most of the time, I go in with a team that has been trained. However, I don't seem able to create a very effective team. Im not that good at natures, stats and EV+Items and movesets.. so yeah.

Well, I work regular, but its in the evening most of the time, then i have these other activeites, but those are evening too. I currently am enjoying summer break, so im really free now.

Nato4eyes
June 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
I would like to apply as a student.

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Nato4eyes
Timezone: PST, GMT-7
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Im out for the summer, but generally 10am - 5pm my time
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I am a complete noob at competitive battling and want to get into it.

PickupTeam
June 22nd, 2011, 11:05 PM
Is it possible to recieve some kind of one-on-one tutoring through IMs or some such? I want to brush up my skills but I have no desire to meet people, and I have no means of transportation.

Please, please, please, PM me the answer. I'm scared of big giant threads.

Manila Luzon
June 22nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Is it possible to recieve some kind of one-on-one tutoring through IMs or some such? I want to brush up my skills but I have no desire to meet people, and I have no means of transportation.

Please, please, please, PM me the answer. I'm scared of big giant threads.

Oh my-- XD; For one-on-one tutoring you don't actually go and meet that person! |: You do it on Pokemon Online.

Exile
June 23rd, 2011, 12:12 AM
Oh my-- XD; For one-on-one tutoring you don't actually go and meet that person! |: You do it on Pokemon Online.

Seriously? I was counting on chilling in Bergen County with KG as he teaches me stall or with Oppo in Norway, to hone my ability to use Gimmicks. Summer=Ruined :/

To make this post valid, does anyone know if we have a date for the first class?

Dark Azelf
June 23rd, 2011, 05:55 AM
Tutors

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Dark_Azelf
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? This is like asking "how long is a piece of string?" ;D lol
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Yes its rather random as i do shift work so i wont always be available. Im also out alot these days whether its with my gf or friends so once again i cant be certain when im available.

Only for class btw, i suck at 1 vs 1.

Vrai
June 23rd, 2011, 07:08 AM
Seriously? I was counting on chilling in Bergen County with KG as he teaches me stall or with Oppo in Norway, to hone my ability to use Gimmicks. Summer=Ruined :/

To make this post valid, does anyone know if we have a date for the first class?

I wanna go to Norway. :(

We should get it out today. I mean, I'm going to force the date out sometime today from Wolf. ;D

k137an
June 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
im all for this im quite tired of losing to everybody tbh so im ready and free anytime that wouldnt be school hours.

feralig8rx
June 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm interested in the class section. My timezone is GMT - 4:00

As for dates, I won't know for sure until the dates are announced but my best times are weekdays

lriley777
June 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Student
]PC Pokémon Online Server Username:
BWO Luke
Timezone:
EST (-5 GMT, I believe)
Team Building, EV Raising
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule:
Tuesdays, thursdays, and sundays are work days.
Still new to Wifi Battling,All Teachings are reccomended

P.S. are we getting PM'd when Dates are chosen?

wolf
June 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
sorry for not posting this sooner! i've been really busy this week, and everything has distracted me from this. hopefully this isn't too late of a notice.

the first class' date and time is JUNE 26th (sunday) @ 2 PM (GMT -5 / EST)
for other time zones:
7 pm for gmt 0 (uk, etc)
8 pm for gmt +1 (norway, etc)
5 am for gmt +10 (east of australia)
1 pm for gmt -6 (central america)
12 noon for gmt -7 (west coast america)

or just click this (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/eastern-time/), and it will happen when it hits 2 pm on there.

we hope to see you there!

also, if you miss it, we will still post the log, but you won't be able to experience the class and tournaments.

Gulpin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
If we show up late to the class but before the tournament can we still be part of the tournament? Because I might be busy when it starts, but I might be free; I'm not sure.

wolf
June 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
If we show up late to the class but before the tournament can we still be part of the tournament? Because I might be busy when it starts, but I might be free; I'm not sure.
sure, users who don't participate in the class and still join the tournaments.

Vrai
June 24th, 2011, 12:49 AM
If you aren't able to make it to the first part of the session and have to come in late that's okay - you'll just have to figure out where we are exactly and try to catch up from there. The beginning part that you missed will be posted in the form of a log eventually, too - it's okay if you miss out on some of it. And this goes for everybody in general... you're free to come and go as you please, nothing's gonna force you to stay participating if we start and you get the feeling that this sort of thing isn't for you. (Though we'd love if you'd stay and participate the whole time!)

WishCookie
June 24th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Okey, it will be 8 pm for me then. But in which server is the classes going to be in? =)

Dark Azelf
June 24th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Okey, it will be 8 pm for me then. But in which server is the classes going to be in? =)

The Pokecommunity server...Its an announcement in the forum at the top.

Tsvet
June 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Damn, I was waiting for this classes, and they just in the same weekend with an local Anime event we're doing. ;\

So, if I read the entire log for this first class, will I be able to join the second class?

And to join the tutored 1-on-1 lessons, any special pre-requisites?
I mean, in Platinum I have around +450 hours of breeding, trading and casual battling; so I know what stats mean, how to EV train and such, but my actual battle experience is close to zero. Hard to find people to play above casual, so I can't say that I really know how to battle like you guys.

Anyway, if that is enough, applying:

Student

PC Username: Tsvet

Timezone: GMT -03:00

- Prediction (and "switch-in"s, of course);
- Team building (Typing, move-setting);
- Actual battle experience.

- Work [GMT -3] (1:30pm ~ 17:30pm) / [GMT -5] (11:30am ~ 15:30pm)
- College (Always night, but random finishing time. Usually starts at [GMT -3] 7:20pm, but ends at 9:00pm or 11:00pm) / [GMT -5] (5:20pm ~ 7:00pm/9.00pm)
- Sport (American Football) [GMT -3] (Usually mon, wed and thurs, 9:30pm to 11:00pm) / [GMT -5] (7:30pm~9:00pm)
- Kung Fu (Saturday morning, [GMT -3] 9am~11am) / [GMT -5] (7am~9am)

So basically, every weekday morning, saturday afternoon/night and entire sunday free.

Thank you for the chance to become better (:

WishCookie
June 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The Pokecommunity server...Its an announcement in the forum at the top.

Oh yes haha, I forgot that :D

Vrai
June 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Damn, I was waiting for this classes, and they just in the same weekend with an local Anime event we're doing. ;\

So, if I read the entire log for this first class, will I be able to join the second class?

And to join the tutored 1-on-1 lessons, any special pre-requisites?
I mean, in Platinum I have around +450 hours of breeding, trading and casual battling; so I know what stats mean, how to EV train and such, but my actual battle experience is close to zero. Hard to find people to play above casual, so I can't say that I really know how to battle like you guys.

Aww, that sucks. ;-;

Yes, definitely! If you also have any questions about the log or about any parts/things we discussed in particular, you'll be free to post about them here or ask on the server. Most of the people that are going to help with the class are daily regulars at the server so it's going to be really easy to find them and ask for some help on there. By missing the first class you'll miss out on the experience of battling with some other totally new players as well as some of our more experienced ones... but you can also just come on the server later and battle anyway. ^o^

I dunno if the 1on1 stuff is full or anything since I'm not really a big part of that, but no, there are no special prerequisites. Knowing simple things about Pokemon is probably the most helpful thing you can have while battling - type charts, STAB, EV training, about the stats in general, natures, things like that are all very useful knowledge especially when you're starting off battling.

Postman
June 24th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Postman
Timezone: PDT
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building and strategy
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? usually gone after 6pm PDT

I didn't read one thing in this thread. Scrolled down to student and copy+paste. (:
I'll read it later.

Amore
June 25th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Um...I'd just like to say that actually I'm not going to partake in the classes after all. Tbh, competitive battling stresses me out too much, so I'm not going to bother moving into Gen V. I'll just stick to Gen IV until nobody plays it any more.

So yeah, I'm out. Sorry :(

Vrai
June 25th, 2011, 05:52 AM
That's alright. :(

You are definitely welcome to come if you have a change of heart - and even if you don't by the time the class starts, the log will be posted to look over.

tehGDS
June 25th, 2011, 09:38 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Yamato
Timezone: Pacific -8:00 GMT
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Working on trying to kill off Hippowdon and Tyrannitar..
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm always busy at weeks like Mon- Fri, I might be on but I doubt it.. Juggling Band, Sports, and Homework, so I might barely be on, also may be Hacking or Drawing, or even better making some stories or studying SATS/dies
Cross Country 10am-2, sometimes 4 and Band at Wednesdays or it varies, at 4-5 then drawing/ hobbies 5-10.. so I'm barely on at the weeks.

Um, about myself, I like being social and I can be stubborn about replacing a few Pokemon, Expecially my favorites, so I might be good at it, I barely beat ONE of Dark Azelf's Pokemon lol at least that's something right? xD I tend to use Sun or Rain, I also like to draw and talk about anime so heheh talking can get sidetracked..

SuperiorSerperior
June 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm applying to be a student.
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Alex
Timezone: Central Standard Time...GMT-6
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Mainly knowing when to use items, predicting my opponent's next move, knowing which pokemon to have in my team, and coming up with strategies. Yeah, I'm not very good, XD.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Well, I'm in school August 16...till like, May 26...and it's from 9-4, and I'll get home around 4:30, and leave for my bus around 8:05.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm in 7th grade...and I'm bipolar...so if I go off on you, that's why, lol.

Kingdoodler
June 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Is it too late to sign up? Also I have a mac so I can't download the online simulator. Is there a chance that a mac one exists?

thetenthdoctor
June 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Is it too late to sign up? Also I have a mac so I can't download the online simulator. Is there a chance that a mac one exists?

I have a mac too. PO is really quite complicated to download actually no mac version exists. let's see how'd I do it...umm it involves downloading winebottler (app that lets you run windows apps). if you go to the pokemon online forums there should be something that tells you how to install it

Vrai
June 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hey guys! That was pretty fun and while there were still some kinks I wish we could have worked out beforehand (like how long it took ugh), it was still really successful and I'm glad you guys came to tune in! I've got the whole session logged and I'll clean it and hopefully organize it so it's much easier for you guys to use as a resource! We had a pretty fun time and I really do hope you guys come onto the server more and hang out with the regulars - we're almost always there and if you do need team help we'll be happy to give you some. I'll have the log ready within the next 24 hours, and remember that the stickied chat thread is totally open to questions about the metagame (though Pokemon-specific questions should be kept to the moveset thread)!

Anyway, I had a blast and I hope you guys did too. Here's to everyone getting better! :3

wolf
June 26th, 2011, 02:23 PM
it was both a failure and a success. it was a failure because we didn't plan this out enough, and so it was a bit cluttered and took a long time. that's the result of me focusing on other things and being busy... however! after this class i/we know what to fix, so the next class will definitely be better. thanks to everyone for staying, after like 6 hours haha (or 3-4 for the class). hope you guys stick around for the next one, regardless of the previous issues!

Kevin Garrett
June 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I hope everyone will get something out of the class. There were times when it seemed disjointed, but after a slow start it got going. I had a good time playing in the tournament. Maybe I can be there for future classes.

thetenthdoctor
June 26th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Can I make a suggestion? Less tutors/teachers might actually be better. It was kinda confusing with so many different people telling you what to do. Other than that it was quite fun and I'm looking forward to the next class!

Gulpin
June 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Too bad I was busy when the class took place :(
Oh well, I'll just wait to read the log! How long did it take? o.o
Anyways, I can't wait for the next class!

alexf1996
June 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM
If it's not too late to join

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Alexf1996
Timezone: CST, GMT-6
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Free just about every day unless something comes up.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? No.

Manila Luzon
June 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I enjoyed this to, even though I had to cut my time short I felt it was a real success, although I wasn't in the actual chat, I spent my whole time in the questions thread with oppo, spino, karp etc... I got to know some more new people who will hopefully become CBC regulars! n___n Hopefully the next class will be even more successful.

twistedpuppy
June 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Can I make a suggestion? Less tutors/teachers might actually be better. It was kinda confusing with so many different people telling you what to do. Other than that it was quite fun and I'm looking forward to the next class!

I agree with thetenthdoctor. Everyone kept ninja'ing each other. It was entertaining at first, but eventually it got annoying.

Too bad I was busy when the class took place :(
Oh well, I'll just wait to read the log! How long did it take? o.o
Anyways, I can't wait for the next class!

Covering the basics took about 1 or 2 hours. I can't remember. I was tuning in out since I already knew that stuff, but Team Building took about 20 minutes. Go figure.

Kevin Garrett
June 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Covering the basics took about 1 or 2 hours. I can't remember. I was tuning in out since I already knew that stuff, but Team Building took about 20 minutes. Go figure.
I could have gone deeper into it, but I did see people were weary of the basics. I wasn't intending on making each person a team, but I could have done a group team with everyone's suggestions as an example if there was more time. If anyone does want one on one tutoring, I am available through Battling 101.

Elite Four Lucian
June 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Kai Crossheart
Timezone: Mountain
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: everything
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?: Im free all the time

twistedpuppy
June 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I could have gone deeper into it, but I did see people were weary of the basics. I wasn't intending on making each person a team, but I could have done a group team with everyone's suggestions as an example if there was more time. If anyone does want one on one tutoring, I am available through Battling 101.

Actually I think you did a pretty good job. I wasn't expecting anything too detailed just the "basics" which was exactly what you gave us.

swap01
June 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Swap01
Timezone: Mountain Standard Time (MST) - 6:00 GMT
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Anything and everything above basic in-game play. I know about stats, pokemon types, and a little bit about team building. Other then that I'm clueless.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'll be working most of the summer, like 8am-8pm though most Saturdays and Sunday afternoons I can probably get some time in. I'll most likely end up just eading the logs anyways, but if I can conveniently make a class, I will :)

I've played through generation one, two, and three. I'm currently playing through gen 5. I have never battled anyone outside of the trainers you find in game. So I'm a total NOOB :)

EDIT: I'm not interested in the one on one training

cbd98
June 26th, 2011, 07:24 PM
i heard that this class was like a few hours, and i cant get on my laptop that long (stupid little bro), so i'll probably come for an hour, then have to leave, then maybe come back at the end. but ill try to stay for as long as possible and read the logs over carefully.

wolf
June 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
that won't be a problem if we have someone lead each subject, and post who will be, so you can pay attention to that user. that way there won't be other users repeating what <insert member> has already said.

i heard that this class was like a few hours, and i cant get on my laptop that long (stupid little bro), so i'll probably come for an hour, then have to leave, then maybe come back at the end. but ill try to stay for as long as possible and read the logs over carefully.
haha well, we didn't intend it to be that long, and we hope the next class will not be so lengthy either. the schedule was too long, and explaining the basics was very time consuming (we'll probably have a guide for the basics sometime, since it is quite easy to understand).

cbd98
June 27th, 2011, 08:04 AM
oohh, ok. but i have a question. after a class, will the log be posted in this thread or somewhere else?

solarowl
June 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Wish I had come to the first class, but something popped up and I couldn't. :(

Is the date for the next class ready? I want to make sure I don't miss that one as well.

Vrai
June 27th, 2011, 06:49 PM
oohh, ok. but i have a question. after a class, will the log be posted in this thread or somewhere else?

It will be posted in this thread and probably linked to in the first post. :)

Wish I had come to the first class, but something popped up and I couldn't. :(

Is the date for the next class ready? I want to make sure I don't miss that one as well.

Not quite yet. We'll need some time to review what we did right and what we did wrong and how to improve on how we got everything done this last class before we figure out when the next class will be. I don't imagine it will be a long time from now, though.

master20z
June 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: master20

Timezone: Mountain Time Zone, USA & Canada

What do you feel you need to work on the most?- Team building

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule- I am almost always avalible but usally every other weekend i have no internet conection becues i go out of town. I would realy like to be considerd for tutoring or classes iv played pokemon since fire red but have never understood competitive battling.

Gohanthesaiyan
June 29th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Totally forgot about me signing up ): Any chance that the next class will be soon?

TheMysteryEgg
July 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: TheMysteryEgg
Timezone: EST, GMT-6
Strategy and Team Building
I am available on Saturdays except tommorrow and on weekdays I am available between 6:00 and 6:45 PM, sometimes may be a bit earlier or later.

wolf
July 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but we will not be having a class this sunday due to some issues. we will most likely next weekend, however.

and the log will be posted very soon.

JVillzz
July 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Student Application for one-one-one tutoring

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: JVillzz
Timezone: US Eastern
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team Building
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule: I am usually free throughout the day as of now because it is summer. Sometimes I may go out, but mostly I am free from 10 am - 1 pm and 7 pm - 11 pm.

kitred123
July 4th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Just a question, when was the first class? I kept looking in the first post and I read all the way through a couple times and I never saw anything.

Vrai
July 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Just a question, when was the first class? I kept looking in the first post and I read all the way through a couple times and I never saw anything.

The log hasn't been posted yet. -kicks wolf-

It took place last Sunday. The next one will likely be on next Sunday, I'd imagine. There have been some setbacks this week.

MrMilftastic
July 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:MrMilftastic
Timezone:GMT+4
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Everything, I'm a complete noob
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Well I wake up at 2pm usually till about 4am will be on a vacation until Friday the 15th starting on the 11th
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I find myself to be a quick learner, especially when i love the subject I would be ecstatic if picked up for tutoring soon

adhdguitar
July 7th, 2011, 07:45 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Guitar Dude
Timezone: GMT-5
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm pretty free right now, I'll update my schedule when the Fall Term starts.

JonnyPhoenyx
July 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: JonnyPhoenyx
Timezone:GMT -5:00

What do you feel you need to work on the most? I stopped playing onilne when BW was released in Japan. So I would like to learn all the new moves, strategies, and competive play mechanics.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I work 9am-9pm Mon-Thursday and Friday 9am-7pm. Free Most of the weekend.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I tend to only play with my favorite pokemon, regardless if they're outclassed or UU tier. I don't see much of a point in battling with something if you don't like it.

VeteranInTraining
July 7th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Student, please!

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: VeteranInTraining
Timezone: UTC- 5

What do you feel you need to work on the most? - I need to start from scratch, even though I know a lot about the Pokemon, I need to know what they're going to do for my team overall. My strategies are a glass cannon at best lol.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? -I work Mon- Fri 7:30 am until about 6 most days, but I also have a part time job 1 or two nights a week, but that varies.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I just love Pokemon, but am pretty new to the metagame. I love strategies, setting up the perfect and unusual combos, and just having fun the way it was meant to be played. But I can become a problem for my opponent if need be :)

I am also on AIM sometimes, under the name EvilBoxMonkey :D

GingerTom
July 8th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hai guys,
I signed up a while ago but didn't get any info about the first class (Either that or it just swept by me at the time :/ )
Could I at least ask for the next lesson plz? I know I missed the first one but I would appriciate the help
Thanks alot :)

Manila Luzon
July 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hai guys,
I signed up a while ago but didn't get any info about the first class (Either that or it just swept by me at the time :/ )
Could I at least ask for the next lesson plz? I know I missed the first one but I would appriciate the help
Thanks alot :)

I'm pretty sure the log from the first class will be posted soon. C: As for the second class, it will be on Sunday 10th July. I don't know what time, I'm sure someone is going to swoop in amazingly fast and tell you soon though.

Vrai
July 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I presume it will be at the same time as the last class, which was 2 pm EST.

wolf
July 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM
hmm...we were going to plan the class today, but that didn't work out well. and i'll be mostly gone tomorrow. as a result, that means we'll have to delay the second class further to next sunday, and we don't want to rush this like last time. will everyone be fine with it being on next sunday, a get-together day? it should be only one hour at most this time around, and we could include the tournaments at the end of the class for the gt one (like, add the win/loss points to it). :o thoughts?

also, once i make a few final changes, the log will be posted shortly (as in, tomorrow if i manage to get on then).

annnnd the one-on-one tutoring will be starting once the tutors are done preparing (i assume that should only take a few days?).

sorry about this guys, i've had a lot of my plate lately. ;( once i get majority of it done, this will progress a lot faster.

Elite Champion
July 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Weelewi
Timezone: Britian? what ever timezone that is i don't know, sorry.
What do you feel you need to work on the most? well i have never been really good at wi-fi battles, i need help with breeding and training, like with EV's and IV's. I also need help with the likes of strategies and movesets, so alot of help is needed.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Summer holidays! so i have no school for 6 more weeks, i have training monday and thursdays, but im fine every other night, and at the weekend.

This is a great idea, I've been waiting for something like this for ages!

skiddz
July 10th, 2011, 06:13 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: skiddz
Timezone: EST -5
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I need help with team building and creating great movesets to have good synergy. Also help with IV breeding would be appreciated
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I work up until 4 every day and then in bed at 10 pm.

5-10 pm works best

I would like to be in the class or get 1on1 so just pm me or respond to this

NotchedEarPichu
July 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: NotchedEarPichu
Timezone: UTC - 6
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I need help with team building and creating awesome movesets. Also need help with IV breeding...mabye a little bit of EV training
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I have stuff to do in the morning to about 1pm. I am open from 2-8 most weekdays. Weekends change depending on what is going on.

I would really like to do 1 on 1 but classes would be fine with me to. Thanks :)

Espeonature
July 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Mheh... I think I'll give it a whirl - Can't get any worse! XD

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Espeonature
Timezone: GMT -5 until August 2nd, then GMT +5:30
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Everything! I'm terrible!
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule?: It's erratic, because of life, but I think I can fix regular timings - group class times don't agree with my schedule, though.

Conjurer
July 12th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I hope I'm not too late to join the party. (:

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Conjurer / Count Jura / Soldier
Timezone: GMT +7
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? I've been told that I'm best with stall, but I'm decent with everything in general.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I have no Summer Vacation here, so don't expect to see e around 6:00 AM - 3:00 PM (my time), unless it's the weekends.

Shelmet
July 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Shelmet.
Timezone: UTC±0
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building and synergy.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I might be busy on the weekends.

Yoak
July 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
This is a great idea! Only, I'll probably miss the classes because I'll be gone all next week... :(
Will it be accessable to me when I get back?
Also, I hope class 2 will be when I get back

wolf
July 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM
This is a great idea! Only, I'll probably miss the classes because I'll be gone all next week... :(
Will it be accessable to me when I get back?
Also, I hope class 2 will be when I get back
it's most likely going to be this sunday if all goes well with planning it. ;-; however, the log will still be posted, same for the first class. and we'll still have more classes in the future for you to participate in.

thanks everyone for signing up! i'll see if the tutors are ready to start the one-on-one tutoring.

Yoak
July 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM
it's most likely going to be this sunday if all goes well with planning it. ;-; however, the log will still be posted, same for the first class. and we'll still have more classes in the future for you to participate in.

thanks everyone for signing up! i'll see if the tutors are ready to start the one-on-one tutoring.

Alright thanks! I'll be gone sunday :3 so it's good to know I won't miss anything.

TheCondor
July 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: TheCondor
Timezone: Central GMT-6
What do you feel you need to work on the most?: I've have a bit of experience playing Pokemon on a competitive level. I have general knowledge of the importance of IVs, EVs, items, etc. However what I'd like to improve on is my actual team building and battle skills, such as providing better synergy with my team and getting to know plays and strategies I should apply again certain team builds.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?: I normally wake up around 10 ~ 11 AM Central Time, and I normally take 2 hours to work on my writing and work out. Although anytime in between is when I'm open.

I've been love with the competitive Pokemon scene, and it's really been the only other meta game I've been interested in. I'm glad this tutoring program is up and running, and hope the tutors don't crash from all the applications. Anyways, hope I'm not too late.

Tsvet
July 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM
No new post and the first did not got edited, just want to confirm two things:
Is the log of the first class lost forever? :B
Will we have the second class tomorrow and at what time?

Khreep
July 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
It's been over a month since this program was first brought public and there still has yet to be any tutoring. Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys have to do a lot better than this if you want the program to be successful. How can you expect to generate interest if there's no consistent sense of organization or direction? This failure represents the current stagnant era of the battle stadium. Don't turn this into a "Strategies and Mechanics" redux. Step your game up -- please.

.Aero
July 18th, 2011, 08:50 PM
It's been over a month since this program was first brought public and there still has yet to be any tutoring. Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys have to do a lot better than this if you want the program to be successful. How can you expect to generate interest if there's no consistent sense of organization or direction? This failure represents the current stagnant era of the battle stadium. Don't turn this into a "Strategies and Mechanics" redux. Step your game up -- please.

To be honest, I'm a tutor and I completely agree with this. :x I don't know what happened with the others, but I've asked if they wanted to plan the class (the one that was supposed to happen this past sunday) but I blatantly got ignored by everyone. I asked again on Sunday, only to be ignored again. Perhaps I should organize it. :/ But I definitely wouldn't be able to do it alone.

Also, I'm confused as to what everyone is signing up for. If we have 7 pages of student sign-ups, and all these people expect 1on1 service, I'm afraid we will quite literally never get through the entire list. Classes require no sign-ups you guys. You just show up. xD

Vrai
July 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Aero and I will get onto things tomorrow. This isn't going to die.

Khreep
July 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
To be honest, I'm a tutor and I completely agree with this. :x I don't know what happened with the others, but I've asked if they wanted to plan the class (the one that was supposed to happen this past sunday) but I blatantly got ignored by everyone. I asked again on Sunday, only to be ignored again. Perhaps I should organize it. :/ But I definitely wouldn't be able to do it alone.

Also, I'm confused as to what everyone is signing up for. If we have 7 pages of student sign-ups, and all these people expect 1on1 service, I'm afraid we will quite literally never get through the entire list. Classes require no sign-ups you guys. You just show up. xD

I hate to hijack this thread, but this topic is relevant anyways.

1) I am willing to help you organize the events and try my hand at networking/advertising to get people involved in this and in the CBC at large. I have some pretty great contacts but it depends on their availability and willingness.

2) I'm also one of those who applied for assistance but I really only need to work on teambuilding (lol... "only"). When I use pretty solid teams I can handle myself. Prediction and thought process is more of a practice and common sense thing than anything else. My point is I am also willing to get involved in the teaching part of the classes (if you were to organize your own version of this) if you or some other credible tutor could help me get through this. My teambuilding gets bogged down by overthinking and I need to fix that. Could possibly be solved in even one session then I'd be good to go as a tutor.

3) We should maybe continue this discussion through a PM if need be.

wolf
July 18th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I haven't had any time to bother with this at all. I am trying to get around to revamping the T&E and In-Game rules, along with preparing clans because apparently I need to get them done as fast as possible. I also had to get both Get-Together tournaments set up in the process, while helping a few users with their projects and then making sure I participate in PC's diplomacy game properly. Not to mention that there's a lot going on in my life currently which severely limits my time on PC. I wasn't able to come on Sunday due to unexpected events, so the second class couldn't have happened regardless if we did plan it. All of this at once didn't give me much chances to plan the second class. However, now that I have some things out of the way, I am sure the second class will be up and running next Sunday. I will get someone to co-host it so that if something like before doesn't happen again, I won't have to cancel it just because I wasn't able to attend it. Again, I apologize for all this, I took on too many things and overworked myself.

As for one-on-one tutoring, I am still waiting on the tutors to prepare for it, like I said before. Apparently, Vrai and Aero mentioned that they're setting up an outline for teaching. Vrai agreed to delay the one-on-one tutoring until they finish. I haven't received any word about it at all, but I was going to bug them about it again soon.

But anyway, I am not giving up on this or going to let this die since I know how much we've worked on to get this far. I never did give up on it.

.Aero
July 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I was urged to post my views on what went wrong the first time around and what I think we should do to fix it for the second program. In order to get it out in the open.

First off, the fact that a log wasn't posted the day of the tutoring ending (it should have been up within an hour to be honest, and I know more than one person was saving it iirc) really says a lot about how lazy we are. I thought we were trying to make a difference in CBC and get our act together. Do we even HAVE the log anymore? In which case, I kind of suggest we redo the first class, but with the organization it deserves, which brings me to my next issue.

Chaos. That's all I got from the server that day. So much chaos that I had to leave (mostly out of rage). When I tried to describe clauses and tiers, I was constantly sniped, told extra bits of info that were unneccessary (thus extending the time it took to complete). I just want the other tutors to realize "I do, in fact, play competitive pokemon, and have been for around 2 and half years. I know what clauses and tiers are thank you very much." Now, I was told I could discuss these two topics. It wasn't a hard task, but it seemed other tutors wanted to chip in and say the same stuff I was saying or was going to say. This caused a lot of confusion for the students, as I had received multiple messages from users (possibly because I was sitting at the top of the user list with a great ball next to my name) begging me to tell other tutors to shush because it was confusing to follow 10+ people saying little bits of info on one topic in no particular order.

That's the other thing. We have to assign people to certain topics. ONLY THEY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SPEAK DURING THAT SECTION. If that particular tutor left out a bit of info that another tutor feels is important, they can say what they wanted to say at the END of the section. Questions should be asked in the main chat as well, as that "Questions" channel was a failure anyway because nobody used it. I'm unsure as to how the questions should be handled though...If they wait until the end, it's not much of a class (As Anti told me in the PO chat), and if they happen in the main chat at random, it could slow us down severely.

Well anyway, I had other issues, like being told in the Staff Chat on PO that the tutoring was going just find and wasn't "that bad". I think the fact that the event itself gave me a headache says enough of how bad it was in the area of organization. I know it's a lot of information to throw at people who've never competitively battled before, and now that we know what we had planned for the initial class was too much, perhaps we could divide the introduction up into two or three parts and try again? I'd hate to restart the program with basics, but I can't imagine students got much out of the initial class.

I also disliked how we didn't plan at all, and just went ahead and winged it (wung it? Idk). We were supposed to plan a week in advance afaik, and we didn't, then we were going to plan the day of the tutoring before it actually started, but didn't. So I'm just hoping this next time around can be planned out a lot better and function more smoothly. That's what Vrai and I plan to figure out.

EDIT: What a lovely way to celebrate my 1.6K post.

EDIT2: ALSO, Khreep had a good idea, an RSVP sent to everyone who signed up, although I'd want to say, in this RSVP, we should state that the sign-up was strictly for the one-on-one tutoring, and not for classes (which only require you to show up on the PO server at the proper time). I can't imagine that there aren't a few people (and by a few, I mean 90%) who signed up and didn't read the first post to see that it's for 1 on 1 only.

Exile
July 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM
New Suggestion SMASH:

While I know 1 on 1 has failed in the past, what if we did it in a more casual way. basically we have a list of approved tutors, all year round and then a sticky for students to apply for tutoring. If a tutor is free and their timezone matches an applicant's, then they are paired and the applicant is tutored for 1-2 months. Firstly, each application for tutoring would need to be improved, by that I mean we wouldn’t let people be tutored if they’re just in it to “beat their brother’s Charizard” or something of that nature, while it’s somewhat elitist, I think that only applicants who show a true interest in battling and improving ought to be accepted, since our main goal is to cultivate new regulars out of this and build on the CBC Community and a regular would be easier to mold out of someone who already has stepped in the battling world a bit and now wants to get better and make battling part of their PC person, not some random who will probably never pop up again.

wolf
July 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
First off, the fact that a log wasn't posted the day of the tutoring ending (it should have been up within an hour to be honest, and I know more than one person was saving it iirc) really says a lot about how lazy we are. I thought we were trying to make a difference in CBC and get our act together. Do we even HAVE the log anymore? In which case, I kind of suggest we redo the first class, but with the organization it deserves, which brings me to my next issue.
Vrai and I have the log, I still need to filter out some things in it and organize it some, and also decide what to keep and what not to due to the first class being so untidy. It's understandable that it was a mess, because it was the first class and somewhat of a test to see how the future classes should be. We didn't realize all of that would happen when planning, but it did. Move on and correct past mistakes.

Chaos. That's all I got from the server that day.
Second class is going to have one user lead each subject (and that is going to be announced days before the class even starts). No one will be allowed to interrupt the "leaders" unless they have something important to say (that the leader forgot to). The server is going to be silenced during a subject, and at the end it will be removed for questioning, and then re-added for the next subject.

Questions should be asked in the main chat as well, as that "Questions" channel was a failure anyway because nobody used it.
It was used plenty. The issue with it was that it distracted students from the actual class and users spent time chatting there.

I'm unsure as to how the questions should be handled though...If they wait until the end, it's not much of a class (As Anti told me in the PO chat), and if they happen in the main chat at random, it could slow us down severely.
Only option in my opinion is having the schedule like this:

--- 1 Subject
-- 1 Subject Questions
--- 2 Subject
-- 2 Subject Questions

And so on. We don't want to answer thousands of questions at the very end, it should be separated. Having them at the end of each subject allows the students to understand it before we move on to something else. Future subjects could require the student to know the subject before, and having questions at the end would mean they would only understand until the very end of the class.

I know it's a lot of information to throw at people who've never competitively battled before, and now that we know what we had planned for the initial class was too much, perhaps we could divide the introduction up into two or three parts and try again? I'd hate to restart the program with basics, but I can't imagine students got much out of the initial class.
I am thinking of revamping the "Introduction to Competitive Battling" sticky thread so that it covers all the basics. The basics are easy enough to understand in a guide, and it doesn't require an actual class. It would take about 3 classes (maybe more for a thorough class) just to complete all of the basics...that would be way too much. I am going to redo the team building basics again, that was rushed.

I also disliked how we didn't plan at all, and just went ahead and winged it (wung it? Idk).
Again, learn from our mistakes. Of course we are going to plan it early, if we don't the same problems are going to occur. After the first class, we know what to iron out and what to keep.

ALSO, Khreep had a good idea, an RSVP sent to everyone who signed up, although I'd want to say, in this RSVP, we should state that the sign-up was strictly for the one-on-one tutoring, and not for classes (which only require you to show up on the PO server at the proper time). I can't imagine that there aren't a few people (and by a few, I mean 90%) who signed up and didn't read the first post to see that it's for 1 on 1 only.
Already am. I am not sending private messages to every single user that signed up though, only the users that are next in line for one-on-one tutoring. (So, the 8 members that posted first.) Half of the users that have signed up should know that it's only for one-on-one tutoring because of my red text warning (I put that in the first post half way during the sign ups to clear some confusion).

Even though you already started asking everyone, I would like to have a say in it before you do anything.

New Suggestion SMASH:

While I know 1 on 1 has failed in the past, what if we did it in a more casual way. basically we have a list of approved tutors, all year round and then a sticky for students to apply for tutoring. If a tutor is free and their timezone matches an applicant's, then they are paired and the applicant is tutored for 1-2 months. Firstly, each application for tutoring would need to be improved, by that I mean we wouldn’t let people be tutored if they’re just in it to “beat their brother’s Charizard” or something of that nature, while it’s somewhat elitist, I think that only applicants who show a true interest in battling and improving ought to be accepted, since our main goal is to cultivate new regulars out of this and build on the CBC Community and a regular would be easier to mold out of someone who already has stepped in the battling world a bit and now wants to get better and make battling part of their PC person, not some random who will probably never pop up again.
Isn't that what we are already doing? I am flirting with the idea of having a separate thread for one-on-one tutoring (or just for sign ups) though.

Also, I would prefer discussing this on the server channel like in the past rather than cluttering the main thread with this.

Tsvet
July 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Second class is going to have one user lead each subject (and that is going to be announced days before the class even starts). No one will be allowed to interrupt the "leaders" unless they have something important to say (that the leader forgot to). The server is going to be silenced during a subject, and at the end it will be removed for questioning, and then re-added for the next subject.

Just to add something to that:
Even if the active "teacher" seems to forgot something and another teacher noticed, would not be better if instead of saying it openly, just PVT him?

Then you can avoid some scenarios, like if the active teacher didn't forget, but actually is waiting for a better time to say it and you go there and break his rhythm.

That would suck. |:

RedDragonSilver
July 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
This is exactly what I need
Signing Up for Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Reddragonsilver
Timezone: EST (eastern standard time

-From team building on(though a review of everything would be best

-I'm free all summer

PDC
August 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: PDC
Timezone: GMT -5 East
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? : I am very strong as what happens during the battle, like making the right choices for moves and such. I'm also rather good in the team building aspect.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? : I am usually on most of the day, you can find me on PC server quite often.

sworm09
August 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: sworm09
Timezone: EST, GMT -5
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team Building, Prediction, Strategy, Countering threats.
I am usually free on weekdays between 4pm and 9pm EST and on weekends from 3pm to 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays.